Page 43 of 140 < 1 2 ... 41 42 43 44 45 ... 139 140 >
Topic Options
#1211224 - 23/09/2013 17:22 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Wantirna, Vic
Re: my last 2 posts - I must have jinxed the Gippsland seismo, it's gone off-line blush
But another Vic seismo has shown a wee bit of sporadic movement s88b v

Other states have shown some interesting movements as well - RSUW Live seismo's

For now, Duck.

#1211275 - 24/09/2013 08:54 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

There have been some 'interesting' EQ's since my last post on the Vic weather thread at 1am this morning (the temperature seemed to be rising here instead of decreasing - 21+ degrees celsius...).

The regions north of the Australian mainland, namely PNG and a couple of Indonesian regions experienced M5's and an M5+ (New Ireland PNG) - all reasonably shallow at under 100kms deep. I had a feeling (as I mentioned in previous posts) that there would be the possibility of some shallower (than the several deep quakes recently) EQ's in the short term)) following on from the deep quakes in the west of the Pacific (e.g. the Mariana Islands and near Guam).

Yellowstone has come up with another smaller movement; Lone Grove, Oklahoma has had several movements (one recorded at M3.2 at 5kms deep); Bonin Islands, Japan has had a very deep M4.8; White Island, New Zealand had a fairly deep (200+kms) tremor (volcanic?); New Zealand remains reasonably active in several places and many of the quakes around the planet have been shallow predominantly between 0 and 50kms deep, others between 51 and 100kms deep (roughly).

The west of Canada (off shore) had an M3.5 (Pacific Ocean side) at 196kms deep.

Anyway, if you want to read about how some of the folks in Indonesia, Oklahoma, Alaska and Ecuador have felt about the quakes they have endured - see here- the Earthquake Report responses

For the moment, Duck.

#1211293 - 24/09/2013 14:02 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

#1211326 - 24/09/2013 17:40 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

I've been watching a buoy up in the NW of the Indian Ocean, towards Yemen. I've got a feeling an EQ is brewing in the ocean region there...will see.

Duck.

#1211330 - 24/09/2013 17:56 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Well blow me down....the Carlsberg Ridge near Yemen has just come on the Global Incident Map with an M5.6 (144kms deep). Just checked the Earthquake Report site and it has also registered this quake.
My 'feelings' must have been in overload..I kept getting drawn to this region today and the buoy near that area had been showing jitters too.

Gobsmacked (beak-smacked) Duck.

#1211341 - 24/09/2013 18:48 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Just regarding the Carlsberg Ridge quake, the U.S.G.S and the GEOFON have it pinned at 10kms deep and the EMSC has it at 200kms deep.
Global Incidents Map
Earthquake Report site

Duck.

#1211363 - 24/09/2013 22:20 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
teckert Offline
Weatherzone Moderator

Loc: NE suburbs, Adelaide, South Au...
BIG one in Pakistan, followed by major aftershocks

#1211367 - 24/09/2013 22:37 Re: Earthquakes [Re: teckert]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Teckert, this is a big one, with many troubles involved for the folks there.
The best I can offer here for the moment are links to some sites with updating info for the moment.

USGS event page

page 2 of Earthquake Report

Main page of Earthquake Report

Global Incident map

This is not about me of course, but the buoy below Pakistan was what was bothering me, apart from being strongly drawn to this general region. The EQ on the Carlsberg Ridge is on a 'fault' (plate edge) which runs (continues on) directly past where this Pakistan quake occurred.

Let's hope that there have been no casualties, but the potential impact of this quake; it's shallow depth and strength is enough to have definitely cause some potentially serious issues I would imagine.

For now, Duck...

Edited by duckweather (24/09/2013 22:44)
Edit Reason: bit extra

#1211379 - 25/09/2013 08:38 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

A tremor registering M2.8 (USGS) in Alabama today was caused by a mining explosion - here's the USGS record of this incident/tremor

To keep up with how the Pakistan quake/s has affected communities there, refer to the "page 2" link in my above post, re: the Earthquake Report site.

The region near Eureka in California (which I mention a fair bit) has experienced an M3.5+ tremor. This one was just inland and just south of Eureka. There was another, an M3, just off shore and just SW of Eureka.

The earthquake(s) in Pakistan sent reverberations almost around the planet. Many of our seismo's responded with movements, some which looked like a fast heart beat and some registers on some seismo's looked like electric shocks. I wonder if this movement will 'upset' some 'vulnerable' zones/faults?

For the moment, Duck.

#1211383 - 25/09/2013 09:10 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

No.2 post for today already....

Maybe I've had one too many coffees already this morning, but while standing on my decking, looking east (beyond the Dandenong Ranges), I observed a hazy cloud transforming continually (but smoothly) through various presentations of gridding/ribbing. The grids formed in one direction (NE to SW) and then changed to a N/S angle. Several stretches of 'lines' formed, then dissipated. The top of the cloud formed some points, then hazed out.
Ok..you probably think this ol' Duck is delirious with caffeine/coffee...and you may be right smile But it caught my eye and may mean zilch regarding a potential tremor for this region (towards Gippsland)....

#1211386 - 25/09/2013 09:46 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Ran out of time to edit/add to the above post.
I was looking up some info on the Alabama mine explosion and came across an article which describes how the folks have just held a remembrance service for those who lost their lives in an Alabama mining explosion 12 years ago, almost to the day (yesterday, U.S. time).
This is the article posted on 25th Sept. 2013 - "Many gather to remember fallen miners at 12th Annual Brookwood Miners Memorial Service"

How sad for the Alabama community if they have experienced another mine explosion. Hopefully no-one lost their lives.
I can't find any other info on 'today's explosion' yet.

For now, Duck.

#1211397 - 25/09/2013 11:28 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
Xavo Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Airlie Beach & Brisbane
Originally Posted By: duckweather

Let's hope that there have been no casualties, but the potential impact of this quake; it's shallow depth and strength is enough to have definitely cause some potentially serious issues I would imagine.

Hopefully no more casualties reported frown.

But also this quake has provided an unusual chance to study ocean sediments & the seafloor with much less expense and (presumably) at a higher resolution than before (depending on how deep it is at the location.
http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/09/24/us-pakistan-quake-idUSBRE98N0HJ20130924

Will be interesting from many potential aspects.

#1211399 - 25/09/2013 11:55 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Xavo]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

I agree with you Xavo.
Though the epicenter of the quake/s was on land, for the sea bed to respond tells me that the Carslberg Ridge quake before the Pakistan quake may have been a 'sign' or the precursor for the latter quake (and/or related). For the sea bed to rise, and this is where it becomes more interesting (if I can say that), the focus of studying this quake/s will not just be where the epicenter is. The energy force surrounding this activity must have been incredible. And, it appears to have been northward (?) bound.

Generally speaking, we humans being predominantly land dwellers, may tend to observe the land for cause and effect of earthquakes as they occur.
There is tending to be a greater included focus on the ocean beds 'these days' and how what goes on off land (at sea) is very important in providing info on what can occur on/in inland/offshore/coastal regions' quakes in some places.

As I mentioned in a previous post, there have been quite a few more buoys deployed in some ocean/sea (and onland) regions recently. This, to my mind, displays a perceived need to monitor the potential correlation between land and sea movements and inter-relationships.

This emergent land mass in the Arabian Sea is a reminder of these potentials' and that there can be more than meets the eye with on land EQ's.

I feel there may be more of these fascinating sea-born mounds and even volcanic vents to be discovered or could emerge in the future. The Atlantic, the western Pacific and possibly the Mediterranean regions (very general, large area) are a few examples of regions which, I feel, may have the potential to produce similar sea-bed occurrences.....

The death toll in Pakistan is terrible. And, I too hope that there will be no more loss of lives to be reported.

For now, Duck.

#1211426 - 25/09/2013 17:40 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

That M2.8 in Alabama may have been mine blasting and not an explosion...the U.S.G.S. still has it listed as an explosion, but after searching for information on this event, I can't find anything on any news channel which describes it as a local disaster event. Some locals, leaving comments on their local news sites, are not mentioning any industrial accident, but some are suspecting mine blasting in the area.

The SE of the Pacific Ocean, Tonga, Santa Cruz Islands and the Fiji regions have all come up with M4+'s. The SE Pacific was an M5.4 at 33kms deep. I suspected that some 'vulnerable' regions (including NE of Pakistan - Hindu Kush Afghanistan) may come up with some moderate EQ's. There may be more to come in the Pacific and the eastern side of the Mediterranean.
I am also still watching the Himalayan region.

For now, Duck.

Edited by duckweather (25/09/2013 17:42)
Edit Reason: bit extra

#1211430 - 25/09/2013 18:24 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Sorry to have overloaded on my posting today blush

Just wanted to mention that I am 'watching' these regions in Oz for maybe the potential of movements in the following regions;

SE of Batemans Bay (maybe off shore) NSW,
between Bordertown and Renmark in S.A.,
NW of Victoria,
south (100 or so kms) of Griffith NSW,
near Cleve in S.A..

These are just feelings folks, not predictions. I may be very wrong for these regions to perhaps feel tremors.

#1211540 - 26/09/2013 13:52 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

This the first chance I have had today to sit down and catch up on what's been happening on the earthquake front....

Peru's M7 caused landslides, house collapses and there may be miners trapped in a copper mine. Here's an article which is quite thorough in its description - "Peru to rescue copper miners reportedly trapped after quake" - Reuters

The Earthquake Report's listing of quakes/responses

USGS event summary

Some areas, apart from Peru (within that lowerSE section of the Pacific), which I felt may experience tremors/quakes within this general time frame (48 hours or so) - Near Gulf of Alaska; Canada east - near Rimouski and Montreal; The Atlantic; the general eastern Mediterranean region, west of Spain/Portugal, shallow'ish quakes in the Pacific Island regions and others.

Most of the quakes (about 95% roughly) have been on the shallower side of their depth - between 0 and 100 approx.
My feelings suggest that when we witness very deep quakes occurring, such as the Mariana's and the large quakes like Pakistan for example, that shallower quakes may be triggered (for varying reasons) globally, and particularly in vulnerable places.

As an unscientific comment and feeling, I think Canada's west coast is partially releasing some of the pressures being built up by all the movements in the Pacific and maybe the energy being exerted by the California plate movements (San Andreas as an example).

There may be a couple more M6's to occur, perhaps in the Pacific region and maybe related to the Atlantic, yet....? Even Iceland may come back into the picture (or within its general region) with a moderate tremor...will see.

For the moment, Duck.

#1211588 - 26/09/2013 17:53 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

At about 1.30 this morning somebody from Croydon in Melbourne's outer east, reported a deep ground rumble (on the Earthquake Report site) and appears in the ER section as ??M2.9.
Last night we had heavy rains and storm like conditions ripping through Vic and multiple flashes of lightning near the Croydon and outer areas.
But here's a funny thing. I too heard an explosive sound, like the clap of thunder after a lightning bolt....but there was no flash of light (I was awake at that time). The sound was strange (and just may have been electrified atmospheric phenomenon) and sounded like something 'rushing' (wooshing) past under foot and then an explosive boom.
Now...this may have been purely weather related, but it was rather different to any electrical storm activity I have experienced.
I will be interested to see if Geoscience notes any movements from down under, or whether it was just a weather effect.

Anyway, Mexico came up with a near M6 earlier, which may have been one of the M6's I was anticipating may occur today in the Pacific (re: last post). Click a previous post link to the Earthquake Report site for info on today's quake.

Duck.

#1211600 - 26/09/2013 20:08 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
GDL Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Bowen Mountain NSW
D W five years ago we were hearing sounds like sonic booms once or twice a week,lasted about 3 weeks i put it down to aircraft or meteor breaking the sound barrier.Not so sure now haing read many of your posts,the Kurrajong fault is only about 5 k,s away and mabey that was the sorce of the sounds. .....GDL

#1211608 - 26/09/2013 20:51 Re: Earthquakes [Re: GDL]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi GDL wink .
With the crazy weather we had here last night, I really couldn't say with any certainty that what I, and possibly the Croydon folks, heard early this morning, was a fault boom or an electrical atmospheric happening, but it was a weird sound.
We have had some interesting sounds emanating from 'below' in the last couple of years, and when the Lilydale fault boom occurred not that long ago, amongst other fault jitters, I actually wouldn't be surprised if there was some sort of movement last night. Even our 'local' seismo's have (and are) registering some continuing vibrations, the source of which may be continuing subtle reverberations from the major quakes occurring and/or the odd atmospheric conditions and/or the planets current plate agitations quietly affecting many lands and/or other subtle land/sea plate/faults gearing up for more small or other movements.
So, to be more succinct, the source of the noise 'we' heard last night is a little unclear (to me anyway).

For the moment, Duck.

#1211676 - 27/09/2013 15:57 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Just had to put this article (link) here for all you folks, interested in how the new 'island' off Pakistan is going.
Before I add the link, I thought I'd offer up a bit of the info in the article which may raise your eyebrows and perhaps singe more than that if you happen to be one of those fascinated folks flocking to the island to check it out.

That bit of pre-info.....a journalist set on fire, some of the gas being emitted from the new island (I will call the Rumbler) and had some trouble putting out the fire....... crazy

Ok...here's the link to the article - "Pakistan earthquake island belching poisonous gas"

Cheers for now, Duck.

Edited by duckweather (27/09/2013 15:58)
Edit Reason: spelling

Page 43 of 140 < 1 2 ... 41 42 43 44 45 ... 139 140 >

Who's Online
4 registered (ashestoashes, Nature's Fury, 2 invisible), 47 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Today's Birthdays
Canoncloud, Deanmc, skylark, tornado freak, vic
Forum Stats
29654 Members
32 Forums
23963 Topics
1498049 Posts

Max Online: 2925 @ 02/02/2011 22:23
Satellite Image