Page 5 of 64 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 63 64 >
Topic Options
#1115649 - 20/07/2012 00:33 Re: sharks [Re: Brett Guy]
S .O. Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Southern Victoria
Even though the West is a little less environmentally conscious ( as a whole , the population on average ) it will be interesting when this recent proliferation of Seal numbers and add to that whales , sees increasing number's of GW population slowly spread East . And when you see regular attacks in the South and Eastern states , and more so ( NSW/QLD ) . Will be interesting to see people's responses change .

Originally Posted By: Brett Guy
Deal with it. Everyone knows the potential risks. No shark deserves to die because someone thinks they have more right to the water than the sharks.

this is a bit insensitive .....

Especially considering some " Nth Qld Cowboys " approach to Croc' activities . I can bet you a Zillion dollars that if a large aggressive resident Croc was to anchor itself along the coast around a few of Cairns Nthn Beaches like Palm Cove & Trinity Beach , that they would be " quietly relocated " with something resembling wood & metal stick that goes Bang .

Lets not forget we're talking about WA here . If the water wasn't so beautiful , essentially there would be no point living there .....Apart from the SW corner lushness , the rest of the State is one big Sand Pit ( with obvious exclusion of a couple of Iron rich ore deposit's and maybe a Gold mine or two ;-)
Hence they actually use their water , Cane Toads don't swim , do they ????? lol ( tongue so firm in cheak that there is now two Chins parallel to each other. )

#1115684 - 20/07/2012 08:54 Re: sharks [Re: S .O.]
Brett Guy Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Bently Park, Cairns
I agree a croc would be quickly relocated or potentially killed annd I am completely against that as well. Mind you capture and rlocation is a hell of a lot better than killing and you cant capture and rlocate a great white. Humans have the ability to make an innformed descision to go into a peotentially dangerous situation. I choose not to swim in croc water but plenty of people do and when they get grabbed it is the croc that is blamed. How does that work? Those who get grabbed have made the choice themselves and by doing so have accepted responsibility for the consequences. I believe it is fine for humans to kill animals for the right reasons. eg catching fish for food. Why then is it wrong when an animal does the same thing. And when you think about the numbers it really isnt an issue. 5 or so in ten months. Think about how many sharks people have killled in the same period.

#1115805 - 21/07/2012 00:05 Re: sharks [Re: Brett Guy]
S .O. Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Southern Victoria
Brett ,

I don't particularly want to kill any animals unecessarily . And i haven't called for any culling either . I just feel that something needs to be discussed .
But i do get over all this Hug the Animals stuff . We the Human race are here because WE are the Prime Killers . Not the Sharks. Although Sharks are formidable hunters , i think the Numbers are squarely on the board for the Human race . I don't gloat in this , but if forever was your theory that wherever is whatevers domain . Then we wouldn't be here discussing this as educated Homo Sapiens . We'd be the extinct archaeological bones found in Some cave in Africa or whatever , because we were too scared to leave the safety of its Shelter .

Survival of the fittest , and as i said above . People who aren't really into swimming in Beautiful but dangerous waters don't .
But others that do , then all power to them . The only problem is , there isn't too many places along the world's shorelines where the GW won't frequent at some time . So unlike some muddy mangrove waters , that most humans aren't keen on enjoying . Defining where the Sharks belong and the Humans don't , will become blurred when the Number of Sharks ( in all waters , not just the pristine ones that encourage Whale Migration ) return to levels that they would have been found in Before the Start of the Whaling / sealing days . I have the feeling that the numbers increase in these waters is due to the Warmish and unpoluted waters compared to the east coast . Remembering , that with the exception of the Gascoigne River , there aren't too many large river over there that have been flushed out of late with Flooding Rains . As opposed to this side of the Continent . So clean waters can have a bad outcome .?!
There's no easy answers , you can't have large numbers of Seals and Whales without their Scavengers . So the same people who " LOVE " the Ocean and also all the animals that inhabit it , can't have their Cake and Eat it too .....

Edited by Southern Oracle (21/07/2012 00:13)

#1115829 - 21/07/2012 09:47 Re: sharks [Re: Popeye]
pogonantha Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Maadi, Tully area
Originally Posted By: Popeye
the law of averages is saying that there will be mistaken attacks by the great whites and if they happen to be hungry they may decide to eat their kill human or not.

Mistaken attacks...Hmmm..I'm no expert but I am of the opinion that if a large shark is hungry,angry ,bored or whatever than a human is just as at risk of attack as any other similar sized animal in the sea...

Particularly in regards to the Great White ...with no arms or hands to investigate or feel with, they tend to use their mouths to test,feel or taste all manner of objects... so unfortunately even if they are not even hungry just an inquisitive nip can be disastrous for a human..

5 deaths in almost a year...compared with over a 1000 road deaths a year and 40000 cancer related deaths in Australia each year I say the ocean is a pretty safe place to be....unless of course you happened to be one of those very unlucky 5...

#1115844 - 21/07/2012 11:25 Re: sharks [Re: pogonantha]
Popeye Offline
Meteorological Motor Mouth

Loc: Cable Beach - Broome WA
If the spots where attacks occurred in WA were isolated areas and once off's I guess the public would feel the ocean is fairly safe place to be but in reality the attacks over the last decade Cottesloe beach - Perth's premier beach, Gracetown/Margaret River/Bunker Bay/Busselton - The Southwests premier holiday areas, world class surfing destination and one of the states leading tourism areas, Rottnest Island - Perths premier island holiday destination for families and visitors which is a swimming, snorkelling and diving mecca in WA, Abrolhos island - beautiful offshore islads off Geraldton, crayfishing snorkelling and now Wedge island - Perths premier Northern Beach drive famous for locals wanting to escape and seek a beautiful wild and free spot.

So the issue is, the attacks are occuring where any everyday average joe and his family will no doubt visit at least once a year if you live in WA. Which when all your favourite places to visit in the state people are getting snapped up by great whites it does create a feeling that the ocean isn't all that safe a place for your self and family.

#1115846 - 21/07/2012 11:31 Re: sharks [Re: pogonantha]
Popeye Offline

Originally Posted By: pogonantha

Mistaken attacks...Hmmm..I'm no expert but I am of the opinion that if a large shark is hungry,angry ,bored or whatever than a human is just as at risk of attack as any other similar sized animal in the sea...

Yeah I tend to agree. Literature on attacks over the years has lead us to believe , or at least tried to alleviate our fears by saying that most attacks from Great whites are probably due to mistaken identity. It does raise the question in my mind whether their is a shark out there that is responsible for more than one attack and they don't mind the taste of humans. A bit like 'MMM I ate one of those things last month, was OK might have another one'. Brings images of the movie JAWS to mind.

I guess we will have to wait and see what the next few months brings for WA and possibly even other states as well.

#1159336 - 17/01/2013 15:39 Re: sharks [Re: Popeye]
david frank Offline
Cloud Gazer

Sharks are mainly recognized from its head where five to seven gill
slits are shown. Sharks skin is protected as they are covered of
dermal denticles.

#1212871 - 09/10/2013 08:52 Re: sharks [Re: terrified]
Gad Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Silkstone
Diver attacked by shark near Esperance on Western Australia's south-east coast 8-10-13

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-10-08/diver-attacked-by-shark-near-esperance/5009228

A professional abalone diver who survived a shark attack in 2004 has been seriously injured in a second encounter off Western Australia's south-east coast.

Greg Pickering was attacked on Tuesday while diving in remote waters off Poison Creek beach, 160 kilometres east of the town of Esperance.

Mr Pickering, 55, has serious injuries in what is his second shark attack experience

The diver was bitten by a bronze whaler off Cervantes, north of Perth, in 2004.

#1212874 - 09/10/2013 09:45 Re: sharks [Re: terrified]
pogonantha Offline
Weather Freak

It might be time for Mr Pickering to take up Lawn bowls..

I spent the last couple of days at the reef and had problems landing fish ..lost so many to the sharks..

#1212884 - 09/10/2013 11:41 Re: sharks [Re: terrified]
Popeye Offline

Youch. I heard on the news this morning he sustained injuries to his face, head, chest and stomach areas. He is a very lucky man. We have now got discovery channel and National Geographic channel on our TV/Internet deal and the latest Australian series to be produced is 'Abalone Wars' which calls it one of the most dangerous jobs in the world. No doubt this latest attack gives the series a bit more credential.

#1212890 - 09/10/2013 13:07 Re: sharks [Re: terrified]
Brett Guy Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Bently Park, Cairns
And now there is a catch and kill order on the shark(or in relity any random sharks that the revenge bound happen to come a cross). The lack of intelligence in society is mind boggling.

#1212891 - 09/10/2013 13:08 Re: sharks [Re: terrified]
Popeye Offline

Other news article says head, face, chest and back. Also they showed an interview of his attack from back in 2004 and it has him saying, 'One incident in 34 years (of him being in the water) its a very isolated case'. Now you can add another to that isolated case. 2 cases in 43 years. Shark magnet!!

Like Poganantha said. Time for him to take up another hobby/job I think.

#1212892 - 09/10/2013 13:17 Re: sharks [Re: Brett Guy]
Popeye Offline

Originally Posted By: Brett Guy
And now there is a catch and kill order on the shark(or in relity any random sharks that the revenge bound happen to come a cross). The lack of intelligence in society is mind boggling.

Yeah I found it a bit strange for them to jump all over this catch and kill order especially considering its a very isolated remote beach with only the hardiest 4WD's gong out there. Fair enough if its in a major city like Perth and its cruising around and it can be seen from a helicopter and the community goes into panic. Maybe do something about it. But not down there.

I guess it wasn't that long ago when 4-5 attacks occurred in quick succession and WA was seen as the most dangerous place to swim in the world for fatal shark attacks. Authorities may be trying to alleviate any fear that the tourist/public have.

With the humpback whales returning down the West coast over the next 2 months its prime time for big Great Whites to be all over the SWest WA coast. In all honesty if WA can get through the next 2 months without a few more attacks I would be surprised. Watch this space as I think we will be returning to this forum regularly between now and December with more attacks potentially on the cards.

#1212895 - 09/10/2013 13:25 Re: sharks [Re: terrified]
Popeye Offline

I am not sure if anyone watched the shark tracking story on Sunday Sunday night Feature article - Tracking the Great white.

These guys have tagged a bunch of Sharks throughout the world to better get an understanding on their movements and also possibly to warn areas of big sharks entering waters where people are swimming. The Australian Government doesn't want a bar of it which is a pity. I think it would be interesting to get an idea about their movements. It is a bit strange though catching these wild animals and attaching a big SAT tag on them. I guess if it does no major harm to them its OK. Bit of Human control over animals really.

WA's response to them in a letter from Troy Buswell explains a few things I guess.

'In recent years the WA Government has made an unprecedented investment in shark research and has formed a dedicated shark response unit for the tagging and tracking of sharks. WAs shark monitoring infrastructure is unprecedented and under the guidance of our scientists, it is unlocking unknown knowledge of white sharks.

The tagging program, which extends from South Australia to WA, has more than 130 tagged white sharks and about 320 receivers embedded in WAs seabed up and down our coast. On top of this we also have 20 satellite receivers that can give real time information on the presence of a tagged white shark, which can be monitored 24 hours a day by the public.'

So I guess its already covered.

Edited by Popeye (09/10/2013 13:29)

#1212897 - 09/10/2013 13:50 Re: sharks [Re: terrified]
Popeye Offline

Wow 10 hours of surgery to stitch him up. The poor bloke. Latest reports are saying the catch and kill order was not well liked. I guess its easier to speak up in opposition to a topic like that rather than support it and look like the aggressor who wants them all killed.

#1212947 - 09/10/2013 21:42 Re: sharks [Re: terrified]
SBT Offline

Loc: Townsville Dry Tropics
Pretty silly idea trying to find and kill the shark.

If it isn't hanging around then every minute that goes past it is moving away from the area and that alone would make it damn hard to find let alone catch. 24 hours x 4 knots potentially means it could be up to 170+klm away (you could probably halve that as it wanders along though).

What it boils down to is if you dress like a seal and get bitten who is really at fault? The bloke for just trying to earn a living or the shark who just wants a feed and mistakes the bloke for a seal? Leave it alone.
2017 Total 855mm
2016 Total 649mm
2015 Total 375mm
2014 Total 1032mm
2013 Total 715mm

#1212951 - 09/10/2013 21:53 Re: sharks [Re: terrified]
Popeye Offline

Yeah that catch and kill order was cancelled this arvo. They called it at the time apparently cause it was school holidays and there were quite a few campers in the immediate area and it was a potential risk.

The bloke bitten will have a good story to tell. Ab divers are gutsy in my opinion. I thought they used those dive cages with the little motors on them? If your exposed with no cage and wearing black you look like a seal or sea lion searching the rock crevices for crayfish. No wonder the Shark came in for an attack. It no doubt would be repeating previous responses that resulted in a successful kill of a seal only this time it was a poor Ab diver.

#1212995 - 10/10/2013 09:46 Re: sharks [Re: terrified]
pogonantha Offline
Weather Freak

I also wonder about the mentality of wearing black wetsuits..particularly during the early morning and late afternoon and in limited visibility situations..

Here's an old article with some interesting theories..

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/a...ue-wetsuit.html

And I do agree, popeye, that ab divers are very gutsy individuals...diving in cold, murky water in rough seas full of toothy predators is a hell of a way to make a living..

#1213119 - 10/10/2013 23:22 Re: sharks [Re: terrified]
ColdFront Offline

Loc: Wide Bay..Near the beach
Abalone divers know the risk. They have done for decades. The shark was there first and the fact he survived means it was barely interested. We are not their preferred food source. Just mistaken for it. In this case it probably tasted but didn't like what it bit as is often the case. Unfortunately a taste can mean a fatality with the world's strongest bite coupled to incredibly sharp teeth.

I watched that segment on 7 Popeye. Excellent research. Makes you wonder though. They can issue a kill order but then in the next breath say that tagging sharks on a dry dock is a risk to the shark . It smacks of hypocrisy. They could save lives and these divers could be fore warned of a shark in the area.

The end result is safer waters and these magnificent creatures being less likely to fall victim to knee jerkers. Don't be surprised if the diver demanded they called off the kill order.

#1215131 - 26/10/2013 18:09 Re: sharks [Re: terrified]
Popeye Offline

A reported attack on a diver/snorkelers fins off Hillary's Boat Harbour in Perth. Little Island is a known haul out area for Sea Lions and has great snorkelling. Have been out there quite a few times over the years. Surf break off the back is known to be a bit sharky.

The West Shark attack news

Page 5 of 64 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 63 64 >

Who's Online
5 registered (Jimi, Rhino, Dr Philosophy, pagey, 1 invisible), 262 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Today's Birthdays
Ganesh, Lizardman
Forum Stats
29444 Members
32 Forums
23761 Topics
1472340 Posts

Max Online: 2925 @ 02/02/2011 22:23
Satellite Image