NOTICE!

The Weatherzone forum has now closed and is in read-only mode until the 1st of November when it will close permanently. We would like to thank everyone who has contributed over the past 18 years.

If you would like to continue the discussion you can follow us on Facebook and Twitter or participate in discussions at AusWeather or Ski.com.au forums.

Page 11 of 11 < 1 2 ... 9 10 11
Topic Options
#121519 - 31/12/2006 11:15 Re: aquiess - controlling the weather?
Gum-nut Offline

David,what seems to be your problem with our cynicism....I like it.....it's a part of our healthy way of life.We call into check anyone who makes claims that don't stack up; from Prime Ministers to local would be inventors. You may notice that we also acknowledge genuine achievement....witness Shane Warne's achievements recently. Or did you mention AUSTRALIAN cynicism by accident.....not happy with the Aussie style....I like my home among the gum-trees. Gum-nut

#121520 - 31/12/2006 13:59 Re: aquiess - controlling the weather?
Grinch Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: ACT
I requested data from Aquiess months ago in fact I think it was even last year and posted the same request and replies in this thread.
http://www.weatherzone.com.au/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=005921;p=2
Aquiess were really good at supplying the spin but did not even come up with one shred of evidence or data for review by the more knowledgeable and qualified types that hang out here in the zone.
This is typical behaviour of smoke and mirror operations, no wonder we are cynical.
Aquiess need to have their claims peer reviewed, however I suspect that they will not do this and claim that they will be subjected to scientific discrimination or some such guff to avoid the scrutiny.
Aquiess all your troubles and the accusations of witch doctoring the weather and preying on the vulnerable can be made to go away in one easy step.
PUT UP OR SHUT UP!
It is simple as that.
:cheers:

#121521 - 31/12/2006 18:46 Re: aquiess - controlling the weather?
toony Offline

Loc: Sydney, near the airport
I've vowed to stay clear of these types of weather debate due to past experiences of them getting heated and becoming personal very quickly.

However, I do want to add to the debate after reading many people using the word "con artist", which tends to spiral the debate out of control very quickly. Robert L. Park (Prof of physics) wrote this outstanding short article "The Seven Warning Signs of Bogus Science", used by judges in America to recognise questionable scientific claims.

http://chronicle.com/free/v49/i21/21b02001.htm
(excellent examples are given for all 7 signs)

For those that don't want to read the short articles, the 7 warning signs are:

1. The discoverer pitches the claim directly to the media.

2. The discoverer says that a powerful establishment is trying to suppress his or her work.

3. The scientific effect involved is always at the very limit of detection.

4. Evidence for a discovery is anecdotal.

5. The discoverer says a belief is credible because it has endured for centuries.

6. The discoverer has worked in isolation.

7. The discoverer must propose new laws of nature to explain an observation.

*Of course, they are only warning signs -- even a claim with several of the signs could be legitimate*

I urge people to evaluate the claims of Aquiess, against the checklist and come to their own conclusions, rather than being persuaded by the "passionate" debate on both sides.

#121522 - 01/01/2007 20:41 Re: aquiess - controlling the weather?
aquiess Offline

Loc: Inventor / Designer
Adon, I'd say you were outside my target buddy!

Agreed we didn't get enough. But I think we will review the strategy and go for a more vast approach... perhaps you may be interested that this year there is no charge for farmers.
Aquiess.

#121523 - 06/01/2007 21:55 Re: aquiess - controlling the weather?
BD (Bucketing Down) Offline

Loc: Eastern Adelaide Hills, SA
David
If it rains in 2007 that will prove nothing to anyone,unfortunately. You need a properly conducted scientific experiment with some relevant authorities,
like Snowy Hydro Authority as they are doing with cloud-seeding experiments. Otherwise, it rains sometimes, fine, but it does that almost all years!

#1007456 - 22/08/2011 21:15 Re: aquiess - controlling the weather? [Re: BD (Bucketing Down)]
TrenthamStormchasers Offline
Meteorological Motor Mouth

Loc: Trentham 705m
Well, he's back again......and this time he's advertising that he stopped the drought!!

http://www.aquiess.com/aquiess_Spring09_R_Public.pdf

I wonder if he had approval and had referred..."to the section of the Rain-Making Control Act (yes, there is one) which makes it an offence to carry out rain-making operations in the state of Victoria without the authority of the Minister."

#1007471 - 22/08/2011 22:25 Re: aquiess - controlling the weather? [Re: TrenthamStormchasers]
SBT Offline
Meteorological Motor Mouth

Loc: Townsville Dry Tropics
I prefer "Belongs in the Lounge with the HAARP thread" but as Michael Shermer would more politely put it:

Psuedoscience:

Quote:
"1. How reliable is the source of the claim? Pseudoscientists often appear quite reliable, but when examined closely, the facts and figures they cite are distorted, taken out of context, or occasionally even fabricated."

"2. Does this source often make similar claims? Pseudoscientists have a habit of going well beyond the facts."

"3. Have the claims been verified by another source? Typically, pseudoscientists make statements that are unverified or verified only by a source within their own belief circle"

"4. How does the claim fit with what we know about how the world operates? An extraordinary claim must be placed into a larger context to see how it fits."

"5. Has anyone gone out of the way to disprove the claim, or has only supportive evidence been sought? This is the confirmation bias, or the tendency to seek confirmatory evidence and to reject or ignore disconfirmatory evidence."

Hmm testimonials from farmers? Now who else uses these as absolute proof that he can predict weather by moon gazing? I wonder? wink

You may also like to check out : http://www.lutz-sanfilippo.com/library/general/lsfmethods.html for a further in depth explanation of what is psuedoscience.

Edited by Sir BoabTree (22/08/2011 22:31)
2019 Total 1714mm
2018 Total 822mm

#1105074 - 21/05/2012 13:57 Re: aquiess - controlling the weather? [Re: SBT]
Orwellian Offline
Cloud Gazer

He's at it again- this time at the UN of all places! It would be great subject material for another Sacha Baron Cohen movie. LOL !!!!

Page 11 of 11 < 1 2 ... 9 10 11

Who's Online
0 registered (), 51 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Today's Birthdays
Evil Kitty, Jake, ka0tik_pengwin, Nullamanna WX, shaunandwendy, stormygirl
Forum Stats
29947 Members
32 Forums
24194 Topics
1529247 Posts

Max Online: 2985 @ 26/01/2019 12:05
Satellite Image