Page 53 of 129 < 1 2 ... 51 52 53 54 55 ... 128 129 >
Topic Options
#1224433 - 09/12/2013 19:09 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Petros]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Wantirna, Vic
Hey Petros wink

The ground is still very subtly rumbling every so often...sometimes minutes apart and on other occasions about 15 to 20 minutes apart.
I didn't think that was the end of the initial movements. Will see if the initial M3 and M2.4 were precursors to another 'felt' movement...?

Cheers, Duck.

#1224597 - 11/12/2013 10:45 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi folks.
Just a quick note, as I have been and am busy atm.
We just had another small rumble through here about 10 minutes ago which was picked up on the local seismo's. Though can't see it on Narracan seismo (?)....
Back later wink

#1224689 - 11/12/2013 22:32 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi folks.
I've hardly had any time to jot my usual (and sometimes excessive smile ) posts here in the last 24 hours or so.

Anyways, apart from a few M5's popping up on the globe today and the Mediterranean region being quite active with 'smaller' EQ's today, there seems not to have been the 'regular' numerous tremors/quakes dotted around our planet today. In other words, it's been a little quieter today.

The buoys east of Sapporo (northern Japan) at sea, are showing some slightly messy readings atm., A buoy in the Coral Sea (east of northern Oz) has been showing some very small jittery readings, which maybe very small water disturbances from quakes near Vanuatu/Santa Cruz regions.
The buoys in the very north of the Arabian Sea have been off-line for a short while now...?

I am quite sure there may be tremors put up on the Geoscience website at some point for movements yesterday and today. Such movements may only be between M1.5 and M3. Will wait to see if they go up on the site tomorrow.

I get a feeling that an M6 (maybe M6+) is brewing in the Pacific. I also get a bit of a feeling that we may see a 'run' of potential M6's in the near term and that Oz may even feel an M4 soon.

For the moment, Duck.

#1224750 - 12/12/2013 13:48 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi folks.

There seems to be a bit of a cluster (of sorts) of tremors venturing or straying from the general region of Yellowstone, out towards Washington (west coast) - and the locations in between.
Now having said that, I have only just got on the computer finally, I found this article on EP about "Yellowstone: the super-volcano that could blow up America" . Now.....don't freak folks, I just wanted to mention that I have felt for some time that some of the tremors occurring west, back towards the coast, may be related to some of the activity in the Yellowstone region and the volcanic landscape of the western region (as well as being influenced by the plate movements). (This is an un-scientific opinion).
Another article which caught my eye a few minutes ago was on the same site - EP - "Geologists express concern about volcanoes in Australia" .
Both of these articles are dated 11th December 2013.

The one related to Australia (and, yes this could be in the volcano thread) is, again, not placed here to create alarm for us here, but is in line with some feelings related to certain tremor behaviour I have been watching for some time now. I think that our volcanoes (and related? tremors) may not go into serious action in the near future, but may be feeling a small annoying 'itch' from the hot-spot activity in the Pacific. I also tie this in with old volcanoes (and the odd tremor near/in) in Bass Strait.
My email-to-self in May 2013 eludes to some feelings I had then of possible (and only possible ) volcanic behaviours in SE Oz.
Personally, I am not overly concerned for us here on the volcano side, but I feel we may mostly be only bothered occasionally by tremors/quakes. Very subtle land deformation in the odd spot may be noticed due to tremor activity in the future and maybe some small rumble near old volcanoes.
Again....this is my unscientific opinion - and I could be wrong.

Edited by duckweather (12/12/2013 13:49)

#1224868 - 12/12/2013 22:24 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
perrywinkle Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Warrawee Valley
Last volcanic activity in the South-East Volcanic province was about 4-5,000 years B.P. In the geological time scale that does not seem very long at all. Even less so, considering the Aborigines tell the story of a flow hitting the ocean.

#1224881 - 12/12/2013 23:35 Re: Earthquakes [Re: perrywinkle]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi perrywinkle.

I agree. Also with all of the volcanic activity going on currently, I think this has even taken some scientists by surprise and has possibly re-written some of the 'knowledge' of potential volcanic activity and even some of the EQ expectations and understandings.
The Aboriginals have some interesting stories within their knowledge and stories passed down through the Elders. There are even stories as early as around the early 19th century from sea captains of suspicions of possible volcanic steam vents being seen in areas such as Bass Strait.
'Today' there are the odd Eq/tremor occurrences which also can surprise some and elicit investigation in areas of unexpected locations for movements.
Mother Nature never ceases to amaze me and can offer up some surprises which can re-write the 'knowledge' books.
We also can learn much from the 'stories' from the past, to increase our own understanding and insight into what may have been and what could be at any time in the future. Let's hope that it's a hundred thousand years before a volcanic eruption affects the lands of Oz... wink

Cheers, Duck.

#1224928 - 13/12/2013 09:02 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
perrywinkle Offline
Weather Freak

Recent Volcanos are responsible for the incredibly productive farming country around SW Vic/and SE SA (and in many areas of SE Asia. 100,000 years makes for 'old soils'. There are payoffs to getting ash tossed around.

That report of steam venting on an island in Bass Straight is odd - from the geology, and the report, I suspect the ship may have seen a vapour trail caused by orographic uplift (even a hundred meters can do it). The weather in Bass Straight would easily allow that to happen. The probability of a hot spot surfacing on a tiny island, vs under the sea, also makes it less likely.

#1224941 - 13/12/2013 10:28 Re: Earthquakes [Re: perrywinkle]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi perrywinkle.

I couldn't get a full report on this, so I've quoted the brief description from the site below;

Quote:
Australian Volcanoes
Thursday 11th April 2002
Scientists believe a new Australian volcano is in the making after the apparent awakening of a volcanic hot spot off the Victorian coast. Geologists suspect an earthquake 50 kilometres from King Island in February signalled the stirring of the volcano breeding ground, a region in the Earth's crust where the planet expels some of its massive internal heat. There are more than 100 hot spots worldwide. Australia's hot spot is several hundred kilometres wide and lies under the Bass Strait and parts of Victoria and Tasmania. The hotspot could spawn a volcano within 100 years.

Source - Volcano Live.com - John Seach

We live in interesting times....

On the earthquake front, that general area from Yellowstone and heading west towards Washington and the west coast of upper U.S. is still jittering a bit. I found South Dakota's M3.5 (downgraded from an M4) interesting, as it is on the eastern side of the Yellowstone region. This was a short sharp tremor, which had some folks houses "shaking" by degrees. If I remember correctly, there are hot springs somewhere in this region and South Dakota is not immune from the occasional tremor.
If you are interested in the EQ's of this region, see the U.S.G.S. website info here.
I think their largest EQ was in 1909, an M5.5....but need to double-check the 'history books'.

France, near Jersey (that region I suspected a little while back as being a possibility of experiencing new tremors, has had a couple of intermediate tremors (meaning M2+, M3+'s etc.). I have often felt that the waterway (and coastlines) between Britain and France could experience some more tremors, perhaps a little more than usual.

Back a little later,
Cheers Duck.

#1224984 - 13/12/2013 15:41 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
perrywinkle Offline
Weather Freak

Extract of news report from 28 Sept 1901 -Account in "Trove" EXTRAORDINARY OUTBREAK. A SEA CAPTAIN'S ACCOUNT. (Monday's ' Age.')
Curtis Island, situate 23 miles south of Wilson's Promontory, was reported
yesterday by Captain Ramselms, master of the barquentine Joseph L. Eviston, to
be in a state of volcanic eruption. The vessel arrived from Ureka, after a
pleasant passage, with a cargo of timber. His description of the phenomenal occurrence that fell under his observation was given as follows:' 'At 2pm. on Saturday, when sailing under the influence of an easterly light
breeze about four miles from Curtis Island, I noticed what looked like white steam
rising from the island, but gave it little attention. Shortly afterwards my officer pointed to the strange sight, and we concluded that a volcano had broken
out, to make sure we steered a mile further in, when my opinion was confirmed by seeing the steam column gasping and puffing up vapor, which formed into dense rnaBsoa, but was every now and then dispersed by light breezes. Our vessel was to the north of the island, which is 1,060ft at the highest point, and tho out break was taking placo about 60ft above sea level to the southward. I did not send a boat ashore, as I was positive it
was not a bush fire or an ordinary fire, lit by shipwrecked people to attract
attention, for no smoke was visible, simply steam.

#1225249 - 15/12/2013 10:40 Re: Earthquakes [Re: perrywinkle]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi folks....busy lately, so haven't been jotting much here.

Hi perrywinkle, that article is one I was referring to in a previous post - I got the 'date' wrong'. It is one I have referred to quite a while back in the Volcano thread - very interesting isn't it? wink

The EQ's off the Canadian west coast yesterday seemed to track in an arc towards Alaska from the NW of the U.S.. These not appearing to be near the major faults which run parallel to the Canadian coast. They appeared to be more in the region of some undersea mounds (?) I nattered on about recently...

I woke up really early this morning (4am) with a 'theory' tumbling over in my head about the earth's volcanic/plate/EQ behaviours....it drove me to write an A4 sheet size rambling while still half asleep. I will spend some time researching my thoughts and run it past a scientist/geologist I know in the U.S. before I may make a dill of myself noting something here which may already current scientific knowledge.
smile

Japan has kept up a bit of M5+ movements, as I felt it might. Even after yesterdays M5+, their seismic monitors were still recording smaller (what I call) lightning jitters near Honshu, and to the north and a few in the south. It actually looked like Japan was going to experience a moderate rumble again at one point - but then it dissipated. I still feel that the instability in and offshore Japan (including volcanic islands) will continue to lull for a short period, and expend doses of energy (culminating in movements/eq's) here and there. Though I get a feeling that this region may not be where we see the next M6+.

For the moment (as I type), Yellowstone is moderately 'quiet'. Washington to the west has also 'calmed' and the regions near the upper U.S. west coast.

There may be a moderate quake along the west coast of South America in the short term, following on from the West-Chile Rise M5.

I'll try and be more focused later in a post as I get some time.

For now, Duck.

#1225308 - 15/12/2013 17:32 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Several seismo's in Victoria and South Oz are picking up some fairly short sharp type movements.
Today had a bit of a funny feeling about it (for me anyway) for our general regions.
There have been the odd EQ's north of Oz and a shallow M4+ in Fiji today, which have been felt a little on our seismo's, but the S.A. and Vic registers have been isolated movements to their respective regions. Will see what Geoscience 'says' later or tomorrow.

I video'd something interesting today. If you remember, quite some time ago, I video'd what I felt was a meteorite going over Melbourne/East/SE...well I video'd another today. Now, the plane route at the time was not on the same 'path' to/from Tullamarine as this 'thing' was heading. I can't say for sure it was a meteorite, but after I've loaded it onto my computer, when I get time, I'll put the vid up in this thread for you to have a look at. There was no plane sound emanating from this 'thing' and it left a trail like my other video record.

Today there was also a halo around the sun, edged with some 'EQ' clouds.

For now, Duck.

#1225337 - 15/12/2013 19:32 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

I know this is not EQ related, but here is the vid I took today, mentioned in previous post...

Cheers for the moment, Duck.

#1225461 - 16/12/2013 21:05 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi folks.
Again, I have been busy and each time I've tried to sit down and jot a post here I have to buzz off somewhere.

Anyway, Victoria has been getting some jittery subtle movements in the last hour. This may be hinting at a tremor for us or it may just be momentary grumbles.

The Gibraltar region - off shore - towards/in the Atlantic, came up with an M4+, which I suspected may occur. A few posts back I was getting a feeling that the 'space between the eastern coastline of the U.S./Canada and Spain may come up with an M4+.

Indonesia and Japan have/are also experiencing the EQ's I felt they may.

SE of Kuwait and this general region is feeling the movements I also felt they/it may.

I wanted to mention last night that I felt some 'energy' was going to make its way into eastern China from the west Pacific region, and an M5+ has come up in Hubei, China. This 'energy' I am talking about encompasses possibly Japan, Taiwan, the Philippines and myabe the East and South China Seas.

The Virgin Island regions is one place I am almost constantly drawn to. They have been rattling away with tremors today. This region seems to be brewing for an M4+?

I am very surprised that Alaska is not showing any tremors on the Global Incident Map. It is either very unusually quiet - a bit like Japan's lulls, or they are experiencing movements which aren't coming up on the Global Map yet - I am yet to check the Alaskan sites.

Australia, in the last few days, has not only had a few rumbles in the mainland (W.A., S.A., Qld etc.), but a few interesting ones have popped up offshore to the south of the Oz mainland.
The west of Macquarie Island M5 may be indicative of 'energy' coming up from the south and the east. There may be another movement closer to Oz.

Taiwan has just come up with an M4.4 as I am typing this, as I suspected it would in a previous paragraph.

I may jot some more bits later...I am dead tired from a hectic last few days, so I'll see how I go folks....

Cheers for the moment wink

#1225494 - 16/12/2013 23:31 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Can't believe I am still awake...the tooth-picks on the eye-lids must be doing the trick smile

The New Zealand South Island. southern end of the island, has just come up with an M6.2 [25kms deep] (which I felt one would crop up in the Pacific today).
The major fault associated with the Cook Strait large quakes recently, has moved again in the southern end of the island.
I have been getting an irking feeling and have been constantly drawn to this southern end. This, to me, ties in with the Macquarie Island quake and that movement I was suspecting perhaps a bit closer to Oz.
There maybe an outside chance of this 'energy' travelling north up the island and maybe even further south to near the Antarctic. This 'energy' may be the beginning or a hint of some general instability in the short term, which could affect the north, south and west of this region.

Anyway folks, I really need to get some zzz's.
For now, Duck.

#1225501 - 17/12/2013 06:38 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
perrywinkle Offline
Weather Freak

Since Friday morning, it has been noticeably quiet in Sydney. Normally I feel the odd quiet rumble every couple of days. Sometimes can later pin it on thunder, or road works but often conclude that it was seismic activity. The delays in posting on AGSO mean I often don't get to attach a movement to a tremor (perhaps I should take notes). Perhaps the Christmas shutdown has happened already!

#1225525 - 17/12/2013 11:13 Re: Earthquakes [Re: perrywinkle]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi perrywinkle.

Sometimes Geoscience takes a couple of days to log a tremor on their site. I think it may be because they check various seismo sources for the location and readings. Once confirmed, they upload such onto their site.
There have been times when I too have felt a tremor or noticed potential tremors on other state's seimo's and they haven't come up on Geo's site for some time, though sometimes they come up immediately as they occur.
Sometimes I think I may be imagining some tremors, only to go and check Geo and they have put the record up straight away (or a day later).
Sometimes 'we' feel the movements generated/reverberated from quakes in offshore Oz (e.g. Indonesia, NZ etc..)
Melbourne's M5.3 certainly got our websites going into meltdown - it was hard to miss that EQ smile

New Zealand's M6.2 (as registered with GEONET - NZ'z site) was felt over here all along the east and south coasts. Even South Australia's seismo's rattled along with the aftereffects. The response on our seimo's to this EQ was immediate - which just goes to show how strong it was, with the shock waves thrown out across the Tasman Sea abruptly.
A couple of folks in the region of this quake said it felt like lengthy swaying to and fro, rather than a vertical and sudden jolt.
This quake may have a follow on effect for some more parts of NZ, particularly along the major fault line running through both islands and up through to the Kermadecs (north of NZ).

The U.S. is still producing some interesting EQ's. Kansas had an M4.2 (30kms deep), along with the other movements in the surrounding states, is creating some debate, concerns and conclusions for some folks there as to what is causing these quakes/tremors.
It seems that the general region encompassing the west coast (and inland), the central states and the lower central (even heading east a little) is showing intermittent instability.
I feel that the combination of volcanic and faults behaviour (maybe interrelated) could be an issue here. Just a thought, not a scientific opinion.

Canada's west coastal regions experiencing tremors/EQ's may be feeling some of the pressures emanating from the U.S..

For now, Duck.

#1225528 - 17/12/2013 11:59 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Aah..just to carry on from my last post...there's one I didn't think I was imagining...an M2.3 at 0kms deep near Euroa, Victoria 7 hours ago...
A couple more have gone up on the Geoscience website too for 2 tremors in W.A.

Cheers, Duck.

#1225634 - 18/12/2013 10:11 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Gee, that video I took the other day (above post) has been confirmed as a meteorite by a meteor tracking site - here.
I saw two more yesterday, but didn't have my camera handy.
Keep an eye on the sky folks, we seem to be getting remnants passing by in the daytime... smile

Anyway on the earthquake front, apart from the Fiji, Kurils, Marianna, Sumatra, Solomon, Greenland Sea, Antofagasta (Chile), offshore northern California and a few other places, which have experienced quakes in the M4+ region, it has been again fairly 'quiet'. The west of the ROF had a bit of a run in the last 24 hours and the one I was suspecting may come up in Britain came up (thankfully) as I minor tremor.
The Mediterranean regions are still and will continue to rattle along with tremors and Mount Etna in Italy (and other related volcanic behaviours) is having an effect on some of the tremors being experienced over that way.

Overall, and this is just my opinion, I don't think we can underestimate the effects the volcanic behaviours are having on (or are creating) the number of tremors pooping up here and there in some regions.

The San Andreas Fault (west coast of the U.S., including Central America) is jittering intermittently, and we may see another M4+ produced in a burst of movement there in the near future.

Australia got a bit of a 'flurry' of tremor activity going in the last 24 hours. I get a wee feeling that there may be an offshore tremor brewing somewhere, maybe in the SE of Oz (including NSW, Vic) and/or maybe somewhere along the southern coastline...?

Southern Iran, near Dubai and east of Kuwait is still sticking with me as a region (one of a couple) which is sticking with me for another moderate movement. The coasts edging the Arabian Sea are included in this 'region'.

For the moment, Duck.

Edited by duckweather (18/12/2013 10:12)
Edit Reason: spelling again

#1225862 - 20/12/2013 09:49 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi folks.
Finally able to jot a post here...been busy. Yesterday's running around in 40 degree heat wasn't much fun.

Anyway, there is a buoy in event mode SE of Christmas Island/about 1500kms WNW of Broome (Australia). It has shown a quick deviation of about 2 meters in its 'normal' cycle.

The Banda Sea near M6 in the last hour, has been pinned as 0kms deep by Geoscience Australia. I get a feeling that this may be adjusted to about 10kms deep...none the less, this quake with have been felt at quite some distance and in the surrounding islands. The Oz mainland will have felt this one too and our southern seismo's reacted almost immediately as well.

The Pakistan quake, which I had an unfortunate feeling was going to occur, has the potential of causing some serious issues for the folks there. The EQ Report - here - has an updating page on any new info surrounding this quake.

The British Isles have had a couple more small tremors, which is another region I have been 'watching' for the increase in small tremors, with maybe a possibility of an M3 there.
The English Channel itself or on the coastlines that line such, may come up with another tremor, possibly in the region of an M3+.

The western side of the ROF continues to be aggravated and I feel we may see some more of this 'energy' sidling up and into China, eastern Himalayas and some of the island countries skirting the upper/middle western edge of the Pacific. Vietnam and South Korea may not be immune to a tremor or two.

New Zealand is still having it's unfair share of tremors. Just on the 20th December so far (their time/date) they have had 23 tremors. See here for GEONET's current lists.

Back a little later, Duck,

Meant to also mention that Yellowstone has been having several, almost consecutive tremors today.....

Edited by duckweather (20/12/2013 09:52)
Edit Reason: extra

#1226057 - 21/12/2013 19:52 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi folks.
I have been busy with Chrismas'y stuff this morning and in my studio all arvo....and am now catching up on the EQ scene.

The Pacific Ocean, including the EQ which has just occurred west of Santiago (South America) offshore (West Chile Rise), has been quite active with quakes varying in depth from shallowish near Japan - slightly deeper near the SE of Loyalty Islands (SE of the Japan volcanic islands) - to very deep near Fiji.
Most of the quakes have been M5 or more in size.

Even the Indian Ocean has been motivated to move in a few spots. The Sumatran M5+ may not have caused too many issues for the communities there and no tsunami - though there may have been some water behaviour disturbances.

America is still a curious one to observe currently. Yellowstone is grumbling in bursts, even though many of the tremors are small, it still 'tells' me that it could spawn an M3+ perhaps in the near future. Interestingly, there still seems to be some energy/tremors affecting the west of Yellowstone (towards the coast), even though some of this energy is also coming from the east of the Pacific and from a southerly direction. It feels like there is energy coming from several different directions, with the Canadian west coast and slightly inland feeling movements here and there because of this 'energy' being driven up, in and around this region (mainly from the west, SW and SE I feel).

I feel too that Alaska is having 'energy' driven up and into it and along the Aleutians from the energies mention above....

Anyway, for now, Duck.

Page 53 of 129 < 1 2 ... 51 52 53 54 55 ... 128 129 >

Who's Online
1 registered (Pooley72), 248 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Today's Birthdays
Canoncloud, Deanmc, skylark, tornado freak, vic
Forum Stats
29370 Members
32 Forums
23686 Topics
1462562 Posts

Max Online: 2925 @ 02/02/2011 22:23
Satellite Image