#122816 - 25/06/2008 10:32 Re: New Zealand Weather
Greg Sorenson Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Canberra!

#122817 - 25/06/2008 14:25 Re: New Zealand Weather
Nev Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Waiheke Island, Auckland, NZ
Yep, nothing like a good ol' polar blast now and then to stir things up a little (great for the ski-fields). And with memories of 2006 still fresh (coldest June for well over 30 years), I think southern farmers have been pretty well prepared for this little rodent.

There's already been one report of an apparent tornado lifting roof tiles etc in the North Island's Bay of Plenty last Sunday. (Also in the BoP, on the 13th a very shallow mag 5.4 quake occurred close to White Island, our largest active volcano, followed by numerous small aftershocks - a little scary!)

#122818 - 26/06/2008 19:45 Re: New Zealand Weather
NZAAS Offline

Loc: Rain mentioned every forecast....
Plenty of Lightning and some thunder last night too,in 3 periods,about 11 last night then again at 3am then finally moved in at 7am.Westerlies.

#122819 - 27/06/2008 11:19 Re: New Zealand Weather
Nev Offline
Weather Freak

Report of an aircraft/lightning strike on Wednesday night in this 'Waikato Times' story (nice lightning map graphic too) ...
Quote:
' 20,000 lightning strikes '

An astounding 1500 lightning strikes reportedly cut through Waikato skies when the storm erupted and continued through the night...
While minimal damage was reported, Air New Zealand flight NZ992 flying from Sydney to Hamilton was hit by lightning shortly before landing last night and was diverted to Auckland, about 11pm... Air New Zealand spokeswoman Tracey Palmer said lightning struck the Airbus A320 plane on the nose about 40 nautical miles southwest of Hamilton, but the plane's airworthiness was never in jeopardy...
Several Hamilton residents spotted a tornado/funnel in the sky above the city on Wednesday arvo and there were also a couple more \'dodgy\' tornado reports from south and north of Auckland.

And sadly, also from the 'Waikato Times' today ...
Quote:
' Storm kills prized horses '

Two spooked horses worth around $200,000 were killed and up to a dozen others left dead or injured during yesterday's powerful electrical storm. At least six horses were struck dead by lightning, five more ran through fences in fright, one was found in a drain and two had to be put down with broken legs...

#122820 - 27/06/2008 16:49 Re: New Zealand Weather
Dale Small Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Greymouth - West Coast, NZ..
Without being biased and no offence to other kiwis here reading this, but that was just a flys fart. 20 000 lightning strikes is impressive in anyones books but im kind of used to, coming from SeQ near 20 000 in a couple of hours.

Though I must admit that 3am pummeling was the worst of the whole system so far and sure beats the hell out of anything ive experienced back in Brisbane.

Constant and continuous barrages of hail, winds strong enough to take my letterbox down and as Nev mentioned, the reported tornado at Waiuku, I could kind of believe. Waiuku is not that far away from here.. less than 20 mins drive and what hit Pukke at 3am woke me up well and truly and made me quite frightened, I initially thought the roof of the house was going to completely lift.

So it didnt surprise me when i left for work just after 5, to another hailstorm, lightning going ballistic over Hunua and Papakura, a car lost it off Great Sth Rd rolling several times, a tree blocking GSR near Drury, closer to the on ramp was someones chook house.. (roof and all) and further up the Southern Motorway was another tree down blocking the lanes between Bombay & Papakura.

All in all, was a f****n wild night, one I will remember for sometime and rates up in the top 5 of most memorable wx experienced.. the drive back from Whangamata last Sunday rates in the top 3 so we aint doing too bad after all!

#122821 - 27/06/2008 18:51 Re: New Zealand Weather
Helen Offline

Loc: Mid North, SA
Sad to read about the horses. I lost a horse to lightning strike a few years ago and it's just the most horrible sight (especially when they don't die instantly). We had Justin put to sleep without hesitation... he was blinded and deafened by the strike and his core temperature plummeted and would have been in constant agony if he had managed to survive. Still breaks my heart to this day. frown
Sept - - (48mm) / Oct - - (38mm) / Nov - - (23mm) / Dec - - (18mm)
Total 2016 - 637.2mm

#122822 - 27/06/2008 19:49 Re: New Zealand Weather
Dale Small Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Day 3 and hailstorm #7630 just passed over leaving another drift a few cm's deep.. least the Mitsi is getting a good wash laugh

Seems like day 30 really.

#122823 - 27/06/2008 22:23 Re: New Zealand Weather
Helen Offline

Loc: Mid North, SA
ROFL Dale. :rofl: Selfishly I hope all this weather at least brings some good dumpings of snow to the tourist regions.

Totally off-topic, but reading your comment on the Mitsi prompted me to ask... are you educating the Kiwi population how to pronounce Subaru. Have to say I love the Kiwi show Motorway Patrol, but I do cringe when they talk about the Subaaaaru, wink
Sept - - (48mm) / Oct - - (38mm) / Nov - - (23mm) / Dec - - (18mm)
Total 2016 - 637.2mm

#122824 - 28/06/2008 06:48 Re: New Zealand Weather
Dale Small Offline
Weatherzone Addict

LMAO Helen.. yeah I have resorted to doing pop quizzes at work on how to pronounce words just like that, everyone here calls it Subaaaaru and ive lost count how many times id love to mail them one way to Abu Dhabi :p

You get Motorway Patrol there?!
Awesome show, all filmed around here in Auckland and a few of the cops on the series I have met out on the road.. all under good circumstances though laugh

You should still have a nice cover in places for your jaunt over the ditch, the coldest and worst of the winter is yet to hit according to the old people around here.

#122825 - 28/06/2008 11:09 Re: New Zealand Weather
Willoughby Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Darwin NT
Quote:
Originally posted by Helen S:
say I love the Kiwi show Motorway Patrol, but I do cringe when they talk about the Subaaaaru, wink
Buhh.. but likewise, we cringe too.. it's Japanese afterall, 'すばる' not Suburu as the yanks and strayans tend to pronounce it. :p It's all subjective really. Just like how you pronounce pool and six etc... *shudder*. laugh

Weather wise, showers and thunderstorms continue to cross today and looks as though they'll finally clear tonight as a ridge sets in briefly before the next long wave sweeps through the Tasman Sea.

188mm so far for June, excellent after the major deficits of January/Feb which has been pretty bad for the agri economy. Recession here we come!

#122826 - 28/06/2008 15:26 Re: New Zealand Weather
Nev Offline
Weather Freak

Yes, I think the pronunciation-police (PP) got on to the Subaru case some time ago, but old habits die hard. I nearly got caught by the PP once for having too many sheep in my Subaru, but I got off because he thought I was a bus; turns out he was dyslexic and read Subaru back to front. laugh

So which of these do you suppose are the more correct pronunciations?...

Volks-waggin or Volks-vag-uhn
Nick-on or Nee-kon
Min-ol-ta or mee-noh-roh-ta
Sew-nee or Sohn-e
Par'-iss or Par-ee
Meck-sico or Me-hee-co
Ock-tion or Awk-tion

wink

#122827 - 28/06/2008 18:13 Re: New Zealand Weather
Dale Small Offline
Weatherzone Addict

ROFL @ lysdexic subaru Nev.. might put that to the neighbours brap brap wrx for a personalised numberplate!

On topic.. did a few hours work and routine maintenance on the lasers today @ highbrook, lost count of how many hailshowers hit, its starting to get a bit boring now.

Need to chem-anchor the mailbox down also, lost it again for the eleventyith time since this system reared up eek

#122828 - 29/06/2008 12:11 Re: New Zealand Weather
storm bird Offline

Loc: Taree N.S.W. (21m ASL) Rainfal...
Sounds like NZ has copped an interesting weather cycle in the last few days. Beats what I'm getting hands down.

Clear and cool for the Mid North Coast. Temps down to 1 - 4 deg in the morning and 18 - 23 in the middle of the day.

Lived in the North Island for many years and have never heard a gunshot flang the whole time I was there. Can't beat the storms in Aus for that.

Hope your mailbox is well anchored down now Dale, those gales can sure create some havock.

#122829 - 03/07/2008 22:05 Re: New Zealand Weather
Nev Offline
Weather Freak

Looks like another polar blast is set to bring more gales and snow down to very low levels in the south of the South Island this weekend.

Meanwhile, a tornado has hit two Taranaki farms just before 12.30pm today, destroying two haybarns and narrowly missing a farmhouse, and at about 6:30pm a tornado was reported to have lifted the roof tiles off at least 4 houses in Auckland's eastern suburb of Glendowie, while yesterday arvo a small tornado was reported to have touched down briefly in Waiuku, south of Auckland, ripping up large trees and downing power lines.

' Anniversary tornado hits Taranaki '
Thursday, 03 July 2008 - Taranaki Daily News

' Four houses report damage after Auckland tornado '
Thursday, 03 July 2008 - NZ Hearald

#122830 - 05/07/2008 19:21 Re: New Zealand Weather
Willoughby Offline
Weather Freak

MASSIVE cold outbreak over Aotearoa today... 500mb temps dropped to -36C over the Lower North Island and the low brought a widespread snow event to the South Island with snow to sea level in Christchurch and snow for a period of time to Rotorua, one hour from here (unbelievable!!). For the first time in many years Transit has shut a portion of the Hamilton-Tauranga highway up on the Kaimai Ranges due to snow and ice.

Auckland only got to 9C with hailstorms which just shows how rare this outbreak is. 8.5C with graupel at one stage here in Hamilton.

Some 6pm news video here: http://tvnz.co.nz/view/video_popup_windows_skin/1890313

The ski fields for the school holidays will be totally pumping. - Turoa will have a base over 2m!

#122831 - 05/07/2008 23:52 Re: New Zealand Weather
Nev Offline
Weather Freak

Hi Willoughby... Yup, 9C high was after 9am (down from 11C a few hours before) and below 6C at 6pm going by METARS, which is cold for Auckland... 4.4C here on Waiheke not too long ago.

Interesting quote from this NZ Herald story ...
Quote:
' It\'s snowing - in the Waikato! '
1:45PM Saturday July 05, 2008

... Just a hundred kilometres north and snow clouds can be seen around Auckland city. "They tend to have a bronze tinge to them" says TRN's chief weather analyst Philip Duncan.

"If Sky Tower was 3 times its height it would be snowing on the top". Duncan says the freezing level will lower to around 1000 metres over Auckland today ...
Also another report of a tornado in SE Auckland. Should point out that all the other Auckland tornado reports I've posted so far are unsubstantiated (could just as likely been straight-line winds), but this one sounds interesting ...
Quote:
' Mini-tornado causes damage in Auckland ' (also see video )
Sat, 05 Jul 2008 5:30p.m. - TV3 News

Mini twisters have ripped roofs off houses, sent fences and tiles flying and sucked the water straight out of a swimming pool ...

#122832 - 06/07/2008 05:41 Re: New Zealand Weather
Dale Small Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Ahh nothing like a hailstorm at 7am complete with very close CG lightning to get you out of bed on a sunday morning laugh (pity they dont have a crying smiley here also)

Didnt get above 8 degrees all day in Pukke yesterday again with wave after wave of hail, graupel, borderline severe winds and 2 gunshot flangs which could be seen out my window striking a power pole the next street over.

Seems just as miserable today, got my heating system on, bottles made up for bub and TV on, coffee boiling so im set laugh

#122833 - 24/07/2008 06:54 Re: New Zealand Weather
Willoughby Offline
Weather Freak

That low off Brisbane you guys are sending sure is going to be a real doozy when it comes this way! laugh

It's been such a wet winter here I don't think we'll be needing another 100mm, lol. =/

Low level snow today about Otago/Canterbury.

#122834 - 24/07/2008 21:24 Re: New Zealand Weather
Scud Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Mcleans Ridges
This afternoon's update runs haven't changed much at all - looks to be a near certainty to happen.

Im in Auckland for the next 4 days so can't wait to see how things pan out on Saturday. Camera and Video Camera are here too laugh

Meant to be watching Bledisloe at a mates place on Saturday night however I'm starting to wonder if we will have power!?!

#122835 - 26/07/2008 12:49 Re: New Zealand Weather
Dale Small Offline
Weatherzone Addict

You here at the moment James?
Awesome, settle in for a wild night mate.

I've just returned from Hunua Gorge, stayed out there overnight, already have gusts here to near 100 km.h in Pukekohe with trees down over roads (including the one leading to my place) and this baby hasnt even fully wound up yet!

Have just done a supply run, candles, water all the essentials.. power is likely to be disrupted in areas, the full force is due to hit the Coromandel by midnight our time and thats not too far from here. I've been through bombs and stuff back in Brisbane as you know but this one is already getting me a little on edge. Right now, the roads are no place to be.

If youd like to catch up for a coffee before you depart, more than welcome to pvt me.
Otherwise, enjoy the ride this evening smile

(Central pressure already at 959hPa and still dropping)

Page 58 of 81 < 1 2 ... 56 57 58 59 60 ... 80 81 >

Who's Online
6 registered (Wave Rider, Markus, DDstorm, willitrainagain, aussiestormfreak, 1 invisible), 302 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Today's Birthdays
annair, marestails, Quasar, typhoontim
Forum Stats
29389 Members
32 Forums
23700 Topics
1465941 Posts

Max Online: 2925 @ 02/02/2011 22:23
Satellite Image