Page 59 of 81 < 1 2 ... 57 58 59 60 61 ... 80 81 >
Topic Options
#122836 - 26/07/2008 14:47 Re: New Zealand Weather
Dale Small Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Greymouth - West Coast, NZ..
Not 2 minutes after making the above post, power went kapoot and has only just come back on smile
I walked outside to grab something from the car and a gust blew me clean off my feet, as much as my surname says, im no small person and it was only the fence that stopped me from going over. Estimated gust into triple figures for sure.

Topography also has a lot to play around here ive found out, if I knew where you were James it would be helpful.. but to be in an exposed area tonight is suicide.

#122837 - 26/07/2008 15:33 Re: New Zealand Weather
Squid Offline
Meteorological Motor Mouth

Loc: Murgon
gusts to 170km/h have been recorded and pressure as low as 962 have also been recrded

#122838 - 26/07/2008 16:10 Re: New Zealand Weather
Dale Small Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Its bad enough the skytower has closed down, the natural splaying (rotational back and forth 360 degrees, imagine being inside a gyroscope and i hear only the 2nd time in its history) of it was too much for people to bear.. 1 lane of the harbour bridge had been closed due to water crashing over it eek
SH 25 out to our beach house at Whangamata has been closed due to river breaches near Thames Firth..

It has calmed down somewhat here, nowhere near as bad as an hour or 2 ago but thats not to say its just the calm before the storm.

How you going out there on Waiheke, Nev?
Of all people youd be copping the flak foremost.

#122839 - 26/07/2008 17:09 Re: New Zealand Weather
richo p Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Brisbane, Albany Creek
Looks like you guys are getting a torrid time over there in NZ. A very deep low pressure system indeed!!! Don't hold your breath to long, looks like another lows set to spin up early next week off the NSW coast. By Wednesday it should cruise past your way and it looks to be another fairly intense system looking at GFS,LAPS and EC runs. Have fun in your windy wild weather smile

Richo

#122840 - 26/07/2008 19:04 Re: New Zealand Weather
Helen Offline

Loc: Mid North, SA
Stay safe you folk. We're thinking of you all. smile
Sept - - (48mm) / Oct - - (38mm) / Nov - - (23mm) / Dec - - (18mm)
Total 2016 - 637.2mm

#122841 - 26/07/2008 20:56 Re: New Zealand Weather
BOM99 Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Australia
I just had a look at the models, that is one horrific LOW, very cold very tight and very windy, right of the scale like a cyclone, sustained winds could exceed 150km/h and as well it could bring quite low level snow. I do not think I have seen worse and its due to be almost right over Auckland tonight. Looking foreward to hearing about this event.

#122842 - 26/07/2008 21:35 Re: New Zealand Weather
Long Road Home Offline

Loc: Northern Beaches Syd
965hpa going by the chart.. send it across the tasman when ur done smile

#122843 - 26/07/2008 21:59 Re: New Zealand Weather
Mega Offline

Loc: Maryborough, Wide Bay, QLD
Yes it's a shame it went to NZ and didn't cross AUS coasts to fill a few dams. That looks a bit TOO rough though. eek

#122844 - 26/07/2008 22:06 Re: New Zealand Weather
pato Offline

Loc: lismore,northern rivers
Wow what an intense system!!. For all our NZ friends stay safe, hope you guys don't suffer too much damage. Hope to hear good news from you soon.

#122845 - 26/07/2008 22:10 Re: New Zealand Weather
Willoughby Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Darwin NT
It's been a very rough day over the upper North Island!

Cape Reinga AWS surpassed or equalled it's lowest pressure reading of 963 dating back to Cyclone Ida in March 1959.

Barometer has bottomed here at 974mb right now which is a new station record since it was commissioned. Luckily there wasn't much to report here in Hamilton since we're inland.. have had a few good gusts though.

24 hour water vapour imagery animation is awesome.... shows cyclonegenesis really well!

A town called Te Aroha 40km east of here which is right on the lee side of the Kaimai ranges got buffeted by the down wind storm easterly and tonight as the squash zone pulled through they experienced "havoc" with power cuts, trees everywhere and many roofs blown off. eek

Quote:
Hugh Vercoe, says it's been a very busy day with damage widespread across the town and into the neighbouring town of Morrinsville. "We've had 70 call outs today, around two thirds relating to lifted roofs or blown down chimneys. A few garage doors have come off including one that completely blew across the street".

Much of the town is in darkness tonight with widespread power outages since 3 o'clock this afternoon. The Mayor says local fire officers say it was difficult to stand up and open fire truck doors and for the first time in memory the winds bounced off the Kaimai's as far away as Morrinsville where roofs also lifted.

Mayor Vercoe says many substantial trees have been blown over with the winds blasting in from the south east.
We have quite the thread now on this weather bomb over on the NZ forum here: http://www.weatherforum.org.nz/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3153&view=unread#unread

Didn't get past 8C here until 6pm which is very strange, just showed how well and compact the occlusion zones were.

#122846 - 26/07/2008 22:25 Re: New Zealand Weather
Nev Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Waiheke Island, Auckland, NZ
Yep this is a true weather-bomb!

Predictions were for 959hPa, but as Willoughby said Cape Reinga and Kaitaia recorded the lowest pressure 962.9hPa at 3pm. Auckland got as low as 970hPa at 11pm.

We're in centre atm, so winds will pick up again. Highest this arvo was 171km/h in the Bay of Islands. Winds apparently now gusting again to 174km/h in the Far North. Auckland harbour gusted to about 125km/h and the Haukraki Gulf about 150 km/h. Ferries cancelled. Plenty of power outages and roofs lifted (incl. Waiheke).

#122847 - 26/07/2008 22:50 Re: New Zealand Weather
Nev Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Waiheke Island, Auckland, NZ
Correction 968.7 hPa @ 9:30 PM for Auckland.

#122848 - 27/07/2008 04:10 Re: New Zealand Weather
Dale Small Offline
Weatherzone Addict

All alive and well here.. and thankyou to Will for the link to the local forum you guys chat on smile

What a wild night is all I can say lol.
It wasnt too bad to be honest considering what went on yesterday afternoon picking the worst possible time to go and get things, there is a story behind that non wx related so will leave it for another day but not to say a couple of rooves have lifted here and there around Pukke, plenty of tree damage including some big ones toppled over on Great Sth Rd, central Pukke has taken a battering but around the Bombay hills ive heard looks like a war zone with greenhouses completely destroyed by random gusts, barn rooves lifted, etc..

6am metar from Auckland AP puts the pressure at 982hPa currently so shes on the move. At present it is still rather windy outside but not even a flys bottom speck compared to about 3pm yesterday.
Going to do a damage assesment later on this morning once the family wakes and is all settled smile

#122849 - 28/07/2008 10:10 Re: New Zealand Weather
NZAAS Offline

Loc: Rain mentioned every forecast....
Yes well do a swap.Its far too Wet here and lots more to come with another low tomorrow.The herald shows us 135mm rain and even Christchurch just under 100mm.
Quote:
Originally posted by MegaMatch:
Yes it's a shame it went to NZ and didn't cross AUS coasts to fill a few dams. That looks a bit TOO rough though. eek

#122850 - 28/07/2008 21:15 Re: New Zealand Weather
Scud Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Mcleans Ridges
Quote:
Originally posted by Dale Small:
You here at the moment James?
Awesome, settle in for a wild night mate.

If youd like to catch up for a coffee before you depart, more than welcome to pvt me.
Otherwise, enjoy the ride this evening smile
Hey Dale,

Apologies I only just saw your message now. Will no doubt be over there again soon so will PM you once I have some dates and will certainly catch up! laugh

That was one hell of a storm though. Managed to get a fever on Saturday and missed most of the best stuff (including the game). Wednesday this week is looking real nice again for you guys. Some seriously nice Lows spinning up NZ way this year.

#122851 - 29/07/2008 06:26 Re: New Zealand Weather
Dale Small Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hey James! laugh

Never a problem, next time you venture over just drop a line to catch up, ive always loved talking with you being such a knowledge base in wx and in general.. plus i miss the aussie folk (yeah im kissing up lol)

Indeed that was one hell of a storm, now i know what its like to be effectively in a cyclone. Twas a real eye opener for me to be honest.

Damage wise around Pukekohe, after a bit of a tour around on sunday morning it was pretty much a scene of utter chaos and destruction.

The Warehouse (large market chain similar to K-Mart) was evacuated not long after 3pm as the roof started to lift off the complex.
My local dairy has a hotel on the top of it, that too was evacuated as again, the roof began to lift.
St Johns school just up the road, lost their roof completely (sure the kiddies will be happy about that) and 2 doors up, every single window of a house on the recieving side of the winds, had been comlpetely blown out.
The house next door also sustained serious roof damage.
Further down on Manukau Rd I was told the roof also began to lift off the Challenge Petrol station I fill at, talking to the staff there last night, they told me it was the most scariest moment of their lives.
Trees down everywhere including one that missed a house by a mere 2 metres or so, but took out 10 metres of a very well established brick fence, and the homeowners hills hoist. Directly across the road, a whole fence has completely disappeared and the next street down, the observatory also had its roof lifted.

Looking out my back verandah I can see ol mates tv antenna on his house completely blown and knocked over.. not that the resident birds are complaining.

Even the panelbeaters have to do some work on their own sign, it was twisted and bent into such a shape it near looked like a funnel itself eek

Looking forward to the next one, sort of.
Seen some destruction in the famous Southern Rivers storms :p but this blow that just happened surpasses anything id ever been through back there!

#122852 - 29/07/2008 06:30 Re: New Zealand Weather
Dale Small Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Should also add.. for the first time ive seen in many years, there are some very nice KH Waves out towards the Bombay Hills and looking over toward the Coromndel.
Lovely sight.

#122853 - 30/07/2008 14:21 Re: New Zealand Weather
Dale Small Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Not long after 4pm and again, have been up since near midnight when this 2nd low has arced up.

Whatever hasnt been tarped down, nailed down, or tied down im guessing will be a certain distance from its point of origin. Throughout the night, again the house was shaking completely with wheelie bins blown over (and today being rubbish day, not a pretty sight).. took a small drive earlier to book the car in for its service and grab some items, still more trees missing, more rooves lifted from this mornings blow.

7am pressures were around 990 as the forefront of the low hit, winds again ranging into the triple digits in Pukke.. then all went nice quiet and calm with some of the most impressive mammatus I have ever seen in my life, all at sunrise mind you.. KH Waves again for the second day running & an odd assortment of lowerings popping in and out of the base.

Roads have been closed all across Northland, SH1 just N of Auckland due to a huge slip overnight that completely cut the road off. Local flooding in and around city districts, Counties Manukau have reported many road closures, Rodney, the same.
North Shore, again the same and out to the Coromandel, Civil Defence are just asking people not to even bother travelling.

At present, gauge is showing 979hPa in Pukke and it has reared its head up again.

#122854 - 30/07/2008 16:22 Re: New Zealand Weather
NoRelationToNed Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Kerang, NW Victoria
Pics Dale any pics? Some local expat Kiwis here are wondering about their rellies back home - one who lives right on the water's edge, any talk of tidal surges effecting low lying areas etc?

#122855 - 30/07/2008 16:53 Re: New Zealand Weather
Dale Small Offline
Weatherzone Addict

I am attempting to get pics up but its a bit hard atm with internet traffic being such a high volume, everything is a go slow. The best bet for updates is the nz metservice site (which is at a crawl) www.metservice.co.nz or the herald site (news publication) www.nzherald.co.nz

There have been reports of a tornado at Mt Maunganui which isnt far from Tauranga. Picton and Nelson at the top of the Sth Island are currently being sandbagged, Greynouth and Hokitika have sustained some damage and power outages. Back to the Nth Island, Levin.. I believe somewhere near wellington, the locals are saying its the worst they can remember since the cook strait ferry "Wahine" sank back in the 50's. Someome please correct me on this if I am wrong.

Across on the west coast of the north island with the wrap around, tidal surges have peaked around 4 metres according to live reports on the news, I dont know where your friends are.

The Coromandel pennin is all but cut off at the moment due to landslips and flooding, 1 confirmed death and another missing and again, Civil Defence are just saying please.. simply stay at home.

Again, attempting to get pics up but everythings a real go slow here at present. Will put up more if i can source it.

Page 59 of 81 < 1 2 ... 57 58 59 60 61 ... 80 81 >

Who's Online
1 registered (Blowin'), 240 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Today's Birthdays
haras, TheAnt
Forum Stats
29401 Members
32 Forums
23725 Topics
1468907 Posts

Max Online: 2925 @ 02/02/2011 22:23
Satellite Image