Page 664 of 1644 < 1 2 ... 662 663 664 665 666 ... 1643 1644 >
Topic Options
#1233430 - 22/01/2014 11:21 Re: NSW/ACT day to day weather [Re: Grant]
HumphreyBear Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Southern Sydney
Interesting, didn't know that, but then I haven't delved into the statistics. It makes sense given that Southern Ocean maritime air is partially blocked by the Victorian Alps, whilst Tasman Sea maritime air is totally blocked by the Snowies.

Would be nice if we had some true continental (group D Koppen) climates in Australia though.

#1233431 - 22/01/2014 11:24 Re: NSW/ACT day to day weather [Re: Grant]
Teddy Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Monash, Canberra 625m
Hey Ant, Sean Carson reckons 10mm to 20mm for southern Canberra burbs possible on Fri not sure if it will extend out to where you are but I guess you can hope!
Teddy

#1233466 - 22/01/2014 14:20 Re: NSW/ACT day to day weather [Re: Grant]
DaveM Offline
Meteorological Motor Mouth

Loc: Bathurst NSW about 700 m asl
Wow 25 or 26 here, 14 at Mt Boyce in Blue Mtns. We are also slightly cooler than Orange - which is rare.

#1233483 - 22/01/2014 15:19 Re: NSW/ACT day to day weather [Re: HumphreyBear]
Steve777 Online   content
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Artarmon (Sydney North Shore)
Originally Posted By: HumphreyBear
...Tasman Sea maritime air is totally blocked by the Snowies.

Lucky Corryong. Nothing to block the dank, dismal Tasman Maritime air here. Thick, solid overcast, no sunny breaks but also no rain that I've seen since before dawn. It's been about 21-22 degrees all day but the Southerly makes it feel a few degrees cooler.

Originally Posted By: DaveM
Wow 25 or 26 here, 14 at Mt Boyce in Blue Mtns. ...

That's quite common in this weather pattern. East of the Divide is covered by solid overcast and has warmed very little since sunrise. Mount Boyce is likely to be foggy and drizzly. I expect that Bathurst is sunny or at least getting lengthy sunny periods.

I made a note of the maximum temperatures as one moves inland and over the ranges on another 'Marine Layer' day a couple of weeks ago - January 8:

Code:
		8 January 2014		
Station	      Elev.	Max 	Sea Lvl	   Sun 
            (metres)    Deg C   Equiv **  (hrs)
Sydney OH	39	22.3	22.5	
Sydeny AP 	 6	22.5	22.5	   0.4
Parramatta	55	21.0	21.3	
Penrith	        25	21.5	21.7	
Karoomba     1,015	13.1	19.2	
Lithgow	       900	15.8	21.2	
Bathurst       713	24.4	28.7	
Orange	       947	23.6	29.3

Temperatures over the Sydney basin varied little under the cloud. Bathurst, West of the Divide, is much warmer than Lithgow 40 km to the East on the other side of the Divide.

** Sea level equivalent: added 6 degrees per 1,000 metres.

#1233487 - 22/01/2014 15:41 Re: NSW/ACT day to day weather [Re: Grant]
HumphreyBear Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Personally, I find these sort of days refreshing in summer, as you know the heat will return soon enough (as opposed to Manchester). Yes, it's a bummer for the holiday makers wanting some beach weather, but we have to live here (and deal with the less desirable consequences of hot dry weather).

Yep, Bathurst is mostly sunny atm with high cloud approaching:

http://centralwestflying.com/web-cam/

Melbourne is also cloud free.

#1233488 - 22/01/2014 15:53 Re: NSW/ACT day to day weather [Re: Grant]
dlcat1 Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Melbourne (NE burbs)
I'm with HumphreyBear on this. That grey muck that never goes away can get depressing after a while, and I'd much prefer wet storms followed by those close, cool, damp nights but after the week of heat we've just had...

Melbourne has its second day in a row of crystal clear blue skies. Very mild temps today (25C here, might get a little higher.) but still warm enough for the crickets and cicadas to call.

#1233491 - 22/01/2014 16:07 Re: NSW/ACT day to day weather [Re: Grant]
DaveM Offline

Definitely Steve, well aware as a long term resident here of those temp variations. I just enjoy it when I see it. Same as in Tassie, it's amazing the weather variations you can have in relatively small distances. Even Randwick vs Windsor for example with sea breezes, precip etc.

Tassie was even more extreme in it's variation. Every side of Mt Wellington could offer greatly varying weather in quite a small area for example.

Been a pleasant day with that easterly breeze, a bit humid but with a nice coolness in the breeze.

Our max almost identical to Orange which usually only occurs in good easterlies or in winter if we are fogbound for hours smile

#1233496 - 22/01/2014 16:10 Re: NSW/ACT day to day weather [Re: Grant]
HumphreyBear Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Precisely- here in Sydney, grey muck is very much the exception rather than the rule. Most of the year it's confined to the southern maritime climates like Albany, Portland (VIC) and Tasmania. It would get depressing if it was like that for weeks on end as in Vancouver or London. Here in Sydney it's the weeks of monotonous sunshine in winter and spring that are depressing, ymmv.

#1233630 - 22/01/2014 22:34 Re: NSW/ACT day to day weather [Re: Teddy]
ant Offline

Loc: Overlooking ACT at 848m
Originally Posted By: Teddy
Hey Ant, Sean Carson reckons 10mm to 20mm for southern Canberra burbs possible on Fri not sure if it will extend out to where you are but I guess you can hope!

that's interesting that he's mentioning such a limited area.. it's a system, so does that mean Canberra bisects it? Bit of a worry.

#1233645 - 23/01/2014 00:03 Re: NSW/ACT day to day weather [Re: Grant]
aussiestormfreak Offline

Loc: Melbourne (Belgrave); Corryong...
Some very interesting posts regarding Corryong, especially from Blair, HumphreyBear and Steve! smile

Blair, I'm glad my family and I dodged the heatwave, we were blessed with some truly glorious, albeit rather coolish weather for the first few days after arriving from Melbourne on January 3rd, and left for Merimbula on January 9th, barely 2 days before the temperature started to soar to 35C and beyond. And we made a wise choice to spend the night of January 19th in Canberra; we returned to Corryong the day after, by which time the heatwave had mercifully come to an end!

#1233656 - 23/01/2014 01:12 Re: NSW/ACT day to day weather [Re: Grant]
aussiestormfreak Offline

Loc: Melbourne (Belgrave); Corryong...
Blair and HumphreyBear, yes no doubt there are heaps of other places around Australia that are warmer than Corryong. But as to whether the town and/or surrounding area has the largest summer/winter temperature difference of any place in Australia, not too sure about that. It would be worth checking though... smile

Still, having said that, the Corryong area does see some quite varied weather over the course of the year, including large daily and seasonal temperature variations. I'd say that Corryong's climate would be closely similar to that in Canberra, with cold winters and hot summers.

However, the presence of the Australian Alps to the south and east tends to intercept and squeeze out moisture (especially from westerly weather systems such as cold fronts moving through Victoria and NSW/ACT), making the Upper Murray substantially wetter on average than the Capital to the east/northeast leeward/drier side of the Alpine region, even though conversely Corryong is amongst the inland-facing slopes and further away from the coast than Canberra! I think, when I last checked, Corryong sees an average of around 700-800mm of rain each year, compared to Canberra's of around 500-600mm?

Also, I think Corryong is a little warmer on average than Canberra, but that's partly because the town is at a lower elevation (around 300m) compared to the Capital. However the town is also in a valley surrounded in all directions by hills and steep mountains. I think, because of the local topography and elevation, Corryong's slightly warmer climate (relative to that of Canberra) is more noticeable in summer than in winter.

Many summer days feel quite toasty, climbing to around 30C, with a handful of days soaring to 35C or more (bushfires are a real threat in the surrounding area), but most summer nights are very comfortable, dropping to around 10-15C.

And yes, Steve's right. The Snowy Mountains keep the Tasman Sea coastal overcast from reaching Corryong in summer, but come winter the Snowies keep the milder maritime air from also reaching the area. The same applies to the Victorian High Country when it comes to maritime air from Bass Strair. Winter brings severe frosts and heavy fogs not unlike those seen in Canberra. Sunshine can be scarce, as the fog may persist for most if not all day, and highs may struggle to exceed 10C!! Snow has fallen in Corryong but I have never been around to see it happen!

Fortunately, spring and autumn are both very pleasant, offering comfortable but also varied temperatures and weather conditions, along with green grass and beautiful flowers and blossoms in springtime and amazing deciduous foliage colours in the autumn.

The only real 'maritime' influence the Corryong area gets comes in the form of intense cold fronts and cold outbreaks like the rest of Victoria and Southern NSW/ACT, the tail-end of east coast lows, and influxes of tropical and subtropical moisture from the north (especially in spring and summer). These tropical and subtropical air-masses, combined with the Great Dividing Range, make Corryong a real thunderstorm hotspot, especially in summertime!

It rarely gets breezy or blustery in the Corryong area, outside of an intense cold front, severe thunderstorm activity, etc.

Flooding often occurs along the nearby Murray River flats, usually in winter and spring because of run-off from alpine snowmelt along with heavy rainfall.

There you are! I've tried to explain Corryong's climate from my personal experiences, as best as possiblec! Sorry if the post is too long... smile

#1233668 - 23/01/2014 08:09 Re: NSW/ACT day to day weather [Re: aussiestormfreak]
Jon77 Offline
Weather Freak

Personally I am really enjoying this cool and cloudy weather over the NSW coast at the moment. I wouldn't usually say that but last summer was so hot, we didn't really have a winter and summer started in late August!

A few more weeks of sun and temps between say 25c - 28c and then we should start to notice the nights getting a little darker and the slide to hopefully a cooler Autumn / Winter than last year.

I love it when I hear reports from our members west of the divide telling us that they are starting to get those cooler nights with heavy dew, tells me winter isn't far away.

And usually I am very much a summer man, but we haven't done so bad for summer over the last 12 months!

Edited by Jon77 (23/01/2014 08:10)

#1233682 - 23/01/2014 09:14 Re: NSW/ACT day to day weather [Re: Grant]
DaveM Offline

smile I usually start a looking forward to mid Feb topic because in my experience for HERE, around then WE will often have a night or two that feels distinctly Autumnal.

(The Capitals are because in the past people have criticised me because they thought I was talking for all locations when I was actually talking about THIS area.)

Hence I won't bother with the topic this year.

By March, we notice the days getting that bit shorter, nights out here cool off more quickly once the sun sets and the house begins to cool a bit. It's only about 3 weeks to Mid Feb - woohoo!!

Jon I will let you know when we have a nice cool night. smile

In the meantime I hope the cloud translates to decent rain for those who need/want it. smile I'm certainly well aware that this area along with plenty of others desperately need good rain. This coming event is nowhere near enough but it's something.

#1233684 - 23/01/2014 09:20 Re: NSW/ACT day to day weather [Re: DaveM]
Jon77 Offline
Weather Freak

Originally Posted By: DaveM
smile I usually start a looking forward to mid Feb topic because in my experience for HERE, around then WE will often have a night or two that feels distinctly Autumnal.

(The Capitals are because in the past people have criticised me because they thought I was talking for all locations when I was actually talking about THIS area.)

Hence I won't bother with the topic this year.

By March, we notice the days getting that bit shorter, nights out here cool off more quickly once the sun sets and the house begins to cool a bit. It's only about 3 weeks to Mid Feb - woohoo!!

Jon I will let you know when we have a nice cool night. smile

In the meantime I hope the cloud translates to decent rain for those who need/want it. smile I'm certainly well aware that this area along with plenty of others desperately need good rain. This coming event is nowhere near enough but it's something.

Yes let me know when the nights cool off, love nothing more than to head out your way when they do.

#1233691 - 23/01/2014 10:00 Re: NSW/ACT day to day weather [Re: Grant]
DaveM Offline

We will actually have nights this coming week in the 11 to 14 'ish range. For Coasties that's already cool smile

For me it's a night or two at or a bit under 10. Will surely post, Humphrey likes to keep an eye on temps too.

If you look like coming out, pm me, be nice to meet. smile

That invitation is pretty much open to the regular contributors in here, I enjoy putting a face to names (or even a real name to a name) smile

#1233709 - 23/01/2014 11:08 Re: NSW/ACT day to day weather [Re: Grant]
ant Offline

Loc: Overlooking ACT at 848m
I can't dare to think about autumn yet, we have what looks like another heatwave lurking in next week. I can't see how long it's going to go for (anyone want to have a stab?). So far it's 31 Monday, 35 Tuesday and 37 Wednesday, which indicates a steady climb into the difficult temperatures again. Once it's in the mid 30s, it just feels too hot.

The nightly cool-downs we've been having have been spectacular though.

#1233726 - 23/01/2014 12:33 Re: NSW/ACT day to day weather [Re: Grant]
DaveM Offline

Extended GFS (grain of salt) has another cool change pushing the red line north again about Tuesday week (05 Feb), that would seem to suit recent patterns a bit. So basically a week of heat then a bit of a cool down for a few days again. Perhaps another round of heat again after that but who knows.

For Bathurst, January is the hottest month and it's almost done !!!

Whether the weather gods will behave as per the calendar and long term averages this year remains to be seen.

5 weeks and 1 day to 28 Feb!!

#1233859 - 23/01/2014 19:37 Re: NSW/ACT day to day weather [Re: ant]
dlcat1 Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Melbourne (NE burbs)
Originally Posted By: ant
I can't dare to think about autumn yet, we have what looks like another heatwave lurking in next week. I can't see how long it's going to go for (anyone want to have a stab?)......

Access G seems to have the pool of heat hanging around until at least Sunday 2nd at the end of the 10 day guesstimating period. There seems to be a front coming through after that but I can't tell whether it will push through or slide south.

#1233872 - 23/01/2014 20:13 Re: NSW/ACT day to day weather [Re: Grant]
Homer Offline

Loc: Dural
As a tradesman, geez I've loved this weeks weather in the height of summer.

Yes DaveM, just 5 more weeks till the end of Feb.
As a Sydneyite, I always look forward to the beginning of March. Cooler nights. Less chance of heatwaves, and when we do get them, they are less severe, and the really cooler weather is closer. Autumn has always been my favourite season. I've also always been in love with the autumnal colours of deciduous trees.

Homer

#1233874 - 23/01/2014 20:22 Re: NSW/ACT day to day weather [Re: Grant]
Steve777 Online   content
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Artarmon (Sydney North Shore)
I do like the Autumn trees.

Autumn can be a famine or a feast. In Sydney It's free of extremes, except sometimes it might be extremely wet.

Some years it's mild with regular rain. Sometimes it's dry and sunny, especially after a wet Summer. In some years you you think that if our major festivals had been developed locally then Easter would be the festival of the Rain God, possibly accompanied by prayers that he go away.

Edited by Steve777 (23/01/2014 20:31)

Page 664 of 1644 < 1 2 ... 662 663 664 665 666 ... 1643 1644 >

Who's Online
6 registered (Steve777, jack63, snowforus, StormQueen, kizz, StormCapture), 221 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Today's Birthdays
Aza1987, Dominic, NoRelationToNed, potato, Radar05
Forum Stats
29612 Members
32 Forums
23934 Topics
1494534 Posts

Max Online: 2925 @ 02/02/2011 22:23
Satellite Image