Page 2 of 21 < 1 2 3 4 ... 20 21 >
Topic Options
#1244349 - 23/02/2014 22:55 Re: Crocs [Re: desieboy]
desieboy Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Broome

Point taken Firepac ...theres probaly many things about this amazing creature that are still completeley misunderstood.

There was an unfortunate and well documented case in the Kimberley with the American woman at the Kings Casades many years ago who tried to swim around a big croc who then submerged ,grabbed by the torso and rolled her around underwater then tossed her up out of the water like a rag doll then rolled her around about 5 more times by that time she had drowned.

The croc then put her body up on the bank under a cluster of mangroves and left her there.When the fisheries and police came there a day later to try retrieve the body the croc was on the bank guarding it and it was with great effort before they could manage to retreive the body and get the huge croc to retreat.

It got more chilling though when later that night and after they had realised they could not get back to the mouth of the Prince Regent river because of the falling tide ,they put the body in a body bag and put it in the dingy . In the middle of the night the croc lauched itself at the dinghy and grabbed the body bag from inside the dinghy and took it away .Eventually the next morning after many hours of trying her body was retrieved a second time and taken to Broome.

This story made world news and flocks of reporters were in Broome to get the fulll story...which as it turned out was a tragic sequence of unfortunate and ill advised events.

#1244370 - 24/02/2014 08:47 Re: Crocs [Re: desieboy]
Brett Guy Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Bently Park, Cairns
I've read the reports of that incident. As far as I can tell the croc/crocs that had a go at the dingy were unlikely to be the same one ad were attracted no doubt to the smell of the corpse which was stashed on the bow and they didn't manage to get the body off the boat according to the police.
On the point of the so called 'death roll'. From my experience with them they use it for a whole swag of reasons but the two most common are as FP said the most common is to tear pieces of food off really large prey items but they also use it regularly when fighting. A very impressive sight.

#1244372 - 24/02/2014 09:02 Re: Crocs [Re: desieboy]
ColdFront Offline
Meteorological Motor Mouth

Loc: Wide Bay..Near the beach
They also use it to take their prey off its legs. I saw a doco where David Attenborough's team set a camera in the mud on a river bank here in Australia somewhere around 25 years ago because a feral pig was returning to the same spot each day to drink. The camera shot was actually angled up slightly between the pig's legs. All of a sudden two eyes broke on the water just in front. The croc grabbed the pig on the face ,rolled once taking it off its legs and slid into back into the water to drown it. All over in seconds.

#1244373 - 24/02/2014 09:17 Re: Crocs [Re: ColdFront]
@_Yasified_shak Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: El Arish
Like this video between Loins taking a buffalo calf, ending up in the water then a croc steps in....

Humans think they are the fabric of society,when they are merely part of the thread.

#1244391 - 24/02/2014 12:12 Re: Crocs [Re: desieboy]
Adele Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Somerset TAS
We did a Daintree River crocodile tour last year a couple of times. It was great to see them in their natural environment. My husband and I were rather amused to see the life jackets stored above our heads on the boat. If the boat started sinking, the life jacket was going to be the least of our problem. I was so frantic about making sure my seven year old kept his arms in the boat. Other passengers must have been thinking I was psychotic or worse. Or just one of those stupid tourists.

#1244394 - 24/02/2014 13:07 Re: Crocs [Re: desieboy]
desieboy Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Crocodile facts from www.nt.gov.au/becrocwise

The saltwater crocodile is the largest living reptile species. It can grow up to six metres and is a serious
threat to humans. Saltwater crocodiles have evolved special characteristics that make them excellent
predators.

Large saltwater crocodiles can stay underwater for at least one hour because they can reduce
their heart rate to 2-3 beats per minute. This means that crocodiles can wait underwater until they
see prey, or if people are using the same spot regularly, the crocodile can wait underwater until
someone approaches the water’s edge.

A crocodile can float with only eyes and nostrils exposed, enabling it to approach prey without
being detected.

When under water, a special transparent eyelid protects the crocodile’s eye. This means that
crocodiles can still see when they are completely submerged.

The tail of a crocodile is solid muscle and a major source of power, making it a strong swimmer
and able to make sudden lunges out of the water to capture prey. These strong muscles also
mean that for shorts bursts of time crocodiles can move faster than humans can on land.

Crocodiles have a thin layer of guanine crystals behind their retina. This intensifies images,
allowing crocodiles to see better at low light levels.

Crocodiles have a ‘minimum exposure’ posture in the water, which means that only their sensory
organs of eyes, cranial platform, ears and nostrils remain out of the water. This means that they
often go unseen by prey, but if they are observed, the prey is often not able to tell how big the
crocodile is.

Crocodile eyes are located very closely together and they are oriented forward. This enables them
to judge distance very accurately so they can determine the exact location of their prey prior to
attack.

Crocodiles have excellent hearing, which helps them to locate prey particularly in poor light or low
visibility conditions.

While crocodiles may regularly lose teeth, they have a second tooth sitting in reserve underneath the external tooth, which can replace the lost tooth.

#1244396 - 24/02/2014 13:12 Re: Crocs [Re: desieboy]
Brett Guy Offline
Weatherzone Addict

What is not described their is their ability sense movement like footsteps from distance. heavy footsteps are easily detectable from 100m or more even when the croc is sitting on the bottom of their water hole. Splashing in the water can be felt from much further.

Edited by Brett Guy (24/02/2014 13:12)

#1244408 - 24/02/2014 13:55 Re: Crocs [Re: desieboy]
desieboy Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Yes BG they didn't survive past the time of the dinosaurs without having amazing prey sensing abilities.

Also about that attack at Kings Cascades I was living at the time with the head of the fisheries who was involved in the recovery of the body and got a first hand account of the whole event and he said it was the same croc which did actually come looking for the body the second time round and he did manage to grab back into the water.

#1244409 - 24/02/2014 14:00 Re: Crocs [Re: desieboy]
desieboy Offline
Weatherzone Addict

On the subject of prey sensing ...snakes also have an amazing ability where they can taste the air in search of their prey and I was told by an expert some brown snakes can sense prey over a kilometre away.
No wonder reptiles are such good hunters.

#1244410 - 24/02/2014 14:04 Re: Crocs [Re: desieboy]
Brett Guy Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Originally Posted By: desieboy

Yes BG they didn't survive past the time of the dinosaurs without having amazing prey sensing abilities.

Also about that attack at Kings Cascades I was living at the time with the head of the fisheries who was involved in the recovery of the body and got a first hand account of the whole event and he said it was the same croc which did actually come looking for the body the second time round and he did manage to grab back into the water.

Fair enough. I guess the info I have is wrong then. Interesting.

#1244418 - 24/02/2014 14:53 Re: Crocs [Re: Adele]
bundybear Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Between Bundy and Gladstone
Originally Posted By: Adele
I was so frantic about making sure my seven year old kept his arms in the boat. Other passengers must have been thinking I was psychotic or worse. Or just one of those stupid tourists.

Years back we did a trip to Karumba and hired a boat to fish from. Our kids would have been 11 and 8. The son, "Mr I am Invincible", would get bored and dangle a hand in the water. That was upanchor and move time for us every time.

The next time we went we hired the BBQ boat. Figured that should be a bit more relaxing for us parents.

I may be paranoid but rather that then being dinner.

When hubby bought himself a tinny down here he deliberately bought one with higher sides. Our creeks don't have crocs according to the authorities but my own eyes and others eyes say different.

#1244426 - 24/02/2014 15:37 Re: Crocs [Re: desieboy]
desieboy Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Yep you never can be too sure with crocs and where they are in the water. A few years ago up here a man was fishing in a boat and got grabbed by the shoulder by a croc after it launched itself and took him into the water ..luckily he managed to escape after being badly bitten.

Also a friend of mine was cruising the creek in a dinghy and had his hand in the water and came in contact with a sea snake that was on the surface getting some air.

So definitely not good idea to have hands dangling in the water from a boat.

#1244475 - 24/02/2014 21:40 Re: Crocs [Re: desieboy]
Popeye Offline

Loc: Cable Beach - Broome WA
Had a bit of a chat to various authorities today regarding the big fella that was spotted on Cables the other day. They think same croc was spotted late yesterday around the cyclone moorings in roebuck bay. They think he is a dominant Male that is happily cruising between Jacks Creek near Eco Beach and Coconut Wells. That's a reasonable territory. He matches descriptions of croc spotted nearly every 2 weeks since Sept. Willie creek croc is safe, like you say better to know your local croc than have new ones kicking through constantly which does make sense.

Happy to see if these croc traps work in Dampier. Give it 2 weeks they reckon. Got steady bookings coming in but I am not all that keen on heading out at the moment. Kinda sucks. Its Feb and its OK to take time off though.

#1244482 - 24/02/2014 23:04 Re: Crocs [Re: Popeye]
desieboy Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Yes Pops heard about the traps at Dampier Creek be interesting to see if they catch one or two? Yes wouldn't at all surprise me if that still the same croc that been around from late last year.

Once they mapped out their territory they seem to do the patrols on a regular basis .We noticed that at Willie the dominant male would every few days go out towards the mouth of the creek to check for others.If another was around he would adopt the tail in the air defensive and I suppose aggressive behaviour position to warn the would be resident away.

You know the black fellas are in the water fishing with throw nets etc quite a bit and never seem to be too worried about them out at the creek.Even seen a big croc on the opposite bank to them throw netting and he don't seem to worry about them.

One local bloke told me that they rather eat them white fellas than the blacks...lol and he also mentioned he was a lot more concerned about the 3 and 1/2 metre hammerhead that regularly cruises the creek then the crocs.

#1244483 - 24/02/2014 23:22 Re: Crocs [Re: desieboy]
Popeye Offline

Loc: Cable Beach - Broome WA
HAHA I would prefer the 3.5 metre hammerhead any day. Seen them regularly enough over the years. How big is the croc at Willie. Is he the 3-4metre range or bigger these days?

#1244487 - 25/02/2014 00:14 Re: Crocs [Re: desieboy]
desieboy Offline
Weatherzone Addict

One is about 3.5 meters and another seen is a 3 metre one there is a third too but she seems to rather aloof as she comes and goes and seems to dissapear for months on end..
I presuming she is a she because the big guy don't worry about what she does or were she goes as long as shes home at midnight... laugh

#1244488 - 25/02/2014 00:46 Re: Crocs [Re: desieboy]
Adele Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Somerset TAS
Baffle Creek area comes to mind BundyBear. Not that I saw any there but it looked like crocodile country to me. I certainly wouldn't get in the water to find out, that is for sure.

I have even had some people from Middlemount believe that there is crocodiles in Mackenzie River this far in land. I must admit I am very sceptical of this. If there was one it would of had to been introduced. And surely there would be photo's and evidence of track sitings, etc. However, I must say these are the same people who believe brown snakes have cross breaded with carpet snakes (shakes head in wonder). So not a very reliable source.

#1244493 - 25/02/2014 02:20 Re: Crocs [Re: desieboy]
bundybear Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Between Bundy and Gladstone
Adele, there was bit in the paper last year about a survey they had been doing on crocs in the Baffle.

http://www.news-mail.com.au/news/fresh-water-crocs-baffle-creek/2130004/

Odd, no mention of crocs living here from the relevant depts.

I have seen pics of freshies up behind Miriamvale.

I don't think the one we saw was a freshie. It was only small so I wonder where the parents are? There is a lot of unused waterway down here for them to lose themselves in. If I was to go looking for them it wouldn't be in the main creek.

There are a lot of people who live with smaller creeks running behind their places that won't swim in the water. I still do but only down near the mouth. BUT there was one salty photographed enjoying the sun down at the mouth last year. shocked

#1244634 - 26/02/2014 09:30 Re: Crocs [Re: desieboy]
ColdFront Offline

Loc: Wide Bay..Near the beach
This was the one that had me curious about how far south they go.

http://www.news.com.au/breaking-news/m-croc-spotted-at-brisbane-beach/story-e6frfku0-1225925576637

#1244637 - 26/02/2014 10:02 Re: Crocs [Re: desieboy]
Brett Guy Offline
Weatherzone Addict

As a General rule of thumb the Rocky/Gladstone area is about as far south as you will see crocs on a regular basis but they will certainly travel further south than this and the odd one has occasionally been known to set up a permanent territory well south of this.

Page 2 of 21 < 1 2 3 4 ... 20 21 >

Who's Online
2 registered (Unstable, 1 invisible), 257 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Forum Stats
29277 Members
32 Forums
23614 Topics
1452198 Posts

Max Online: 2925 @ 02/02/2011 22:23
Satellite Image