Page 61 of 128 < 1 2 ... 59 60 61 62 63 ... 127 128 >
Topic Options
#1243463 - 19/02/2014 10:51 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Wantirna, Vic
Hi folks.

Just as I felt they would, Japan and PNG have come up with EQ's. Png has had 3 M5(+'s) within a fairly short space of time and they were quite shallow at about 60kms deep, compared to some recent very deep recent ones.
In a previous post I mentioned that we would see some shallower quakes popping up in this general region (including Japan) following on from the deeper quakes around Fiji and other regions.

The earthquake in Georgia/South Carolina has some folks there wondering if this was a foreshock to another quake, as they felt it was strange that there was no build up to this last one with small tremors.
Whereas with the Barabados large quake, there seems to have been no aftershocks (to my knowledge at this point). I said in a previous post that this quake was not far from the Atlantic Ridge (which is true), but it was also closer to a plate edge - the quake being approx halfway between land and the plate edge. I get a small feeling that this being such a large movement may indicate that there could be a nearby follow on movement, if not some more subtle undersea shifts (by small degrees) still occurring near this region.

A couple of other regions, such as the Canary Islands, Cape Verde, and Denmark, at this stage haven't come up like I felt they may...time will tell if this actually occurs in the short term.

If you want to keep up with the South Australian tremor recordings, this page keeps a record of many more tremors which don't show up on the Geoscience website.

For now, Duck.

Bit extra...just as I logged off, the west coast of South America registered as just having had an M5.7 I was anticipating. This near the coast of Central Peru and I hope it hasn't caused issues for the folks there.

Edited by duckweather (19/02/2014 10:55)
Edit Reason: bit extra

#1243955 - 21/02/2014 09:13 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi folks.

Canada-
That stealthy movement I was anticipating for Canada, near Quebec, has occurred - just NE of Quebec and another NW of Montreal (this one appears not to be in the waterways).

An M4+ has come up in Britain. I anticipated an EQ near to Birmingham, but it actually came up SW of Birmingham, some miles away near Swansea.

The M5, due east of Uruguay (in the ocean off the east coast of South America), was a location I haven't seen come up with an EQ for a long time. My feeling is that the Barbados large EQ recently, may have something to do with the energy that has 'travelled' south down the Atlantic, just may be causing this and the other Mid-Atlantic Ridge quake in the last 24 hours.

Vladivostok, Russia (east coast), had an M4.5. I feel that this may have occurred possibly due to 'energy' coming in and under the Sea of Japan, from the Pacific Plate. There are no active volcanoes in this region (apparently) so I am feeling this movement may be plate related....but could be wrong.
But...there is a volcano - Changbaishan back towards the SW in China - which may come up with some activity in the future.

For the moment, Duck.

#1244265 - 23/02/2014 10:35 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi folks...have been busy till now.

Here is an interesting time-lapse of the EQ's/tremor activity in Oklahoma in recent times - "News Oklahoma (OK)

At the time of my last post, there was a period of short time beginning where there was a bit of a lull in the number of quakes. I didn't get a chance, but wanted to say that the number would increase again after about 3 to 12 hours from then. This happened and is a 'cyclical' occurrence which seems to happen quite regularly.

The energy travelling around South America, since the larger EQ in Barabados, has seen some interesting quakes arise - to the east, SE (Atlantic side) and north and NW of South America.

I hope to be back later, with a better post wink

Distracted Duck.

#1244346 - 23/02/2014 21:20 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi again.

I've been distracted by a few things in the last couple of days, so my posts have been a bit 'thin on it'.

As I mentioned in a few previous posts, Oklahoma will not let up now with tremors, with more M3's (plus smaller tremors) than I have seen for quite a long time. To me, this is a little concerning, meaning that I get a feeling that there is enough instability in these surrounds, with the latest EQ activity beginning to focus in a more confined region, to maybe release an M4 (maybe even an M4+) in the near future.
Time will tell if this series of ongoing movements will settle or culminate in a moderate quake for the frustrated, some confused and some worried folks there.

Looking at the Global Incidents Map - EQ's at this very moment in time, there is a greatly reduced number of tremors on the west coast of the United States, as compared to the many rumbles they have been getting for some time.
Has the 'energy' of sorts gravitated to the east temporarily? (towards the New Madrid - Oklahoma).
The tremors may pick up again shortly (next few hours) on the west coast and towards Yellowstone again.
Washington (west coast) region is sticking with me a little atm.
I'm not sure why, but I am getting a bit of a feeling the U.S. may see an M5 soon.

The South Sandwich Islands may come up with an M5.
Greece may come up with an M4.
Turkey same as Greece.
Portugal maybe an M3+ and maybe down to the Canary Islands an M3(+?).
Australia southern state an M3(?) - maybe NSW an M3.
Either on or north of or south of Kyrgyzstan maybe an M4.
China maybe another M4+.
Japan an M4.
Indonesia - NW of coast of Oz - maybe south or SW of Java - M4(+?).
Maybe near Yemen an M4(?)
New Zealand North Island maybe an M4.
Solomon and/or Vanuatu (maybe PNG too) maybe an M4.
I have had a bit of a feeling that the energy in the Pacific Plate has been driving in a northerly direction in the last 12 to 24 hours'ish. This may tend back to the west of the ROF soon.

All of the above is just a feeling not a prediction. Take with a 'pinch-of-salt' folks.

There are a couple of obscure regions which are niggling at me. I might jot those later or tomorrow - not sure of my sense of 'feelings' with them at the moment - the old Duck's bingled arm is annoying me atm.

Anyway, for the moment, Duck.

Edited by duckweather (23/02/2014 21:23)
Edit Reason: spelling again

#1244384 - 24/02/2014 11:14 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi folks.

In my last post I mentioned that I had a few (obscure) regions in mind as potentials for tremors/EQ's. I wasn't sure I had clarity on those, so I didn't mention them at the time. Now, though it is now after the fact, those regions 'names' which were sticking with me were "Laura", South Australia and Bhutan (China/India border region).
Both of those locations came up with movements. Sometimes I get a feeling for very specific locations, but am reluctant to mention them in case I am wrong and make a twit of myself.

Anyway, as I felt in my last post, the western side of the Pacific Plate has 'energized' again in the time frame I thought it might and produced some M4's in various places.
Again, Fiji's EQ was deep and seems to have been a pivotal point of agitation (deep seated) which may have assisted in setting off the follow on shallower quakes in some places in the west of the Pacific Plate.

Another feeling of mine is that when the western Pacific Plate appears to possibly move in that westerly (perhaps NW) fashion, the west coast of South America, predominantly the Chile region, comes up with seemingly corresponding EQ's in the M4+ region.

So far, several of the locations I mentioned as potential places for movement (since my last post) in my last post have occurred. Will see If I am correct with the potential of the others occurring in the short term.

Anyway, for the moment,
Duck.

#1244435 - 24/02/2014 17:21 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Just a quicky folks,

Queensland came up with an M3, NE of Mooraberee, early yesterday morning.
Initially I thought (in a previous post) that one may come up near Emerald, but as it turns out I was 800 kms out (Mooraberee is approx 800kms west of Emerald).

The west of the ROF is not a happy chappy atm.

For now, Duck.

#1244520 - 25/02/2014 12:04 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi folks.

The Carlsberg Ridge is experiencing a flurry of EQ's.

This is a region SE of Yemen which I suspected may begin to be activated again. So far there have been approx. 5 EQ's in a very short space of time.

There may be a possibility the energy from this region may travel north and/or west/NW, or up the Arabian Sea. Maybe even towards the Gulf of Aden....will see.

The west coast of the U.S. fired up again with tremors, as has (continuing) the region near Oklahoma/Texas.
There is also activity near and on Washington, western side of the U.S., which I was anticipating too.

The region surrounding Venezuela, Caribbean, north coast of South America, Central America (tending eastern side) and the Virgin Islands is still unsettled. There may be an outside chance of another larger moderate quake closer/within larger region of the Virgin Islands.

I've got a bit of a feeling that the coastal region between Greece/Crete and Italy may come up with a moderate quake. Palermo is sticking with me a little - but this may mean nothing.

The waterway region, north of Mongolia - over the border into Russia, is an area which is also 'sticking' a little with me atm.

For the moment, Duck.

#1244531 - 25/02/2014 13:24 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
perrywinkle Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Warrawee Valley
And, yet another spell of 'quiet' in eastern Australia - tremors seems to come in 'waves'.

#1244539 - 25/02/2014 14:55 Re: Earthquakes [Re: perrywinkle]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi Perrywinkle wink

You're right, it has been moderately calm on the tremor front on the east and south east of Oz. Except for Qld, whose tremor was quite a way inland.

I don't think this calm will last for long though. I could have sworn I felt a very small jitter yesterday and the 'air' around here has felt a bit on the strange side. By 'air' I mean that there is a bit of a sense of possibly a fault around here may be ready to give off a small movement again (in my mind).

I feel that NSW, maybe near the coast or near Canberra (?) may come up with a jitter soon.
I also feel (in my mind again) that there may be an energy coming from the Tasman Sea and Bass Strait (ish), which may produce an M2 for Vic or Vic/SA border or Vic/NSW border region - predominantly along or near the coast. I have been wrong before about this, so take with the proverbial pinch of salt wink

Another small tremor in Tassie may not be out of the question either...will see.

As far as larger EQ's are concerned (not to do with Australia), I feel there is a decent size one brewing somewhere, but can't put a finger on a particular spot atm. This may be water/sea/coast related.

I also get an obscure feeling that an EQ somewhere may destabilize an already vulnerable hillside (one pre-affected by a previous EQ) which may cause such to slip. This may not be associated with an active volcano.

Cheers for now,
Duck.

#1244642 - 26/02/2014 11:33 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi folks.

Well there's the moderate EQ I was feeling was going to occur in Australia somewhere - Coolgardie Goldfields, Western Australia M4.7

You can see on that link above too that South Australia and Western Australia have had other tremors in the last 24 hours.

Other areas to 'watch' and hope that no moderate quakes occur is the west coast of the U.S., near Greece/Turkey and the eastern and western side of the Atlantic (with Barbados on the west).....may be wrong.

For the moment, Duck.

#1244649 - 26/02/2014 12:55 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
perrywinkle Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Warrawee Valley
I agree regarding Canberra - purely from a historic point of view the Cullarin Horst (Collector/Lake George Fault) has been moderately quiet, then a few smallish tremors in its northern end recently. Also the Snowy Mountains has had smallish tremors along visible surface faults recently. Wonder how much of this recording is due to variation in staff monitoring, and how much of it is 'natural'.

#1244661 - 26/02/2014 14:58 Re: Earthquakes [Re: perrywinkle]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi perrywinkle and all.

The following link to the Geoscience website explains why some tremors are not recorded - particularly note the second paragraph for such an explanation.
I have often felt that there are many small movements which cannot be found as have been formally registered, as I have gabbled on about before wink Sometimes I have emailed Geoscience with some of the ones I have noted, but they haven't gone on to be registered formally for probably the reasons mentioned in that second paragraph. Sometimes I have wondered if I was imagining some of them smile

"Earthquake Monitoring"

On another note, Greece and near the Gulf of Aden EQ's occurred as I felt they might, amongst a few.

W.A's EQ today had an aftershock - not sure of the size as I haven't searched for that info so far. It was felt 100's of km's away and may have caused minor damage nearby.

Regarding Canberra, here's a report (pdf - dated 2007), a later one I haven't found yet, by Geoscience - "Earthquakes in the Canberra Region" - Geoscience 2007

We may see a few more unexpected places/locations pop up with tremors/quakes yet (around the globe).

Cheers for the moment, Duck.

#1244778 - 27/02/2014 10:54 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi guys.

There is/has been a considerable amount of energy in various places around the Indian Ocean.
This may continue up through the NE towards Myanmar and possibly continue up near the northern reaches of the Arabian Sea.

.....will be back in a minute (soon)...got to nick off for the moment.

Duck.

#1244780 - 27/02/2014 11:26 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Ok back again.

To continue and add on to my last short post, I have just gone to check the The Earthquake Report site and an EQ of M4.6 in the Myanmar/India border region has been recorded by a couple of European agencies.
This quake occurred about 2 hours ago, so I was actually right with my feelings, but unaware till now that it had occurred.

The Moderate quake in Western Australia yesterday and the aftershocks (including an M2.4 about 8 hours ago), I feel may be fault related - meaning perhaps not necessarily related to mining activity. But I could be wrong given the nature of the business there and the possibility of old mine shafts or (other) giving way with current activity....and that Geoscience has registered the depths as '0'.
If my memory serves me correctly, I read somewhere ages ago that blasts are conducted at the same time, being 1pm, each time so that the locals can know that the booms they hear and feel are known mine activity.
Though I may be corrected on this by someone who knows more facts on this than I do.
The earthquake (and aftershocks) don't correlate with a "1pm" blast time.

The M6+ on the Aleutian Islands in Alaska does not surprise me. I had a feeling we were going to see a larger moderate quake "somewhere" (water/sea/coast related) in the short term, but at the time I gabbled on about that in a previous thread yesterday, I couldn't put a 'finger' on a spot. I feel there may be another in this magnitude in another region in the short term too.

The region of Canada, which I had said I felt had stealthy movement creeping around the eastern side of the country, is still popping up NE of Quebec and surrounds. There may be another tremor to come.

Now, here's one of those 'words' which sometimes pops up in my mind relating to locations of quakes/tremors, which I didn't mention yesterday (again), and I felt was pertinent from a couple of days ago, and now is again after-the-fact of a quake happening....."gold".
I wasn't sure if I was being drawn to Golden Beach on the west coast of the United States or elsewhere. As it has turned out the Goldfields of Western Oz came up.....oh well that'll teach me that in order to hopefully maintain some credibility here, I should note these 'words' here before, and not after, an EQ occurs wink

One region which is still sticking with me for a tremor, though, is Denmark or surrounds...will see.

For the moment, Duck.

#1244866 - 27/02/2014 20:55 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi again for today.

On The Watchers website, Chillymanjaro has written a report for the site regarding the earthquake and its' 15 aftershocks on Western Australia's earthquake
An interesting note in the report is, considering our recent chat on why some tremors are not recorded is;

Quote:
....Since the initial earthquake 15 aftershocks have been recorded, but were too small to be analysed.

This tends to resonate with me, in addition to what's noted in a previous post, as to why some of the movements we may feel in NSW, Vic., S.A. and some other places aren't formally recorded as movements.
Remembering too that we may also sometimes feel reverberations from quakes in other nearby countries, from big quakes and other substantial quakes in the seas.

It looks like West Wylong, NSW, quake/tremor has been upgraded to an M3.2 from an M2.8, unless they were two separate tremors, but they were recorded time was within 2 seconds of each other. This tremor was well away from the coastal regions, where I thought one may come up and a few hundred km's NW of Canberra.

There may be more tremors for Oz to come in the short term.

For now, Duck (who just found out she is going to become a Meema [granny] for the first time - so I am a very Delighted Duck) grin

#1245001 - 28/02/2014 16:48 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi again.

A tremor came up South of Canberra in Berridale very early this morning, at M1.9.
This is the sort of movement I was expecting near Canberra or near the coast.
At the moment (in the last hour), I have felt faint rumbles here, which has correlated with some small jitters on a local seismo (SE Victoria). There's been a bit of a funny feeling in the 'air' around here today.

Here's an ABC article which I found interesting re: Does mining activity cause earthquakes? ...m Reporter) ABC

It feels like the southern half of Australia has become more active atm. Obviously, the tremors coming up in the southern regions of Oz are evident of such and we may go on to feel some more movements.
As perrywinkle mentioned in a previous post, Oz tremors seem to come in 'waves'. I feel that the energies cupping the east, south and west of this continent, and northward energies, appear to jiggling the continent a little - enough to irritate some of our fault lines. I feel there is a bit of pressure coming from a few directions - like a push or squeeze on Oz.

I also feel that there may be (and here's an obscure thought ?) some atmospheric - perhaps solar influences on some of the earth movements atm. Have a look at the Space Weather Station's Absorption Map here..... very interesting.

For the moment, Duck.

#1245132 - 01/03/2014 11:10 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi there.

To start off for today, here's a link to Leon Mow Radio Observatory - Victorian seismograph
The other seismo's in Vic I watch are off-line, so this one is shows that very faint, 'something-in-the-air' feeling of possible movement I nattered on about in a previous post.
There is a 'server status' box to the right of the seismo display which, when the page updates/is updated, tells you if the display is momentarily on or off line.

The Northern Mid-Atlantic Ridge has come up with an approx. M5 about 20 minutes aggo, but is not showing up on the Global Incidents Map EQ's at the moment. This is a region which I mentioned as possibly being one to watch in conjunction with the Caribbean (around the Barbados Sea/Puetro Rico/Virgin Islands region) and over to the Canary Islands/Portugal (general west coast of NW Africa and Europe).

The South of Africa (has had an M5) and the South Sandwich Island regions may come up with more movements in the short term (next couple of days??).

The west coast of the U.S., including from Yellowstone and fanning out from Yellowstone to the west, SW, south and SE, is quite jittery with splintering energy bursts. There are moments of a flurries of activity and then moments of 'earie' calm. (We all like calm of course). I feel that in one of the next flurries of activity, we may see an M4 (possibly an M4+) within this vast region and I feel alot of energy may be being driven by deep volcanic hiccups, as well as pressures coming in from the Pacific and up from the SE of the Pacific - along the plate edges.

Rumbles are still going on in and around the state of Oklahoma (and neighboring states), which is still a sign to me that 'something' is not happy there. Hopefully all of these movements will settle down there soon.

I feel that Central America's EQ's, on the west coast as well as through to the eastern side is being influenced by not only the activity in the Caribbean, but plate activity (and volcanoes?) on the western side. This area to me feels rather unstable.

Greece and eastern Canada have, and are still, come/ing up with EQ's/tremors I was anticipating.

For the moment, Duck.

#1245273 - 02/03/2014 12:44 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi again.

At this point in time, it is somewhat 'quiet' again on the EQ front.
Though, I get a bit of a feeling that the Pacific may fire up again - maybe towards Taiwan, Philippines, Japan, north of New Zealand, Kamchatka - but this is not a firm feeling at this moment.
The lower SE of the Pacific, including Central America, is another region which may come up with some M4 (maybe 4+'s) in the short term.

If you imagine a large circled area with the Caspian Sea being the centre - and radiating out to Turkey, Pakistan, Kyrgyzstan as an example of being on the periphery of this imaginary circle, I feel there may be a moderate quake in this general region - can't pinpoint an exact spot atm.

Italy, Crete and Gibraltar are just a couple of other regions which are drawing me to them atm.

I may be a bit more specific later smile

For now, Duck.

#1245356 - 02/03/2014 23:17 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Finally got a chance to drop in here again.

So far since my last post today, my hunches, which I felt were mild at the time, regarding the SE of the Pacific (including Central America and the western side of the Pacific, have been fairly spot on.
The larger quake in/near the coast off Nicaragua, seems to perhaps not have caused too many issues for the folks there, and as far as I currently know, no lives have been thankfully lost.

That imaginary circle I mentioned in my last post has seen some quakes/tremors fall into such, e.g. Turkey, Ukraine etc..
Italy also came up with a tremor.

At one point (again after my last post) I watched Japan east coast experience an M4.3 - as their seismo sensors 'went-off'. They also endured aftershocks of a smaller range.
Taiwan NE also came up with an M4+ (they have just had another M4+ as I type this post).

I came across another article which I had bookmarked some time ago, which some of you may find interesting - dated September 2013;
Japan deep sea drilling boat casts off t...) Sept 13, 2013

For now, Duck.

#1245383 - 03/03/2014 10:57 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi folks.

Boy those regions of Japan and Central America (west coast and through to the Caribbean Sea), which I had feelings that they were vulnerable places for instability was actually right. Both of these regions stood out to me as being potentials for larger quakes.
The Pacific Plate (and associated plate edge plates) is as I mentioned earlier - not a 'happy chappy'.
I knew something on both sides was brewing and felt that the larger movements were not going to be balanced on just one side of the Pacific.
Let's hope that folks in these regions haven't experienced a negative impact to their homes and selves.

There are no buoys in event mode in these regions, except for a buoy near Sumatra in Indonesia.

The west coast of the U.S., near Eureka and perhaps lower down the coast, may go on to be affected by this large movement in Central America. There may be a possibility of an M4+ amongst these regions.

The Pacific Islands. western Pacific, Indonesia and Philippines have also felt the effects of the grumbling Pacific Plate.

There may be some energy from this Pacific region to travel west through China lower through to the Middle East, then Mediterranean....will see.

These larger quakes may have an effect on the output of several volcanoes and may destabilize (may have) some land forms - such as ground deviations and/or landslides.

There may be even some more movements (by degrees) in the Pacific Seas - maybe smaller islands, for example maybe Easter Island again or another perhaps near the Marianna's....

My opinion above are just feelings, not predictions - I could be wrong.

For now, Duck.

Page 61 of 128 < 1 2 ... 59 60 61 62 63 ... 127 128 >

Who's Online
4 registered (EddyG, Steve777, ozthunder, DaveM), 272 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Today's Birthdays
colorado, Effrem, whitsunday
Forum Stats
29343 Members
32 Forums
23662 Topics
1458842 Posts

Max Online: 2925 @ 02/02/2011 22:23
Satellite Image