NOTICE!

The Weatherzone forum has now closed and is in read-only mode until the 1st of November when it will close permanently. We would like to thank everyone who has contributed over the past 18 years.

If you would like to continue the discussion you can follow us on Facebook and Twitter or participate in discussions at AusWeather or Ski.com.au forums.

Page 14 of 24 < 1 2 ... 12 13 14 15 16 ... 23 24 >
Topic Options
#1369274 - 08/03/2016 19:21 Re: Crocs [Re: desieboy]
Brett Guy Offline
Meteorological Motor Mouth

Loc: Bently Park, Cairns
Hopefully she recovers well but from the footage i just cannot understand how she was grabbed unless she froze.
If that is the case i have to wonder why. Having said that though the footage was not the greatest and may not have shown everything.

Edited by Brett Guy (08/03/2016 19:30)

#1369306 - 08/03/2016 21:18 Re: Crocs [Re: Hurricane force]
ColdFront Offline

Loc: The Beach.
Originally Posted By: Hurricane force
Needs a little more training on the practical side I would say!!

Assuming she stays crazy

#1369381 - 09/03/2016 11:29 Re: Crocs [Re: desieboy]
Rigger Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Leanyer,NT (suburb of Darwin)
Here's some pics I took on Yellow Waters ( Kakadu ) back in January

#1369420 - 09/03/2016 15:30 Re: Crocs [Re: desieboy]
ColdFront Offline

Great snaps. Thanks for sharing.

#1369716 - 10/03/2016 23:11 Re: Crocs [Re: ColdFront]
Dawgggg Offline

Loc: Townsville
Originally Posted By: ColdFront
Some woman has reportedly been bitten at Billabong Sanctuary in Townsville this arvo.

Legit, Billabong Sanctuary is just over the creek from my place!

*Nome* made headlines for the first time ever lol

#1369891 - 11/03/2016 22:59 Re: Crocs [Re: Rigger]
El Jefe Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Parap, NT
I remember a big bugger out at Corroboree like that fella in your 3rd & 4th shot. Sat there watching us in our tinnie for a good 15 minutes before disappearing... then we felt the boat rocking from side to side and heard him scraping under the bottom of the boat as he passed right under us. Scariest time I've had in boat by far.. bastidge was stalking us for a good long while!! We wimped out and motored upstream a good ways to get some clear water away from him! Big Bugger that he was!! grin

Originally Posted By: Rigger
Here's some pics I took on Yellow Waters ( Kakadu ) back in January

#1373695 - 22/04/2016 23:12 Re: Crocs [Re: desieboy]
desieboy Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Broome

Quote from science magazine crocs live for ages

Have a look at this bad boy this hunter shot in Australia in the year 1957 It was an 8.1 m (28 feet) long crocodile!"
Could this be the biggest croc seen in OZ?

#1373724 - 23/04/2016 16:41 Re: Crocs [Re: desieboy]
Brett Guy Offline

That one is actually a roper river croc and closer to 5m. There is no photographic evidence of the big normanton croc. Actually i have yet to see a photo of a croc bigger than about 6.5m even though the official record is a tad over 7. But just imagine the bulk of a 7m croc. It would be astounding.

#1373727 - 23/04/2016 17:00 Re: Crocs [Re: desieboy]
ColdFront Offline

Originally Posted By: desieboy

Quote from science magazine crocs live for ages

Have a look at this bad boy this hunter shot in Australia in the year 1957 It was an 8.1 m (28 feet) long crocodile!"
Could this be the biggest croc seen in OZ?

Yeah it's a beast but probably some tricky imagery. Adding people well back always makes them look bigger. If you want your fish to look bigger hold them out front wink

That measurement you gave is the same or similar to the Norman River Croc in the southern gulf half a century ago. I spoke to a local who saw it and he said it was definitely up around the 25 foot mark and has seen many big crocs in the Norman and Gilbert Rivers in his 80 years.

#1373733 - 23/04/2016 18:17 Re: Crocs [Re: desieboy]
scott12 Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: maadi Tully area
Photographic trickery has been around as long as photography itself..I wish some photo's of some of these monsters included a tape measure run down their backs so we could appreciate the true size rather than the photographers ability..the amount of exaggeration when it comes to crocs is even more amazing than fish..

I guess the problem these days is that there are very few "remote" areas for a croc to live in peace beyond 4 metres or so...and the difference between a 3.5-4 metre animal and a 5 metre one are huge..I doubt there are many 5m or over animals left alive..

Brett, a 7 metre croc would have an amazing girth and how old would it be ...150-200 years, maybe more..?..I just cant see where it could live to this size and not be noticed /shot or captured..

Brett, you work with probably the biggest croc in captivity..It would be nice if you shared your views on Cassius...I've not seen him but from what I know he has been on Green Island for almost 30 years but has grown less than than 1 foot ..Is this true..?..how much has his weight and girth/size increased in this time..?....I was also wondering about "Gregory the Croc at the old Innisfail croc farm..my kids grew up watching old Mick sitting on the back of Gregory and putting his hat on head..it was stated that he was a 5 metre croc..do you know if that was correct and where is Gregory now..?

#1373734 - 23/04/2016 18:27 Re: Crocs [Re: scott12]
ColdFront Offline

Originally Posted By: scott12 (pogo)
..I doubt there are many 5m or over animals left alive..

If they can find one over 6 metres in the Philippines then they are likely to be about in the more remote areas of Australia.

#1373736 - 23/04/2016 18:31 Re: Crocs [Re: desieboy]
desieboy Offline
Weatherzone Addict

There are some old pics around with huge crocs tied up to the mask of the old luggers in the croc hunting days .They will hopefully be gauged well against the height of the mask .
A old pearler here who used croc hunt the off season says over 7 metres crocs definitely were seen and recorded .....

Just have to find the pics that's all... frown

#1373739 - 23/04/2016 18:48 Re: Crocs [Re: scott12]
Brett Guy Offline

Photographic trickery has been around as long as photography itself..I wish some photo's of some of these monsters included a tape measure run down their backs so we could appreciate the true size rather than the photographers ability..the amount of exaggeration when it comes to crocs is even more amazing than fish..

I guess the problem these days is that there are very few "remote" areas for a croc to live in peace beyond 4 metres or so...and the difference between a 3.5-4 metre animal and a 5 metre one are huge..I doubt there are many 5m or over animals left alive..

Brett, a 7 metre croc would have an amazing girth and how old would it be ...150-200 years, maybe more..?..I just cant see where it could live to this size and not be noticed /shot or captured..

Brett, you work with probably the biggest croc in captivity..It would be nice if you shared your views on Cassius...I've not seen him but from what I know he has been on Green Island for almost 30 years but has grown less than than 1 foot ..Is this true..?..how much has his weight and girth/size increased in this time..?....I was also wondering about "Gregory the Croc at the old Innisfail croc farm..my kids grew up watching old Mick sitting on the back of Gregory and putting his hat on head..it was stated that he was a 5 metre croc..do you know if that was correct and where is Gregory now..?

Hey Scott. Cassius is an amazing animal without a doubt. And at 5.5m he is a rare animal indeed but i would bet my house that there are bigger crocs kicking around out there. They just are not as common as many would like to believe. The gene pool of big crocs was thinned out in the hunting days. Places like some of the remote rivers of cape york and the western side of the NT would have some. As well as New guinea etc.
Apparently Cassius has only grown 3inches since he came to GI in 1987 but i would guess he has actually lost weight. He is well past his prime.
As for Gregory he was alwaus claimed to be 5.2. But i measured him once at just on 5. And he was BIG. Very heavyset.
As far as i know the biggest croc ever kept in captivity (at least for any period of time) was Lolong in the Phillipines at 6.2m.
Oh. And as far as i know Gregory is still at Innisfail. He certainly still was when i left. Such an awsome croc to work with.

#1373741 - 23/04/2016 19:09 Re: Crocs [Re: desieboy]
ColdFront Offline

Originally Posted By: desieboy

There are some old pics around with huge crocs tied up to the mask of the old luggers in the croc hunting days .They will hopefully be gauged well against the height of the mask .
A old pearler here who used croc hunt the off season says over 7 metres crocs definitely were seen and recorded .....

Just have to find the pics that's all... frown

They are definitely out there and cunning. hence why a) they are not seen often and b) got to that length to begin with. In fact that guy in the Territory that does the docos reckons he has just captured a 5.5 mtr specimen in a billabong.

People often dismiss things simply because they didn't see it themselves Desie. When they make stupid claims that crocs are moved to remote locations for a photo shoot their credibility becomes redundant from that day forward .

#1373744 - 23/04/2016 19:43 Re: Crocs [Re: desieboy]
scott12 Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: maadi Tully area
You got any other info on that 5.5 m croc Coldie..?..who is the guy that does the doco's.....?....sounds interesting..

Brett,Thats a shame about Cassius..how does his temperament compare to Gregories...?..are monster size crocs more placid and predictable than the smaller guys as a result of years of domestication.....?...yeah Gregory was always a favourite of our kids ...the school used to also take them there each year as well as my family when they came up to visit....its a shame that its not a public attraction anymore..

For anyone that hasn't seen old Mick riding Gregory heres a video..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYAaERcvzbA

I always noticed that no matter how casual old Mick seemed ,he always kept his eyes on the croc and always avoided the area between the crocs front leg and the snout..

#1373745 - 23/04/2016 19:49 Re: Crocs [Re: scott12]
ColdFront Offline

You got any other info on that 5.5 m croc Coldie..?..who is the guy that does the doco's.....?....sounds interesting..

There you go mate. Note where it was caught and cassius for that matter. Desie put up a video a while back of a reported 6 mtr lizard over in the nth west.

http://www.ntnews.com.au/news/northern-t...e54abefa98fdd5c

#1373746 - 23/04/2016 19:56 Re: Crocs [Re: desieboy]
ColdFront Offline

My guess is he will be making a doco on that big croc soon enough. Apparently that's part of what he does.

#1373765 - 23/04/2016 22:43 Re: Crocs [Re: desieboy]
ColdFront Offline

Desie I am fairly sure that file photo of yours is from the Pioneer River (Mackay) back in the 20's.

#1373770 - 24/04/2016 01:03 Re: Crocs [Re: desieboy]
desieboy Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Yep Coldie judging by the clothes they are wearing which does look around that period.
Thought that author threw that pic in to authenticate his big old croc story but its a good old one none the less.

Yes think theres a few of those big croc stories/docs in the pipe coming up cause theres been a few film makers sniffing around the north west and asking about giant ones.
I got to get to the museum when I got time cause they got the pics from local papers 1890 to 2000 and somewhere in there is the real big bad boy.The only problem is that they have 214,000 pages to sift through. frown

#1373772 - 24/04/2016 01:35 Re: Crocs [Re: desieboy]
desieboy Offline
Weatherzone Addict

I have seen a picture and remember it quite vividly but not sure where I saw it many years ago ....But I do have some ideas where it may be ...but I probably will not publish if I do find it ...
But its a pic of a massive croc swimming down the Ord River its head right out of the water with a dead Aboriginal fellow in its jaws.Very frightening stuff .

Pretty sure pic was taken by one of the original settlers in the East Kimberley area.
The story was they had been rounding up cattle near the river and had a photographer taking pics of their activities and they stopped on the banks to boil the billy and that's what they saw in the middle of the day..
Makes you wonder how many indigenous people were actually taken by crocs over the years..?

Page 14 of 24 < 1 2 ... 12 13 14 15 16 ... 23 24 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 47 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Today's Birthdays
colorado, Effrem, whitsunday
Forum Stats
29947 Members
32 Forums
24194 Topics
1529243 Posts

Max Online: 2985 @ 26/01/2019 12:05
Satellite Image