NOTICE!

The Weatherzone forum has now closed and is in read-only mode until the 1st of November when it will close permanently. We would like to thank everyone who has contributed over the past 18 years.

If you would like to continue the discussion you can follow us on Facebook and Twitter or participate in discussions at AusWeather or Ski.com.au forums.

Page 48 of 59 < 1 2 ... 46 47 48 49 50 ... 58 59 >
Topic Options
#1273899 - 21/08/2014 00:04 Re: Aviation, Flying, and your flying / travel experiences & photos / movies... [Re: tornadochaser_76]
aussiestormfreak Offline
Meteorological Motor Mouth

Loc: Melbourne (Belgrave); Corryong...
Bula vinaka! Thought I'd share my flying experiences from my recent trip to Fiji. smile

Around 11pm (Melbourne/Canberra/Sydney/Hobart time) on Monday August 11th 2014 I departed Melbourne aboard Fiji Airways (formerly Air Pacific) FJ930, and arrived around 5:30am on Tuesday August 12th 2014 (New Zealand/Fiji time) in Nadi (en route to Nausori and Suva). It was a cold night at Melbourne Airport, around 5C with the Super Moon high overhead in-between light showers, but very pleasant after I reached my first destination, around 21C with a gorgeous sunrise over the Sabeto Mountains to the east of Nadi. smile

I didn't have a window seat as I normally do, and it was too dark anyway to see anything, so I had no idea of where I was flying over at any particular point in time. According to data I obtained from Flightaware, the flight took me almost-directly over Corryong, Northeast Victoria around 11:50pm, and straight over Canberra's northern suburbs at around midnight. Around this time, the captain announced on the radio that we were flying over the NSW Snowy Mountains and over the Capital. I exited the Australian East Coast and entered the Tasman Sea and South Pacific Ocean at around 12:10am over Shell Cove (between Kiama and Shellharbour in the NSW Illawarra region).

The flight was fairly uneventful weatherwise, but having checked through the Weatherzone forum and the radar and satellite images prior to boarding my flight at Melbourne Airport I was aware of shower and possible thunderstorm activity lurking along and off the NSW coastline in southerly winds, so I was concerned about possible turbulence. Fortunately, apart from the occasional rounds of mild/moderate bumps and shakes, the flight was all smooth-sailing! smile

Once in Nadi, I boarded FJ7 for Suva around 8am Fiji time, and landed around 30 minutes later in Nausori, Suva; the Super Moon was over the west by then but had not yet set. Conditions were a bit hazy and partly cloudy with patchy inland fog on the western side of the main island of Viti Levu (the so-called 'burning west' or drier, leeward side of the island), with heavy cloudcover and showers on the windward, wetter eastern side, especially around Suva and Nausori (it was probably around 24C after I landed). Again no window seat for me.

On Monday August 19th 2014, around 2pm Fiji time, I boarded FJ12 at Nausori and departed for Nadi (en route back to Melbourne). The flight was again only about 20-30 minutes. As with the Nadi-Nausori flight, it was quite cloudy over much of the interior of Viti Levu, particularly on the eastern side, but mostly sunny around Nadi (around 27C), aside from smoke billowing from sugar cane fires and burn-off activity (winds were westerly at the time instead of the usual southeast trade wind). This time I had a window seat. smile

Around 6pm Fiji time, I boarded FJ931 at Nadi for Melbourne. Again I didn't have a window seat but I had a view facing west and enjoyed a fantastic, brief sunset over the Mamanuca and Yasawa Islands before take-off. Total darkness set in around an 90 minutes later during the flight. Otherwise nothing much to report, just a bit of mild/moderate turbulence. Data obtained from Flightaware showed that I came back onto the Australian East Coast at 9pm (Melbourne/Canberra/Sydney/Hobart time) right over Merimbula on the NSW South Coast! smile

I landed at Melbourne Airport around 15 minutes ahead of schedule due to a good tail wind (we were scheduled to arrive at 10pm). I arrived home just before midnight. It was around 11C by the time I arrived back in Melbourne.

Unfortunately, there was NO sleep whatsoever for me during the Melbourne-Nadi flight, so by the time I joined my fiancee and her family in Suva I was totally exhausted and suffering from a bad headache! I don't know which is worse when it comes to flying from Melbourne to Fiji, an early-morning flight or an overnight flight. If only I had the option of a late-morning/midday/afternoon flight. Either way I can't win! frown

#1274196 - 24/08/2014 03:26 Re: Aviation, Flying, and your flying / travel experiences & photos / movies... [Re: tornadochaser_76]
Orebound Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Port Hedland WA / Darwin NT
Attending a bit of a gathering of the local aviation community this weekend down at the historic WW2 Coomalie Creek Airfield to commemorate VJ Day. Really nice to see most of the old local warbirds and historic planes making an appearance along with a few of the more modern aircraft doing their thing to impress the crowd.

Here is a few snaps of some of the attendees.....

YAK.
by Orebound Images, on Flickr

Pitts Special

Tigermoth

Harvard landing at Coomalie Airstrip

Harvard.

Photos

#1274221 - 24/08/2014 14:24 Re: Aviation, Flying, and your flying / travel experiences & photos / movies... [Re: tornadochaser_76]
desieboy Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Broome

Beautiful pics Orebound ..such good clarity too.

Looks like a great day to be watching them old beasts flying around up there.

#1274234 - 24/08/2014 16:29 Re: Aviation, Flying, and your flying / travel experiences & photos / movies... [Re: tornadochaser_76]
Dawgggg Offline

Loc: Townsville
Nice OB. Some sexy old birds there.

#1274327 - 25/08/2014 14:54 Re: Aviation, Flying, and your flying / travel experiences & photos / movies... [Re: tornadochaser_76]
Orebound Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Port Hedland WA / Darwin NT
Cheers.

Here's a bit of video I shot in the Harvard pictured above. Never fly with friends or colleagues as their main objective is always to try and make you spew! laugh

North American Harvard/T-6 Flight Video

(Typical YouTube compression so might look a bit cleaner adjusted to play in 720HD)

Photos

#1274595 - 27/08/2014 12:51 Re: Aviation, Flying, and your flying / travel experiences & photos / movies... [Re: tornadochaser_76]
Pacman Offline

Loc: Cairns - Upper Bentley Park
I have just returned from 6 weeks travelling OS and had the opportunity to fly from Singapore- Doha- Munich on the Qatar Boeing 787. I was impressed with the interior Qatar had and also the amount of room inside the B787. It seemed like a rather short plane internally overall. I personally didn't like the cabin noise from the rattling overheads and Lavatories which didn't allow for much sleep. The 787 seemed rather heavy as one could feel the vibrations coming up from the bogies as they traversed every bump on the tarmac and runway. The 787 did offer a smooth flying experience overall.
I also had the opportunity to see the A350 sporting the Airbus colors on the ground at Franfurt airport; looking forward to getting on this baby some day as it looked very impressive with its winglets and design.

#1277501 - 24/09/2014 01:06 Re: Aviation, Flying, and your flying / travel experiences & photos / movies... [Re: tornadochaser_76]
ColdFront Offline

Loc: The Beach.

#1278873 - 05/10/2014 20:33 Re: Aviation, Flying, and your flying / travel experiences & photos / movies... [Re: tornadochaser_76]
Dawoodman Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Thoopara; Prossie/ Bayswater
here is an interesting aviation video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xs3HrGaIA1k

it is the unveiling of sikorski's (spelling?) new attack hellicopter..... mad looking design
I think it will set a few new land speed records in its class

a pretty sexy machine

#1278896 - 05/10/2014 23:59 Re: Aviation, Flying, and your flying / travel experiences & photos / movies... [Re: tornadochaser_76]
Mick10 Offline
Weatherzone Moderator

Loc: Kirwan, Townsville - NQld.
I had a nice adventure coming back from Canberra to Townsville (via Brisbane) on Thursday evening.
My virgin Australia E190 came in from Brisbane on time. I was watching them load our luggage on to the aircraft for the turnaround back to Brisbane. But they did make the make call for boarding on time. another 15minutes pass before the announcement came "blahblah flight to Brisbane has an engineering fault, we have no scheduled time of departure at this point. Would passenger Michael..... please come to service desk".
well that's the point you know your heart has sunk. Thursday was also my 15th wedding anniversary and I knew I wasn't going to make my connecting flight, the last of night, back to the 'ville.
The service staff were great, said they would get me to Brisbane that night and put me in accommodation for the night. I said no, I can stay with my parents if they give me a taxi fare to their place instead. So all was settled, rang the wife, who took it well.
So after another hour of waiting, they finally said it looks like the plane wont be departing at all. was put on another E190 to Melbourne, which was held up 45 minutes for us all (about 20) to be rebooked and luggage transferred. not sure what happened to other 100 passengers or where they ended up or what happened to my original plane.
after landing in Melbourne, was shuffled to a 737-800 up to Brisbane. this plane was held up for an hour for us to make our connection to Brisbane. finally get to Brisbane at 1130pm. was given my taxi cabcharges and told I was on the 6am flight to Townsville. said no to that one, as I would have had to have been back to the airport within a few hours. so they put me on one at noon (had the ok from work to be late). Then find out my suitcase was left in either Canberra or Melbourne, they weren't sure. but they will find it.
Rock up back at the airport next morning, went to baggage services first. yep there was my suitcase, arrived 30minutes earlier. so checked in. went to my gate to board another E190. We were left waiting out in the sun on the tarmac for 15minutes and would let us up the stairs. then boarded to find the air con wasn't working. they spent 30minutes trying to fix the aircon and was about to take us off the plane when they finally fixed it. then the pilots had to go through the whole pre flight check list.
90 minutes late, we finally took off and made it home!
bottom line is, I wasn't meant to be on a Qantas flight home that night, which landed on time, but got moved to the later virgin flight because I had to work a bit later!
2019 Yearly total to date - 2049.9mm (1129mm)

#1278907 - 06/10/2014 08:21 Re: Aviation, Flying, and your flying / travel experiences & photos / movies... [Re: tornadochaser_76]
Dawgggg Offline

Loc: Townsville
That is every travllers nightmare.

Im pretty lucky mate, with the amount I fly And have only had 2-3 really late flights from faults.

#1278995 - 06/10/2014 16:08 Re: Aviation, Flying, and your flying / travel experiences & photos / movies... [Re: tornadochaser_76]
Dawoodman Offline
Weatherzone Addict

sounds like you took the scenic route back to townsville
I got to the checkin at avalon ready to head to sydney last saturday
I was with my mates and thought I was on their flight.
We rocked up at 1850 when check in opened and they said I
was on the one that left at 1820!

thank god jetstar did some magic on the computer and I only had to pay the $50 transfer fee.

#1279104 - 07/10/2014 09:46 Re: Aviation, Flying, and your flying / travel experiences & photos / movies... [Re: tornadochaser_76]
Mick10 Offline
Weatherzone Moderator

oops!
dont you just hate that. least jetstar were good about, they could have been right royal pains and say you lost your fare and have to buy a new one. good to see they were accomodating.

#1280636 - 15/10/2014 14:17 Re: Aviation, Flying, and your flying / travel experiences & photos / movies... [Re: tornadochaser_76]
Dawoodman Offline
Weatherzone Addict

yeah.... was grand final night and sydney lost so i was lucky

#1280901 - 18/10/2014 14:11 Re: Aviation, Flying, and your flying / travel experiences & photos / movies... [Re: tornadochaser_76]
desieboy Offline
Weatherzone Addict

This is interesting stuff, maybe help locate MH370.

An Australian scientist says it is possible to locate missing Malaysian Airlines flight MH370 by identifying cloud changes for evidence of vapour trails caused by burning fuel emissions from the aircraft.

Vapour trails from aircraft

#1280902 - 18/10/2014 14:14 Re: Aviation, Flying, and your flying / travel experiences & photos / movies... [Re: tornadochaser_76]
desieboy Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Also this hopefully will pick up the customer services on Tiger. Quote from yesterdays news

"VIRGIN Australia has today announced a complete takeover of low cost carrier Tiger Airways.

The airline already has a 60 per cent stake in Tiger, and will acquire the remaining 40 per cent of shares for just $1.

The move is expected to help Virgin return to profitability by the end of 2016 despite a first quarter underlying loss for 2014-15 of $45 million.

As part of the proposed acquisition, Virgin Australia will fly Tigerair to a number of short-haul destinations in a move likely to put it in direct competition with Jetstar."

#1280917 - 18/10/2014 16:25 Re: Aviation, Flying, and your flying / travel experiences & photos / movies... [Re: tornadochaser_76]
Mick10 Offline
Weatherzone Moderator

purchase a 40% stake in an airline for just $1 dollar. pretty good deal, one wonders if the accc thought that was fair or not. Qantas is already struggling and now virgin can by an airline and place it against Jetstar. then we complain when we want to give Qantas a bigger share of international buyers.
having said that Virgin is posting losses and just bought an airline which is also posting a loss.

#1280922 - 18/10/2014 17:06 Re: Aviation, Flying, and your flying / travel experiences & photos / movies... [Re: tornadochaser_76]
desieboy Offline
Weatherzone Addict

All pretty cut throat sort of business in the Airline industry these days .

Not much real profit making happening lately anyway.

I suppose if everyone wants low price fares and the competition for bums on seats is immense to make up for the apparent operating costs there isn't going to be much margin to make lots of money..

#1281025 - 19/10/2014 23:11 Re: Aviation, Flying, and your flying / travel experiences & photos / movies... [Re: tornadochaser_76]
Dawoodman Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Airline Industry as a whole only makes US$6b dollars profit, not a lot to share around every airline... industry is worth ~US$600b, its going to get worse, or all most all familiar airline will become LCCs

#1281026 - 19/10/2014 23:20 Re: Aviation, Flying, and your flying / travel experiences & photos / movies... [Re: tornadochaser_76]
ColdFront Offline

Loc: The Beach.
I was reading that the A380's aren't doing too well. Plenty of cancelled orders and hard to make a business case for at $400 million a piece. The article reckons they'll be lucky if they break even on them.

#1281051 - 20/10/2014 11:08 Re: Aviation, Flying, and your flying / travel experiences & photos / movies... [Re: tornadochaser_76]
Dawoodman Offline
Weatherzone Addict

yeah, most airlines need to sell 90-95% of the seats to break even..... pretty hard to maintain almost 500 per flight. the 747 and 777 seem to fit nicely into the upper limits.

also the a380 was a terrible cargo aircraft. you can imagine how much more room all the extra bags will take up. a full conversion of the aircraft would require new ULDs as the shape of the aircraft changes. for many routes cargo is what makes the big bucks

Page 48 of 59 < 1 2 ... 46 47 48 49 50 ... 58 59 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 47 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Today's Birthdays
JEFF.H., LaLa, Matt Pearce, Squirel2000, TJK1974, Traveller Steveo, Watcher@Tmba
Forum Stats
29947 Members
32 Forums
24194 Topics
1529242 Posts

Max Online: 2985 @ 26/01/2019 12:05
Satellite Image