NOTICE!

The Weatherzone forum has now closed and is in read-only mode until the 1st of November when it will close permanently. We would like to thank everyone who has contributed over the past 18 years.

If you would like to continue the discussion you can follow us on Facebook and Twitter or participate in discussions at AusWeather or Ski.com.au forums.

Page 4 of 59 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 58 59 >
Topic Options
#224278 - 26/07/2008 11:33 Re: Aviation, Flying, and your flying / travel experiences & photos / movies...
rain gauge Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Gorokan NSW 4klm West of the ...
The flight attendant was the only fatality, but the thing is with that, was one of the passengers noticed a hole in fuselage, as she boarded the plane, but thought oh well they know what there doing, too much salt in the air in that case, and a billion cycles too!! Lucky for Qantas, 'this time' had that whole been bigger it would of been bye, bye 747 and all on board.

#224279 - 26/07/2008 16:32 Re: Aviation, Flying, and your flying / travel experiences & photos / movies...
Dale Small Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Greymouth - West Coast, NZ..
No offence to Tony.. id rather continue this on here.
To me that QF flight seems like metal fatigue.
Going back through the archives, its a 17 year old craft, flown more miles than you could imagine, been refitted more than once, found corrosion in numerous places (and this is not of archived new reports..) go back a few years to mentioned above.. Aloha, United 747 that blew its ass out over the pacific a few years back, couple of others that have escaped me.

The Aloha airlines event was and is one to be set aside on its own.

This one goes next to the United jumbo that blew its side out a few years ago.

Now, working in structural steel most of my life, hairline fractures always occour. Tower crane jibs and booms are routinely x-rayed for these since if 1 is found, the whole structural integriety of the crane itself is compromised.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Gjib_I_ab84

This was the worlds biggest crane going down like a sack of spuds.. its wasnt overloading that caused it, was the fact hairline fractures were found in the boom and jib sections of it. My worst nightmare come true & I personally have been near 40 levels up on a crane similar that blew a hydraulic ram & had a near similar catastrophy and have seen the same thing happen on a smaller crane which sent the struts flying out like matchsticks and the load crashing to the ground.

Back to the topic though.. I am only one of millions who would have an opinion, i cannot talk to the boffins that do their thing to find out what happened, but it smacks me similar to a few incidents, majority involving 747's, of fuselage fractures which have gone undected causing blowouts of this nature.

Full commendations to the captain and first officer for getting those 360 odd pax down safely.. as they are trained to do.
My next pee off is that the other blowouts on the jumbos, have been in the same position.. fore fuselage right before the wing.

That to me smacks of structural integrity.. but I am just another person that flies on them things now and then.

#224280 - 26/07/2008 23:35 Re: Aviation, Flying, and your flying / travel experiences & photos / movies...
Mick10 Offline
Weatherzone Moderator

Loc: Kirwan, Townsville - NQld.
hey guys,
i too love flying, does anyone else check what type of aircraft your flying on when booking tickets on the net? i have actually booked longer stopovers or had an extra stop just so i can fly on an aircraft i have never been on before!!! hope i am not the only nerd that does that.
I have only been on Virgin twice, had a bad time with their customer service and attitude i have only flown with them once since. despite the problems reported with Jetstar, i am yet to have a problem with them. infact even checking in late once the lady at the melbourne counter was really friendly and checked us in etc. however most of the problems i hear about jetstar are all related to changed/cancelled flights, which if you read the print before you purchase a ticket, the airline takes no claim or responisibility for and recommends travel insurance. i think alot of people in this country are still so used to the glory days on ansett and qantas with full service and a meal with a real knife and fork (yes it was only 7years ago) and we just arent used to budget air travel yet. you only have to watch the english shows like 'airline' and 'airport' to see that these problems occur with all budget airlines across the world.

one of my favourite tv shows in airplane investigations. i learn so much from that show, amazing how complicated these machines are and how so many lives are reliant on such small pieces of machinery.

worst flying experience, Colombo (Sri Lanka) to Singapore in 1988. taking off on a Air Lanka Tristar, end of the runway, engines whine, rev up, start moving then stop. back to the terminal. 3hours on the plane before we were taken off. then shuffled back on, then off again, and being told after 8hours the engine blew. off to a hotel for the night!
also landing in fog on the 6am tvill-brissy leg. flew around brissy for 40min before the pilot said they are making an attempt or they will have to go to coolangatta. couldnt see a damn thing out of the window when landing until we hit the ground with a massive thump and even then you could only just make out the white lines of the runway. it was my wifes first plane trip!
2019 Yearly total to date - 2049.9mm (1129mm)

#224281 - 27/07/2008 02:06 Re: Aviation, Flying, and your flying / travel experiences & photos / movies...
tornadochaser_76 Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Dark Side of the Moon
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Andrew Miskelly:
[QB] Yeah sorry tornadochaser, was commenting purely on the story itself, not your quote of it.[QB]

No worries mate - just saw it as an opportunity to have a pun.....I agree wholeheartedly - the press make no mention that dropping the plane to 10000 ft makes for easier breathing, and a slightly less warmer atmosphere inside the depressurised cabin.

#224282 - 27/07/2008 02:18 Re: Aviation, Flying, and your flying / travel experiences & photos / movies...
tornadochaser_76 Offline
Weatherzone Addict

I had a whinge about Crapstar previously - not because of the cramped seating layout of the A320 or anything like that - but fair dinkum - asking them for service (i.e. the odd beer every 20 minutes) was like asking them to slash their wrists. Qantas aren't much better. VB staff seem to cartwheel up the aisle if you press the call button - smiles on faces. I also saw one hostie on a flight from Avalon to Brisbane (on Crapstar) slam the toilet door into a baby's face (babe was in a mum's arms) - kid screamed, was PURELY an accident, but the hostie stormed up the aisle like the mum had done something wrong by possibly denting the toilet door with the kid's face - NO APOLOGY.

Anyway - list of AIRPORTS I have arrived / departed to / from....

- Perth
- Pearce RAAF Base
- Fairbairn RAAF Base (aslo CBR Domestic)
- Richmond RAAF Base
- Edinburgh RAAF Base
- Laverton RAAF Base
- Adelaide
- Alice Springs (according to my mother)
- Tullamarine
- Avalon
- Albury
- Wagga Wagga
- Sydney Domestic
- Brisbane
- Maryborough (QLD)
- Rockhampton
- Mackay
- Townsville
- Cairns
- Learmonth

#224283 - 27/07/2008 03:05 Re: Aviation, Flying, and your flying / travel experiences & photos / movies...
tornadochaser_76 Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Some cool vids on YouTube (sorry - 3 posts I know but this stuff is COOL):

C130 Hurricane Hunter "Riders on the Storm":
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IxYfl-inCw8&feature=related

P3 Orion through the Eye of Katrina:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eT5K6FR_eVs&feature=related

St Maarten (Netherlands Antilles)- SXM:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ksmDuXO_k6E&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAPjOSrkC84&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7IRv_YBazpY

Other Cool Stuff:

Birdstrike:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35FVYzf0uiY&feature=related

MD80 Aborted Landing:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBlte12Upyk

Overwater 'Hard' Landing at SFO (FUNNY):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22zzat-_Y3I

Remember - "Shift Happens"...

Low Passover By TAP Portugal A310:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYfhC9ft_hk

Enjoy!

#224284 - 27/07/2008 04:17 Re: Aviation, Flying, and your flying / travel experiences & photos / movies...
Dale Small Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Any yootoob videos of St Maartens landings.. are amazing.
That is one of my goals in life, to go there and be forced into the ocean when they spool up for takeoff laugh

Im a sick puppy, but love my planes wink

#224285 - 27/07/2008 09:56 Re: Aviation, Flying, and your flying / travel experiences & photos / movies...
Dawgggg Offline
Meteorological Motor Mouth

Loc: Townsville
same dale, ive spent hours watchin all those videos, its insane how close some of them get.

I think Jetstar is alright, they serve me alcohol and im a minor laugh

#224286 - 27/07/2008 11:04 Re: Aviation, Flying, and your flying / travel experiences & photos / movies...
Dawgggg Offline
Meteorological Motor Mouth

Loc: Townsville
this is from the latest Qantas drama

But passenger Beverley Doors from Phillip Island says she and her husband were left without access to an oxygen mask for about three minutes as the plane lost altitude.

"When the oxygen [masks] came down, some didn't come down," she said.

"Ours didn't come down, and my husband just about went out to it, because he didn't have any oxygen for about three minutes, that's the way it happened."

#224287 - 27/07/2008 11:25 Re: Aviation, Flying, and your flying / travel experiences & photos / movies...
Mick10 Offline
Weatherzone Moderator

Hey folks, lets keep the Qantas plane drama's in that thread hey.

i love watching the you tube vids of St Maartens, awesome stuff.

#224288 - 27/07/2008 11:46 Re: Aviation, Flying, and your flying / travel experiences & photos / movies...
Dale Small Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Heh I remember of 1 going around where a person lost all bowel control as they were quietly lying on the beach.. then a 747 practically lands on top of them. Thats my kind of airport!

#224289 - 27/07/2008 15:07 Re: Aviation, Flying, and your flying / travel experiences & photos / movies...
Dave (Strike3) Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Woodville South, Adelaide, SA
Not quite a 747 but its a lot more fuel efficient...

A little too much hail around for me today...

Not really the weather I WANT for flying my new machine...

#224290 - 31/07/2008 01:06 Re: Aviation, Flying, and your flying / travel experiences & photos / movies...
Listy Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Lockleys, Adelaide SA
I'm more of a lurker than a regular poster, but I thought I'd chime in with my recent experience aboard the Airbus A380, as no one else seems to have mentioned flying aboard it yet.

My fiance and I had the pleasure of flying onboard the Airbus A380 from Singapore to London in early April, (just a couple of weeks after it began operating on that route with Singapore Airlines). It came as a bit of a surprise, as our itinerary listed us as flying on a 747 (the A380 wasn't even in service when we booked our tickets!)

The A380 we were aboard was 9V-SKA, the very first A380 to enter commercial service. It's quite a special feeling to sit down in your seat and realise that you're onboard what might one day become a piece of aviation history, sitting in a giant museum hangar (perhaps at Changi Airport).

Our trip also involved medium & long haul flights aboard a 777 and 747 (all Singapore Airlines), and from my perspective as self-loading-freight, the A380 beats them both by a mile.

The creature comforts - seating, lighting, bathroom facilities, entertainment etc, are all superior. Our standard economy seats really felt more like a premium economy service.

Obviously, the creature comforts can all (or mostly) be upgraded on existing aircraft but the A380 has two big, (and on a long haul flight), very noticeable advantages over existing aircraft. Its noticeably quieter inside - in fact I couldn't hear the engines at all (except on takeoff), despite sitting right 'behind' them on the lower deck (aircon & ventilation is still audible though). And secondly, the internal air pressure is higher, so you don't disembark from your flight feeling like you've spent the night halfway up Mount Everest (a slight exaggeration smile ). I managed a decent ~4-5 hours of sleep between central Afghanistan and the western edge of the Ukraine, which is the first time I've ever actually slept onboard a plane. The inflight meals were terrific also - whether that was Singapore Air service, or the result of nice new galley facilities, I'm not sure, but it was jolly good stuff! smile

Our landing at Heathrow was delayed by about 20 minutes, which turned out to be real bonus, because we were treated to an absolutely glorious view of London as we did a couple of laps in the crisp clear air of an early spring morning.

Despite being a full flight, it never felt crowded - lots of bathrooms all round, and boarding at Changi was a breeze - took about 20 minutes to get everyone onboard & seated. Disembarking at Heathrow was slow however, as the terminal facilities were being refurbished, and the temporary gantry was broken and had to be wheeled into place manually by a group of very unhappy looking airport staff! :rolleyes: Still, at least we weren't sent to the infamous Terminal 5!

My only two minor 'complaints' are that A) I never got a decent look at the plane (it was nighttime at Singapore, and the gantry blocked the view at Heathrow), and B) the entertainment system lacks a really decent strategy game smile There's no better way to make 12 hours pass by in the blink of an eye than a good game of Civilisation!

This is about the best view I got of the A380, just after disembarking at Heathrow:

I finally got my first decent view of an A380 while I was in Sydney last weekend for work. There was one parked at the airport as our plane landed at about 8am, and then at about lunchtime I was outside chatting to a workmate and suddenly there she was, rising up out of the trees right in front of us smile Not the prettiest aircraft ever built, that's for sure, but still an incredible engineering achievement, and I'm sure they'll be around for some time yet.

cheers,
Mark.

#224291 - 31/07/2008 10:32 Re: Aviation, Flying, and your flying / travel experiences & photos / movies...
Instability Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Live in Burwood: Work in Notti...
Mark,

I am extremely jealous. Can't wait to get on board an A380 for a nice long-haul trip.

Rog.

#224292 - 31/07/2008 19:05 Re: Aviation, Flying, and your flying / travel experiences & photos / movies...
DavidC Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Sydney
Quote:
Originally posted by Listy:
I'm more of a lurker than a regular poster, but I thought I'd chime in with my recent experience aboard the Airbus A380, as no one else seems to have mentioned flying aboard it yet.
Mark.
Nice pic Mark.

I've flown in the A380 a few times and it is quite an experience. If in cattle class, it is best to request upper deck as it is much more cosy - and, of course, is very quiet. In fact economy, upper deck in the A380 with Singapore airlines, 10 inch monitors and all, is as good a ride as business class in UAL without a doubt.

As mentioned above, the A380 is incredibly quiet - I filmed a take-off out of Sydney and it is as quiet as it appears in this clip (**sorry no time to compress atm...this is a large avi file but only low-res camera quality video so don't bother wasting download if it's an issue!)
http://www.thunderbolttours.com/temp/MVI_1459.AVI

Not keen myself on the red eye flights so generally resort to 747-400 from Singapore in to Sydney. First pic is the A380, at Changhi, viewed from 747 -- definitely weird to feel even a tad small in a 747!

The wings are enormous and when the pilot played with the ailerons before takeoff, you knew you were on a state-of-the-art-beast.

A few shots of the stairwell at the back of the A380:

Upper deck - economy:

Lower Deck - economy:

#224293 - 31/07/2008 20:13 Re: Aviation, Flying, and your flying / travel experiences & photos / movies...
Mick10 Offline
Weatherzone Moderator

thanks guys, great reading.
i would dearly love to enjoy the a380. there was a thread created on the a380 and its first trip downunder a few years ago. i went out to tullamarine to see it, was amazed at how the beast dwarfed a 737-800 that went past it.

#224294 - 01/08/2008 22:58 Re: Aviation, Flying, and your flying / travel experiences & photos / movies...
Mick10 Offline
Weatherzone Moderator

nice report in 'The Age' today about the Ansett flight sim training centre in Melbourne
http://www.theage.com.au/news/victoria/take-a-boeing-for-a-joyflight/2008/07/24/1216492633782.html
as part of the the hotel package, you are able to fly a 737 or 767 flight sim for an hour!
i remember seeing a news story on this centre a few years back. its the only remaining entity of Ansett Airlines, and its still making a profit and running successfully.

#224295 - 24/08/2008 04:29 Re: Aviation, Flying, and your flying / travel experiences & photos / movies...
tornadochaser_76 Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Flew to Perth on Tues - flt was HORRIBLE due to turbulence and a godawful little sprog of a kid that wasn't bored, sick, or had sore ears - it was just a little turd. I started hoping the plane would crash just to shut this evil little ill-disciplined s*h*t of a kid up - alas - IT fell asleep 10 mins before landing. I have video proof of how awful this kid was, and how poorly the parents dealt with it. Everything else was reasonable, other than the PIE for breakfast, and the fact I thought we got shot down rather than landed. Flight home was OK on Thurs - just turbulent. A few pix here:

http://tornadochaser76.blogspot.com/

#224296 - 24/08/2008 05:15 Re: Aviation, Flying, and your flying / travel experiences & photos / movies...
Dale Small Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Finally got to see my first A380 up close and personal yesterday whilst dropping mum off at the Airport.. no idea what airline it was.. L.A.T or something from a distance but my god, that plane dwarfed even the domestic arrivals terminal.

Giant of a thing but looks very graceful.

#224297 - 24/08/2008 08:01 Re: Aviation, Flying, and your flying / travel experiences & photos / movies...
jase72 Offline

Loc: Roxburgh Park Victoria. Soon t...
Quote:
Originally posted by tornadochaser_76:
Flew to Perth on Tues - flt was HORRIBLE due to turbulence and a godawful little sprog of a kid that wasn't bored, sick, or had sore ears - it was just a little turd. I started hoping the plane would crash just to shut this evil little ill-disciplined s*h*t of a kid up - alas - IT fell asleep 10 mins before landing. I have video proof of how awful this kid was, and how poorly the parents dealt with it. Everything else was reasonable, other than the PIE for breakfast, and the fact I thought we got shot down rather than landed. Flight home was OK on Thurs - just turbulent. A few pix here:

http://tornadochaser76.blogspot.com/

They serve pies for breakfast?? eek

Page 4 of 59 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 58 59 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 38 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Today's Birthdays
chejian, Dusty Dervish, pogonantha, scott12
Forum Stats
29947 Members
32 Forums
24194 Topics
1529247 Posts

Max Online: 2985 @ 26/01/2019 12:05
Satellite Image