Page 64 of 128 < 1 2 ... 62 63 64 65 66 ... 127 128 >
Topic Options
#1250843 - 24/03/2014 17:40 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Fyne]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Wantirna, Vic
Hi Fyweather.

Thanks and I'd love to do more very thorough posts, but I usually have a lot of distractions which absorbs much of my attention wink
Mother Earth never ceases to interest and fascinate me too.

The energy on the eastern side of the Pacific around the west coast of the U.S., Central America (partially) and South America has been very jittery lately.
The popping up of many small, medium and the larger tremors have been evident (in my mind) of a period of quite unstable plate movements in this general region/s. This behaviour seemed quite erratic and 'unpredictable', but I felt it was going to be a time in the last few days where this EQ behaviour was a bit of a worry for the west coasts.
Some of the EQ's which were coming up in 'unusual' places confirmed my suspicions about how unstable the eastern Pacific (in these regions) side had become for that time being.
There seemed to a 'driving' force (affecting the plates - causing the EQ's) which was not confined to one particular region and seemed to have several focal points (or a larger area showing instability - energy splintering out) or larger areas being irritated than just a couple.

As for the Canadian west coast, I personally felt that during this period, the energy (source) causing the tremors/EQ's affecting those regions I mentioned above (including the Caribbean, Oklahoma, Yellowstone and just inland U.S.) didn't have enough of an impact or 'drive' to really agitate the Canadian west coast to a degree that may cause larger quakes too. This lack of energy also petered out so as to not cause larger tremors for Alaska in the same time frame.
I feel it may be a matter of time (when I'm not sure yet) that the Canadian west coastal region may come up with an M4 as the Cascadia Fault region may relent with some of the movements occurring in the Pacific west and east recently.

Other major focal points of the substantial agitation in the Pacific have been Japan and around Indonesia and out to Fiji.

Even considering what I have said above I did have some feelings (and some slight concerns) that we may have seen a larger quake for the west coast of the U.S. (some of their quakes were out of the 'ordinary' and when you get 'out of the ordinary' my attention/feeling tends to suspect the possibility of this maybe hinting a problem one to come) and Japan. Luckily that has not occurred.

A moderate quake did come up north of Canada/Alaska, at sea. Recently another occurred in Baffin Bay NE of Canada. So there is a hint of some energy occurring below the northern polar regions.

For now, Duck.

#1251261 - 26/03/2014 10:14 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi folks.

The west coast of Canada (off shore) did come up with the M4 I was anticipating it may. The 'energy' in the upper east Pacific has also travelled into the Aleutian Islands (M5). Included in this grouping is inland Alaska with their M3.7 (half an hour ago).

The United States has re-activated by degrees with further tremors in Oklahoma, California, NE border with Canada, Idaho not far from Yellowstone). Washington and Oregon have are also still occasionally feeling small movements.
I get a bit of a feeling that Yellowstone (very general region) may be offering some of the energy from it's activity out to the west of it, and perhaps mildly splaying out to other nearby regions, maybe causing some smaller movements on it's periphery. I could be wrong with this observation - it's just a feeling.
In the general mix of tremors for the west of the U.S. I feel also that the San Andreas and its' sister faults (or the San Andreas generally, may be niggling sister faults) along with maybe some energy from the general Yellowstone region may be contributing to several movements occurring on the western side of the U.S..
The New Madrid (and just maybe some sort of energy coming up from the Gulf of Mexico) may be contributing to tremors occurring in the south central states of the U.S..

Just regarding that awful land/mud slide in the Washington state region of Oso, here is an article which illustrates the terrible nature of this disaster and the poor folks who are suffering because of it. My thoughts and prayers to the good folks there.
From the Daily Mail - UK.

The Indian Ocean M5 may spur on a small movement on the west coast of Oz, but it may just have been far enough away to perhaps not influence a potential movement for the west coast - maybe around Albany, Perth, or up to Exmouth.
I get a mild feeling that in the seas north of Antarctica, maybe below Australia, New Zealand and/or Sth. America/Africa, there may be movements soon - maybe in the M5 range.

May be back later.
For now, Duck.

#1251384 - 26/03/2014 16:03 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

(2nd post for today)

Hi again.

In my last post approx 6 hours ago, I mentioned my feelings that a tremor/EQ may come up in relation to the West Australian coast.
An M 2.8 has just gone up on the Geoscience website for this tremor which occurred at 04.57 Sydney time today.
For Oz tremors, I rely on Geoscience to formally note the quakes on their site so I can confirm my feelings of where I think the 'energy' is lurking to potentially produce EQ's for us in Oz. So their noting the WA tremor (SE of Albany) confirms one of the locations I mentioned may be a possible chance for a tremor, without - at the time of typing the last post, knowing one had actually occurred.

Fiji/Tonga region has had a deep M6.5'ish and is feeling aftershocks. This tells me that this general location of the Pacific Plate is a bit angry again. (Water changes, currents and behaviours may be evident as altered/stronger currents and maybe small in nature)
There may be more M5's to come to the NW/W and NNW of this region. This quake, if it was shallower (which would have been a problem) may have spawned a water/sea behaviour disturbance (not disaster scenario) for the east coast of Australia - maybe in the form of delayed current changes and a small tidal effect (I could be wrong).

The north of New Zealand (north of the North Island) may come up with a movement in the M4(+?) region - maybe the Kermadec's and White Island perhaps.

PNG may also come up with a movement.

There is more I'd like to jot here, but I'll have more time later.

Cheers, Duck.

#1251394 - 26/03/2014 16:27 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
perrywinkle Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Warrawee Valley
I felt something this afternoon shortly after the time of the Fiji quake (sorry I wasn't wearing a watch). I was on my knees grouting between pavers, and felt a very gentle rocking - dismissed it as the result of too much hard work and not enough food, but now I suspect it wasn't. Weird thing is that the rocking was roughly aligned NE - SW (in Sydney).

Also how does an earthquake happen at 450KM? I thought that was molten mantle...

Edit: Though now I look at a map I see why NE-SW.

Edited by perrywinkle (26/03/2014 16:34)
Edit Reason: update

#1251683 - 27/03/2014 11:00 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi folks and perrywinkle.

Below, I've added a couple of pics which show the depths of the earth (layers) and a pic of the plates and trenches involving Australia, Fiji etc..

Image courtesy of http://fijiislandsgeography.blogspot.com.au/

In this image you can see the plates and trenches.
That larger Fiji region quake yesterday was associated with the eastern side of the Australian Plate, with the Fiji Plate to the NW of the quake location. (The quakes occurred below the word "Tonga" in this image).
The depth and location of the quake/s on the eastern Oz plate would have caused reverberations back across to the Oz mainland, by varying degrees.

Image courtesy of Encyclopaedia Brittanica

The Fiji region quakes occurred near the lower mantle and another (others) near the halfway mark of the upper mantle.
Now, if I have the 'science' correct on this one, the deeper quake occurred in a stronger/more solid section of the mantle, which sent 'energy' to the shallower middle upper mantle, causing the shallower follow on quakes.
That section involving the Australian Plate - west of the Kermadec and Tonga Trench has been very active. Notice how the Kermadec Trench meets (not illustrated on the first pic) the major fault which runs from the north of New Zealand, all the way down and through both NZ islands.

As far as what you felt perrywinkle, as you were working away on the pavers/grouting, may have been a reverberation from the Fiji region movements. But, having said that, NSW has been experiencing small tremors this week and though other tremors may not be being formally recorded, there is every chance you may have also felt a small after (or before) movement from tremors yesterday. Have a look at this link - Geoscience - tremors to see if the time you felt the ground move corresponds with the rough time of these and the Fiji region quakes.

Canada west coast has activated as I suspected it would.
Yellowstone revved up again (M3 and many other minor harmonic tremors).

The west of the ROF is still angry and setting off quakes in the 'triangle' region I gabble on about.

Hawaii is being 'tweeked' occasionally by it's own volcanic activity and , I feel, by the pressures thumping around on the east and west of the ROF.

The west coast of the U.S. may come up with several M2's, M3's and maybe another M4(+ or ++?).
Near the Gulf of Alaska may show a movement too....

Anyway folks, I may be back later (I said that yesterday and didn't have a chance to do so frown )

Cheers, Duck.

Edited by duckweather (27/03/2014 11:01)
Edit Reason: spelling

#1251875 - 27/03/2014 23:40 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi folks.

Generally speaking I am not very 'focused' at all tonight. Probably got a bit of brain strain due to too much concentration on work 'stuff' tonight.

But to leave off for tonight, there seems to be a bit of energy/movement travelling NW from the Fiji region. This may also translate (this being a very unscientific thought) to some 'energy' going off north again up the west side of the ROF, perhaps through to near Japan.

I thought after my last posts that that region of Crete (or nearby) may experience an M4 (+?), but I'm too late to mention it now, as this has occurred.

My 'minds eye' keeps getting drawn to the west coast of the U.S. - towards Baja and again near Eureka....?

Two other 'things' which are sticking with me tonight are the word 'water' (water fall/ing or washing in or on) and the number '4' (also the 4th of April is stuck in my foggy head tonight). May mean absolutely nothing....zilch...zippo.

I do get a small feeling that there is a wee calm before a substantial movement...but this too is just an obscure feeling...and maybe I should just go to bed and gabble on no more smile

Chile is continually feeling rattles at the moment. I feel they may go on to experience another M5'ish...could be wrong.

I meant to mention in a previous post, that before the large quake near Fiji yesterday, my ears were ringing like bells and I had a feeling of an impending larger movement (of the EQ kind)...it was almost like an electric (slightly irritating) feeling in the 'air'.

Anyway, I'll jot a more intelligent post tomorrow (hopefully smile )
Cheers, Duck.

#1252115 - 28/03/2014 21:37 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi folks.

I haven't had much time to keep up with tremors and quakes today.

In my previous post, I mentioned that I felt there may be a substantial quake in a region. I was drawn to potential regions being the west coast of South America, the Pacific (west) island region and off shore Japan. Normally I wouldn't mention 'specific' regions, as I feel I would be being irresponsible if I was wrong and unnecessarily disturbed some folks.

As it has turned out so far, the west coast of South America had endured a doublet set of M5's. Maybe that was what was irking at me when I mentioned a substantial movement/s.
These, in my mind, were rather curious as they happened almost simultaneously in the same location in Argentina. (the latter [by minutes] may have been an aftershock - but it was rather close to the main quake).
Not far north of Argentina, near Antofagasta/Chile, there was clustering of tremors/quakes of a slightly smaller size. A couple have popped up south of Argentina too.
This cluster of movements today was/is quite an agitation in this region. Sometimes when I see these behaviours, I can feel that there may be a moderate (++) to follow or in the mix.

I am still being drawn to Japan. They have had an M3+ off the coast near (SE) of Morioka and an M4+ east of Sendai (15 hours ago).
The EQ sensors over the whole of Japan are still showing scattered and some simultaneous registers of 'agitations' by small degrees on a fairly regular basis (in the times I have checked them today). I feel we may see more movements (probably not unexpected by many) for the eastern coastal regions of Japan and maybe an outside chance of a movement north or NW or south of the islands (as a whole) of Japan.

The U.S. west coastal regions are still jittering with sporadic small tremors and M2+'s. I still feel there may be an outside chance of an M3+ (+?) almost anywhere along the coast, but maybe more specifically near Eureka, L.A. or near San Diego.
The Salton Sea has been experiencing a cluster of small tremors, just north of Brawley, at the southern end of the sea's coast there. Between Riverside and Brawley (to the SE of Riverside) may go on to be susceptible to a few more probably small tremors.

The Mediterranean has felt tremors/EQ's dotting here and there throughout. I get a small feeling that somewhere between the northern reaches of Italy and Greece there may me an M3+(+) come up at some point.

In the 'space' between the Caspian Sea and the western borders of China and India, there may be a movement/s, maybe M3+(?).

As I always say folks, don't take my posts as predictions - they are just feelings - I could be wrong.

I get a feeling that NSW may come up with an M3.
WA yet another small tremor....
Vic may have a small movement, but may only feel any movements (faintly) coming from NSW or SA or larger quakes to the east of the Oz plate or north of Oz (PNG, Indonesia etc.).

I may expand on this post later or tomorrow...

For now, Duck.

#1252168 - 29/03/2014 10:55 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi folks.

A friend rang me last night and asked me if the tragic Oso Washington mud/landslide had anything to do with tremor activity in the western regions of the U.S. states.
Well as you all know, I am no scientist and feel I am not in a position to speculate with any accuracy as to what geological (or other) behaviours preceded this awful event. (But, a small part of me feels that the tremor/EQ/other activity in the general NW regions of the U.S. may contribute to some landslip issues at times, in conjunction with other factors ). This is also out of respect and consideration for the folks who have endured and lost friends and family in Oso.
So, I searched several sites for some information which may explain what could have happened there.
Here are some links to articles, in which the first link describes how the two land/mud slips registered on seismographs.
Seismo registers 2 landslides in Oso - King5.com
5 Reasons Why West Coast Is More Vulnerable to Mudslides - Live Science
Landslide in Washington State - USGS report
Peace to the folks of Oso.

One region which has come up with an EQ since my last post, and one which I was going to mention (being the region of near Gibraltar and back out west into the Atlantic) is the Northern Mid Atlantic Ridge. There may be another tremor back towards Potrugal/Spain/northern Morocco/Gibraltar. There may be a chance of a tremor towards the Funchal Islands/Ponta Delgado islands...but not sure. The Canary islands may show some movement in the near future...?

In my last post, I mentioned the region between western China/India border - back through to the Caspian Sea as a potential region for an EQ.....an M5 came up (on the EQ maps) in Hindu Kush, Afghanistan after I posted the post.
A couple of locations I suspected may, came up with tremors in the Mediterranean.

A few other locations I mentioned have come up with tremors too.
The eastern coast/land regions of Canada and the U.S. may feel the odd tremor (two have occurred near the border of these two countries). The waterway, which travels NE from Quebec may feel a tremor in the near future.....just a small feeling.

An M3 has just come up near Eureka, off shore. This and the other regions of the western U.S. are still in my feelings 'radar' as potential for more jittering movements, with a potential M3+(+?). Again, I feel that some of the energy from the U.S. west coastal tremors/EQ's may 'travel' into the offshore region of western Canada and maybe up to Alaska.
Oklahoma is still rumbling away.

Anyway, for now, Duck.

#1252222 - 29/03/2014 16:13 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

(2nd post for today)

Hi folks.

Just as I felt may occur (2nd last post), Los Angeles has had an M5+, with many aftershocks.
See The earthquake Report's updating info on L.A.

Japan has also been unsettled and may go on to feel another M3+(+?).

Near the western border of China (Kyrgyzstan) has had an M4.

Romania, Nicaragua and Northern Columbia have all had M4+'s.

Energy from Oklahoma has radiated to the east into Missouri, causing an M2.5.

Near Santiago and Arica, Chile, have had tremors. There may be an M3+(++?) to occur along the coast of South America at some point.

Some seismo's in South Australia have been showing some small spikes - which may mean they (near Mount Rat and Hamley Bridge - actual location, I'm not sure) could have experienced an M2+....?

For now, Duck.

Edited by duckweather (29/03/2014 16:14)

#1252282 - 30/03/2014 09:03 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Good morning folks.

I have been 'watching' the Los Angeles quake behaviour, and had a very strong feeling that there was going to be another moderate quake there. An M4.5 has just occurred.
The reason I felt there was going to be another one, was that there were so many aftershocks (I personally feel 'aftershocks' are 'continuing movement') in the smaller range, that this location was moving too much for there not to be another (again, what I term) a build up to a 'catch-and-release' movement.
If you are curious about a live seimograph in the region - see the ABC7 live seismograph here

China's Hubei Province has experienced an M5 quake at shallow depth. This quake is located near the Three Gorges Dam area apparently. The Dam is "the world's largest [hydroelectric] power station in terms of installed capacity...and spans the Yangtze River in the Hubei Province." - Wikipedia

Gibraltar, north of Japan, Mount St. Helens/Washington, Balleny Islands (south of New Zealand/Australia - above Antarctica) are a few of some of the locations I have also been mentioning here and there for movements. Other locations have also niggled a little in the last 12 hours.

Chile is still one region which I feel may go on to feel an M5 (+?).

Crete may come up with another M3+, as may a couple of other spots in the Mediterranean.

For now, Duck.

Edited by duckweather (30/03/2014 09:05)

#1252390 - 30/03/2014 21:46 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi again folks. (2nd post for today).

The United States is as unsettled (and has been) as I had a sneaking suspicion it may become in current days. I had a feeling some time ago that there would be more than one region affected by the movements associated with plate edges, faults and even some possible stealthy volcanic activity.

The west coast, Yellowstone, Washington, near Eureka, Los Angeles and the regions surrounding, and including Oklahoma, have all had notable events, ranging from tremors to larger quakes and that awful mudslide.

The movement in a triangle from north/west coast to south/west coast to Oklahoma has been so regular in the last days that it leaves me wondering if the major faults of the San Andreas, New Madrid and the associated or nearby faults are being agitated by a related energy.

Yellowstone is on the 'northern' edge of all of this activity and may just be doing it's 'own thing' in regards to related tremors/behaviours.

The folks along the west coast, where the quakes and tremors are occurring, must be feeling edgy with the seemingly constant rattles there. Not surprisingly some folks there have described feeling somewhat nauseous and a bit dizzy as a result of the movements felt.

The Red Cross in the United States has even posted an article online to discuss the need for an awareness of self care and actions should a major quake occur.
The 'survival' stores custom has also increased as some people are preparing their strategies, just in case a larger quake occurs.
Let's hope that their preparations, though their sentiments are very understandable, are not required as we hope that 'big one' does not occur.

All of this focused agitation in the States may settle, but no one can say for certain if all of these movements may go on to produce a larger quake or whether all of the jitters there may be running out of steam and stabilize again.

I had a feeling, as I have gabbled on about in previous posts, that the movements in and around Oklahoma would, unfortunately, increase marginally in size here and there.

Yellowstone may go on to produce another M3(+?).
Oklahoma may as well.
The western U.S. may also.

For now, Duck.

#1252475 - 31/03/2014 12:55 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi folks.

Well good old Yellowstone has flexed its muscles. I had a feeling it was brewing for an M3(+?) and ended up gurgling an M5 for the poor buffalo and other fauna folks to deal with.
But on a more serious note, Yellowstone has been showing signs of what I have labelled 'stealthy' movement and agitation.
I believe a tremor in Yellowstone triggered the M3+ just west of its own M's in Idaho almost directly afterwards.
In my mind, the Idaho quake is possibly evidence of the energy (which I have spoken about before - as splintering out energy) being thrown out in varying directions by Yellowstone on the odd occasion.

I wonder if some of the energies from Yellowstone, as well as other plate/fault jitters elsewhere, has had anything to do with tremors in Washington and creeping up and into SW Canada.

The U.S. regions experiencing all the tremors/quakes atm., may go on to experience some more movements in the M2, M3 and maybe even another M5 in a couple of places. I actually don't feel that these regions will 'settle' for some time.

New Zealand has come up with the M5 I was anticipating for the North Island. There have been many other tremors involving NZ and it's nearby islands too.
There may be follow on movements near Fiji, Tonga, Solomons and maybe PNG. Maybe not all of these locations, but perhaps a couple.
The energy in NZ may also travel south down their main plate/fault. Christchurch had an M4 recently.

Chile has also experienced more tremors/quakes as I felt it would in the last 12 hours.

For now, Duck (got to continue with my work now smile ).

#1252545 - 31/03/2014 20:49 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi folks.

Not EQ related - was just standing on the decking 'talking' to the dogs (as Duck does smile ) and was admiring the orange glow of what I think is a planet (Venus or ??) when the glow just disappeared. It faded out slowly. There is no cloud in that direction that I can make out (even with the telescope) and the star that has been near it is still as bright as usual. Does anyone have any ideas or was I just needing my usual coffee rev up?

Anyway, for the time being (as I type this post) the EQ front is moderately calm, except for a few smaller tremors in the U.S. and elsewhere.
In the short term, NZ seems to be the most active and a few other places are feeling the odd tremor here and there - see the Global Incident Map for current tremors.

Australia - NSW, WA and SA have had a couple of tremors today. We may be in a new 'cycle' of tremors in the short term.

Anyway, I am going back outside to see if I was seeing things re: that orange glow disappearing - looking due east from here, above the horizon.

For now, Duck.

Post note - the 'power is back on' on the orange planet. Maybe I need to guzzle the contents of the coffee jar and clean the lense on the telescope blush

Edited by duckweather (31/03/2014 20:54)
Edit Reason: bit extra

#1252579 - 01/04/2014 07:14 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
perrywinkle Offline
Weather Freak

NSW tremors seem part of a steady pattern over past couple of years. What is odd is the missing link through Canberrra and just north of the ACT, where significant tremors have happened in the past.

At the northern end of the recent NSW tremors is the Hunter Valley and Newcastle, where there was a spell of quakes/tremors in the 1990s. There have been a couple of tremors off shore around Taree and Foster in the past few years, but the Valley seems to have been relatively quiet.

It seems NSW is going through a steady period of adjustment, with many small tremors, which started a last year in the Snowys, and the Blue Mountains/Picton area, and are now are presenting in between, around the southern tablelands. This is good so far as humans are concerned!

All these areas are known for previous tremors or quakes, so it seems to be business as usual.

#1252580 - 01/04/2014 07:18 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
perrywinkle Offline
Weather Freak

Orange planet - possibly line of sight was moving through an inversion or layer of cooler air. The boundaries act like a lens to bend the light.

In central Australia we watched a truck coming at our campsite for more than an hour - the lights showed before it was over the horizon, due to a layer of frosty still air. Very unsettling!

#1252616 - 01/04/2014 11:35 Re: Earthquakes [Re: perrywinkle]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi folks and perrywinkle.

Thanks for the possible explanation for the 'orange planet' disappearing then reappearing...I thought I was going silly.
When I saw it fading out, I went cold (silly me). I thought there must have been a good explanation for what I saw though.
On a side note, one night my son and I were enjoying a lovely time watching the moon through the telescope, when the mood went from joy to barking a couple of swear words and hair standing on end. As we were looking through the lenses, (what appeared to be) a massive set of 8 legs began crawling over the whole moon. On checking the other end of the telescope, we found a spider settling in for the night, covering the whole lense. Needless to say, that was the end of the 'moon-study' session.

Anyway, on the EQ front, NSW seems to have a particular 'arc' region of activity. See Geoscience here for the last 30 days of tremors .
To be honest with you, I can't remember the lay of the land in this large region where NSW tremors are occurring. Being an old geography 'nut' I should know blush
I get a feeling, off hand, that some of the tremors are occurring in low lying lands nearer the coast and the others are occurring in the mountain ranges to the west.
If you were to draw a rough curve (like join the dot), which may end up looking like a rough half circle (or elongated elipse) over the inland tremors, then continue the elipse in equal size and sloping SE (other half) out over the sea (including the tremor east of Eden/offshore).....this may give one an idea of where some of the energy may be coming from. If you keep following that SSE direction of the 'arc', you would reach NZ. I feel there may be a connection of sorts coming over the Tasman Sea from NZ.
I know that sounds a bit of a hair-brained idea, but that is how my mind's eye sees it wink

South Australia's tremors are also along a stretched 'arc', as I have illustrated in pics here before, running up from the southern coast and inland.

You could almost draw a large rough circle around the places of the quakes/tremors in Western Australia too, to see how or where the SW of WA (even offshore) may be vulnerable to tremors in this region.

Obviously there are other locations in Australia which pop up with quakes and tremors too occasionally.
Victoria, for example, I feel gets much of its EQ/tremor energy coming up from Bass Strait, below Tassie and the SW and SE seas near Vic.

I could add alot more of my gabbling's on here about the Oz regions, but this post may become too long.

Since my last post, and as I suspected, the EQ activity has picked up again after an almost lull.

We may see some M5's come up in some recently active regions and another 'unusual' region (like the Yellow Sea/Korea today) come up with an EQ between M3 and M5.

Well, I'll leave it here for the moment and may catch up with y'all later.

Cheers, Duck.

Edited by duckweather (01/04/2014 11:38)

#1252679 - 01/04/2014 17:49 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
Eevo Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Bridgewater
looking at the map, had a 1.9 3km from my house back on the 19th.
unfortunately i didnt feel a thing.

#1252748 - 02/04/2014 00:05 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Eevo]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi Eevo.

These smaller tremors are strange little things.
Sometimes, if you are sitting extremely still and are not distracted by anything, you can just make out these tremors.
If you are busy, for example driving etc.. you may not even notice them. Sometimes you can hear them faintly and may notice the slightest of movements, but are not sure if the sound and movement may be caused by something else.

Some smaller tremors can also feel quite noticeable. We have had the odd small tremor which has been unnoticeable if you were actively doing something and other relatively small tremors which can be felt by many people.
The relatively smallish tremor we had very near here recently was noticed and felt by so many people around here, and even at a distance, it surprised some to see that it wasn't graded as a larger tremor. It had a very distinctive movement and sound and I felt it was a fault fracture emanating from possibly more solid ground rather than a softer ground. Like when you crack a hard biscuit in half - the sound is more distinctive and the reaction 'sharper' than breaking/fracturing a soft one. (I know that sounds a bit strange, but daffy Duck does come out with some strange analogies sometimes to describe 'things' as she sees them smile )

Sometimes it is the nature of the movement and the geology (rock or soft earth or whatever combination) of the location that determines how and if it is felt and heard distinctively, subtly or not at all.

There are more movements than those formally recorded. Sometimes they may be deemed as insignificant, not detectable (as in location or actually clearly a movement) or so stealthily small that they may not register at all. Some may even get mixed with the 'noise' and movements from other natural and man-made happenings.

Some noises and movements may actually not be tremors, but still register as jitters on seismo's.

Anyway, I'll be back tomorrow with another post. It's been a long hot, busy day and Duck needs some zzzz's.

Cheers for now,
Duck sleep

#1252795 - 02/04/2014 11:20 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
Ken Kato Offline
Weatherzone Addict

There's just been a major quake with epicentre off Chile at 9:46am AEST. The USGS detected the preliminary magnitude as 8.0 with depth of 10km but these may be revised up or down.

At time of writing, the Joint Australian Tsunami Warning Centre has issued a *NO THREAT* tsunami bulletin for Australia.

Some automated outputs from the Joint Research Centre's experimental tsunami amplitude model and the USGS shake map:

#1252798 - 02/04/2014 11:57 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Ken Kato]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi folks.

Thanks so much Ken for putting up that info on Chile.
I have only just discovered the occurrence of this large quake - as I was working.

On the 30th of March in a post, I mentioned "Chile is still one region which I feel may go on to feel an M5 (+?).

I had a horrible feeling that this region near Tarapaca was going to produce a large quake.
When I mention "M5 (+?)", I mean a quake that is larger than M5, being an M7. The "+?" = possibly 2 magnitudes larger than the M5.

This quake has triggered a tsunami of 1.7 to 1,9 meters in height and the locals are being evacuated.
And the buoys in the Caribbean have also registered a sea disturbance.
This quake really rattled the middle west coast of South America - all the way (by degrees) through the northern half of South America.

As far as how this quake has impacted lives and property in Chile and surrounds, I am not sure at this stage.
Let's hope for the best for the folks there.

There may be aftershocks (ongoing movement) near Chile and I feel there may be another potential larger quake (maybe not an M8) in the Pacific...I hope I am wrong.

I'll be back later.

Duck.

**** Live Chile TV here

Edited by duckweather (02/04/2014 12:04)

Page 64 of 128 < 1 2 ... 62 63 64 65 66 ... 127 128 >

Who's Online
10 registered (EddyG, slipperyfish, Kino, Wet Snow, Pete R, Ronfishes, Ollieo, ozthunder, Steve777, 1 invisible), 280 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Today's Birthdays
colorado, Effrem, whitsunday
Forum Stats
29343 Members
32 Forums
23662 Topics
1458845 Posts

Max Online: 2925 @ 02/02/2011 22:23
Satellite Image