Page 66 of 134 < 1 2 ... 64 65 66 67 68 ... 133 134 >
Topic Options
#1253804 - 07/04/2014 20:58 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
perrywinkle Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Warrawee Valley
Yes, the satellite images in google maps are very high resolution. It is very difficult to scale in this application. Some of the northern group of images have a scatter of regular sized rectangular white objects (as distinct from white horses). These are significantly smaller than the waves, and for some funny reason they remind me of the white foam boxes you see in fish shops. Hopefully they are part of the plane, and not something overboard from a fishing boat. Does anyone know if the plane had cargo?

#1253813 - 07/04/2014 21:34 Re: Earthquakes [Re: perrywinkle]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Wantirna, Vic
Hi perrywinkle,

I reckon those blocks/squares/shapes of pics overlaying the rest of the field of 'view', could actually be sat pics of clouds, placed like 'sticky-papers' over the particular spots in the Indian Ocean.....?
I find it quite strange that this has been done, as the actual 'vision' of the oceans on these maps/displays aren't actual real time images. Even though what you see in the oceans as images display the ocean trenches etc., which appears to be more of a representation of the ocean floor than 'real' images....what do you think?
Even still, it is a horrible reminder of the missing plane.

Regarding EQ activity, the United States has experienced some intermittent rattles again after a small lull of sorts.
Oklahoma (and today Tennessee), the west coast and Central and South America have gone 'off' by degrees almost in unison again.
Canada, off shore and coastal region has received follow on energy from the south (in my mind) to produce some tremors and an M4+. Oregon and Washington, being fairly close together have had some tremors. For some obscure reason - "Seattle" is sticking with me, but only mildly for a tremor.
I also keep getting drawn slightly to the eastern side of the U.S. - past Tennessee (tremor today).
West of Eureka (west coast United States) is still a sticking 'spot' for me (feelings).

Hawaii is having small sporadic tremors, sometimes not long after the west coast of the U.S. experiences moderate tremors. If (and this is in my mind only) Chile experiences larger tremors/EQ's, Hawaii seems to possibly follow on with a small tremor as well - but my observation may be wrong here. I'll watch this when I can to see if I am incorrect with this.

There appears to be some determined energy traveling up and into the NW of the Pacific (i.e around and under the Kurils, Japan and perhaps down towards Taiwan/lower Japan.

The Canary Islands has come up with a tremor. This location has also been in the 'corner of my eye' for some time. Between there and Portugal, and back into the Strait of Gibraltar, seems to be a spot where some energy may come up.

There, to me, is still a bit of a strange calm 'in the air', which I felt before our tremors and it is persisting. (maybe I am just overtired...:)

For the moment, Duck.

#1253938 - 08/04/2014 10:59 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
perrywinkle Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Warrawee Valley
Yes, the images contain clouds, you can distinguish them, because they cast shadows, and are fluffy. If you zoom in, you can see swell (lines like mounds with a shadow side), then waves (curves like leaves, often with white crests, all aligned pretty much the same way, but not necessarily with the swell). In one of the northern images, when zoomed in, there are definite white, highly reflective objects, one which is glinting at the camera, and others just floating on the surface. Who knows what they are, or how well the images are keyed to the base, or what date they were - though I expect they are 'released' and Google mapped to help search teams. I used to do Air Photo / satellite image Interpretation as part of my job. The resolution on these images is mind blowing compared to the 1990s.

Anyway, enough of that, it is not earthquakes!

#1254044 - 08/04/2014 14:46 Re: Earthquakes [Re: perrywinkle]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi perrywinkle.
It is very curious. What you have said is very interesting.

As I felt may occur, some energy snuck into and around the Gibraltar region, from the Atlantic (M5) and seemed to me to sweep up into France. France was on my mind when I wrote my last post as possibly being involved in this movement set, but didn't mention it.
I was thinking of France and that if they had a tremor, and any surrounding snow region, that some potential for avalanches may be there. Apparently the French quake happened under a mountain range and I reckon had/has the potential to influence a possible landslip in a nearby region....

Hawaii felt a tremor (or two) since my last post. It/they seemed to correspond with the cluster of movements on the west coast of America.

Yellowstone is still unsettled and I feel is sending 'energy' west through to Washington and Oregon.

The top of the Australian Plate, above Oz and under Indonesia, is causing EQ's for Indonesia and maybe PNG.

A few posts ago, I mentioned my suspicion for some of the energy involving Japan, as moving over to the western side of Japan, which has occurred to the west of Honshu (west coast).

Chile is still unsettled and some of the energy producing quakes has travelled a little south down to Bio Bio Chile, as I felt it may (in a previous post).

Canada is, I feel, still being influenced - on the west coast/off shore - by the energy rumbling around in southern and northern California, and maybe slightly from Washington and Oregon.

Oz will keep feeling tremors in NSW, WA, SA and maybe another in Victoria. I think the two tremors for Vic. have headed for or are associated with (or near) the Selwyn Fault coming in off Bass Strait. There may even be an 'obscure' location in Oz which comes up with a tremor.

Azerbaijan and/or near the Caspian Sea may come up with an M4 (+ poss.). Another location with an 'exotic' name may come up with a tremor (++) too - something like the name "Kashmir".

For the moment, Duck.

Edited by duckweather (08/04/2014 14:49)
Edit Reason: bit extra

#1255333 - 10/04/2014 12:51 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi folks.

We've been a little distracted here, as we watch the track of the cyclone in/near Qld. We have family who have just moved to Port Douglas. and other family in other areas of Qld..

In the meantime and in regard to EQ activity, there are buoys showing 'event mode' off the southern end of the South Island of New Zealand. There was a 'shallow' quake in the Pacific-Antarctic Ridge 5 hours ago and the buoys (near NZ lower west) are showing a 20cm (?) 'drop' (a moderately rapid 'drop' in the 'normal' cycling of readings) since.
NDBC

There are buoys in event mode in the Gulf of Alaska, but the 'dip' there seems less in size.

Many of the regions I felt were going to possibly come up with quakes/tremors have experienced movements since my last post.

The 'lake in Russia' I mentioned some time ago has come up with an M4.2 in Lake Baykal. I didn't name the lake in my post.

The SW region of the vast Yellowstone site (namely in Idaho at.) has been producing small tremors, as well as Yellowstone itself playing up a bit.

Again, Oklahoma is a problem for the folks there. Their tremors are seemingly relentless. The number of M3's occurring around that region is quite numerous now, and leads me to feel they may at some point in the near future experience an M4+. It just feels like (to me) that 'something' is going to 'give' - unfortunately.

It also feels like the regions incorporating Central America and the Caribbean nations maybe bottling up in spots with some energy.

Here are some of those weird silly thoughts, sayings or words I sometimes get (things that flit through my daffy Duck mind).
- a natural event may reveal a previously unknown situation/thing (this could also or be something the 'public' haven't been made aware of).
- Something may come to light which will have many questioning what they thought was the 'truth'.
- Movement in a fault line may occur as 'the last straw' as the result of man's activity in a location.
- two locations experiencing tremor activity and/or underground/sinking issues may become one connected concern by degrees.
crazy

For now, Duck.

#1257148 - 11/04/2014 17:58 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi folks.

As you may be aware of now, there has been an M7.3 (moderately shallow at about 50 kms deep) between PNG and Solomons. There is currently no tsunami warning, but I feel there will be water 'disturbances', perhaps in stronger/erratic currents, wave behaviour changes and a possible chance of small sea level changes.
There will be more info as time passes.
The quake was pinned as being on the northern side (north) of the Australian Plate, under the Pacific Plate.
There may be other quakes near this region and perhaps to the ESE of the Solomons. Due north of the Solomons, being near the Marianna Islands and surrounds, may also come up with movements. These may not be as big as PNG, but maybe in the ranges up to M5.....?

Near the coast of Nicaragua, came up with an M6 + aftershocks. This is associated with the region (Central America and Caribbean) that I said in a previous post that may be "bottling up with some energy". In my daffy mind, I felt/saw an arrow poking towards this region.

I may pop in later with some more 'thoughts' as I will be less busy.

For now, Duck.

Edited by duckweather (11/04/2014 17:58)

#1257312 - 11/04/2014 19:49 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
Ken Kato Offline
Meteorological Motor Mouth

There's been 4 decent quakes in just the last couple of hours at time of writing in the eastern PNG/Solomon Islands region... magnitudes 5.1, 5.1, 6.5 and 7.1 with depths 50km or shallower. Of course quakes are fairly common for this region but some of them are still of a decent magnitude in that short space of time:

https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2886/13775630683_02537b12a7_b.jpg

#1257644 - 11/04/2014 23:02 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Ken Kato]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi Ken and all.

There have been approx. 9 aftershocks up to the time I am typing this post.
They have all been rather a decent size after the main quake and the follow on M6.8.
The deep quakes, generally speaking, tend to come from the Fiji region (and surrounds) with the surrounding Pacific Islands tending to experience shallower quakes. The complex 'meeting' of plates around the Fiji/Tonga/Samoa region seem to have a very deep meeting point and susceptibility to the stronger movements generated in the Pacific/Australian Plates. As the plates' interactions occur further to the west of the Fiji/Tonga/Samoa general region, the quakes tend to be shallower.

I know of an ex-USGS scientist (retired) who feels that earthquakes can be generated (or at least given further impetus to occur) in susceptible locations by the influence of tidal behaviours (water weight). Given the cyclone (now visiting Queensland) which badly impacted the Solomons and caused the island inundation (storm surge), I wonder if his (ex-USGS scientist and very interesting man - Jim Berkland) perspective on such tidal influences may be relevant to some degree to all the quakes the Solomons (and region)?
Jim knows of my processes of working off intuitive feelings by looking at static maps, earthquake behaviours and other non scientific (basic) methods of sensing stuff (as we have discussed such). He has a wealth of scientific knowledge, of which I only have a trickle. We work on our EQ feelings differently, but have come to some similar pre-emptive feelings about the potential of some locations (him more than me).

Anyway, I feel that the Chile region may come up with another moderate (maybe M4++) quake. There is renewed instability occurring in this general region....will see. I hope for the folks' sake there that I am incorrect here and probably am.

There seems to be a slight increase in the number of inland tremors in the U.S.. What I mean by this is that including Oklahoma, Idaho, Nevada/Utah, Colorado, Tennessee, Yellowstone/Wyoming etc., I see an increase in tremors occurring in a short space of time (over the last 7 days).
The number of tremors round and above the M3 range seems to have increased as well along the west coast of the U.S..
Even a few tremors have popped up in the east of the U.S..

I feel there may be a few more M3+'s, possibly an M4+, to come for the west coast in the next few days. Oklahoma region more than likely may go on to daily experience M2's (+?) and maybe an outside chance of an M4(+?)....will see.

The region near the NE of the U.S., bordering with eastern Canada (maybe into Canada near Rimouski and Quebec - along the waterway) may come up with an M2 or M2+.

PNG or nearby, may feel another M4.
Up the west of the ROF, maybe towards Japan, may go on to feel the odd M4 (M4+?) in a few places.

Remember folks (here is the broken record again wink ), I could be very wrong in what I natter on about - possible tremors to come and even my 'science' on some things may be wrong. Take all with a 'pinch-of-salt'.

There are a few other regions which are in my thoughts/feelings atm. but I'm off to check on my family in Port Douglas.

Stay safe all.

For now, Duck.

#1259057 - 13/04/2014 01:17 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi folks.

First of all, the Nicaraguan quakes have caused 1 fatality and many problems for the folks there. It is being considered that both quakes are separate movements, that one is not an aftershock of the other.
One of the quakes occurred in a volcanic quake region, causing a landslide.
Also Afghanistan has experienced a deadly landslide (causing 4 fatalities) and damaging 100 homes.
For reports on both of these regions see The Earthquake Report's main page

Idaho came up with another tremor, which almost simultaneously coincided with a tremor SW of there on the west coast of the U.S.. Yellowstone also produced a tremor today. I have mentioned a few times my suspicions of 'energies' being sent out from the Yellowstone region to the west and the SW (I may be wrong), as well as tremors on the west coastal regions of the U.S. (middle/upper California, Oregon and the Washington/Canada border region) possibly being given an impetus to 'move' from the movements associated with the plates/faults surrounding the San Andreas, Cascadia etc..

The Chile region has activated with small to moderate tremors, as well as the Central America (tending over and into the Caribbean region).

Japan's seismic sensors have been picking up small movements nearly all over (in sporadic moments) the islands of Japan. I feel there may be an M4 or more (M4+) brewing there along the east coasts somewhere.

Alaska has been having small tremors, but may go on to experience an M3+ near the Gulf of Alaska and/or along the Aleutian chain. There may be a possibility of an M4+.

From the Mediterranean, possibly from Greece over to the west of Turkey, a location may come up with an M4+ (the number 4 is standing out to me atm. for several regions across the globe).

I am still 'stuck' on a word similar to the word 'Kashmir'. Several quakes have occurred to the north of Kashmir, though, in and near Afghanistan (western edge of the Himalayas.

Another word which is sticking with me currently is 'red'. 'port', '---son', 'yellow' or 'gold', 'valley' and 'fort' are some others.

Fiji had one of those deep quakes I have been talking about recently, with the nearby island quakes being shallow.

Scotland or nearby, has come to my mind today for maybe a small tremor. This may also, or be associated or in a nearby sea.

White island and the Kermadecs' may come up with some movements (north of NZ). One could be an M4+.

NSW had two tremors in the last 24 hours, quite close in timing. There may be another to come.
I am a little surprised that the NE coast of Queensland (or slightly inland) hasn't come up with an M2 or M3 to date. I have been getting a mild feeling that this may occur (not just because of the cyclone activity). If one does occur, it may come up in an 'obscure' spot....

About half an hour ago, I heard some faint, very deep (sounding far off) booming sounds. They didn't sound like trucks or planes...not sure what it was. At the same time (as I felt before the large Solomon/PNG quakes yesterday) I felt a pressure in my ears. Actually before the Solomon/PNG quakes, I had doozy of a headache and ears ringing like church bells). Yes, I know y'all probably think I am a bit strange smile

Anyway, it is pretty late here and I should really be going to bed. It has been a long day (re: keeping up with the cyclone situation - family in Port Douglas) and other things.

I've missed adding some bits, but....

For now, Duck.

#1259171 - 13/04/2014 06:56 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
Ken Kato Offline

There's just been yet another major shake with epicentre off the Solomon Islands at 6:14am AEST....preliminary magnitude 7.6 with depth of 29 km.

Have posted a tsunami model output in the Tsunami thread.

#1259196 - 13/04/2014 07:24 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
bbowen Offline
Weather Freak

Apparently it may possibly have been felt by people on the nq coast, did anyone notice anything? Have a look here and look at estimated felt area and zoom out.

http://www.ga.gov.au/earthquakes/getQuakeShakeDamage.do?quakeId=3505536

Edited by bbowen (13/04/2014 07:28)

#1259285 - 13/04/2014 08:36 Re: Earthquakes [Re: bbowen]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi folks.

This was a doozy of a quake.
New Zealand Herald has added a map to their story of the Solomons quake/s which shows the possible timing of how water disturbance may occur and when to Australia and other regions in the Pacific-
see here

The Solomons have been copping a battering, with the cyclone and the earthquakes. My thoughts and prayers go to them.

I had an irking feeling that we hadn't seen the last of the bigger quakes in this region. When I had those ear problems and 'heard' 'deep booms' earlier this morning (combined with a strange feeling in the air) I actually felt a little anxious, thinking that we haven't seen the end of the larger movements yet for these islands, most unfortunately.
I hope no more problems have been caused to the folks there, they've had too much to deal with already.

This EQ was in a slightly different region (to the east) to the ESE of the other recent large quakes. It was a section/edge of the NE of the Australian Plate which helped cause this series of quakes. There may be a chance that follow on or passed on energy could keep travelling east along the east of the Solomons. This may (or may not) mean that Vanuatu, Fiji, Tonga, New Caledonia and Samoa may need to be aware that there may be some movements near their locations too. Even maybe down towards New Zealand .......I could be wrong.

There will be, more than likely, water disturbances, stronger and/or some erratic currents near the islands and the coast of NE Australia may see some small jitters in the seaways.

The energy from these quakes may be the impetus needed to influence movements up the western side of the ROF/Pacific Plate, to possibly Indonesia, PNG, Taiwan and Japan.
There may be NE Pacific Plate movements and maybe SE as well, maybe not of the same larger magnitude....will see - could be wrong..

For the moment,
Duck.

Post note: I left out mentioning potential movements for the Philippines in the 'potential watch' regions I mentioned above regarding the countries up the west of the ROF.
As I was typing my post, the Philippines have come up with an M5.

Edited by duckweather (13/04/2014 08:43)

#1259395 - 13/04/2014 10:18 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Just to add on to my last post...

There are quite a few buoys in event mode in the seas around the NW, east, NE and SE of Australia.
The most interesting (in my mind) buoy reading is the one SE of Tuvalu - and about 800kms NE of Fiji.
This buoy is showing 'water column height' variations of approx. 30 meters above (rise on chart) and 30 meters (dip on chart) the normal reading line.
This buoy is approx. 1500kms east of the location of the latest large quake. See here National Data Buoy Centre

An M4.3 has even come up on the Russia/China border (on the western side of the Pacific region - more accurately west of the sea of Japan) after the Solomons quakes today.

There will be more aftershocks (continuing movements) in the Solomon region.

Hawaii may come up with an M3.
Guam and/or a surrounding island may also have some movement...

I am very much drawn to Idaho for an M3+ (+?) or a location nearby.

For now, Duck.

#1259416 - 13/04/2014 10:36 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

4th post for today blush

Gee, no sooner had I mentioned a potential EQ for Idaho and jotted my last post, that Idaho has come up on the Global Incident Map with an M5. If my memory serves me correctly, I don't think this is a well populated area - though some folks are nearby.

Duck.

#1259515 - 13/04/2014 13:17 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Forgive me folks. This is my 5th post for today blush

An interesting quake has happened in the North Pole region, north of Franz Josef Land. M4.6 at 10kms deep (quite shallow).
This is a Russian region and is mainly a glaciated location.
To save me gabbling on about the geography and hydrology of this region, here's a link to Wikipedia which has a good description of this location - Franz Josef Land

This is one of those types of unusual locations for earthquakes I have been rattling on about in some posts.

The U.S. states of Idaho, Tennessee, Oklahoma and California have been/become quite active.
Yellowstone may come up with a tremor. The Idaho quake was to the general west region of Yellowstone. It may be that Washington State and Oregon (and possibly near the border with Canada west) may come up with some movements too.....

For now,
Duck.

#1259778 - 13/04/2014 23:03 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi again.

The Solomons just can't get a break.
They have just had an M7.7 at a very shallow depth.
See here - Earthquake Report for updates.

This, as with the other large quakes, must have produced some sea disturbance. More will come to light in the next few minutes.

There have been so many tremors/quakes today, it seems the planet has been rattled by all of these movements, as agitations seem to be coming up all over the place.

For now,
Duck.

A tsunami warning has been issued.

Edited by duckweather (13/04/2014 23:08)
Edit Reason: bit extra

#1259919 - 14/04/2014 18:04 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi folks.
This'll be a bit of a quicky post, and I might do a better one later.

There is still serious agitation in the NE of the Indo-Oz Plate and partially in the nearby regions with more complex plates.
Fiji had a moderately shallow quake, which was situated on the SW side of Fiji, as compared to their 'usual' deep quakes which occur on the east/SE side of the islands. I'll hesitate a guess (feeling) that today's Fiji quake was in direct response to all the movement in the Solomons.

Generally speaking PNG's quakes have been to the west of the Solomon movements, running along the same plate edge.

Just reflecting on the buoys going off at the same time recently in the NW of Oz under Indonesia and to the NE, east and SE of Oz - I feel that they were set off not by tsunami effect (at that moment in time) but the movement of the plate as it happened when the Solomons large quakes occurred. The global movement of the Indo-Oz Plate in that moment was enough to trigger all of the buoys to go off in unison. Incredible.

Another thought I had regarding the Solomons quakes, is that there is a shallow sub-marine volcano called Kavachi in the Solomons region, which has created 'new' island masses in the near past. I get a feeling that or wonder if the earthquake activity in the Solomons region may energize this volcano - by what degree I don't know - or even if it is activated I don't know. But if you would like to see a brief history of the Kavachi volcano, see Volcano Live - John Seach . John is Volcano adventurer, filmmaker and scientist.

I can't help but feel there may be another larger quake yet to occur for the Solomons or nearby - I maybe wrong.
We may also see another couple of larger quakes around the Pacific. I am being somewhat still drawn to the Central America/Caribbean region too.
The Aleutians and Japan may also be in this mix too.

For now,
Duck.

Edited by duckweather (14/04/2014 18:06)
Edit Reason: spelling again

#1259962 - 15/04/2014 00:03 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi again.

Kalgoorlie-Boulder has just had an M2.6 at 24kms deep. This is a touch deeper than the 'usual' 10km depths recorded by Geoscience.
There was also an off shore tremor, M2.9 at 10kms deep, south of Windy Harbour, also in W.A. (yesterday).

N.S.W has also been active again in the region of Orange and a few spots SSW of there.

Hawker and near Burra in South Oz have had tremors too.

I feel there may be a couple of more tremors yet to come up on the Geoscience website.

Unless my ears/hearing are/is playing tricks on me today, but I could have sworn I heard more of those very faint deep rumbles going through here at various times.

On a global front, the last larger tremor/EQ was an M5 2 hours ago in the Solomon region. Which, because of the way all the quake numbers have panned out today, is somewhat of a quiet spell. But I feel I'd better not speak too soon unfortunately. I get a niggling feeling that we may see the activity picking up again soon.

Ollerton Notts in England seems to be regularly feeling small tremors - about 1 each day or so. This area is a coal mining region and the British Geological Society has recorded more than 90 tremors since mid December 2013.
On the odd occasion Ireland, Scotland and other regions/locations have also felt small tremors in the last few months. I don't know why, but I often get drawn to the general UK region for a 'rare' movement of possibly M3 or M3+ to possibly occur there in 2014. I also am still sometimes feeling my 'minds eye' being drawn to the countries north of the UK (e.g. Norway, Sweden, Denmark and east to the Netherlands). I just get a feeling that one or two of these countries may have a tremor themselves at some point as some energy may stealthily sneak into these areas fro the Atlantic, North and/or the Norwegian Seas.

I also keep quietly getting 'drawn' to the regions heading up to Iceland, Greenland and beyond. As with the EQ which came up in the Franz Josef Land region yesterday, the polar region has been in the 'corner of my [minds'] eye' for a while.

Oklahoma has just had another tremor (just popped over to the Global Incidents Map) an M3. The folks are getting sick of these tremors...

I still feel the Idaho EQ and Yellowstone are related. Recently, in a post, I mentioned those 'words', which can be rather cryptic, I sometimes have pop in my head - like names, colours etc.. I mentioned that I felt there was possibly going to be
Quote:
two locations experiencing tremor activity and/or underground/sinking issues may become one connected concern by degrees.

This may not be relevant to the Yellowstone/Idaho region and I may be wrong in relating such.

Anyway folks, I'll catch up with some more things tomorrow. Let's hope we don't wake up to find that the regions who are and have been suffering because of the large quakes, have endured any more.

For now, Duck.

#1259985 - 15/04/2014 10:34 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Good morning folks.

So far the Solomons haven't had another big quake since my last post, which is good. Though they are still feeling a few M4+'s, along with PNG (an M4.7), which hopefully are just deep enough to not be an issue for them.
The movement around this region has been incredible. One can only imagine what is going on underground/sea and the energy and/or irritation and its' driving force has been persistent.
Let's hope that this aggravation settles soon. The Solomon Island folks have had a pretty cruel run with the impact of the cyclone, the floods, sea surges and now the quakes.

Other regions who have been poorly impacted by damaging events recently, such as Chile (fires and earthquakes), Oso/United States (mud/landslide), Nicaragua (earthquakes), to name a few. Add to this equation the activities of several erupting volcanoes causing issues for some communities around the globe.

Idaho had another moderate EQ (M4+); Yellowstone had a smaller tremor 3 hours before Idaho, and Seattle/Washington and Oregon had simultaneous tremors (under M2) 3 hours ago.
Some energy has travelled to the west coast of Canada (tremors under M3) and up into Alaska/Canada border.

In the early hours of this morning, I heard some 'things' rattle briefly on my dresser. Rather than it feeling like a side to side movement, it felt like a small, sharp vertical movement. Everything was completely quiet at the time and there was no other movement in the house. I wonder if anyone else (other WZ's) in my region felt that? Will see if Geoscience records anything...

For the moment,
Duck.

Edited by duckweather (15/04/2014 10:35)
Edit Reason: spelling again

#1260005 - 15/04/2014 14:16 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
Ken Kato Offline

Yet another decent quake just then, this time a few thousand km SSW of South Africa. Prelim stats: mag 6.8/depth 11.7km.

Edited by Ken Kato (15/04/2014 14:17)
Edit Reason: added stuff

Page 66 of 134 < 1 2 ... 64 65 66 67 68 ... 133 134 >

Who's Online
2 registered (Thunderstruck, 1 invisible), 310 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Today's Birthdays
Pickles
Forum Stats
29543 Members
32 Forums
23882 Topics
1489303 Posts

Max Online: 2925 @ 02/02/2011 22:23
Satellite Image