Page 69 of 142 < 1 2 ... 67 68 69 70 71 ... 141 142 >
Topic Options
#1262299 - 03/05/2014 11:50 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
desieboy Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Broome

The Cape Verde Islands off the coast of Africa is a magic place and becoming a tourist mecca especially for southern Europeans .The place is being developed rather quickly with resorts springing up all the time.
It is however rather volcanic and easy to see that they are in a probable EQ area even though fairly out to sea. A good shaking there would have some dire consequences especially with the hilly topography .

#1262403 - 03/05/2014 19:49 Re: Earthquakes [Re: desieboy]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Wantirna, Vic
Hi desieboy.

Some of the most beautiful places on Earth are in volcanic regions. The mountainous regions with their rich soils, lakes and so on, create some of the most spectacular scenery, which naturally attracts people to want to 'soak up' and enjoy what these places have to offer for 'get-aways' (holidays).
Though some of these regions are 'living' precariously, they never cease to be also beautiful places to live in many ways.

Now, a fellow WZ'er from Townseville pm'd me asking what I thought their ears ringing badly recently and the possible relation to earthquakes. Well, I've jotted some bits below which are my amateur - non scientific feelings about this topic.

There are many things, such as rock movement, grinding, slipping for example (amongst many other types of 'objects' which when forced together or interrelate in some way) which can give of a spectrum of noise and frequency of sounds and electrical currents.

As an example, if rock/earth structure in the sea is moving, grinding and building up to a release of energy in the form of an earthquake, elements in the form of sound waves, electricity etc., are emitted and 'sent out' (in various directions) in a spectrum. The direction, intensity, velocity etc., can be weakened by 'structures' (can include sea temperature and salinity...) or 'obstacles' which may refract, weaken, absorb or bend the frequencies and strength of such.
Similarly, earth movements prior to a detectable tremor or quake on land, can 'send out' similar elements (as mentioned in above paragraph). Have you sometimes noticed, as an example jitters in a seismograph prior to some formally registering earthquakes? Could it also be that at this time (prior to a tremor/EQ) that there may be a time when one's ears can sense alterations in an electrical current or sound waves - being subtly emitted? Sometimes people mention the feeling of ear tone changes (could include feeling like an air pressure drop in a plane, and a slight feeling of anxiety or a feeling of 'something-strange-in-the-air' - but can't 'put-a-finger-on-why') many days prior to an EQ.

The location of an EQ to your proximity may increase the ear 'sensations' or decrease in intensity, and it could also depend what physical (or other) obstacles are between you and the quake. Example sea, mountain range etc..

I feel that our hearing sensitivities are similar to, for example, a dolphin's sonar capabilities.
I feel our ears (and associated brain processes) can act like sonar, detecting various frequencies - whether they be from shock waves, electrical changes (earth and air). The result of such, if not complementary to our normal functioning of equilibrium and feeling of well-being, can leave us feeling dizzy, nauseated, feeling vague and so on (if the effect is strong enough).

Animals are a great example of sensitivity to variations of 'signals' (electrical and other) in nature.
Humans, I feel, are becoming increasingly aware of the affect of such things on themselves, though there are some sectors of society (and individuals) who believe that the sort of ideas I have mentioned is just pseudoscience. Each to their own, I feel. I just know what I feel I intuit and never disregard reports of persons stating their sensitivities before or after earthquakes.

Nature and Mother Earth provides us with messages as to how 'she' works and sometimes can warn us. The animal kingdom (including sea-life) have got it 'sussed' and always have. We are catching up with nature. (Don't forget, we are natural beings too, just like the animals/sea-life. We can sometimes tend to be less tuned in to our instincts and intuition).

Now, just regarding my fellow WZ'ers (I didn't know whether they wanted their WZ name mentioned here) querie, you are very close to where the large EQ's have been happening recently, so it doesn't surprise me if you are feeling some annoying ear tonal changes. Some may feel and sound like deep tones and some may be high pitched.

I could be much more specific regarding this topic, but don't want to hog this space. I also don't have the science knowledge to offer a painstaking explanation of the forces of nature. So please bear with my simplicity and brief jottings.

My thoughts above are basic and my interpretations may be incorrect, so as I always say - take with a pinch of salt wink

Cheers for now, Duck.

#1262532 - 04/05/2014 12:31 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi folks.

Below is a video produced by the PacificTWC which shows many of the earthquakes which have occurred from the 1st of January, up until the 30th of April, 2014.

For now,
Duck.

#1262561 - 04/05/2014 19:40 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi folks.

Just about 600kms south of the Fiji Islands and a little closer to SW of Tonga, there has just been a doublet quake (2 quakes one after the other) at a very deep 500+kms.

Apparently there will not be a tsunami, but water disturbances - perhaps nearby (to quakes) currents and wave behaviours - may occur.

There may be follow on quakes (smaller) to the north, NW and or further south again towards NZ....will see.

For now, Duck.

Post note - 4 earthquakes have preceded and followed in New Zealand on from this larger quake - see here

Edited by duckweather (04/05/2014 19:42)
Edit Reason: bit extra

#1262616 - 05/05/2014 10:08 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi folks.

Japan's M6 this morning, occurred near plate edges and 50 miles from Mount Fuji. If this was a subduction quake, then I feel there may be some influence on the potential behaviour of this volcano. This quake was , generally speaking, at the northern end approx of the Volcano Islands chain.
For reports on how some of the locals experienced this quake - see here

The Sea of Japan (to Japan's west) and to the east of the the coast of Japan may come up with some more movements...will see.

An EQ/tremor of M3.7 has come up in the last hour or so NE of the Gibson Desert in/near Lake Mackay, WA (almost on the border with NT).
In a previous post, I said I had a feeling there was energy lurking around this region and that I felt either the Gibson Desert or a little further north, possibly into the NT, may come up with a tremor/EQ.

There is also energy lurking around the ocean below OZ - and above Antarctica. An M4.6 has occurred about 2000kms SSE of Albany , WA.
We may see another tremor come up near the coast of WA; a couple of tremors come up in SA and maybe even Tasmania....will see.
There may also be another quake in the seas below Oz - maybe also heading back west towards the Indian Ocean....

America's west coast may go on to feel another M3+ in the short term.

PNG/Solomon region may come up with some more moderate (M4++) movement in the short term as well.

For now,
Duck.

Edited by duckweather (05/05/2014 10:11)
Edit Reason: fix error

#1262737 - 06/05/2014 07:18 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
perrywinkle Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Warrawee Valley
Re Gibson Desert quake - Tennant Creek, and the low ranges the western end of the SA-NT border, seem to 'link' with those northern WA tremors. One of those 'lines' you talk about?

#1262765 - 06/05/2014 10:59 Re: Earthquakes [Re: perrywinkle]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi perrywinkle wink

The lines I 'drew' on the Oz map are where I felt may be where energies could be very generally focused or emanate from. But there are other locations, in relation to faults, which could also pop up as such locations in our vast country.
I tend to look at the topography of the land to get a bit of a gist of where I feel there may be potential for movement.
The pressures causing movement can come from several directions and as in other places around the world, I feel we my see the odd 'unknown' or 'dormant' fault show a bit of movement some time this year.
Sometimes I am wrong of course.

The latest quakes in WA, WA/NT border, were approximately where my 'mind's-eye' was being drawn to for a feeling I had of possible energy building. The Gibson Desert was a 'name' that I couldn't get off my mind.

The earthquake in Thailand was a rather dangerous one
See The EQ Report has a rather extensive 'round-up' of the situation there, as it is currently.
On the 26th March, 2011, the Pattaya Today (Thailand) news site, posted an interesting article about City Hall issuing a warning about the potential of a damaging quake for the region that has just experienced the latest large quake and aftershocks.
See in this report too, a map of the suspect and recognized fault lines associated with Thailand;
"2,700 city buildings at earthquake risk" - Pattaya Today (report from 26th march 2011)

Japan and region has/is being as prone to movements as I felt it would, and I feel this may continue.

The Northern Alaska, Chile, Puerto Rico/Virgin Islands (tremors only at the moment, not large quakes) and the western Pacific have - for now - been generally the most active regions (number of quakes/tremors) in the last 12'ish hours.
The west coast of America has gone eerily 'quiet' at the time of typing this post. They are feeling the odd smaller tremor. The Canadian west coast is behaving in a similar way at the moment.
It seems the 'pressure' has reduced temporarily there, as a fair bit of EQ producing energies has focused seemingly more towards the west of the Pacific - Chile and surrounds - with the Mediterranean ping-ponging' a bit with tremors ranging from the east of the Atlantic through to the Turkey region.

The energies for the activity there (Mediterranean) seems to (in my minds-eye again) be being generated maybe from the regions of;
Atlantic, Italy, Greece/north Egypt/Mediterranean Sea, then through to the general Caspian Sea region.

The mountain regions of Switzerland - Germany - France and surrounds are other very large regions I feel has the potential to feel movements from energy coming in from the south, west and SE.....just my feelings.

For now,
Duck.

Edited by duckweather (06/05/2014 11:00)
Edit Reason: loaded before I had finished

#1262784 - 06/05/2014 14:25 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi again folks (no. 2 post for today).

I am currently sitting at my computer working away smile
Just wondered if anyone from my region, back towards Gippsland is feeling the intermittent subtle vibrations (coming up through the floor)?
A seismo in Gippsland is picking up on this small movement, but the ones NW and west of Melbourne don't seem to picking up the same 'movements'.

It has been a strange day so far, and the following may have nothing to do with the above, but at 4am this morning my electronic mouse deterrent began to 'squeal' (never done that before in 10 years) and the dvd player in the family room came on with a horror movie (disc left in player). Needless to say it scared the what-evers out of me. I went to turn on my bed-side lamp and it only glowed slightly - adding to my nerves crazy
I got up to see why the cat was also fearfully groaning at my door, when the power seemed to surge and turned several lights on, flood lights and set of alarms in the shops nearby.
Just a power outage, more than likely, considering the combination of happenings re: lights etc.
After checking all the appliances in the house, I went outside to check the power box and there was an electrical hum/faint squeal in the upper air. Every thing was dead still and it was quite creepy. Also, the dogs looked as if they had seen a ghost.

Anyway, will see if the movements (subtle vibrations) we can feel here is anything. I feel that unless there is a recordable tremor, Geoscience may not note anything on their site.

For now,
Duck.

#1262883 - 07/05/2014 09:50 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi folks.

I've had a little time to have a look at how the Pacific Ocean regions have faired with the number of larger quakes in the last month.
It is quite astonishing really and without including the earthquakes and aftershocks below M6, the tally so far for M6+ quakes in the last 30 days (using the Geoscience "last 30 days worldwide" map only) is an incredible (approx) 24

The largest quakes, above M7, have been in PNG (twice), Solomons (twice) and Mexico.
PNG and near Fiji came close to M7, with an M6.9 and M6.8 respectively.

When you look at the world map as a whole, the other region to have experienced an M6.9 (large quake) is below Africa, near the Bouvet islands.

The Pacific Ocean regions have been the most active, regarding large quakes, in the last month. A sobering thought, isn't it? So I think it would be safe to say that this region is a real hot spot for earthquakes, volcanic activity, sea-floor spreading, undersea activity, subduction energies.
In a strange way, the Pacific region seems almost like the most indecisive piece/part of the whole puzzle - the globe as a whole. Though the Earth 'knows' what she is doing.
Of course, there are many other regions in the world which have the potential to experience larger quakes and substantial earth behaviours too, but the Pacific region seems to be quite a focal point for Mother Earth's 'furniture-rearranging' at the moment.

Anyway, the Indian Ocean regions, particularly towards the NE regions (Indonesia, Sumatra) and maybe the Indian Ocean somewhere, may be a bit more active today.

For Now, Duck.

Post-note; add to the M6+ list the West Chile Rise M6.2 this morning.

Edited by duckweather (07/05/2014 09:54)

#1262910 - 07/05/2014 13:18 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Just to add on to my last post....

...and to say 'wow', this thread has reached over 400,000 views now for WZ. This great and I hope that whatever I contribute (well ok...I hog this 'space' smile ) is of good value to readers, even though Duck is definitely a lay person when it comes to EQ science.

Cheers for now all,
delighted Duck grin

#1262990 - 08/05/2014 12:41 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi folks.

This'll be a short post as I am very busy atm.

Just wanted to post an article here which mentions an 'alert' for Oklahoma to be prepared for the potential of a possibly damaging quake in the future.
This is something which I have been rattling on about or eluding to in many of my previous posts. There are just too many tremors in this region - and the constant agitation there just 'speaks to me' of being an indicator that a larger quake may be possible in this region.....

"Rare earthquake warning issued for Oklahoma"

Puerto Rico has come up with a moderate EQ (and aftershock), which is the movement I anticipated also for this region.

The outer edges of the craton associated with Yellowstone is producing tremors.

More later when I get time.

For now, Duck.

#1263073 - 09/05/2014 13:02 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi folks.

My posts are a little 'hit-and-miss' at the moment and may not keep up to date with all that is happening, due to work.

Most will be aware of the Mexico quake, of M6.4, and rather than have me rattle on about the consequences of this one, here's a couple of articles about such;
"Very strong dangerous earthquake in bet...rthquake Report
"Powerful earthquake shakes Mexico City; workers evacuate buildings" - EP
also a couple of other very interesting articles on the same site here;
"Nicobar Islands in Indian Ocean plagued with sinkholes after tsunami"
"Yellowstone eruption: Report claims tha...s of Americans"

Minutes before the latest PNG quake, we felt more vibrations going through the floor here. Now, the PNG quake may have had nothing to do with this movement....and there have been other tremors in Oz which may have been more relevant to the movements being felt here.
As I am typing this post we had another rumble go through (not enough to rattle trinkets or doors), which, if I have counted correctly, is about the fifth one to happen. These have been felt during the night as well, when all has been quiet. They may not be registering as formal tremors, but I feel our continent may be responding in various places to vibrations/energy from distant quakes, as well as stealthy movements/energies in Oz.....

As I have rattled on about before, the U.S. west coast, as well as near the U.S./Canadian border (with energy running up into offshore western Canada), and surrounding the vast edges of the Yellowstone craton (surrounding states) - are still areas to 'watch' for the potential of moderate (maybe a very outside chance of a larger) movements.
Hawaii has also been experiencing many harmonic tremors (volcanic?) in the last half day or so.
Many volcanoes around the ROF are responding to the ongoing activity in and around the Pacific; the plate movements and upwelling from within the earth itself. It seems quite energized and has for some time.

Just offshore in Karratha, Western Australia, has had an M3+. I feel this may be related to the energies associated with plate activity to the north of WA/NT / eastern Indian Ocean.
NSW has also come up with tremor near Boorowa, which is within the region of regular activity.
SA is also rattling with tremors on a fairly regular basis too, in mostly the 'usual' locations or nearby.

I still get a niggling feeling that Mexico's large quake may not be the last larger quake we could see in the short term.

Anyway, I may be back later when I have more time smile

Cheers, Duck.

#1263210 - 11/05/2014 11:28 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

To all the mums,
Who we may hold and cherish in our memory or mums we can still hold in our arms,
Peace and love on Motherís Day x

Much of what I mentioned as potential or continual movements (e.g. Mexico etc.) has occurred since my last post.

Southern Alaska's quake (M5.5) has come amidst all of the small tremors they have been experiencing recently. The other interesting Alaskan locations for recent quakes/tremors are far northern, central and NW Alaska...it seems that the energies there have 'spread' a bit and involving quite a large area (in places) of the Alaskan state.

Tassie, near Conara, finally came up with the tremor I was anticipating a short while ago - an M2.3. It appears to be a valley (farming region?) where another valley reaches in from the east (leading out to the Tasman Sea, but its 'passage' partially blocked by a mountain range) The general 'valley' also reaches/meanders north to Bass Strait. The actual topography of the land there, I am not sure of, but the region is surrounded somewhat by mountain ranges and lakes dotted here and there. I am going to hazard a guess that a fault there may have responded to (maybe) some pressure coming from the east or SE...? Could be wrong.

Anyway, there is more I can natter on about, but it is Mother's Day and I am off to enjoy some time with my mum, my kids and their partners.

Cheers all,
Mumma (soon-to-be-granny) Duck cool

#1263323 - 12/05/2014 21:39 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi folks.

The tremors in Greece today have mainly concentrated in this region, and slightly to the west in lower east Italy. This quite focused for the Mediterranean.
Also in the European region, the waterway regions, where the Atlantic leads into and through Gibraltar and just into and south of Spain, is still a region where I feel there is some 'energy' lurking around producing tremors - Morocco (inland) came up with an M4.3, which is within this region.
Then, when you travel back to the west (Portugal...) and down the east of the Atlantic (west of the west coast of Africa) and down to the Canary Islands (possibly even as far as Cape Verde), I feel there may be some 'energy' being dispersed through this region, with the 'central focus' being/beginning just south of Portugal/Spain/Strait of Gibraltar general region.....

Western Australia (SW) has again experienced a cluster of tremors today'ish. There has been some consistent movement there and I feel that maybe the energy could be or has been coming in from the south (seas) and west/SW of WA from the Indian Ocean.

Mount Gambier, actually offshore, near the border of Victoria and South Australia, came up with a tremor on the 10th May. This one is possibly relevant to the energies I have nattered on about maybe coming up from the Great Australian Bight and the seas below Victoria...?

There are some small tremors starting to come up in some different (to the usual) regions/towns in the United States - specifically the California regions. Just as the energies have spread a bit to several other regions in Alaska.

I found the depth of the Bonin Island regions EQ (Japan) depth of over 500kms interesting. Without checking the history of the depths of the quakes of this region, this is a very deep quake (a bit of a 'foundation-shifter') which I didn't expect for this region. There may be a follow on of EQ's from Japan and north of Japan; down to Taiwan and maybe through the Marianna region...?

For some reason I am getting a feeling that Vietnam may feel a tremor and Thailand may go on to experience some more aftershocks.

The western Pacific (islands) may continue to experience various sizes and depths of EQ's in the short term.

Chile and Oklahoma, will continue to experience tremors, just to name a couple of regions.

For now, Duck.

Edited by duckweather (12/05/2014 21:43)
Edit Reason: correction

#1263461 - 13/05/2014 21:59 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi folks.

The large quake in the Panama region is the sort of energy, or potential of, I was anticipating for this general region - unfortunately. I had a gut feeling that this region was being 'squeezed' and was possibly going to 'give'.
It was large enough, in my mind, to produce some rather strong current changes and altered small wave behaviour along the nearby coastlines. Given the size of the quake and the proximity to a semi-complex series of plates there (and their behaviours), there will be aftershocks as the region adjusts/settles/rearranges itself.

There may be another tremor/EQ in the region of Central America, perhaps north of Panama.

Interestingly, and maybe not directly related to the Panama quake, Hawaii has/is experiencing numerous small tremors (California also followed on with tremors immediately). This is displaying an agitation, whose probable source may be mostly volcanic related. I feel (and I could be wrong) that these movements are not of pure isolation (source) in Hawaii. I feel the energies surrounding these movements may influenced by 'movements' related to the west coast of America and the general east of the Pacific. Hawaii sits on a line of volcanic chain which appears to lead up to Kamchatka, just as I feel it may have an 'umbilical cord' of sorts to the east of the Pacific. Now, my thoughts here may be completely wrong, so take with the proverbial 'pinch-of-salt'.

I feel the regions between Japan and PNG (and surrounding Pacific Islands) may still be rather 'fragile' or susceptible to some more movement. The Marianna's came up with the movements I was anticipating (a previous post) in relation to this bit of a gut feeling I currently have.

We, here in outer east Melbourne, are still feeling small vibrations, some of which appear to be independent of larger quakes and movements away from the Australian mainland. A vibration I felt some minutes ago registered on a seismo north'ish of Melbourne. A more local seismo to my region has also been intermittently registing some jitters.
The lower states of Oz have, in the last week, entered another period of localized clustering of tremors (WA) and NSW has been feeling 3 recordable tremors since the 8th of May (last Thursday).
SA may go on to feel another couple of tremors in the next few days. Given the occurrence of the offshore of Mount Gambier/Vic border tremor on the evening of the 10th of May (Saturday), we may (??) see another tremor pop up near the west of Tasmania or near the coast of Victoria. The Mt Gambier/Vic tremor was 50kms away from a tremor which occurred last year near Portland. There are a couple of 'faults' running around these regions (maybe semi-connected) which may (or may not) respond to this latest movement (??).

NW Alaska (near Noatak) is still unsettled. The movements there have been intermittently ongoing and may continue to do so. They may even go on t feel another M4 (??).

For now, Duck.

Edited by duckweather (13/05/2014 22:00)

#1263604 - 14/05/2014 19:42 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi folks.

Just, for the moment, I'd pop in here to show you two articles from the L.A. Times - "Preliminary quake map shows fault lines under schools, hotels, homes " article

and

the video of "Fly over the Hollywood fault zone" By Times Staff

The article complements the video.

On another note. most of the EQ activity today occurred as I had mostly anticipated.

Australia, namely WA today, is still coming up with tremors in fairly predictable places and the odd 'unusual' location - like today's M3 north of Laverton.
I still get a feeling we will see some more tremors for Oz, perhaps a few more near the coasts.

For now, Duck.

#1263662 - 15/05/2014 12:21 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi folks.

The west coast of South America, including up into Central America, has been experiencing several medium sized tremors/EQ's.
Interestingly, the quakes have occurred in a sort of time sequence, beginning on the west coastal regions of Central America, then working their way down the coast of South America, with the last one being an hour ago in Regional Metropolitan Chile.
This shows an 'energy' running from north to south at the moment. This energy may filter into Argentina and just maybe down the coast again, closer to the southern regions of South America.

Hawaii is definitely experiencing ongoing clustering of harmonic tremors, showing a period of almost constant activity in this region. It could go on to feel an M3+ or may peter out as the energy subsides.

The tremors being recorded to the NW of the U.S. and into Canada (western region) includes some tremors recorded because of blasting operations there.
California has also had a couple of mine blasting jobs going on there too.

Oklahoma is still rattling with M2's and M3's here and there (on a daily basis) and some of the energy has shown up in a Texas tremor now.
The San Andreas (and sister faults) are still producing some small tremors for the California regions. I feel this is like nervous jittering which could go on to produce several more tremors in the M3+ range and maybe a couple of M4+'s.
Maybe the locations surrounding Los Angeles, San Francisco and Eureka, for example, may go on to come up with an M3 or M4 or an outside chance one or more of these locations may come up with an M5 some time in the near future.

12 hours ago an M4+ came up in the Sea of Japan - which I feel may be a result of 'energy' moving under - to the west of Japan, with the pressure releasing in the Sea.

Ifalik, Micronesia's shallow M6.1 didn't apparently produce a tsunami of any size - which is good because the islands (occupied) there are very low and close to sea level, and even a small wave disturbance (tsunami of even perhaps 30cm tall or more) could be quite problematic - maybe even seriously problematic - for the islanders there.
There must have been some sort of water/current disturbance there - an M6.1 at 10kms deep is not a tickle for any region.

I feel we may see M4's come up in the Mediterranean (Greece, Turkey, Gibraltar and maybe Italy for example);
Another M4+ for Chile and nearby regions;
Same with Japan, PNG/Solomons, Samoa/Tonga, and maybe also north of NZ.

I also feel that Australia is not currently immune from experiencing another M3+, maybe an outside chance of an M4?.
NW or north of Oz (Indonesia and/or Sumatra regions) may come up with another M4.
Maybe even up and near Myanmar or somewhere in the Bay of Bengal...? an M4?

As for the larger quakes, I feel that we may still see another M6 in the Pacific somewhere, and maybe a more moderate one may come up in an 'unusual' region....

I get this niggling feeling that there will be a movement which will take a community by surprise, but not be a disaster.

I also get a feeling that a region which has/is experiencing several small tremors on a fairly constant basis, may notice something in the environment that is perceived 'unusual' or earth deformation which may be a 'surprise' (nothing disastrous).

Take what I say with that 'pinch-of-salt' folks.

For now, Duck.

#1263808 - 16/05/2014 10:42 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi folks.

Vietnam and the east of the Bay of Bengal have experienced the quakes I felt it would, but they have not shown up on the Global Incident Map- EQ's. See here for info on these, M4.5 for Vietnam and M4.7 for Nicobar/Bay of Bengal qaukes.

Another quake which came up, which I mentioned it might, is the north of New Zealand, on the Tasman Sea side. This one was an M4+.

West Yellowstone, Montana and Utah (to the SW of Yellowstone) have been experiencing several tremors in the last 24 hours.

Washington State (U.S.) has had at least 14 tremors in the last 7 days (near Portland and east of Seattle).

Canada's west coast is still popping up with the odd tremor in the general locations of where their past sizable tremors/quakes have occurred. Also, about 1000kms to the east in Alberta there has been an M2.7 followed on with an M1.9(?) aftershock. Also further up and closer to the Alaskan border, about a few hundred kms inland, there has been the same scenario of a tremor of about M2.4 with a follow on aftershock slightly smaller in size. These tremors in both locations occurred very roughly within the 'same' time frame, give or take an hour or two.

Quite a few of the larger quakes which came up since my last post were in the regions I felt they may occur.

For now, Duck.

Edited by duckweather (16/05/2014 10:42)
Edit Reason: spelling again

#1263814 - 16/05/2014 11:37 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi again.

I meant to note in my last post that as I was sitting at my computer (very still, not typing or moving) thinking about my last post and what to type, my computer monitor and the table it sits on jolted ever so slightly, but just enough to get the monitor rocking a bit. I felt it through the floor as well.
It will be interesting to see if anything at all was noted by Geoscience, but it may have been too small a movement to be formally recorded. I don't think Vic is out of the woods for a tremor (size?) at the moment, there's that feeling in the air again - as I sometimes rattle on about.

Anyway for now,
Duck.

post note: just looked at Gippsland's seismo, and it registered a 'movement' at around the time I was gabbling on about above.

Edited by duckweather (16/05/2014 11:40)

#1263973 - 18/05/2014 08:58 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi folks.

Just a quick post for the moment.

My sneaking suspicion that Oz, particularly somewhere west of Tassie, maybe offshore Vic, and maybe being (for Oz) an M3+, has come up overnight near Kangaroo island. Obviously this is below SA and not Vic though.
I have been feeling that there is 'energy' lurking around the south of Oz, not just in SA, quietly Vic and SW WA.
This is not a scientific opinion (based in knowledge) but I get a wee feeling that with the Indo-Oz plate helping cause many quakes north of Oz, via its directional movement, is possible also having some sort of 'energy' affect on the southern portion of the Indo-Oz plate. Also I feel that complementing this 'maybe' energy, could be some pressure from the regions just north of the Antarctic.

The near-Kangaroo Island tremor/quake may (and this is only a small feeling) indicate that there could be some more energy to filter up and into lower SA, perhaps on a coast of off shore..??? Lower Vic may also be included in this scenario.

Here's a bit of a curiosity (if you like silly facts) - the tremors in lower Oz occurred in timing in a circular fashion to date (and in the last 7 days);
Tassie -> Mt. Gambier -> Cooma NSW -> Orange NSW -> Laura SA -> Kangaroo Island south of.

The energy source/direction of/from these tremors may not be related, though some will be.

For now, Duck.

Page 69 of 142 < 1 2 ... 67 68 69 70 71 ... 141 142 >

Who's Online
8 registered (scott12, Mad Elf #1.5, Dr Philosophy, Ahab, snoopydoo, Purnong, LonnyDave, StormQueen), 81 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Today's Birthdays
Chris #3, Cloudwatcher, dave-tsv, GuyH, Joshg, Prettybub, s016230, Sprouts
Forum Stats
29700 Members
32 Forums
24005 Topics
1502900 Posts

Max Online: 2925 @ 02/02/2011 22:23
Satellite Image