NOTICE!

The Weatherzone forum has now closed and is in read-only mode until the 1st of November when it will close permanently. We would like to thank everyone who has contributed over the past 18 years.

If you would like to continue the discussion you can follow us on Facebook and Twitter or participate in discussions at AusWeather or Ski.com.au forums.

Page 70 of 154 < 1 2 ... 68 69 70 71 72 ... 153 154 >
Topic Options
#1264076 - 19/05/2014 17:29 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Wantirna, Vic
Hi folks.

The 'usual' locations for quakes and tremors are still popping up with movements, such as Oklahoma, Japan, California, PNG, Chile, New Zealand, Tonga, Mediterranean to name a few.

The Central East Pacific Rise has had two EQ's today. The second one being slightly larger than the first. They occurred two hours apart and is indicative of movement/energy which had unfinished business at the time of the first.
I actually found this one (two quakes) interesting. To imagine the forces at work at this location to be activated for at least a two hours period shows how the energy which produces EQ's doesn't necessarily have to be a sudden-one-off movement. The energy can be being driven for an extended period of time, before it gives in one, two or more moments, until that energy has relieved.

Silent quakes, which creep over time, like the ones in NZ for example, release small amounts of energy in moments, which is probably a good thing. This may reduce some of the potential for a one-off major quake in some circumstances.

We may sometimes think of the quakes on land as being the most obvious and maybe the ones some only tend to watch. But I have always had a fascination with what goes on on the sea floors. Perhaps there are as many movements, probably mostly in the smaller range, which remain mostly undetected or perhaps sometimes not added to EQ maps.
The plates, ridges etc. of many types, sizes and designs, litter the planet - on land and in the sea. Combine this with volcanic structures on the sea floor all over the place (those which are active and those which may 'asleep') and there evolves a bigger picture of not only the dynamics or EQ's (and volcanoes) but Mother Earth can be quite 'busy' and complex in/at so many locations.

Oz is still coming up with coastal/offshore tremors, like the one in WA (Kalbarri) M2.4 this morning.
There may be a few more coastal/offshore tremors to come here and there (Broome? or Exmouth? I am not sure) around some odd spots for Oz.

Albania's M5 (and aftershock/movements) have rattles the locals a bit. They are not immune to earthquakes and I think there largest one in the past may have been an M6.6?
If my memory serves me correctly, I think there's a lot of mining which goes on in Albania and quakes in the range of M5 at a fairly shallow 10kms, could be an issue for any nearby mine.

Mexico or somewhere near there, on the coast or offshore, may come up with some more movements.
California may start cropping up with tremors afresh and may even feel an M4'ish.

For now, Duck.

#1264134 - 20/05/2014 11:59 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi folks.

Just thought I'd add an image of Australia and nearby regions' EQ's and tremors for the last 30 days.

Map/image courtesy of Geoscience website and uploaded with ImageShack.

Interesting to see the amount of movements around the place in this time.
Oz is not such a 'quiet' place when it comes to tremors.
What you see in this image are only the tremors/EQ's (for Oz) which are formally recorded. There are other very small jitters which aren't mapped. Some of the movements we may feel in Oz are reverberations from non-Oz quakes, but we do get our wee share of jiggles on the mainland.

It is interesting to note the 'regular' locations for tremors in Oz and some of the 'new' regions which have experienced tremors, and again interestingly, a couple of the M3's and M3+'s have come up in fairly uncommon (not regular movers) places - WA is the latest example.

I still, in my non-scientific opinion, feel that Oz is being squeezed or pressure (by degrees) is being place on several faults, with some of the locations being particularly 'vulnerable' to such pressures. As I have mentioned before, I feel the pressures are coming in from the Indian Ocean, Bass Strait/east Great Oz Bight, the Tasman Sea and the Southern Ocean. Well I suppose that pretty much covers almost 2/3 of the Australian coastline...
I also get a sneaking suspicion that in a couple of places, such as SA/Vic/lower NSW, that energy may be coming in and underneath the Bass Strait region/Tasman Sea side.

On another note, there is a buoy near the Bay of Bengal/Sumatra region, which is in event mode. The readings are very erratic and have been for approximately the last 24 hours. It is not a happy chappy. See NOAA maps here

for the moment,
Duck.

Edited by duckweather (20/05/2014 12:01)
Edit Reason: spelling again

#1264178 - 20/05/2014 19:25 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi again (2nd post for today)

Here's a movement which doesn't surprise me at all. I have been very drawn to this location for some time, as the energy travelling around the NW part of the Arabian Sea and around the general regions shown in the map below, was destined to produce movement in the Afar Rift at some point. The movement there, 6 or so hours ago, confirms my recent suspicions of the Afar Rift region as going to move in the short term.
The purple circle I have put on the map is the approximate location of the M4.2 at 10kms deep which occurred today.

This image comes from Wikipedia and is uploaded with ImageShack.

Oklahoma's tremors have slightly increased today, with the latest tremor an M3.6, which is just a smidgen bigger than the last one. Texas, nearby, has become more active as well in very recent times - a connection???

Mexico came up with an EQ, M5 today as I felt it would too.

I get a bit of a feeling that there may be a larger quake in an active subduction zone and possibly a volcano whose activity may rattle a couple of fault lines enough to cause a cluster of tremors for a region.

One other of my 'weird' thoughts is that "there will be a raising of dust or a slip of dry earth" - I dunno why that has come to mind and it may just be that weaning myself off coffee atm may not be such a good idea crazy or just call me daffy Duck. Take all with a pinch of salt.

Cheers for now, Duck.

#1264182 - 20/05/2014 20:34 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
Petros Offline
Meteorological Motor Mouth

Loc: Maffra, Central Gippsland, Vi...
Originally Posted By: duckweather
Hi folks.

Just thought I'd add an image of Australia and nearby regions' EQ's and tremors for the last 30 days.

Map/image courtesy of Geoscience website and uploaded with ImageShack.

Interesting to see the amount of movements around the place in this time.
Oz is not such a 'quiet' place when it comes to tremors.
What you see in this image are only the tremors/EQ's (for Oz) which are formally recorded. There are other very small jitters which aren't mapped. Some of the movements we may feel in Oz are reverberations from non-Oz quakes, but we do get our wee share of jiggles on the mainland.

It is interesting to note the 'regular' locations for tremors in Oz and some of the 'new' regions which have experienced tremors, and again interestingly, a couple of the M3's and M3+'s have come up in fairly uncommon (not regular movers) places - WA is the latest example.

I still, in my non-scientific opinion, feel that Oz is being squeezed or pressure (by degrees) is being place on several faults, with some of the locations being particularly 'vulnerable' to such pressures. As I have mentioned before, I feel the pressures are coming in from the Indian Ocean, Bass Strait/east Great Oz Bight, the Tasman Sea and the Southern Ocean. Well I suppose that pretty much covers almost 2/3 of the Australian coastline...
I also get a sneaking suspicion that in a couple of places, such as SA/Vic/lower NSW, that energy may be coming in and underneath the Bass Strait region/Tasman Sea side.

On another note, there is a buoy near the Bay of Bengal/Sumatra region, which is in event mode. The readings are very erratic and have been for approximately the last 24 hours. It is not a happy chappy. See NOAA maps here

for the moment,
Duck.

DW, I for one would love a monthly update for our region as you provided above! smile Pls keep up the interesting work and your own thoughts/feelings.

#1264192 - 20/05/2014 22:57 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Petros]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

blush Cheers Petros.

Being that Oz is our own home ground, it is interesting to look at monthly data on our tremors. When you see the 'monthly' map, as Geoscience has recorded, it is obvious that, even though we don't feel very obvious and constant tremors, we are not immune from such movements.
In a past post I mentioned that I felt my desk/table ever so slightly jolt - slightly rocking my computer monitor - this coincided with a movement on a local seismo. There was another one today.....

Where you are Petros is closer to where some of the movements may be originating from.
On still days (no wind) listen to your house and watch your animals. My house has developed some splits (small) between plaster joins in the last year (and in the last couple of weeks), though I am not guaranteeing that these are exclusively related to tremors. I also have some movement in a portion of brickwork - which has been assessed as more than likely EQ related (and other small jolts), actually one brickwork issue happened during the M5.3 we had (!!) - but all is safe.

I feel that if larger quakes keep occurring on a regular basis north of Oz, with the odd ones popping up below Oz, enough of a strain may be put on a fault/s near or on the coastal regions of our continent to perhaps brew up another M5.

When one keeps an eye on the Oz tremors and where they are occurring over good stretch of time, it feels that there are regions which may respond first to pressures, then when the energy/pressure is dissipated or sneaks beyond these regions (like WA, SA for example) then you may start to see the odd tremor pop up more inland (like WA's this week). I could be wrong with my observations here though. I am no Geo Guru smile

Without wanting to harp on about another region, being Oklahoma, I feel this region is one that could be in for an M4+ (hopefully not bigger). As I said in a last post, Texas has started to receive what I call 'off-shoot' movements, which are seeming to pop up almost in conjunction with some of the Oklahoma tremors. Whether they are truly related or not, I am not certain, but my current feeling is that they could be.

Anyway, cheers for now,
Duck.

Edited by duckweather (20/05/2014 22:58)

#1264210 - 21/05/2014 09:48 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi folks.

Just as my intuition was twigging at me, in feeling that there was energy lurking around the (coastal) general region of Gippsland, near where Petros lives, an M3.1 has come up near Sale. This is currently pegged at 0kms deep by Geoscience, but that may change as they accumulate more data.

This is also an example of the coastal tremors I anticipated would be a bit of a feature of the Oz tremors, as I have mentioned in previous posts.

If you add this tremor to the other ones on the map in a previous post (for the last 30 days), it has joined a cluster of tremors which are coming up in a "U" shape incorporating SA, Vic, Tasmania and NSW - there you can see the energies I have been gabbling on about.

For now, Duck.

Edited by duckweather (21/05/2014 09:49)

#1264219 - 21/05/2014 10:56 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

As an addition to my last post today, Victoria actually had two tremors today.
There was also an M2.6 near Leongatha not far from the coast.
See Geoscience here

For now, Duck.

#1264391 - 22/05/2014 22:33 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi folks.

See The Earthquake Report for dates and quakes in the left column, to catch up with alot of info on the recent quakes/tremors and those which have been damaging for various locations.

The Bay of Bengal larger quake is one which I unfortunately felt was possibly going to occur. The buoy going beserk in that region was one of the reasons I felt that the communities there may experience a larger quake...

The Virginia EQ of M3.2 at 1km deep, has surprised many locals there. Interestingly, on the 28th April (2014) there was a report in the site "strangesounds,org" that booms were being heard by locals in a region not far from today's tremor/EQ.
Here's the report on this site

Energy appears to be filtering up and into the west of Canada, offshore, again.

Yellowstone may be niggling at Washington again (my personal observation only).

Poor old Oklahoma will not let up, with Texas occasionally sharing the odd rumble with its' sister state (Oklahoma).

Sometimes Hawaii and the west coast of the U.S. go off in unison with tremors.

The South Sandwich islands region is very active and I feel this movement may stop abruptly or go on to throw up a potential M6.

Chile may experience another M5+.

Puerto Rico may go on to feel an M4(?).

Gibraltar, Crete/Greece and maybe far NW of the Arabian Sea (maybe near Muscat/Oman - at sea?) may go on to feel an M4....

All above are just feelings.

There are other areas which I could rattle on about, but my eyes are 'hanging out' with tiredness at the moment sleep
So I may continue on tomorrow sometime.

For now, Duck.

#1264500 - 24/05/2014 09:34 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi folks, finally getting a chance to jot a post.

I've been putting up some pics lately, and I know some find it good to look at images as well as a whole lot of text smile

So....below is an image of the 'larger' tremors and quakes which have been recorded on the USGS site. The yellow dots are quakes/tremors older than 24 hours and which have occurred in the last 7 days.
The orange dots are those movements which have occurred in the last 24 hours (as registered by USGS).

Notice the red lines are the locations of the edges of the major plates.
The western Pacific region is very active again.

Generally speaking the deepest quakes are being generated in the Marianna Islands and the Fiji Islands regions.
The peripheral regions' quakes are mostly shallower.
When considering this, in my mind anyway, 'you' can get a bit of a mental picture or feel for one of the possible focal points (depth) of where there maybe some of the energy is coming from. Or... where some of the energy creating the deepest movements may be generating some of the upper level movements...hope that makes sense...

Obviously there are other locations/regions/reasons-for where energies to produce these quakes are coming from.

For now,
Duck.

#1264553 - 25/05/2014 10:43 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi folks.

Greece/Western Turkey quakes;

EQ Report info

Volcano Discovery info (shows many of the after-movements and an updating map of such).

In a previous post I mentioned - "there will be a raising of dust or a slip of dry earth" and a reference to the potential of a larger quake/s in an active subduction zone - "there will be a raising of dust or a slip of dry earth" (the African Plate is subducting under the Aegean Plate. The EQ occurred at the northern end of the Aegean Plate). Included in this 'suspicion' I mentioned Greece/Crete ("M4..." meaning M4+++) possibly being an area to observe for movements.

Now, the above paragraph in parts could relate to several areas of course...and it could look like I chucked that paragraph together to be 'clever' - that which I am not.
But, recently I had written in amongst some of my work notes (pen on paper) something which came to mind and which I felt I could only hint at in this thread - 'coz I didn't want to be 'precise' in case I was horribly wrong -
I wrote - "An ancient region - dry/arid - old buildings - Greece to the east and Turkey to the west - between lands - in water - dust will rise - dry earth will fall (parts of old brick buildings). Strong earthquakes will shake and injure people"

But besides what I may rattle on about with my feelings above, these large earthquakes and after-movements are not what we want to see for any community. So my thoughts are with those folks affected by these quakes.

There is no doubt (in my mind) that the larger quakes in this region will have had an affect on the local waters. Possibly with currents and wave patterns. I am also hesitating a guess that there could be some obvious earth (ground) cracks or shifts in some spots (either a bit vertical and/or horizontal).
These quakes demonstrate some (obviously) serious movements in the fault lines there. The energy from which may filter into nearby regions (which has already occurred ?? to some of the NW and SE countries)...
On an obscure note...I wonder how much heat was generated in these substantial movements...?

Be back later.....got to zip out atm..

Duck.

Edited by duckweather (25/05/2014 10:45)
Edit Reason: bit extra

#1264587 - 25/05/2014 21:22 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi again folks.

To start with, there is an 'alert' out for Victorians (Oz) to submit video/cctv footage of a meteorite which has exploded over Melbourne/Vic tonight at 6.30pm.
See here for this request from the Meteorite news site.
Wouldn't it be nice to find a new little 'rock' for the gold ring 'gap' on your finger smile or boost the bank account...?
I saw a meteorite 'explode' in the distance (looking west of Melbourne) last night.

Anyway, after Greece/Western Turkey's/Aegean Sea's quakes, there were a few M5's which popped up fairly evenly spread across/around the planet not long after the Aegean.

Generally speaking, as I type this post, the EQ front is moderately calm. But this may not be for long. I get a feeling that we may see an M5 (M5+?) pop up fairly soon in the Pacific.
Also perhaps the west coast of the U.S. may come up with another M3+.

Victoria, SA (particularly Mount Gambier and Mt Rat regions) have independently come up with movements on seismo's in and around their respective regions. Will see if Geoscience adds anything on their site for Vic, SA, WA and NSW over the next 24 hours.

For some reason, I keep getting drawn to Alaska, north of the Gulf of Alaska (?). I also feel there may be another moderate quake to come up in the Mediterranean region, maybe in a similar/nearby region to the Aegean....

Maybe in an island east of Queensland (meaning maybe Fiji, Samoa etc.) could come up with an M4+. PNG could also be in this mix....

For now, Duck.

Edited by duckweather (25/05/2014 21:24)
Edit Reason: I typed pooped instead of popped :)

#1264907 - 28/05/2014 10:55 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Well helloooo again folks.
Apart from a post I put in the Vic weather thread very early yesterday morning, I haven't had much of a chance to focus on EQ's due to other things.

So, in the meantime (until I may get a better chance to rattle on tonight) I thought I'd jot some bits below.

Swansea, Newcastle's sinkhole appearance was very interesting. NSW has been experiencing for some time now, even if only in sporadic (of sorts) clustering of tremors.
From the west of Newcastle, including the coast, down to near the border with Vic (including Canberra) - and...a general region of about 300 kms from the coast and back inland....there have been/are the odd tremors popping up in this vast overall region - almost a focused region.
Now, I am not saying that the sinkhole was the end result of tremor activity - just that the location of such is within the proximity of locations which have experienced tremors.
The apparent 'cause' of the sinkhole is a mineshaft collapse - the cause of the collapse itself will come to light as time goes on.
Needless to say, I feel sorry for the folks there and it may have them wondering if and/or when another subsidence may occur.

In a previous post I mentioned (without being region specific) that there may be a rise or fall of 'land' which may surprise some folks. Though my comment was very generalized, and didn't 'name' any region, with all of the ground rattling going on around the planet, especially in vulnerable spots (locations made a little more vulnerable being close to e.g., sea or fresh water, volcanoes, faults etc.) it doesn't surprise me if we may see some 'dry-earth' (land) locations possibly being affected by EQ/tremor activities.
Again though, I am not implying that the Swansea (NSW) sinkhole is tremor related........

Since the larger quake in eastern Greece/western Turkey some days ago, the energy released (I feel) has been substantial enough to possibly energize or irritate other faults in a vast region of the Mediterranean (even back to as far as France, Poland etc.). Though this, I feel, is not the sole focal point/s of the energy being driven in and around this region and that of the north and NE regions of the north of Africa (including through Saudi Arabia, Israel, Egypt [etc.] lands (and surrounds) and over to Eastern Turkey/Iran/Pakistan etc.)

Anyway, I'll pop back later.

Cheers, Duck.

#1264954 - 29/05/2014 00:15 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi again.

So far it has been reasonably tame on the M5 EQ front.
A few have popped up in the moderately 'usual' places, but there were a couple of odd ones. One came up well north of Western Canada in/near the North Pole again and one at the northern tip of North Island of New Zealand.
The central east Pacific Rise came up with an M4+ and not long before Hawaii came up with a smaller tremor.

The Aegean Sea has reactivated somewhat, which is what I felt it might do. This region is not settled yet.

Chile and the west coast of the U.S. (California) are still very regular 'movers'. Both regions may go on in the short term to feel an M3+? (U.S.) and perhaps an M5+ near Chile (west coast of South America).

One of the M2+ tremors in Canada was a quarry blast.

Virginia, U.S., came up with another tremor, an M1.8, which perhaps shows that this region may be tending to be still vulnerable to another tremor - M3+??

The western side of the pacific, including the Philippines, may begin another 'run' of M5's.

Perhaps within the next couple of days we may see another M6 somewhere. This may be in the Pacific.

For now, Duck.

Edited by duckweather (29/05/2014 00:16)
Edit Reason: bit extra

#1265033 - 30/05/2014 10:21 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi folks.

The run of M5's I suspected may occur in the last 12 hours or so in the west of the Pacific did occur. In my mind's-eye I could see/feel that there was some energy pushing into this region, including the regions above Australia (Indonesia).

There has also been 'energy' lurking around the southern Indian Ocean, with EQ's coming up near Madagascar and much further south of this island.
Macquarie Island came up with an M5'ish, and this location - as with the southern Indian Ocean, came up with its EQ within a fairly close timeframe of the Indian Ocean one. Both of these quakes were again between the main continents and Antarctica. I feel that some of this energy may be coming up from the Southern Polar regions (could be wrong).

Speaking of the polar regions, the North Pole came up with another tremor - an M3+ I think it was. There has been some interesting activity up there, with a recent quake being in the range of M5 (?) and subsequent movements of a lesser magnitude. So I feel that in this region too, similar to the South Pole (Antarctica), there may be some pressures/energy lurking around there, which seems a little unusual by degrees (North Pole) regarding the usual daily/weekly runs of tremors/quakes.
NW Alaska, where there is still the odd tremor popping up (after-movememts from their larger tremor some time ago) is approximately 7000kms (?) from where there is that energy I have gabbled on about in the North Pole.

The Aegean Sea is still unsettled, as I felt it would be (previous post). I feel that in this general region (including over near Turkey or maybe back west towards Italy) there may be another moderate movement to come up soon. I also get a bit of a feeling that the Strait of Gibaraltar and the Canary Islands/Portugal may come up with an M4 (that's the number stuck in my mind).

Australia has had (according to Geoscience notings) a few less tremors in the last several days since the 'run' we had recently. Though several of the southern state's seismo's are still showing some very small jitters here and there, which, to me, indicates that there may be another movement brewing for SA, NSW or Vic (outside chance) in the near future. Tassie may also have an outside chance of a tremor like the others. My mind's-eye keeps getting drawn inland from the coast to a western side of a mountain range or perhaps on a plateau for a movement (could be wrong) of about an M3 or a little higher.

New Zealand has had some moderate EQ's come up at both ends of their country. This 'tells' me that the fault that runs from north of NZ, and down through the Cook Strait and all the way down to south of the South Island is quite active (not altogether an unusual thing) and I get a gut feeling that somewhere near the Cook Strait there may (or may not) be another tremor.

(Take all above with a pinch of salt - Icould be wrong with my feelings).

Anyway, for now,

Duck.

Edited by duckweather (30/05/2014 10:23)
Edit Reason: spelling once more

#1265195 - 31/05/2014 23:21 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi folks.

As I mentioned on the 29th, I felt there was going to be another M6 in the Pacific. I had Mexico and another location in the west of the Pacific in mind - but didn't want to say such in case I was wrong.
Mexico has come up with a shallow M6+ which may cause some water/sea disturbances mainly near the locations (coasts nearby) closest to the quake.
The quake appears to have centred near or in a trench.

I get a bit of a feeling that this larger quake may not be the last of the M6's or maybe even a slightly larger quake we may see in the Pacific in the next couple of days. I don't necessarily mean another may be in the Mexico region.

The Czech Republic and CR/Germany have come up with M4+'s in quick succession of each other - my guess maybe an associated/mutual fault is the culprit here or one fault has set off the other.

Oklahoma has had an M4 which is (luckily) a little less in size than the M5 I felt may occur there in the short term. This location is rumbling every day with more than one tremor seemingly and is a very curious situation. I feel for the folks there too - the constant rumbling there would 'do my head in'....

The South of France (off the coast) also came up with an M4+ apparently around the same time as the Germany and Czech quakes.

The west coast of the U.S. also came up with an M3+ I was anticipating it would.

Some seimo's in SA, Vic, and a couple of times a NSW seimo, have shown some interesting localized movements. I am waiting to see if Geoscience may register movements perhaps near Willalooka, Mount Gambier, Robe for example. I feel there may be some energy running around Mt Gambier and the great region of SA there. Near Hawker maybe in a similar 'boat'. (I could be wrong).

For some reason the date of the 2nd June (2014) is sticking with me. Also a location starting with the letter 'J' (as in Jeun- or Jer- for example) may come up with a movement....?
A new water contamination or something to do with a splashing water sound is niggling at me at the moment too....or maybe my imagination is just running atm.....
Maybe another volcano, apart from the Indonesian one which has shut down the Darwin airport (due to the ash cloud) could become a problem for air traffic as well as folks on the ground. One volcano or region around a volcano may go on to record a bout of noticable harmonic tremors, possibly causing scientists or others to wonder if an eruption is imminent.

As I always say (and you must be sick of me saying such), I may be wrong with my feelings/thoughts.

For now,
Duck.

Edited by duckweather (31/05/2014 23:22)

#1265209 - 01/06/2014 09:47 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi all.

Just a short post for now.

A couple of posts ago, I mentioned that I felt the west of the Pacific may experience a new run of M5's. Included in that mix I mentioned, in brackets, the Philippines.
I noted the Philippines especially, as I felt that, unfortunately, they were perhaps going to feel a new cluster of quakes. This EQ behaviour has/is occurring and seems to be similar cluster behaviour that the PNG/Solomon region experienced recently.
This behaviour is quite focused and , if I remember correctly, they have quite a major fault line in this region which emerged as a bit of a surprise some time ago.
Let's hope that these quakes are not causing problems for the folks there, as (in my mind) where you get constant rumblings, even over a short period, the movements may destabilize some vulnerable structures or other things.

Yellowstone, which I have been hinting at, has come up with an M3+ in the last couple of hours. Personally, I will be watching for possible follow on small movements in Washington...? Or other regions on the periphery of the Yellowstone (large) region...

For now, Duck.

Edited by duckweather (01/06/2014 09:48)

#1265251 - 01/06/2014 18:51 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi again (2nd post for today).

Just as I suspected may happen - Washington came up with a tremor almost 'straight after' the Yellowstone M3+.
Also, another region which I felt may follow on from Yellowstone were possibly one or two states south of it. This is not saying that the tremors in Oklahoma, Colorado and Kansas today (after Yellowstone's) are exactly related to Yellowstone's movement, but in my 'mind's-eye' their subsequent movements didn't surprise me.

Hawaii and the west coast of the U.S. (California) have 'gone-off' with small tremors almost in unison again. This too is not proving a relations between the two locations, but to me is just a curiosity.

The general regions of the Carribean and lower Central America (including Venuzuela) has shown some EQ/tremor activity - with tremors/EQ's coming up in fairly close timing. There may be another EQ of M4(+?) for one of these regions to come.

The Philippines seems to have settled for the moment, though I feel that Japan may come into the 'picture' with some movements soon.

I find it rather amazing that according to the Global Incident Map that Alaska has not registered any tremors/EQ's for a short while. I am obviously pleased for the Alaskans, as I wouldn't wish for tremors/EQ's to occur for any region.
But I feel that there may be an M4(+) brewing for this region, with some small tremors in the mix. (I could be very wrong).
The Canadian west coast, perhaps offshore, may also come up with a movement - maybe M3(+?).

I could be also very wrong in saying that I feel China may come up with an M5(+?).

The English Channel and/or somewhere over the British Isles, may come up with a small tremor....

For now,
Duck.

#1265255 - 01/06/2014 19:13 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Just to add onto my last post (ran out of time to edit), here's a link to tremors which have occurred in Alaska today-

Earthquake Track site - Alaska

Cheers, Duck.

#1265285 - 02/06/2014 12:13 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi folks.

Another short post for the moment.

The Philippines are still experiencing some movements and the general west of the Pacific Plate is still active.
The NE of the Indian Ocean has been quite active too. The regions north of Australia (other countries), including the span along from the NW and across to the NE of above Oz is quite active in a collective way.
I am guessing that the folks along the northern coasts of Oz may be feeling some of the movements closer to the Oz mainland.

Also, I have noticed some 'creeking' sounds in my house here and there. Though a couple of times the creeking sounds in the house frame have coincided with movements (albeit small) on local seismo's. There was another one here about 30 minutes ago. Mount Gambier (seismo) showed a very similar movement 20 minutes beforehand. I get a feeling that we in Vic. may not be out of the 'woods' yet for a small movement which may be felt by more people other than me sitting in a very quiet house, working on my computer smile .

Anyway, for now,
Duck.

Edited by duckweather (02/06/2014 12:13)

#1265394 - 03/06/2014 21:05 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Good evening folks.

Yellowstone is behaving as I anticipated it may. It has had 4 tremors just in the last hour, not forgetting the other tremors which have been occurring here and there till then.
The 'trend' I have mentioned (and not saying it is proof of a direct connection) for a while now, is that when Yellowstone flexes some muscle, the surrounding states (even at a distance) like washington and Oregon seem to follow on with small tremors. My feeling (and is not grounded in scientific knowledge) is that the energies emitted by Yellowstone seem to splay out in parts to these surrounding regions. It wouldn't surprise me if this energy also may upset some of the faults in some peripheral regions.

The west coast of the U.S. has come up with an M4 which I was anticipating too. There may be another M4 (+?) to come for a California region (maybe near Eureka or further south, either off the coast/near coast or in a waterway in-off the shore line [bay?]).

Just NW of Melbourne, a seismo registered a fairly sustained movement up until 45 minutes ago. This lasted for about 10 or so minutes and was varying in 'size' on the seismograph.

The Mediterranean is feeling tremors dotting here and there throughout - which is quite common for their tremor behaviours. Occaissionaly there is focused activity in one spot - e.g. eastern Greece/Western Turkey recently - or another, but generally speaking their EQ/tremor activity can pop up in several 'random' locations on any given day.

A couple of regions which I felt would experience EQ's were China (this is a big country, so stating "China" is very vague) and the Strait of Gibraltar came up with M4+'s.

On an unrelated note, if someone could tell me how to turn on spellcheck on Firefox [new computer] (I have tried what they have suggested - not working) I'd be grateful - Lazy Typer Duck blush
My tech-nerd kids are not here at the moment - I usually rely on them to help this daffy Duck sort out computer issues.

Cheers Dcuk (just kidding/spelling).

Edited by duckweather (03/06/2014 21:05)
Edit Reason: spellllling

Page 70 of 154 < 1 2 ... 68 69 70 71 72 ... 153 154 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 46 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Today's Birthdays
sharjay
Forum Stats
29947 Members
32 Forums
24194 Topics
1529247 Posts

Max Online: 2985 @ 26/01/2019 12:05
Satellite Image