NOTICE!

The Weatherzone forum has now closed and is in read-only mode until the 1st of November when it will close permanently. We would like to thank everyone who has contributed over the past 18 years.

If you would like to continue the discussion you can follow us on Facebook and Twitter or participate in discussions at AusWeather or Ski.com.au forums.

Page 113 of 154 < 1 2 ... 111 112 113 114 115 ... 153 154 >
Topic Options
#1378978 - 12/06/2016 12:59 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Town&country]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Wantirna, Vic
Hi Town&country and all.

It struck me, in my amateur viewing perspective, that we have seen a recent increase in activity in Oz. The multiple after-movements in and around the sites where the larger quakes have occurred, caught my eye. As I mentioned in a previous post, these after-movements seemed to be similar to after-movements we have witnessed in other parts of the world where there have been larger quakes with some solid energies to make the regions shift in the first place.

I have emailed Geoscience Australia, in a quest to see if they can offer any information on our recent quakes [and what I perceive to possibly be an uptick for Oz]. I haven't done this because I am panicking about what has been going on [quakes], but just to see if they could enlighten 'us' as to what their thoughts may be. Will wait for their response wink

Thanks Town&country for your comment on my posts/ramblings wink I have been a little absent from this thread lately due to other distractions. This has caused me to lose 'touch' somewhat with what is going on around the globe - earthquake wise.

I mentioned a little while back about Central America as a place I was 'watching' for activity. There has been some concerted energy there, which [I feel] may have also had an influence of the M5 and all of the after-movements that have occurred in the U.S. [Borrego Springs, California, NW of the Saltan Sea]. Off-shore [west] of Canada has been niggling with the pressures, I feel may, be running up from the west coast of the U.S. - all major faults may be involved....

The great stretch from the west of the Mediterranean, all the way over to the Caspian Sea (near Azerbaijan) is quite active at.. Somewhere in this massive region may see an M5+ in the near future.

The Himalayas; the countries north of Australia; the Aleutian Islands...to name a few...are quite active too atm..

Near the English Channel - France side atm. - is still active. I feel this has helped some small tremors pop up in the British Isles recently (and potentially still).

Japan too, is coming up with a reasonable run of M5'ish's and may go on to feel an M6 - if not near the coast, possibly in the Volcanic Island regions to the SE.

The Caribbean - following through from Central America - is reasonably active with moderate (M3+) tremors atm.. They may [or may not] go on to feel an M4+...?

Here's an interesting link - with info I have always suspected to be the case - regarding the Earth's plates etc..

Research suggests major changes to geology textbooks Posted by TW on June 11, 2016

Cheers for now, Duck.

Edited by duckweather (12/06/2016 13:00)

#1378993 - 12/06/2016 19:45 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
stormy_bec Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Kimberley Station Qld
I know nothing of earthquakes but I'm fascinated since I've started reading your posts duck. I maybe quiet but I'm still reading. Just thought I'd let you know there are others who do read what your thoughts are 😄

#1379001 - 12/06/2016 23:17 Re: Earthquakes [Re: stormy_bec]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi folks.

We just had a decent tremor here. Apparently an M3+. Windows and roof rattled and animals went silly.

We had a small jolt before this one about an hour ago. Geoscience has registered the latter as a M3+ epicentred in Gippsland at this stage. Actually Bass Strait. I mentioned the possibility of this occurring a couple of posts ago.

P.s. Thanks stormy_bec, much appreciated wink

For now, Duck.

Edited by duckweather (12/06/2016 23:21)
Edit Reason: extra

#1379029 - 13/06/2016 11:51 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi folks.

We just had another sharp/short jolt here. It was like a large tree trunk had fallen on the ground, but there are no trees going down around here atm.. The thud was on the east side of the house (facing the Dandenong Ranges). Felt it through the floor too. Nothing has shown up on seismo's NW of Melbourne or in Narracan/Gippsland...??

There are some small jitters on the NW/Melbourne seismo though, but not enough at the moment to show a small jolt tremor.

The near/Hamley Bridge (SA) seismo is currently showing some interesting movements, here - mappage

There maybe an outside chance that Vic may go on to feel another tremor...? But time will tell. Something doesn't feel right here. I could be wrong.

For now, Duck.

Edited by duckweather (13/06/2016 11:51)

#1379150 - 14/06/2016 21:00 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi folks.

As I thought may occur, Colwyn Bay in North Wales [UK} has had an M1.9 tremor. Last year an M3 struck near the same region. According to this report,
Quote:
Gwynedd is the Welsh county to have the most earthquakes in the last 15 years, statistics have shown.

Australia still has some movement to 'give' with the Petermann Ranges [NT] coming up with another M3+. I will say there will be more movements to come for Australia.

The western side of the Pacific has re-energized with quakes, and Japan (SSE of) came up with a quake [M5+] I was anticipating. The region around the 'hinge' [around Fiji and surrounding islands] is quite active currently.

South of Tasmania - west Indian-Antarctic Ridge - came up with an M5 today. The SW Indian Ridge [SE of Madagascar] is also active atm..

The Indian Ocean is sneaking a quake in here and there too.

Central America is active - with energy [I feel] being driven in and across to, not only the Caribbean, but up the west coast of the America's. There was also an M4+ in Montana - west of Yellowstone. Some folks over 'there' are concerned that Yellowstone may be playing up on the peripheries.

The Himalayas are playing up as I felt they would, with the west, east and middle [Nepal] coming up with movements.

Some of our seismo's in Vic [especially atm] and SA are showing some small movements sporadically atm.. here

An M6 [+?], I feel, is brewing in the Pacific....
There may also be another in an almost opposite location...?

For now, Duck.

Edited by duckweather (14/06/2016 21:00)

#1379250 - 16/06/2016 10:26 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi folks.

Recently I emailed a duty seismologist at Geoscience, Australia, querying our recent 'spate' of tremors and quakes, which I felt may have represented a bit of an uptick in number and size.

I am very pleased to say that Eddie Leask has kindly replied to my email with some info for us all [**I have permission from him to quote what he has written in the return email].

Bulk of my email to Geoscience;
Quote:

Dear Geoscience,

I am an amateur observer of the earthquakes and tremor activity around the planet, but am particularly interested in our own [Australia's] tremor and earthquake activity.

I am involved with the commentary on Weatherzone [Aus] "earthquake" thread, where interested persons, like myself, discuss earthquake activity and the potential of where tremors may occur; the impact of such and so on.

Australia seems to have encountered an uptick of slightly larger tremors than usual recently, and the number of these quakes/tremors seems to also have increased by degrees. Given what 'we' [on the "earthquake thread"] seem to think we may be observing for Australia in increased activity, would Geoscience Australia be able to offer our interest group, or be able to share with us, any ideas or information you can on what your scientific perspective is on this seemingly increased activity? Is this unusual tremor/earthquake activity or could this just be 'cyclical' or nothing to be concerned about?

I, as a contributor to the "earthquake" thread on Weatherzone Australia, have been asked questions from other posters as to my opinion on the above-mentioned activity. As I am an amateur observer, I feel I am not really in a position to offer up any science on this topic. I can only speculate with my opinions and always remind the thread followers that I am only an amateur in my observations and I may be incorrect with such.

**Eddie Leask - Duty Seismologist return email;

Quote:
Hi Louise

Simply put yes we have had some large earthquakes in Australia so far this year, but this is not unusual and it includes the first Mag 6 (Petermann Ranges NT) we have had in Australia since 1997 (just Offshore Collier Bay, WA) and before that we had 3 inland Mag 6ís in 12hr in 1998 (Tennent Creek NT). Going back through our history we have only had 19 Mag 6+ events in recorded history (earliest M6 in 1873), many of the early magnitudes were based on felt reports not seismic instruments and many of them are offshore. So when it comes to large events in Australia we just donít have a long or comprehensive history (unlike Japan or New Zealand), and this means that we donít have a clear expected return period. On average we have had about 2 Mag 5ís a year and 1 Mag 6 a decade, but that represents past results not future performance. I see this as just part of the natural seismicity of Australia, while the magnitude 6 in the Petermann Ranges was the largest recorded in the area, it was an area where many earthquakes had been recorded in the past, so larger but not out of place.

I hope all this helps and you may quote me

Eddie Leask

Duty Seismologist

Geoscience Australia

For now, Duck wink

#1379270 - 16/06/2016 15:02 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi folks again for today.

Just deviating from earthquakes for just a moment, have a look at the massive waves which have hit Bali.....

First of all - the initial warning on the 7th June 2016 by "indo surf life" [Indonesia] - Warning for High Waves Until June 10, 20...ay, 7 June 2016

then....look what happened below. Note that 2 people have sadly lost their lives, according to the latest news, as they were swept away.

For now, Duck.

#1379491 - 18/06/2016 12:47 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
Mad Elf #1.5 Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Mt Hallen QLD
Seems we had a bit of a shake, 2.7, near Kilcoy SEQ this morning.
A few reports of upset dogs.

#1379564 - 18/06/2016 23:51 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Mad Elf #1.5]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi Mad Elf and all.

Yes, you did feel a tremor (Geoscience recorded it at the size you mentioned) currently pegged at a depth of 0kms (prelim). This would have been felt by a few folks, I would imagine.

Not far from me there was a tremor of just under M2 just a few minutes ago, in/near the Wandin region. Prior to this, I observed a slight movement here and some awesome rib clouds directly above the region near the tremor (not guaranteeing these clouds were related to the tremor) which dissipated after the tremor. Vic may yet be in for another tremor greater than M2....but don't quote me on that...I could be wrong.

As I have rattled on about recently, Australia, more-so in the lower half of Oz and the east coast may feel more tremors. I just don't think we are out of the 'woods' yet, as I feel there may be energy lurking in a few places now. Will have to wait and see where and when.

For now, Duck.

#1379659 - 19/06/2016 12:26 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi folks.

On the 6/6/16 I mentioned;
Quote:
An area in South Oz may go on to feel a 'maybe' M4. Though this energy may also be somewhere near Kangaroo Island?

This region has just come up with an M4.7 at 27kms deep [prelim].

I just felt that energy was lurking around this region for some time now, and that something was going to 'give'. When I mention my suspicions about a region, it doesn't mean it will necessarily come up within minutes or hours, it can be that it takes some time for it to 'give', as was this case. The Antarctic Ridges have been harboring some energy, giving off quakes recently, so there may have been a 'push' from this region to help the quake in Kangaroo Island. Some of the energy in lower Australia may also be coming up from the Antarctic Ridge - but I am not sure.

For now, Duck.

#1379809 - 19/06/2016 18:24 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
BIG T Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Albany Creek , QLD
Your the man duck, keep up the good work. . 4.7 is not bad. Them little penguins wouldve been [censored] themselves , nice place ki. Meanwhile at my joint no tremors but a decent ole deluge. 150mm so far in last 3 hrs. Still chuckin it.

#1379883 - 19/06/2016 22:19 Re: Earthquakes [Re: BIG T]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi all again for today.

Cheers BIG T wink I'd say the wildlife may have been a bit bug-eyed when that quake hit. That rain up your way and elsewhere is crazy in some spots - stay safe. Some are experiencing cyclonic-type conditions and flooding worse than the last system.

Have a look at the latest list of "last 30 days" of quakes/tremors in Oz - here - Geoscience - welcome to Australia wink the land groaning-under [land down under]. I still can't help but think we do have a wee little uptick in tremors/quakes at the moment.
That hinge in the Pacific (near Fiji, Vanuatu etc.) that I sometimes rattle on about has been on my radar for an M6 and some other good movements recently. In my mind's-eye, I see that the whole of the 'edges' of our plate - north, NE and east is on the move in a bit of a burst atm.. Equally, I feel that the lower part of our plate (along the Antarctic Ridge) is following on with a drag to the north/NE.....this of course, as I said, is in my mind's-eye and is not of scientific knowledge or base.
Something else which may be a 'bit-out-there' in thoughts, is I wonder if this movement [in last paragraph] may also pull the 'left side' of the NZ islands northish - leaving the right side of the NZ islands semi-stationary sometimes - causing quakes along the fault that runs up through their two islands? This then heads into the Kermadec Islands and around Tonga [+ surrounds] and around the the 'hinge' sometimes?
Sometimes I come up this these strange/alternative thoughts and to put them 'out there' may draw some giggles from some - I know smile That's ok - I am an ol' hippy Duck wink

Anyway, with all of the activity around and in Oz currently there may be a chance of another M6 or higher in the Pacific. The depths are all over the place and rather interesting. A very deep quake may come up near Fiji or a shallower one near PNG....? Time will tell.

For now, Duck.

#1380038 - 21/06/2016 10:18 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
perrywinkle Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Warrawee Valley
Bit of a bang and rumble here at 10:14 am EST.

#1380250 - 23/06/2016 09:10 Re: Earthquakes [Re: perrywinkle]
perrywinkle Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Warrawee Valley
More bangs and rumbles...apparently underground expressway works being done about 4 km away. Wouldn't want to live close to it. Also wonder what all that vibration does to natural fault lines.

#1380271 - 23/06/2016 10:24 Re: Earthquakes [Re: perrywinkle]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi perrywinkle wink

Just a quicky post from me...

We also get some quiet bangs and rumbles here occasionally too. Trying to work out what they are is tricky sometimes. But I reckon also, that if you have had a recent quake/tremor in your area [and if there is no quarry or freeway blasting going on for instance] then it is quite possible some of these rumbles can be after-movements [and can be pre-tremor movements too] from a tremor. It is just that sometimes the tiny after-movements are not publicly registered on EQ maps here.
But, as you say, you could possibly suspect that the earthworks involved with any road/freeway construction can send off vibrations, jolts and noises too.

Quarry and earthworks blasts, I would guess, could have an affect on vulnerable nearby faults in some rare cases, Sometimes, in some countries, these activities are carried out next to or on top of faults [go figure crazy].

Anyway, may catch up later or tomorrow.

Cheers, Duck.

#1380613 - 25/06/2016 11:25 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi folks.

There has been some good general movement/s in the main plate edges across the whole globe recently/currently. The Atlantic region has revved up a bit with quakes all the way from near Iceland - all the way down to the near the South Sandwich Islands (above Antarctica). The quakes are dotting along the Mid-Atlantic Ridge and is quite active in the Mid to northern reaches atm..

Apparently a volcano in Iceland is "ready to go". There have been quakes creeping towards this area in the Mid-Atlantic Ridge, which runs through Iceland.
Another volcanic region which is niggling at the moment is Yellowstone. The peripheral regions/states of Yellowstone are also showing tremors dotting here and there.

There is some concern that the San Andreas Fault line is "locked and loaded" [not my words] to potentially set off a major quake if the impetus for it to move more is offered via a good push from the potential energy coming in from the south, north and east [I am guessing].
The new Madrid Faulting region [and peripheries] is/are showing continuing and sporadic irritation - throwing up tremors in the U.S. states which are generally located along its breadth. I have a way-out thought that the San Andreas and possibly the New Madrid are not just fault lines, but non-minor plate edges [but that is my feeling only - so pinch-of-salt folks].

I have often prattled on about The far east of lower Canada - being the waterways that are of the St. Lawrence region - which snake back through Canada [in places is the border with the U.S.]. This too has shown sporadic tremors coming up here and there.

A buoy, east of the east coast of the U.S. - approximately east of Philadelphia/New York, has been 'going-off' in recent days [it is currently settled]. I am unaware of any tremors coming up on the maps for this region [correct me if I am wrong or have missed any]. There are volcanic mounds, at sea, which track back generally to this region - which is just south of the Georges Bank [a shelf in the ocean there]. What caused the buoy to go off twice in the last few days - I dunno - but something was triggering them there [was there a big weather system happening in that time??]

Australia has settled a little. WA has come up with the latest [recorded] tremors. SA and maybe NSW may be the next ones to pop up with tremors. But you never know, a surprise region may come up with a tremor yet.

Japan came up with some M5+ (one was an M6+) quakes and had been one to watch. The western and northern Pacific has been and may still be quite irritated.

Several other regions I have recently suspected as being ones which may come up with quakes - have been showing up with movements. For example the Himalayas [dotted along the breadth of], Japan, NZ, UK, Central America/+Caribbean, around the 'hinge' in the Pacific, PNG - to name a few.

For now, Duck.

#1380894 - 28/06/2016 11:40 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi folks.

Just a quicky post for now....

Something I haven't seen for a long time on the Global Incident Map/Earthquakes is only 2 quakes/tremors being recorded on there for 6 hours, wow.
I am sure there will be small tremors being recorded on various 'international' seismo centres, but such a gap in posted quakes/tremors on the Global Map is quite incredible.
Global Incidents Maps/Earthquakes

Australia has come up with some tremors I anticipated a few days ago, and some more in NT and WA. A few more may pop up yet.

I get a feeling that there may be a rather large quake on the horizon yet....

For now, Duck.

#1381205 - 04/07/2016 11:33 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi folks - finally back this week.

Just summing up a bit, there has been some concerted, sneaky and small energy - causing tremors in the Aegean Sea (Mediterranean). The west/SW side of Turkey has been quite active with small movements. There has also been a very clear 'arc' of activity around the eastern side of Turkey - near Iran, Iraq, Syria regions too.

Gibraltar region has momentarily quietened. Italy has pooped up with a couple of tremors. Most of the Mediterranean activity has been in the northern reaches of the Mediterranean Sea and surrounds. Given some time, there may be more activity in the southern reaches - emanating from the northern coast regions of Africa. In the middle of all of this potential may be a tremor in the lower Italian regions or Greece? This may include near Malta? and/or Crete?

South America (along the western and NW side) is very active. Chile or a nearby region may go on to feel an M5+(+?).

The U.S. (North America) has been interesting. The west coast has had tremors creeping into the coast + inland. Alternatively this energy may also be coming out to the west from the east, as well as from the south. Yellowstone, as I suspected, has been quite active with tremors too.

Central America (blending into the Caribbean at times) has been on my 'radar' for some time. It is showing that [Central America particularly] is still quite active. There may be a small chance of an M5+ in this region soon.

The Atlantic, the Southern Ocean (below Australia and just north of Antarctica) and the Indian Ocean have been reasonably active too with M5's. This 'says' to me that the major plate edges have been getting a slight 'shuffle' going on lately.

Australia is still feeling the odd 'wave' of energy, causing some runs of tremors in the southern half of the continent. Though there must have been (and may still be) enough energy being driven into the continent to have caused the QLD and NT tremors.

Recently [a couple of days ago], a buoy west of the lowest SW tip of NZ Sth. Island and WSW of Tasmania [closer to NZ though] was in event mode for some time - in the Tasman Sea.

The Indonesian coastlines - north of Australia and all along the breath of the Indonesian provinces - up to near Myanmar - have been and is active currently.

In my mind, it is a little too quiet in the western side of the Pacific (according to what is showing up on the Global Incident Map/EQ's). We may see a revving up of tremors and a few M4+'s, perhaps with an M5++, very soon (within the next few days). It looks like, for the moment, that the global energy has focused on the east of the Pacific; western China through to the Mediterranean. Indonesia is in the 'middle'.

Take all I say with the usual pinch-of-salt. My observations and feelings may be wrong folks.

For now, Duck.

#1381653 - 08/07/2016 11:25 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi folks.

Gosh, it pays to proof read my posts sometimes blush
I wrote in my last post -
Quote:
Italy has pooped up with a couple of tremors.

My apols to Italy. It should have read - "Italy has popped up with a couple of tremors
Silly, daffy Duck.

As I mentioned in last post, the western side of the Pacific was "too quiet". As it happened, it revved up again with some good quakes from South Korea - and in various countries - down to Indonesia [across the top of Oz and north of Queensland - other countries].

Nepal has not had just one niggly quake [M4'ish], but several in the last 16 hours. I hope this is not an indicator of energy building in this general region for a larger quake. Alternatively, it may be that the energy causing these M4+ quakes is just a release or dispersed in various spots along the Himalayan 'ridge'.

As I thought may occur, the west coast region of the U.S. has given off some quake energy in Nevada [200 miles inland from the coast] - with a few tremors and an M4.6 about an hour and a half ago.

Offshore western Canada's plates have been niggled by the energy too, throwing up [not pooping] some tremors. I wonder of this energy may be heading north as well and push up into the Gulf of Alaska?

Scotland/British region has been coming up the the odd M1+/2 in very recent times. I feel that this energy may not only and possibly be coming in from the Atlantic by small degrees, but possibly from the east/SE [English Channel and France????].

I knew Tonga's quake was going to crop up yesterday. I was showing one of my kids the seismo reading from SA, Vic and NSW [but mainly SA], and there were intermittent and non same-timing small readings in all of the seismo's. I told my son that this energy may be a precursor to a quake to the east of QLD - in the Pacific Islands and possibly Tonga - and I was right. Within 10 minutes or some more of the readings, Tonga came up with a quake.
I have noticed this jittery Australia seismo movement series before, and sure enough this particular pattern has occurred before quakes in the Pacific Islands.
There is an alternative pattern [movements signatures] which sometimes happens as [my perceived] possible precursors for quakes to the north of Australia too.

Anyway, for the moment, Duck.

Edited by duckweather (08/07/2016 11:27)
Edit Reason: my spelling is getting worse - lol

#1381713 - 08/07/2016 20:13 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi again folks, for today.

A couple of posts ago I mentioned;
Quote:
Australia has come up with some tremors I anticipated a few days ago, and some more in NT and WA. A few more may pop up yet.

I get a feeling that there may be a rather large quake on the horizon yet....

In that post, the above comment was referring to Australia - particularly the NT or WA.
The tremor behaviour in WA [where this M5+ has occurred just now] was the most suspect in my mind, due to recent activity there. But the NT was another region where, like WA, given recent tremor activity there was a chance for a larger tremor/quake to come up perhaps. Just my thoughts.

The WA quake seemed to occur in two waves. Maybe a double 'slip'.

For now, Duck.

Page 113 of 154 < 1 2 ... 111 112 113 114 115 ... 153 154 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 35 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Today's Birthdays
Ben, Enriquez, Goody, Ken Langdon, msp, Summer?, weather freak
Forum Stats
29947 Members
32 Forums
24194 Topics
1529243 Posts

Max Online: 2985 @ 26/01/2019 12:05
Satellite Image