NOTICE!

The Weatherzone forum has now closed and is in read-only mode until the 1st of November when it will close permanently. We would like to thank everyone who has contributed over the past 18 years.

If you would like to continue the discussion you can follow us on Facebook and Twitter or participate in discussions at AusWeather or Ski.com.au forums.

Page 114 of 154 < 1 2 ... 112 113 114 115 116 ... 153 154 >
Topic Options
#1382101 - 12/07/2016 18:32 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Wantirna, Vic
Hi folks.

Been fighting with my computer to get it to unfreeze [commands]. So this is a short post for now just to mention I felt the tremor which epicentered in Korumburra very early this morning - M2 at 15kms deep [prelim].
Now off to be 'unkind' to my computer - sort of. May need an overhaul I'm guessing....

Cheers for now, Duck.

#1382391 - 15/07/2016 12:57 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi folks.

Australia is still experiencing spurts of energy being released [tremors/quakes] in WA and SA. There is obviously still some pent up energy or energy being driven into or around these regions. Even the Petermann Ranges [NT] has been niggled enough to come up with another tremor on the 9th July [M3.3 at 0kms deep].
Most of Australia's tremors/quakes have been very shallow - mostly at 0kms deep [surface shifts]. SA tremors, including one in Vic and WA, have been the deepest at about 13kms. I see [in my mind's eye] that SA's deeper tremors are possibly due to a deep fault which may originate in the eastern side of the Great Australian Bight - heading up the Spencer Gulf -> up through Port Augusta -> and through to Arkaroola region. Then I think it may squiggle of around Lake Eyre and several other places.
And possibly another fault east of Adelaide [running up from the south] -> possibly meeting up with a fault near Port Augusta....? I could be wrong folks.

Victoria [a seismo near NNW Melbourne] seems to be picking up some tiny movements currently, and one very tiny niggle on a seismo in Gippsland.

There may be more tremors to come for Vic, SA, WA and I reckon that the Petermann Ranges [NT] may also come up with another tremor - given the activity in the southern states of Oz currently.

NSW may come into the tremor 'picture' soon, as may QLD...? Tassie is sitting pretty solidly [generally calm of tremors] in the 'middle' of all of Oz's activity.

Geoscience [last 7 days] for Australia here

Geoscience [last 30 days] for Australia here

As you can see by these Geoscience EQ maps, Australia is and has been quite active lately.

Of course there are other locations around the planet which are coming up with some tremors and larger quakes. I still feel an M7[+?] may occur soon somewhere. More on other regions later.

For now, Duck.

Edited by duckweather (15/07/2016 12:58)
Edit Reason: spelling again

#1382688 - 18/07/2016 16:59 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
Petar @ Sdny Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: South West Sydney
An interesting swarm taking place in Central California near the township of Ridgemark and Tres Pinos. Largest tremor of the swarm has been a 3.9. Nevada and Utah also showing up with some 2.8-3.2 magnitudes too.

Central Caifornian Swarm details using Earthquake.com

#1382895 - 20/07/2016 21:06 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
Petar @ Sdny Offline
Weather Freak

Continuation of moderate tremor activity along California. Some quakes have reached 4.4 magnitude along Northern Cali and Central California.

#1382903 - 20/07/2016 23:10 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Petar @ Sdny]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi Petar and all - finally.

Those California quakes/tremors seem to be showing a 'snag' along the San Andreas faulting region. The energy driving these tremors may gravitate north to perhaps near and maybe offshore of northern California eventually [SW offshore of Eureka]. The mountain ranges, running parallel to the west coast are also involved with the many movements lately. Some of the 'younger' energy seems to be travelling up the eastern side of the lands surrounding the San Francisco Bay area. This then seems to be hovering around [further north] the Coastal Ranges - just north of Santa Rosa.

Into the Gulf of Alaska [on land mainly] - there has been regular tremor activity too. They may see an M4 yet.

Australia is still reasonably active currently, though a touch quieter in the last couple of days. NSW came up with the tremor I was anticipating, but QLD hasn't.

Japan, which has been on my 'radar' for a while, has been feeling several decent quakes around it's eastern coastline recently. I wonder if this activity is hinting at an M5+[?].

The Gulf of St Lawrence [waterway in eastern Canada] is showing some small niggles currently. There may be a couple more tremors to come for this vast region.

The Mediterranean has been rather 'busy' with tremors and thankfully hasn't had an M5+ I felt may have been on the cards for the eastern side of the Mediterranean Sea.

Gibraltar or northern Algeria may crop up with a tremor [m3+] to kick off some more movements north of there - towards Italy and Spain/Portugal.

Western France/ and near Jersey->London regions may be slightly irritated currently and a tremor may come up in or near the English Channel.

As I have been very busy this week, I haven't been focused on where energies may be emanating from or travelling to elsewhere on the big blue marble [Earth]. But I feel there may be a larger quake on the horizon.....

For now, Duck.

#1383073 - 22/07/2016 21:41 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi folks.

As I thought would happen, the Petermann Ranges in the NT have come up with another tremor - M3+.

I felt that SW of Eureka [US west coast] would come up with a quake, but the quake came up just a smidgen SE of Eureka on land.

Australia is still rocking away with tremors in NSW and I think SA has just had an M3? We will see more tremors pop up yet, and maybe some of the energy may filter into Vic.. I was going to say that Berridale in NSW could be a spot for a small tremor - as that 'B' word was sticking in my mind for NSW or a 'B' name in Victoria. Additionally, I have quietly thought that near Broome [WA] may also come up with a tremor?

For now, Duck.

#1383343 - 26/07/2016 18:50 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
BIG T Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Albany Creek , QLD
Vanuatu represents with an M6.plus a bit of recent activity up png north coast area.

#1383411 - 27/07/2016 18:23 Re: Earthquakes [Re: BIG T]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi folks.
Sorry to have been a bit quiet on the EQ thread, but have been busy.

Anyway, yes BIG T, there has been some decent 'action' in the Pacific around Vanuatu and surrounds. I get a feeling that there may be a 'set-up' brewing for a larger quake in the Pacific at the moment. It just feels that there is something lurking around the 'edges' of the plates in the Pacific. Lower South America's larger M6+ and those in the west of the Pacific may be a sign of such possible energy. I tend to think that when Fiji, Tonga and other place in the west Pacific come up with some M5's...and...the SE Pacific comes up with a larger quake, that there may be a chance of a large movement somewhere.
The quakes below Australia recently, I also add into this picture regarding energy on the planet.

The Atlantic has been throwing up a few M5's and Iceland has come back in the 'picture' with an M4.4.

When considering the overall global twitch at the moment, the current temperament of the planet (and what is influencing many of the quakes - especially near or on plate edges and coastal edges [like Sth America west]) there may be that large quake to occur - if not in the Pacific - it could be elsewhere. Other potential regions could be Central America [west coastal regions], Himalayas somewhere, NW Pacific or maybe even the Sth Sandwich Islands. But one cannot be sure of course. A larger quake could come up in none of the places I have mentioned, and my thoughts could be very wrong.

Australia may pick up some more energy to help produce some niggles in a few places. Kangaroo Island or somewhere else may come up with a tremor....

Take what I say with a pinch-of-salt, as I may be way off with my perspective currently.

For now, Duck.

Edited by duckweather (27/07/2016 18:23)
Edit Reason: spelling again

#1383502 - 28/07/2016 23:34 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
perrywinkle Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Warrawee Valley
B - Bathurst - Cadia to start up again?

#1383552 - 29/07/2016 21:22 Re: Earthquakes [Re: perrywinkle]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi folks.

I am going to dedicate this post to a friend and amazing ex-USGS scientist who passed away today in America.
Jim Berkland was a genius and passionate scientist in the field of geology, who believed, as I do, that many earthquakes can be predicted by varying degrees. He, of course, was much more clever in this field than I am or ever will be.
His passing is a great loss to many who followed him, read his works and believed in him. I will definitely miss him as a gentleman, a very interesting person, a kind man and one with a wonderful soul.
This article below, was posted in the Sonoma Index-Tribune.

Earthquake prognosticator and Glen Ellen raconteur Jim Berkland dies at 85

R.I.P. Jim

#1383554 - 29/07/2016 21:40 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Sorry folks. I meant to say that Jim passed away last Friday [US time]. I also lost another friend today [also in the US] and have been a bit side-lined today.
Duck.

#1383604 - 30/07/2016 23:00 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi folks.

That large M7.9 quake in the western Pacific was relative to the energy I was thinking was lurking on the planet at the moment.
A little while ago, I mentioned that I thought somewhere in or near the Volcanic Islands - south of Japan - may be a region where a larger quake could occur. The near M8 was within this region. But more recently, I mentioned that this sizable energy may pop up in one of potential several places. I felt that when the larger quakes [M6, M6+] start popping up along the west coast of South America and almost simultaneously with parts of the western Pacific [e.g. around the Pacific Islands - hinge general regions] that there is a chance of a very large quake being driven [energy] possibly into the NW of the greater Pacific Ocean region. This has occurred.
Also, to see what I rattled on about with my persistent suspicion of a very large quake occurring, check my previous posts.

Sometimes one M7+ can be accompanied over a short period of time by another elsewhere. For example, this can throw up enough of a 'foundation rattle' or be evident of enough energy around to upset other locations fault or where the major plates meet. In the past, I have sometimes seen a 'pattern' where another larger quake can come up perhaps along the Aleutian Islands chain or near Japan or Kamchatka [Russia] or Alaska or near Central America.....

Sometimes there has been a different 'pattern' where the energy is driven from around the islands of the western Pacific and through/across the top of the Australian Plate [Indonesia, PNG etc] west to and through near Myanmar - through the Himalayas and towards the far west of the Himalayas [Tajikistan or surrounding countries].

Sometimes are follow on large quake turns up on an 'opposite' location - either on almost the other side of the planet or the opposite side of an ocean.

What locations end up coming up with follow on quakes can [I feel] depend on what is causing the large quakes [and pre or post M5's] to occur. In other words - what is the driver of the energy causing the quakes and how much of a area of the planet is this energy isolated to - or size of the area and possible depth it is affecting.

The Mariana Islands large quake and the follow on M5.4 around Vanuatu were of the same depth at about 200kms deep. Coincidence or related to each other? I think the latter.

I was going to mention something else, but it has slipped my mind for the moment.....

Hey perrywinkle. The recent three NSW tremors have run mainly parallel to the coast and east of Bathurst. But it is possible that the Cadia system could respond to some of the energy subtly niggling at the east of NSW currently. I feel that Victoria's latest tremor may have been related to the energy which caused the NSW tremors recently. Those "B"s I think of sometimes feel like [look like in my mind's eye] a pin/point in a cork board - associated with potential locations. 'C's sometimes poke at me too occasionally.

Pinch-of-salt with all I say folks. My 'feelings' radar can be quite off sometimes. wink

For now, Duck.

#1383779 - 01/08/2016 21:58 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
Petar @ Sdny Offline
Weather Freak

Vale Jim. I knew of his work and I respected him and his work fully.

#1383781 - 01/08/2016 22:01 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
Petar @ Sdny Offline
Weather Freak

Indonesia, Savu Sea and Sunda Strait are particularly active recently.

Myanmar threw up a moderate 5.2 magnitude as well.

#1383799 - 02/08/2016 10:48 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Petar @ Sdny]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi Petar and all.

Yes Petar, Jim had many followers and some were blessed also to have had the pleasure of knowing him personally. He will be missed and I hope his work/s continue to shine a light on the 'stories' of earthquakes and the science surrounding such.

Regarding the quakes in Indonesia, this particular set of quakes [including the one in Myanmar] seems to have followed a bit of a pattern, similar to what I mentioned in a previous post as a possibility for where the energy/quakes may pop up after the biggy quake in the Mariana's Islands. Interestingly too, the Indian Ocean quakes have coincidentally timed with the Indonesian, NW of Australia and the Myanmar quakes.
The push for some of these quakes [Indian Ocean] may be emanating from the north of Antarctica or a pull on the E/central/NE region of the plates in the Indian Ocean - heading in a NE direction [carrying the Australian Plate to the N/NE and into Indonesia]. Just a feeling....
This push may have helped create the quake off the coast of Australia [NW of WA coast] where the 'energy' may have caused a squeeze or pressure on a fault/trench[?] - where the upper crust may have been pushing in from the SW/S and jamming up a bit before where the upper Oz Plate meets Indonesia - just a thought.

With all of the activity north of the Oz mainland and in Indonesia, a volcano has gone off [as you may have heard in the news] though not so bad it seems to have caused any major disruption to air traffic.
Speaking of volcanoes, if we see a continued run of quakes near and south of Japan [into the regions surrounding the Volcanic Islands etc.] we may even see some activity of sorts in an undersea volcano or one on-land somewhere.

The earthquake activity to our north may kick-off some more tremors in the south of our continent. I would also say that there is a slim chance that an odd spot here and there along our coastlines around Oz may be irritated in small amounts - possibly enough to produce the odd tremor.....just a feeling.

After the big [Mariana's] quake the other day, another 'pattern' I have mentioned in the past, as possibly occurring - which seemed to happen, was an almost immediate response on the faults along the west coast of the U.S.. It seems that the agitation caused by the big quake may have been enough to have set off tremors along the west coast [US], which is an area that has been rather unsettled recently.

Gibraltar has had an M4, as I mentioned in a past post that this region may have in current times.

I haven't checked NZ's quake counts/sizes yet, but I am thinking that the quakes happening from the Kermadecs and up through the western regions of the Pacific, may send off some energy down through NZ or past lower NZ to between Tasmania and NZ - just further south - or maybe even south of Oz and/or Oz/Tassie..???

There is always more to rattle on a about, but I don't want ot bore you with too much type to read smile

Anyway, always take what I say with that 'pinch-of-salt' folks. I may be wrong with what I say.

For now, Duck.

P.s. I meant to mention that Alaska is also niggling with quakes/tremors atm. They may go on to feel an M5+ [an M4.2 has just come up near the region I mentioned may see an M5'ish may occur].

Edited by duckweather (02/08/2016 10:51)
Edit Reason: bit extra

#1384116 - 06/08/2016 11:15 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi folks.

Last night's tremor in Vic [Arawata - M1.9 at 5kms deep prelim] falls into the picture I have 'painted' where along the coastal regions of our continent where there may be some tremors pop up here and there.
These tremors [including NSW and SA particularly] seem to be skirting along near coastal regions, just inland. If you have a look at Goescience maps here you will see what I mean.
Some part of WA may also be feeling the affects of possible energy coming in from the ocean regions.

The Japanese Volcanic region had a larger quake I have been anticipating recently. As did the South Sandwich Islands.

Though these quakes [larger ones] were quite substantial, I still feel that we will see a larger quake emerge near a plate junction at sea or near/on a coastline somewhere.

Hawaii is continually rattling along with tremors atm.. I feel this is all volcano related. The island is showing up with some beautiful lava flows currently.

The Canadian west coastal region [and just out to sea] is niggling with the energy being tossed around the Pacific at the moment. And, may also be being affected by energy running up from the United States.

The Atlantic Ridge is still niggling here and there and may yet throw up a few M5's.

The regions of Afghanistan, Tajikistan and Kyrgyzstan are coming up with quakes I anticipated [near the far western end of the Himalayan Ranges. Though, I think eventually we may see another quake pop up near Nepal at some point. Nepal is having some challenges with landslides and there are some areas there which are high alert for multiple or a couple of landslides which may be an issue for low lying towns.

There seems to be some energy travelling south'ish down from Georgia -> eastern Turkey -> and possibly down towards near Baghdad and maybe onto the Persian Gulf....?

For now, Duck.

Edited by duckweather (06/08/2016 11:15)

#1384129 - 06/08/2016 18:35 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi folks again.

I have watching some water behaviour near the yacht club in Cowes, Philip Island today. Now before I go on, I must say that my observations or perceptions may be wrong and misinterpretations of the water behaviours.

So, I have observed a very smooth surface of the water in Westernport Bay, at the Cowes beach. This may have just been 'weather'/other related, but there was a short period of very uniform, elongated and perfectly spaced small waves [reluctant to call them waves, as there was no small cresting on the beach, as they met the beach]. It was as if a subtle energy was meeting the beach [in the water] to cause these very uniform formations. The water behind these waves was glassy. After about 30 minutes, the water went glassy again.

Some may say "nothin' to see here" or it was just due to 'weather behaviour', but it caught my eye. Since the tremor in Arawata, there has been some more irritation on the seimo's. And, since the tremor, the water has been very glassy.

It's just that I suspected there may be another tremor to come for Victoria in the regions of Gippsland or surrounds. There's definitely [in my mind] been some seemingly and possible energy still to give, related to the recent tremor in Vic. I...may...be ...wrong....folks. Maybe I just need to stop drinking coffee today.

Take what I say with a pinch-of-salt folks. I may have misinterpreted what I saw today and my 'radar' may be in over-drive - it's been a long week crazy

Will see if I am wrong or nearly right.

For now, Duck.

Edited by duckweather (06/08/2016 18:36)
Edit Reason: extra

#1384139 - 06/08/2016 23:33 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi again folks for today.

Well, as it turns out, I was right about the energy lurking in Victoria today. It wasn't isolated to Gippsland, Arawata, and/or surrounds as I mentioned in my last post today, but came up in Frankston as an M2+.
I strongly felt we were going to have another tremor. It may have been coincidence with what I witnessed at the Cowes yacht club [water behaviour] and the tremor which came up in Franston [to the west of the yacht club - about 30kms away]. But there was that 'feeling-in-the-air' or my mind's-eye I get sometimes.

Anyway, I have a snapshot [image captured from a live webcam at the yacht club] of the water behaviour I discussed in this and my previous post. I will upload it tomorrow when I re-sign up to a photo hosting website. See what you think when I post it.

For now, Duck.

#1384156 - 07/08/2016 11:10 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi folks.

Here is the pic I was mentioning yesterday. The image is courtesy of the Cowes Yacht Club webcam.

The ripples were fairly short lived and happened between hours of the water being glassy - flat.

See what you think - maybe my suspicions of it being tremor related may be wrong......

For now, Duck.

#1384335 - 10/08/2016 08:29 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi folks. Just a quicky post for now.

Lower Victoria has had 3 recorded tremors now [last few days]. This has confirmed my suspicions of energy lurking around these regions and there may be a 51% chance of an M4'ish cropping up. Also a small % chance of a slightly higher M one coming up.
before our larger tremors in the past [the largest of which was an M5.3] there were small precursor tremors not dissimilar to what we are currently seeing in Vic. But, of course, I can't guarantee the production of a larger tremor, though I am 'watching this space' with curiosity.

NSW also came up with a tremor a few days ago. Another of those coastal'ish regions to come up with a tremor for Australia which I mentioned the potential of in the current tremor 'climate'.
WA and SA have also come into this picture in the last week [last 7 days] and yesterday.

For now, Duck.

Page 114 of 154 < 1 2 ... 112 113 114 115 116 ... 153 154 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 34 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Today's Birthdays
sharjay
Forum Stats
29947 Members
32 Forums
24194 Topics
1529247 Posts

Max Online: 2985 @ 26/01/2019 12:05
Satellite Image