NOTICE!

The Weatherzone forum has now closed and is in read-only mode until the 1st of November when it will close permanently. We would like to thank everyone who has contributed over the past 18 years.

If you would like to continue the discussion you can follow us on Facebook and Twitter or participate in discussions at AusWeather or Ski.com.au forums.

Page 38 of 154 < 1 2 ... 36 37 38 39 40 ... 153 154 >
Topic Options
#1207290 - 15/08/2013 10:03 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Wantirna, Vic
The Norwegian Sea has come up with an M4.5 (25kms deep) in the last hour.
Now, not only has this region been one I have been quietly observing for the last 12 months and feeling that the volcanic vents there may become an issue since being noted and written about by scientists in 2008 (though I had a strong feeling that that volcanic activity was present and would become active there, well before the 2008 discussions), I have noticed there have been several articles being written on this location in recent times, maybe for it to be potentially recognized as a nationally protected (status) region.

Here's a blog post which is succinct and nicely put together about just this topic - the volcanic vents.
"Undersea volcanic activity creating new island chain at Norway’s Loki’s Castle"

For now, Duck.

#1207304 - 15/08/2013 13:27 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Not sure if we had another jitter (small earth movement) here about an hour ago. Wasn't in front of computer (was sitting elsewhere/out).
Will see if Geoscience registers something...

#1207332 - 15/08/2013 19:39 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Now there's a coincidence...2 minutes after my last post, an M2.4 occurred NE of Bonnie Rock in WA.
I still feel though that we had a faint movement here at that time too, but nothing has come up on Geoscience as yet or may not at all.

Cook Strait in NZ has moved again with an M5, with probably intermittent movements to continue there.

California is still jittering with a range of tremors and may feel another M3+ this week. I'm wondering if this may occur near Los Angeles or San Francisco regions...?

Maybe near Samoa and Fiji could also experience some moderate movements too.

For now, Lame Duck (pulled back muscle) frown

#1207335 - 15/08/2013 20:37 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Obscure note for tonight...
About 500kms east of Newman in WA, I am wondering if there is some sort of fault activity/jitter there for a period of time today.
At this point (halfway between Newman and the NT/SA border) imagine an elipse shape of about 350kms wide (east to west).
This location is well ESE of the M2.8 on the 13th of August near the Pilbara, WA.
Will see if I am way off with the Duck feelings and the Panadol I thought I took for my back muscle was actually the cat's worming pills grin

Cheers for now, Duck-Cat?

Edited by duckweather (15/08/2013 20:42)
Edit Reason: correction

#1207374 - 16/08/2013 11:43 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Just some general 'observations' for today so far - a few regions which I have been slightly drawn too - just feelings and no intention of 'predictions'.
SE of Apollo Bay (Bass Strait) off shore,
East of the Dandenong Ranges,
NE of Melbourne,
Near Yuendumu (north of) Northern Territory.

Sicily, Italy has had a bit of a cluster of tremors today. These tremors are near the Etna Volcano.

For the moment, Duck.

#1207381 - 16/08/2013 12:25 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Just a correction on last post;
I meant to type NW of Melbourne, not NE.

#1207384 - 16/08/2013 12:47 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

I had a horrible feeling that the Cook Strait in NZ was going to experience more larger quakes and they have just had a near M7.
See here

#1207389 - 16/08/2013 13:22 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Re: the Cook Strait M7 - "Wellington shaken by severe earthquake"
with reports from folks.

#1207393 - 16/08/2013 14:10 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Here's another link of reports from locals and every 10-minute updates on NZ - Earthquake Report

#1207404 - 16/08/2013 16:35 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Quote:
Just some general 'observations' for today so far - a few regions which I have been slightly drawn too - just feelings and no intention of 'predictions'.
SE of Apollo Bay (Bass Strait) off shore,
East of the Dandenong Ranges,
NE of Melbourne,
Near Yuendumu (north of) Northern Territory.

Add to the above - SE of Alice Springs (SE 'corner' of NT)

#1207421 - 16/08/2013 19:26 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

There's a buoy registering an approx 10 metre 'variation'/'drop/
in the Bay of Bengal. No EQ has come up on the Global Incident Map yet.
National Data Buoy Centre

#1207437 - 16/08/2013 21:21 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
Petros Offline
Meteorological Motor Mouth

Loc: Maffra, Central Gippsland, Vi...
Originally Posted By: duckweather
Just a correction on last post;
I meant to type NW of Melbourne, not NE.

... the cat's worming pills at work!!

#1207446 - 16/08/2013 21:38 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Petros]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Meowwww Petros....I mean yes grin
It's amazing how a strained back muscle can sap the brain cells...but the cat's pills restored all...top and bottom (just joking of course...and I didn't really reach for the wrong packet in the medicine cabinet...though the cat looks relieved strangely... cool )

Am sitting here watching earthquake maps, while the gum trees outside get whipped around like a cats tail in front of a hair dryer. Some of the wind gusts feel like a small tremor.

For now, Sylvester Duck.

#1207455 - 16/08/2013 22:44 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Cough, cough, clearing a furball and to carry on with EQ watch...
Bali Sea just came up with an M5 (deep at 298kms) and was followed on by Kepulauan Talaud, Indonesia with an M4.4.
We may see Japan experience a moderate tremor next (or maybe Taiwan), then maybe PNG and/or near Kamchatka/west Aleutians.
Sometimes a corresponding tremor can occur down Central/South America. When NZ experiences such large EQ's like the one/s seen today, you can expect 'neighboring' and/or an opposing region to 'react' too.
This is just a feeling, as I always say, not a scientific opinion or prediction....

Also meant to mention that south/SW of NZ South Island may also experience a movement...

For now, Duck.

Edited by duckweather (16/08/2013 22:50)
Edit Reason: bit extra

#1207481 - 17/08/2013 10:45 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Here's an article on The Watchers site, which gives a succinct account of EQ stats, videos of the NZ EQ dynamics and other info regarding the Cook Strait series of EQ's.
"Severe, damaging and shallow earthquake...ocks" by Adonai

As I mentioned in my previous post, there may be subsequent moderate EQ's post the NZ quakes. Vanuatu and Tonga were two regions which I left out as potentials for M5's - which were rather obvious locations for potential follow on EQ's after NZ's movements. I usually add those in the 'list' but forgot to yesterday - (roll eyes).

A couple of posts ago, I mentioned that a buoy was in event mode in the Bay of Bengal (near India). I found a notation of an M4.7 which had occurred in ESE of Port Blair, India - USGS
This may have been the trigger for the buoy, but I'm not 100% sure atm..

I am getting a wee feeling that there may be an offshore movement between the west coast of southern Canada and down to west of Eureka, California soon. This feeling seems to 'marry', in my mind, with the potential of movements yet to occur in the Pacific....?

For the moment, Duck.

#1207494 - 17/08/2013 14:20 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

NW and west of Renmark in South Australia may be showing some fault jitters.
Now, I know when I mention these regions (re: jitters), they may not always come up with a tremor in the short term or one that is notable enough to be recorded by Geoscience formally; alternatively I may be wrong too, but when I feel I observe potential 'jitters', I feel there may be a possibility of a movement in the future - (from 0 to approx 55 days [according to a Japanese scientist]) from noting my feelings.
Sometimes tremors have occurred in the day/s I have noted certain regions and weeks for others...some not at all. So take what I say as just thoughts only, not predictions (sound like a broken record, don't I? smile )

I think near Roma in Queensland may be showing some faint jitters too.....

For the moment, Duck.

Edited by duckweather (17/08/2013 14:24)
Edit Reason: extra

#1207507 - 17/08/2013 17:46 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

That buoy in the Bay of Bengal is very interesting. Have a look at the current 'stats' for it - here.
It seems that since the first quake at 0522hrs (US time), the buoy reading depth has not regained the loss of depth reading. It has gone on from 3792'ish metres and stabilized at about 3768 depth reading, post the second quake (just on the other side of the plate edge) M5.2 - WSW of Banda Aceh.

Question - Has the sea floor risen, indicating (maybe) the potential of another serious movement there, let alone a sea floor change.....?

Edited by duckweather (17/08/2013 17:51)
Edit Reason: correction

#1207633 - 19/08/2013 11:55 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi folks.
The western side of the Pacific plate (intermingled with other smaller plates etc.) has been misbehaving as I thought it would, following on from NZ's recent M7. From NZ, up through the Pacific islands, across to Indonesia, up through the Philippines, Taiwan and Japan. The western end of the Aleutians came up with a moderate quake too, as I felt it may. But, the Kamchatka region hasn't so far.

The quakes in northern India, Gengqing/China and Afghanistan are all 'near' the Himalayas. This is another region (long spread) which I felt was going to show 'spot' quakes recently/currently. The 'energy' here (and regarding the movements near Banda Aceh and the NE of the Bay of Bengal) I feel is emanating from the Indian Ocean central, north and east.

One region my mind is sorta 'stuck' on is the west coast of California, and up through Washington and into the Canadian west coast (near the Queen Charlotte Islands). Not saying anything catastrophic will happen there, but maybe an M4+ may come up in the near future. Equally, the U.S. inland may feel an M3+ (+?) in the general regions of western Nevada, Baja and maybe in the 'T' shape region of Oklahoma/Arkansas/Tennessee/down to Louisiana. But I could be wrong.....just feelings.

For the moment, Duck.

Edited by duckweather (19/08/2013 11:57)
Edit Reason: extra

#1207769 - 20/08/2013 11:05 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Another great article by Adonai (The Watchers) explains how experts in NZ are concerned for another large quake in the Cook Strait. This article coincides with the feelings which have been niggling at me regarding this region and the folks who are dealing with living with the threat and the recent/current fault movements there.
"Deep sea oil drilling raises concern as...s, New Zealand"

Geoscience has started putting up tremors registered in Oz in the last 5 days. I was wondering why nothing had been registered recently, as I was sure there have been movements in WA and maybe SA and NSW...(not just reverberations from quakes overseas/neighboring countries)...will see if any other tremors are added to the Geo site soon.

For now, Duck.

#1207866 - 21/08/2013 10:11 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

The M4.7 - 129km SSE of Chipinge, Zimbabwe - (Mozambique on the Global Incident Map) is very close to the M7 they experienced on Feb 23 2006.
This region is not immune to EQ's of a moderate to larger size, as the notable EQ's of this region describes.

Quote:
Relative Plate Motion

The magnitude 7.0 Mozambique of February 22, 2006 occurred along the boundary between the Africa and Somalia plates. The relative motion perpendicular and parallel to the Africa and Somalia tectonic plate margin is a combination of convergent, divergent and transverse relative motions. Divergent and convergent relative plate motions would be expected where plate motion is normal to the plate margin. Transcurrent or transform faulting would be expected where relative motion is parallel to the plate margin.
USGS

Africa is one continent which I have eluded to in the past (blog) as being one which may experience some moderate/maybe larger quakes in 2013.
Tanzania and the DR Congo, the Gulf of Guinea, SW of Liberia (at sea), the region between Eritrea and Somalia, and the north coast of Africa (Egypt, Tunisia/Algeria, north of Morocco) are places I have felt for some time may be prone to moderate movements. The sea space between Portugal and Morocco is another region I am sometimes drawn to for potential moderate movements. (All just feelings folks).

The vast spread from west to east of the Mediterranean is experiencing regular smaller EQ's/tremors, with the odd moderate movement. I generally feel that from the central locations out to the eastern regions of the Mediterranean Sea may be more vulnerable to some moderate movements.
Some general regions which I am almost constantly drawn to are Turkey, Crete, Italy, SE of Yemen, Karachi (Pakistan), Islamabad....just to mention a few. (This may have no significance regarding EQ's).

For the moment, Duck.

Page 38 of 154 < 1 2 ... 36 37 38 39 40 ... 153 154 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 40 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Today's Birthdays
benny200, ChaseNZ, ptera, stormymick1, ThunderstormZ, typhoonbeach
Forum Stats
29947 Members
32 Forums
24194 Topics
1529247 Posts

Max Online: 2985 @ 26/01/2019 12:05
Satellite Image