NOTICE!

The Weatherzone forum has now closed and is in read-only mode until the 1st of November when it will close permanently. We would like to thank everyone who has contributed over the past 18 years.

If you would like to continue the discussion you can follow us on Facebook and Twitter or participate in discussions at AusWeather or Ski.com.au forums.

Page 95 of 154 < 1 2 ... 93 94 95 96 97 ... 153 154 >
Topic Options
#1334358 - 11/07/2015 13:15 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
Knot Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi Duck. The phenomenon you saw is called 'horns of the moon' The moon resembles a round shortbread biscuit with the top dipped in chocolate. Happens a couple of moon phases per year when the angle of the moons path is straight up from the horizon. Hope that helps. P.s some volcanic action in SW Mexico

#1334479 - 11/07/2015 20:16 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Knot]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Wantirna, Vic
Thanks again Knot.

As I said, I have never seen this before in my lifetime. It had me bamboozled and to think that I have only seen the moon with crescents on typical angles and not like it was the other night, I was wondering why there was a shift to it being lit from underneath. It looked creepy. It seemed to me that the position of the sun or a rotation of the Earth had been unusual. My understanding of the 'angle' changes of the planets, sun and Earth is minimal and this was beyond my understanding. Since your last post (Knot) I looked up some info on this and I am still bamboozled somewhat wink

Oklahoma is on a 'roll' with tremors at the moment. There was also a tremor on the New Madrid in the mix (cluster of tremors). This ongoing pesky movement/s in Oklahoma and surrounds is having an effect on quite a few buildings, with many folks complaining of cracks in wall and ceilings developing and worsening. One shop owner has reported part of her shop floor sinking and walls starting to pull away at 'joins'.
I also read a report from a local on the California west coast stating that a recent tremor/quake had the ground beneath his feet drop about 6 inches. There are alot of tremors on the west coast with the San Andreas (and sister faults) moving for a long time now (not unusual for this main fault though). I feel that in the future there may be more reports of minor ground drops possibly on the western side of the San Andreas, as this side (Pacific Plate) moves north. In my mind, I feel that this may be because the western side of the San Andreas contains land masses which may be on slightly less solid footing than the land masses to the east of the San Andreas. I could be very wrong.

Alaska is niggling away with tremors near Anchorage and to its west (NW of the Gulf of Alaska). Particularly in the Cook Inlet and a couple of tremors have come up in the Shelikof Stait (just to the SW of the Cook Inlet). There have been quite a few tremors to the north of Anchorage (inland) involving the Alaska Range (an arc shaped mountain structure). To the north, again, of this Range, Fairbanks Alaska has also been feeling tremors.
Icy Bay, which is near the border of Canada and Alaska, has had a small cluster of tremors. Icy Bay runs in off the NE of the Gulf of Alaska. The location of these tremors is also just south of the main plate edge in the far NE of the Gulf of Alaska.
The Redoubt Volcano is on the SW end of many of the tremors coming up in Alaska. A new tremor has just come up for the volcano region - an M2.2 at 156kms deep.

Pinch of salt will all the stuff above folks wink

For now, Duck.

#1334993 - 13/07/2015 17:29 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi folks.

I am quite sure that South Australia (possibly near Hawker) has had an M3'ish about an hour ago, but nothing has shown up on the Geoscience Australia map at the moment.

The western side of Turkey has had a run of tremors, which ties in with my feelings that they may experience some activity in the current time. I thought they may have gone on to feel an M5, but so far this hasn't happened, which is good.

The South Sandwich Islands and Scotia Sea have been active with M5's in the last 24 hours. This is also some quite concerted movement for this region in a short space of time.

An M3 came up offshore northern California in the region I thought an M5 may come up. There have been other small movements there and other Californian locations which may tie in with my thoughts that energy is coming up from South -> then Central America into the northern parts west of the San Andreas - northern California.

Algeria north is showing that it is still active with sporadic small tremors and moderate quakes occasionally. This energy, I feel, is associated with the Gibraltar region's tremors and Spain. I feel that the energy in the western Mediterranean is filtering up into France and nearby countries again. Britain may come up with a tremor - possibly in the English Channel or on the coast of France near Jersey.

Japan has been coming up with a few quakes in the M5 region, as I anticipated it would. Luckily or thankfully, so far there hasn't been a large quake which I thought may possibly be brewing for somewhere near Japan.

I eluded to Lake Baykal in Russia, as well as the Gulf of St. Lawrence (Canada) as being locations drawing my attention/mind's-eye recently, and Lake Baykal has come up with an M4.4 3 hours ago. Canada's St Lawrence waterway (back west towards Michigan/US) may come up with another tremor in the short term.

The Iceland region has been/is sneaking back into notice with the odd M5'ish quake. I get a mild feeling that Iceland may be coming into a time of a run of more tremors....may be wrong.

The Atlantic may through up a few (more) M5's in the short term. I could be wrong.

PNG, the central Indian Ocean, Pakistan and Myanmar are locations in my minds-eye which may com up with tremors soon.

For now, Duck.

#1335082 - 14/07/2015 09:05 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi folks.

Just a quicky post for now.

Interestingly, the Gulf of Aden came up with a series of quakes, which was one of those regions, along with Myanmar, north of Pakistan and others I thought will show some movement. I wanted to note the Gulf of Aden last night in my post, but my baby granddaughter needed Nanny Duck's attention at the time I was starting to list the regions I was feeling there may be movements.
The Gulf of Aden was showing signs, along with the other peripheral regions of movement - in one part not far from and possibly involving the Rift zone of NE Africa.

Los Angeles and San Francisco also came up with the tremors I was anticipating for their regions.

Hopefully I will be back later...

Cheers, Duck.

#1335813 - 17/07/2015 21:17 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi folks.

Quite a few of the tremors I felt may come up have, such as;

* Canada (St Lawrence waterways) the largest being an M3.7 west of Montreal.

*Pakistan
*Jersey (France)
*energy causing quakes running into the Caribbean
*Los Angeles and San Francisco
*SW of Eureka
and possibly a few others I haven't had time to check on atm.

There was a very interesting quake between Mozambique and Madagascar (near the coast of Mozambique). This happened in the Davie Ridge and I wouldn't mind betting this quake may (in an outside chance - not sure though) have something to do with some sort of energy related to the African Rift system which runs down the eastern side of the African continent....?

As 'usual', Hawaii has come up with a tremor after quite a few movements on and off the coast of the western U.S. states. Western Canada's tremors (including offshore) tie in with the U.S. west coast movements (in my mind).

An interesting (but not surprising) article below;

Helium leaking from the Earth's mantle i...n July 14, 2015

I feel that Mother Nature is going to come up with more of these helium (and methane) surprises.....

....and on another note (I feel is related to volcanoes or volcanic activities;

Researchers find surprisingly high geoth...n July 13, 2015

I am still feeling that Japan or a nearby region may come up with a fairly solid quake. There has been and still are some fairly consistent movements happening in the regions around Japan - almost like the multiple quakes may be a sign that some more solid movement is (maybe, maybe only) going to occur.....? The vast stretch of the main plates on the NW side of the Pacific Ocean is niggling with irritations (energy) and I just get a gut feeling that we may see a larger quake come up somewhere.

I will hopefully be more in tune with what's happening on the EQ front in the next couple of days. I haven't had time to scratch myself in the last few days smile

We are still feeling the tiniest of small jolts here. There have been some small jiggles on the seimo's - which I feel are related to distant and local movements.

For now, Duck...

#1335894 - 18/07/2015 13:11 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
Ken Kato Offline
Meteorological Motor Mouth

Big 7.3 (preliminary) quake with depth of 4km (GA data) in the Santa Cruz Islands region north of Vanuatu at 12:27pm. No tsunami threat to Australia at this stage:

#1335951 - 18/07/2015 20:34 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Ken Kato]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi folks.

I knew there was a bigger quake brewing in the western Pacific. As I said in a previous post/s, the EQ behaviours in the western side were too jittery for there not to be a larger quake. It wasn't Japan, as I had also eluded to, but I still feel that Japan may be still a possibility for a larger quake too (don't take my word for it though...I could be wrong).

That larger Santa Cruz quake did have the potential for water disturbances in and around the nearby islands. The quake was shallow enough to produce some odd sea behaviours, though perhaps not a tsunami in the sense like we have seen from other larger quakes.

Quakes have been coming up either side (north and south) of Iceland and not, so far, a moderate quake like I felt may pop up.

The breadth of the Himalayas is still 'playing up' with no end in sight (at this stage).

Australia may be in for another run of tremors in several states. WA has kicked off with several tremors and SA (Hawker) came up with the tremor I had suspected it may have had.

For the moment, Duck.

#1336138 - 21/07/2015 12:27 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi folks, just a quicky post for now.

Australia is coming up with the run of tremors I said it would in my last post. Victoria (saw that one come up on a seismo), South Australia and NSW (5 tremors one after another).
See Geoscience for details

Cheers for now, Duck.

#1336245 - 22/07/2015 15:10 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
perrywinkle Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Warrawee Valley
Dalton tremors may just be preliminary, given the area has a recent geological history of large tremors.
1934 M5.6
1949 M5.5

Edited by perrywinkle (22/07/2015 15:15)
Edit Reason: dates

#1336336 - 23/07/2015 16:10 Re: Earthquakes [Re: perrywinkle]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi all.

Hi perrywinkle. Those tremors near Dalton are rather curious. It may or may not be indicative of a larger tremor looming. I get a gut feeling that these movements may indicate a 'travelling' energy. As it stands, currently, there have been two more tremors for NSW cropping up near Cooma and Jindabyne early this morning. This falls in with my 'usual' thoughts that energy may be travelling down the east coast of NSW towards Victoria.

I feel that South Australia may have had another M2.5-M3 today, according to what I glimpsed on the Hawker seismo.

The regions involving the Gulf of St. Lawrence in Canada are still moving as I thought it would. Also the region near Southern New England (US east coast, south of Boston) is coming into the picture with a tremor (M2.3 about 23 hours ago).
The US west coast is coming up with a few more tremors greater than M3, compared to their usual many rattles with M1's, M2's.

The Cascadia region, off the west coast of Canada, is teasing with small tremors. This may be an indicator of a larger tremor to come - M4+??? Could be wrong.

Japan is having M4+'s in various locations now (on land and offshore on the east and western side). This, to me, is showing some generalized energy popping up for Japan and may go on to produce an M5 or M5+ in the near term maybe around the southern end of Japan - but I'm not sure.

For now, Duck.

Edited by duckweather (23/07/2015 16:11)
Edit Reason: spelling again

#1336374 - 24/07/2015 07:24 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
perrywinkle Offline
Weather Freak

Turns out there were 5 tremors at Dalton, historic records showed a prequel of tremors before the big earthquake in 1934, which virtually demolished Dalton, and cracked buildings in Canberra. Agree with Duck about energy transfers. There have been quite a few deeper tremors in the Snowy Mts over the past year, corresponding to visible surface faults.

#1336383 - 24/07/2015 11:23 Re: Earthquakes [Re: perrywinkle]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Yes perrywinkle, I feel also there may be more surface faults to become visible (in a couple of locations) as time goes on. I remember that a long time ago one of the Weatherzone folks mentioned a crack in the ground appeared in the SE of Victoria after one of Victoria's tremors....can't remember who it was atm..

We are finding in our street here (haven't checked with all of the neighbours though) that our houses are showing ever so slightly more cracks appearing in cornices, corners of walls and shifting of brickwork. In my house, there are major (exposed) beams running from one end of the house to the other, and they are very slightly showing signs of shifting. We are on a hill and even the driveway has developed a long but small (width) crack. There has been a noticeable increase in this sort of movement since our M5.3 some years ago. I am not exactly sure if this can be attributed to earth movements, but it is interesting that it is not just my house that is experiencing this.
Having said the above, I am not saying that this has anything to do with surface fault lines becoming more visible wink If the ground opens up I'll let you all know crazy

Anyway, the Caribbean, as I have mentioned reasonably recently, is experiencing the energy (producing quakes) which I anticipated it would. The Cayman Islands came up with a decent old M4.9 today, and further again to the eastern part of the Caribbean have been experiencing tremors/quakes in the current times.

Southern Norway has had a tremor. The location of this tremor is on the periphery of the 'circle' of sea edges (bordered by the UK, Denmark, the Netherlands and Germany). In my mind's eye, I feel there is a 'line' (fault) which runs through the centre of the English Channel, and connects with the North Sea. This fault line, I feel, may have something to do with tremors which come up in Jersey (France), Belgium and southern England.

South Australia came up on the Geoscience maps with the tremor I thought I saw on the Hawker seismo yesterday. NSW has had another tremor - 11.43am yesterday near Bemboka. This tremor location is closer to the coast, heading towards the Tasman Sea. The energy for these quakes may be coming in from the Tasman Sea. I was thinking last night that Eden in NSW may also come up with a tremor....will see. (Can't get 'B' words out of my head atm). Bermagui and Bega may end up feeling a small rattle or the effects (vibrations) of a nearby tremor.

There is obviously more going on in the world of EQ's....I hope to catch up later.

Cheers, Duck.

Edited by duckweather (24/07/2015 11:28)
Edit Reason: change of date/day

#1336475 - 25/07/2015 11:34 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Good morning folks.

There is a new 'news' report on the Hayward Fault, which runs through San Francisco, where many folks in this region have been described as going into a bit of a panic about a geologist saying that a major quake "could happen any day now". But this alarming (for the residents) statement has been modified as you will read in this report;

Hayward Fault: Major Earthquake In San F...15 09:42 AM EDT

I recently mentioned this region (along with L.A.) as a possibility of going to experience tremors (thinking M3+'s) and an M4 was experienced in San Francisco. L.A. also had a simultaneous run of tremors.
I have not personally felt that there will be an M7'ish may occur in these regions in the short term, but only felt that San Francisco and L.A. would both experience movements at the same time because of the same energy in the same fault.
Not being a scientist, I couldn't say when a large quake could possibly occur for this region and I personally wouldn't do so.

I do see some similarities in the Hayward and San Andreas Faults to the major fault which runs through New Zealand. I feel that they tend to behave in the same way in regards to their behaviours. Both locations, therefore, may have the potential to produce an M7, but when is the big question.

I came across a fascinating article about landslips in Papua New Guinea yesterday;

see the "Landslide Blog" for this report Dave Petley, who runs this blog, has some very interesting info on this site.

The Canadian west coast has started to come up with (again) some M3's up from the very recent M1's and 2's. I feel that there may be some energy driving up from the south from the west coast of the U.S. and into this region. It may go on to produce an M4?

The middle of the Indian Ocean (and a couple of other places) came up with the M5 I was anticipating.

Some more energy seems to be hovering around the northern parts of the Antarctic and may have been associated with the production of an M5 near the Balleny Islands region (way SE of Oz, and way south of New Zealand) 17 hours ago. The trench/fault which leads to the Balleny Islands seems to be related to the fault which runs through New Zealand.

Remember to take all I personally suggest with a pinch-of-salt folks...

For now, Duck.

#1336670 - 27/07/2015 09:19 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
perrywinkle Offline
Weather Freak

Just had a bit of gentle rocking here. little house creaks and door popped open. Northern Sydney

#1336671 - 27/07/2015 09:27 Re: Earthquakes [Re: perrywinkle]
perrywinkle Offline
Weather Freak

Some movement on eastern Aus seismometers, coinciding with the house creaks, but does not appear to be a local quake. Perhaps echoes from elsewhere....
Checked GA records, and it may have been the Tonga quake... unusual to notice quakes from that area here.

Edited by perrywinkle (27/07/2015 09:30)
Edit Reason: Tonga

#1336674 - 27/07/2015 10:00 Re: Earthquakes [Re: perrywinkle]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi perrywinkle.

The Fiji quake over half an hour ago was deep enough for the eastern side of Australia, even some seismo's in South Australia picked up some movement, to have felt some movement. Our large plate is associated with the quake in those regions and especially deep movements in places offshore from Oz can rattle parts of Oz close to these regions.
Our house has creaked sometimes too when these deep and/or larger quakes happen.
When the quakes happen in Indonesia, north of the Oz mainland, the regions in northern NT, WA and QLD may feel some subtle movements too. Again because energy is dispersed and the foundations we sit on gets a bit of a jiggle.

Cheers wink Duck.

#1336698 - 27/07/2015 15:30 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
BlueyZarsoff Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Fountain Lakes (Sth East Melb)
Large quake near Unalaska 6.9 fairly shallow .

#1336736 - 27/07/2015 21:03 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
logansi Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Adelaide S.A/Portland Vic
Lots after shocks from this quake in Alaska

https://www.ausweatherforum.com

#1336737 - 27/07/2015 21:17 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
Knot Offline
Weatherzone Addict

The eastern and northern flanks of Pacific belt quite restless.

#1336740 - 27/07/2015 21:45 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Knot]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi Knot and all.

Yes the northern and eastern parts of the Pacific Plate (and associated plates) have shown some energy resulting in irritations (quakes and tremors).
Some energy was 'pushing' up the west coast of the U.S., into west coast Canada and around the Aleutian Island chain.

Watch the west - meaning possibly the NW of the Pacific Plate. The Australian Plate and Pacific Plate have thrown up the Pacific islands (around Fiji for e.g.), quakes in fairly quick succession. Then the M(near)7 in Alaska. Combine this with the irritations on the western America's/Canada and I feel something else is brewing. It has gone quiet in the NW (which is nice to see of course) but leaves me a bit suspicious as to why the energy has temporarily dissipated or left this region. It feels like an emptied 'space' (of energy) which may go on to reactivate with or be revisited by tremors in a rebound effect.
Note: I may be absolutely wrong here folks.

I just feel there my be another larger quake to come in the Pacific in relation to what I have said above. Of course, I hope not though.

Oz is still experiencing the run of tremors I anticipated would happen recently.

Sweden may have had an M5.3 at 400kms deep today...but will have to verify that.

For the moment, Duck.

Edited by duckweather (27/07/2015 21:47)
Edit Reason: spelling again ;)

Page 95 of 154 < 1 2 ... 93 94 95 96 97 ... 153 154 >

Who's Online
1 registered (aussiestormfreak), 42 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Today's Birthdays
chejian, Dusty Dervish, pogonantha, scott12
Forum Stats
29947 Members
32 Forums
24194 Topics
1529247 Posts

Max Online: 2985 @ 26/01/2019 12:05
Satellite Image