NOTICE!

The Weatherzone forum has now closed and is in read-only mode until the 1st of November when it will close permanently. We would like to thank everyone who has contributed over the past 18 years.

If you would like to continue the discussion you can follow us on Facebook and Twitter or participate in discussions at AusWeather or Ski.com.au forums.

Page 71 of 154 < 1 2 ... 69 70 71 72 73 ... 153 154 >
Topic Options
#1265424 - 04/06/2014 13:10 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Wantirna, Vic
Hi folks.

Just quickly mentioning, something many of you (Aussies) may already be aware of, SE of Coober Pedy has just had an M4.6 at 20kms deep (preliminary).
This one could be felt over a wide region.
See Geoscience here

For now, Duck.

#1265443 - 04/06/2014 20:19 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi again, for today, folks.

Having now had a chance to look at some seismo's which registered South Australia's earthquake today, I was not surprised to see just how many states/territories registed and felt this movement.
See Geoscience map of seismo's registering the SA EQ

There seemed to be an 'after-movement' about an hour or so ago, which seemed to be a 'fluffy' movement and not so much a good solid black 'thumping rumble' on the Hawker seismograph.

This M4+ is what I feeling was brewing for Oz, as I mentioned a few posts ago. I felt there was some 'energy' building over time or a stress point which was going to give at some point.
SA may go on to feel another tremor or two, possibly up to an M3 size in the short term.
Some of the energy from today's EQ may travel north towards Lake Eyre - but don't quote me on that, I may be wrong. Or it may influence a movement in a more southerly direction....?

The Greece/Turkey region has activated again with some smaller moderate tremors/quakes (M3/M4). This may be an indication of some more energy which could build to another quake near or above M4.

I may jot another post later if I get a chance - bit busy atm...

For now,
Duck

#1265453 - 04/06/2014 22:50 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Third post for today...

Here's a small curiosity maybe just a coincidence. On the 31st May, I mentioned:

Quote:
a location starting with the letter 'J' (as in Jeun- or Jer- for example) may come up with a movement....?

....Juneau, in Alaska, has just come up with an M5.8 at fairly shallow depth of about 10kms. So far, it looks like this EQ may have not caused any damage or other troubles for the folks there, but we'll find out more as time goes on.

Yellowstone has just had another reasonable tremor of M3.3. 'She' is definitely a little on the grumbly side at the moment. This behaviour may settle as it has done before (and many other times) or 'she' may go on to produce and M4...will have to wait and see.

The English Channel, near the shores of France, has just come up with an M3+ - which I was suspecting (previous post) may occur. The energy from this one may (or may not) filter onto the British lands.

For now,
Duck.

#1265456 - 04/06/2014 23:06 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Just a correction on my last post -
The Alaskan EQ was closer to Haines than Juneau. Juneau is about 70kms further away from the EQ than Haines.

Cheers, tired Duck sleep

#1265483 - 05/06/2014 12:04 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi folks,

Another short post.

The deep quakes in Fiji region have sprung up again, with shallower EQ's coming up in peripheral regions.
The quakes 'started' in the countries near the top coast of Oz, then up to Japan/Philippines/Kurils, and now have splayed out into the Marianna's. There may be an M5+ to come up with this new run of movements.

For now, Duck.

Edited by duckweather (05/06/2014 12:05)

#1265567 - 06/06/2014 12:23 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi folks.

The "mappage-seimos" I monitor very regularly for movements in the southern states of Oz (including Canberra) is down till the 11th June.
"Mappage"

I do get glipmses of other siemo's, like Leon Mow Radio Observatory seismo's on a fairly regular basis and a couple of other links, but I'll have to hone in on my 'senses' (feelings) even more now, for Oz anyway.
I do feel that there are very, very subtle movements ongoing sporadically across SA - into Vic and from Vic, and a couple of other states too.

As for the rest of the world's potential movements, I tend to 'watch' the Global Incident Map - EQ's for general EQ behaviours to get a 'feel' for where there may be (sometimes I am right smile ) some movements - EQ's/tremors.

(Near) Easter Island rattled with an M5.7 - 8 hours ago. It was fairly shallow too at approx 30kms. This island is a fascinating place and was obsessed (just a bit) with eading books about it and drawing the statues there. This latest quake must have disturbed the fauna there a bit today and may have caused some sea disturbances. The movement appears to have occurred on/near a plate edge in the Pacific.

In the last 24 hours (according to the USGS maps);
Utah has had at least 5 tremors,
Oklahoma - 1 tremor (?)
Washington State - 4 tremors (small)
Nevada - 2 tremors
New York/Canada border - 1 tremor
Yellowstone - 2 small ones
California - constant small tremors - with the odd M3+

Some states surrounding Oklahoma have been coming up with M2+'s here and there.

Offshore Canada has been/is coming up with some movements I anticipated too.

For now, Duck.

#1265609 - 06/06/2014 20:33 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi folks.

Since the 2 year anniversary of Melbourne's biggest EQ is coming up on the 19th of June 2012, I got to thinking about our other states and territory's largest quakes over time.
Below is a short list of the largest quakes (which I have managed to find in a brief research session on the net) for our regions.

Victoria - Morwell - M5.2 (but I think it was slightly larger) - 2 years ago

NSW - Newcastle - M5.5 - 24 years ago

SA - Port Augusta - M5.1 - 30 years ago

NT - Alice Springs - M6.3 - 28 years ago

WA - Meeberrie - in 1941 - M7.3

QLD - Bowen - M5.0 - 3 years ago

Tassie - Burnie (off shore) - M4.5 - 12 years ago.

Canberra - M4.2 - 37 years ago

The above pieces of info are drawn from Earthquake Track

One extra piece of interesting info is from The University of Western Australia. The following describes one of the next biggest quakes for WA - just behind Meeberrie in size, but the impact on the community was greater.

Quote:
The most significant West Australian earthquake was that which occurred at Meckering in October, 1968. It basically destroyed the small wheat belt town, approximately 100 km east of Perth, and caused several injuries, but fortunately no deaths. It's magnitude was 6.9, and caused surface faulting up to 3 metres high, and nearly 40 km long.

Since I haven't researched the above 'figures' thoroughly, there may be another quake lurking in the past that I haven't discovered yet which may be bigger than the ones I have noted. But the above sites are great sources of info.

Ahhhh, just found another list, which can be added/blended with the one I have jotted above. This list/link below mentions many of the ones I have noted and a few others.
The info is a list of the 10 quakes, with the article titled Australia's worst earthquakes regarding a ranking of the cost to the community, damage and magnitude.

For now, Duck.

Edited by duckweather (06/06/2014 20:34)

#1265694 - 07/06/2014 20:45 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi folks.

Noatak, Alaska, has been (is) being pummelled with more more substantial movements today. One local stated that they actually watched their house shaking during the M6. They have been receiving several aftershocks, which is not surprising post a largish quake.

I was meaning (yesterday) to mention the Caspian Sea as a region to watch for a moderate quake and this has occurred. I kept getting drawn to this region as a potential for a moderate quake, but it's too late to note this now.

That region including Djibouti, Ethiopia, Yemen and back up and either side of the Saudi Arabian peninsula is another region (including also the NW of the Arabian Sea) which I felt was brewing for some collective movements. It just felt to me to be 'unstable'. Some of this energy may back up towards Israel. Or perhaps down to Tanzania....?

Hawaii is another region I mentioned a little while ago as being a region which may see a tremor/EQ slightly larger than the smaller tremors they have been experiencing, and they had a near M4 today.

I mentioned in a previous post that the Mappage seismo page of the South Australian Minerals site was back on track at a later date. The Melbourne University School of Earth Sciences Seismic Station has taken up the 'job' of monitoring the seimo's which were displaying readings on Mappage.
Melbourne Uni Earth Sciences here

I keep getting a feeling that we may be going to see a larger quake in a region, but with a nasty headache plaguing me today, I can't focus on a particular region.....

Oh, and the date I was referring to for the 2nd anniversary of Vic's M5.2 (+) was 2014 not 2012 when the quake occurred...

So for now, until my brain fog clears,

Duck.

Edited by duckweather (07/06/2014 20:48)

#1265892 - 10/06/2014 10:29 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi folks.

I have been a bit hit and miss with posting over the last few days, due to sadly losing one of our companion animals. It's been a bit hard to concentrate on quakes, though I did jot a post in the Volcano thread. RIP Gizzy.

For now though, it is worth mentioning that Yellowstone has thrown up an M2.2, with the regions to the west - yet again - following on with tremors (Washington and Oregon). Canada west coast has also followed on with tremors.

South Australia came up with an M3.7 this morning, an after-movement from the other EQ the other day. This ties in with the movement/energy I have been talking about, as still lurking around SA and the western half of Vic.

The western side of the Pacific is still playing up with M5's and we may see some more in the short term.

China has come up with the moderate movements I was anticipating too.

The west coast of California may see an M3+ (+?) in the short term.
Oklahoma is experiencing ongoing sporadic tremors and a couple of it's sister states may also come up with M2+'s in the short term.

I may jot a better post later folks.

For now, Duck.

#1265957 - 11/06/2014 11:41 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi folks.

I have been looking at the recent (last 7 days or so) tremor history of the U.S. states of Wyoming, Idaho, Montana and Utah.
Montana is to the north of Wyoming; Idaho is to the west of Wyoming and Utah is to the SW of Wyoming.
Yellowstone, as you all know, sits generally in Wyoming, and partially into the states of Montana and Idaho.

Particularly in the earlier days of the last 7 days, Montana - near the border with Wyoming (northern edges of Yellowstone) has had quite a cluster of tremors. The size of the tremors have ranged from approx M0.3 and up to 2 tremors of M3.5 and an M3.4 on the same day of the 4th June 2014.
Nearly all of the many tremors have been at an average of 25kms deep.

To see where I am getting this info from, see "Earthquakes - Intermountain West"

My theory is that these tremors (obviously including the Yellowstone tremors) and the possibly the ones further out to the west (Washington, Oregon etc) may be being influenced by the behaviour of Yellowstone.
As I have mentioned before, the intermittent and sometimes temperamental behaviour of Yellowstone is not unusual for the U.S..

The coastal movements on the west of the U.S. are also affected by the major faults and plate edges which run up the eastern side of the Pacific.

As I mentioned in a previous post and suspected it would, the west coast of the U.S. has revved up withe tremors again. As has the west coast of Canada.

Some quakes and tremor activity can pop up as surprises sometimes and with very little, if no warning.
But I feel there can be a very general (not always predictable) pattern of tremor behaviour in some regions.

The energy around the Central America's and leading into the Caribbean seems to have picked up some momentum again. There may be some more M3+'s (+?) for this overall region/s.

For now, Duck.

#1266090 - 13/06/2014 10:59 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi folks.

South Oz has moved again this morning with a M2.9 (upgraded from the initial record of M2.8) at a depth of 12kms (updated from the original 5kms) - NE of Wilmington.
This movement is related to the 'energy' I have been prattling on about as being such that has been lurking around the South Oz regions. The tremor locations in the last 30 days have been generally surrounding the energy 'lines' I once showed in a pic in a previous post.
Actually, below is this pic of the 'general energy' lines I posted ages ago.

My perspective on the direction of those past 'energy' lines is slightly changing though. Meaning, the curve up from the coast of SA, which tends to curve around to the east at the top, I would like to begin the lower part of that line to start closer to Mt Gambier (coast) and heading up, then slightly curving to the west at the top. I will do another pic with modified predictive 'energy lines' soon, but I am having trouble with my Paint program on this computer atm.

For the meantime, to compare the current 30 days lot of tremors for Oz to the above old pic, go to here - Geoscience records of last 30 days Australia

WA is also feeling a new run of tremors in the SW and I feel that NSW may also come up with a few in the short term...?

Greece is poking at me for an M5 atm.

The west coast of the U.S. may come up with an M3+.

The tremor behaviours I have referred to regarding Yellowstone and surrounds (states) is ongoing.

For now, Duck.

Edited by duckweather (13/06/2014 11:00)
Edit Reason: spelling once more

#1266187 - 14/06/2014 09:54 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Good morning folks.

SE of Pakenham, near Ballarto Road - NW of Bayles, snuck in a tremor of M1.9 at 16kms deep (Geoscience) very early this morning.
This tremor comes after the tremors - one offshore from Seaspray (M3.2) and the other near Leongatha (M2.6) - both of which occurred on the 21st May 2014.
This activity may show that there could still be another chance for Victoria to experience another tremor, maybe near another coastal spot and/or inland closer to Melbourne....but not sure atm.. (Maybe? towards one of the National Parks in the east of Victoria....

We may see another 'run' of M5's in the west of the Pacific again in the short term. PNG has just come up with a moderate M5.4.
The eastern side of the Pacific may also feel a couple of M5's (+?).

The Central American region - namely Guatemala - came up with a moderate quake like I felt this general region (Central America west coast) may, after my last post.
Greece also came up with an M5 while I was typing my last post - and only discovered this after I had uploaded the post. I was getting a 'poking' feeling focusing on that region, that it may feel a good rattle. Part of me is being slightly drawn to Italy as well for a 'maybe' movement above M3...?
There are some other regions which I am being slightly drawn to, but if I get a chance later, I'll natter on about those too....

For now, Duck.

By the way, after I mentioned changing my 'energy lines' on my old map pic, and mentioned that I may change one of those lines to start near (coast/offshore) Mount Gambier - Mount Gambier seismo went on to register a small rumble (possibly of about an M1 or below...?) I think some folks felt this.

Edited by duckweather (14/06/2014 09:58)
Edit Reason: extra

#1266250 - 14/06/2014 23:15 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi again.

The fairly large Indian Ocean M6.4 which occurred within the last couple of hours, seems to have been possibly at a point on the Australian Plate, where there is a ridge called the Ninety East Ridge (which runs from south to north up the Indian Ocean - well to the west/NW of Western Australia - very roughly about 1000 miles from Exmouth, WA).

I can't find any info on this quake forming any tsunami of any size and the USGS has it as a green quake - no harm.

Maybe if any energy runs off from this quake, it may go either north, south or to the NE or maybe towards/near or from the tip of the coast near Banda Aceh (or further north)-> Padang -> Indonesia...? Could be wrong here and am not talking about a disaster scenario.
Alternatively, some of the energy may filter over to the west coast of Oz (coast)...but again, I could be very wrong here, so don't take my word for it.
I feel that a quake of this size can sometimes set off tremors in 'nearby' regions or maybe be an indicator that the motivation for this type of movement may carry on in a nearby region (by degrees). I tend to feel this could be the case if the movement was plate related rather than focused movement, caused by, for e.g. a volcano.

Another obscure (and maybe very wrong) thought could be that the energies in the Indian Ocean which caused this quake, may go on to perhaps produce another movement in the middle of the Indian Ocean or another may crop up in relation to the new M6.4.

The above is all speculation and not based in scientific knowledge...time will tell if my slight suspicions are right or not.

For now, Duck.

Edited by duckweather (14/06/2014 23:16)
Edit Reason: extra

#1266253 - 14/06/2014 23:33 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Just to add to my last post;

A tsunami warning has been issued for the Cocos Islands, nW of Australia. This warning is for the folks on the nearby islands to stay away from the coastline, in case of possible sea disturbance including strong currents, rips and some altered wave activity. Ships/boats at sea have been advised to stay in at least 25 metre deep waters until they are further advised. The Australian Bureau of Meteorology has stated - "At this stage, no tsunami waves have been observed that may threaten Australia,"

Duck.

#1266256 - 15/06/2014 01:03 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
Popeye Offline
Meteorological Motor Mouth

Loc: Cable Beach - Broome WA
Good work and info duck. Appreciate your work especially when it's close to home.

#1266279 - 15/06/2014 10:53 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Popeye]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Thanks Popeye.

I wish I had more time to be more thorough on info regarding quakes. There is so much information about quakes and potential movements that I'd like to add in here, but unfortunately can only offer bits and pieces on occasions. I'd love to work full time on this kind of research smile If I did, I'd make a concerted effort to learn more of the science surrounding EQ's too.

So far, as I am typing this post, the Indian Ocean hasn't gone on to produce any more movements - which is good. But the reverberations (in small degrees) from the M6.4 may still be stealthily poking around the Indian Ocean, but may peter out.

There are still small jitters popping up in the seismo's in South Australia here and there, which leads me to feel that all is not settled yet. As I have mentioned before - there is never really complete non-movement happening in Oz or elsewhere as Mother Earth is not a static entity. Even though we in Oz sit in the middle of a large plate, we can't be complacent about the potential of moderate quakes - as I highlighted in a previous post, showing the larger quakes in Australia's recorded history.

Big Island Now (dot com) in Hawaii have an article regarding the tremor activity surrounding the Mauna Loa Volcano and how the Hawaiian agencies are keeping an eye on increased volcanic tremor/EQ tremor activity there.
"VOLCANO WATCH: Mauna Loa Showing Signs of Stirring"

There seems to be an increase in tremor activity (combined with volcanic activity) in various places in the world currently. Even in some places which have come as somewhat of a surprise to some communities. The NW India ground fissure, which is/was spitting up flames (etc.) is an example. Regarding the NW Indian fissure, there have been some interesting M4 (and M4+) EQ's popping up in this general and nearby country regions lately - near the NW base (and surrounds) of the Himalayas.

The west of the Pacific revved up again with another run of M4+'s as I felt it may.

For now, Duck.

#1266320 - 15/06/2014 22:51 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi again.

The regions NE of the larger quake in the Indian Ocean, have started to come up with EQ's I felt it may (previous post).
I had a gut feeling that the energy from the M6.4 in the Indian Ocean yesterday was possibly going to assist in setting off some quakes to the north, or east or NE (e.g. in Indonesia). One of the locations I mentioned was Padang - the latest quake has been near Padang - an M4.9.

Temporarily, as I type this post, South Australia has 'settled' a little, and Victoria has had a small jitter on a seismo NW of Melbourne. My house creaked twice about 2 hours ago - no wind outside.
Just had a quick check of the SA seismo's and Hawker has just registered a small jitter. I think SA may still go on to feel another couple of tremors though.

I also feel that we may see another M6 somewhere, which may come up in relation to the Indian Ocean or the Pacific west....but I also get a feeling that I may be 'looking' in the wrong direction.....instead of east/west (along the equator) - perhaps 'north/south' (of the equator)...at a distance..?

For now, Duck.

Edited by duckweather (15/06/2014 22:51)
Edit Reason: spellllling

#1266390 - 16/06/2014 23:02 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi folks.

I have been quietly watching Oklahoma tonight, feeling that it was going to show up with a few consecutive movements. In conjunction with Oklahoma, I also thought that the west coast of the U.S. would feel some rumbles as well. So far, Oklahoma has experienced several reasonable tremors, with the largest so far (and hopefully no bigger ones to come..) an M4.2/5kms deep. The tremors have been describes as jolts - followed by shaking; north/south movements; sustained times of shaking/rumbling; sonic booms associated...and so on - different and some similar reports from the frustrated folks there.

There are more and more reports from various folks (over time) who experience quakes in many locations around the globe, about their observations of animal behaviours - before, during and after quakes/tremors. Some animals may show strange behaviours, such as panic, retreat and hide, become vocal, disappear, become catatonic, display unusual behaviours (contradicting usual 'nature'). Birds may become silent; some sea creatures may beach themselves; some may come up from depths to shallower waters; some may come up from underground to the surface; some may migrate to non-usual habitats....and so on.
The above is a very basic description of what changed behaviours we may sometimes observe in animals pre/during/after quakes/tremors.

Other things we can observe, for example, before [during and after] a tremor may occur could be;
- unusual water behaviours (currents, flow direction, colour, ebb/flow, height, wave rhythms alterations, pond/still water [or other] ripples...etc.)
- houses/structures creaking
- sometimes the wind drops
- unusual cloud formations and sometimes rainbow coloured clouds
- personal experiences of ear-ringing, dis-equilibrium, headaches, vision disturbances, nausea...etc

....of course not all of the above [and more] can be experienced/seen at the same time. But some of those things can become apparent before/during/after a quake/tremor.
I just had a discussion with someone about the brief list of things above and thought I'd put them in this post (again)- hopefully you find this stuff as interesting as I do...

Anyway, Alaska [Noatak] is experiencing another series of tremors with the second last quake being an M5.7 (USGS) and an aftershock of M3+. I am guessing this has been a bit of a bother for the folks there and I hope there is no damage to the folks or their properties.

There have been quite a few quakes on, just above and just below the equator today. I felt there may be one "at a distance - north/south" of such, and I suppose you could say that the Alaskan quake may be an example of what I meant.
So far an M6 hasn't come up "at a distance - south" of the equator.

Japan's quakes 'concern' me a little (or for want of a better description - 'have caught my attention atm'). The Sea of Japan as well as near the eastern coast of Japan has had some reasonably sized tremors in a fairly short succession. Both sides of the island have been affected by 'energy' lurking around this region. I hope there may not be another larger quake to come for Japan.

...I have just realized how much rattled on in this post blush ....so,

For now, Duck.

Edited by duckweather (16/06/2014 23:05)
Edit Reason: spellllling

#1266608 - 18/06/2014 23:11 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi folks.

Japan, the lower regions near Taiwan, has been active and experiencing rather focused EQ activity. This is one of the regions of Japan that I was drawn to. Apparently there are no active volcanoes in this area, but there are some to the north - nearer to/on lower mainland Japan and out to the east (2000kms?) in an undersea volcano.
EQ activity surrounding volcanoes in Indonesia is ongoing atm.

Oklahoma, another region I have been heavily drawn to is still experiencing sporadic M3+'s - the latest an M4.1 about 2 hours ago.....

The regions surrounding the Saudi Arabian Peninsula are still popping up with EQ's and the EQ in South Africa the other day was an interesting - one of those 'surprise' - quake which I haven't seen much info on.

The tremors around the Greece/Western Turkey regions have come up in a circular fashion, as if they are 'running around' the edges of a depression or the edges of something...

Italy has had fewer tremors than I felt it may (which is good of course) considering the eruption of their Etna volcano.

I think some of you may like some of my obscure thoughts and here's a few for y'all;

* I feel there is going to be a period of almost complete 'quiet' on the EQ front - possibly for a strange couple of hours - at some point. Then globally there may be a few very small tremors in a couple of spots, before a larger (M6 or M6+?) may crop up somewhere...as if a snag in some plates occurs (lull) then after the stress builds enough to release a larger quake (pressure/stress release). After this there may be M5's/M4's popping up in various places in a run of activity...?
* Another region may be jolted out of a sense of calm with an 'unexpected' M5 or M5+.
* A monument of national or regional importance may be affected by a tremor - causing engineers to investigate the safety or structural integrity of such.

Some obscure words;
* red dust rising
* 'G' words - Grants, Gap, G...z..? (a town/place with G and Z in its name)
* Black, Gold...
* Peak, (jagged mountain range)

All of the above are just feelings and may mean nothing.

We in lower Oz still may be getting jittery 'bits' of energies running around SA, Vic, WA - NSW may come up with a small tremor. I am getting a feeling of an 'northerly feeling' push coming up from the southern coastline and seas. The Indian Ocean plates may also affect some of the tremors in WA.
Again...just feelings.

For now,
Duck.

Edited by duckweather (18/06/2014 23:14)
Edit Reason: ermergerd..spelling again

#1266684 - 19/06/2014 21:01 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi folks.

Last night I mentioned;
Quote:
* I feel there is going to be a period of almost complete 'quiet' on the EQ front - possibly for a strange couple of hours - at some point. Then globally there may be a few very small tremors in a couple of spots, before a larger (M6 or M6+?) may crop up somewhere...as if a snag in some plates occurs (lull) then after the stress builds enough to release a larger quake (pressure/stress release). After this there may be M5's/M4's popping up in various places in a run of activity...?

Today there was that 2 hour "lull" that I spoke about, which I noticed at 00:51:17 UTC time, in global EQ activity on the Global Incidents Map - EQ's. When I saw this, a strange feeling came over me that this may be the lull I was anticipating, with a build up to a larger quake - M6/M6+.
Post the lull, there were some smaller quakes popping up in several places, then in the last half hour, Vanuatu has had an M6.4
I don't know much about this larger quake yet and if it has caused any issues. It was moderately deep at 60kms, but may have caused some water disturbances - currents, small wave behaviors and maybe some tide changes.

New Zealand has responded, since this larger quake, with M3+'s in various locations, and i think NZ may have had a couple of M4's today.

I don't know if anyone else noticed the following in my region a little earlier, but there was a deep short groaning sound (happened twice in quick succession) coming up through the floor boards and there was a short 'pressure' sound against the eastern side of my house.

Now, as I also mentioned in the quote above, I will be 'watching' for follow on M5's after the Vanuatu quake.
I hope the folks on the islands there aren't affected by this quake.

For the moment,
Duck.

Page 71 of 154 < 1 2 ... 69 70 71 72 73 ... 153 154 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 34 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Today's Birthdays
Ansgar Berling, Instability, Krightlane, lynkim1
Forum Stats
29947 Members
32 Forums
24194 Topics
1529243 Posts

Max Online: 2985 @ 26/01/2019 12:05
Satellite Image