NOTICE!

The Weatherzone forum has now closed and is in read-only mode until the 1st of November when it will close permanently. We would like to thank everyone who has contributed over the past 18 years.

If you would like to continue the discussion you can follow us on Facebook and Twitter or participate in discussions at AusWeather or Ski.com.au forums.

Page 73 of 154 < 1 2 ... 71 72 73 74 75 ... 153 154 >
Topic Options
#1268118 - 29/06/2014 15:55 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Wantirna, Vic
Hi folks.

My suspicion that Oklahoma may have an M4+ was a little out. Eastern Arizona came up with an M5.2 instead. So far there doesn't appear to be any reports of damage to property or persons.
Interestingly, that tremors/EQ's for the western side of the U.S. have been very focused up and down the coastal regions of California (not unexpectedly), but an even more curious last-30 day history of tremors have been those which happen from the regions west of Yellowstone and all the way down to Arizona - almost in a 'straight' line in the regions inland and almost parallel to to the west coast.
Also from the general region of Oklahoma and to the east, there has been a line heading east coming up with tremors - not unrelated perhaps to the New Madrid Fault Line.

Perhaps Hawaii may come up with an M3+...?

I still get a bit of a feeling that the regions around/near Greece may come up with an M5 soon. This may be Greece or Western Turkey or closer to Italy....?

Also I feel that maybe from Kazakhstan down to NW India may come up with an M4+...?

I get a bit of a feeling that an odd M5+(?) may show up on land in a region I can't get a handle on at the moment (too many distractions atm)...?

Iceland is also 'poking' at me atm., but this may mean nothing.

I also feel that a very 'unusual' place may come up with a tremor or quake...maybe a desolate region.

For the moment,
Duck.

#1268146 - 29/06/2014 19:48 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi again.

The South Sandwich Islands, Visokoi Island, has come up with an M7+, with aftershocks. Maybe this was the sort of desolate region (no tourists in this location at this time of year) I may have been getting an inkling for for a quake.

I was getting a gut feeling (at the time I typed my last post) that there was going to be a large quake and that another larger quake was going to be the beginning of a run of M5's (possibly higher around the globe).

Japan's Volcano Islands came up with a larger quake (M6+) which I was anticipating (past post) may occur "near Japan". The volcanoes there have been on my 'mind' lately and kept getting drawn to this region. I also don't discount an EQ occurring maybe nearer to the Japanese coast - off shore (just a feeling - not a prediction).

Rat Islands is re-agitated again - I feel may be as a result or follow on from the Japan Volcano Islands quake.

Arizona, after their M5.2 is experiencing after-movements, which I find interesting and wonder of this may relate to possible (yet to occur) follow-on tremors in Utah and/or Texas? Maybe in the region east of Las Vegas.??? (could be wrong)

The west of the region of Yellowstone has been quite active - re: seismic readings, namely Madison River. I get a feeling that there may be some minor fault lines which could run from the western Yellowstone regions - down south through Utah and Arizona. I would need to double check the 'facts' on that, but they are my feelings... I still feel that Yellowstone may play a part in the tremors felt in Oregon, but particularly Washington to the west.

Anyway, for now, Duck.

Edited by duckweather (29/06/2014 19:49)
Edit Reason: extra

#1268176 - 29/06/2014 23:39 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

My 3rd post for today blush

Just thought I would add this link I have just found....

"Big Earthquakes Double in 2014, But They're Not Linked - Live Science"

I feel that some larger EQ's and some of the moderate to smaller quakes are somewhat predictable, and that there is a linkage sometimes between some larger quakes....and some subsequent smaller rattles.
Sometimes, I feel, some larger quakes don't necessarily set off some other larger quakes, because the physical dynamics which cause the quakes may be unrelated.
Some quakes can be almost predicted when 'you' get a 'feel' for the potential energies lurking in a region and sometimes causing a drag or pull on another region.
For those who know me and my posts fairly well, you will know that I often rattle on about my intuition and some sort of 'sensing' on occasions about when I feel there may be a rumble of some size/kind. Sometimes 'you' can just feel it in the 'waters' smile

There can be a relation between an energy release on one end of a plate with a subsequent affect behaviour/movement on another platal region or on a related (even at a distance) or opposite end/edge of a plate (perhaps involving faults sometimes). A vulnerable location may move before a less vulnerable (more solid) region.

I have used the words 'some' and 'sometimes' alot in this post, as they were the best words my tired mind could come up with tonight.

I could gabble on more about this stuff, but I might do that another time.

For now, Duck.

#1268208 - 30/06/2014 10:16 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Good morning folks.

Well there has been another larger quake, near Tonga, this morning - with after-movements. There are two buoys in event mode nearby, though there have been no reports of a tsunami warning or watch issued - just to watch out for local water disturbances. See buoys here
This region actually had two consecutive M6.8's...

I had a feeling that there was going to be another larger quake in a 'vulnerable' location in the Pacific ('vulnerable' - in my mind - meaning a fairly complex mixed plate location).

Recently I mentioned a line of tremors, parallel to the west coast of the U.S. inland, from west Yellowstone and down to Arizona. I was wondering if these movements may be connected somehow.
Since I posted this, a fellow in the States has just uploaded a video, which has some very interesting historical info; some of his thoughts about this weeks quakes; his feeling of a connection between quakes/tremors etc..
Now I am not saying that 'here is definitive proof' of what I rattle on about, and I'll put the vid in this post just for you folks to have a look at and decide for yourselves. Though I feel that there may be a some sort of connection, as the fellow describes in the vid.

For the moment, Duck.

#1268221 - 30/06/2014 11:27 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

2nd post for today....

I didn't think I was imagining a tremor on the 28th June.
Bass Strait came up with an M3 at 12kms deep, 100kms south of Philip Island.

For now, Duck.

#1268355 - 01/07/2014 17:28 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi folks, just a quick post for the moment...

There seems to be (looking at the SA, Canberra and Vic seismos only at this stage) some energy lurking around these regions. On the seismo's there have been small jitters intermittently and I have actually very slightly felt and 'heard' what I thought were faint rumbles passing through (I have been sitting at my computer working in a quiet house today).
I think Hawker seismo may have registered another small movement in the last couple of hours.
Sometimes I have also seen this sort of intermittent jittering before a moderate or larger quake occurs above Australia or to the NE of Oz - other country - this may even include NZ.

Alternatively, the energy may be coming from the Great Oz Bight or Bass Strait. The Indian Ocean (east of) and the Southern Ocean are not out of the realm of possibility too.

Is something brewing? Larger at a distance or locally on a smaller level - M3+(+?) - time will tell.

For now, Duck.

Ps. I also meant to add that this jittering may be a result of a reverberating vibration ongoing from the recent larger quakes...

Edited by duckweather (01/07/2014 17:31)
Edit Reason: bit extra

#1268494 - 02/07/2014 19:12 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi folks.

Balleny Islands region has finally come up with the (an) M5.4 I felt it would, possibly following on from the fault quakes in New Zealand and be above Antarctica. Balleny is quite a distance from the south of New Zealand, but if you look at the pic below, you can see the location I was referring to in a previous post, when I mentioned my suspicion that this may occur. The pink arrow points to the Balleny quake.

This image is a snippet from the Geoscience website and is uploaded with Imageshack.

The image show the last 30 days of quakes and tremors in Oz and surrounding regions.
You can see that the tremors/EQ's which have come up for Oz are located in those general regions I have eluded to in previous posts as being 'energy' spots and/or some of the locations being fairly vulnerable to tremor activity for Oz,

As I have been working on my computer today, I have been also watching these seismo's for activity, and I haven't been bored - meaning that there has been some faint vibrations/rumbles felt here and SA and NSW have also had some interesting jiggles. What is causing the jiggles?....I reckon that south of our mainland is sending some niggles our way and that the recent Bass Strait EQ may still be offering some minor niggles intermittently.
For WA, some of the energy there may be coming in from the Great Oz Bight and the Indian Ocean.
For the northern reaches of WA and NT (coast) and possibly QLD, the energy for activity may be coming in from the Timor, Arafura and eastern/NE Coral Seas, and the Ocean regions below Java and Denpasar (below the Indonesia southern coast).

The other inland regions of Oz which are in the pic as having experienced tremors in the last 30 days, are not unusual locations for tremor activity.

Anyway, for now, Duck.

Edited by duckweather (02/07/2014 19:14)
Edit Reason: bit extra

#1268548 - 03/07/2014 14:43 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi folks.

I feel that SA may have just had a tremor near Nectar Brook, SE of Port Augusta (the Nectar Brook seismo seemed to register the biggest 'spike').
I think we may have felt it too here in Melbourne (if our movement was related). Our seismo picked up a movement 2 minutes after the SA tremor. My hot-water service (which is currently off) rattled.
Nothing has come up on Geoscience yet...and will wait and see if it was a recordable tremor (my guess a 'maybe' M3 or?) or something else.

For now, Duck.

Edited by duckweather (03/07/2014 14:44)

#1268591 - 04/07/2014 08:33 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Good morning folks.

I have noticed on the current (now) sat pic of Victoria that there are some of those 'static gaps' in the clouds, between King Island and Phillip Island. In mentioning Phillip Island, I mean only to note a 'visual' line between the two points, with the 'gaps' sitting near the centre of the line of those two locations. I will try and put a pic up later, if I can get my computer to behave itself.
Noting these 'gaps' to you is only for the sake of curiosity, not as a prediction of a quake.

New Zealand (off the North Island) is still coming up with the odd larger quake (Kermadecs and surrounds). As with a recent larger quake in this region, the mainland has followed on with some M4'ish movements.

Utah (and surrounds) is experiencing a few tremors, with the northern most tremor atm., closer to Yellowstone. Actually, the closest to Yellowstone on the Global Incident Map/EQ's is in western Montana.

Greater Los Angeles, in California, is currently experiencing a cluster of small tremors. I have noticed this occasional pattern/cluster of tremors on several occasions. In my mind, I feel that this region/location may be a point where the fault lines there are somewhat of an 'elbow joint' (this is not a good description) where some energy meets and 'banks up or snags' at times. My interpretation of the tremor behaviour here may be wrong and not explained well.

Scotland/Britain has come up with an M3 near Fort William (very near my family's land - crazy ). Without having checked my facts here, I think this was a fault line which runs east to west/west to east..??? ...beautiful place Scotland.

Anyway, for now, McDuck.

#1268622 - 04/07/2014 12:04 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi again, 2nd post for today.

I was right about that tremor in South Australia yesterday.
NE of Whyalla, SA had an M2 at 10kms deep.
This was 2 minutes before I noticed my (non-operating at that time) hot water service rattle (as I was cleaning up around it). But I think the one I felt was a small tremor from Bass Strait (related to the Selwyn fault?) or possibly the Selwyn Fault, which reaches up to near here, which I am still waiting to see if Geoscience registers a small (M1?) tremor for here. I actually think that one of our faults may be 'priming' for a small tremor (recordable). We are still getting very small intermittent movements.

Anyway, for the moment, Duck.

#1268678 - 05/07/2014 01:34 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
Petar @ Sdny Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: South West Sydney
Overnight - 5.5 magnitude Solomon Islands and a stronger 6.6 magnitude south of New Britain island, PNG.

#1268715 - 05/07/2014 15:37 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
Petar @ Sdny Offline
Weather Freak

Further moderate quakes around the globe during our Saturday morning with a 5.7 near the Coast of Honshu, Japan. The Kermadec Islands continue to throw off moderate quakes with a 5.2 magnitude.

There also has been a minor Earthquake swarm along Central and Southern California, nothing bigger than 3.0 magnitude.

#1268729 - 05/07/2014 19:26 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Petar @ Sdny]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi T.C. and all.

Finally got a chance to do a bit of catch up on today's quakes.

As T.C. mentioned there have been some larger/moderate quakes today and all of those (over 100?) rattles in the California region (namely Los Angeles).
The L.A. tremors have been fairly continuous in the last 24 hours. I am wondering of this will peter out as the energy moves up and/or down from there [or the movement settles], as another section 'gives' with an M4 or more. Alternatively, this region, maybe around Redlands (not far from L.A.) or down SE towards the Salton Sea (Brawley is just below the southern end of the Salton Sea). Just a feeling - could be wrong.

An obscure thought of mine is that the L.A. tremors [though they may purely related to the plates and faults on the east side of the Pacific] may have a small relation to the larger movements [energy] in the upper west of the Pacific [including the Pacific Islands - west]....?

The Atlantic Ocean, in the general region I mentioned in earlier posts, is still harboring some 'energy', as I felt it might be. The tremors in the far east of Canada may be a result of the movements in the central/north of the Atlantic...? I think there may be a possibility that the Atlantic Ridge movements/energy may be affecting the quakes [plates] in the Virgin Islands region...?

Hawaii may go on to feel another M3 perhaps.
Yellowstone maybe an M2+ soon.

Japan has had an M5+, which I was unfortunately anticipating. I get a feeling that Japan may go on to experience another quake.

We have been getting various intermittent small spikes on our (various Oz states) seimso's...which could be an indicator of the Pacific Plate being rattled and sending off bouts of jitters still, or for the southern states - a stealthy lurking of some energy yet to translate into tremors - coming up from the south...and from the SE and east for NSW...and south, SE and SW (of Vic) for Vic.....will see.

I might pop back in later with some more thoughts...

Anyway, for now, Duck.

#1268745 - 06/07/2014 00:04 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
Petar @ Sdny Offline
Weather Freak

Hi Duckweather and all,

I think I need to change my name cause these days I'm more into Earthquake monitoring....

6.0 MAG hit northern Sumatra earlier in the Nias region. Felt around the region but no reported damage luckily. Further aftershocks along the region have occurred.

Interesting energy release in Poland with a 4.4 or so. At about 10km depth.

I think there is a solid 4.5+ going to happen along the Baja California/Gigelo Rivas Fault off the coast there. Have friends in Los Angeles who have felt slight motions, nothing major so far.

Cheers for now

#1268757 - 06/07/2014 08:56 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
perrywinkle Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Warrawee Valley
Was a 20 second or so tremor of some sort, mid afternoon, in northern Sydney yesterday... anyone know anything? (Didn't have a watch)

#1268758 - 06/07/2014 09:13 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Petar @ Sdny]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Good morning folks.

Just as I felt may occur, an M4+ has occurred just NE of Redlands in California in Big Bear Lake. I had a feeling that this could be an approx region for all of those many small tremors to culminate in an M4 or greater. It looked like a 'sticking' point in a fault line, which could reach a point of slipping once it has got to a point of releasing a 'catch' - referring to the "catch and release" I have mentioned in past posts. Redlands and Big Bear are still experiencing many small tremors at the moment.

One other California region which I feel may experience the potential of an M3 or M4 or M4+, is offshore - SW of Eureka.
Other possibilities (maybe) could be for near the Geysers; San Francisco and/or Salinas (south of San Francisco)....?

I agree that below Cali will be an off shore quake, but maybe west of Mexico.

For the moment, Duck.

P.s perrywinkle wink I'll be back later - will check for you - but I think you are right in what you felt - but the source could be NSW located or NZ.....

Edited by duckweather (06/07/2014 09:21)

#1268767 - 06/07/2014 10:35 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
Petar @ Sdny Offline
Weather Freak

Interesting spot to find a moderate quake take place on the border regions of Lebanon-Syria. 4.1 magnitude. Several aftershocks of 3.0 natures happening. West of Gibraltar had a 3.5 shake.

Re: California, you were spot on the money Duckweather. I also expect some more action in the next 24 hours in this region to continue if not give us a 5.0+ to release further energy.

#1268851 - 07/07/2014 11:32 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Good morning folks.

I thought I'd add some interesting info and a pic here, in relation to the 'hums' which register around the world.
I feel that much of this phenomenon may be naturally produced - re: EQ's, plate movements, volcanoes, beyond earth influences etc...

Below is the current and up-to-date map of reports.

Image a snippet from the hum database and uploaded with ImageShack.

Here is a link to the The World Hum Map and Database Project www.thehum.info

And here is a link to EP about an article on "A mysterious sound is driving people insane, itís spreading ó and nobody knows whatís causing it"

There are quite a lot of articles on the internet about the hums people are being irritated by and science is trying to get to the bottom of the source/s.

For the moment, Duck.

#1268880 - 07/07/2014 18:22 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi again folks.

Now call this ol' duck a bit weird, but I felt/heard a rumble go through my 'ears' and went straight to this seismo set and saw that SA may have just had a tremor. I've had a quick look at some other seismo's for quakes away from the Oz mainland, but I can't find any atm.

Will see if Geoscience puts anything up on its site....or did you guys in SA feel it?

Duck

#1268886 - 07/07/2014 19:29 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
perrywinkle Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Warrawee Valley
We had a hum here, throughout we were going nuts. Two neighbours thought they had tinnitus, and my children got really edgy. The biggest impact was sub-audible (rather like the burble of an elephants call - it could be felt in the guts), but there was a hum and sometimes a shushing noise. One night I was so disturbed by it that I went outside and discovered it was coming from the water mains. When I stood on top of the manhole it was clear that the mains were cavitating, and that the pipes were literally rattling. I rang the water Company and they had an engineer out straight away, shutting it down in an emergency procedure. This was followed by detailed investigations which a seismometer reading around 26hZ. In the end the pipeline was re-engineered with a new air bleed valve, and the annoying hum is now fixed. Looking at how settled the areas are, some reports may have similar sources.

Page 73 of 154 < 1 2 ... 71 72 73 74 75 ... 153 154 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 31 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Today's Birthdays
aussie_thunder, Davem29, Joidy, kymm, Pinhead, Steveo1, tramar
Forum Stats
29947 Members
32 Forums
24194 Topics
1529247 Posts

Max Online: 2985 @ 26/01/2019 12:05
Satellite Image