Topic Options
#1268360 - 01/07/2014 18:22 HP1000 Fine Offset Weather Station Review
davidm Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Orange, NSW
Have just had my new weather station delivered so thought I'd write up a quick review of it. Will update in a couple of weeks when I've had a chance to compare the data with my existing station.

This station is the new shiny version of the old eBay special fine offset weather stations you see around. Bought from this guy at $299. Station was well packed and contained everything I needed to set her up, the pole included was a little short, but for my dodgy mounting on an old fan stand it was long enough. Includes a set of U bolts which seem to be pretty secure.

The station itself looks nice and neat, up close the plastic does look and feel a little cheap, but that's to be expected. The screen is fairly decent, definite upgrade from the older models, no battery backup though, only mains power. Doesn't look to lose any settings on reboot, so at least there's that. The software interface looks good when it's all set up, but the configuration is an absolute pain in the ass. The buttons used for various functions are inconsistent, and though they're labelled it's still a bit off-putting. Entering any text is extremely painful, navigating the onscreen keyboard to type in your wifi password or station details will take ages.

I'd read about a few problems with the firmware on some of these stations so before I configured it I updated the firmware from the manufacturer's website. Update procedure was easy, you do need to have a microsd card lying around though.

Wifi worked straight up and the NTP syncing performed with no worries, no special settings needed for wifi, just the password. This station has automatic uploading to Wunderground via wifi, no need for a PC to interface it with. I had a bit of trouble setting this up, kept getting password errors despite double and triple checking the password. Changed the password on wunderground to something much much simpler and was able to sync, might be an issue with password complexity or length. Data looks good so far, leaving it at 5 minute upload intervals for now to keep the comparison with the old station fair.

For those interested in seeing how the data compares:

Old station
New station

Note: Would take wind direction on both of those with a grain of salt, will do some tests on the new when it's light out, and pressure seems a little dodgy on the old.

Will grab some pics of the two stations tomorrow for comparison.

#1299523 - 15/01/2015 01:33 Re: HP1000 Fine Offset Weather Station Review [Re: davidm]
davidm Offline
Weatherzone Addict

So I never ended up coming back to this review - partly because I forgot about it, and partly because I was waiting on some essential features to be released by the developer.

Have to say, after 6 months of use I'm largely unimpressed. A lot of my problems with it stem from the wireless reception, which isn't exactly a fault of the device, more the environment in which it's used. It would be nice for it to have some sort of external antenna connection though, since hiding the device in a remote corner of the house is suboptimal, and since I can't connect it to a laptop sitting in the shed with greater wifi strength.

Rainfall data has been extremely unreliable, but I would put this solely on the reception issues. A good test is to put your wireless router where you'd put the receiver of this station, then go outside with your phone to where you would put the station - if you can get wireless reception then you'll probably be fine.

The calibration of the device seems to have trouble sticking - I need to change the calibration of humidity and pressure every week or two to match the local BoM station. This last week has been particularly bad for humidity - the station reporting well under 50% when looking out the window it was clearly 99 or 100% humidity.

Wind speed has been pretty accurate, but I don't have a portable meter to test against, so purely going from visual observation. It has missed a few extreme gusts, but it's also not in an optimal mounting position. No complaints with temperature either.

Hardware wise the devices haven't had any issues, reliability is pretty good in that regard. The software hasn't suffered any crashes or unexpected data loss, so it seems like a pretty solid platform.

The developer continues to release updates for the software which is definitely appreciated. Some minor teething issues in the software have mostly been solved, including the password issue I mentioned in the last post.

I've lost power quite a few times and the unit hasn't really skipped a beat with it - the lack of battery backup hasn't proved to be much of an issue for a station that's designed for home users.

In closing - for the price, this is definitely worth it, but not something to brag about. There's nothing impressive about how it functions, and it does have its quirks and annoyances, but all in all it does what it's advertised to do, and it works for who it's marketed to. There's no way this would ever replace something in line with Davis equipment, but it fills a gap in the market nicely.

#1299524 - 15/01/2015 01:36 Re: HP1000 Fine Offset Weather Station Review [Re: davidm]
davidm Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Looks like I also said I'd grab pics of it too. That's something I haven't done, but I have found it one of my pics hiding behind some rocks, so that'll have to do for now!

#1299786 - 15/01/2015 22:38 Re: HP1000 Fine Offset Weather Station Review [Re: davidm]
Monomeeth Offline
Cloud Gazer

Thanks for the review and updates David. This is much appreciated!

Have been thinking about purchasing one of these as I'm looking for a replacement weather station that doesn't need to be connected to a PC to upload to Weather Underground.

#1313666 - 25/02/2015 15:30 Re: HP1000 Fine Offset Weather Station Review [Re: davidm]
davidm Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Worthwhile noting here that the display unit for this died the other day. Refuses to power on, just flashes once then dies. Looks like there are similar reports of this happening: http://fineoffset.com/hp1000.htm

#1313688 - 25/02/2015 16:27 Re: HP1000 Fine Offset Weather Station Review [Re: davidm]
davidm Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Interestingly, this was solved by opening her up and messing around inside. Didn't change much except pulled out the battery and reseated it, and reseated a couple of cables. The display cable is particularly dodgy, so I suspect that is it.

#1421510 - 13/04/2017 11:09 Re: HP1000 Fine Offset Weather Station Review [Re: davidm]
davidm Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Well, the station finally died an unceremonious death. Previous issue with the station screen returned and it did not want to recover. Have now replaced it with a WH2900 which I'll post a review up for shortly.

Overall, I'm still pretty happy with the station - it survived an interstate move and lasted a good few years before dying. I'm not sure I could recommend it for purchase given the price point and build quality, but if you can't stretch to a Davis, then it would probably be worth it.

I'm told the screen issues are fixed in newer models, but can't confirm.

Who's Online
0 registered (), 243 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Today's Birthdays
Ben K, gardener, Thunderpunch, Wezza
Forum Stats
29315 Members
32 Forums
23640 Topics
1456278 Posts

Max Online: 2925 @ 02/02/2011 22:23
Satellite Image