Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#1293219 - 23/12/2014 12:38 Re: VIC - Cold Fronts, Low & Trough; Sultry With Showers & Thunderstorms Followed By Christmas Cool Spell/Cold Outbreak - Dec 20-26 2014 [Re: Lucy]
Lucy Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Lilydale Victoria Creswick Vic...
I spent 16 years on and off down the Otway coast, and yes the weather is certainly different to here in Melbourne, but I still love the climate and place where you live logansi, cool weather equals lots of productive time to get things done comfortably and easily even though a few more degrees would help the tomatoes along,
cheers
L

#1293221 - 23/12/2014 12:45 Re: VIC - Cold Fronts, Low & Trough; Sultry With Showers & Thunderstorms Followed By Christmas Cool Spell/Cold Outbreak - Dec 20-26 2014 [Re: aussiestormfreak]
aussiestormfreak Offline
Meteorological Motor Mouth

Loc: Melbourne (Belgrave); Corryong...
Lucy, is it raining in your area atm? Judging by the radar it looks like you've got showers and thunderstorms over you. smile

#1293222 - 23/12/2014 12:49 Re: VIC - Cold Fronts, Low & Trough; Sultry With Showers & Thunderstorms Followed By Christmas Cool Spell/Cold Outbreak - Dec 20-26 2014 [Re: aussiestormfreak]
Lucy Offline
Weather Freak

No it isn't, I am on the Montrose side of Lilydale, very high up can see the Ben Cairn Ranges, , Donna Buang and Mt. Dandenong from our front deck, looking towards
Inverness Rd. hope this helps,
L

#1293224 - 23/12/2014 12:52 Re: VIC - Cold Fronts, Low & Trough; Sultry With Showers & Thunderstorms Followed By Christmas Cool Spell/Cold Outbreak - Dec 20-26 2014 [Re: Lucy]
logansi Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Portland, Southwest - Victoria
Originally Posted By: Lucy
I spent 16 years on and off down the Otway coast, and yes the weather is certainly different to here in Melbourne, but I still love the climate and place where you live logansi, cool weather equals lots of productive time to get things done comfortably and easily even though a few more degrees would help the tomatoes along,
cheers
L

Yeah i do like it, just this year is a little worse and we are having the family over for Boxing day BBQ

#1293225 - 23/12/2014 13:00 Re: VIC - Cold Fronts, Low & Trough; Sultry With Showers & Thunderstorms Followed By Christmas Cool Spell/Cold Outbreak - Dec 20-26 2014 [Re: Lucy]
aussiestormfreak Offline

No it isn't, I am on the Montrose side of Lilydale, very high up can see the Ben Cairn Ranges, , Donna Buang and Mt. Dandenong from our front deck, looking towards
Inverness Rd. hope this helps,
L

Ah yes I know the area. smile

Very dark and raining in my area atm. smile

#1293228 - 23/12/2014 13:23 Re: VIC - Cold Fronts, Low & Trough; Sultry With Showers & Thunderstorms Followed By Christmas Cool Spell/Cold Outbreak - Dec 20-26 2014 [Re: aussiestormfreak]
Lucy Offline
Weather Freak

A few heavy drops that's all, may I ask what part of the Dandenongs you are in, as radar showing your area to be DRY!!!!!

#1293230 - 23/12/2014 13:25 Re: VIC - Cold Fronts, Low & Trough; Sultry With Showers & Thunderstorms Followed By Christmas Cool Spell/Cold Outbreak - Dec 20-26 2014 [Re: Lucy]
aussiestormfreak Offline

A few heavy drops that's all, may I ask what part of the Dandenongs you are in, as radar showing your area to be DRY!!!!!

In the Belgrave area, we only had a brief shower around 20 minutes ago. Hope we get something more than that... smile

#1293235 - 23/12/2014 14:29 Re: VIC - Cold Fronts, Low & Trough; Sultry With Showers & Thunderstorms Followed By Christmas Cool Spell/Cold Outbreak - Dec 20-26 2014 [Re: aussiestormfreak]
dlcat1 Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Melbourne (NE burbs)
Brief heavy in the Research/North Eltham area. Not expecting anything more substantial and HKs dreaded southerly is cooling things down. Love it myself, still have issues with dessicated plants here.

#1293250 - 23/12/2014 17:17 Re: VIC - Cold Fronts, Low & Trough; Sultry With Showers & Thunderstorms Followed By Christmas Cool Spell/Cold Outbreak - Dec 20-26 2014 [Re: aussiestormfreak]
chasers addict Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Bendigo/ Kangaroo Flat, Vic Ra...
Hurry up need wind as i am still using air condition as very humid outside of 26c..

#1293262 - 23/12/2014 18:29 Re: VIC - Cold Fronts, Low & Trough; Sultry With Showers & Thunderstorms Followed By Christmas Cool Spell/Cold Outbreak - Dec 20-26 2014 [Re: aussiestormfreak]
Petros Offline

Loc: Maffra, Central Gippsland, Vi...
Had "Mackay-like" fat dropped rain rates during 2 squalls that came over Traralgon South this arvo from the NW. No thunder.

At Maffra, we got3mm from overnight light rainy periods and a shower during the day.

Its just started raining here (and cooling ....28 C has dropped to 22C just as I ignited the BBQ).

Playing at Royal Maffra Golf Course tomorrow, so hoping for a nice 5mm from this prefrontal stuff, plus the cold change proper when it arrives out here around midnight.

#1293265 - 23/12/2014 19:16 Re: VIC - Cold Fronts, Low & Trough; Sultry With Showers & Thunderstorms Followed By Christmas Cool Spell/Cold Outbreak - Dec 20-26 2014 [Re: aussiestormfreak]
doogasnow Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: traf/moe south 410m asl/west &...
Between last night and today we had 4mm!Was hoping for
a little more because its drying out really quickly up
here now!

Overnight mild low of 19.4 and max of 26.6

I see a forecast of snow above 1300mtrs on friday morning haha

#1293285 - 23/12/2014 22:53 Re: VIC - Cold Fronts, Low & Trough; Sultry With Showers & Thunderstorms Followed By Christmas Cool Spell/Cold Outbreak - Dec 20-26 2014 [Re: aussiestormfreak]
dlcat1 Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Melbourne (NE burbs)
Ha! Think you'll be wanting a coat if you're lucky enough to be going to the boxing day test.

#1293290 - 23/12/2014 23:22 Re: VIC - Cold Fronts, Low & Trough; Sultry With Showers & Thunderstorms Followed By Christmas Cool Spell/Cold Outbreak - Dec 20-26 2014 [Re: aussiestormfreak]
aussiestormfreak Offline

Lovely weather outside, when I last checked it was around 15C. Windows are open, allowing the indoor temperature to fall, so I should be able to get a good night's sleep! smile

Had a top of 27.9C today, nice to have a few more showers around since the one that came through at 1pm, but the rain was generally light, not enough to measure on my weather station. Only the 1pm shower was the heaviest, and sadly no thunderstorms. frown

#1293293 - 23/12/2014 23:57 Re: VIC - Cold Fronts, Low & Trough; Sultry With Showers & Thunderstorms Followed By Christmas Cool Spell/Cold Outbreak - Dec 20-26 2014 [Re: Hells kitchen]
Dawoodman Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Thoopara; Prossie/ Bayswater
Originally Posted By: Hells kitchen
Originally Posted By: aussiestormfreak
Yes Hells Kitchen I am well aware of that (regarding the "tripe southerlies"), but the only heat that's welcome in my area is heat that is accompanied by high humidity, heavy rain and thunderstorms, that we can surely agree to. I've had enough of hot, dry weather forever, after last summer when conditions in my area were perilously close to that of January/February 2009. That's why I envy the East Coast and Tropical North with its relatively high humidity and summer rainfall. End rant... frown

I don't think bushfire risk is as high as it was back in 2009 and before, as the last few years have been wetter and generally more humid so I'm thinking the bush is not that tinderbox dry. Last few years have been relatively quiet on the bushfire front. Even in January with those multiple 40C days, we didn't see anything remotely approaching 2009 in bushfire severity. The cool and generally humid start to this summer lowers the risk further should we get a hot outbreak.

The bush isn't rather dry at the moment, especially to the west at the moment, however we are only in December.... Black Saturday occurred in Feb, we could be in similar circumstances when February comes around. I personally don't think we will have quite the same risk as 2009 as along with the dryness of everything, fuel amount plays a big role and its only been about 6 years since black Saturday, not enough time for the places effected to make a full recovery in the forests, which can take and estimated 70 years, going by historically significant fires. The danger is likely places that didn't burn on black Saturday, like Mt dandenong, which makes it rather understandable why ASF would rather not get too close to severe fire risks. The dandenongs however has the man power and the accessibility to mitigate a serious event. This year, I believe, will be a bad year for grass fires as the wet we have been having will speed up the growth of the grass and the grass will dry out quicker and will light up more easily.

In other news there is a TC spinning up off WA and I saw some dark clouds today...... Looks like the storm activity will also evaporate as I head up to prosserpine after Christmas which is a bit of a shame frown
I'm keen for a nice cool night for a good night's sleep tonight though. Last night was murder, didn't get under 24 in my room with the fan on!

#1293308 - 24/12/2014 09:21 Re: VIC - Cold Fronts, Low & Trough; Sultry With Showers & Thunderstorms Followed By Christmas Cool Spell/Cold Outbreak - Dec 20-26 2014 [Re: aussiestormfreak]
samboz Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Sale, NthGippsland, S/E VIC
Overcast and cool here this morning.

0.8mm to 9am yesterday and another 2.2mm since.

The mythical green Christmas is upon us, paddocks or bush wouldn't burn here at the mo'.... grin

Having got to this stage after the 100mm + earlier this month we are getting closer to being green in the new year.

Its going very well here this year after a dry period in November that saw most of the country side dried off.

Hope all areas have a good run over summer and the bad fires don't get going.

#1293309 - 24/12/2014 09:44 Re: VIC - Cold Fronts, Low & Trough; Sultry With Showers & Thunderstorms Followed By Christmas Cool Spell/Cold Outbreak - Dec 20-26 2014 [Re: Dawoodman]
aussiestormfreak Offline

Originally Posted By: Dawoodman
Originally Posted By: Hells kitchen
Originally Posted By: aussiestormfreak
Yes Hells Kitchen I am well aware of that (regarding the "tripe southerlies"), but the only heat that's welcome in my area is heat that is accompanied by high humidity, heavy rain and thunderstorms, that we can surely agree to. I've had enough of hot, dry weather forever, after last summer when conditions in my area were perilously close to that of January/February 2009. That's why I envy the East Coast and Tropical North with its relatively high humidity and summer rainfall. End rant... frown

I don't think bushfire risk is as high as it was back in 2009 and before, as the last few years have been wetter and generally more humid so I'm thinking the bush is not that tinderbox dry. Last few years have been relatively quiet on the bushfire front. Even in January with those multiple 40C days, we didn't see anything remotely approaching 2009 in bushfire severity. The cool and generally humid start to this summer lowers the risk further should we get a hot outbreak.

The bush isn't rather dry at the moment, especially to the west at the moment, however we are only in December.... Black Saturday occurred in Feb, we could be in similar circumstances when February comes around. I personally don't think we will have quite the same risk as 2009 as along with the dryness of everything, fuel amount plays a big role and its only been about 6 years since black Saturday, not enough time for the places effected to make a full recovery in the forests, which can take and estimated 70 years, going by historically significant fires. The danger is likely places that didn't burn on black Saturday, like Mt dandenong, which makes it rather understandable why ASF would rather not get too close to severe fire risks. The dandenongs however has the man power and the accessibility to mitigate a serious event. This year, I believe, will be a bad year for grass fires as the wet we have been having will speed up the growth of the grass and the grass will dry out quicker and will light up more easily.

In other news there is a TC spinning up off WA and I saw some dark clouds today...... Looks like the storm activity will also evaporate as I head up to prosserpine after Christmas which is a bit of a shame frown
I'm keen for a nice cool night for a good night's sleep tonight though. Last night was murder, didn't get under 24 in my room with the fan on!

Hope you slept well last night Dawoodman, the low at my end was a chilly 10.4C (currently around 19C with low cloud). Nice cold front on the move to our southwest, hope it brings some good showers tomorrow! smile

The bushfire risk in my area last summer was a LOT higher than Hells Kitchen makes out, so yes Dawoodman it's totally understandable for me to now live in fear of hot, dry weather. This relatively damp weather is good, but it must continue throughout the summer to keep the place from drying out too much! frown

#1293367 - 24/12/2014 18:21 Re: VIC - Cold Fronts, Low & Trough; Sultry With Showers & Thunderstorms Followed By Christmas Cool Spell/Cold Outbreak - Dec 20-26 2014 [Re: aussiestormfreak]
RandomGuy Offline
Cloud Gazer

What's all this complaining about No Thunderstorms, No rain, No this no that....I've been seeing Storm after storm in my area!!!

Oh wait a sec, that's just my photo album from 3 years ago....

frown

#1293368 - 24/12/2014 18:47 Re: VIC - Cold Fronts, Low & Trough; Sultry With Showers & Thunderstorms Followed By Christmas Cool Spell/Cold Outbreak - Dec 20-26 2014 [Re: aussiestormfreak]
Petros Offline

Loc: Maffra, Central Gippsland, Vi...
Emptied out 1.5mm from the gauge after last evenings showers to take me to 4.5mm for past 3 days.

Golf course is nice and green, shouldn't need watering till next week if we get a sprinkle circa Boxing day??.

Heavily overcast here all day, no breeze at all, 23C - great golfing weather! smile

Merry Christmas all!! smile

#1293375 - 24/12/2014 19:26 Re: VIC - Cold Fronts, Low & Trough; Sultry With Showers & Thunderstorms Followed By Christmas Cool Spell/Cold Outbreak - Dec 20-26 2014 [Re: aussiestormfreak]
logansi Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Portland, Southwest - Victoria
Very Calm - partly cloudy day here got up to around 21 so very nice! Merry Christmas to everyone and your families!

#1293379 - 24/12/2014 20:07 Re: VIC - Cold Fronts, Low & Trough; Sultry With Showers & Thunderstorms Followed By Christmas Cool Spell/Cold Outbreak - Dec 20-26 2014 [Re: aussiestormfreak]
aussiestormfreak Offline

A mostly cloudy day at my end, but with some sunny breaks and a high of 22.8C, not bad at all! Getting high cloud creeping in from the west/northwest ahead of the approaching cold front, looking forward to the showers that are predicted with its passage and in the colder air behind it, hoping for some hail and thunderstorms too! smile

Merry Christmas everyone! wink

Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Who's Online
1 registered (Thunderstruck), 313 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Today's Birthdays
Pickles
Forum Stats
29543 Members
32 Forums
23882 Topics
1489304 Posts

Max Online: 2925 @ 02/02/2011 22:23
Satellite Image