Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#1293914 - 28/12/2014 18:50 Pulling the pin
adon Offline
Meteorological Motor Mouth

Loc: Not tellin!
Well unfortunately due to a number of circumstances I have made a decision to move on from farming in the southern mallee. frown. It's been a very hard and long thought over decision and while it breaks my heart not to carry on the family tradition of mallee farming, I have to put the good of my family in front of my heritage.

Drought has hastened this decision but in reality my parents and after dad's death, my mothers refusal to even consider a succession plan and her refusal to say anything to upset one of my brothers was my main driver. It seems she was more concerned with keeping her little cocoon of "peace", rather than helping me secure any future in farming our families land.

I said this to her 6 months ago and even though she said that she would "have to do something" she just kept the usual delaying tactics going.

So it is onward to a new future for me. We will looks to move to "greener pastures". More for distance from the pain and bad memories a 13 year struggle filled with empty words has caused me. I will keep hold of the hope of re joining the ranks of farmers in another area but one has to be realistic and concede that my best hope was the family farm. I am selling all of my stock in a week or 2 and from there will will take stock and see where opportunity takes us. I suppose I have the knowledge that I will leave agriculture with. No debt( and hopefully some spare) to start a new life. I have a job in town so in effect nothing will change apart from having more time to spend with my little family.

I just want to say this to any people who are on a family farm that they are working on with no plan......GET ONE,

#1293959 - 29/12/2014 00:45 Re: Pulling the pin [Re: adon]
ColdFront Offline

Loc: Wide Bay..Near the beach
Good luck with your new venture Adon.

#1293980 - 29/12/2014 09:08 Re: Pulling the pin [Re: adon]
samboz Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Between Maffra & the Mountains...
It's tough farming in the Mallee adon and with the lack of a succession plan you could put the rest of yr life into the farm and be left with bgr all. (You know all that !)

You'll do alright, don't underestimate your skills as farmers accrue more than they think. ie Fwd planning, handling a budget, employing contractors and the hands on machinery operation/repairs, plumbing, building, welding, stock handling etc, etc.....and the biggest assett in my opinion, self motivation, a lot don't have it in the work force.

Best wishes for 2015 and good luck with the move.
Rain 2016-753.5mm.J-173mmF-5mmM-66mmA-32.5mmM-24mmJ-88mmJ-143mmA-17.5mmS-89.5mmO-53.5mmNov-61.5mmDec-26mmTOTAL 2016 - 779.5MM Rain 2017.Jan-9.5mmFeb-23mmMarch-49mmApril-40mmMay-12mmJune-12mmJuly-15mm Aug-36.5mm Sept22.5mmto0800 17/9.(YTD <200mm)

#1294088 - 29/12/2014 18:52 Re: Pulling the pin [Re: adon]
adon Offline

Yeah 2014 was a mongrel year for me. Loosing Dad in Jan and now the farm in December. I will be glad to see the back on it come midnight NYE.....

I am not giving up on ag just yet. I will attempt to find leasing opportunities wherever we go and we still both want a farm house with a few acres to run some sheep and let our son grow up like I did. But yeah the future is unknown but this is a new chapter for us and we will just sit tight for a little whole until we figure out where we will go and what we will do.

#1294103 - 29/12/2014 19:58 Re: Pulling the pin [Re: adon]
roves Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Paringa-Riverland
It is sad to read this Adon my hope and prayers go to you and your family in this trying time in your lives.
I know how it feels to be at that point where the decision has to be made to walk or stay, after many heated debates and heartache it took my dad to get cancer for him to relinquish the reigns and things to change, thankfully he is still around so it worked out in the end though the struggle being a farmer continues.
Again I wish you all the best in the future Adon and whatever path you choose it be very fulfilling.

Edited by roves (29/12/2014 19:59)

#1294168 - 30/12/2014 07:14 Re: Pulling the pin [Re: adon]
adon Offline

Thanks Roves, Dad had cancer for 20years but he would not do anything re succession because he didn't like any dramas with family arguments. But sweeping stuff under the carpet for years only makes things worse and instead of a minor dummy spit and moving on, it has come to this. The frustration it has caused me over the years knowing the only reason they refused to do anything was for their own selfish desire to keep "peace". As long as there were no dummy spits from my brother everything was fine as far as they were concerned.

I should have gone years ago in reality. But I probably would never have met my wife so in that regard it was worth it.

#1294190 - 30/12/2014 10:35 Re: Pulling the pin [Re: adon]
ozone doug Online   content
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Roma SW QLD Eye to the West...
Sorry to hear this Adon .But it sounds like the right move .yes use New year to take time to think and plan a new dream with your wife you are a smart thinker you will do well.cheers.

#1294667 - 01/01/2015 15:04 Re: Pulling the pin [Re: adon]
Azzad Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Karratha
All the best Adon, I truly believe that 2015 is the year for new beginnings, keep strong, the key to the future is learning from the past. All the best mate and remember every decision you make is the right one!

#1294681 - 01/01/2015 16:20 Re: Pulling the pin [Re: adon]
RC Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: near Rockhampton, Qld
Many times I have seen in family businesses where one does the majority of the work and the others benefit.. Seen one partner in a business work themselves silly for little pay while another partner went out and made money elsewhere, then when well setup, demanded the partnership dissolve and they receive well above their fair share resulting in them being extremely well off while the one that did all the work still battling..

#1294731 - 01/01/2015 18:26 Re: Pulling the pin [Re: adon]
adon Offline

I was finding myself digging my own grave really. I decided not to do any fence maintainence as it was basically working on someone else's place unpaid and potentially having to pay more for it. But worst of all was one brother did not want me to have it so he would keep token amounts of pet sheep in big paddocks and refuse me access to them. My mother always wanting to avoid his dummy spits let this carry on for years. The drought this year meant I was going to have to sell anyway but what's the use in spending many thousands re buying sheep only to have the same thing happen again in a year or twos time? Time to make the unbearable decision to move on. He has had his win but I am not going to destroy my family for the farm. A property which I had to buy half of and then double the size to be viable. I would be in debt for the rest of my life, still living in the same town with a man I now hate, do not trust not to sabotage anything if I was not there and living with the knowledge he will never leave. Mum was never going to change. She has not for 13 years! When I told her she asked whether if I could buy the farm now would make any difference knowing fully that buying that place without anything to use as equity is impossible. I don't think she will ever understand that this is all her making. The drought is the only thing here that is out of her hands.

I reckon finding a new place for a new start will be good for my family. We just have to figure out where

Edited by adon (01/01/2015 18:31)

#1294766 - 01/01/2015 20:32 Re: Pulling the pin [Re: adon]
Petros Offline

Loc: Maffra, Central Gippsland, Vi...
There was a session on farm succession on the ABC radio only days ago. If you didn't hear it Adon, its probably podcast.

Never mind, you've made your decision.

One pertinent point that moved me, was a caller, a wife like yours, who really had a moving point of view. From her perspective, she had lost faith in a husband that continually dithered for decades in the same situation. You have not.

You would walk into any supervision job going out there at the moment. Be it the power industry, construction or manufacturing. If you be yourself, you wont need to "practice" ahead of any interview situation, from my experience, from what I've read of your thoughts over many years, finding a job will not be an issue mate.

Re your family, I would bite the bile, think of your child and the benefits of growing up knowing Gran and the cousins. What if you got run over by a bus?

#1294794 - 01/01/2015 22:17 Re: Pulling the pin [Re: adon]
adon Offline

Petros thanks for the kind words. Forums are a place I can speak my mind a little more than real life sometimes but thanks for the sentiment!

Re the family, mum is in no state to look after the young bloke. Her health and her fitness are way below the demands of our little tacker. He has me stuffed after a full day with him! When we move, we are going to move closer to My wife's mum in Sydney. But neither of us could live in a city. So we will look for a regional centre to settle near. Funny thing is here, we basically have no support structure for us anyway. Mum is not able to look after him, friends are all too busy with their kids and lives and the rest of my family are in Melbourne.

We both think for our sanity that a move far away from here is best. Personally I cannot think what life would be like not being able to wander around that place after it is sold. Mentally I don't think I would be strong enough. Distance will be the only thing that can treat the wound I have.

Unfortunately I have the feeling that my name has been tainted in the town. I cannot explain the depths that this scum has and will go to. He has even taught his autistic son to shout out that I am naughty in the shops in town. There are reasons I must leave. Many many of them. This has not been a quick decision. It has been long and deeply thought over. I have had countless sleepless nights over it.

In hindsight I should have never even got into this position but that's the lure of the land. Working with Dad not only gave my teenage self a sense of worth but also belonging and time spent with one of my best mates(dad). Deeply flawed in some areas as he was, I loved him(and still do) deeply and the time we did get to spend together working like we did will always be precious to me. It is also because of those fond memories, I need to leave because they are being replaced by feelings of frustration, anger and hate towards the family involved. Leaving now might not heal the broken bonds but may stop it getting worse.

I never intend to have anything to do with my brother again. None of the other siblings will either once mum has gone and probably sooner. His behaviour has long been a source of embarrassment and frustration to us all. As is the lack of ticker from both my parents to nip it off at the bud many years ago. It seems unbelievable that an illiterate not fully functioning man has done so well at ruining a family farm that has been in our name since the late 1870s. But him and my parents did it.

I suppose I might be able to thank my mining experience for being able to make tough calls even though they may not be easy to make or easy to deal with. In that line of work I was regularly making decisions that many other even more senior than I (I was VERY LOW LEVEL) were game to make. When a plant costs $60k an hour to stop and you make the call to stop it for 6 hours, you need to be able to justify it. I had people from high up in the crystal towers calling me and questioning me but I never backed off from them and they never once over ruled me. I am not sure whether it was confidence in decision made by me or the lack of guts to overrule for fear of being wrong! Anyway my only regret is delaying this decision now that I have made it.

But if things go even ok I should be able to walk away debt free which is a hell of a lot better than many. I have a job in town and my wife is just starting to return from maternity leave so financially we are no problems. I just have a burning need to leave and go somewhere fresh and where I am just another blow in. It will be great to make new friends that we can feel at home being around. The worst thing about a small town is EVERYBODY knows you are your family.

#1295272 - 03/01/2015 08:07 Re: Pulling the pin [Re: adon]
Squid Offline

Loc: Murgon
When you go hold you head high and know that you done your best, and if you walk away debt free that is something to be proud of. It sounds like a freash start is what the dr has ordered.

#1295367 - 03/01/2015 11:17 Re: Pulling the pin [Re: adon]
SBT Offline

Loc: Townsville Dry Tropics
You have made the right decision Adon. If holding on to the farm was causing so many problems then you have done what a lot want to do but don't have the guts to do. Walk away. Out of debt. Out of the life of your brother and the town that sounds like it has turned their back on you.

Move on, concentrate on your immediate family and your mental well being.

If you need a hand ask for it. You will land on your feet in a new location.

Think of it this way. You left before you became yet another farming suicide. It so easy becomes the only option when you are trapped in your situation and don't see any other way out. This is what happened to an uncle of mine in WA. He was a wheat and sheep farmer in the south west that turned to the bottle after years of low prices and drought and after 20 years of battling booze and failed farms he hung himself from a windmill. The results of which have been devastating his family for the last 30 years. So never think you haven't dome the right thing by yourself.
2016 Total 649mm
2015 Total 375mm
2014 Total 1032mm
2013 Total 715mm

#1295442 - 03/01/2015 13:17 Re: Pulling the pin [Re: SBT]
adon Offline

I haven't given up on the town just yet SBT but sometimes it feels like I am being talked about. Hard to explain but I have not been banished!

But yeah thanks for the kind words guys

#1295863 - 04/01/2015 12:34 Re: Pulling the pin [Re: adon]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Wantirna, Vic
Hi adon.

I have been quietly keeping up with this thread and the great support for you that other members are posting for you.

I too feel that you are making the right decision for you and your family. The full reward for moving on, even though you will always carry with you your fondest memories from where you are now, will be even more clear as time goes on.
It is a mark of strength to accept your decision to move on and give your family a fresh start.
I wish you and your family all the very best, and I am confident that you will succeed and be much happier with your new future.

Cheers to you, Duck.

#1295879 - 04/01/2015 13:24 Re: Pulling the pin [Re: adon]
adon Offline

Thanks Duck! Very kind words! I just have to make it through to the sale and then a lot will be off my mind. My stock agent got the sale date wrong and so just found I pout in have another week to wait......bugger. So now I am scrambling to find enough enough feed to get them through. I had planned on only getting to Wednesday this week so I up had just enough to do the job and not I have 7 more days. Adding to that the forecast of rain and lot of it...(typical now I have made the call! )'adds the damage of being to wet to get them onto a truck! Oh the irony!!

#1295895 - 04/01/2015 14:23 Re: Pulling the pin [Re: adon]
Homer Offline

Loc: Dural
You've come this far adon. Please just get through another week.
As others have said, you are making the right decision.
Have strength in your convictions. You will get there.
I feel, having read your thoughts, the worst is behind you.
Good luck, and keep airing your thoughts. It's good to release.

Homer.

#1296007 - 04/01/2015 18:54 Re: Pulling the pin [Re: adon]
S .O. Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Southern Victoria
Have been reading with interest , [ I too at some stage walked away from a family business ] . You need to take that " leap of faith " and then stay strong to your convictions . We know from past posts that you do and have . (At some stage I remember you saying/writing that you didn't crop one year ) . So if so , you've proven your mettle . And regardless of the outcome of that past decision , it was by all accounts a fair call .
I wish you the best of luck in regards to getting your stock out , and from then on have the confidence to continue to be your own man .
Best of Luck .
Pete

Edited by S .O. (04/01/2015 18:55)

#1296067 - 04/01/2015 21:13 Re: Pulling the pin [Re: adon]
adon Offline

At the present moment my mettle is being tested to it maximum. I have had to hand feed them for the last 6weeks. I just went to check on the last bin of feed I had and.......gone. Don't know where don't know how long ago but it's gone. So now I have to figure out how to get more feed for them while having to go back to work tomorrow. I have to get 10days worth of feed but due to this weather forcast next weekend I may not be able to load that from my yards. If that happens well there is another 2 weeks to wait...... I have slept for maybe 3hour in the last 48 and I don't reckon I will be getting much tonight.

Why oh why does leaving this place have to be so bloody hard! It seems there is a [censored] at every bloody turn! If god is behind this....what the hell do you want me to do mate? I have had 13 years of non stop struggles stress and fighting. And now I have made the call to leave it's even bloody worse! Not that I am in the place but you see how so many end it.

#1296103 - 04/01/2015 22:26 Re: Pulling the pin [Re: adon]
S .O. Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Nothing I can say will help .
But it sounds like your options are try to have your sale date changed or even location changed . Where were they booked to sell from ?! .
Or , when your certain that the rain will fall try to waterproof the pickup yard and road to it . Obviously this is a naive take on it . Do you have other avenues to sell from . Or even somewhere or someone to help ?
I know it sounds dumb , but could your brother help . After all he would be helping you to leave ? Which sounds like it was his goal ?!?
I'm usually good at problem solving but when it comes to farming , I'm miles from reality . Perhaps if you shared where the sale would be , maybe there could be someone that someone knew that could offer short term agistment in a location that wouldn't be too badly impacted by rain . Clearly you'd have double handling , but I'm just trying to throw out any sort of option for you .

#1296114 - 04/01/2015 23:04 Re: Pulling the pin [Re: adon]
adon Offline

Sale dates in yards are set. Every 2 weeks so unless somebody pays me for them and takes them like now then now I can't really do much. I have got enough hay for a while organised so that hopefully will come ASAP. As for my brother....his solution would be be shoot them all. It's just a bloody joke. The agistment thing, well I have been trying for 6 weeks to get some but the way things are around here that's not going to be an option. My uncle across the road has been a huge help and still is. But he doesn't want to put them on his place for fear of them powdering his place too. If it rains at least there will be green feed starting to come up if the worst happens and I cannot get them in. But really I just want to be rid of them now. So I can move on.

#1296117 - 04/01/2015 23:16 Re: Pulling the pin [Re: adon]
S .O. Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Where are the sale yards ? Local ? Regional ?
If it's only an inconvenience and rain would self sustain them . Then that's the cards you'll have to play with ?!?
Did you get any rain out of those storms yesterday ?

#1296133 - 05/01/2015 01:17 Re: Pulling the pin [Re: adon]
adon Offline

4mm. The sale yards I have to go through are 100km. There are closer but not sure when they start. If I sold through those one I would half the price I get. Bit complicated.

#1296134 - 05/01/2015 01:39 Re: Pulling the pin [Re: adon]
S .O. Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Is it much more expensive to go further than 100 kms ?!? Could you double handle them ?

#1296136 - 05/01/2015 05:15 Re: Pulling the pin [Re: adon]
adon Offline

Thanks for your help mate but in reality it's the lack of time I have that is the major stress here. Because I am going off to work in 2.5 hours and don't knock off till 4 I just don't have the time to chase around anything like that. I find myself relying on neighbours and my poor uncle too much. He must dread picking up the phone now!

It's just a bad time of year because of the festive season shutdown. I should have sold them in November. But it's always the bloody time factor that catches me out. I didn't have any RDOs or help to get all the new lambs marked and you cannot sell un tagged sheep. God a can't wait till these things go. I reckon it will be like the de stress I should have had in my time off!

If anyone else is reading this let this be a lesson to you. Having livestock and a job doesn't mix.

I will be making calls once the time of day is decent and it's going to cost me a fair bit I reckon but I will get enough hay for a couple of weeks and also the same in grain. If I sell them on time, I will have stuff that might go to waste but that's the price for the pickle I am in. Damn it.......well best try and sleep again.

Edited by adon (05/01/2015 05:18)

#1296174 - 05/01/2015 10:38 Re: Pulling the pin [Re: adon]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi adon.

You are under a lot of stress obviously. If it is any help to you, remember we are 'all' here, that little positive elf on your shoulder telling you to keep hanging in there and encouraging you all the way.

One step at a time, even though it's a challenge at the moment, and you can tick off those 'sorted out' boxes as each day/week goes by. You will get there. It may seem like forever that this is going on and on at the moment....but there is a light at the end of the tunnel once everything is sorted.

Best wishes, Duck wink

#1296316 - 05/01/2015 22:38 Re: Pulling the pin [Re: adon]
Farm Weather Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: West Mallee SA
all the best adon been a tough run in mallee since 2000 basically only 3 decent years.
seems your acting logically and in a rational way even though stress is eating away will be a relief eventually.

#1296346 - 06/01/2015 07:44 Re: Pulling the pin [Re: adon]
samboz Offline
Weatherzone Addict

You're going OK adon, you have a strong grasp on the things you need to do to reach some very valuable family goals.

Perhaps the stock agents need to get off their a@ses and find some short term agist. near the yards pre sale/rain if they want to earn some commission.

The positive side from widespread rain is that saleyard demand for your sheep will be better due to feed availabilty.

Nearly there mate, looking good.
Rain 2016-753.5mm.J-173mmF-5mmM-66mmA-32.5mmM-24mmJ-88mmJ-143mmA-17.5mmS-89.5mmO-53.5mmNov-61.5mmDec-26mmTOTAL 2016 - 779.5MM Rain 2017.Jan-9.5mmFeb-23mmMarch-49mmApril-40mmMay-12mmJune-12mmJuly-15mm Aug-36.5mm Sept22.5mmto0800 17/9.(YTD <200mm)

#1296580 - 06/01/2015 22:05 Re: Pulling the pin [Re: adon]
adon Offline

It's not the stock agents fault, the one I have now is best I have dealt with. Problem is that nobody wants to have sheep on their farms in this dry. That might all change by the sound of it(the dry). Also I have myself in such a hole that I neither have the time to check on them but I don't have a ute to drive to them to check. I have always just used dads old Berger that is not registered as they were only at home on the block so I never had to drive on roads. I had the agistment option but the block(a friend) is in the same position as I am with a job in town and he doesn't have the time to check on them either!

I was looking for agistment for the last 2 months really and because if the season we experienced everybody is very edgy about putting sheep onto very dry paddocks with lass than ideal cover. Any where that does have the cover here are further north where the season was better but they are also 100% cropping and so they either have no fences of what they do have are not stock proof.

Carting stock a large distance only to cart them back for sale is a bit stupid and costly to boot.

I am just hoping that if this huge rain does come off, there will be grass everywhere so at least the feeding will slow down. Just need to get them gone.

I got my hay today and grain will be there tomorrow. With any luck, I will not have to buy any more again.

Edited by adon (06/01/2015 22:05)

#1298142 - 10/01/2015 00:17 Re: Pulling the pin [Re: adon]
Homer Offline

Loc: Dural
It's been a few days adon.
Hope things are going ok still.

#1298321 - 10/01/2015 14:28 Re: Pulling the pin [Re: adon]
samboz Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Nothing like some feed to generate some buyer interest adon, the rain is changing the situation for you, apart from the transport to the yards issue the rain will be very good for buyer confidence.

And what's the chances of 20mm ++ of rain in the Mallee in January with a promise of more. Someones looking after you.

edit spelling.

Edited by samboz (10/01/2015 14:29)

#1298360 - 10/01/2015 16:19 Re: Pulling the pin [Re: adon]
adon Offline

Sorry I typed a responce but I must not have pushed the go button. Anyhoo yeah the rain has pushed back a sale but also might have helped too. I will fill you all in more when I have got it sorted.

#1299209 - 13/01/2015 16:37 Re: Pulling the pin [Re: adon]
DaveM Offline

Loc: Bathurst NSW about 700 m asl
Good luck Adon, I don't usually post in the topics that you tend to be in but I always enjoy reading your thoughts.

Good luck with it all. I hope we continue to hear from you in the future. We lost our house and all our money in a business failure about 6 years ago. I was about 50 then, a bit hard starting again but as you said, at least you will not be in debt when you finish. A great shame re leaving the farm but sadly it's happening to way too many people.

All the best. Dave

#1300223 - 17/01/2015 15:18 Re: Pulling the pin [Re: adon]
adon Offline

Well they all left today.......I have a strange feeling of relief mixed with absolute grief. Mum still doesn't get that her lack of decision making has caused my departure. I don't know whether it's pure stupidity or she just chooses to ignore the facts.

Anyway that is a chunk of my life and in some ways, the best years of my life wasted..... Reality has kicked in and I realise that I will probably never get the chance to work for myself ever again. Even though it is not true I feel I have nothing. No direction, no goals, no......future apart from doing something just to pay bills. I have always worked away from the farm in the knowledge that this was to make ends meet until things changed. Now I don't have that. Scary indeed.

I will try to farm again. But in reality my wife will never be happy piggin it out again in some rural [censored] that has nothing for her. We will end up buying a house in a regional centre where she can get a job she feels is a good career and the mortgage will see to it that I never have anything spare to lease land/buy stock.

I might have to find a pub later on.

#1300341 - 17/01/2015 20:11 Re: Pulling the pin [Re: adon]
boxsey Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Aitkenvale, Townsville
Thinking of you adon.

#1300826 - 19/01/2015 09:39 Re: Pulling the pin [Re: adon]
DaveM Offline

I worked for myself for about 6 years and it cost me my house and all my money, we are like you in that we now work for others just trying to pay the bills and try to get a house paid off enough so my super will cover the cost when (if) I ever retire.

It feels numbing at times but we decided to not think about it too much and just try and go a day at a time. Not very uplifting though!!

Hang in there and do whatever needs to be done. Like us your dreams seem to be lost but I've seen that this happens in one form another to many more people than we think.

Time to push on and do whatever it takes to get by, and the very best of luck. Know that people care.

#1305713 - 04/02/2015 23:10 Re: Pulling the pin [Re: adon]
adon Offline

Well it's over...... After a long and drawn out process, the sheep finally sold today. Of all the times to rain, it had to rain just before the sale my sheep were supposed to go and therefore the truck could not get in to load them. Fancy that eh? Drought all year and I could not sell them because of wet weather..... Hffff.

Anyway my stock agent found some agistment for me and they were shifted a few days later. A buyer was found and they took them today. The price? Well I am happy, I didn't get ripped off but their value to me was more than just money. But we will be out of debt and I have enough to do a few things to my fishing boat and maybe have a weekend away, no I have the time to do it.

Will I ever be a farmer again? Well I will never rule it out, it's all I have ever wanted to do but to be realistic, it will be difficult unless some things go my way.

So in the next few months, I will use the time that was spent either dealing with sheep or stressing about the farm to enjoy my family, do some things around the house and garden and hopefully do some fishing. I will also be keeping an eye out for an opportunity to leave the area in search of greener pastures. Thanks for all who have expressed their kind thoughts and support. I will hang around these forums still. Weather and the interest in it never dies with farmers!

#1305738 - 05/02/2015 09:05 Re: Pulling the pin [Re: adon]
DaveM Offline

Be good to read your comments as usual. smile

#1305760 - 05/02/2015 11:56 Re: Pulling the pin [Re: adon]
orangeroughy Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Orange, NSW
Goodonya adon for tellin' us about what's been happening at not tellin'. smile

Glad you're sticking around here.. cool

#1306126 - 07/02/2015 12:43 Re: Pulling the pin [Re: orangeroughy]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi adon.

If I may say so, you even 'sound' a little more relaxed now that the sheep are sorted and other things are more in your favor.
Thanks for sharing your story with us all - it has been a hard road for you - but we've 'been here' for you all the way.
Now....go fishing.....

Cheers to you, Duck.

#1306240 - 07/02/2015 19:04 Re: Pulling the pin [Re: adon]
samboz Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Lot of bends in every road adon, have a spell w/o the worry of stock, rain etc etc.

Fishing sounds good :-)

#1321668 - 23/03/2015 23:02 Re: Pulling the pin [Re: adon]
adon Offline

Well I have had some salt rubbed into the wounds today. I have just found out that my alleged mother has set a small area aside so the oxygen thief of the family can continue to run his pet sheep on. I am now pretty sure that this has been her plan all along.

She has always favoured him and I think that she has been playing the delay game until Dad died and I got sick of waiting so she could then go against dad's wishes and give it to my brother.

It hurts enough to be lied to and played but the feeling is amplified to monster proportions when it's your own mother.

Well she will never see her grandson again nor the baby on the way.
Never trust family......they will kick you in the guts just the same as any other scum off the street.

#1345012 - 26/10/2015 11:16 Re: Pulling the pin [Re: adon]
SBT Offline

Loc: Townsville Dry Tropics
Long time no read Adon but family are the worst people to deal with. Case in point. My son in law stumped up $160K via a personal loan to buy a half share of his Mums farm in Tasmania to get her out of a financial debt that was threatening to take the farm away from her. Being family they did it all on a handshake with no survey done and no tile changed hands so he basically is in a position of he said, she said. She and the next door neighbour are supposed to be granting him an easement to get access to the 200+ acres he now owns but she has delayed him from putting in a track. Now to sort it out he needs a survey, council planning, solicitors, conveyancing etc which he has an estimate of another $25 to 30K to sort out. Never do business with family is the moral of this post and backs up what you have been saying. She is nice enough can't see why she needs to do anything with documentation.
2016 Total 649mm
2015 Total 375mm
2014 Total 1032mm
2013 Total 715mm

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Who's Online
13 registered (justme, Foehn Correspondent, Timbuck, J Pabo, A sunshower, ozone doug, Befour, Sidney, grayarea, SteveB93, joesk, Steve777, Wave Rider), 353 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Today's Birthdays
Andrew_C, Bindon, Leasy, Nikko, rainthisway, sutek, Tropicana
Forum Stats
29368 Members
32 Forums
23684 Topics
1462124 Posts

Max Online: 2925 @ 02/02/2011 22:23
Satellite Image