Page 65 of 303 < 1 2 ... 63 64 65 66 67 ... 302 303 >
Topic Options
#1300483 - 18/01/2015 11:53 Re: What's happening in Tassie? [Re: yep]
gregr Offline
Cloud Gazer

Loc: Howrah, Tasmania
Originally Posted By: yep
Nothing has settled up there, would be very rare if it did in any January, even right at the top.

( I notice the Weatherzone story said there was a "dusting"...that is false reporting and appears to be a straight out guess ).

Speaking of cool weather and snow, check out the mt mawson snow cam.

#1300784 - 18/01/2015 23:10 Re: What's happening in Tassie? [Re: duckweather]
snowbaby Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Albany, W.A
If that was a bit less patchy I'd see it as a bit more than a dusting - in my snow starved kneck of the woods I'd have probably called dusting to be a little understated.Dont imagine there's enough elevation left for there to have been better cover at the top.

Dusting is one of those terms I think often difficult to gauge - seems to cover a wide range of conditions...

#1300825 - 19/01/2015 09:33 Re: What's happening in Tassie? [Re: duckweather]
DaveM Online   content
Meteorological Motor Mouth

Loc: Bathurst NSW about 700 m asl
Adele, the north of the state is regularly airconditioned via evaporation. When Hobart has a high 30's day, most of your area only goes to about 25 or 26. The breeze comes over Bass St bringing moisture. That dampness can make it feel cool more often.

When it's really cold though, the water nearby tends to moderate the cold a bit as well. Unless you are a bit further inland away from the coast.

You most likely won't have many out and out hot days there despite other parts of the state copping heat at times. smile

#1302184 - 22/01/2015 09:24 Re: What's happening in Tassie? [Re: duckweather]
DaveM Online   content

The 540 line gets mighty close to the bottom edge of Tassie in a couple of days. In years gone past I have seen it snow in Mt Field (see pic above) with the 540 in a similar position. It so happens that link above keeps updating so it might be interesting to look for light flakeage on the weekend in that photo. Not very likely but definitely possible!! smile

#1302241 - 22/01/2015 12:11 Re: What's happening in Tassie? [Re: duckweather]
yep Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Hobart
Anyone know what that thready white stuff is, looks like some sort of netting?

#1302256 - 22/01/2015 12:50 Re: What's happening in Tassie? [Re: duckweather]
DaveM Online   content

Yes it is netting, I always assumed it was to consolidate the loose rocky bits and perhaps encourage some plant growth over time and thus hold it together better.

I notice the drift fence has plenty of new timber on it too.

#1302655 - 23/01/2015 15:41 Re: What's happening in Tassie? [Re: duckweather]
yep Offline
Weather Freak

Probably so, to stop erosion, whilst at the same time allowing the sun through.

#1304050 - 27/01/2015 20:12 Re: What's happening in Tassie? [Re: vjknight]
vjknight Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: AscotVale, Inner NW Melb
Originally Posted By: vjknight
the kids are disappointed there will be no swimming next week in tassie, but still looking forward to the trip.

the initial forecast proved to be wrong. muggy start then a few glorious warm days around launceston.
had a great time. will be back.

but only in january/february. wink

#1304154 - 28/01/2015 09:09 Re: What's happening in Tassie? [Re: duckweather]
DaveM Online   content

Nah go back in the cooler months and it's actually magnificent!!

Autumn in Tassie is stunning. Spring has the craziest weather of the year, autumn the most settled and endless blue sky days.

#1304387 - 29/01/2015 10:50 Re: What's happening in Tassie? [Re: duckweather]
slipperyfish Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: South Mission Beach QLD
I may be relocating down to wonderful Tasmania in the future. Being from NQ I would imagine that we will be in for a bit of a culture shock. I was wondering what we should expect in the way of heating costs and if we are looking to buy a house, what kind of heating is better.

Your responses would be much appreciated

#1304394 - 29/01/2015 11:22 Re: What's happening in Tassie? [Re: slipperyfish]
Ollieo Offline
Cloud Gazer

Loc: Mundingburra
Hi slippery, I went the opposite way to you and moved from Hobart to NQ a few years ago. The best thing you can do to keep heating costs down is pick the right house to start with. Something that faces North with less glazing to the South, East and West works best. Well insulated of course!
If the basics are in place there you won't need to run a heater as often, but when you do a heat pump (Or reverse cycle air-con as you call it up here!) is reasonably efficient. On the coldest nights though, a wood heater is a great luxury to have. It just makes it that little bit cosier.

Whenever I go back for holidays I find that you acclimatize the fastest if you get outside in the cold, kinda like ripping off a band-aid!

#1304408 - 29/01/2015 12:43 Re: What's happening in Tassie? [Re: duckweather]
slipperyfish Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Thanks Ollieo. Obviously you are talking about the inverter systems. Someone suggested Gas heating as well.

Also best suburbs in Hobart, and ones to stay away from ?

#1304418 - 29/01/2015 13:13 Re: What's happening in Tassie? [Re: slipperyfish]
Ollieo Offline
Cloud Gazer

Loc: Mundingburra
Gas is good where a fixed line is available. I'm not a huge fan of replacing bottles where it's not. It is a nice 'type' of heat. Inverter systems can feel a little dry sometimes.

There's plenty of suburbs to avoid! Hopefull I don't offend but the old saying used to be to stay South of Creek Road (The Flanellette Curtain).
That said there are plenty of great places to choose from, but like anywhere they all have better and worse little pockets. Everywhere has a view, something you take for granted until you move to Townsville! Are you looking for something central or a little more room?

#1304421 - 29/01/2015 13:26 Re: What's happening in Tassie? [Re: duckweather]
slipperyfish Offline
Weatherzone Addict

It will all depend, whether work will be based in Moonah or Cambridge. That has yet to be decided. I have noticed that the prices have certainly gone up since last time I looked a few years ago. I guess the Victorians have discovered the little secret on their doorstep.

I like the areas of Bellerive up to Geilston Bay. I would love to be able to afford closer to the city, but reality is reality.

Obviously being in the Towers open space is taken for granted, so not opposed to a nice little plot, however I will be very busy so maintaining a large yard might not be advantageous.

I really do appreciate your time to give me a bit of insight.

#1304599 - 29/01/2015 22:38 Re: What's happening in Tassie? [Re: slipperyfish]
MOUNTAIN h2o Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Hobart Lenah Valley Tas 198 as...
Originally Posted By: slipperyfish
I may be relocating down to wonderful Tasmania in the future. Being from NQ I would imagine that we will be in for a bit of a culture shock. I was wondering what we should expect in the way of heating costs and if we are looking to buy a house, what kind of heating is better.

Your responses would be much appreciated

Hi slippery,
Well what a change install for you . I have done the same thing many years ago , moved from Qld a good few years back. Originally Cairns FNQ as well. As others have mentioned , look for a good insulated home to start with. Another thing that will be a home shock down here for Queenslanders is that the housing and building codes are probably 15 to 20 years behind the mainland. Unless you buy very new. Things that we took for granted in Qld like, standard thick glazing ( Tassie glass is mostly the old thin stuff) ,allot wiring is the old brown stuff( check the meter box and make sure the place has been re-wired), very few double garages or covered parking ( or limited onsite parking) , ensuites are often a luxury , very few home shave ceiling fans, allot still have one form of heating and it's wood, and if you like open plan living well most places are divided into small rooms you can block off in Winter. So some of these factors will have a huge bearing on your energy costs. So what are the costs ? , well we have ducted gas heating on mains and it costs us about $ 800 at current gas prices to warm the house during the Winter months. Wood prices are about $ 600 - 700 dollars a load and you will need about one and half to get through your first Winter. We also have had installed 2 reverse cycle air cons , one in the bedroom and a huge mother downstairs. This affords us the luxury of cool summers and it's also a handy back up for the gas unit as well.
Most people down here have one fire place only , believe me it's only fun for the first few weeks till the novelty wares off. Dirty , inefficient as well $$$$$ of wood. Some people have a warm air transfer unit that takes warmed air from where the heat source is and basically sucks it up , runs it through a tube/ pipe and lets it out in another area of the home. This is also a poor option , but better than nothing at all. Heat pumps ( reverse cycle a/c ) is a great option , however one unit will not suffice to do the whole home. And sadly that's what most people have. Not only does the unit have to work overtime to keep up , you still need heaters in your bedrooms ect . That's why we have 2 , nice and toasty in the bedroom when getting dressed for work on a 6 degree morning !! Also make sure your heating units are connected to the Hydro Tarrif , it's a cheaper power rate for heating. Also with reverse cycle , don't be tempted to turn it off during short sessions of going out. It's actually more efficient to leave it running on minimum , than heat the house up all over again when you get home. We rented for a while with a home with one heat pump , from memory it was a fraction cheaper than gas. However , flick the gas switch and the whole place is at 23 degress plus within five minutes. we also run gas water and cooking too. Solar is becoming very popular down here , so it maybe something to look at if you rely solely on electric.
When live at Lenah Valley , yes on the edge of the flanny curtain. In fact always lived here since coming from Qld . We like it , but is still in Hobart city shire . Not Glenorchy , it's amazing what happens five minutes down the road . Glenorchy does have a poor rep, but areas of Moonah West are fantastic and with killer views. Some old locals told us to stay away from suburbs that start with "R" or "W". It does ring pretty true , but there are exceptions. Anyway keep us all updated on your move and fire away anymore questions. Currently a very cool windy , damp 12.2 degrees with a wind chill factor that takes to 8.5 !! Might just put that heat pump in the bedroom on yet . grin
PS Plenty of QLD licence plates around of late, and just maybe I won't be the only one driving around with a QLD State of Origin and Cowboys stickers on the back window laugh
Cheers
from Hobart

#1304647 - 30/01/2015 09:57 Re: What's happening in Tassie? [Re: duckweather]
slipperyfish Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Thanks Mountain H2O. It will be a bit of a shock. Not set in stone yet. I lived many years in Canberra as young fella, so the cold is no stranger to me, but my wife is born and bred North Queenslander and reed thin so the cold will certainly sort her out. She wants to know if they televise the league down there, not sure she could live without watching her beloved Cowboys.

I really do appreciate the feedback. It is such a daunting move when you sit down and think about the logistics involved, so any help is much appreciated.

Will probably be down on a reccy in a month or two and then again in the middle of winter.

Will be good to go Kayaking without fear of a bloody big Croc latching on! LOL.

#1304657 - 30/01/2015 10:38 Re: What's happening in Tassie? [Re: duckweather]
petethemoskeet Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: toowoomba
I'd say ch9 would still show the fri night live game as usual.But she might have to get use to AFL.Won't be easy lol

#1304797 - 31/01/2015 08:02 Re: What's happening in Tassie? [Re: slipperyfish]
David Simpson. Offline
Weatherzone Administrator/Moderator

Loc: Tasmania
Originally Posted By: slipperyfish
Thanks Ollieo. Obviously you are talking about the inverter systems. Someone suggested Gas heating as well.

Also best suburbs in Hobart, and ones to stay away from ?

Best suburb of Hobart is Launceston, just 2 hours north and 2 hours closer to the equator (and the 21st century wink )

#1304809 - 31/01/2015 09:24 Re: What's happening in Tassie? [Re: duckweather]
slipperyfish Offline
Weatherzone Addict

David you will have to excuse me, but I am looking at what seems to be happening in this 21st century, and really wondering whether it is really worth moving into it.

Launceston is a beautiful place and we have visited there many times. It reminds me of that show on the ABC, Heartbeat I think it was called. My work will be in Hobart if they decide to go ahead with it.

#1304859 - 31/01/2015 13:39 Re: What's happening in Tassie? [Re: duckweather]
yep Offline
Weather Freak

Please consider joining a conservation group and voting Green if you move down here, our environmental heritage is currently under attack by a senseless right wing government, the more that actively oppose their unfettered development plans the greater chance of keeping Tasmania's unique identity intact.

Page 65 of 303 < 1 2 ... 63 64 65 66 67 ... 302 303 >

Who's Online
15 registered (Kino, scott12, Moz, Timbuck, Weather_Viewer, Markus, Snapper22lb, RC, snowbooby, DMK, GringosRain, DaveM, Sidney, 2 invisible), 114 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Today's Birthdays
Chris #3, Cloudwatcher, dave-tsv, GuyH, Joshg, Prettybub, s016230, Sprouts
Forum Stats
29700 Members
32 Forums
24005 Topics
1503011 Posts

Max Online: 2925 @ 02/02/2011 22:23
Satellite Image