Beltane Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Warriewood 2102 NSW

#1305095 - 01/02/2015 14:51 Re: Australian Politics [Re: LightningGus]
ColdFront Offline
Meteorological Motor Mouth

Loc: Wide Bay..Near the beach
Originally Posted By: GusO

Watch on as crime rates in Queensland skyrocket over the next few years.

You see that's where people need to be educated.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

"Kerrie Carrington, a criminologist and head of the School of Justice at the Queensland University of Technology, has said the Government was selectively presenting crime data that supported its claim.

"The generic claim that crime has gone down is wrong. It's based on them cherry picking a few offences that have gone down, and gone down by quite considerable proportions."

Professor Carrington said the Premier had correctly cited the statistics he had chosen.

"Robbery was down, extortion was down, unlawful entry was down and unlawful use of a motor vehicle was down - which does confirm the LNP's data that those are all down," she said.

But she said looking at different offences would return a different outcome. The data also shows increases in crimes including assault, kidnapping and shop stealing. Professor Carrington said that demonstrates that the data can be used very selectively.

She said that such a short time-frame comparison was unusual, and that long term trend data was a more reliable measure. She said the Government's selective use of the data was "deeply problematic".

"Queensland desperately needs an independent crime statistics unit to prevent (data) from being misused, particularly during election campaigns. This is an abominable misuse of crime data.

"I've done a 12 year trend pattern and on that trend pattern there's been a 22.5 per cent drop in reported crime in Queensland and it's been steadily declining. It was steadily declining for the last 12 years regardless of who is in government," she said.

Professor Carrington's analysis shows that per head of population, the number of offences reported each financial year since 2001 has been steadily decreasing."
-------------------------------------------------------------------

Newman's claims were built on a lie. One bikie brawl made the news and he went ape over it. He spent $millions on the VLAD laws and didn't jail anyone. Unfortunately the right rely on fear to keep the cattle herded.

Look over there >>> >>>> >>>>

That's the way the LNP have run both state and federal the past few years.

Take a look at the past few years. That's what happens when you try to run a country or state via Austerity.

#1305098 - 01/02/2015 15:53 Re: Australian Politics [Re: ColdFront]
@_Yasified_shak Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: El Arish
Seems even children have the right idea!

Humans think they are the fabric of society,when they are merely part of the thread.

#1305147 - 01/02/2015 19:42 Re: Australian Politics [Re: Brett Guy]
ozone doug Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Roma SW QLD Eye to the West...
Originally Posted By: Brett Guy
Saw at least 50 motorcycles ride into town together earlier thismorning. Obviously they had some rally organised were labor to win the election. Concerning to say the least.

Watch on as crime rates in Queensland skyrocket over the next few years. Gangs and organised crime will prosper once again and union fat cats will grow rich while running this state from behind closed doors. All I can say is I'm glad I don't work in the public sector. For now at least, Queensland is stuffed.

Yep. One of the few god things Newman did was the bikie laws. They will have free reign once more from here on in. Apart from that though he was a bit of a tosser.

As a former club member I can not go to the pub with my son due to Newman . But however the bike scene is no longer what it was and true needs to be reeled in Old days things were sorted out without interfering with others. Now the wankers dont give a sh+t .Middle estern Idiots, Pafic ilanders Dont ride bikes .The past laws are enough to put anyone in jail who deserves it .With out putting people out of a real job People that worked in hospitals ,electritians ect because Newman could do what he liked. OK had my rant I will make no further comment on this.

#1305149 - 01/02/2015 19:50 Re: Australian Politics [Re: ColdFront]
Brett Guy Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Bently Park, Cairns
Don't get me wrong ozone. I feel for the good club members. They are copping the dirty end of the stick but something had to be done as you said. It happens in every walk of life. I can't fish responsibly in many areas as they are now off limits due to too many wankers fishing in an unsustainable manner. Now the criminal element will return in even bigger numbers and cause even more problems. All in the name of social justice.

#1305170 - 01/02/2015 21:53 Re: Australian Politics [Re: ColdFront]
LightningGus Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Kingaroy QLD 434m ASL
Sorry if I upset you doug. I too feel for the good bikie members. It seems there is no way the criminals can be weeded out without someone innocent copping the dirty end of the stick as Brett pointed out, but the LNP's VLAD laws were far better then anything the labor party can or will put forward.
Anyway, I too won't be commenting in this thread any more, don't want to upset anyone or get into arguments with those on the opposite side of the political spectrum to myself.

#1305182 - 01/02/2015 22:48 Re: Australian Politics [Re: ColdFront]
slipperyfish Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: South Mission Beach QLD
It is yet to be seen who will form government, chances are it will be Labor. She would be doing the very thing she accused the LNP of doing in rescinding this law, not listening to the people. On three separate polls leading into this election 60% of respondents supported these laws.

For us out here in the country we can only hope the KAP do not forsake their constituents. Labor have promised to introduce debilitating new laws in regards to livestock. One example is that you will not be able to bait feral dogs with anything other than meat of a grade that is fit for human consumption. WTF. If the two KAP members support such nonsense you will see the end of the Katter political dynasty. When this policy broke on Friday they were livid. Don't count their support for Labor just yet.

Labor have two huge debts to pay if they take government. 1 the unions 2 the Greens. Brett the greens will want to re establish the communist Environmental Protection Agency powers and that means perhaps the only place you may be able to fish would be in a puddle on Mulgrave Rd.

The other thing to watch is where they will find the money to fund all their fact finding committees. Perhaps we could sneak the GST up a few percent, she won't even notice.

Having said this, and yes I do fear the communist party, they have the opportunity to change the current fabric of government. With so many new members there is a chance to rid themselves of the factionalisation that plagues the Labor party. Time they govern for the people, not the party.

As a small business owner I have realised over the years neither side gives a rats ar$e about the single biggest employer in the country. Labor makes it near on impossible to employ anyone and Liberals make it impossible to compete against the big corporations. So believe me I don't support either side, in fact I don't support the system. If Labor had not prostituted themselves to the Greens it would be easier to support them.

#1305193 - 01/02/2015 23:50 Re: Australian Politics [Re: slipperyfish]
Gad Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Silkstone
Originally Posted By: slipperyfish
.....The other thing to watch is where they will find the money to fund all their fact finding committees.....

no need to fret, they can use some of the $18.6 million Newman wont be using in Ashgrove wink

#1305194 - 02/02/2015 00:01 Re: Australian Politics [Re: ColdFront]
ColdFront Offline

...and the $1.3 billion he had stuffed under his pillow until Tuesday. On my numbers the LNP can still form a minority government. Whether or not they can convince Wellington to hang his hat on their rack remains to be seen.

#1305195 - 02/02/2015 00:23 Re: Australian Politics [Re: LightningGus]
Gad Offline
Weather Freak

Saw at least 50 motorcycles ride into town together earlier thismorning. Obviously they had some rally organised were labor to win the election. Concerning to say the least.

Ridiculous statement.

non outlaw motorcycle clubs still have week end runs, with police knowledge.... apart from that:

Newman is still the premier, the LNP government is still the government, in caretaker role. They retain this role until a new government is sworn in.

The police commissioner and the police force still have their vlad laws to uphold.

#1305197 - 02/02/2015 00:32 Re: Australian Politics [Re: ColdFront]
Gad Offline
Weather Freak

#1305224 - 02/02/2015 09:06 Re: Australian Politics [Re: ColdFront]
slipperyfish Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: South Mission Beach QLD
True enough Gad. I would imagine they would all have emergency palm greasing funds. Interesting day today. One way or another Labor will have to break one of their promises in order to form government. Will they back the Greens driven livestock policy or rescind it? I would imagine that asset leasing is off the table after the people have overwhelmingly spoken. So this should be a non issue

Scenario 1 the two KAP and Wellington back Labor and we have a tenuous government.

Scenario 2 Wellington backs Labor and KAP back LNP. Again a tenuous government is formed

Scenario 3 Labor hold one extra seat. Wellington backs Labor, KAP backs LNP and we have hung parliament, and back to the polls we go.

KAP cannot under any circumstances back that policy. If they do we will see the disintegration of Queensland cattle industry. If she drops this policy we will have a labor government. If she doesn't who knows. If she breaks her promise to the greens she effectively splits the right and left of her party. The real work for Anastacia starts today. Someone needs to tell her it's not easy being Premier.

#1305229 - 02/02/2015 09:26 Re: Australian Politics [Re: slipperyfish]
Gad Offline
Weather Freak

scenarios and conspiracy theories have been entertaining idiots and internet forums for years wink

#1305230 - 02/02/2015 09:29 Re: Australian Politics [Re: ColdFront]
Brett Guy Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Yes slippery. Labour scare the cap out of me because of their association with the green/communist party. And unions lost my respect many moons ago. Fact is the system is broken and we are governed by extremists on one side or the other.

#1305233 - 02/02/2015 09:50 Re: Australian Politics [Re: Brett Guy]
Gad Offline
Weather Freak

did you actually vote this time Brett or did you maintain your, previously stated, non voting stance?

#1305235 - 02/02/2015 10:01 Re: Australian Politics [Re: ColdFront]
Brett Guy Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Stuck with it gad. I won't vote until there is a party that earns my vote. I refuse to enable a broken system and as useless as my protest stance is in reality it won't change until the system is fixed. Don't bother giving me the 'you didn't vote so you can't comment' Line though as I don't buy that. My not voting is a comment in itself.

#1305240 - 02/02/2015 10:21 Re: Australian Politics [Re: Brett Guy]
Gad Offline
Weather Freak

Originally Posted By: Brett Guy
Don't bother giving me the 'you didn't vote so you can't comment' Line though as I don't buy that. My not voting is a comment in itself.

no brett, I wont give you that linelaugh but...

I will give you an old line: 'bad governments are elected by those who don`t vote'!

#1305244 - 02/02/2015 10:30 Re: Australian Politics [Re: ColdFront]
Brett Guy Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Yes they are gad. But In my opinion the left is no better than the right. They both produce bad results because the both lack the ability to consider all angles.I Could not look at myself in the mirror if my vote had helped either side into power.

#1305261 - 02/02/2015 13:19 Re: Australian Politics [Re: ColdFront]
Mick10 Offline
Weatherzone Moderator

Loc: Kirwan, Townsville - NQld.
Originally Posted By: ColdFront
Originally Posted By: Mick10
Queensland have not voted in labor. They have voted in the greens and the unions.

How many Greens won a seat?

you dont need to win a seat to have an influence.

Ahead on Primary Vote
Party No. Seats
Australian Labor Party ALP 34
Katter's Australian Party KAP 2
LNP LNP 52
Other Candidates 1

pretty obvious that should Labor win its on the back of the Greens. and its pretty obvious the Greens will have a big say in what happens in this state despite not having seats.
2017 Yearly total to date - 705.0mm (1122mm)

#1305262 - 02/02/2015 13:27 Re: Australian Politics [Re: ColdFront]
ColdFront Offline

Interesting sentiment Mick but the Liberals are riding on the back of the nationals. They are two miner parties themselves.

Great at quoting numbers but ignoring the FACT completely that the greens haven't won any seats and the LNP got preferences too. It's called a democracy, but after 3 years of Newman I can understand how people may forget.

It will be interesting to see how the new talks go that were set down for today in the LNP. Word is they have canned it already due to infighting.

...and that photo I put up came out of the courier mail. They managed to have a laugh at despite their right wing agenda.

Page 92 of 244 < 1 2 ... 90 91 92 93 94 ... 243 244 >

Who's Online
4 registered (dormant, Mad Elf #1.5, 2 invisible), 245 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Today's Birthdays
Andrew_C, Bindon, Leasy, Nikko, rainthisway, sutek, Tropicana
Forum Stats
29368 Members
32 Forums
23683 Topics
1462002 Posts

Max Online: 2925 @ 02/02/2011 22:23
Satellite Image