NOTICE!

The Weatherzone forum has now closed and is in read-only mode until the 1st of November when it will close permanently. We would like to thank everyone who has contributed over the past 18 years.

If you would like to continue the discussion you can follow us on Facebook and Twitter or participate in discussions at AusWeather or Ski.com.au forums.

Page 89 of 154 < 1 2 ... 87 88 89 90 91 ... 153 154 >
Topic Options
#1326604 - 26/04/2015 17:38 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
logansi Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Adelaide S.A/Portland Vic
They just had a 6.7 aftershock - largest since the main event, sure to do more damage to unstable structures etc

https://www.ausweatherforum.com

#1326611 - 26/04/2015 18:02 Re: Earthquakes [Re: logansi]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Wantirna, Vic
Hi logansi and all.

Yes, there has just been another doozie of a quake there. And you are right logansi, this will further destabilize structures and stress the people there.

Our seimo's in Vic and SA (and of course elsewhere in Australia) have again responded quite dramatically to these quakes which are about 5000kms from here (Vic). This goes to show that the dynamics of these quakes is so powerful that it can slightly rumble the earth so far away.
Given this intensity, I would imagine there may be the possibility of rock falls and/or landslides to follow on from this new big quake (M6.8). There is obviously still some serious movement going in Nepal and now traveling slightly to the east - the plates/mountains is/are 'angry' at the moment.

For now, Duck.

#1326614 - 26/04/2015 18:20 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
Petros Offline
Meteorological Motor Mouth

Loc: Maffra, Central Gippsland, Vi...
DW, what was the Christchurch quake level?

#1326619 - 26/04/2015 18:38 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
logansi Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Originally Posted By: duckweather
Hi logansi and all.

Yes, there has just been another doozie of a quake there. And you are right logansi, this will further destabilize structures and stress the people there.

Our seimo's in Vic and SA (and of course elsewhere in Australia) have again responded quite dramatically to these quakes which are about 5000kms from here (Vic). This goes to show that the dynamics of these quakes is so powerful that it can slightly rumble the earth so far away.
Given this intensity, I would imagine there may be the possibility of rock falls and/or landslides to follow on from this new big quake (M6.8). There is obviously still some serious movement going in Nepal and now traveling slightly to the east - the plates/mountains is/are 'angry' at the moment.

For now, Duck.

Can you access the Australia individual seimo's online?

#1326620 - 26/04/2015 18:39 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Petros]
logansi Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Originally Posted By: Petros
DW, what was the Christchurch quake level?

6.3?

#1326622 - 26/04/2015 19:05 Re: Earthquakes [Re: logansi]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi logansi and Petros.

The Christchurch quake in 2011 was, as you said, an M6.3. This quake came 6 months after an M7.1 in Canterbury (September 2010).

The seismographs I tend to watch when I can are here;

Mappage (SA Minerals website source)
This seismo display automatically updates and it is actual Australia time (current hour/minutes)

Melbourne University used to have access to the Narracan in SE Victoria, but it is off-line at the moment (since late 2014) - here

Another I sometimes watch is Leon Mow's Radio Observatory in Victoria but this one is offline at the moment due to water inundation problems.

....and another site I occasionally take a look at is;

Live Seismographs (Australia)

There are quite a few resources for live seismos on the net and Geoscience Australia has a page on their site on which you can search particular seismograph readouts for specific regions. These readouts are static, but up to date/time for their readings..... search for stations data here

Cheers for now, Duck.

#1326708 - 27/04/2015 14:06 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi folks - a quicky post for now.

I found a site which has a recent (this week) article on land rising above sea level on a coast line in the NE regions of Japan. Keeping in mind that this region is close to the top edges of the Pacific Plate - it is a curiosity.

4/25/2015 — Land rising out of the sea i...Michael Janitch

The Nepal region is still reeling from tremors, which can only compound the dangers there, the rescue efforts and the daily lives of the folks there. Let's hope we hear of many good news stories coming out of this vast region through all of the tragedy.

For now, Duck.

#1326724 - 27/04/2015 17:25 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
Ken Kato Offline

Chilling footage uploaded to youtube by Jost kobusch of the huge avalanche that engulfed Base Camp near Mt Everest: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JC_wIWUC2U

What looks like just another big rocky mountain in the background is actually the leading edge of the avalanche looming out of the mist.
Latest reports suggest a death toll of 18 at base camp itself with a further 5 killed in areas just below it.

#1326750 - 27/04/2015 21:39 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Ken Kato]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi Ken and all.

That avalanche video and other videos coming out of Mount Everest and areas near and in Nepal are just terrible. The aftermath and damage from these quakes and avalanches will continue to be difficult to observe and live with (those affected) for a long time.

I tossed up whether I should post the following link, given the sadness and devastation surrounding the events in and around Nepal, but I have decided to post the link for those who wish to read about a recent survey by french geologists and their findings during field work in the region (Nepal) last month. I only found this link today.

Nepal quake 'followed historic pattern' ...26th April 2015

My thoughts and prayers for those affected by this tragedy, and for those families and friends of people still missing.

Duck.

#1326828 - 28/04/2015 18:04 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi folks.

have been watching the NT (SE of Uluru) on the seismo's, on and off.
There is a cluster of tremors going on there at the moment. There have been tremors through SA heading up in sequence to this region. One of the tremors near Uluru today was quite 'deep' for Oz at 122kms deep. This is one of the deeper located tremors Oz has seen for a while. Most of Australia's tremors come in on/around/under 10kms deep. Given the depth of the deepest one, I'd say that this is not mining related (? I don't know about this regions activity) and the foundations of Oz in this region has received some tension - my guess is the tension emanating from the Plate Oz sits on as it is being 'tested' by the activity around its periphery with plate movements and quakes in countries surrounding Oz....?

I may be wrong here, but I get a feeling that some time in the future (years, decades???) we may see some minor volcanic activity on or on the edges of our continent.....?

Geoscience Australia EQ Map

For now, Duck.

Edited by duckweather (28/04/2015 18:06)
Edit Reason: spelling again ;)

#1326886 - 29/04/2015 10:08 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi folks.

As I suspected (mentioned in a previous post), Victoria was not "out of the woods" in regards to tremors for the current period.
Just SE of Warragul had an M2.4 early this morning. This follows on from the tremor M2,7 in Mount Torbrek on the 24th April.

On a side note, a curiosity prior to these tremors, for me I s'pose, is that our crickets went beserk before the 24th April tremor and a lonely single cricket (who we have nick-named Craig here) was carrying on a treat last night up until just after midnight.

Since the tremor in Victoria (near Warragul), the St Georges Ranges in WA has come up with an M3.2 (10 kms deep).
As I have eluded to in my recent posts, and particularly since the Nepal major quakes, the Australian continent is feeling stresses from the behaviours of the Australian Plate, and the tremors in Australia may go on to pop up in some more locations, as well as possibly niggling the 'usual' known vulnerable locations.

In the last 30 days (to the time of typing this post), Australia has had about 40 tremors as recorded by Geoscience Australia. This, if my memory serves me correctly, is an increase (marginal) for our continent.

The deepest quake I had mentioned in a previous post has been revised in its depth to a shallower 20+ kms from a figure over 100kms deep. The deepest tremor was 24kms amidst the SE of Uluru tremors.

The western coasts of the America's (and inland in some locations) has gone on to experience some fairly decent sized tremors since the Nepal quakes and the ongoing movements in the west of the Pacific regions (including NZ).

For now, Duck.

#1327270 - 01/05/2015 10:10 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi again.

Satellite imagery shows Nepal earthquake displacement Posted by Adonai on April 30, 2015

Australia came up with another tremor, this time in NT/Tennant Creek at an M3.5 (13 kms deep). I feel there may be another chance of tremors coming up in several states, as I feel there is still some jittering in some seismo's at the moment and it may be that some of the energy expelled in the Nepal quakes may still be possibly ping-ponging somewhat around the planet - which could take some time to settle.

PNG's M7 and the South Sandwich Islands M6+ ties in with my suspicions that the large release/s of energy in Nepal has gone on to mildly increase the size of some of the usually sized quakes in several areas - such as the western Pacific regions, Sth Sandwich Islands, west coast of the America's and perhaps some yet to come up. This is just a feeling I get that the Nepal 'energies' (that which caused their quakes) may have 'pushed' or rattled some vulnerable regions into slightly more concerted movements.

Australia seems to have been more active on the tremor front in response to some strong energy being exerted on/by the Plates and I also feel that increased volcanic activity may also be having the affect of increasing some of the major plates movements in several places (worldwide). A driving magma/heat source from below surely has to have some sort of affect on the earth's crust/s in various places......?

Craig the Cricket (in my garden) is still carrying on in fits-and-starts before quakes (but this may just be a coincidence of course...?).

For now, Duck.

Edited by duckweather (01/05/2015 10:10)
Edit Reason: spelling again

#1327711 - 03/05/2015 09:27 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi folks.

The following article from NASA is very interesting, regarding the power of the tragic Nepal earthquake/s. The site - Strangesounds.org describes the ionosphere as 'singing' after the quake.

GPS Data Show How Nepal Quake Disturbed Earth’s Upper Atmosphere

Australia is still coming up with tremors as I suspected it would in relation to the current 'energies' being tossed around the planet. SE of Uluru has come up with another M3 this morning.
Vic had a small spike on the NW/Melbourne seismo very late last night (one of two) which didn't correspond with any other movements on the cluster of seismo's in SA and NSW/Canberra.

The eastern side of the US bordering Canada, has been coming up with tremors, with the largest one being in Michigan - M4.2 6 hours ago. The three tremors/quakes, as noted on the Global Incidents Map/Earthquakes, in this eastern region seem to be along the line/landscape which comes in from the waterway near Quebec and the Gulf of St. Lawrence - if your mind's eye follows SSW down this lands' feature towards Michigan. This is a very vast region and may involve several fault lines, but I feel they are connected.

For now, Duck.

#1327714 - 03/05/2015 09:39 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi again.

Ran out of time to add the following.

Yellowstone is currently experiencing a tremor - Yellowstone

#1327768 - 03/05/2015 18:03 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
Nerd65 Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Cranbrook, Townsville
GPS Data Show How Nepal Quake Disturbed Earth’s Upper Atmosphere

I'm very suprised to read that. I would never had thought that an earthquake could affect the electron density of the ionosphere. I wonder what exactly are the "waves of energy" referred to in the report. Acoustic waves, electromagnetic waves?

#1327774 - 03/05/2015 19:01 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Nerd65]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi Nerd65.

bear with me as I try to remember my science studies from many moons ago smile

I feel that when the earthquake occurred in Nepal, the positive ion count exploded exponentially during the quake. This may have forced a sudden expulsion of positive (?) ions up in to the ionosphere layer, causing an 'deformation' in the fairly stable and 'level' (horizontal) layer of the ionosphere temporarily.
This phenomenon (an ejection of ions up into the atmosphere) is caused by the intense grinding/rubbing/scraping of rocks (quartz is a good one to produce this affect) and can create piezoelectricity as well. The piezoelectricity expulsion/creation can be sometimes seen as earthquake lights - more pronounced at night time.

Differences in the ion balance in the ionosphere observed at anytime can be an indicator of impending earthquakes. This ion balance change can also be seen during and after quakes, as well as before (even up to months before a quake occurs).

Please, and by all means, check my statements here for accuracy if you wish. Because, as I mentioned, my science knowledge is very rusty. Perhaps a geologist could verify this for me - we have a geology student on Weatherzone wink

The size of the very large quakes like Haiti', Nepal's, Japan's for example, I would say would be likely candidates for such pronounced expulsion of these ions up into the ionosphere. I think the quakes that occur 'on land' may have more of a chance of affecting the ionosphere than deep sea quakes, but I am not completely sure about this.

I hope I made some sense here. I am not a scientist and these days my science knowledge is about 40 years old smile Over the last 40 years, this old Duck has been running on intuition mainly, so what I say needs to be taken with a pinch of salt.

For now, Duck.

#1327954 - 05/05/2015 12:14 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
Brett Guy Offline

Loc: Bently Park, Cairns
Magnitide 7.5 quake 150km south of png. Apparently a tsunami warning to go with it. Anyone know any more

#1327956 - 05/05/2015 12:22 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Brett Guy]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi Brett.

There is apparently some chance of sea disturbance down towards Cairns and a little further, possibly into the Coral Sea from this big quake.
Tsunami info is - here NOAA

USGS earthquake event information here

For now, Duck.

#1327959 - 05/05/2015 12:25 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
Ken Kato Offline

Depth now revised to 63km at time of writing so not that shallow. Here's some outputs from the USGS PAGER and JRC tsunami modelling (the latter may be overdoing it a bit if it's based on the preliminary 10km depth):

#1327962 - 05/05/2015 12:32 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
Brett Guy Offline

Loc: Bently Park, Cairns
Sweet. I am out on green island off cairns so will be interesting to see if it has a slight effect.

Page 89 of 154 < 1 2 ... 87 88 89 90 91 ... 153 154 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 44 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Today's Birthdays
annair, marestails, Quasar, typhoontim
Forum Stats
29947 Members
32 Forums
24194 Topics
1529247 Posts

Max Online: 2985 @ 26/01/2019 12:05
Satellite Image