NOTICE!

The Weatherzone forum has now closed and is in read-only mode until the 1st of November when it will close permanently. We would like to thank everyone who has contributed over the past 18 years.

If you would like to continue the discussion you can follow us on Facebook and Twitter or participate in discussions at AusWeather or Ski.com.au forums.

Page 91 of 154 < 1 2 ... 89 90 91 92 93 ... 153 154 >
Topic Options
#1328851 - 12/05/2015 17:55 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
Ken Kato Offline
Meteorological Motor Mouth

Here's a couple of USGS-generated graphics for that prelim 7.4 shake at time of writing:

#1328859 - 12/05/2015 18:42 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
perrywinkle Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Warrawee Valley
It is so weird, I noticed a very long pendulum shaped window decoration swinging, more than an hour ago, and it is still swinging. It becomes almost stationary every so often and then starts to swing more and more (a distance of about 3mm), then repeats the cycle. My very own seismosomething or other.

#1328863 - 12/05/2015 18:59 Re: Earthquakes [Re: perrywinkle]
perrywinkle Offline
Weather Freak

The swinging is lessening now, almost imperceptible.

#1328871 - 12/05/2015 19:31 Re: Earthquakes [Re: perrywinkle]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Wantirna, Vic
Hi perrywinkle and all.

Hey perrywinkle - about 100kms to your general north and the same distance to you WNW and NW, there have been a few tremors in the National Forests over the last day and an earlier one on the 7th May. There may still be some 'fresh' very small movements going on there. But that's not to discount the potential of the Nepal quake sending off very subtle movements around this 'side' of the globe - we are associated with the plate movements which have caused the Nepal quakes.

Regarding Nepal, as Ken and logansi have already mentioned, yet another large quake with expected after movements. The folks there can't get a break at the moment and these movements will not be helping them as they try to recover and 'repair' after the last very big quake recently.

Directly after the newest Nepal larger quake, the Banda Sea (above Australia) came up with an M5.5 and south of Java Indonesia came up with an M5 35 minutes before the larger Nepal quake hit. The Indian Ocean has also been coming up with (2) quakes.

I had a gut feeling that there was going to be another large quake over M6+. I actually had a bit of a suspicion that it may have been one M8 or a smidgen more - but I am glad I am wrong so far.

The movements in the Indo-Australian Plate and the Australian Plate with the Pacific Plate are very persistent and rather 'angry' at the moment. We may go on to see another couple of M6's (apart from Nepal)....?

The west coast of the U.S. may go on to feel and M4+, with Hawaii following on with more tremors.
Australia may still keep coming up with some tremors here and there, with SA maybe being the most active.

My mind's-eye is also being drawn a little to South Africa and/or Madagascar. Tanzania less so.

The U.K. may come up with a small tremor.

For now, dim Duck (with a headache/toothache crazy )

#1328899 - 12/05/2015 21:08 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
perrywinkle Offline
Weather Freak

http://www.rsuw.daleh.id.au/html/live_seismograms.html

Looking at these, I think it may have been Nepal that swung my pendulum.

Haven't felt the NSW tremors, was asleep I guess.

A 'new' and interesting cluster of three recent Blue Mountains tremors, and shakes near Oberon in the past year or so. The Mountains are an uplift feature, with the fault running roughly along the Nepean River, with a kink in the south near Camden. In the recent (last 50 years) tremors have generally been south of here, around PIcton, and in the southern water catchments. The mountains tremors are either a new thing, or the result of improved monitoring.

#1328901 - 12/05/2015 21:15 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
Brett Guy Offline

Loc: Bently Park, Cairns
Might be a bit too soon to ask but I have been wondering if the Nepal activity has had any measurable effect on the height of Everest or other peaks. Might be a new high point to reach or it might be that no one will ever get as high again.

#1328903 - 12/05/2015 21:32 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
perrywinkle Offline
Weather Freak

There was a Sentinel satellite image which showed that a significant portion of Tibet was lifted during the first quake.

http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-32515059

#1328929 - 13/05/2015 07:32 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
Ken Kato Offline

Prelim mag 6.8 quake with depth of 38km just occurred at 7:13am AEST near the east coast of the main island (Honshu) of Japan. No tsunami risk at time of writing.

#1328935 - 13/05/2015 09:08 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
BIG T Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Albany Creek , QLD
the power to lift landmass over vast areas blows my mind. Never forget the museum at Napier , NZ , extraordinary the change their big quake made , turned the bay / lagoon into dry land which now is the airport area. I think something like 30km2 raised 2.5mts in the 2 mins. Mind boggling to me.

#1328941 - 13/05/2015 09:28 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
tsunami Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Wynnum SE Brisbane
Well was in NZ 2 weeks ago and took a ride on a 6.2 Quake while in NZ there was a 5.6 5.9 and the 6.2.
with the BIG quakes in the Solomans, Japan and Nepal of late there is a lot of masive movement going on at the moment, lets hope it calms down and doesnt keep going

#1328987 - 13/05/2015 13:40 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
Ken Kato Offline

Brett Guy: I actually stumbled across an article last week re whether Everest's height had changed after the Nepal quake but neglected to bookmark the link. I just did a quick google search to try and find it again and here's one such article: http://news.nationalgeographic.com/2015/04/150428-everest-height-nepal-earthquake-geology-science/

#1329109 - 14/05/2015 08:57 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
Brett Guy Offline

Loc: Bently Park, Cairns
Thanks Ken. Some interesting stuff. Something i have always wondered though. Mountain ranges like the Himalayas are formed basically by these huge quakes but when we are talking a few centimeters here and there i really wonder if these sort of events would be enough to keep up with or outpace erosion. I sometimes wonder if we need far bigger events to create formations like these. And i am talking magnitudes bigger than anything ever experienced while humans have been on this planet.

Edited by Brett Guy (14/05/2015 08:58)

#1329131 - 14/05/2015 11:04 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Brett Guy]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi folks.

The earth beneath Nepal also moved horizontally (generally speaking) about 3 meters to the north. Usually the plate, which slides under the Himalayas, moves at approx. 2cm per year. So as a result of the first impacting quakes there, the ground shifted north substantially.

Now that the second large quake (and associated after movements) has occurred, could the initial observation of a 3 meter shift be reassessed now to include a further northerly shift.....? Just a thought.

Imagine that sizable shifts like this in one region may have an unequal and 'opposite' effect on other locations on or at the edges of the vast plate...?

As I mentioned in a previous post, South Australia was going to be the main region of tremor activity in the current time (days/week). Kangaroo Island has come up with an M3+ early this morning, and I just can't help but see in my mind's eye a fault which may be directly related to the other tremors in SA, running up and around the waterway/lands from Kangaroo Island - up through Adelaide region - up through and all the way to north of Hawker (and to the NW and NE incorporating a vast region there). I am not saying this is one big fault line, but a general possible association (through these locations) of a main faulting system with sister faults along the way.....(I may be wrong).
The waterways I am referring to is the Spencer Gulf and the Gulf of St. Vincent.

I also mentioned that I thought the UK may start coming up with tremors. A small series of movements has started to occur on the France side of the Channel. For some reason 'Birmingham' or Bristol or another 'B' word, regarding the UK, is sticking with me for a possible tremor at the moment....could be wrong.

For the moment, Duck.

P.s. I am enjoying seeing other WZ'ers posting in this thread - it's great wink

#1329137 - 14/05/2015 12:57 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Brett Guy]
Ken Kato Offline

Originally Posted By: Brett Guy
Thanks Ken. Some interesting stuff. Something i have always wondered though. Mountain ranges like the Himalayas are formed basically by these huge quakes but when we are talking a few centimeters here and there i really wonder if these sort of events would be enough to keep up with or outpace erosion. I sometimes wonder if we need far bigger events to create formations like these. And i am talking magnitudes bigger than anything ever experienced while humans have been on this planet.

As far as I know, it doesn't have to be big quakes that cause long term increases in mountain heights - plates continuously squeezing into each other can do it.

#1329144 - 14/05/2015 13:39 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
tsunami Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Wynnum SE Brisbane
If you look at the South Is of NZ
the southern Alps rise at a fast rate (for world standards) of 1cm per year on average
eg 100 years = 1 meter
Does Nepal area have a rise of so much each year
you could only imagine the presure release if those two plates become stuck, some scientists are predicting a mag 8+ in this region,
While some may think Mt Cook will be higher now than 20 years ago, Mt cook did suffer a land slide which tokk 3m from the top

#1329172 - 14/05/2015 16:56 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
BIG T Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Albany Creek , QLD
a quote on the wall at Quake City Museum Christchurch really rings true , well it did to me.
"Civilisation exists by geological consent , subject to change without notice"
every big quake , i remember that quote.

#1329459 - 17/05/2015 18:03 Re: Earthquakes [Re: BIG T]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi folks, finally got a chance to drop by....

I have been watching some South Australian seismo's here and there over the last few days. Since the Kangaroo Island tremor, [and the quakes in Nepal and north, NE and east of Oz (other countries)] the general region in the eastern half and central south of South Australia has been showing some rather persistent and interesting disturbances on the seismo's.
Some of the jitters are in response to quakes elsewhere (other countries/and off shore), but there are some corresponding (showing a small time difference in recording between Victoria and SA in some cases *) movements which tells me that a vast region between SA and Vic are feeling some related energies.
* The time differences I have referred to in the previous paragraph are such that, for example;
- Mount Gambier and surrounds feels a very small movement - and the movement is registered on a Vic seismo some minutes later, or;
- Lower far lower west or west of Vic feels a small movement - then a nearby SA seismo registers a similarly patterned movement some minutes (up to 10 minutes) later.

Having said the above, I am eluding to the feeling I have that the general region of the west and/or the lower SW of Victoria and the eastern side [including the central south of SA and the general region of the Port Augusta and Flinders Ranges) and down through Kangaroo Island and Mount Gambier may be experiencing some ongoing 'irritation' seismically.

Don't quote me on the above, as I may be wrong in my observations.

Nepal is continuing to feel after-movements, which must be worrying for the folks there - possibly concerned for another larger quake to occur. With what they have experienced there, their nerves will be severely rattled. The movements there have been horrendous.

The western side of the Pacific is still on the move with persistent numbers of M5's and the odd slightly bigger quake/s.
I read somewhere the other day (a report dated 2013?) that the largest volcano on the planet is east of Japan at sea. It was first thought that there were three consecutive sub-marine volcanoes in this region, but is now seen as one monster sized volcano - "Tamu Massif" - just found one of the reports on "World's largest volcano identified off coast of Japan" - CBS News 2013 I mention this as I feel this may be feeding into some of the earthquakes in this general region.

There may also be volcanic related tremors being felt across the western side of the U.S.. One keen EQ observer in the U.S. thought he saw a volcanic steam venting in a satellite sequence of images in the last week in the U.S. west (I can't for the life of me remember where it was atm). Some of the other well known volcanic mountains in the western side of the U.S. are also feeling tremors.

The Mediterranean, particularly near Crete atm., are feeling some tremors in quite a spread across the Mediterranean.

The western side of South America is quite active and may come up with an M6.

The Central American regions are also popping up with the odd quake and the Puerto Rico general region may come up with an M4(+?)...

For now, Duck.

Edited by duckweather (17/05/2015 18:05)
Edit Reason: spelling again ;)

#1329771 - 21/05/2015 09:11 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
Ken Kato Offline

Mag 7.2/depth 12km quake (GA data) in the Santa Cruz Islands region at 8:49am. No tsunami threat at time of writing.

#1329775 - 21/05/2015 10:03 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Ken Kato]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi Ken and all.

Yes, this is yet another big quake for the Pacific region, and one which I was anticipating in the last couple of days.
The first sign for me that another larger quake was brewing was that the buoy in the Coral Sea responded (event mode) two days ago with some movement which must have occurred to the NE and/or north of the buoy.
Apparently there is no tsunami warning or advice for this quake, as you mentioned Ken, but there must have been some water/current disturbance. The energy given off by this quake is substantial enough to have had an effect, even if there no tsunami waves of any size produced.

The Pacific Plate, Australian Plate and associated plates, are still rather relentless with movements at the moment. There may even be a possibility of another M6+, given the behaviour of the plates in current times.
I feel that NZ may possibly need to keep their 'eye' out for potential movements along the fault that runs through both islands, with the Cook Strait being at the centre-piece of where the fault curves through the islands. I am not saying they are being warned of a major quake, but some of the energy in the western Pacific may translate down their major fault line. I....may....be...wrong...so 'pinch-of-salt with what I say here folks...

Nepal is still feeling varying sized tremors/quakes. This may go on for some time yet.
The far western side of the Himalayas is also being affected by the movements which are affecting Nepal. The plateau north of Nepal is coming up with an occasional tremor too.

In my mind's eye I see an 'energy' running to the west from the Himalayas (not saying this is related) through - the peripheries of the Saudi Peninsula (and north of the Arabian Sea) -> through the Mediterranean -> through to Greece/Italy/Spain/Canary Islands/Algeria etc..

I feel that the energy affecting Algeria, for example, may be coming up from the south.

I feel the energy affecting the Canary Islands and Portugal may be coming from the centre of the Atlantic and partly from the south (involving the plate Africa sits on).

I feel that the energy affecting the Mediterranean generally is being driven up from the south of the Mediterranean Sea (incorporating the northern edges of the plate Africa sits on). This may be filtering into and putting pressures on fault lines and other plate edges in the northern regions of the Mediterranean -> and then further north into the countries north of, e.g., Italy, Greece and Saudi Arabia.

The energy causing France's tremors, I still feel may continue to possibly affect the U.K.. Though there may also yet be some energy coming in from the west/NW from the Atlantic.

Japan may feel another M5 or M5+ this week.

The west coast of Sth America has followed on with an M5 in Peru/Ecuador after the latest large quake in the Solomons. But I feel there may be a 50/50 chance that this movement may be isolated to energies isolated in some degree to energy possibly being driven up and into their western coastline....??

Australia is possibly being 'jiggled' a little from the major quakes on the Pacific and from the behaviour of the Australian Plate in the north - which may throw up some sort of irritation in the south (of Oz). South Australia, as I mentioned may do, seems to be the most active in Australia at the moment.
The east coast of Australia - maybe NSW and/or Qld - may come up with a tremor. Noting the movement regarding the buoy in the Coral Sea over the last couple of days - I get a slight feeling Qld and/or NSW coastal region may go on to feel a tremor.

For now, Duck.

#1329893 - 22/05/2015 18:45 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi folks.

As I thought and mentioned in my last post - the U.K. has come up with a tremor in the range of M4.3, which has been felt along the coast in France - across the Channel. I had a "B" name of a town in mind, but it wasn't Birmingham or Bristol etc. which came up.

The west coast of the U.S. and Canada is currently active. And as I have often eluded to that when this happens Hawaii comes up with more tremors - and this has occurred. I am not guaranteeing a relationship between the two U.S. regions, but there seems to be a regular follow on from the U.S./Canada quakes with Hawaii....

I feel that the energy causing the big quakes in the western Pacific may be having some sort of effect/influence on the quakes/energies on the western coasts of the U.S./Canada....I could be wrong.

The Mediterranean tremors have increased in size and may (outside chance) go on to feel and M5 or M5+????

For the moment, Duck.

Page 91 of 154 < 1 2 ... 89 90 91 92 93 ... 153 154 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 33 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Today's Birthdays
Caldoche, David Obeid, desblair, Morrisjub, rmj007, rummy21, StormQueen
Forum Stats
29947 Members
32 Forums
24194 Topics
1529242 Posts

Max Online: 2985 @ 26/01/2019 12:05
Satellite Image