NOTICE!

The Weatherzone forum has now closed and is in read-only mode until the 1st of November when it will close permanently. We would like to thank everyone who has contributed over the past 18 years.

If you would like to continue the discussion you can follow us on Facebook and Twitter or participate in discussions at AusWeather or Ski.com.au forums.

Page 88 of 154 < 1 2 ... 86 87 88 89 90 ... 153 154 >
Topic Options
#1324872 - 16/04/2015 17:38 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Wantirna, Vic
Hi folks.

I came across the following amazing youtube vids by David Johnson, which actually go some way to show some of the things I rattle on about occasionally. What I mean by 'rattlings' is that there can be spot tremors popping up around the globe before the onset of a large quake. Also after the 'large quake' there can be subsequent quakes and tremors across the globe as the plates and fault lines get rattled - the foundation rattler as I call it.
Also notice in the videos, and as I have mentioned before, that when the west of the Pacific goes off with EQ's - the eastern side responds with tremors and quakes (west coasts of the America's [U.S., Central and South America]). This can sometimes include Alaska. This is not 100% of the time, but not far off....

Enlarge the videos to fit your screen and listen to the music attached to each vid. - both complement each other.

Amazing stuff.

For now, Duck.

P.s. It looks like the southern states of Oz is not very settled at the moment....

#1324950 - 17/04/2015 08:12 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
BIG T Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Albany Creek , QLD
good find duck, excellent stuff.

#1324980 - 17/04/2015 09:58 Re: Earthquakes [Re: BIG T]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi BIG T and all.

These videos are a brilliant example of the behavior of the planet's plate and fault activity. I meant to mention in my last post that in order to enlarge the vids across your screen, you may need to click on the Youtube symbol in the bottom right of the small screen shots, which takes you to the Youtube page - from there you can enlarge the vids to fit the screen.

The music is quite eerie too.

Crete, Greece, came up with an M6+ this morning (our time) and was the potential quake I was hinting at about a week ago which may occur in this or the Turkey region. Apparently there are no reports of casualties or damage, but this moderately shallow quake (about 20kms) I feel may have rattled buildings enough to cause some cracking or perhaps some ground cracks (small). There may also have been some water disturbances given that it was located in the waters to the east of Crete. There have been and may still be smaller after movements there. The quake/s occurred about 50 or more kms north of the major plate (involving the Cretan Rhodes Ridge - which runs in a horizontal fashion south of Crete).

Hawaii has come up with a decent tremor of M3+ and the west coast of the U.S. may come up with an M4+'ish SW of Eureka (offshore)....will see.

For now, Duck.

#1325032 - 17/04/2015 16:04 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
BIG T Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Albany Creek , QLD
hey duck , where do you think will we see the next M8+. I will have a stab and say one of the following areas.
Gulf of Alaska, or along the coast of Peru between Lima and the Chilean border. Lets see how we go.

#1325258 - 18/04/2015 23:47 Re: Earthquakes [Re: BIG T]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi BIG T.

I don't usually like to say where I may feel that an M8 or higher quake may hit, as sometimes I don't really know and at other times, when I do get inklings, I tend to just say either there may be a possibility of an M6+ or I reserve my thoughts in case I could be wrong and panic some folks. Having said that, I do feel there may be a chance of a large quake soon, and I am only suspecting there may be because of the behaviour of the Pacific plates at the moment. There are also some tremors popping up in various locations across the planet, which I would consider not necessarily 'regulars'. This leads me to feel that most of the major plates and some of the many faults may be 'feeling' various ping-ponging pressures by varying degrees.

The U.S. craton edges have been throwing up tremors in the States, which is being considered by some other amateur observers (U.S. based) as a sign that there may be a moderately sized quake brewing for the U.S. either along the San Andreas or New Madrid Faults. Yellowstone has been rumbling with the odd tremor. Most of the U.S. tremors/quakes have been coming up west, NW and SW of Yellowstone, in the states leading back to the west coast. Of course Oklahoma has not ceased in its tremor experiences, and in the last 7 days, other tremors have come up in Tennessee, Ohio, near Quebec/Canada, Arkansas, Missouri and Maine - these tremors have showed up almost along a west to east line through the U.S..

Hawaii has been experiencing a bit of a run on tremors, as the Pacific Plate misbehaves. I am feeling that the eastern side of the Pacific may come up with an M6 in response (or par for the course) with all the quakes in the west of the Pacific. The NW of the Pacific may also come up with an M6..??? but not sure of course.

That larger quake near Fiji (which according to the USGS has not caused any problems) has set of somewhat of a chain reaction to the south, with energy travelling and causing quakes towards NZ. Some of this energy may end up causing a movement on the NZ North or South Island. or south of the South Island...or south of or SE of Tassie. Alternatively movement may return north of the Kermadecs and up around the west of the Pacific. Japan is on my radar at the moment...but may mean nothing.

As I suspected, South Oz has been/is rather active atm..

Take all I say with a pinch-of-salt folks wink

For now, Duck.

#1325847 - 21/04/2015 13:38 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi folks.

My gut feeling about Japan and surrounds was pretty accurate for this time. Something just didn't feel right about this vast location with the behaviour of the energy being tossed around after the Fiji quake. Taiwan also came into the mix of these current quakes and between there and Japan the energy has been very focused.

South Australia is still generally the 'star of the show' on the tremor front for Australia. There is somewhat of a clustering of tremors in the region I mentioned in another post and is quite persistent. I'm not sure if this will go on to influence a larger tremor, but there could be a percentage of a chance given the behavior there.

The Indian Ocean has come into the picture in the last few days in several locations.

I found some other interesting info on other countries (e.g. earth movements etc.) which I hope to put up tonight or tomorrow.

For now, Duck.

p.s. My son (AS) has just been voted School Captain today and I am a bit of a sooky-duck with pride. grin

#1326220 - 23/04/2015 17:34 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi folks.

Each time I've come here to jot a post since the last one, I've had to shoot off again. Got some time at the moment to jot some stuff.

South Australia is still 'moving', with a very small amount of the movements coming into Victoria (I've noticed this on a few occasions on the seismo NW of Melbourne). I think Vic may not be out of the woods for a tremor at some point, and having said that, I am sure I saw a definite short spike on that NW Melb. seimo about lunchtime today. It was a movement isolated to the Vic seismo and didn't correspond with South Oz seismo readings.

Port Hedland, unsurprisingly, came up with a tremor today. With all of the quakes still popping up in the countries north of Oz, I am not surprised some vulnerable locations along the Oz coast may be being affected, enough to set off tremors...

Again, I have to pop off and hope to be back later.....

For now, Duck.

#1326263 - 23/04/2015 23:14 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Back again.

Cook Strait in New Zealand came up with an M4+ today. Given that this has responded to movements elsewhere (and north in th Kermadecs) in the western Pacific, there may be a chance of other tremors coming up in relation to the north and/or south islands.

Hawaii is still rattling along with small tremors and may go on to feel an M3?

The Mediterranean is still active and may come p with an M4(+?) in the near future.

The fault line from about the north of the Gulf of St Lawrence (Canada) and down SSW towards Montreal is somewhat active at the moment. With two tremors coming up within 1 hour of each other about 22 hours ago.

The quakes in the western Pacific may continue to ping-pong up and down the major plate edges, this includes Japan and down to NZ.

The eastern side of the Pacific may also come up with a couple of M5's. The west coast of the U.S. and Alaska are the most active with smaller quakes (tremors) currently. One report I thought was a bit concerning recently was from a Californian resident who described one of their quakes as feeling like the ground had dropped beneath their feet marginally during their tremor.

A recent video from Russia, which I found myself glued to when watching it is the following one in this article - Very large and spectacular earthflow in Russia Posted by The Watcher on April 20, 2015

For now, Duck.

#1326415 - 25/04/2015 09:58 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Good morning folks.

If you don't mind, I would like to add again to this thread (last time in 2013) my poem for ANZAC Day.

Poppies In The Sun
by Dan
FreeDigitalPhotos

For we who are here today,
Who cherish our lives and freedoms,
Who can run and laugh and play,
Who can sing in the rain,
Who can dance in our fields,
Who can laze on our beaches,
Who can recline in the sun,
Who can surf the waves,
Who love this land of ours,
Who reap the riches offered,
Who can be with family,
Who can have hope for futures,
Who are blessed with peace - unlike many,

....we thank those brave souls,
Who lost their lives, battled and those who survived,
On the beaches,
In the waves before the shore,
In the fields,
Under the sun, snow and rain,
In dust, sandstorms and putrid mud,
In foreign lands - away from home,
Away from family,
Unsure of hope or futures...

Thankyou for your sacrifices, so we could prosper.

Peace to all.

On the earthquake front, Hawaii has/is experiencing a concerted cluster of tremors. I have mentioned several times that I feel that when the east coast of the U.S. (running into Canada west coast) experiences solid movements, that Hawaii goes on to possibly experience tremor/quake clusters or responding movements.

Other parts of the U.S. that went off with tremors/quakes are Idaho and Montana to the west and NW of Yellowstone. Yellowstone has also recorded some small movements. Oklahoma is also having fairly consistent movement - which is driving them nuts over there.
California (up and down the coast. and inland) has had a bit of an increase in tremors since the quakes along the west coast (including Canada west coast). I feel that the San Andreas and its sister faults may be feeling the pressures of movements of the western Pacific Plate playing up. Sometimes I am not sure if also there may be a 'push' of sorts coming from the east (Yellowstone) across to the states (e.g. Idaho) to the west - in combination with the fault/plate activity running along the west coast of the U.S....?

The Azores Islands in Portugal has been up and running with tremors too.

New Zealand and Victoria (Mount Torbreck, Australia) also came up with the tremors/quakes I was anticipating. I think there may be some very small after-movements happening here and there in Victoria.

For the moment,

Duck.

#1326480 - 25/04/2015 16:39 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
Ken Kato Offline
Meteorological Motor Mouth

There's just been a big mag 7.5 quake in Nepal. The USGS detected the quake at 4:11pm AEST with a depth of 10km... which may be revised up or down later of course.

Here's a map automatically generated by the USGS showing the estimated severity of the shaking reported by people nearby and estimated damage levels:

#1326497 - 25/04/2015 17:31 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
Ken Kato Offline

Mag revised up to 7.9 by the USGS at time of writing this!

Here's the latest shaking intensity/estimated damage map from the USGS:

#1326498 - 25/04/2015 17:32 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Ken Kato]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi Ken and all.

Yes, the Nepal quake is a nasty one. There are aftershocks with this.

Some first pictures from the Hindustan Times and
Massive 7.5-earthquake hits Nepal, stro...2015 12:38 IST

Some more info and posts from locals on The Earthquake Report

This was a rather shallow quake and there may unfortunately be fatalities. There may also be landslides and will be much property damage.
Some of the locals said that they felt very dizzy and thought they may fall over with the shock wave.

More will come to light as time goes on.

For now, Duck.

#1326505 - 25/04/2015 18:05 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
Ken Kato Offline

And here's some outputs from the USGS's PAGER system:

#1326521 - 25/04/2015 19:13 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
Ken Kato Offline

Scary stuff from Twitter:

Alex Gavan @AlexGAVAN

Everest base camp huge earthquaqe then huge avalanche from pumori.Running for life from my tent. Unhurt. Many many people up the mountain.
4:31 PM - 25 Apr 2015

Daniel Mazur @danielmazur

A Massive earthquake just hit Everest. Basecamp has been severely damaged. Our team is caught in camp 1. Please pray for everyone.
6:16 PM - 25 Apr 2015

#1326526 - 25/04/2015 19:43 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
Brett Guy Offline

Loc: Bently Park, Cairns
Could be the second big tragedy for everest in a short period of time. Hope the climbers and locals are OK.

Edited by Brett Guy (25/04/2015 19:44)

#1326533 - 25/04/2015 20:52 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
logansi Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Adelaide S.A/Portland Vic

Now looking like death toll go into the 10,000 range

Reported toll at 400 now - unconfirmed

You can see some of the damage in this report: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dG9QfhXNvHA

https://www.ausweatherforum.com

#1326535 - 25/04/2015 21:14 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
Brett Guy Offline

Loc: Bently Park, Cairns
That's bad. Hopefully it doesn't turn out as bad as it is currently looking.

#1326538 - 25/04/2015 22:01 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Brett Guy]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi folks.

Sadly the news from Mount Everest is not good. The following report from The Telegraph (UK) has some information regarding people having lost their lives -
Everest hit by avalanche after Nepal earthquake

...and this report regarding the death toll from the quakes -
Live Updates: 7.9 magnitude earthquake hits Nepal, 688 killed, triggers Mt Everest avalanche

Many people have been affected by this quake/s and many temples, homes and historic buildings have been crumbled into rubble. The government there is seeking international assistance to help with the problems there.

Recently there have been several quakes in southern China (not far from this region) which may have been signs that that region of the Himalayas may have been experiencing a build up to this large quake.
In another report I read back in March (and this may have nothing to do with the current quakes), a river in a region SW (?) of the current quakes was showing signs of a reduction in its flow (and level).

There may be after-movements for some time since the large quake (there have been many so far) as the region settles again. When the intersection (subduction) of large plates are involved, it leads me to feel there may possibly be other moderately sized quakes to follow on in other regions not far from the epicenter of the largest quake - this could be elsewhere along the great breadth of the Himalayas for example. I could be wrong.

This large quake was one of those quakes I call a foundation rattler, where it can send off vibrations around the planet, maybe causing quite a few small quakes to come up in many locations and/or perhaps set off some M6's elsewhere on the planet.

Take all I say with a pinch of salt folks - my thoughts could be wrong.

For now, Duck.

#1326560 - 26/04/2015 09:51 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
Ken Kato Offline

At time of writing, death toll climbing through 1400 (across 4 countries - India, Bangladesh, Nepal and China's Tibet Autonomous Region) including 13 deaths at Mt Everest base camp due to huge avalanches.

Here's the latest estimate from the USGS PAGER system - let's hope it doesn't get much higher:

#1326561 - 26/04/2015 10:03 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hello folks.

I have found an excellent report on "Earth and Space" website regarding the disastrous earthquake in Nepal. It is quite a long report and contains some incredible footage of the ground motion of the larger quake in the Kathmandu Valley. From this video you can gage the intensity of the movement and how such could assist in causing so much damage to structures, potential liquefaction, landslides, avalanches and so on. I even read somewhere that an 'ice-sheet/glacier' (???) has been shifted somewhat....

"The M7.8 Earthquake in Nepal is going to be really, really nasty" by Mika Mckinnon Earth and Space website

My thoughts and prayers go to all those who have been affected by this tragedy.

Continuing resultant/after quakes/movements will only go on to complicate some of the rescue/recovery work - let alone possibly have an affect on structures still perhaps vulnerable to further movements. The folks affected by this mess will understandably be very shaken by these events and emotional and physical recovery will be very much so long term.

There have been a progression of quakes presenting and lurking around the far north-east of the Indian Ocean in the last seven days. With quakes alternating in timing towards the north into the Bay of Bengal. In the last 30 days there have been some quakes showing up in India and China, mainly in relation to the Himalayas. There was one quake in the Plateau of Tibet - about 400 kms north of Kathmandu. I had a bit of a feeling that the Himalayas may have been moving enough to produce a larger quake - but was not sure. The very general behavior of the Plateau and the quakes relative to the Himalayas left me feeling that there may have been a quake along the Himalayan region or into the Plateau (Tibet).

But no matter what I natter on about, let's hope and pray that Nepal and Mount Everest (and any other poorly affected area) can receive the help they need.

For now, Duck.

Page 88 of 154 < 1 2 ... 86 87 88 89 90 ... 153 154 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 52 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Forum Stats
29947 Members
32 Forums
24194 Topics
1529243 Posts

Max Online: 2985 @ 26/01/2019 12:05
Satellite Image