NOTICE!

The Weatherzone forum has now closed and is in read-only mode until the 1st of November when it will close permanently. We would like to thank everyone who has contributed over the past 18 years.

If you would like to continue the discussion you can follow us on Facebook and Twitter or participate in discussions at AusWeather or Ski.com.au forums.

Page 45 of 154 < 1 2 ... 43 44 45 46 47 ... 153 154 >
Topic Options
#1212335 - 03/10/2013 09:13 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Wantirna, Vic
If you follow the USGS earthquake site registers, you will now see on their site - this message -
Quote:
Due to a lapse in Federal funding, the USGS Earthquake Hazards Program has suspended most of its operations. While the USGS will continue to monitor and report on earthquake activity, the accuracy or timeliness of some earthquake information products, as well as the availability or functionality of some web pages, could be affected by our reduced level of operation.
- USGS

Though they have placed this message on their site, the USGS seems to be still be effective and timely in noting many EQ's/tremors as they occur.

There are several other agencies whose earthquake notations are contributed to the Global Incident Map - Earthquakes

Apart from the above Map, there are other agencies around the globe, who register many other tremors for their respective regions which don't show on the Map.

Those links mentioned in my 'signature' below and,
RSOE EDIS - include EQ's

Japan Meteorological Agency

Icelandic Met Office

British Geological Survey

...just to name a few.

The Gulf of California has come up with an M4.3. This quake is located on the plate edge/'fault' which runs north, through and past Los Angeles and San Diego - slightly to the east. Many of the tremors around these two regions seem to be associated with this plate edge/'fault'. Other small tremors have occurred along this 'fault' all the way up to and including the west of Eureka, California in the north. So, this plate/'fault', though it is not unusual to see tremors along its stretch, seems to be renewing energy in some spots (e.g. the Gulf of C.) at the moment.

Anyway for the moment, Duck.

#1212464 - 03/10/2013 18:40 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

So many moderate tremors/quakes today....
Sikkim, India had an M5.3, very shallow at 2kms deep. Has caused panic in the community and buildings to have cracked in many places. Note this is so close to the Himalayas, where I had an irking feeling that larger/moderate movements were going to occur along the vast spread of the Himalayas.
For reports from some folks there, see here.

France has been rattled by a series of tremors/quakes, the largest so far an M4.9. Last night I had a feeling that France may have some 'issues' today - for some reason the letter "J" for Jeune, Jersey (near NW coast) was sticking with me for a moderate quake. These movements are reminiscent of my feelings of those 'energies' I mentioned previously, emanating from the west and the east.

The Owen Fracture Zone, SE of Yemen, is still active (M4.8 today) and this region (again, the upper part of the Indian Ocean/Arabian Sea) is one which I suspected would keep producing M5's (+'s). Maybe the south of Pakistan and perhaps towards Djibouti and/or Eritrea (leading into the Red Sea) may see some corresponding movements (?).

The western side of the Pacific has been active still with M4+'s, as has Indonesia - north of Australia - and to the NW of OZ (Indonesia). This whole general region may continue to crop up with more M5's.
NZ is still feeling small to the odd moderate quake/tremor, and this will continue. White Island is also active. The major plate/fault running through NZ will continue to throw up tremors and the odd M4+ in the near term. I get a gut feeling that this plate may produce a moderate quake, perhaps in the Cook Strait and/or north of the North Island.

Africa - Zambia came up with a moderately surprising EQ. I have been suspecting that Tanzania/DR Congo may have come up with a movement (there is a volcano in this region).

I get a feeling that Puerto Rico may come up with a moderate tremor/EQ soon. Maybe too, near Barbados/Trinidad & Tobago, perhaps a less than moderate movement.

Central America may continue to experience tremors down the coast.

The Gulf of Alaska may yet come up with a moderate quake.

Will continue this post a little later...have to dash.

For the moment, Duck.

#1212497 - 03/10/2013 22:22 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

For those of you who have followed my posts, you will remember that I have had a fairly constant feeling that that vast Mediterranean region, from Turkey over to Italy, and further over into Europe, Spain and curving up through the northern countries (France, Poland etc..) was going to (and has) keep/kept catching my focus for increasing and ongoing movements.
Just in the last 24 hours or so, the number of moderate tremors (M3 and 'up' in size) have been in line with my general suspicions for this vast region.
I still feel there is an inter-relation between most of the quakes, in regards to the core of their cause, especially from the east of Spain and all the way over to/including Turkey. Pakistan (also to the south and SW of) I somewhat add to this whole equation. Maybe even the activity in the Owen Fracture Zone (SE of Yemen) and other nearby activity, could be related.

Generally speaking, the greater intensity of 'tremor' activity has been in the above-mentioned regions today. The other 'region' which has produced substantial movements in mostly 'single' moderately sized bursts, is Asia (Japan, Indonesia, China, China/India border, Philippines...+ some of the Pacific Islands).

The U.S. regions I also watch have just slightly de-energized, but this may not be for long...the tremor activity may pick up a little there from now'ish, maybe once the first mentioned regions (Mediteranian etc..) settle somewhat (?)

All of the above are amateur and unscientific feelings. (I know I sound like a broken record, but I like to mention this occasionally..a bit like a disclaimer if you will wink )

For now, Duck.

#1212554 - 04/10/2013 18:14 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

If I am correct, I think SA, near Hawker/Arkaroola may have just had an M2+. Nothing is showing up on any EQ maps, but I'll hedge my bets that this may have just occurred.....

More later, Duck.

#1212556 - 04/10/2013 18:31 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Just as I suspected, near Hawker has had an M2.4 at 1km deep.
About 5 minutes after my last post, Geoscience put this tremor up on their site.
I have been anticipating movements in this general region over the last couple of days, using the 'cloud' on the satellite as a guide and the consistent mini pre-movements on a seismograph.

For now, Duck.

#1212582 - 04/10/2013 21:16 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Another short post for today...

South of Timor's M5.2 at 10kms deep (40 minutes ago) was a double movement. There was the initial moderate quake, then a subsequent one of approx the same size a few minutes (about 5) later. Therefore 2 quakes in quick succession; this probably was double movement of the same plate shift (same spot).

Sorry for the short posts today, but I am in and out of the house every 5 minutes (or so it seems)...

For now, Duck.

#1212587 - 04/10/2013 21:38 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

4th posts for today blush

There is a buoy SE of Tasmania/SW of the South Island of NZ in event mode. There appears to be a drop/variation in depth/then corresponding rise of 200 metres. The reading is water column depth - this doesn't mean a tsunami necessarily, but more than likely the buoy has read an increase in the distance between the buoy and the sea floor - if I am correct????? I am still learning about these readings, so have a look for yourself at the link below;

National Data Buoy Centre

Duck.

Edited by duckweather (04/10/2013 21:39)

#1212611 - 05/10/2013 10:38 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Here's an interesting article on "The Watchers" website regarding the seismic activity in Romania currently. Seismologists and locals alike, are somewhat confused about the earthquake swarms, the sulfur smells, cracks in the ground and so on....see here -
"Mysterious earthquake swarm and big earth cracks reported in Galati, Eastern Romania"

Here's a webpage from the National Institute For Earth Physics - Romania Romanian Seismicity

Below is a snapshot of the European/Mediterranean region (today/now), showing one of the tremors in Romania and how this general region (as shown on the map snippet) is being rattled by tremors/quakes till now. I personally feel that the movements in this vast region may be interrelated [as I've mentioned previously] and Romania's faults may be responding to such. The sulfuric smell and "boiling water gurgling sound" is curious and I wonder if it is related to what has been going on in that vast region from the east of Spain all the way over to Pakistan..??? Just an amateur thought folks (with no scientific conclusion or proof in this idea on my behalf).

map snippet courtesy of Global Incident Map and image uploaded with ImageShack

If you have a look at the first map in this article from Live Science - "New European Earthquake Catalog Offers Clues to Future Risks" there is a black line representing a "first order fault" running through/near Romania's current tremor location.

The Gulf of California is experiencing moderate quakes, as I felt it may, and the general coastline of California (U.S.) is starting up with regular tremors, again, as I also felt it would in the current time.

There was a doozy of an M6.4 on the Mid-Indian Rodge today., which may lend us to seeing some more movements in the Indian Ocean in the short term.

The waterway between Quebec and Rimouski (Canada) came up with another tremor. This has also been a region which I suspected would possibly come up with some tremors too.

As usual, there is so much more I could gabble on about here and so many other locations which could be mentioned, but I don't want to overdo posting here, so,

For the moment, Duck.

Edited by duckweather (05/10/2013 10:39)

#1212617 - 05/10/2013 11:07 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Ran out of time to add this obscure thought to the above post...

There may be some 'energy' running the length of the south of the Australian continent - at sea - incorporating the great Australian Bight and towards the east...?

Could be wrong here, but just a feeling.

#1212659 - 06/10/2013 00:25 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Maybe this is not unusual, as I haven't followed this EQ map for very long, but there have been 6 quarry blasts registering tremors from approx M1.5 to M2.3 in the U.S. and one in Canada (all near the west coast), within a time frame of about a couple of hours in the morning time (US time). Several were in rather close succession; a couple near minor fault lines and one in a port region.

Locations are;
M2.3 near Princeton, Canada;
M1.5 Port Ludlow (between 2 fault zones), Washington;
M2.2 near Dayton, Oregon (Mount Angel Fault);
M1.7 near Philomath, Oregon;
M1.2 near Springfield, Oregon;
M1.6 near Shady Grove (near the Sky Lakes fault zone), Oregon'

The above-mentioned fault zones appear to be noted on the USGS map as minor faults.

I don't think I can see anymore on the USGS Map

This post is just for information's sake and as a matter of interest (I just thought it was curious). I haven't seen that many diamonds (designated blasts/recording tremors) in the shortish time I have observed this map.

Anyway, had a long day and am off for some ZZZ's now.
Till tomorrow, cheers from the ol' Duck.

#1212685 - 06/10/2013 12:50 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Romania has just had an M5.3 at 20 kms deep.
More info soon.....this one I feel will have caused some issues for the folks there.
For the moment, Duck.

extra - info here

Edited by duckweather (06/10/2013 12:52)

#1212715 - 07/10/2013 10:26 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Didn't get a chance to jot any more notes after yesterdays' post.

Interestingly, west of Macquarie Island (south of Australia/SSW of Tasmania) came up with an M4.7 (10kms deep) 5 hours ago.
From this region and directly north running from here, there is a trench/fault which leads up almost to the southeastern corner of South Australia/SW corner of Victoria. This 'line' intersects east/west running 'faults' west of Tasmania, and which all point to the far SW corner of Tassie.

South Australia and Vic (haven't checked other states yet) are experiencing small intermittent movements, and I get a feeling that Geoscience may even put a couple of tremors up on their site for S.A., maybe near Canberra, W.A., and an outside chance for Vic (though, the movement I suspected may not have been decent enough to register/warrant a formal notation).

As I suspected, the west coast of the U.S. Eureka down - and particularly near L.A., revved up again with a few more M2+'s than we have seen in clusters for a little while. I feel there was energy heading north from Baja California/Gulf of California up into/influencing this region.
Canada has had a couple of coastal jiggles/movements following on from California.

Mexico is another general region I felt would come up with M5's, as with the Chile region and offshore. I meant to mention previously that west of Los Angeles (Chile), offshore may come up with some moderate movements too...this has occurred, but I didn't get time to jot this yesterday.
This may (or may not) lead to another movement closer to shore between Santiago (Chile) and Los Angeles (Chile).

The words Galapagos, 'rocky', loch, san-, atoll, ridge, laken, Santa/Saint, green and bay have all stuck with me over the last couple of days for some reason....may mean nothing.

There are three buoys in event mode currently.
That one SE of Tasmania/SW of NZ Sth. Island is showing 'stable' readings (level) but is still 'flashing' on the NDBC site
There is one NNE of Dampier, Australia/south of Indonesia, showing 'event mode', as is the buoy in the Bay of Bengal (interesting movement there).

The Mariana's M6 today at 127kms deep, and a couple of others in the west of the Pacific, has me feeling that there may be more movements near Japan, north of PNG, maybe towards Ternate/Moluccas region - Indonesia, or near Davao (Philippines). Not predictions, just feelings.
Fiji, Samoa and some other Pacific Island regions, may also (but not all) come up with the odd M4 (+?).

Back a little later...Duck.

post note; no sooner had I finished the above notes, Santa Cruz Island has just registered on the USGS site with an M5.

Edited by duckweather (07/10/2013 10:33)
Edit Reason: bit extra

#1212784 - 08/10/2013 11:00 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi folks.

I feel that near Canberra today (about 2 hours ago) has had an M2. Nothing has come up on the Geoscience website so far, or for the last 4 days actually confused
Will see what is noted for WA, SA, NSW at some point.

Yesterday in noted;
Quote:
The words Galapagos, 'rocky', loch, san-, atoll, ridge, laken, Santa/Saint, green and bay have all stuck with me over the last couple of days for some reason....may mean nothing.

...and San Francisco (-san, bay), Scotland (loch), Santa Cruz Islands (Santa/Saint) coincidentally came up with quakes/tremors....and laken, 'rocky' also were relevant to other locations' tremors. Sometimes out-of-the-blue I get words like this sticking with me for some reason. This has happened on several occasions and sometimes they are poignant and other times they mean nothing.
So far 'Galapagos' hasn't been a relevant 'word' regarding the above.

Near Davao, Mindanao - Philippines came up with the M4+ I anticipated, as did Japan and some of the others in the west of the Pacific. PNG's M4+ was east, not north as I had anticipated.

New Zealand, South Island, had an M4.4, registered as strong by GEONET

14 hours ago. The general region near Seddon/Cook Strait is continuing to experience daily tremors. The fault running through all of NZ is still unsettled, and we may see another EQ south of the Sth. Island; to the north of the North Island and at some point in the near future (time-line? next couple of weeks???) perhaps near Cook Strait....feeling, not prediction.

The Mediterranean, Spain, Turkey, through to Pakistan/Arabian Sea, Bay of Bengal - general regions - are continuing to rattle occasionally. I feel that these regions may keep producing a majority of the smaller tremors to the west and maybe the east could produce less of the smaller and a couple of the moderate tremors/EQ's. The western end of the above mentioned regions may intermittently produce an M4(+?).

For the moment, Duck.

Edited by duckweather (08/10/2013 11:05)
Edit Reason: rearrange

#1212787 - 08/10/2013 11:47 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Just to add on to my last post, Geoscience has just put up an M3.5 for Menangle NSW, NE of Canberra, but the Sydney time for this one is 7:15am, not the one I suspect may have occurred a short time ago....? Will see if there was another one to be registered for the last couple of hours...
Geoscience

Duck.

#1212790 - 08/10/2013 13:33 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Ok, just checked the Geoscience website and they have just put up multiple registers of tremors for the last 4 days.

There is a reading on 2 international EQ recorders here of an M6.1 which has occurred in the northern Pacific region, SE of Japan (way at sea).

An M4.5 has just occurred off the east coast of America - see here for preliminary details.

Global Incidents Map

For now (and this my 3rd post for the day blush ),
Duck

#1212792 - 08/10/2013 13:44 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

An M4.5 has also come up near the Greenland ('green') Sea in the Norwegian Sea.

#1212811 - 08/10/2013 17:02 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

M3+ around Hawker and Arkaroola in South Australia 40 minutes ago?????

....Duck

#1212820 - 08/10/2013 18:35 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Now, maybe I am just weary atm., but I could have sworn I felt a distinct deep vibration under the floor/underground.
Looking at this seimo set - here my feeling is telling me there has either been a large quake somewhere O.S. or the lower half of Oz is brewing for or had a deep grind/slight shift or something.....
I know that sounds a bit dippy, but that was a strange feeling....or i just need a headache tonic wink

Duck

#1212824 - 08/10/2013 19:02 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Ok, maybe I should have downed the cat-worming pills instead of a headache tonic grin
The vibration I felt may have just been reverberations from the EQ of M4.6 in the Banda Sea....
I'm glad, actually, that it wasn't a big quake. They aren't very nice.
An obscure part of my thoughts (whatever cogs are still turning in my brain atm) is that I hope that vibration is not a sign of an M5+ EQ beyond now for the Banda Sea area or this general region....I am more than likely wrong anyways....

Daffy Duck.

Edited by duckweather (08/10/2013 19:03)
Edit Reason: spelling

#1212827 - 08/10/2013 19:17 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
Petros Offline
Meteorological Motor Mouth

Loc: Maffra, Central Gippsland, Vi...
Your mixture of feelings and subsequent facts are an interesting read DW - ......this is were I head if I hear of any tremors!

Page 45 of 154 < 1 2 ... 43 44 45 46 47 ... 153 154 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 29 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Today's Birthdays
JEFF.H., LaLa, Matt Pearce, Squirel2000, TJK1974, Traveller Steveo, Watcher@Tmba
Forum Stats
29947 Members
32 Forums
24194 Topics
1529242 Posts

Max Online: 2985 @ 26/01/2019 12:05
Satellite Image