NOTICE!

The Weatherzone forum has now closed and is in read-only mode until the 1st of November when it will close permanently. We would like to thank everyone who has contributed over the past 18 years.

If you would like to continue the discussion you can follow us on Facebook and Twitter or participate in discussions at AusWeather or Ski.com.au forums.

Page 122 of 154 < 1 2 ... 120 121 122 123 124 ... 153 154 >
Topic Options
#1398300 - 23/12/2016 13:19 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Wantirna, Vic
Just re-read the name for that island near Tassie. I thought it was Three Hammock Island - it is Three Hummock Island - silly me.

#1398454 - 24/12/2016 15:14 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi folks.

Since my last post, I double checked the NSW [offshore SE of Eden]. Silly me, again, it did get recorded by Geoscience after I enlarged the area around Oz regarding where tremors were coming up.
WA has come up with a tremor today and SA has had a movement, which hasn't come up on the Geoscience records/map yet.
Vic seismo's have been registering some isolated [to some regions] small jitters too.

The regions south of Japan [which came up with the M5 I said it would] and Taiwan have come up with a few quakes today. So far Taiwan [which was the other region I said may experience a quake] hasn't had one yet.

PNG is on the 'go' again and Vanuatu has come up with a quake too. It seems the western side of the Pacific has had a sporadic energy rev up, so there may be more to come. It went quiet momentarily after the larger movements, but the energy to produce the quakes has re-energized.

New Mexico [west of Oklahoma] came up with a not too common M4 8 hours ago. It is within a region of potential 'mild hazard' risk for a quake though.
Oklahoma has picked up 'momentum' again.

Montenegro [northern Mediterranean] has come up with an M4.3 a few hours ago. I thought the Mediterranean region [including the vast region I mentioned in a previous post] may have come up with more movement now and into the next few days.

There are always more areas I could prattle on about, but I'll leave it here for now.

I wish everyone a peaceful, safe and happy Christmas. It will be a sad time, for some, who will be without a loved one or two, but their spirit will always be with us. Give all of the ones you love an extra hug. Thanks for being patient with my absences, here and there, throughout this year, which has been a difficult one for my family. And, thanks for your support too. Be kind, be safe, be humble. My best to you all xx

For now, Duck.

#1398556 - 24/12/2016 22:38 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
Town&country Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Perth - Adelaide
Merry Christmas to you as well Duck, we all value your indepth informative posts. Santa delivered me a 3.3 today, just out of Meckering, I would imagine on the same fault line.

#1398781 - 26/12/2016 17:27 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Town&country]
Nature's Fury Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Brisbane Western Suburbs
Duck what are your thoughts on earthquake activity in the Pacific at the moment. There have been two rounds of high magnitude activity that seems to be traveling in a clockwise direction from NZ around to Chile. We headed for a big notable one somewhere or is this energy release actually preventing one?

Edited by Nature's Fury (26/12/2016 17:27)

#1398808 - 26/12/2016 22:02 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Nature's Fury]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi all.

Town&Country ;
Quote:
Merry Christmas to you as well Duck, we all value your indepth informative posts. Santa delivered me a 3.3 today, just out of Meckering, I would imagine on the same fault line.

Thankyou for the Christmas wishes wink and the complement. My posts actually are not as thorough as I would like them to be. I see more in the global activity than I say many a time. Sometimes I don't mention certain areas, which actually go on to register quakes. This can be because I am sometimes jotting posts quickly or think I may be wrong if I mention some locations or on the odd occasion I miss some quakes completely. There have been times when some regions stand out in my mind's-eye, but fail to put them in my posts - this, when these locations do come up with quakes - I 'kick' myself for not mentioning them. As I always say in many of my posts though, don't take what I post as being 'spot-on' observations of what may really be going on with quakes. I just get feelings - which if I worked on observing maps and seismo's reading full time [I wish I could], I may be more able to offer more info. And...maybe I should just note those 'niggling' feelings I get about some locations, when these locations do end up coming up with quakes.

Sometimes I just get eerie feelings that a quake is brewing somewhere. Especially when the activity involves some parts of Australia or surrounding regions. Some may think my head is -in-the-clouds' [Maybe 'they' say - "Ok, the old hippy/surfie girl has gone dippy again" smile ] and that's ok. There are several folks like me who are ridiculed for some of their obscure observations and thoughts on quakes, but that's ok too. Sometimes I get these 'feelings' without looking at the maps and seismo's. On the odd occasion, I stop in my 'tracks' and just sense that something is going to move. I am an observer of nature, animal behaviour etc., so this comes into the equation too.
My kids [adults] think their mother is a bit strange sometimes, but they have been known to come to me and say "You were right mum, there was a quake in [location] you thought may happen". I try and make sure I tell one of them at least when get the odd strong feeling for a local or Oz surrounds [other countries] potential for a quake. That way I have a witness to some of the 'obs' I can prattle on about. I used to keep a diary of those thoughts/feelings [pre-quakes], but haven't done this for a while.

....I have prattled on again Town&country smile ....and here's some more smile [on a bit of a roll]...

Nature's Fury;
Quote:
Duck what are your thoughts on earthquake activity in the Pacific at the moment. There have been two rounds of high magnitude activity that seems to be traveling in a clockwise direction from NZ around to Chile. We headed for a big notable one somewhere or is this energy release actually preventing one?

That's a great question, Nature's Fury.

For me to describe my thoughts on this one succinctly [?] and visually, I have thought of doing a little video, with pen in hand and world map - and scrawling lines all over the place showing where I sometimes think the energy is coming from and where it is going.....may do that one day soon. I like visual stuff smile

But, to try and answer your question;

Keep in mind that there are some scientific folks and others who will disagree with what I see/feel. There are some who add my ramblings to their mind's-file of 'possibilities-but we'll see'....and their are others who interestidly follow some of the stuff I mention...all good - personal choice.

Anyway, sometimes the energy producing quakes can look like it is travelling clock-wise. There are times to when it can seem the complete reverse. In regards to the current activity, I feel there is a solid focus of movement in the western Pacific, which;
1] maybe causing other regions to respond to its energy,
2] the cause for the western Pacific quakes may be from the same energy causing the Chile quakes [for example]. Meaning, the driving force of these quakes - overall - may be partly because of energies coming up from the south of the Pacific [maybe even involving the polar regions] and then mixing it with 'vulnerabilities' of/in plate edges and sea trenches.
3] e.g. the western P. activity may [?] cause a 'pull' on the east and/or SE Pacific - driving the plates to shift? If the originating energy is coming from the pole or trenches [for e.g.] this may place drag, pull or push [in a north, east or west direction?] on the plates and be dissipated into and spread to various 'points' in the Pacific...
4] maybe coming from within the earth's core/under the crust - being influenced by core activity -- maybe combined with solar and gravitational activity..???
5] Sometimes I have no scientific idea... smile Not a scientist.

Sometimes I 'see' the activity in the western Pacific go up through and into the west [through Indonesia, Philippines, China [lower or central] etc., through the Himalayan ranges, west through he Middle East and sometimes into the Mediterranean. But this is one example of where the energy can go.

Depending what is driving the energy, where it is coming from and how intense it is, there can appear to be various 'patterns' [for want of a better word] evident sometimes. When the energy is a global rattler, quakes can pop in up a semi-randomized [appearance] manner. Then what we may usually see as a sort of recognizable energy patter, becomes a little randomized. When I see large quakes coming up in short succession across the planet, I feel the earth can be [foundation] rattled enough to have quakes set off 'all over the place'.

The quakes we have seen in the Pacific may be the release we need to have lessened the chance of a very large quake. It depends, again, on what is driving these quakes and how intense [increasing, reducing or being dissipated] the energy is and the momentum [persistent? or reducing?]. Alternatively, there is a small chance [I reckon] of a large quake popping up somewhere if these other larger quakes keep rearing their ugly head. If the energy lessens in the Pacific, I reckon there may be a small chance that the larger energies may show up over the other 'side' of the planet somewhere'ish....

Dang, I clicked 'submit' too soon without proof reading my rattling on above. It is a bit of a long prattle...and no I am not 'on' the Christmas spirits smile I just got rid of a heat headache. I'll edit this post after I read it again....I hope it made sense.... crazy ....cheers Duck.

Edited by duckweather (26/12/2016 22:05)
Edit Reason: bit extra

#1399156 - 28/12/2016 19:47 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi folks.

There's the Nevada larger tremor I was anticipating [mentioned my suspicions that may occur]. An M5.8 has just occurred. In watching over the last few weeks the niggles in this general region, it does not surprise me that this quake has occurred.

For now, Duck.

#1399170 - 28/12/2016 20:51 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi again.

Just adding to my last post, I meant to mention too that this - top seismo set of readings is showing a gradually increasing [over some hours] of 'irritation'. A similar reading was evident before a larger quake in the western Pacific islands [NE, NNE of the eastern top of Australia] - the M8 in PNG on the 17th December. I am not saying there will definitely be another M8, but the signature on the above-mentioned seismo is displaying a similar 'build up' as the one on/about the 17th December. I hope I may be wrong folks.

For now, Duck.

P.s. check the Global Incidents Map [link at the bottom of my posts] to see where, in the west of Nevada, the quakes are coming up for the west U.S. region.

Edited by duckweather (28/12/2016 20:52)

#1399246 - 29/12/2016 10:11 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
tsunami Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Wynnum SE Brisbane
Wow i see frank hooperbeets has an earthquake warning for Europe and west coast usa
Interesting

#1399248 - 29/12/2016 10:15 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi again.

The 'signature' on the seismo, I mentioned in my last post, seems to be slightly less 'irritated' at the moment. There may have been some very slightly heightened energy running through it for quite a few hours and now seems to be lessening for the time being.

Nevada hasn't stopped with after movements since the M5.8. This is very interesting movement and I wonder if the energy hovvering around there and being released may travel north or NW - up the fault or send some south anywhere towards LA or towards Las Vegas - along or involving the mountain ranges...??? Tremors may come up sporadically along the west coast [to the west of the Nevada quakes] as it may niggle some possibly vulnerable [to movements] sister and unrelated faults [perhaps the San Andreas as well].

Offshore western Canada [or maybe in the Cascadia Mountain Ranges running parallel to the coast] may pop up with a tremors or two whilst or after the western U.S. and Alaska have been moving too.
Hawaii [Big Island] is responding to some energy as well.

For the moment, Duck.

P.s Remember to take all I say with a 'pinch-of-salt' folks.

#1399722 - 01/01/2017 00:08 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Happy New Year everyone. I hope 2017 is everything you wish it to be and stay safe, happy, healthy and peace to all. Duck xx

#1400089 - 02/01/2017 17:55 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
Seina Offline
Meteorological Motor Mouth

Loc: Adelaide Hills
Originally Posted By: duckweather
Happy New Year everyone. I hope 2017 is everything you wish it to be and stay safe, happy, healthy and peace to all. Duck xx

And I wish you a fantastic, productive, purposeful, and contented 2017. I won’t wish you to remain in an a given emotional state for the entire year wink !!

#1400288 - 03/01/2017 10:09 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Seina]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Thankyou Cosmic. Last year was a difficult one with several family serious physical health issues [one ongoing unfortunately] and the passing of my beautiful mum. 2017 hopefully, and I will wish for, will offer many good things for mine, yours and everyone's families here. I am an optimist and also hope to continue on with this great thread with stuff which may be interesting, as accurate as can be, and hopefully helpful for some. Cheers Cosmic and all the other good folks here and thankyou for your interest in all of my ramblings in my posts. This is a wonderful community wink Duck xx

#1400451 - 04/01/2017 09:30 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
ColdFront Offline

Loc: The Beach.
3.9 near Wollongong this morning.

#1400487 - 04/01/2017 15:29 Re: Earthquakes [Re: ColdFront]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi Coldfront and all.

The NSW tremor was felt by quite a few I see. This region is not immune to tremors, same with the other regions in Oz, such as recent WA and SA tremor locations. There is so much going on near the eastern and NE and NNE side of Oz atm.. New Zealand is also in the mix for more tremors/quakes at the moment too.
The western side of the Pacific Plate [in conjunction with the Aus. Plate] is not happy at the moment.
The latest larger Fiji quake and subsequent Vanuatu quake is indicative of the concentrated action coming in waves for the western Pacific.
We had a rattle here [rattled closed doors] this morning and coincided with a NZ quake, but I actually don't think the two were directly related. I get a feeling that the southern movements [even the small ones you would have to sitting still to notice] are coming in from the east and up from the south. A Vic seismo [SE Vic] has been registering very small and sweet movements in the last 24'ish hours. Vic may [or may not] come up with a tremor we could feel yet....?

Notice how the energy [which I see in my mind's-eye] traveling through Indonesia -> the lower China regions [Himalayas] -> India -> Middle East....? These quakes may be influenced by the east of these regions [energy travel] or regions like the Indian Ocean plates and the African Plate may be sending energy up through to the north...??

The U.S. is still niggling [west coast regions and Nevada]. They may come up with another M5'ish in the near future.
I feel Hawaii will 'marry' into the Pacific activity, especially the west U.S. activity.

Other regions have and will come up with tremors and quakes, but I need to catch up with that.

For now, Duck.

Japan may come up with a couple more M5's or in nearby regions.

Edited by duckweather (04/01/2017 15:29)

#1400505 - 04/01/2017 17:44 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
Homer Offline

Loc: Dural
Hi Ducky. Love ya work and always read this thread when updated.

I have a question for you and I hope it doesn't sound stupid, but I've always wondered why, when a painting or wall hanging is hung true and level, and then when you see it a few days later it is crooked and needs re-straightening.
I often wondered whether this is due to any seismic activity unfelt by humans?
Could this be possible?
My house in on a concrete slab with supporting concrete piers up to 4 mtrs deep. How else would they move and become out of level?

Cheers.

#1400547 - 04/01/2017 20:54 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Homer]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi Homer.

That is not a silly question at all. I have some pictures that do the same thing. All are normally true and level and shift every few days or so. One of mine has shifted again today after the subtle rattle we had here. Sometimes after straightening them before I go to bed, one in particular is slightly crooked again the next morning or arvo.
My house is on concrete stumps. Interestingly, since our M5.3 a few years ago, the rear ends of all of our houses on my side of the street have been very slightly sinking. Not to a degree where the back of all of our houses will eventually have open air bedrooms, lounge rooms etc., but enough for some of the houses to have sunk in one corner [next door] with a large zig-zag crack along a back wall; one house got re-stumped; window frames are slightly out [one of mine is out by 2 inches at its worst point] an a few other small issues. Some fences have slightly shifted as well. All have been checked and cleared of other causes, like termites, stumps etc.. Just waiting now for a fault line to appear somewhere smile crazy [just kidding].

One thing I'd love Geoscience to do, is to register every movement noted in all states. I am sure we have very small movements, independent of the effects from larger distant quakes [offshore of Australia- in other neighboring countries]. Maybe I could pose that question to them one day. The United States [USGS] does this and it makes for interesting observation of what's going on over there.

Thanks Homer for your complement on the stuff I occasionally post here. I appreciate that. I am not always correct in my observations and not always 'around', but I give it a shot smile

Anyway, it has been a rather interesting day on the Pacific and Australian tremor/EQ front. I think we may see some more tremors come up in Oz in response to [and not isolated to] the Pacific activity.

For now, Duck.

Edited by duckweather (04/01/2017 20:55)

#1400646 - 05/01/2017 13:24 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
tsunami Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Wynnum SE Brisbane
Frank hooperbeets has put out an earthquake warning for around 12th january..possible megathrust 8+ event due to planatry alignments.lets hope that doesnt occur

#1400753 - 05/01/2017 22:11 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
Seina Offline

Loc: Adelaide Hills
Originally Posted By: duckweather
Thankyou Cosmic. Last year was a difficult one with several family serious physical health issues [one ongoing unfortunately] and the passing of my beautiful mum. 2017 hopefully, and I will wish for, will offer many good things for mine, yours and everyone's families here. I am an optimist and also hope to continue on with this great thread with stuff which may be interesting, as accurate as can be, and hopefully helpful for some. Cheers Cosmic and all the other good folks here and thankyou for your interest in all of my ramblings in my posts. This is a wonderful community wink Duck xx

I wrote what I did because of the candour you express in your posts...I do not know how much our fields of interests overlap, but I am certainly more interested in pure science from my perspective, and understanding how nature works. That is fundamentally why I am still continuing on this forum albeit to a limited extent. See my signature smile .

I acknowledge what you have indicated above, but choose to reserve mentioning any details about matters outside of forum topics. Maybe that will help others to appreciate more where I'm coming from.

Edited by -Cosmic- (naz) (05/01/2017 22:12)

#1400759 - 05/01/2017 22:30 Re: Earthquakes [Re: tsunami]
Locke Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Brisbane
Originally Posted By: tsunami
Frank hooperbeets has put out an earthquake warning for around 12th january..possible megathrust 8+ event due to planatry alignments.lets hope that doesnt occur

Even a broken clock is right twice a day. Frank makes so many predictions odds are a few occasionally come true.
This post and any other post by Locke is NOT an official forecast & should not be used as such. It's just my opinion & may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. For official information, refer to Australian Bureau of Meteorology products.

#1400762 - 05/01/2017 23:00 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Seina]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi Cosmic wink
Thanks for the message/post. I have an eclectic set of interests. I observe what the sciences offer, my own intuition and related observations [feelings, as I nick-name them] and am one who maintains an open mind regarding such. I feel no one element of observation holds all the answers as to why, for example, quakes/tremors occur and what drives them. Sometimes science faces challenges explaining some things, as does ones intuition. I also believe in observing the behaviours of nature animals, water [sea, lakes etc.], atmospheric changes and so many other things. Without wanting to rattle on here, I take note [when I am observant] of more things along the natural and intuitive 'line', whilst observing [or sometimes correlating] scientific perspectives on things. I hope that made sense smile

Sometimes I briefly note why I may be absent at length/s from my sometimes 'obsessive' posting, as I feel I owe that to the folks who may follow what I prattle on about regarding EQ's. I am well aware that some folks may not believe in how I approach my observations and that's ok. Some folks are very dedicated to observing the sciences [current and past knowledge] and that's great too. We all have our individual preferences for the sources of our understanding of this interesting world we live in/on. I've always been the 'way I am' since I was a little mite. My father [passed] and I were very tuned into the stuff I relate here for as long as I can remember. My kids think I am a bit weird smile

My professional interests [past and present] can be found in a link in my 'signature' below. I think you could be interested in one of the genres in particular Cosmic wink

Hey tsunami wink Frank may be right, but, of course, time will tell. He studies a unique perspective [which I can never seem to get my head around - but he is very interesting regarding his observations]. There are a few folks who aim to provide some valuable perspectives and observations regarding the potential [prediction] of EQ's. Like me, Frank won't always be absolutely accurate in his 'predictions', as this is nearly impossible for anyone. Some [and I don't include Frank here] unfortunately proclaim an impending Armageddon of a quake for a particular time frame, which I feel can panic some folks unnecessarily, and when it doesn't occur [thank goodness] their credibility can take a little dive. I nearly always say - "take what I say with a pinch of salt folks" - because I realize that my observations may not be accurate on quite a few occasions.
Just make your own minds up as to what 'sits' right with your own feelings, beliefs and intuition.

Well, Vic [north of Melbourne, Rochester] came up with the tremor [and small after- and pre-movements] I felt it might [I didn't state Rochester in a previous post], as have Japan and some of the other locations I have nattered on about in recent posts. The west of the Pacific is not settled and may throw up another larger quake [M6+]. It [Pacific west] seems to be on recurring rounds of substantial movements.

Cheers for the moment, Duck.

Page 122 of 154 < 1 2 ... 120 121 122 123 124 ... 153 154 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 43 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Today's Birthdays
Caldoche, David Obeid, desblair, Morrisjub, rmj007, rummy21, StormQueen
Forum Stats
29947 Members
32 Forums
24194 Topics
1529242 Posts

Max Online: 2985 @ 26/01/2019 12:05
Satellite Image