NOTICE!

The Weatherzone forum has now closed and is in read-only mode until the 1st of November when it will close permanently. We would like to thank everyone who has contributed over the past 18 years.

If you would like to continue the discussion you can follow us on Facebook and Twitter or participate in discussions at AusWeather or Ski.com.au forums.

Page 92 of 154 < 1 2 ... 90 91 92 93 94 ... 153 154 >
Topic Options
#1329910 - 23/05/2015 07:59 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
Ken Kato Offline
Meteorological Motor Mouth

Aaaand another big quake in the Santa Cruz islands region, this time a prelim mag 7.1/depth 100km (GA data) at 7:45am this morning.

Edited by Ken Kato (23/05/2015 08:02)
Edit Reason: amended parameters

#1329918 - 23/05/2015 10:24 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
Ken Kato Offline
Meteorological Motor Mouth

And yet another one in the space of less than 3 hours, this time a mag 6.9 (GA data) almost next to the one earlier this morning.

#1329919 - 23/05/2015 10:37 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Ken Kato]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Wantirna, Vic
Hi Ken and all.

The number of M6+'s in the Solomon's region is incredible Ken.
This movement is also incredible and so substantial that you wonder what the Pacific Plate/Australian Plate has further in store?

Now, you may think I am a bit strange, but I woke bolt upright at about 5am this morning with a feeling of this actually going to happen. The words that were going through my mind were "Solomon Islands". When I discovered that the Solomons' had had another large quake (and now another) left me feeling a bit cold.

Another thing I had observed yesterday was another jitter in the buoy in the Coral Sea, similar to the one which had occurred before the other large quakes.

NZ, along their large fault line, near Kaikoura in the South Island (near the NE coast) came up with an M5, which follows on from what I suspected may occur with the movements throwing up NNW of NZ in the Solomon general region.

I for one, will be watching for other movements elsewhere in the Pacific.

For now, Duck.

Also; just found this article The largest earthquake recorded by instr...on May 22, 2015

Edited by duckweather (23/05/2015 10:42)
Edit Reason: bit extra

#1329947 - 23/05/2015 18:05 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
ozone doug Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Roma SW QLD Eye to the West...
You were right about the one in the uk Duckweather .I thought nah UK don't get many ,lol.

#1330011 - 24/05/2015 18:54 Re: Earthquakes [Re: ozone doug]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi ozone doug and all.

Yes, I had a strong feeling that there was 'energy' driving into and up the English Channel. When the French tremors were dotting along their coastline, I felt that the nature of the tremors were 'lending' themselves to perhaps 'unfinished business' in relation to the Channel. As it was, the 'energy' surfaced on land in the NE coast of the U.K. near Kent. Kent is not immune to tremors and the fairly recent history of U.K. tremors has many of their tremors encompassing a kind of circle - which includes running through the U.K.- basically encircling the North Sea - incorporating somewhat the coastlines of Norway, Netherlands, Denmark, France etc.. (all of their west coasts.

The Atlantic is now following marginally on from all the larger quakes in the Pacific. I was waiting for an M6 to come up in the Atlantic and one has come up, an M6.4, on the Southern Mid-Atlantic Ridge. There have also been other tremors up the ridge to the north and the south (South Sandwich Islands).

The U.S. has been feeling an increase in M3+'s and Hawaii has been following on suit with tremors as well.

The Canadian region near Quebec has become active again with a tremor/s in the M2+ range. This, I feel and as I have mentioned before, is associated with the waterway which runs into Canada/U.S. border from the Gulf of St Lawrence -> all the way WSW to near the Chicago regions.

Australia has come up with a couple of M3+'s in WA - NE and SW.

Nepal is still feeling numerous after movements. As is the Solomons's region, with some of the 'energy' going NW through PNG.

For now, Duck.

#1330070 - 25/05/2015 16:50 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
AaronD Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Tokyo, Japan
Quite a large 5.6 just north of Tokyo an hour ago.
It was large enough to set the emergency alarm off.

I don't think there has been one so big in Tokyo for over a year.

#1330110 - 26/05/2015 10:16 Re: Earthquakes [Re: AaronD]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi Aaron and all.

I was suspecting that the trench involved with the Marainna's and Bonin region may come into play regarding tremors in the Japanese regions. Below is a description from Wikipedia which aptly describes this region (better than me).

Quote:
The Izu-Bonin-Mariana (IBM) arc system is an outstanding example of a plate tectonic convergent boundary. IBM extends over 2800 km south from Tokyo, Japan, to beyond Guam, and includes the Izu Islands, Bonin Islands, and Mariana Islands; much more of the IBM arc system is submerged below sealevel. The IBM arc system lies along the eastern margin of the Philippine Sea Plate in the Western Pacific Ocean. It is most famous for being the site of the deepest gash in Earth's solid surface, the Challenger Deep in the Mariana Trench.
source "Izu-Bonin-Mariana Arc" Wikipedia

Some time ago I felt that Japan was going to go on to feel a run of tremors/quakes and this is now occurring. The Izu-Bonin-Mariana Trench - as is mentioned in the quote above - runs from/to Tokyo and is a volcanic region.

There is a very complex group of plates which involve Japan and another quake came up in the Sea of Japan yesterday. This may indicate the pressures of the irritations currently floating around the Japanese regions currently.

It appears to me that the M5.7 in the North Pacific Ocean, is just north of the chain of undersea mounds (volcanic) which runs from Hawaii and curves up to Kamchatka. The true nature of this quake - I am not completely sure of though.

The M5.4 below Australia (on the southern end of the Australia Plate) is not a surprise to me as a flow on from the large movements in the Pacific recently, which so far and luckily has translated through NZ yet.

I'll have to finish this post later, as I have to go out now.....

Duck.

#1330169 - 26/05/2015 23:37 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi again for today.

Just continuing on from my last post...

The west coast of Norway came up with an M2.1, which seems to me to fit in with what I mentioned in my post yesterday regarding the U.K. and the west coasts of Norway, Holland, France etc., positioned in a 'circle' around the North Sea. I feel it was a matter of time before one of the west coasts of these countries came up with a tremor.

The western end of the Mediterranean Sea (northern Algeria) came up with a decent sized M5.6 today and the Bay of Biscay (west of France) came up with an M3.2.

There are still M5's and M4+'s coming up in various places in the Pacific, away from mainlands. Northern California and the Aleutian Islands have also been feeling M4+'s.

In the last 36 hours, there have been quite a few small, mainly unnoticeable, tremors popping up generally (except for a couple) along the main fault/plate edges running through both NZ islands.

For now, Duck.

#1330239 - 27/05/2015 20:51 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi folks.

Well another tremor, an M3, came up for the UK, just SW of Bangor. (There's a "B" word/name which is sort of what I was eluding to in another post regarding a tremor possibly coming up for the UK near a town named with a "B" like Bristol, Birmingham etc.).

I get a feeling that South Australia may come up with another M3 or a shade under.
Queensland hasn't come up with a near coastal or just inland tremor I thought it might as yet.
A Vic seismo (NW of Melb.) has shown some isolated jitters today, but this might be in relation to the eastern side of SA possibly going on to feel a movement. Though I am getting a bit of a feeling that Vic may yet come up with some sort of movement too.

NSW came up with the tremors I was anticipating and WA is still coming up with the odd tremor in its usual regions. Though there have been some movements recently in the NE and NW of WA.

I am fighting with my internet connection atm., so hopefully I will do a better post tomorrow or so...

For now, Duck.

#1330266 - 28/05/2015 11:30 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
BIG T Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Albany Creek , QLD
well duck , maybe what we have learnt over the years is all nonsense. A Pakistani Sheik has publicy declared earthquakes all over the world are actually caused by women wearing jeans.
So there you go. Ban jeans & rebuild with stone and brick with gay abandon.

#1330400 - 29/05/2015 22:57 Re: Earthquakes [Re: BIG T]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi BIG T and all.

Well BIG T I'll have to shelve my denim flares, just when I thought this nanna was getting cool again....

Anyway folks, I have to catch up a little on the EQ front, as I have been running on 2 brain cells thanks to the virus that is sweeping Melbourne at the moment.

The U.S. west coast and especially Alaska, have come up with some decent quakes today. The Alaskan quake set off the buoy in the Gulf, but not a tsunami thank goodness, as I think it was too deep and the nature of the quake may have only produced some water disturbances. Hawaii followed on from the U.S. west coast again immediately with an M2+.

Nepal can't get a break from quakes and their latest ones are getting up into the M4+ region again. I hope these don't go on to produce something bigger than M5+.

The ridges south of Australia have some energy running around there at the moment (coming up from the Antarctic region - my feelings) with 2 M5's. Tasmania south responded with an M2.5 near Hobart.

We felt a very small and sharp jolt here about 30 minutes ago, but you would have had to have been still to notice it. Makes me wonder if one of the fault/s that have caused Moe's and other locations east of here (one was the next suburb to me) may be feeling a little pressure at the moment...??? It wouldn't surprise me if we had a tremor which others may feel....

The Mediterranean regions generally around Crete (and surrounds) is rather active at the moment. I wonder if this general region may go on to feel an M5+...???

Japan's activity is ongoing, currently east of Honshu and down that arc I discussed in a last post. If I have my facts right (and my 2 functioning brain cells are remembering correctly) a volcano is erupting near a southern region of southern Japan.

The deepest quake so far in the last 15 hours has been Japan's Izu Islands region (in the arc region). And the shallowest quakes - which have been most of the quakes in the last 15 hours (apart from Chile - 200+ deep kms) has been British Columbia Canada.

Interestingly, the Alaskan larger quake has been described by one local as having a lengthy feel to its movement and a rolling effect. It seem the Pacific NE region (plates) have/are show/ing some solid slower movements, without a sharp jolt of a catch-and-release..???

NZ has been quieter than I thought it may be in the current time...which is a good thing.

According to Geoscience's records for the last 7 days, Western Australia has been the star of the show with tremors - see here

For moment, dim Duck.

#1330474 - 30/05/2015 21:43 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

OMG an M8.5 in Bonin Islands Japan.....very deep though at 700kms, which the USGS and NOAA have not issued a tsunami for because of the depth. I knew this was going to happen....

USGS info here

The USGS has just downgraded it to an M7.8
And.. the west coast of the U.S. is now responding to the quake with M4's

Duck.

Edited by duckweather (30/05/2015 21:49)
Edit Reason: extra

#1330479 - 30/05/2015 22:03 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Back again...something fell on the roof here and just went to check on what it was...

The reason I felt that the Bonin quake was on the cards was because of what I felt I saw in the quake behaviours in this general region in the last 24 hours. This was the same feeling I had before the nasty Nepal quakes recently.

The west of New Zealand (way west of Cook Strait) has also come up with an M5+ (adding extra to this post - 750kms deep - related to Japan I feel) just 10 minutes after Bonin. It seems that the Pacific Plate generally has had a concerted movement, but I can't be sure if the U.S., NZ and Bonin are directly related at this point, but all of these quakes have occurred within 'minutes' of each other....

There maybe more quakes to come in the Pacific, but don't quote me on that......

Three buoys have gone off (event mode) in the Japanese region - NOAA

For the moment, Duck.

Edited by duckweather (30/05/2015 22:08)
Edit Reason: extra

#1330482 - 30/05/2015 22:15 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Ran out of time to edit...

Japan Meteorological Agency has the Bonin quake pegged at M8.5 and 590 kms deep.

Duck.

#1330483 - 30/05/2015 22:21 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
AaronD Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Tokyo, Japan
It was a big one, i was sitting in bed watching a movie and got a bit nervous after 15seceonds. it probably shook for over a minute or so.

Although on a different line, do you think it is related to the erupting volcano in the south of Japan?

http://www.jma.go.jp/en/volcano/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNTci6qESy0

Edited by AaronD (30/05/2015 22:24)

#1330485 - 30/05/2015 22:22 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
logansi Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Adelaide S.A/Portland Vic
Wow thats deep - never relied quakes went much beyond 100km - if you have the time could you explain how they and their effects differ?

https://www.ausweatherforum.com

#1330486 - 30/05/2015 22:35 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
logansi Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Adelaide S.A/Portland Vic
http://quakes.globalincidentmap.com/ has a 4.0 is NSW - is that right? 34 mins ago??

https://www.ausweatherforum.com

#1330487 - 30/05/2015 22:49 Re: Earthquakes [Re: logansi]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi again.

Armand on The Earthquake Report site feels that the Bonin quake may have occurred in the hot part of the deep mantle. This is a real foundation rattler in my 'books'.
In my amateur opinion, I feel it may be related to the volcanic activity in the region.

If you look at or think about all the large quakes we have had lately and the quakes along the plate edges around the planet (including the Rift Zone in NE Africa - which is moving at the moment - involving the regions near the Arabian Peninsula and Djibouti), the global plates seem to be showing some decent shuffling at the moment.

NSW has just had an M4 in Ganmain, Riverina, which I feel may be a response to the quakes in the Pacific just now.

These plates, like the Pacific one, are big b*ggers and when they decide to move from deep in the crust, they seem to me to send off energy like a bell ringing around a vast region and sometimes around the planet.

Aaron, the movement was of such a decent size that I reckon you felt a 'lengthy' movement because of the nature of the quake. Thank goodness it wasn't on land.

The effects of deeper quakes, as I mentioned, seem to tend to throw off that bell ringing effect (even through the depths of the deep mantle) to affect lands even at a great distance.

The shallower quakes tend to affect the regions directly near the quake. Even though these movements may show up on seismo's worldwide.

It's a bit like the difference between dropping a bowling ball on the floor (surface) v.s. exploding a bomb deep in the foundations. One has more of a local effect and the latter has a more far reaching (deep) dissipation of underground energy - if that makes sense.

There has been no after movement since the Bonin quake (aftershocks) so far.

For the moment, Duck.

#1330496 - 31/05/2015 06:32 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
BIG T Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Albany Creek , QLD
A monster off japan , lucky it was so deep.

#1330507 - 31/05/2015 10:41 Re: Earthquakes [Re: BIG T]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi again.

Quote:
NSW has just had an M4 in Ganmain, Riverina, which I feel may be a response to the quakes in the Pacific just now.

What I meant to say about NSW, was that "NSW has just recorded and M4 in response to the quakes in the Pacific."

The NSW 'M4' must have been initially thought of as a tremor from this region. just as the movements from the Bonin M8.5 came through. Geoscience went on to correct this record on their site, to remove it from our map. I thought it may have been possible for Australia on the east side to have come up with a tremor following the large deep movement (Bonin), so first seeing the NSW M4 come up wouldn't have surprised me if that really had happened, but something was niggling at me that this M4 may just possibly have been a nervous twitch and a potential error.

Just in relation to the Bonin quake, here is a link to a report about a volcano, not far from all of the quakes in this region - with interesting videos attached....

Very strong eruption of Mount Shindake, Japan - injuries reported Posted by Adonai on May 29, 2015

Regarding what logansi asked of me last night;
Quote:
Wow thats deep - never relied quakes went much beyond 100km - if you have the time could you explain how they and their effects differ?

I didn't answer that question very well. I might have some time later to explain it better.... wink

My youngest 'baby' turns 18 today, so I'll try and get back after the 'stuff' we are doing today in celebrating his big milestone. Don't you feel old when they reach these milestones? cry

For now, old Duck.

Page 92 of 154 < 1 2 ... 90 91 92 93 94 ... 153 154 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 39 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Today's Birthdays
benny200, ChaseNZ, ptera, stormymick1, ThunderstormZ, typhoonbeach
Forum Stats
29947 Members
32 Forums
24194 Topics
1529247 Posts

Max Online: 2985 @ 26/01/2019 12:05
Satellite Image