NOTICE!

The Weatherzone forum has now closed and is in read-only mode until the 1st of November when it will close permanently. We would like to thank everyone who has contributed over the past 18 years.

If you would like to continue the discussion you can follow us on Facebook and Twitter or participate in discussions at AusWeather or Ski.com.au forums.

Topic Options
#1331174 - 08/06/2015 10:32 Low Min Record for Katoomba
Eigerwand Offline
Weather Freak

Something I've always wondered about is the accuracy of the minimum record for Katoomba, a startling -8.2C on 1st of June 1977. Living in the area for 30 years I've never seen it come close to this or even show the potential to reach such a record. It's also within a degree of the records held in Bathurst and Orange, places far colder in terms of minimums. It seems for this record to be accurate it would rely on a truly unique set of conditions to set up such an event, can anyone shed any light on this? I can imagine such a figure would be possible if the reading was taken in some of the hollows around Catalina Park or somewhere similar, was the station moved at some point?

Edited by Eigerwand (08/06/2015 10:38)

#1336835 - 29/07/2015 12:08 Re: Low Min Record for Katoomba [Re: Eigerwand]
Rigger Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Leanyer,NT (suburb of Darwin)
I can remember the 31st of May 1977 as being a cold snowy day in Victoria and NSW. Katoomba's top temp on the 31st was only 2.1c so most likely a very cold pool of air descended after the snow showers cleared away. The -8.2c was recorded on the 1st of June and the max for this day was only 4.1c. Would be interesting to see a synoptic map of the set up for the 31st and the 1st ?

#1336839 - 29/07/2015 13:50 Re: Low Min Record for Katoomba [Re: Eigerwand]
ZanLaTion Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Murrays Beach NSW
I have lived in Leura for 10 years and the lowest I can remember is about -5C, which we had on 2-3 occasions. The upper mountains has a large variation in overnight temperatures due to localised effects. I often see my overnight temperatures get to say -1 by 10pm and finish up and -2 by 7am. I am on a ridge top, so I assume that the really cold air slides into the valleys.

You expect Bathurst and Orange to get very low temperatures due to the hollow effect, as you mentioned. Katoomba is sitting on a ridge. I would be interested to hear from upper mountain locals on their localised overnight temperatures.

#1336845 - 29/07/2015 14:25 Re: Low Min Record for Katoomba [Re: ZanLaTion]
Homer Offline
Meteorological Motor Mouth

Loc: Dural
Originally Posted By: ZanLaTion
I have lived in Leura for 10 years and the lowest I can remember is about -5C, which we had on 2-3 occasions. The upper mountains has a large variation in overnight temperatures due to localised effects. I often see my overnight temperatures get to say -1 by 10pm and finish up and -2 by 7am. I am on a ridge top, so I assume that the really cold air slides into the valleys.

You expect Bathurst and Orange to get very low temperatures due to the hollow effect, as you mentioned. Katoomba is sitting on a ridge. I would be interested to hear from upper mountain locals on their localised overnight temperatures.

I'd also like to see what temperatures are recorded in the Megalong Valley.

Homer.

#1336846 - 29/07/2015 15:46 Re: Low Min Record for Katoomba [Re: ZanLaTion]
Eigerwand Offline
Weather Freak

Yeah for sure. I used to record the temperature down the bottom of the valley at the back of my place in Hazelbrook. It frequently got down to -5C on calm nights whilst it could be 2C up at the house. I'd imagine one could record some pretty impressive minima at say the northern end of Catalina race track. Any of those swampy hollows that are void of trees, and just made up of tussock grass/reeds make for some pretty impressive micro climates in terms of minima.
Still, -8.2C is an extremely cold reading in comparison to the other readings recorded at the official Katoomba site. Must have been a pretty unique set of conditions.

Who's Online
0 registered (), 47 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Today's Birthdays
MatthewBr, Raweth, Russellmill
Forum Stats
29947 Members
32 Forums
24194 Topics
1529247 Posts

Max Online: 2985 @ 26/01/2019 12:05
Satellite Image