Page 103 of 129 < 1 2 ... 101 102 103 104 105 ... 128 129 >
Topic Options
#1345888 - 01/11/2015 23:01 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Wantirna, Vic
Hi folks.

I haven't had much time to concentrate on the EQ's in the last couple of days, as I have been renovating my little art studio. But I'll add a few things here I thought you may be interested in.

It was brought to my attention by an EQ (follower) convert (by me smile ) today, that an EQ watcher/commentator on FB (who has been reporting on EQ's for many years and I didn't know of) has today put up a warning on his FB page for a "major quake" to hit the west coast of the U.S. in the next 7 days. See his page here.
I read that he feels that the current and previous activity in this vast region is brewing for a major quake for the U.S.. Will have to see if he is right and alot of his followers are very worried about this possibility. There are also some folks who are not that confident with his prediction. He seems to be very devoted to studying EQ activity and seems quite confident he may be correct with his feelings about the U.S. west coast.
I hope he is wrong for the local folks sake, but the activity recently and currently in that region of the U.S. (including some volcanic behaviours) has seemed slightly elevated, with even swarms of activity in various places. It wouldn't surprise me if the U.S. did go on to feel an M5+ at some point soon, as the tremor activity has also caught my 'eye'.

Anyway, The Mediterranean has continued to feel numerous tremors from Spain - over to the greater Turkey regions. The Adriatic Sea (countries bordering the northern side) has been quite active today.

The western Pacific is continuing to produce M5's and Japan has had quite a close succession of M5's around a fairly particular region near the centre of Japan.

New Zealand has felt a couple of reasonably sized quakes M5'ish. Most of their quakes have focused in the North Island in the last 6 or so days. I think this ties in with the activity in Fiji, Vanuatu and any movement between these islands and NZ. I actually feel that most of the activity in the western Pacific is related. There may be a chance of an M6 coming up in the western pacific region.

Chile has had a bit of a clustering of tremors, with a few near M5's coming up in fairly quick succession, just like Japan - and in a similar time-frame to Japan's cluster.

Easter Island is still feeling movement, so it's not just the peripherals (edges) of the Pacific Ocean which is being affected by energies.

The Indian Ocean has had an interesting run of quakes this week. This energy may continue on up the Indian Ocean and may even cause a tremor to pop up on the west coast of Australia. I could be wrong.

Some energy may filter, again, up into and over to Britain again, maybe in the English Channel or a country on its coastline.

I hope to be more in tune with quake activity in my next post wink

For the moment, Duck.

Edited by duckweather (01/11/2015 23:03)
Edit Reason: spelling again ;)

#1346029 - 03/11/2015 10:38 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
tsunami Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Wynnum SE Brisbane
Well read up on the Cascadia fault, lets hope that dosnt let go anytime soon

#1346035 - 03/11/2015 10:52 Re: Earthquakes [Re: tsunami]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi tsunami.

I get a feeling that there may be some energy which will tweek the region SW of Eureka (off the coast of west U.S.). I might be wrong, but I feel that some of the energy at the moment may be pushing up into this region. 21 hours ago there was an M4+ there and it seems to me that the energy gets snagged there on occasions when the regions south of there start coming up with quakes/tremors. Then it may further translate into the Canadian west coast (offshore) region of the complex of plates - thus including the Cascadia. But I could be wrong.
Looking at the movements in the western U.S. at the moment, it does feel like an M5 or M5+ may come up in one of the above mentioned regions (from offshore SW of Eureka and/or north of there). Will have to wait and see.

I also feel that there may be another M5'ish in the Pacific Islands and/or north of NZ somewhere and maybe Japan....?

The Aleutian island quakes and cluster have centred around a volcanic province.

May post some more later - have a cracking headache atm... crazy

Cheers, dopey Duck.

#1346056 - 03/11/2015 12:17 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
tsunami Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hello Duck

Well have done alot of reading on the Cascadia Fault since that post Duck.

It does appear that looking at the last 10,000 years and the fracture dates, the average is every 240 years, it is now upto 315 years so is well over due.

going by the size of any tsunami that is produced we may even need gumboots in eastern coastal towns in Australia.

if that guy you spoke about prediction is correct (within 7 days)things wont be good.

#1346105 - 03/11/2015 16:35 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
BIG T Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Albany Creek , QLD
well if cascadia lets go , i hope it can hang on until jan 2017 , as i am driving the coast from LA to Portland in December 16 and i dont want to be there when that happens, wont be ground high enough.

#1346191 - 03/11/2015 20:26 Re: Earthquakes [Re: BIG T]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi BIG T and tsunami and all.

The Cascadia region has had some larger quakes over the past years. Letting off 'steam' with the odd M6 at times. There is no guarantee that in the immediate future there will be the 'mother' quake (M8 and above) as no one can really predict that with any absolute certainty. If we avoid travels to these regions in the short term because of a fear of a disastrous quake occurring, we may miss (like you BIG T) a wonderful part of our lives venturing out into some beautiful places.

With the activity on the west coasts of the U.S. and some energy creeping into the Cascadia zones, there may (and I say may) be a chance of some decent movement in the Cascadia region (maybe another M5'ish), but the 'big one' happening is anyone's guess. It could be in the near term or in any date in the future (10 weeks, 10 months, 10 years?).

My theory is this.....if a clustering or a scattering of quakes starts a run in the Cascadia region, there may be an outside chance of a M5+, or the energy may die off. Maybe if the quakes of a substantial size (M5+) occur just south of the Canada (offshore) west coast border with the U.S. (let's say west of Washington), then we may reasonably presume that the complex plate system west of Canada could also be 'upset' with such movement.

I, for one, won't predict large (M6++) quakes for any region, even if I thought there may be enough energy showing up to possibly produce one, because I don't want to be a fear-monger, and worse still - if I did blurt out a warning for what I thought was a very big quake going to happen and I was wrong - I would feel very silly and guilty for upsetting people unnecessarily.

Sometimes the energy producing some clustering quakes/tremors can look like they are the precursors to a very large quake - but turn out not to. Sometimes a very large quake can take many by surprise in a region we don't 'see coming'.

Sometimes when we see energies producing menacing (teasing) looking small to moderate quakes in broad clusters, it can be easy to think that that energy will translate to a neighboring region. For example, the western U.S. is experiencing quite a few M3's and above at the moment (a bit more than usual). It could be presumed that this energy may be a sign that an 'obvious' immediate location or an immediate neighboring state may go on to have a large quake (which there is a percentage of a chance to happen). But...this energy (in my mind's eye sometimes) bypasses that immediate region and 'travels' further on to another region - again for example to the Gulf of Alaska - with the larger quake we may be anticipating for a U.S. neighbouring state/region (because of some very obvious quake activity) may not happen.
Remember here folks, that my example above is just an example and not a forecast for those regions

Sometimes, there may be a focus on one region for what looks like a potential for large EQ activity, but a completely 'opposite' location turns out to be the region for a large quake. For example here - whilst one may be 'watching' California for the 'biggy' - a large quake can suddenly occur in the Solomom's or Turkey or NE Indian Ocean somewhere.
Remember again folks - the words in this last paragraph are not predictions for those regions - just examples for this conversation

The Pacific, at the moment, is throwing around some interesting energy. With what I am observing at the moment, I feel that there may be a good chance of an M6 coming up in the mix. If there is to be a bigger quake somewhere in the short term, I'm not too sure where that would be -but at the moment my tendency is to think that the western side of the Pacific may be the 'one' to show up with a larger quake soon. But, as I always say, I could be wrong folks and please take everything I natter on about here with a pinch-of-salt. wink

Australia still has some energy lurking - with the latest quakes coming up in NT and WA.

For the moment, Duck.

#1346218 - 03/11/2015 22:08 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi folks (2nd post today)

Just felt a tremor here - M2? will see what Geosceince makes of it.....May have been a small near one or another (M3?) in the ranges north, east or ?

Duck.

#1346452 - 05/11/2015 10:13 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi folks.

That movement I felt here in Wantirna the other night hasn't come up on the Geoscience website. It could have been related to a pre-movement of the M6+ in Indonesia, just north of the Northern Territory? It could also have been a local tremor to here. So, I am not sure where it came from at the moment. It felt like a deep vibration with an associated hum/groan. If it was local, I would have said it was below an M2 and possibly an M1 - but I may never know if Geoscience hasn't recorded anything.

The U.S. in the west and over to the east (including Virginia and Oklahoma) are still feeling some movements, currently not in the higher magnitudes (M4's up). Never the less, there is still some generalized movement along the greater craton regions (western side), which has been recognized in the media/scientists in the U.S.. This may set off a couple of M4+'s in a couple of places as it irritates some potentially vulnerable fault lines.

The energies, as I felt may occur, are still creeping up into the offshore west coast of Canada - that Cascadia region. I still feel that this may yet translate into the Gulf of Alaska....but will have to wait and see.

The western side of South America is still irritated, with tremors coming up nearly all down the west coast. This is quite a spread of energies and it may be that a location along the coast or offshore may feel an M5(+?) in the near future.

Central America is being irritated (coming up with quakes) intermittently and may come up with another M4+ in the near term. Included in this 'movement' are the travelling pressures through to the Caribbean. Panama, Costa Rica or somewhere towards Mexico City may go on to feel an M4'ish.....?
The Gulf od California may have a chance of coming up with an M4+ if the drive of energy carries on in the southern end of California and near the southern end of Central America (or the middle).

The region (waterways) associated with the Gulf of St. Lawrence (Canada/U.S. border) is still active. There is also energy causing tremors in some spots just to the north and just to the south of this fault line/waterway. (Note: I call it a fault line - as I personally believe the waterway is part of a fault system).

The African continent/plate seems to be pushing in a spurt again into the Mediterranean sea. The north of Algeria and into the Ionian Sea and surrounding coastlines of the countries there, are feeling tremors. Over to the eastern side of the Mediterranean, the tremors there may be involved with the energy I have just mentioned and the plates surrounding the Saudi Peninsula.

NZ may come up with a couple or one M5.
Australia may have a couple more tremors since the occurrence of all the quakes north of our continent.

There are always more regions to natter on about, but I may get time later to do so.

For now, Duck.

Edited by duckweather (05/11/2015 10:14)
Edit Reason: spelling again

#1347509 - 08/11/2015 22:30 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi folks.

Yet again the days have flown since my last post. Had the joys of a fridge (fairly new) burning out and taking out the power in the house, before I learnt it was the fridge I thought our possum had mangled the electrics in the roof. He lives to see another day, but no fridge is no fun.

Anyway, There was a fairly short period of time in the last 24 hours or so, where there was a flurry of quakes and tremors coming up dotted around the planet. This almost looked like a global tick.

The western Pacific region, including Indonesia and around into the NE Indian Ocean (running along the edge of the main plates above Australia and into the Nicobar Islands (India) region is very active at the moment. There may be a chance of an M5(+) coming up even further into the Bay of Bengal or into the regions surrounding it.

So far, the west coast of the U.S. hasn't come up with a larger quake (California regions), which another quake watcher was warning for - which is good for the folks there and hope doesn't happen. The Cascadia region (off Canada's western shores) has been niggling recently with tremors, but has gone quiet for now. It's silence though has me wondering if an M4'ish may pop up in the short term though.

The Andreanof region in Alaska has just had another M5+, which shows that there is still some either after=movement going on there or an outside chance of a new run of tremors relating to the last larger quakes within the region.

Victoria came up with a tremor near Meredith (WSW of Melbourne) which was a rather unusual location in the history of Victoria's quakes/tremors.

Hawaii may come up with an M3 or M3+.

Japan may come up with an M5.

An unusually located tremor (small?) may come up in Australia.

The Himalayas, near Nepal, may niggle with another M5'ish.

The larger quake in Chile yesterday didn't surprise me at all. They were having a run (cluster) of tremors which had me feeling that another moderately larger quake may occur there.

For now, Duck.

#1347679 - 10/11/2015 05:00 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
Gabby Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Yarrawonga/Mulwala on the Murr...
Hi Duck
It seems you are on your lonesome at the moment. Keep up the good work I enjoy reading your comments on earthquakes that have been and those that might present in the future.

#1347690 - 10/11/2015 08:04 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Gabby]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi Gabby.

Thanks for that. I'm not really alone here wink. Some of the folks post along with me here on occasions , which is great - as I don't want to feel like a thread hog, but I also see that there are alot of views every day on the EQ thread too - so I know I am not alone cool
Just wish I could do this full time and be more accurate and informative for the folks who do follow and read this thread.

Vic had a sneaky small tremor along the Mornington Peninsula late yesterday, which is across from the Bay from the M2.2 on the 7th November (2015).

I will catch up with some more EQ happenings later.

Cheers for now, Duck.

#1347952 - 11/11/2015 20:44 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
Mr Buzle Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Lake Macquarie NSW
Hey Duck I still read your posts regularly and appreciate the time you take to share your thoughts. Please keep it up!
I have a bookmark to the USGS site you once shared and check it several times a day. Thought I might mention the run of mid to large size quakes Chile are having at the moment. What do you make of it?

#1347973 - 11/11/2015 22:18 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
logansi Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Portland, Southwest - Victoria
Read all your posts Duck - learning stuff for you so its awesome and keep it up

#1347983 - 11/11/2015 23:12 Re: Earthquakes [Re: logansi]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi Mr Buzle and logansi.
Thankyou for your lovely words, they are very much appreciated smile

Finally got a chance to natter on tonight here.

Those multiple quakes (which obviously include the biggies) in Chile is, as I mentioned in my last post, not surprising. There have been a number of smaller quakes (a bit of a cluster) which had me quietly feeling that another larger quake was brewing. It looked like a fairly focused and ongoing instability in that region. Not too far from there, another quake on the central East Pacific Rise (about 4000kms WNW of the Chile quakes) came up today, which I will say is married into the energy causing the quakes in Chile.
There was a small tsunami produced by the first larger quake in Chile (I believe), but only enough to raise the wave height by some centimetres. The 'official' reports were stating there was no tsunami warning to be issued, but the first quake did produce a small one and for folks to be careful at the beaches facing out to the west......

Central America (west coast) and/or the north/western reaches of South America may come up with some more quakes (M4+).
Maybe near Peru or Ecuador could also come up with a movement/s.

In the last 7 days, most of the larger quake activity (M5 and over) has been in the western side of the Pacific - including west through Indonesia and right around to near Banda Aceh (in the NE of the Indian Ocean) and New Zealand regions....
These vast regions were where I was suspecting most of the larger movements would occur. Chile being the other region I was suspecting. I suspected the Gulf of Alaska may have been the location for a potential M6, but an M6+ came up further to the west - along the Alaskan Aleutian Islands, near Atka.

Japan is still on my 'radar' at the moment, and hopefully this only means a suspicion of a potential of an M5 or less - and nothing more substantial.

The U.S. west coast and the Canadian west coast have been niggling with some small tremors. Oklahoma has had a run on with tremors again, and some other states nearby have had tremors too. Nebraska came up with an M3.2 yesterday (our time), which I thought was a moderately unusual occurrence for this state.

There may a kick-off of quakes coming up along some of the main ridges/plate edges - for example - the Atlantic Ridge, the Antarctic Ridge and the Indian Ocean.....but I could be wrong about what I perhaps see as a dispersing of some of the energy from Chile and the Western Pacific regions.

The South Sandwich Island region may come up with another quake.

The Mediterranean or Middle East may come with an M5+.

Australia, I feel, may not be out of the woods for another couple of tremors.

There are always other regions which come up with quakes/tremors on a daily basis but I don't chat about them all unfortunately. Sometimes to do so just has me end up typing a humongous post. As for what I do gabble on about - remember - take what I say with a 'pinch-of-salt' folks.

So for now, Duck. wink

#1348327 - 14/11/2015 10:15 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
tsunami Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi duck
Appears old mate was wrong as the cascadia fault has behaved.so far and hopefully stays that way.
Japan has had a good rattle

#1348348 - 14/11/2015 11:56 Re: Earthquakes [Re: tsunami]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi tsunami and all.

Regarding the Cascadia, I have had the feeling that it was only going to be niggled by the larger quakes and activity elsewhere in the Pacific. Irritation along the California coast (M2's and M3's) could carry on through to the Cascadia, possibly causing equally small irritations there. The energy causing the larger quakes in Alaska (Aleutian Islands) and the larger quakes in Chile may have been focal points in the Pacific for the recent energy (causing the larger quakes). The California coastal regions and that of Cascadia (west of Canada) may have been like a passing-through point for that larger energy/quake causing activity.
If the larger energy, which produces the bigger quakes, gets snagged on the lower Cascadia (actually offshore SW of Eureka on the west coast of the U.S., which could produce an M4+, this is what I would feel would possibly be the driving energy which could cause the Cascadia's to move in the future.

I generally feel that the California regions, particularly the southern regions, are influenced to move by energy coming from the south'ish, This could be an example of the Gulf of California - if it decided to throw up an M4+ somewhere in this vast region, this could combine (or be the isolated energy) with some energy from the eastern side of the Pacific, to get up a run of quakes into California. Remembering that the San Andreas is parallel to the coast of the U.S., this an its sister faults can be irritated by the above mentioned energy to possibly move.

I feel that Central America's quakes (upper region of Central America) are influenced by any energies flowing around the Gulf of California, the San Andreas (and her sister faults) and possibly some energies that filter in from the SE of the Pacific Ocean plates/trenches.

I feel that the lower regions of Central America, including the passage leading into Caribbean regions (including the NE and north countries of South America) is influenced possibly by the energy in South America (along the west coast) and some coming in from the SE side of the Pacific Ocean.

I feel there is a large fault running through cities/countries such as Ecuador (inland from the coast) -> Colombia -> San Cristobal (Venezuela) -> Caracas (Venezuela) -> just north of Trinidad and Tobago -> through Granada, Barbados, Dominica, Antigua and around to Puerto Rico, Dominican Republic and Haiti.

I feel that the Chile quakes are influenced from energy coming in from the Pacific, pushing into the inland mountain ranges.

This just a brief description of what I feel are the energy sources/influences of the quakes in the above-mentioned regions. There is more to these scenarios and energy sources, but this post would end up book length wink

In my last post, I mentioned that Japan was on my 'radar' and they have come up with an M6.7 at a fairly shallow approx. 10 kms deep. I had a very strong feeling this was going to happen. My 'mind's-eye' was seeing current energy points in the Pacific being between/including Alaska (Aleutians), Chile and Japan. The 'pivotal- point' I have referred to in the past near Fiji, Tonga, Samoa etc., seems to me to be like a hinge in the Pacific.

Some of this energy was translating to countries north, NW and NE of the Australian mainland, with a majority of the energy causing those quakes being influence by energy moving north with the Australian Plate.

There is so much more I'd like to write about here, but I don't have the time at the moment unfortunately.

Take all I say with a pinch-of-salt - my observations may be incorrect.

Prayers and thoughts for the folks in France.

For now, Duck.

#1348726 - 15/11/2015 20:26 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi folks.

Below is a very interesting YT video. The information in the video is worth looking at and listening to. It is a long video, but worth the watch. I can't remember if I have shown you all this video before, but I'll put it in this post (again?). There is a good amount of information on Japan's quake activity (history and geological behaviours), New Zealand and the U.S, for example.

Just briefly for the moment;

- Victoria (Aus) is experiencing some very small jitters in a couple of seismo's here. This may (or may not) indicate some very subtle ongoing minor movement regarding our latest tremors. It may (outside chance) indicate another tremor may occur.
- NSW has been feeling a few tremors in the last week, which is quite a run in a fairly short period of time - 4 tremors all up so far. Geoscience has 3 of the tremors pegged at 0kms deep (interestingly shallow) and one at 10kms deep. I wonder if there is some sort of chance of another tremor or an M3+?? We will see....
- In the last 7 days all of Australia's (registered by Geoscience) has been in the lower SE of the country (Vic and NSW). But I think that South Australia is slightly moving again and they may have had a small tremor today and may be due for another one.
- I keep getting drawn (mind's-eye) to Bass Strait and/or the lower Tasman Sea.....??
- There is still alot of EQ activity along the Indonesian coast lines (various locations), which may go on to influence another tremor near or on the northern coast and the northern half of the west coast of our continent....??

For now, Duck.

Edited by duckweather (15/11/2015 20:27)
Edit Reason: spelling again ;)

#1349123 - 17/11/2015 20:11 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
tsunami Offline
Weatherzone Addict

well all quiet at the mo lets hope its not an onimous sign

#1349129 - 17/11/2015 20:31 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
perrywinkle Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Warrawee Valley
The NSW tremors have been in general locations where quakes have been recorded historically. The Riverina tremor is interesting... the Echuca area had historic quakes which are recorded in newspapers, and the Barmah Forest is actually in a "puddle" created by uplifting of the Barmah Fault, to the west of the forest, which retains flood waters from the Murray River.

#1349130 - 17/11/2015 20:32 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
ColdFront Offline
Meteorological Motor Mouth

Loc: Wide Bay..Near the beach
6.7 just reported off Greece.

Page 103 of 129 < 1 2 ... 101 102 103 104 105 ... 128 129 >

Who's Online
8 registered (Mad Elf #1.5, Steve777, ozone doug, KomonStan, Kino, Hailin, RC, 1 invisible), 287 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Today's Birthdays
CraigA74, Ken, Maarten Brandt, wing tip vortex
Forum Stats
29370 Members
32 Forums
23685 Topics
1462371 Posts

Max Online: 2925 @ 02/02/2011 22:23
Satellite Image