NOTICE!

The Weatherzone forum has now closed and is in read-only mode until the 1st of November when it will close permanently. We would like to thank everyone who has contributed over the past 18 years.

If you would like to continue the discussion you can follow us on Facebook and Twitter or participate in discussions at AusWeather or Ski.com.au forums.

Page 655 of 1434 < 1 2 ... 653 654 655 656 657 ... 1433 1434 >
Topic Options
#806601 - 17/12/2009 23:40 Re: South Australian and Adelaide day to day forecasting [Re: dcon]
teckert Offline
Weatherzone Moderator

Loc: NE suburbs, Adelaide, South Au...
hrmmm thats quite interesting. I just recall the event.
Interesting that Vance did only take 48 hours from the time it crossed Exmouth to when it was just off Ceduna.

Edited by teckert (17/12/2009 23:52)

#806620 - 18/12/2009 00:03 Re: South Australian and Adelaide day to day forecasting [Re: teckert]
_Chris_ Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Marleston
On the hypothetical, if it did find its way this far south, and it still had sustained winds between 6387 km/h, would it still be classified a tropical cyclone? Or would it be an Ex-tropical cyclone?

#806633 - 18/12/2009 00:43 Re: South Australian and Adelaide day to day forecasting [Re: _Chris_]
_Sarah_ Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Salisbury North SA
That is amazing I hope it pulls off, I'm dieing to reach 500mm for the year grin

#806648 - 18/12/2009 04:10 Re: South Australian and Adelaide day to day forecasting [Re: _Sarah_]
Skysthelimit Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Gladstone Sth Aust
Looks like I was one day late getting home from the Top End and missed the action down south, although it was a little light on in my particular neck of the woods anyway. I did have some luck though. I had a fair idea that once we flew below Alice we had a good chance of meeting some storm action so I made darn sure I booked a window seat. Imagine my disdain when I boarded and found some guy happily planted in MY seat. In a fit of rage I knocked him unconscious and then buckled him in the seat he should have been in in the first place.
I was right with my prediction too as once we were back in good 'ol South Aussie I was treated to a wonderful display of lightning illuminating clusters of cells that were scattered all around. I've never been privileged to see that spectacle before and I wont forget it. I loved watching the cells like cotton balls reaching upward as the dawn light changed them to pinks and oranges (no I dont mean edible oranges)!
Anyway its good to be home again. Theres no place like home and theres no home like Mid North SA!
One more thing, we often talk how Christmas day is looking bland weatherwise. Personally I would rather it were warmer than cooler as my father in law feeds me his home brewed beer. But imagine if we had an absolute belter of a storm brewing Christmas day. It would be wasted as far as chasing goes as how many of us could manage it with all the family committments the day brings. Not to mention, as I just did, those of us who like a drink or three! ....or in Hillsrain's case four........or TH's five......... crazy crazy crazy crazy crazy

#806653 - 18/12/2009 05:53 Re: South Australian and Adelaide day to day forecasting [Re: Skysthelimit]
Thunderstruck Offline
Lightning man

Loc: Seaford Meadows, SA
Glad you enjoyed your time up here....knocking someone unconcsious?! you're kidding right lol?

Ok I'll add to Tims comment re cyclone Laurence. I went through the eye of the tropical low that was ALMOST a cat 1 as it went over Darwin last weekend. It would be extraordinary if I was again cop the centre of the low (ex-Laurence) when I visit Adelaide from 24-28th. Be one in a million! Every visit has brought a storm, last visit gave some nice high based bolts!

TS cool

#806661 - 18/12/2009 07:09 Re: South Australian and Adelaide day to day forecasting [Re: Thunderstruck]
Skysthelimit Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Gladstone Sth Aust
[quote=Thunderstruck]Glad you enjoyed your time up here....knocking someone unconcsious?! you're kidding right lol?

Thats what he thought too!!!
Haha. Its oK TS. You see I'm a pacifist.....and I'll thump anyone who says otherwise! mad

Im sure we'd all be happy down here if there was to be a Laurence/Rowland reunion and yeah that would be one for the books! shocked

#806692 - 18/12/2009 09:46 Re: South Australian and Adelaide day to day forecasting [Re: Skysthelimit]
seaworthy Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Gawler East, SA - 102m
I'm only thinking out loud but I guess the fact that the steering winds in the tropics are usually pretty slack is the reason why an ex-TC can move a lot faster once it reaches more southerly latitudes. Christmas day itself looks dry and fine unfortunately but may be a storm in the far north.

#806695 - 18/12/2009 10:00 Re: South Australian and Adelaide day to day forecasting [Re: seaworthy]
Helen Offline

Loc: Mid North, SA
Have to agree with Ben's analysis of Chrissy Day... nice day with some light to moderate E-SE winds... at this stage. wink Speaking of further out predictions... at this point in time GFS is pointing to a rather hot day to bring in the New Year.

Back to the present and it got down to a glorious 4.9C here this morning... magic on the senses, a bit rough on the earache... but certainly worth the pain though. smile
Sept - - (48mm) / Oct - - (38mm) / Nov - - (23mm) / Dec - - (18mm)

#806728 - 18/12/2009 12:37 Re: South Australian and Adelaide day to day forecasting [Re: Helen]
Weathergod Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Williamstown SA.
Well looks like my birthday on the 27th might be good for some ex-Cyclone activity. If this pulls off it's the first time it's rained on my birthday in my short 18 year history smile but yes, there's every chance the remains from the cyclone don't reach Adelaide out all, maybe just piddly light rain periods. But looks darn interesting. Bring it on I say! A huge rain event on my birthday would top it off after cake, drinks, and friends coming over poke.

Yer Christmas looks not too bad, Chrissy eve still looks a bit wet, but hopefully the cloud clears for a nice sunny day on the 25th.

My prediction is fine, Partly cloudy morning, clearing to a sunny afternoon Max: 25 Min: 14.

#806741 - 18/12/2009 14:12 Re: South Australian and Adelaide day to day forecasting [Re: Weathergod]
seaworthy Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Gawler East, SA - 102m
That forecast is awfully similar to the weatherzone forecast Mason poke

#806831 - 18/12/2009 19:55 Re: South Australian and Adelaide day to day forecasting [Re: seaworthy]
ThD Ht Offline
Weatherzone ratbag

Loc: Reynella, S.A.
.....ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ..**POP**.......HUH?.......
HOOS DERE?....**SNPFBBT!!**.....ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ.....

TH
雷自殺的瘋狂獵人和白色
指關節猛衝與球的追趕者
*̡͌l̡*̡̡ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡π̲̲͡͡ ̲̲͡▫̲̲͡͡ ̲|̡̡̡ ̡ ̴̡ı̴̡̡ *̡͌l̡*

#806990 - 19/12/2009 07:07 Re: South Australian and Adelaide day to day forecasting [Re: ThD Ht]
ThD Ht Offline
Weatherzone ratbag

if gfs keeps drifting the way it is atm adelaide
for chrissy day will be looking at low to mid 30s.
forecast for here atm is 27

EDIT:-
WTF???!!!, 6:37am and there's lightning strikes
going off around tailem bend and lameroo, gpats
confirms, what the hell is going on up there?

TH
雷自殺的瘋狂獵人和白色
指關節猛衝與球的追趕者

#807022 - 19/12/2009 09:22 Re: South Australian and Adelaide day to day forecasting [Re: ThD Ht]
aztech. Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Port Lincoln, Eyre Peninsula
hey TH! nice pickup, I have usually found that those random strikes are usually just pieces of electric sky lettuce

#807070 - 19/12/2009 11:55 Re: South Australian and Adelaide day to day forecasting [Re: aztech.]
Robbie84 Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Kalangadoo,South Australia
Im starting to like the christmas day forecast for the LSE with a forecasted temp of 25 and mostly cloudy but now lets start our predictions for New Years Eve & Day

The winner who has the closest or spot on prediction wins a storm chase with Thunda Hunta on one of his whiteknuckle chases during summer but make sure you bring spare diapers poke laugh

#807078 - 19/12/2009 12:19 Re: South Australian and Adelaide day to day forecasting [Re: aztech.]
ThD Ht Offline
Weatherzone ratbag

Originally Posted By: aztech.
hey TH! nice pickup, I have usually found that those random strikes are usually just pieces of electric sky lettuce

electric sky lettuce?..........i like that.
if that's the case lettuce at it.
random? the odd one or two here and there maybe
but there was too much going on to be spurious
anomalies imo.

lucky it didn't happen down around the mount i
woulda' pooped meself thinking it might be a
precursor to a major earthquake or volcanic
eruption.
maybe some smartarse wrapped the water tower
across the river from tailem bend with alfoil
and turned it into the mother of all van-de-graff
generators.

TH
雷自殺的瘋狂獵人和白色
指關節猛衝與球的追趕者

#807084 - 19/12/2009 12:27 Re: South Australian and Adelaide day to day forecasting [Re: Robbie84]
ThD Ht Offline
Weatherzone ratbag

Originally Posted By: rstewart84
Im starting to like the christmas
day forecast for the LSE with a forecasted temp of 25
and mostly cloudy but now lets start our predictions
for New Years Eve & Day

The winner who has the closest or spot on prediction
wins a storm chase with Thunda Hunta on one of his
whiteknuckle chases during summer but make sure you
bring spare diapers poke laugh

why do i get the feeling i'm being railroaded
and the winner is being shanghaied. poke
i've had quite a few people come with me on
various chases and no one has ever come back
for round 2, i wonder why that is?......think
about it trendsetters.

the weather for christmas day is looking so
perfect it's making me wanna puke.

TH
雷自殺的瘋狂獵人和白色
指關節猛衝與球的追趕者

#807087 - 19/12/2009 12:38 Re: South Australian and Adelaide day to day forecasting [Re: ThD Ht]
Robbie84 Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Kalangadoo,South Australia
What makes you thing you're being railroaded TH its a great prize just as long as they have the stomach and nerves of steel for it

I wouldnt mind New Years being stinking hot with a late afternoon or evening thunderstorm just to make things interesting just as long as im not stuck mowing lawns in the heat like i was on Wednesday

Edited by rstewart84 (19/12/2009 12:41)

#807112 - 19/12/2009 14:10 Re: South Australian and Adelaide day to day forecasting [Re: Thunderstruck]
Unstable Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Adelaide
Helen I hope your ear pain gets better soon smile
My diagnosis of likely cause : the prolonged roar of about five thousand motor bikes. I'm prescribing Rocket the Clydesdale for your storm chasing for the next three months and we'll see how you are then poke

"i've had quite a few people come with me on
for round 2, i wonder why that is?"
You sure you brought them back from the chases TH? - maybe they're still out there somewhere hiding in the scrub frown

#807193 - 19/12/2009 16:36 Re: South Australian and Adelaide day to day forecasting [Re: Unstable]
ThD Ht Offline
Weatherzone ratbag

Originally Posted By: Unstable

"i've had quite a few people come with me on
for round 2, i wonder why that is?"
You sure you brought them back from the chases TH? - maybe they're still out there somewhere hiding in the scrub frown

HUH???!!!....bloody hell, come to think of it,
i always have come back alone. crazy

RS, did you work out who it was that tapped
you on the shoulder and said g'day in front
of k-mart last thursday morning?

TH
雷自殺的瘋狂獵人和白色
指關節猛衝與球的追趕者

#807217 - 19/12/2009 17:19 Re: South Australian and Adelaide day to day forecasting [Re: ThD Ht]
teckert Offline
Weatherzone Moderator

Loc: NE suburbs, Adelaide, South Au...
Originally Posted By: ThD Ht

RS, did you work out who it was that tapped
you on the shoulder and said g'day in front
of k-mart last thursday morning?

ooh, ooh... can I guess?? poke

seriously what is GFS on? Now it has ex-TC Laurence over northern SA on XMas Day!!!
In fact Boxing Day is looking quite wet for us as a result...
But based on how GFS is going & how that cyclone is going I wouldnt be forecasting anything longer than 2 days out atm.... poke

Page 655 of 1434 < 1 2 ... 653 654 655 656 657 ... 1433 1434 >

Moderator:  Helen, Lindsay Knowles, Markus, teckert 
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 45 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Today's Birthdays
Ansgar Berling, Instability, Krightlane, lynkim1
Forum Stats
29947 Members
32 Forums
24194 Topics
1529243 Posts

Max Online: 2985 @ 26/01/2019 12:05
Satellite Image