Page 179 of 266 < 1 2 ... 177 178 179 180 181 ... 265 266 >
Topic Options
#1396759 - 10/12/2016 13:42 Re: Australian Politics [Re: ozone doug]
ColdFront Offline
Meteorological Motor Mouth

Loc: Wide Bay..Near the beach
Originally Posted By: ozone doug
Fix the tax on big company's they will just close up shop and go over seas.

That's the excuse they are using anyway. It's an unknown.

#1396776 - 10/12/2016 16:55 Re: Australian Politics [Re: ColdFront]
ozone doug Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Roma SW QLD Eye to the West...
The art of business, Qantas millions in dept pay no tax still running ,How does a company run loss year after year and still run .I know i am not good at math lol.
http://www.abc.net.au/triplej/programs/h...es-show/7038232

#1396795 - 10/12/2016 20:06 Re: Australian Politics [Re: ozthunder]
Brett Guy Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Bently Park, Cairns
Originally Posted By: ozthunder
Fix the tax on big company's they will just close up shop and go over seas. The amount they owe is shocking.

I think we all agree here.

Personally I believe that tax avoidance by multinational companies, and the growth of those companies over the last few decades has led to revenue issues for governments.

Unfortunately due to their ideology commitment to "trickle down" the situation has been let happen, or even encouraged.

The consequence is that the PAYE middle and working class are now the 'cash cow' that carries revenue, while the poor are demonised.

The actual way to boost the economy is to give more spending $$ to the middle and working class, but that is NOT trickle down.

Not sure hiw that works. If the reason nothing has been done about tax loopholes is that those in control love trickle down economics then why did nothing happen last time labour were in power? This isn't a new problem. Evryone has avoided cracking down on it.

#1396799 - 10/12/2016 20:37 Re: Australian Politics [Re: ozone doug]
bundybear Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Between Bundy and Gladstone
Fix the tax on big company's they will just close up shop and go over seas. The amount they owe is shocking.

I am sure if the govt was serious about cracking down it wouldn't be too hard.

Rule 1. Any company that does not pay tax in Australia at the appropriate rate can no longer trade here. Nor can it's subsidary companies. Product imported from their companies is subject to a 25% sales tax. I doubt companies like Apple would be happy to forgo every Australian sale just to avoid tax. Imagine if you could not buy your new Apple phone or accessories through your phone company unless the sales tax has been paid. Yes, there would still be people shopping offshore to buy their product but there are plenty of companies that are paying no tax.

Qantas might not like to be locked out of the Australian market. I am pretty sure those mining companies would like to keep digging resources out here. And so on.

Just need a govt with guts to take them on instead of just taxing the people.

#1396800 - 10/12/2016 20:47 Re: Australian Politics [Re: ColdFront]
Steve777 Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Artarmon (Sydney North Shore)
If multinational companies don't want to pay Australian tax and especially if they don't want to employ Australian workers, pay Australian wages and adhere to Australian fair work conditions and practices they can bugger off. Not wanted here. Why should we grovel to them.

Edited by Steve777 (10/12/2016 20:48)
Edit Reason: Clarification

#1396822 - 11/12/2016 09:39 Re: Australian Politics [Re: bundybear]
ColdFront Offline

Originally Posted By: bundybear

I am sure if the govt was serious about cracking down it wouldn't be too hard.

Rule 1. Any company that does not pay tax in Australia at the appropriate rate can no longer trade here. Nor can it's subsidary companies. Product imported from their companies is subject to a 25% sales tax. I doubt companies like Apple would be happy to forgo every Australian sale just to avoid tax. Imagine if you could not buy your new Apple phone or accessories through your phone company unless the sales tax has been paid. Yes, there would still be people shopping offshore to buy their product but there are plenty of companies that are paying no tax.

Qantas might not like to be locked out of the Australian market. I am pretty sure those mining companies would like to keep digging resources out here. And so on.

Just need a govt with guts to take them on instead of just taxing the people.

Exactly.

#1396823 - 11/12/2016 09:56 Re: Australian Politics [Re: ColdFront]
ColdFront Offline

The thing is that when Apple's sales v's the minuscule number of people they employ in this country is weighed up they are shafting the system. Virgin would happily take up qantas' space also but when our government is outsourcing tax department call centres offshore there is little chance of change.

#1396831 - 11/12/2016 11:05 Re: Australian Politics [Re: ColdFront]
Wild Wassa Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: NW ACT
Some good news.

The largest corporate coop ever devised, the TPP, is basically dead. Many are giving the credit for the defeat of the Trans Pacific Partnership to Trump. Fighting the TPP was done by the endless and tireless work of activists for the last four years. The activists have brought about, the TPP's demise.

I'm guessing that most Australians think that the TPP was only about lowering tariffs, and increasing trade. But it was the other 5,000 pages of the agreement that our Federal government deliberately avoided mentioning, those that were written by 605 corporate advisors that would have allowed corporations to have greater rights in decision making, than both the our Federal and State Governments, all at the expense of the Australian people's welfare.

The TPP would have allowed corporations to sue both our Federal and State Government for their future failed earnings and loss of profits, similar, to how Canada is now the most sued Nation on earth, thanks to attempting to protect their resources, environment and people, rather than giving in to the corporations under NAFTA's rules.

The web site flushthetpp.org has a great photo of a giant balloon called 'Free Trade My Ass'. The TPP certainly had a smell about it.

When the New Zealand Trade Minister was declaring a successful TPP Trade agreement a protester hit him in the face with a large rubber dildo. Maybe we could borrow the dildo for use over here and give the Coalition, those corporate shills, the clap that they deserve.

Warren.

Edited by Wild Wassa (11/12/2016 11:13)

#1396832 - 11/12/2016 11:08 Re: Australian Politics [Re: ColdFront]
bundybear Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Between Bundy and Gladstone
Originally Posted By: ColdFront
The thing is that when Apple's sales v's the minuscule number of people they employ in this country is weighed up they are shafting the system. Virgin would happily take up qantas' space also but when our government is outsourcing tax department call centres offshore there is little chance of change.

A serious govt would be overhauling the system.

You try telling the govt that you paid your wife $25 an hour to dig up your back yard, plant some pumpkin seeds, water the crop daily for 2 months. Then the possums raided it and you only made $25 selling the produce that was left. That leaves you with a $12 000 deduction on your income. Watch them laugh and tell you that this is not a serious income producing plan, you were a hobby farmer at best, and they are taxing you at the full rate.

Yet companies can move income from an income producing company off shore to a low taxing country with no penalty.

Another example of the hit the income earner is their plan to charge us a gst on products we might buy overseas because they are cheaper yet a company such as Apple can pay their own company as much as they want and claim it as sales from the low tax country to their Australian counterpart. Should they not be paying the GST here?

It is our govt that has written the rules that allow them to legally pay no tax and it is our govt that should be fixing it. Not rewrite them to prevent the little people being able to save a dollar to prop up the non tax paying big fellas.

#1396851 - 11/12/2016 16:47 Re: Australian Politics [Re: ColdFront]
ColdFront Offline

Tony Abbott won't be happy about the TTP going to pot.

#1396867 - 11/12/2016 20:24 Re: Australian Politics [Re: ColdFront]
Brett Guy Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Govt after govt have over the last 25years sold us out to the globalist ideology. And now we are suffering the consequences. The only way it will change is to go back to being somewhat more protectionist/nationalist. Ironically enough many who are complaining about tax evaision by multinationals are also the ones who say nationalism is bad. That is the challenge. How to deal with diametrically opposed ideals.

#1396911 - 12/12/2016 10:16 Re: Australian Politics [Re: ColdFront]
slipperyfish Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: South Mission Beach QLD
It wasn't only governments. The general public didn't seem to question when they were getting cheap crap from China. The public didn't seem to mind that family businesses were hitting the wall at disturbing rates, and manufacturing was in a death spin.

It was only the other day I had some foolish 25 year old uni student tell me that I should embrace automation, as it was the only way we will be able to compete with cheaper Asian products. I ask this idiot what he was going to do for a job. He looked at me like I had two heads. These are the fools that we are going to have to rely on for our future. Didn't install me with much faith.

Globalisation is the dream of billionaires. Why do you think the establishment is now panicking about Trump. He is on the verge of wrecking their party. Globalisation makes richer people richer and poorer people poorer. The gap has never been so wide since we embraced Globalisation.

Ask yourself a question, how much is a dollar worth? Most of you will say a dollar, but that is incorrect. A dollar spent on the Amazon website will cost you a dollar. That dollar will disappear forever, never to be recycled in our economy. If you spent that dollar on an Australian website, that dollar may be worth ten dollars or maybe more. This is because it is infinitely recycled within our economy, helping to employ people, taxed to help with services and infrastructure, and even maybe ending up in some kids piggy bank.

How much is a dollar worth?

#1396915 - 12/12/2016 10:46 Re: Australian Politics [Re: slipperyfish]
Brett Guy Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Originally Posted By: slipperyfish
It wasn't only governments. The general public didn't seem to question when they were getting cheap crap from China. The public didn't seem to mind that family businesses were hitting the wall at disturbing rates, and manufacturing was in a death spin.

It was only the other day I had some foolish 25 year old uni student tell me that I should embrace automation, as it was the only way we will be able to compete with cheaper Asian products. I ask this idiot what he was going to do for a job. He looked at me like I had two heads. These are the fools that we are going to have to rely on for our future. Didn't install me with much faith.

Globalisation is the dream of billionaires. Why do you think the establishment is now panicking about Trump. He is on the verge of wrecking their party. Globalisation makes richer people richer and poorer people poorer. The gap has never been so wide since we embraced Globalisation.

Ask yourself a question, how much is a dollar worth? Most of you will say a dollar, but that is incorrect. A dollar spent on the Amazon website will cost you a dollar. That dollar will disappear forever, never to be recycled in our economy. If you spent that dollar on an Australian website, that dollar may be worth ten dollars or maybe more. This is because it is infinitely recycled within our economy, helping to employ people, taxed to help with services and infrastructure, and even maybe ending up in some kids piggy bank.

very true mate. We all bear responsibility. Not just the govts fault. And to add to that it is the people who are responsible for voting the govts into power in the first place. And it seems that many are now starting to realise that and jumping at someone or something that may offer an alternative.

#1396917 - 12/12/2016 10:59 Re: Australian Politics [Re: slipperyfish]
Eevo Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Bridgewater
as it was the only way we will be able to compete with cheaper Asian products.

he would be correct.

#1396922 - 12/12/2016 11:38 Re: Australian Politics [Re: Eevo]
slipperyfish Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: South Mission Beach QLD
Originally Posted By: Eevo
as it was the only way we will be able to compete with cheaper Asian products.

he would be correct.

Yes Unfortunately for us he is

#1396944 - 12/12/2016 15:18 Re: Australian Politics [Re: Brett Guy]
ozthunder Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Mt Warrigal, NSW, Australia
Originally Posted By: Brett Guy
Govt after govt have over the last 25years sold us out to the globalist ideology. And now we are suffering the consequences. The only way it will change is to go back to being somewhat more protectionist/nationalist. Ironically enough many who are complaining about tax evaision by multinationals are also the ones who say nationalism is bad. That is the challenge. How to deal with diametrically opposed ideals.

Amazing, I agree with all

#1396945 - 12/12/2016 15:23 Re: Australian Politics [Re: ColdFront]
ozthunder Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Mt Warrigal, NSW, Australia
Anyway digging up another topic

Power grid in need of multi-billion-dollar upgrade to safeguard future energy supply, report finds

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-12-12/power-grid-in-need-of-multi-billion-dollar-upgrade:-report/8111468

Totally confused now. The NSW public at least was led to believe that Electrickery prices went up because the privatised power companies invested so much in "gold plating" the poles and wires.

Are we now to think that maybe the money went into that only on the "books" as a tax / net income dodge.

Heaven forbid, no company would do that..would they?

#1396963 - 12/12/2016 17:43 Re: Australian Politics [Re: slipperyfish]
Seira Offline

Loc: Adelaide Hills.

I recall from a movie: "finance is such a weird thing" laugh laugh . At the end of the day, currency has two purposes => spending and saving.

#1396978 - 12/12/2016 20:25 Re: Australian Politics [Re: ozthunder]
ColdFront Offline

Originally Posted By: ozthunder
Anyway digging up another topic

Power grid in need of multi-billion-dollar upgrade to safeguard future energy supply, report finds

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-12-12/power-grid-in-need-of-multi-billion-dollar-upgrade:-report/8111468

Totally confused now. The NSW public at least was led to believe that Electrickery prices went up because the privatised power companies invested so much in "gold plating" the poles and wires.

Are we now to think that maybe the money went into that only on the "books" as a tax / net income dodge.

Heaven forbid, no company would do that..would they?

laugh Steve Price was just on the Project blaming renewable energy for the price increase. Nothing to do with privatisation crazy

#1396979 - 12/12/2016 20:26 Re: Australian Politics [Re: ColdFront]
ColdFront Offline

Page 179 of 266 < 1 2 ... 177 178 179 180 181 ... 265 266 >

Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 268 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Today's Birthdays
Ganesh, Lizardman
Forum Stats
29444 Members
32 Forums
23761 Topics
1472335 Posts

Max Online: 2925 @ 02/02/2011 22:23
Satellite Image