Page 121 of 129 < 1 2 ... 119 120 121 122 123 ... 128 129 >
Topic Options
#1395099 - 30/11/2016 11:12 Re: Earthquakes [Re: BIG T]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Wantirna, Vic
Hi folks.
Sorry haven't been around for a bit, but have been unwell and busy on top of that. Am aware of the quakes going on, but have lost touch with those old 'feelings' [for quakes] mojo lately.

Felt a small jolt yesterday as I was slobbing in a chair on my decking. May have coincided with a quake north of Oz mainland, but not sure. There has been so much activity in the last weeks, that small jolts could be coming from anywhere... I saw a curious report on Australia - Earth's seasonal gyration mass motion de...vember 26, 2016

I think our continent is a little vulnerable to small movements here and there at the moment, especially. If the Pacific and the periphery of the Australian Plate keeps coming up with quakes, we may see some more tremors on our mainland. In my last post I mentioned my suspicion that Oz may start coming up with a run on tremors, and that started to happen after my post.

I think that globally, energy causing quakes is all over the place at the moment. I will go out on a limb here and say I suspect that the action in the greater Pacific region may have been the impetus for some of the other global quakes. Ripple effect to a degree. Or that the Pacific action may have been indicative of a global energy, with the beginning and strongest 'shifts' focusing in the Pacific...hope that made sense.

Some of the footage, if you haven't already seen it, coming out of NZ is incredible;

Anyway, for now, Duck.

#1395556 - 03/12/2016 06:59 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
BIG T Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Albany Creek , QLD
Hi all. Currently in san francisco. Hooked up with an historic tour of the area yday. Amazing tales of 1906. The place just steams ahead Regardless of any future risk. Would hate to be around when it lets go again one day. Hopefully that wont be in the next week or so.

#1395919 - 05/12/2016 09:22 Re: Earthquakes [Re: BIG T]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi BIG T and all.

What an interesting holiday [?] you are having in the U.S.. The western side of the U.S. constantly niggles with small tremors - not unusual. Their larger tremors [M4 or more] are sporadic and need a good nudge to 'shift'. So I tend to feel that while you are there this may not happen. Anything bigger than M4 may happen elsewhere in the current time frame - if I am correct. I get a wee feeling that he mountain ranges west of Nevada [away from the coast] may be the 'one' feeding into any M3+'s at the moment.....?

Regarding watching the South Australian tremors [as they seem to come up on some seismo's I usually watch], I have generally relied on the Geoscience recorded readings to see if my suspicions of tremors occurring are correct. Geo tends to only list the tremors larger than M2'ish. But, this link - from the SA Gov. confirms what I see on the SA seismo's. Why I haven't been observing this particular tremor recording page - I dunno. If I had in the past, I may not have been doubting what I thought I was seeing on the SA seismo's - crazy

The west of the Pacific is still misbehaving in bursts - throwing up M5's - ishes in clusters. Yesterday I noticed quite a few M5's come up in rather quick succession. Now that is a huge spread of energy [distance wise in the Pacific incorporating the vast Pacific Plate] being tossed around.
I feel that this is also having an effect on the occurrence of quakes in several spots on the eastern side of the Pacific, maybe even including South America [Chile etc..].

In amomgst all of this activity, Hawaii has been niggling along. I usually see Hawaii activity being connected in some way to the activity [especially when the tremors on the west coast of the U.S. are numerous or heightened in size] to the U.S. west coast. Could be wrong of course.

There are some more M5's to come globally and especially inland in some not too common places inland [maybe in some depressions/basins or maybe old/dry river beds somewhere].

Take all I say with a pinch of salt - as my 'feelings' may be wrong folks.

For now, Duck.

#1395948 - 05/12/2016 13:32 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
tsunami Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Wynnum SE Brisbane
I have a friend in kaikoura that has some good photos of the quake. I will endeavor to post some in due course

#1396088 - 06/12/2016 09:30 Re: Earthquakes [Re: tsunami]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi folks, just a quicky post for now.

At 8:05 am this morning, we felt a faint double vibration go through the house. It rattled a closed door near me and faintly creaked the roof. No bird sounds outside and one of my cats bug-eyed.
None of the seimo's NW or NE of Melbourne registered anything I could gage, but I reckon this movement came from the south or SSE? Could be an after movement from the two tremors we had on the 3rd December in Western Port Bay [M2] and an M1.6 in Geelong. I wonder if Vic lower may feel another tremor soon before this activity settles?

For now, Duck.

#1396609 - 09/12/2016 08:35 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
ColdFront Offline
Meteorological Motor Mouth

Loc: Wide Bay..Near the beach

#1396613 - 09/12/2016 09:06 Re: Earthquakes [Re: ColdFront]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi ColdFront and all.

Two good shakes in the Pacific for sure.

The Solomons quake was a doozy. Moderately shallow at about 35kms. The USGS has it pegged at M8. The water disturbances around the Solomons and other islands may be the most affected by any sea issues and strong currents. But there is an outside chance that subtle water behaviours may even reach our eastern shores. Some or most of it may not be very obvious, but may have a small effect on wave patterns/behaviours. Quakes are still happening in the Solomons and this large quake is not surprising, given the recent activity in the Pacific. I had an urking feeling that something large was on the horizon in the western Pacific, but wasn't 'sure' where.

Similarly, I felt that the west coast [offshore] of the U.S. may come up with an M5 or more SW of Eureka. I didn't mention this in a previous post, but have been watching the activity in the mountain ranges west of Nevada. This activity was spotting along the fault which travels north/then turns NW into the Pacific SW of Eureka. The San Andreas may also be involved [more than likely]. This is where today's M6.8 has occurred for the western side of the U.S..
BIG T is in San Francisco [currently?] and I mentioned to him that a larger quake would not happen where he was, but may be in another region, possibly Nevada [those mountain ranges which have been niggling with tremors]. This activity has been generally by-passing San Francisco, as it follows the mountain ranges north-south, avoiding causing a possible quake focusing on San Francisco in current time. As it turns out, the energy spotting around the mountain ranges has culminated in shoving the west coast off-shore SW of Eureka. [My thoughts].

Some of the energy from the U.S. quake may reverberate into the west coast of Canada [offshore] - complex plate system...?

Overall, it has been a rather active time for larger quakes [over M5] in recent times. The planet seems to be shuffling it's cards somewhat. I get a feeling we haven't seen the end of the larger movements for the time being. But don't take my word for it folks, I am quite out-of-tune [unfocused] regarding the global earthquake activity at the moment [and have been for some time now].

Cheers, Duck.

Edited by duckweather (09/12/2016 09:07)

#1396638 - 09/12/2016 12:59 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
BIG T Offline
Weather Freak

Missed all the action by bugger all. We took off east , travelling out to Zion. NP and monument valley etc. got out of San Fran just in time, I've felt that stuff before , happy not to again. 48hrs earlier was sitting at the dock of the bay at Sausalito and didn't really want to go anywhere else, so unless there's some rattling in Arizona , Utah or Nevada in the next few days, it will have to wait to I'm back in Cali on the 13th , or Hawaii the week following. Happy to dodge it though.

#1396645 - 09/12/2016 14:51 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
tsunami Offline
Weatherzone Addict

A few very nervous people in north California thinking the 6.5m may be a fore shock for cascadia

#1396649 - 09/12/2016 15:18 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
BIG T Offline
Weather Freak

Oh hell yeah , don't be mentioning that.

#1396660 - 09/12/2016 16:47 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
bbowen Offline
Weather Freak

Out of interest did anyone feel it in Australia at all?
Because apparently it could have been felt over most of Queensland potentially

Edited by bbowen (09/12/2016 16:47)

#1397449 - 17/12/2016 11:40 Re: Earthquakes [Re: bbowen]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi folks, finally smile

Looking at the current and last weeks activity, the U.S. western regions have been quite interesting, amongst some other locations. There is some, and has been, some increased activity surrounding the San Andreas and other sister faults. There seems to have been many niggles in the mountain regions west of Nevada and along [partially] along the California coast. Many of the tremors have been skirting around San Francisco [though a couple came fairly close] as I mentioned would happen. The larger tremor off shore of the west U.S., I feel, was a culmination of the pressure coming up from the south [including the activity in west Nevada and those tremors spotting along the coast.
As I have said in the past, this sort of activity eventually filters up and into the west offshore generally of Canada - and this happened. Also, What sometimes happens too is that Washington can pick up on this activity too - and this happened as well.
Hawaii went quiet, but has begun a new round of tremors. I usually 'see' Hawaiian activity possibly following on or coinciding with the west coast of the U.S. activity. Not because they are both U.S. locations, but I feel that they are connected physically in the crust and volcanicly [don't know how to spell that smile ]. I could be wrong...
The lower central parts of the U.S. [Oklahoma and surrounds] are picking up on energy possibly coming in from the south and the west...?
Other parts of the U.S. [east and south] may also be involved on the overall niggles in the U.S....?

Central America, South America [and maybe near he Caribbean] could be vulnerable to a moderate quake currently [within week?]. By moderate. I mean maybe M6 or M6+??

Alaska is quite active, along with the U.S. west. I see this energy related. Canada is the 'sister' in the middle where this energy generally by-passes the Canadian western regions - and Canada 'gives' a little or moderately when the energy builds and eventually 'gives' in relation to this energy...?

Australia is still coming up with sneaky tremors, especially in SA. Some of the 'usual' spots in Central Oz, NSW and WA are responding to energies being driven in and around our plate and continent. QLD came up with one I expected it would. There has been interesting buoy activity in the last week there [not now though] surrounding the time of their M3'ish.
I get a bit of a feeling that Oz may feel an M4 in the near future - not sure where though, as it feels to me that there may be 'energy' spotting or lurking sporadically in various areas....

Europe, the Middle East [and offshore Scotland] have been feeling various tremors up to M5 [Scotland was an M3?]. Yet to catch up with all the activity in these places.

bbowen - I reckon QLD'ers would have felt some movement with the quake you were referring to. What and how much one feels can depend on the land and sea forms between self and the quake. Though, when a large quake happens it can be felt, even slightly, particularly on the half side of the globe it occurs on sometimes.

For now, Duck.

#1397511 - 17/12/2016 22:08 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
tsunami Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Just been a big 7.5 in png. Theyve been rocking lately

#1397512 - 17/12/2016 22:13 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
logansi Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Portland, Southwest - Victoria
USGS has it at 8.0 - Tsunami warning for
PAPUA NEW GUINEA... SOLOMON ISLANDS... POHNPEI... CHUUK...
INDONESIA... NAURU... KOSRAE AND VANUATU

Australia buoys have gone into event mode of townsville

#1397515 - 17/12/2016 22:25 Re: Earthquakes [Re: logansi]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Oh boy this was a big quake. I have just got in and have been wanting to say that I have been watching a seismo in Vic building gradually in its reading over the last 6 or so hours, and wanted to say that a larger quake is brewing in the western pacific island regions! I didn't get a chance to post this. The signature on the seismo was showing behaviour heading towards this quake. Will see if this has caused any issues for the folks within the region/radius. And, tsunami behaviours.
For the moment, Duck.

#1397523 - 17/12/2016 23:33 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi again.

I can't upload a snap shot of the seismo I was watching over those 6 or so hours this arvo, but I can post a link to the seismo - here - where if you look at the readings from the top of the seismo image - you can see the lines/readings 'thickening' as the hours go by today. Towards the moment of the large PNG quake you can see what I saw of the lines 'readings' getting thicker/more pronounced until the quake. I said to my daughter that I suspected this was a build up to a larger quake NE of the Australian continent - in the western Pacific islands region or near PNG.

I have screen shot the current image, but can't upload it atm..

More info to come out for this quake/s. NZ is on top of it, as they are wondering if they will get some sea 'behaviours' as a result of the tsunami output from the larger quake.

For now, Duck.

#1397636 - 18/12/2016 21:53 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi folks.

It looks like my overall feeling for the western Pacific, as well as PNG, was actually right. There are definitely some solid movements going on at the moment. This may signal even another larger quake [above M6?] in the making. This may be enough to niggle the eastern side of Oz to feel a tremor or two. Other states in Oz may also be slightly niggled to produce a tremor in vulnerable spots.
This activity may have NZ watching it [west Pacific movements] closely....?

We have had subtle building vibrations, here and there, in the last few days [and week].

For now, Duck.

Edited by duckweather (18/12/2016 21:53)

#1397881 - 20/12/2016 20:36 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi folks.

Well my suspicions about the western Pacific have been realized. My mind's-eye has been almost constantly focusing on the west Pacific for many and fairly large quakes as being a feature in the global quakes.
The larger quake recently may have helped rattle the western Pacific [around PNG - to it's north and to it's east/SE] enough to [in addition to persistent energy there] raise some shallower quakes in the regions. Enough to even push a deep quake near Fiji.
I am hoping these continuous quakes are not a precursor to another large quake [M7+]. There is just so much activity around these regions atm..

The western side of Sth. America and Central America came up with the quakes I anticipated may happen after and during all of the western Pacific activity. NZ has also come up with a few quakes [also which I anticipated in current days].

Hawaii 'gave in' and produced a moderate quake too. This doesn't surprise me at all.

NSW has been responding [possibly] to all of the above-mentioned activity too, as I mentioned the eastern side of Oz would. QLD hasn't come up with another tremor yet [current day/s] and considering QLD is closer to the 'action' than the south eastern states, I am a bit surprised QLD coast or offshore hasn't had a niggle yet - unless I have missed a recording...
Vic feels a bit iffy atm....tremor on the horizon?

The Mediterranean - namely Greece - is now feeling some niggles too. More may come up in the general Mediterranean from now - from small movements to up to a possible M5'ish again.

The regions due south of Tasmania [close to Antarctica?] and SW of NZ [again - towards Antarctica?] may come up with an M5...?

I am also wondering if somewhere along the Himalayas may come up with an M4+? too.

Take all I say with a pinch-of-salt. My observations or feelings may wrong folks.

For now, Duck.

#1397941 - 21/12/2016 11:40 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
The Doo crew Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Hedland-Darwin NT
Darwin just had a long wobble, 6.6 near Timor.

#1398278 - 23/12/2016 11:33 Re: Earthquakes [Re: The Doo crew]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi The Doo crew and all.

Apparently quite a few folks felt that movement in the NT. Various descriptions of the movement from swaying to rumbles. I imagine it would have spooked a few folks - wondering where it was centred.

Near Three Hammock Island, off Tassie's coast, has a tremor. What a great name for an island. This is on lower Bass Strait. It was a matter of time before Tassie came into the picture for a tremor and I was wondering if Bass Strait was going to give a little. I had mentioned that there was a strange 'feeling' in Vic recently - as if there was some energy lurking in the general region of Bass Strait [I didn't mention Bass Strait in a previous post].

NSW offshore - SE of Eden has come up on the Global Incidents Map but not on the Geoscience website map. ?? Maybe something was registered on the NSW [and other] seismo's in that region, but Geo may have removed it - it may have been an error reading?

The following is something I have observed before. Notice how when there is ongoing and substantial movement in the west Pacific, that the west coast of California [US] gets up a rev of tremors in the San Andreas and sister faults? This has happened recently on two noticeable occasions. This activity, as I have mentioned before, tends to by-pass the west coast offshore of Canada and goes into Alaska. Eventually, Canada west gives a little with the energy and comes up with tremors....I could be wrong with my thoughts there....
Washington [US] came up with responding tremors like I thought it would.

A moderate quake came up in China central [slightly south of centre] recently - after I said I thought a quake could come up along the Himalayas. Obviously that quake was not on the Himalayan Range, but energy none the less fed into China above this region.

In observing the Global Incident Map only, the Mediterranean is too quiet [which of course is a good thing]. There may be some energy showing up from the eastern side from the Middle East [including Iran, Pakistan etc] through to the west [meaning anywhere in between and including] of Europe....?

Japan may come up with another M5 and possibly Taiwan.
I dunno why, but my mind's-eye is slightly drawn to northern Mongolia as well....?

For now, Duck.

Edited by duckweather (23/12/2016 11:35)
Edit Reason: spelling again

Page 121 of 129 < 1 2 ... 119 120 121 122 123 ... 128 129 >

Who's Online
8 registered (Kino, Popeye, Mad Elf #1.5, Coxy, Steve777, BongWater, 2 invisible), 288 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Today's Birthdays
Andrew GM, frazzel12
Forum Stats
29370 Members
32 Forums
23685 Topics
1462439 Posts

Max Online: 2925 @ 02/02/2011 22:23
Satellite Image