Topic Options
#1400939 - 07/01/2017 07:05 Question regarding Coral Sea Cyclones
Mega Offline
Meteorological Motor Mouth

Loc: Maryborough, Wide Bay, QLD
Honestly, this has to be the worst tropical basin in the world when it comes to tropical cyclones. The Atlantic, the east Pacific, the West Pacific (especially above the equator), the Indian Ocean and the Timor Sea all put it to shame, year after year, after year. Why is it so? Why is it, that 90℅ of the time conditions are so hostile for TC genesis in the Coral Sea yet in other Hurricane / TC hotspots around the world, such as those mentioned above, seem to be able to muster up at least some form of Typhoon / TC / Hurricane every year? I mean, I hope to come back to this thread after March and say well this year was an exception, but it still doesn't change the fact that the frequency of such events in the Coral Sea is so much lower than those around the world. There has to be a logical reason for this, I've still yet to come across one though.

By the way, I know people will blame the sub-tropical jet, the interaction with mid- lat troughs etc etc but that still doesn't explain why those other places don't seem to have as much of a problem contending with such conditions.

?

#1407884 - 16/02/2017 05:34 Re: Question regarding Coral Sea Cyclones [Re: Mega]
Hopefull Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Burpengary QLD
Hi Mega
I just found your post this morning.
I have been asking that for decades and it is just getting worse every year.For the same reason that I like storms simply for the rain I always hope a cyclone will cross the coast at an unpopulated area and bring widespread(non destructive) rain. There is still time.

Edited by Hopefull (16/02/2017 05:36)

Who's Online
9 registered (DerekHV, Mathew, Donzah, Squeako_88, EddyG, Snowy Hibbo, Sidney, SteveB93, 1 invisible), 286 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Today's Birthdays
Darkside, deadgoon, Littlevic
Forum Stats
29239 Members
32 Forums
23593 Topics
1449762 Posts

Max Online: 2925 @ 02/02/2011 22:23
Satellite Image