Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#1402675 - 17/01/2017 17:12 SA - Underhyped Trough with deep tropical moisture feed Rain & Storms HEAVY falls likely 18th-20th Jan 2017
Jet entrance Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: North Brighton, SA
TH & TS can run the numbers, I'll just put up what our BOM say...

ACCESS-R awesome.
GFS awful.

Adelaide Forecast Thursday...
"Humid. Partly cloudy. Slight chance (20%) of patchy rain in the early morning. Very high (90%) chance of showers developing late afternoon, becoming rain at times during the evening. A thunderstorm likely late afternoon and evening. Heavy falls possible with thunderstorms. Winds east to southeasterly 15 to 25 km/h increasing to 30 km/h before turning north to northeasterly 15 to 20 km/h in the late morning."

Totals...
"Cumulative rainfall totals until midnight Friday are expected to be generally 10 to 20 mm, with isolated falls of 20 to 40 mm possible with thunderstorms."
that I've got eleven peepholes.
Elliot Goblet

#1402681 - 17/01/2017 17:32 Re: SA - Underhyped Trough with deep tropical moisture feed Rain & Storms HEAVY falls likely 18th-20th Jan 2017 [Re: Jet entrance]
StormCapture Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Uleybury
While again this is one of the trickiest systems, I will ignore all maps until at least 12 hours out.

While this does look to be again a fairly complex yet dynamic setup with multiple features, it won't take much to change it.

BoM have no clue how much rain will fall as the totals have gone up to 10-30mm from 4-15mm yesterday so it is too hard to predict but I'd say 10-35mm widespread.

This stage I can see most of the storm activity will be Up in the Mid North. Good DEEP layer of cape so with the sfc heating shouldn't take that much to get them going. Small cap also so they should not take long to break through.

#1402682 - 17/01/2017 17:42 Re: SA - Underhyped Trough with deep tropical moisture feed Rain & Storms HEAVY falls likely 18th-20th Jan 2017 [Re: Jet entrance]
Markus Offline
Weatherzone Moderator

Loc: Clare, SA
GFS going for fairly stationary storms through the Southern Flinders overnight Thurs/Fri in a highly unstable environment on the 00z run. Given the way CAPE lingers, could be a bloody good night of storms, not to mention the risk of flooding. Might not see much in Radelaide from this system, EC and ACCESS much better for Adelaide but daym, Thursday really has my attention now.

http://markdawsonphoto.wordpress.com/

#1402685 - 17/01/2017 17:51 Re: SA - Underhyped Trough with deep tropical moisture feed Rain & Storms HEAVY falls likely 18th-20th Jan 2017 [Re: Jet entrance]
Jet entrance Offline
Weather Freak

Awesome write up SC, and yes Markus you will be in wonderland btl's.

And just to confirm my models quotes re ACCESS-R & GFS refer to Adelaide. Further north it goes off like an 🏧 in Amsterdam!!
Elliot Goblet

#1402687 - 17/01/2017 17:55 Re: SA - Underhyped Trough with deep tropical moisture feed Rain & Storms HEAVY falls likely 18th-20th Jan 2017 [Re: Jet entrance]
Jet entrance Offline
Weather Freak

And Cumulative rainfall totals are now...

". Cumulative rainfall totals until midnight Saturday are expected to be generally 10 to 30 mm, with isolated falls of 30 to 60 mm possible with thunderstorms."

Make no bare arse toads about it, there will be some massive storms out there somewhere!!!

Edited by Jet entrance (17/01/2017 17:56)
Elliot Goblet

#1402688 - 17/01/2017 18:00 Re: SA - Underhyped Trough with deep tropical moisture feed Rain & Storms HEAVY falls likely 18th-20th Jan 2017 [Re: Jet entrance]
Chris #3 Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Semaphore SA
So many capes o_o

I like 'a thunderstorm likely' - hope it stays that way.

#1402724 - 17/01/2017 20:48 Re: SA - Underhyped Trough with deep tropical moisture feed Rain & Storms HEAVY falls likely 18th-20th Jan 2017 [Re: Jet entrance]
Pooley72 Offline
Cloud Gazer

Loc: Seacliff Park
Hi all,
Long time lurker - first time contributor to this forum. Very jealous of the images uploaded by various users here and the tremendous knowledge shown by others.

Just wondering, what is everyones impressions of what is happening between Cleve and Whyalla at the moment. Something just brewing out of nowhere

From Spencer Gulf F6

Jan: 52.2mm
Feb: 32.8mm
Mar: 28.2mm
Apr: 39.6mm
May: 37.8mm
Jun: 14.4mm
Jul: 87.3mm
Aug:
Sep:
Oct:
Nov:
Dec:
2017: 205.0mm

#1402726 - 17/01/2017 21:10 Re: SA - Underhyped Trough with deep tropical moisture feed Rain & Storms HEAVY falls likely 18th-20th Jan 2017 [Re: Jet entrance]
Galaxyman Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Renmark
It's interference.

#1402728 - 17/01/2017 21:29 Re: SA - Underhyped Trough with deep tropical moisture feed Rain & Storms HEAVY falls likely 18th-20th Jan 2017 [Re: Jet entrance]
Thunderstruck Offline
Lightning man

Loc: Seaford Meadows, SA
Welcome Pooley! yea mate that is interference, notorious is the Buckland Park radar for that false echo and others around the coast of KI. Very frustrating!!! the dual pol upgrade in May cannot come soon enough. Be USA standard radar then.

System wise, still need to wait and see for us down here but Mid North and parts of EP are going to cop a right old fashioned slaughtering. Big, strong, wet thunderstorms with very heavy rain and flooding potential under them. Very convective in nature so impossible to pick target areas yet but Mid North a no brainer for an Adelaide chaser.

Adelaide wise, EC/ACCESS-R give us a lot more than GFS...but it's coming back south a touch. Key is upper trough to south over Bight rocketing east during afternoon, will rapidly increase upper divergence and trigger off thunderstorms with extra lift. Messy areas of rain also in less unstable areas. Looks pretty good all round though...and then a follow up system, weaker on the 23rd. Not bad for Jan....more like a humid November with deep tropical air. It's so rare to see such mobility in systems in January....normally blocks of heat are set by now. Negative SAM is helping us keep things moving and allowing the major monsoonal moisture intrusion to hook up to troughs and fronts moving through..

TS cool

#1402729 - 17/01/2017 21:29 Re: SA - Underhyped Trough with deep tropical moisture feed Rain & Storms HEAVY falls likely 18th-20th Jan 2017 [Re: Jet entrance]
ThD Ht Offline
Weatherzone ratbag

Loc: Reynella, S.A.
yer more capes than draculas closet,
what you doin' Markus, you gunna be able to up and atom
on these suckers on thursday.
just had a chinwag with TS over this upcoming......
EP is looking impressive with those high capes and a
good sharp fast moving upper trough. best looking
western EP early then upper EP to upper spencer gulf.
models are showing a bit or rain, if you can call it that.
iron triangle looking to get flushed clear down to
pt. lincolnn if GFS has its way.
were not so bad but still looking at a decent drop again,
adelaide marginal for a storm but because were on the
cusp the scales could easily tip in our favour and give
us a ripper or it could just as easily go the other way,
boils down to 'dont take your eye off the ball'.
def. no good going into detail with something like this,
way too volatile and fluid.

just checked that radar Pooley, yer it's pretty bad,
not sure but being doplar radar the only thing that
comes to my mind is it may be a heavy inversion.
got me intrigued now. TS will know what it is, i'll
mention it next time i talk to him.

and by the way, congrats on your first post.
moochus welcomus to dah forumus.
may it be the first of many.
i see you're just around the corner and up the
creek...i mean....road from me.
hope you got a rainguage to post rain stats when
they occur.

edit:-
bloody hell TS, you coulda waited another 60 seconds. poke

TH

#1402734 - 17/01/2017 21:54 Re: SA - Underhyped Trough with deep tropical moisture feed Rain & Storms HEAVY falls likely 18th-20th Jan 2017 [Re: Jet entrance]
teckert Offline
Weatherzone Moderator

Loc: NE suburbs, Adelaide, South Au...
fwiw, I'm thinking 25-35mm for city. Higher totals in Mid North, Flinders, Upper EP.
Not overly interested in storms as I can't chase... poke

#1402739 - 17/01/2017 22:08 Re: SA - Underhyped Trough with deep tropical moisture feed Rain & Storms HEAVY falls likely 18th-20th Jan 2017 [Re: Jet entrance]
Weather Guru Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Munno Para , Northern Suburb o...
I've been monitoring my old favourite, OCF
http://australianweathernews.com/OCF/OCF_023.HTM
OCF has progged 28 mm a few days ago for ELIZABETH. It went down to 18 mm this morning and is now back up to 36 so GO FIGURE. I say pick a number between 18 - 36. Lets say 27 mm,, and thats what i'd work on,,, take off a bit of 2 day old exaggeration and 15 - 25 mm,,, is about the mark...
Now sit back and watch what happens.
Nice and coolish outside now after a wind change. GOODBYE STINKING HOT WEATHER FOR A FEW DAYS.

Jan 44.1 mm
Feb 24.6 mm
Mar 3.6 mm
Apr 44.7 mm
May 39.6 mm
June 14.4 mm
July 73.5 mm
Aug 8.7 mm
Sep
Oct
Nov
Dec
2017 YTD 253.2 mm
2016 571
2015 369.5
2014 460.5
2013 504
2012 417
2011 598.5
2010 553

#1402741 - 17/01/2017 22:12 Re: SA - Underhyped Trough with deep tropical moisture feed Rain & Storms HEAVY falls likely 18th-20th Jan 2017 [Re: Thunderstruck]
Pooley72 Offline
Cloud Gazer

Originally Posted By: Thunderstruck
Welcome Pooley! yea mate that is interference, notorious is the Buckland Park radar for that false echo and others around the coast of KI. Very frustrating!!! the dual pol upgrade in May cannot come soon enough.

Thanks for the welcome smile

Yeah, I've noticed the interference around KI on many occasions. Just haven't seen it in that location before on Eyre Peninsula. Looking the same over Port Lincoln now as well and moving up the coast. Would the activity S of KI be the same sort of thing? There seems to be a good deal of cloud as a part of the front as seen at http://satview.bom.gov.au/ but looking at the way the precipitation has a very rounded edge I would assume that is just more crap from the Buckland Park doppler:

Originally Posted By: ThD Ht

(snip)
and by the way, congrats on your first post.
moochus welcomus to dah forumus.
may it be the first of many.
i see you're just around the corner and up the
creek...i mean....road from me.
hope you got a rainguage to post rain stats when
they occur.
(snip)

Thanks as well mate cheers
Yeah, I'm a southerner. Bought first house in Reynella East actually. Have also lived at port Noarlunga, Christies Beach & Downs and have also live in Millicent, Coonalpyn and Pinnaroo in a earlier lives shocked

Re rain gauge, well I have a HP1003 which is an Ambient Weather 1001 clone attached to my Wunderground account (link in my sig). I love the rain and last year was an exceptional year. Not only very wet but in my opinion a good deal windier than usual as well.
Had some impressive wind gusts last year at Christies - This one was my favourite - Big gust 12-7-16
Since moving to Seacliff Park we've had some decent wind and rain and lots of cool thunderstorms as well.
Looking forward to another adventurous year of weather.

Todays observation? Jeez it cooled down quick today once that southerly came through:
Code:
7:01 PM	34.5 C

Code:
8:02 PM	29 C

Code:
9:03 PM	22.2 C

Pooley

Aug:
Sep:
Oct:
Nov:
Dec:

#1402746 - 17/01/2017 22:28 Re: SA - Underhyped Trough with deep tropical moisture feed Rain & Storms HEAVY falls likely 18th-20th Jan 2017 [Re: Pooley72]
Chris #3 Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Originally Posted By: Pooley72
Hi all,
Long time lurker - first time contributor to this forum. Very jealous of the images uploaded by various users here and the tremendous knowledge shown by others.

Just wondering, what is everyones impressions of what is happening between Cleve and Whyalla at the moment. Something just brewing out of nowhere

Nuh frown it used to trick me too - worth checking out the BOM info for individual radars - http://www.bom.gov.au/australia/radar/info/sa_info.shtml#buckland-park64

Good to have some fresh blood smile don't feel intimidated by the technical talk - I don't know what they're on about a lot of the time but I've picked up a few things over the years.

#1402749 - 17/01/2017 22:48 Re: SA - Underhyped Trough with deep tropical moisture feed Rain & Storms HEAVY falls likely 18th-20th Jan 2017 [Re: Jet entrance]
StormCapture Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Yer that area is always a hot spot on the radar

Also welcome, you'll learn a lot here from us smile

I'll be happy with 30mm from this system, an inch minimum.

Pooley one word of advice, go to Bunnings and buy yourself a Nylex 1000 rain gauge for $23, their a great back up and very accurate rain gauge to own. The fine offsets stations like you have, I've noticed they do underrread and I know this by owning one for a few years and there's a mass difference of 300mm+ at times

#1402753 - 17/01/2017 23:09 Re: SA - Underhyped Trough with deep tropical moisture feed Rain & Storms HEAVY falls likely 18th-20th Jan 2017 [Re: Jet entrance]
teckert Offline
Weatherzone Moderator

The echoes south of the state is rain.

#1402754 - 17/01/2017 23:18 Re: SA - Underhyped Trough with deep tropical moisture feed Rain & Storms HEAVY falls likely 18th-20th Jan 2017 [Re: Jet entrance]
berga1987 Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Malvern, Adelaide, Aus
Welcome Pooley. With regards to Echo's, you can always check the visible/IR satellite images to check if there is any interesting looking cloud over the area you see the echo.

http://satview.bom.gov.au/

#1402755 - 17/01/2017 23:32 Re: SA - Underhyped Trough with deep tropical moisture feed Rain & Storms HEAVY falls likely 18th-20th Jan 2017 [Re: Pooley72]
Galaxyman Offline
Weather Freak

Re rain gauge, well I have a HP1003 which is an Ambient Weather 1001 clone attached to my Wunderground account (link in my sig). I love the rain and last year was an exceptional year. Not only very wet but in my opinion a good deal windier than usual as well.
Had some impressive wind gusts last year at Christies - This one was my favourite - Big gust 12-7-16
Since moving to Seacliff Park we've had some decent wind and rain and lots of cool thunderstorms as well.
Looking forward to another adventurous year of weather.

Todays observation? Jeez it cooled down quick today once that southerly came through:
Code:
7:01 PM	34.5 C

Code:
8:02 PM	29 C

Code:
9:03 PM	22.2 C

Pooley

I got the same weather station grin These are actually pretty good. I find the temps to be quite accurate and haven't had problems with temps over reading in the sun with the default screen as some other stations out there apparently do. For the price it's a pretty nice setup. The rain does tend to under-read, like Stormcapture said. Officially, rain is measured just above ground level where wind is less likely to affect it. And in my case, there is a big ass tree which no doubt inhibits rainfall to some extent.

Edited by Galaxyman (17/01/2017 23:36)

#1402759 - 18/01/2017 00:10 Re: SA - Underhyped Trough with deep tropical moisture feed Rain & Storms HEAVY falls likely 18th-20th Jan 2017 [Re: StormCapture]
Pooley72 Offline
Cloud Gazer

Originally Posted By: StormCapture

...word of advice, go to Bunnings and buy yourself a Nylex 1000 rain gauge for $23...

Aha, the analogue precipitation capture device. Can't go too wrong there hey. Unfortunately our current residence (rented) does not lend itself nicely to an installation at this stage (no garden, surrounded by trees everywhere). But will bear in mind in future.

Originally Posted By: StormCapture

The fine offsets stations like you have, I've noticed they do underrread and I know this by owning one for a few years and there's a mass difference of 300mm+ at times

Indeed. When I had it down at Christies Beach it was really really bad as the tipping bucket system was very susceptible to vibration from the wind and my mounting solution (top of TV antenna) seemed to vibrate a lot in anything more than a sparrows fart of a breeze thereby spilling the contents of the aforementioned bucket before it had a chance to register. I missed a lot of rainfall recordings as a result of this. Where we are living now the unit is still mounted on the TV antenna but seems to be a whole lot more stable and has picked up all of the rainfall that we have had since we have been here. Has even recorded rainfall in sustained 60 km/h winds (with gusts of 80 km/h+) which I am happy enough with.

Originally Posted By: Galaxyman

I got the same weather station. These are actually pretty good.

Yep, I have been happy with it. Love the fact that it was relatively easy to setup and just worked out of the box. Had a bit of trouble with the first one I got with a humidity/temp sensor giving really stupid readings about 6 months after I got it. Managed to get a replacement under warranty from the QLD company that I purchased it from and this one has been working well.

My install location, not ideal but sufficient:

Anyways, enough about me. Glad that y'all appreciate the new blood here. Had a bit of trouble signing up but was sorted this afternoon.

Apologies @Jet entrance for the thread hijack. Hopefully this thread turns into something special on Thursday/Friday.

Aug:
Sep:
Oct:
Nov:
Dec:

#1402762 - 18/01/2017 04:56 Re: SA - Underhyped Trough with deep tropical moisture feed Rain & Storms HEAVY falls likely 18th-20th Jan 2017 [Re: Jet entrance]
ThD Ht Offline
Weatherzone ratbag

just elaborate one last thing pooley re. that radar
signature down south, it is rain and the rounded edge is
the radar cutoff, it's very pronounced sometimes and
others not so much, cross corelate radar signatures and
intensity with satellite charts to get an idea of what's
what.
don't be afraid to ask questions on anything.........

BTW, don't apologise to Je, he doesn't deserve it. poke

TH

#1402804 - 18/01/2017 10:27 Re: SA - Underhyped Trough with deep tropical moisture feed Rain & Storms HEAVY falls likely 18th-20th Jan 2017 [Re: Jet entrance]
StormCapture Offline
Weatherzone Addict

It'll do alright on the roof, good for wind but might get the odd higher reading temp from radiation from the roof but usually doesn't phase many.

#1402805 - 18/01/2017 10:29 Re: SA - Underhyped Trough with deep tropical moisture feed Rain & Storms HEAVY falls likely 18th-20th Jan 2017 [Re: Jet entrance]
StormCapture Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Anyway, rainfall totals are nothing but a Yo-yo being all up and down
GFS has around 15-25mm now, CMC around 10mm, OCF 15.0mm for the city, haven't seen EC yet so presume similar.

#1402814 - 18/01/2017 10:54 Re: SA - Underhyped Trough with deep tropical moisture feed Rain & Storms HEAVY falls likely 18th-20th Jan 2017 [Re: Jet entrance]
Jet entrance Offline
Weather Freak

EC 25-50mm! More favorable towards Adelaide getting a hit from a storm.
Elliot Goblet

#1402884 - 18/01/2017 15:27 Re: SA - Underhyped Trough with deep tropical moisture feed Rain & Storms HEAVY falls likely 18th-20th Jan 2017 [Re: Jet entrance]
Galaxyman Offline
Weather Freak

You can see on the satpic some nice convection north of a line from Sydney to Port Augusta. Within spitting distance, there is convection bonanza. The southerly wank attack *just* managed to ruin it for us, in addition to killing the heat. Look at all those popcorn storms on the Woomera radar, not only that, but raging heat. All that is going to waste, that's what I can't stomach.

Edited by Galaxyman (18/01/2017 15:33)

#1402892 - 18/01/2017 16:24 Re: SA - Underhyped Trough with deep tropical moisture feed Rain & Storms HEAVY falls likely 18th-20th Jan 2017 [Re: Galaxyman]
rstewart84 Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Kalangadoo,South Australia
Yes sadly us innocent South Australians have been cursed with these pesky parasitic southerlies that don't understand that it is summer not winter the season they belong in

What do we need to go to get rid of this pesky and depressing southerly and return back to our usual hot weather pattern that is storm inducing

#1402899 - 18/01/2017 17:02 Re: SA - Underhyped Trough with deep tropical moisture feed Rain & Storms HEAVY falls likely 18th-20th Jan 2017 [Re: Jet entrance]
Eevo Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Bridgewater
SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WARNING

for HEAVY RAINFALL and DAMAGING WINDS

For people in parts of the
Flinders,
North West Pastoral and
North East Pastoral districts.

Issued at 3:19 pm Wednesday, 18 January 2017.
Severe thunderstorms are likely to produce heavy rainfall that may lead to flash flooding and damaging wind gusts in excess of 90 km/h in the warning area over the next several hours. Locations which may be affected include Coober Pedy, Roxby Downs, Leigh Creek, Marree, Hawker, Woomera, Amata, Arkaroola and the area around Emu Junction

#1402900 - 18/01/2017 17:08 Re: SA - Underhyped Trough with deep tropical moisture feed Rain & Storms HEAVY falls likely 18th-20th Jan 2017 [Re: rstewart84]
ThD Ht Offline
Weatherzone ratbag

Originally Posted By: rstewart84
Yes sadly us innocent South Australians have been cursed with these pesky parasitic southerlies that don't understand that it is summer not winter the season they belong in

What do we need to go to get rid of this pesky and depressing southerly and return back to our usual hot weather pattern that is storm inducing

a 50gigaton thermonuclear detonation in the middle of
that indian ocean high should do the trick, that would
induce a weather pattern to die for.....and we would too.

TH

#1402907 - 18/01/2017 17:41 Re: SA - Underhyped Trough with deep tropical moisture feed Rain & Storms HEAVY falls likely 18th-20th Jan 2017 [Re: Jet entrance]
thatflashoflite Offline
Cloud Gazer

Loc: Burra, South Australia
I had a good one but the winds brought the pole down that it was on smash it, wasnt very happy.
now i just got a cheap one bunnings and seems to be just plain crap.

#1402928 - 18/01/2017 20:20 Re: SA - Underhyped Trough with deep tropical moisture feed Rain & Storms HEAVY falls likely 18th-20th Jan 2017 [Re: Jet entrance]
Bolt Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Whyalla South Australia
Lawns mowed. New rain gauge up. Beers on ice. Last night shift tonight and 24 days off. Bring on tomorrow storms and cricket.

#1402932 - 18/01/2017 20:36 Re: SA - Underhyped Trough with deep tropical moisture feed Rain & Storms HEAVY falls likely 18th-20th Jan 2017 [Re: Jet entrance]
Jet entrance Offline
Weather Freak

Finally some agreement between models, and rainfall totals are fairly close also..

ACCESS-R favours the Flinders 50-80mm, Adelaide 10mm
ACCESS-G favours the Mid-North & Southern Fl 10-30mm, Adelaide 10-20mm
GFS favours Flinders and upper Spencer 20-50mm, Adelaide 10-20mm
EC favours widespread upper EP - Flinders 50-80mm, Adelaide 10-20mm

Stormwise, looks like most of the storms will be North of Adelaide "on what models are currently forecasting". But don't be at all surprised if there is a massive storm or 2 drifting in from the NW towards Adelaide late arvo and into the evening
Elliot Goblet

#1402933 - 18/01/2017 20:36 Re: SA - Underhyped Trough with deep tropical moisture feed Rain & Storms HEAVY falls likely 18th-20th Jan 2017 [Re: Bolt]
Chris #3 Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Originally Posted By: Bolt
Lawns mowed. New rain gauge up. Beers on ice. Last night shift tonight and 24 days off. Bring on tomorrow storms and cricket.

Fwoar that must feel pretty good. 24 days off - kicking it off in style with what will likely be an amazing show.

Hope something makes it to Adelaide - not really expecting it at this stage though. I'd rather keep my expectations low and be pleasantly suprised grin

#1402934 - 18/01/2017 20:41 Re: SA - Underhyped Trough with deep tropical moisture feed Rain & Storms HEAVY falls likely 18th-20th Jan 2017 [Re: Jet entrance]
Galaxyman Offline
Weather Freak

BOM's forecast says "Thunderstorm Likely" tomorrow for us shocked

Latest ACCESSG just about made me vomit. Wall to wall southerly dung heap all the way through. sick mad

Edited by Galaxyman (18/01/2017 20:43)

#1402949 - 18/01/2017 22:05 Re: SA - Underhyped Trough with deep tropical moisture feed Rain & Storms HEAVY falls likely 18th-20th Jan 2017 [Re: Jet entrance]
berga1987 Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Malvern, Adelaide, Aus
All I have to say is, suffer in your undies. I love cold weather, and the sooner we get a drastic climate change that plunges us into an ice age the better. Damn the torpedoes, bring on the southerlies.

#1402951 - 18/01/2017 22:14 Re: SA - Underhyped Trough with deep tropical moisture feed Rain & Storms HEAVY falls likely 18th-20th Jan 2017 [Re: Jet entrance]
teckert Offline
Weatherzone Moderator

It's coming berga.. it's coming.

#1402957 - 18/01/2017 23:02 Re: SA - Underhyped Trough with deep tropical moisture feed Rain & Storms HEAVY falls likely 18th-20th Jan 2017 [Re: berga1987]
Galaxyman Offline
Weather Freak

Originally Posted By: berga1987
All I have to say is, suffer in your undies. I love cold weather, and the sooner we get a drastic climate change that plunges us into an ice age the better. Damn the torpedoes, bring on the southerlies.

You can have your cold in winter. Let us summer lovers enjoy our heat in, wait for it, SUMMER. How bout instead of foisting an ice age on us, you move to Alaska.

Edited by Galaxyman (18/01/2017 23:04)

#1402960 - 18/01/2017 23:10 Re: SA - Underhyped Trough with deep tropical moisture feed Rain & Storms HEAVY falls likely 18th-20th Jan 2017 [Re: Jet entrance]
Eevo Offline
Weatherzone Addict

need to share and take turns.

#1402969 - 19/01/2017 03:11 Re: SA - Underhyped Trough with deep tropical moisture feed Rain & Storms HEAVY falls likely 18th-20th Jan 2017 [Re: Jet entrance]
ThD Ht Offline
Weatherzone ratbag

i'm gunna pack up my supercell and tornado and go home.

TH

#1402972 - 19/01/2017 05:26 Re: SA - Underhyped Trough with deep tropical moisture feed Rain & Storms HEAVY falls likely 18th-20th Jan 2017 [Re: Jet entrance]
ThD Ht Offline
Weatherzone ratbag

as far as the storm probablility chart goes on GFS,
from a distance one sees a beautiful mountain but
when i get close up to it all it turns out to be
is a mountain of garbage. all good for up north,
but down here is stuffed, the longwave trough can
only penetrate the southern ridge enough to give
some moisture and rain while all the good storms
are held north of a line through port wakefield.
the amount of moisture ripping down from up north
this summer is amazing just a pity the ridges are
stopping it from going chock-o-block.
lotsa summer yet, it'll catch the ridge off guard
and fluke one eventually........maybe.

TH

#1402975 - 19/01/2017 06:32 Re: SA - Underhyped Trough with deep tropical moisture feed Rain & Storms HEAVY falls likely 18th-20th Jan 2017 [Re: Jet entrance]
Weather Guru Offline
Weatherzone Addict

First threatening shower approaching from the west now over port Lincoln heading towards Minlaton and will get to Adelaide around between 9 and 11 am. Hopefully this clears after to give us some clear convective air FOR BIG BUSTY STORMS TO DEVELOP, but i fear this won't happen, but hope it will.
OR this shower could grow into something significant and dump on us,,,, i know what i would prefer smile
Either way,,, rain on the cards today. check your gutters and rain gauges peoples. maybe a bit of hail about for some.
Don't stand under the tram bridge for shelter on SOUTH ROAD or it might just collapse on you!

Jan 44.1 mm
Feb 24.6 mm
Mar 3.6 mm
Apr 44.7 mm
May 39.6 mm
June 14.4 mm
July 73.5 mm
Aug 8.7 mm
Sep
Oct
Nov
Dec
2017 YTD 253.2 mm
2016 571
2015 369.5
2014 460.5
2013 504
2012 417
2011 598.5
2010 553

#1402980 - 19/01/2017 08:31 Re: SA - Underhyped Trough with deep tropical moisture feed Rain & Storms HEAVY falls likely 18th-20th Jan 2017 [Re: Jet entrance]
Jet entrance Offline
Weather Freak

GFS continues to struggle with these set ups, whilst other models are not far behind.

If we just looked at one model for forecasting, wouldn't the world be a perfect place?? unfortunately we don't, and there isn't just one.

Both ACCESS models and EC are what BOM are basing there forecast on "I pressume". They are all the same as yesterday with perhaps an increase in rain totals for Adelaide.

Storms... well like TH said GFS says nothing for Adelaide, but other models show more promise so I guess we'll see later today.

Btw, GFS doesn't have this current blob of rain approaching on there most recent run 12z.
Elliot Goblet

#1402982 - 19/01/2017 08:39 Re: SA - Underhyped Trough with deep tropical moisture feed Rain & Storms HEAVY falls likely 18th-20th Jan 2017 [Re: Jet entrance]
Jet entrance Offline
Weather Freak

Latest Aviation forecast...

ISOLATED RAIN W OF Pt Neill/Edinburgh EXTENDING TO BE SW OF Pt Neill/Salt Creek AT
10:30 AND SW OF KI/Naracoorte AT 18:30.
ISOLATED SHOWERS AND THUNDERSTORMS DEVELOPING N OF Pt Lincoln/Bordertown FROM
13:30, INCREASING TO OCCASIONAL THUNDERSTORMS AND SCATTERED SHOWERS NW
OF Cleve/Eudunda/Peterborough FROM 14:30.
Elliot Goblet

#1402996 - 19/01/2017 10:27 Re: SA - Underhyped Trough with deep tropical moisture feed Rain & Storms HEAVY falls likely 18th-20th Jan 2017 [Re: Jet entrance]
Galaxyman Offline
Weather Freak

BOM's forecast is crazy.

"A thunderstorm likely in the evening. Showers and thunderstorms heavy at times later tonight."

I expect big things now, anything less than a light and sound spectacular will officially be a fizzer and there will be bitching, yes there will be bitching.

#1402997 - 19/01/2017 10:35 Re: SA - Underhyped Trough with deep tropical moisture feed Rain & Storms HEAVY falls likely 18th-20th Jan 2017 [Re: Jet entrance]
willitrainagain Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Mt Barker S.A.
Watch this rain area approaching fall to pieces as is gets nearer

#1403000 - 19/01/2017 11:02 Re: SA - Underhyped Trough with deep tropical moisture feed Rain & Storms HEAVY falls likely 18th-20th Jan 2017 [Re: Jet entrance]
Jet entrance Offline
Weather Freak

It's sliding South. Not a bad thing as we need clear air for the proper stuff later.
Elliot Goblet

#1403001 - 19/01/2017 11:13 Re: SA - Underhyped Trough with deep tropical moisture feed Rain & Storms HEAVY falls likely 18th-20th Jan 2017 [Re: Galaxyman]
Chris #3 Offline
Weatherzone Addict

BOM's forecast is crazy.

"A thunderstorm likely in the evening. Showers and thunderstorms heavy at times later tonight."

I expect big things now, anything less than a light and sound spectacular will officially be a fizzer and there will be bitching, yes there will be bitching.

Maybe they'll get it right for once JE smile

Hope hope hope.

#1403002 - 19/01/2017 11:13 Re: SA - Underhyped Trough with deep tropical moisture feed Rain & Storms HEAVY falls likely 18th-20th Jan 2017 [Re: Jet entrance]
Galaxyman Offline
Weather Freak

I for one will be 100% happy to see that rainband slide away and disappear. We don't need any boring hindrances siphoning off our fuel.

Edited by Galaxyman (19/01/2017 11:13)

#1403003 - 19/01/2017 11:20 Re: SA - Underhyped Trough with deep tropical moisture feed Rain & Storms HEAVY falls likely 18th-20th Jan 2017 [Re: Jet entrance]
Jet entrance Offline
Weather Freak

Latest GFS has storms for us late arvo and into the evening grin

And big heavy dumpers, my favourite!!!

Edited by Jet entrance (19/01/2017 11:21)
Elliot Goblet

#1403004 - 19/01/2017 11:26 Re: SA - Underhyped Trough with deep tropical moisture feed Rain & Storms HEAVY falls likely 18th-20th Jan 2017 [Re: Jet entrance]
Matt_30 Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Adelaide
Yeah was worried about sloppy rain bands this morning. If that muck is going to miss us that's a wonderful thing.

#1403007 - 19/01/2017 11:34 Re: SA - Underhyped Trough with deep tropical moisture feed Rain & Storms HEAVY falls likely 18th-20th Jan 2017 [Re: Galaxyman]
rstewart84 Offline
Weatherzone Addict

A decent storm will do us some good down south here and a renewed faith in decent forecasting otherwise the big wigs will have to walk ye plank once again

I agree with Galaxyman in his statement that would love to see the rainband slide away and disappear but the pesky southerlies have to do the same thing so we can get back to traditional summer not this poor excuse like it is at the moment

Edited by rstewart84 (19/01/2017 11:34)

#1403012 - 19/01/2017 12:54 Re: SA - Underhyped Trough with deep tropical moisture feed Rain & Storms HEAVY falls likely 18th-20th Jan 2017 [Re: Jet entrance]
Thunderstruck Offline
Lightning man

Still looking like plenty of storms around this evening. EC pretty much unmoved for days now and GFS fairly similar, but has had a slight southward shove over the last 24hrs which is good for things lining up. Given the upper trough is a big key here in deepening the sfc trough with minimal ridging below we should be fine for the sfc trough/low to have a nice progression SE. Charge cameras, clean gutters...should be a good inch for most of the metro tonight with bolts. Will erupt over EP and amongst upper trough before gap closes and all fills in with storms tending to rain/thundery rain later tonight, chiefly over and east of ranges. Fairly clean storms on EP and big ones across Mid North for a longer period than down here.

TS cool

#1403013 - 19/01/2017 12:56 Re: SA - Underhyped Trough with deep tropical moisture feed Rain & Storms HEAVY falls likely 18th-20th Jan 2017 [Re: rstewart84]
Thunderstruck Offline
Lightning man

A decent storm will do us some good down south here and a renewed faith in decent forecasting otherwise the big wigs will have to walk ye plank once again

I agree with Galaxyman in his statement that would love to see the rainband slide away and disappear but the pesky southerlies have to do the same thing so we can get back to traditional summer not this poor excuse like it is at the moment

Don't expect much down your way mate this event is not really one for the LSE.

TS cool

#1403014 - 19/01/2017 12:56 Re: SA - Underhyped Trough with deep tropical moisture feed Rain & Storms HEAVY falls likely 18th-20th Jan 2017 [Re: Jet entrance]
Markus Offline
Weatherzone Moderator

First storms up on northern E.P. Dewpoints much better over there, higher dewpoints spreading their way east and south now. Should be a good day smile

#1403017 - 19/01/2017 13:16 Re: SA - Underhyped Trough with deep tropical moisture feed Rain & Storms HEAVY falls likely 18th-20th Jan 2017 [Re: Jet entrance]
Chris #3 Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Cheers for the update TS and Markus, made my day...

Got a few cameras charged up. Going to try for some photos with my DSLR, timelapse in different directions with a bunch of cheap IP cams I picked up for $40 each - slow motion cap with the GoPro.

Edited by Chris #3 (19/01/2017 13:18)

#1403021 - 19/01/2017 13:30 Re: SA - Underhyped Trough with deep tropical moisture feed Rain & Storms HEAVY falls likely 18th-20th Jan 2017 [Re: Thunderstruck]
Jet entrance Offline
Weather Freak

Still looking like plenty of storms around this evening. EC pretty much unmoved for days now and GFS fairly similar, but has had a slight southward shove over the last 24hrs which is good for things lining up. Given the upper trough is a big key here in deepening the sfc trough with minimal ridging below we should be fine for the sfc trough/low to have a nice progression SE. Charge cameras, clean gutters...should be a good inch for most of the metro tonight with bolts. Will erupt over EP and amongst upper trough before gap closes and all fills in with storms tending to rain/thundery rain later tonight, chiefly over and east of ranges. Fairly clean storms on EP and big ones across Mid North for a longer period than down here.

TS cool

Yes 18z GFS this morning was even more of a shove South..

Love the words "erupt" and "storms" in the same sentence, gives me chills smile
Elliot Goblet

#1403024 - 19/01/2017 14:23 Re: SA - Underhyped Trough with deep tropical moisture feed Rain & Storms HEAVY falls likely 18th-20th Jan 2017 [Re: Jet entrance]
Jet entrance Offline
Weather Freak

Latest ACCESS-R...

Elliot Goblet

#1403025 - 19/01/2017 14:25 Re: SA - Underhyped Trough with deep tropical moisture feed Rain & Storms HEAVY falls likely 18th-20th Jan 2017 [Re: Jet entrance]
Jet entrance Offline
Weather Freak

Latest EC....

Elliot Goblet

#1403026 - 19/01/2017 14:45 Re: SA - Underhyped Trough with deep tropical moisture feed Rain & Storms HEAVY falls likely 18th-20th Jan 2017 [Re: Jet entrance]
Jet entrance Offline
Weather Freak

It's growing larger....

TOP PRIORITY FOR IMMEDIATE BROADCAST

for HEAVY RAINFALL and DAMAGING WINDS

For people in the Eastern Eyre Peninsula, Flinders and parts of the West Coast, Yorke Peninsula, Mid North, North West Pastoral and North East Pastoral districts.

Issued at 1:57 pm Thursday, 19 January 2017.
Severe thunderstorms are likely to produce heavy rainfall that may lead to flash flooding and damaging wind gusts in excess of 90 km/h in the warning area over the next several hours. Locations which may be affected include Whyalla, Port Augusta, Port Pirie, Coober Pedy, Roxby Downs, Leigh Creek, Cleve, Marree and Hawker.
The State Emergency Service advises that people should:
* Secure or put away loose items around your property.
* Move cars under cover or away from trees.
* Keep clear of fallen power lines.
* Don't drive, ride or walk through flood water.
* Keep clear of creeks and storm drains.
* Stay indoors, away from windows, while storms are nearby.
The next warning is due to be issued by 5:00 pm.
Warnings are also available through TV and Radio broadcasts, the Bureau's website at www.bom.gov.au or call 1300 659 215. The Bureau and State Emergency Service would appreciate warnings being broadcast regularly

Elliot Goblet

#1403029 - 19/01/2017 14:54 Re: SA - Underhyped Trough with deep tropical moisture feed Rain & Storms HEAVY falls likely 18th-20th Jan 2017 [Re: Jet entrance]
willitrainagain Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Mt Barker S.A.
Seems to be taking a while to get going. Not a great deal on EP
Or what I can see by the radar anyway

#1403034 - 19/01/2017 15:42 Re: SA - Underhyped Trough with deep tropical moisture feed Rain & Storms HEAVY falls likely 18th-20th Jan 2017 [Re: willitrainagain]
Helen Offline

Loc: Mid North, SA
Originally Posted By: willitrainagain

Might want to look again... EP is lighting up the countryside, along with Hawker and surrounds. smile
Sept - - (48mm) / Oct - - (38mm) / Nov - - (23mm) / Dec - - (18mm)
Total 2016 - 637.2mm

#1403035 - 19/01/2017 15:43 Re: SA - Underhyped Trough with deep tropical moisture feed Rain & Storms HEAVY falls likely 18th-20th Jan 2017 [Re: Jet entrance]
Galaxyman Offline
Weather Freak

Bit of fluff on the radar over the Riverland, it's not going to do anything except suppress valuable heating cry

I expect a bonanza tonight. The BOM is convinced we are going to cop it.

#1403036 - 19/01/2017 15:45 Re: SA - Underhyped Trough with deep tropical moisture feed Rain & Storms HEAVY falls likely 18th-20th Jan 2017 [Re: Jet entrance]
Chris #3 Offline
Weatherzone Addict

OLD WARNING - NOT CURRENT
Quote:

Anyone know if this format of warning is legit? Hadn't seen all the arrows and stuff before. Might seem like a dumb question but my mate found it on twitter from a legit source (could have been CFS)

Hopefully we get an Adelaide warning with a big fat -THIS HERE STORM IS VERY DANGEROUS -----> Or am I getting my expectations up too high?

Edited by Chris #3 (19/01/2017 15:50)

#1403038 - 19/01/2017 15:47 Re: SA - Underhyped Trough with deep tropical moisture feed Rain & Storms HEAVY falls likely 18th-20th Jan 2017 [Re: willitrainagain]
Chris #3 Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Originally Posted By: willitrainagain

Patience my friend smile the ingredients are there. We're still getting temperature increases.

#1403040 - 19/01/2017 15:51 Re: SA - Underhyped Trough with deep tropical moisture feed Rain & Storms HEAVY falls likely 18th-20th Jan 2017 [Re: Jet entrance]
Bolt Offline
Weather Freak

Feeling and looking ominous around Whyalla.

#1403041 - 19/01/2017 15:55 Re: SA - Underhyped Trough with deep tropical moisture feed Rain & Storms HEAVY falls likely 18th-20th Jan 2017 [Re: Bolt]
Chris #3 Offline
Weatherzone Addict

No kidding shocked

These are live feeds from Whyalla's two webcams. Worth bookmarking.
http://www.camsecure.co.uk/WhyallaWest.html
http://www.camsecure.co.uk/Whyalla.html

Higher quality images from one of them - http://whycam2.whyalla.com/now.jpg?

Edited by Chris #3 (19/01/2017 16:03)

#1403045 - 19/01/2017 16:22 Re: SA - Underhyped Trough with deep tropical moisture feed Rain & Storms HEAVY falls likely 18th-20th Jan 2017 [Re: Jet entrance]
Jet entrance Offline
Weather Freak

Latest GFS... Has Adelaide square in the firing line now!!!

Going to get very wet and very loud later tonight smile

Edited by Jet entrance (19/01/2017 16:22)
Elliot Goblet

#1403047 - 19/01/2017 16:24 Re: SA - Underhyped Trough with deep tropical moisture feed Rain & Storms HEAVY falls likely 18th-20th Jan 2017 [Re: Jet entrance]
Bolt Offline
Weather Freak

Whyalla developed its own little cell. Some nice cracks of thunder.

#1403052 - 19/01/2017 16:55 Re: SA - Underhyped Trough with deep tropical moisture feed Rain & Storms HEAVY falls likely 18th-20th Jan 2017 [Re: Jet entrance]
Jet entrance Offline
Weather Freak

Elliot Goblet

#1403056 - 19/01/2017 17:04 Re: SA - Underhyped Trough with deep tropical moisture feed Rain & Storms HEAVY falls likely 18th-20th Jan 2017 [Re: Jet entrance]
Pooley72 Offline
Cloud Gazer

Bit of action on Lightning Tracker:

https://www.lightningmaps.org/#y=-33.2419;x=137.7726;z=8;t=3;m=terrain;r=0;s=0;o=1;b=0.00;n=0;d=9;dl=9;dc=0;

Aug:
Sep:
Oct:
Nov:
Dec:

#1403061 - 19/01/2017 17:16 Re: SA - Underhyped Trough with deep tropical moisture feed Rain & Storms HEAVY falls likely 18th-20th Jan 2017 [Re: Jet entrance]
Jet entrance Offline
Weather Freak

STW now extended closer to us...

http://www.bom.gov.au/products/IDS65502.shtml
Elliot Goblet

#1403062 - 19/01/2017 17:28 Re: SA - Underhyped Trough with deep tropical moisture feed Rain & Storms HEAVY falls likely 18th-20th Jan 2017 [Re: Chris #3]
Tas609 Offline
Cloud Gazer

Loc: Hammond, South Australia
Originally Posted By: Chris #3

No kidding shocked

These are live feeds from Whyalla's two webcams. Worth bookmarking.
http://www.camsecure.co.uk/WhyallaWest.html
http://www.camsecure.co.uk/Whyalla.html

Higher quality images from one of them -
http://whycam2.whyalla.com/now.jpg?

i also have cameras 80km east of Port Augusta
http://www.wartli.drivehq.com/HWL3w.htm

#1403064 - 19/01/2017 17:39 Re: SA - Underhyped Trough with deep tropical moisture feed Rain & Storms HEAVY falls likely 18th-20th Jan 2017 [Re: Jet entrance]
Bolt Offline
Weather Freak

Kimba. Holy heck.

#1403070 - 19/01/2017 18:01 Re: SA - Underhyped Trough with deep tropical moisture feed Rain & Storms HEAVY falls likely 18th-20th Jan 2017 [Re: Jet entrance]
Jet entrance Offline
Weather Freak

Yes some massive hardcore cells on Ep now, holy crap!!
Elliot Goblet

#1403072 - 19/01/2017 18:02 Re: SA - Underhyped Trough with deep tropical moisture feed Rain & Storms HEAVY falls likely 18th-20th Jan 2017 [Re: Jet entrance]
Jet entrance Offline
Weather Freak

Right in the firing line for Adelaide. Watch for fresh stuff to go up rapidly in front of it very soon.
Elliot Goblet

#1403074 - 19/01/2017 18:07 Re: SA - Underhyped Trough with deep tropical moisture feed Rain & Storms HEAVY falls likely 18th-20th Jan 2017 [Re: Jet entrance]
Jet entrance Offline
Weather Freak

Look at that 3 frame beast go up south of Whyalla!!!
Elliot Goblet

#1403077 - 19/01/2017 18:14 Re: SA - Underhyped Trough with deep tropical moisture feed Rain & Storms HEAVY falls likely 18th-20th Jan 2017 [Re: Jet entrance]
ThD Ht Offline
Weatherzone ratbag

sheet, its on the move,
will it sustain to here,
froot loops if it does.
time to boogie trendsetters.......

TH

#1403079 - 19/01/2017 18:21 Re: SA - Underhyped Trough with deep tropical moisture feed Rain & Storms HEAVY falls likely 18th-20th Jan 2017 [Re: Jet entrance]
betsuin Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Magill, Adelaide
Some hopeful looking clouds going up on Sat Pic:

#1403080 - 19/01/2017 18:27 Re: SA - Underhyped Trough with deep tropical moisture feed Rain & Storms HEAVY falls likely 18th-20th Jan 2017 [Re: Pooley72]
Pooley72 Offline
Cloud Gazer

Hopefully this thread turns into something special on Thursday/Friday.

Please Please Please Please Please bounce

Shaping up nicely so far

Aug:
Sep:
Oct:
Nov:
Dec:

#1403082 - 19/01/2017 18:29 Re: SA - Underhyped Trough with deep tropical moisture feed Rain & Storms HEAVY falls likely 18th-20th Jan 2017 [Re: Jet entrance]
Jet entrance Offline
Weather Freak

That STW will include Greater Adelaide soon
Elliot Goblet

#1403086 - 19/01/2017 18:45 Re: SA - Underhyped Trough with deep tropical moisture feed Rain & Storms HEAVY falls likely 18th-20th Jan 2017 [Re: Jet entrance]
Jet entrance Offline
Weather Freak

Originally Posted By: Jet entrance
That STW will include Greater Adelaide soon

Bang!!

for HEAVY RAINFALL, DAMAGING WINDS and LARGE HAILSTONES

For people in the Adelaide Metropolitan, Mount Lofty Ranges, Lower Eyre Peninsula, Eastern Eyre Peninsula, Yorke Peninsula, Flinders, Mid North, North West Pastoral and parts of the West Coast, Riverland, Murraylands and North East Pastoral districts.

Issued at 6:01 pm Thursday, 19 January 2017.
Severe thunderstorms are likely to produce heavy rainfall that may lead to flash flooding and damaging wind gusts in excess of 90 km/h over the next several hours. There is also a slight risk of large hailstones with thunderstorms over Eyre Peninsula.
Locations which may be affected include Adelaide, Wudinna, Cleve, Whyalla, Port Augusta, Port Pirie, Clare, Maitland, Murray Bridge, Roxby Downs and Leigh Creek.
A wind gust of 106 km/h was observed at Wudinna at 4:25 pm, with 25 mm of rain in 23 minutes.
A wind gust of 91 km/h was observed at Cleve at 5:55 pm with heavy rain.

#1403092 - 19/01/2017 19:06 Re: SA - Underhyped Trough with deep tropical moisture feed Rain & Storms HEAVY falls likely 18th-20th Jan 2017 [Re: Jet entrance]
Bolt Offline
Weather Freak

Look at that 3 frame beast go up south of Whyalla!!!

Not much going on here now. Cool breeze maybe because the sun is covered. Messy flat sky. Not holding hope for much at the moment.

#1403097 - 19/01/2017 19:39 Re: SA - Underhyped Trough with deep tropical moisture feed Rain & Storms HEAVY falls likely 18th-20th Jan 2017 [Re: Jet entrance]
Chris #3 Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Whoa there's a massive area that's turning into a duluge/not lightning active. Hope we get to see some good lightning frown

Since it's still pretty warm, could this go into the night? Like multiple rounds?

#1403098 - 19/01/2017 19:43 Re: SA - Underhyped Trough with deep tropical moisture feed Rain & Storms HEAVY falls likely 18th-20th Jan 2017 [Re: Jet entrance]
Eevo Offline
Weatherzone Addict

that radar is making me moist

#1403102 - 19/01/2017 19:56 Re: SA - Underhyped Trough with deep tropical moisture feed Rain & Storms HEAVY falls likely 18th-20th Jan 2017 [Re: Jet entrance]
Kezza34 Offline
Cloud Gazer

Loc: Modbury Heights SA
Hello first post on here!

Looking grey looking outside from my house in the Salisbury/Elizabeth areas.

#1403104 - 19/01/2017 20:04 Re: SA - Underhyped Trough with deep tropical moisture feed Rain & Storms HEAVY falls likely 18th-20th Jan 2017 [Re: Jet entrance]
puddles Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Reynella, SA
smile

Edited by puddles (19/01/2017 20:11)

#1403105 - 19/01/2017 20:04 Re: SA - Underhyped Trough with deep tropical moisture feed Rain & Storms HEAVY falls likely 18th-20th Jan 2017 [Re: Jet entrance]
Chris #3 Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Oh my goodness THOUSANDS OF DRAGONFLIES

THEY KNOW

Edited by Chris #3 (19/01/2017 20:05)

#1403107 - 19/01/2017 20:10 Re: SA - Underhyped Trough with deep tropical moisture feed Rain & Storms HEAVY falls likely 18th-20th Jan 2017 [Re: Jet entrance]
betsuin Offline
Weather Freak

Well those clouds certainly appear to be forming rain:

#1403109 - 19/01/2017 20:11 Re: SA - Underhyped Trough with deep tropical moisture feed Rain & Storms HEAVY falls likely 18th-20th Jan 2017 [Re: Jet entrance]
Jet entrance Offline
Weather Freak

The black is hail!!!
Elliot Goblet

#1403110 - 19/01/2017 20:13 Re: SA - Underhyped Trough with deep tropical moisture feed Rain & Storms HEAVY falls likely 18th-20th Jan 2017 [Re: Jet entrance]
Jet entrance Offline
Weather Freak

SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WARNING - ADELAIDE REGION

for DAMAGING WINDS, HEAVY RAINFALL and LARGE HAILSTONES

For people in the
Gawler,
Adelaide,
Playford and parts of the
Yankalilla council areas.

Issued at 7:38 pm Thursday, 19 January 2017.
The Bureau of Meteorology warns that, at 7:30 pm, severe thunderstorms were detected on the weather radar near Kadina, Maitland, Minlaton, Wallaroo, Port Victoria and Bute. These thunderstorms are moving towards the southeast. They are forecast to affect Henley Beach, Port Adelaide, Virginia, Angle Vale, Gawler and Adelaide CBD by 8:30 pm.
Damaging wind gusts in excess of 90 km/h and heavy rainfall that may lead to flash flooding are likely. Large hailstones are possible.
A 112 km/h wind gust was recorded at Warburto Point, near Wallaroo at approximately 7:15 pm.

#1403111 - 19/01/2017 20:15 Re: SA - Underhyped Trough with deep tropical moisture feed Rain & Storms HEAVY falls likely 18th-20th Jan 2017 [Re: Jet entrance]
teckert Offline
Weatherzone Moderator

The black is hail!!!

not always....

#1403114 - 19/01/2017 20:21 Re: SA - Underhyped Trough with deep tropical moisture feed Rain & Storms HEAVY falls likely 18th-20th Jan 2017 [Re: Jet entrance]
Things Offline
Meteorological Motor Mouth

Loc: Blair Athol, SA
Getting distant thunder here now .. lookin good grin

#1403115 - 19/01/2017 20:22 Re: SA - Underhyped Trough with deep tropical moisture feed Rain & Storms HEAVY falls likely 18th-20th Jan 2017 [Re: Jet entrance]
Kezza34 Offline
Cloud Gazer

Looking very grim out there in the Nothern suburbs! Just seen lighting on the coastline.

#1403118 - 19/01/2017 20:29 Re: SA - Underhyped Trough with deep tropical moisture feed Rain & Storms HEAVY falls likely 18th-20th Jan 2017 [Re: Jet entrance]
Chris #3 Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Here's the warning Map. Uploaded it to an imagehost for achieval purposes -

#1403119 - 19/01/2017 20:34 Re: SA - Underhyped Trough with deep tropical moisture feed Rain & Storms HEAVY falls likely 18th-20th Jan 2017 [Re: Jet entrance]
Things Offline

Chance of hail around the CBD? Looks like it's coming in pretty hot.

#1403121 - 19/01/2017 20:36 Re: SA - Underhyped Trough with deep tropical moisture feed Rain & Storms HEAVY falls likely 18th-20th Jan 2017 [Re: Jet entrance]
teckert Offline
Weatherzone Moderator

winds & flash flooding are the major concern.... not much hail in it.

#1403123 - 19/01/2017 20:37 Re: SA - Underhyped Trough with deep tropical moisture feed Rain & Storms HEAVY falls likely 18th-20th Jan 2017 [Re: Jet entrance]
Kezza34 Offline
Cloud Gazer

Question this isnt a supercell thunderstorm is it?

#1403124 - 19/01/2017 20:46 Re: SA - Underhyped Trough with deep tropical moisture feed Rain & Storms HEAVY falls likely 18th-20th Jan 2017 [Re: Jet entrance]
JohnC Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Adelaide, South Australia
Flashes around Modbury!

#1403126 - 19/01/2017 20:54 Re: SA - Underhyped Trough with deep tropical moisture feed Rain & Storms HEAVY falls likely 18th-20th Jan 2017 [Re: Jet entrance]
paisley Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Magill campus Uni SA (w) & Fir...
From Firle I can see that the northern suburbs are getting the lightning active goodies.

p

#1403127 - 19/01/2017 20:56 Re: SA - Underhyped Trough with deep tropical moisture feed Rain & Storms HEAVY falls likely 18th-20th Jan 2017 [Re: Jet entrance]
Chris #3 Offline
Weatherzone Addict

The wall cloud/guster-whatever was NUTS. Got some fantastic footage of it sweeping through,

#1403128 - 19/01/2017 20:57 Re: SA - Underhyped Trough with deep tropical moisture feed Rain & Storms HEAVY falls likely 18th-20th Jan 2017 [Re: Jet entrance]
saltspray Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: West Lakes Shore SA
Wow, they were not joking about severe weather. Super strong winds, clouds seemingly tree height, heavy rain with huge drops. No hail.
Lightning around but not here at my place and North West 3+ km estimate.

#1403131 - 19/01/2017 21:05 Re: SA - Underhyped Trough with deep tropical moisture feed Rain & Storms HEAVY falls likely 18th-20th Jan 2017 [Re: Jet entrance]
ThD Ht Offline
Weatherzone ratbag

Sitting down the mouth of the onkaparinga with TS getting smashed

TH

#1403134 - 19/01/2017 21:07 Re: SA - Underhyped Trough with deep tropical moisture feed Rain & Storms HEAVY falls likely 18th-20th Jan 2017 [Re: Jet entrance]
betsuin Offline
Weather Freak

Wow - the winds just hit! Ka-Bang!
Was watching the cloud come in just before - almost looked like a rotating base... I'll have to check the time-lapse after.

#1403135 - 19/01/2017 21:07 Re: SA - Underhyped Trough with deep tropical moisture feed Rain & Storms HEAVY falls likely 18th-20th Jan 2017 [Re: Jet entrance]
liz Offline
Wind Speed Queen

Loc: Near Victor Harbor S.A.
Muffled thunder previously but now quite frequent and a bit louder. No significant rain. No strong wind.

#1403136 - 19/01/2017 21:08 Re: SA - Underhyped Trough with deep tropical moisture feed Rain & Storms HEAVY falls likely 18th-20th Jan 2017 [Re: Jet entrance]
puddles Offline
Weather Freak

Strong wind. Lightning overhead. Rain isn't that heavy yet.

Edited by puddles (19/01/2017 21:12)

#1403137 - 19/01/2017 21:09 Re: SA - Underhyped Trough with deep tropical moisture feed Rain & Storms HEAVY falls likely 18th-20th Jan 2017 [Re: Jet entrance]
JohnC Offline
Weather Freak

Blowing like crazy and heavy rain at Modbury.

#1403138 - 19/01/2017 21:10 Re: SA - Underhyped Trough with deep tropical moisture feed Rain & Storms HEAVY falls likely 18th-20th Jan 2017 [Re: Jet entrance]
ThD Ht Offline
Weatherzone ratbag

Dunno about hail but the cell up north from where we
are was as green as grass, veichle being buffeted by
hardcore strong wind now

TH

#1403139 - 19/01/2017 21:10 Re: SA - Underhyped Trough with deep tropical moisture feed Rain & Storms HEAVY falls likely 18th-20th Jan 2017 [Re: Jet entrance]
puddles Offline
Weather Freak

Rain now heavy and lightning.

spelling correction

Edited by puddles (19/01/2017 21:11)

#1403140 - 19/01/2017 21:13 Re: SA - Underhyped Trough with deep tropical moisture feed Rain & Storms HEAVY falls likely 18th-20th Jan 2017 [Re: Jet entrance]
liz Offline
Wind Speed Queen

What a contrast ....Adelaide Airport 2030 hrs 60 knot gust - Hindmarsh Island gust 5 knots.(2030hrs)

#1403143 - 19/01/2017 21:18 Re: SA - Underhyped Trough with deep tropical moisture feed Rain & Storms HEAVY falls likely 18th-20th Jan 2017 [Re: liz]
Purnong Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Tooperang, SA
Originally Posted By: liz
What a contrast ....Adelaide Airport 2030 hrs 60 knot gust - Hindmarsh Island gust 5 knots.(2030hrs)

Still coming I think Liz, Calm here in Tooperang too
At the moment smile

#1403144 - 19/01/2017 21:18 Re: SA - Underhyped Trough with deep tropical moisture feed Rain & Storms HEAVY falls likely 18th-20th Jan 2017 [Re: Jet entrance]
ThD Ht Offline
Weatherzone ratbag

Oops, just remembered, in my rush to get away I forgot to
put the rainguage out, doh
Rain heavy lotsa wind I spose you,d call it hp, I,d be
more inclined to call it heavy medium.

TH

#1403145 - 19/01/2017 21:19 Re: SA - Underhyped Trough with deep tropical moisture feed Rain & Storms HEAVY falls likely 18th-20th Jan 2017 [Re: Jet entrance]
Eevo Offline
Weatherzone Addict

temps have appears to drop 10 degrees in 10min

#1403146 - 19/01/2017 21:19 Re: SA - Underhyped Trough with deep tropical moisture feed Rain & Storms HEAVY falls likely 18th-20th Jan 2017 [Re: Jet entrance]
Bolt Offline
Weather Freak

Noice!!!! lightning thunder. Cricket beers. Albiet not too much.

#1403147 - 19/01/2017 21:20 Re: SA - Underhyped Trough with deep tropical moisture feed Rain & Storms HEAVY falls likely 18th-20th Jan 2017 [Re: Jet entrance]
Eevo Offline
Weatherzone Addict

is that it?

#1403148 - 19/01/2017 21:22 Re: SA - Underhyped Trough with deep tropical moisture feed Rain & Storms HEAVY falls likely 18th-20th Jan 2017 [Re: Jet entrance]
betsuin Offline
Weather Freak

A United Arab Emirates 777 flying loops over Yorkes at the moment.

Edited by betsuin (19/01/2017 21:31)

#1403149 - 19/01/2017 21:24 Re: SA - Underhyped Trough with deep tropical moisture feed Rain & Storms HEAVY falls likely 18th-20th Jan 2017 [Re: Jet entrance]
ANGRE7 Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Craigmore
worst conditions ive driven in, and ive core punched a few storms before. that was intense!

#1403150 - 19/01/2017 21:25 Re: SA - Underhyped Trough with deep tropical moisture feed Rain & Storms HEAVY falls likely 18th-20th Jan 2017 [Re: Jet entrance]
Things Offline

Hmm, wasn't a whole lot in that, maybe more later?

#1403151 - 19/01/2017 21:26 Re: SA - Underhyped Trough with deep tropical moisture feed Rain & Storms HEAVY falls likely 18th-20th Jan 2017 [Re: Jet entrance]
Helen Offline

Absolutely going mental up here!!! shocked
Total 2016 - 637.2mm

#1403152 - 19/01/2017 21:28 Re: SA - Underhyped Trough with deep tropical moisture feed Rain & Storms HEAVY falls likely 18th-20th Jan 2017 [Re: Helen]
betsuin Offline
Weather Freak

Originally Posted By: Helen

Rain Radar shows the Gilbert Valley area getting hit - looks to be plenty of CG strikes as well.

#1403156 - 19/01/2017 21:36 Re: SA - Underhyped Trough with deep tropical moisture feed Rain & Storms HEAVY falls likely 18th-20th Jan 2017 [Re: Jet entrance]
hills Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Crafers SA
3.4mm and 52kph winds at Crafers so far.

Edited by hills (19/01/2017 21:36)

Phil

http://members.ozemail.com.au/~storerfamily/weather

#1403159 - 19/01/2017 21:41 Re: SA - Underhyped Trough with deep tropical moisture feed Rain & Storms HEAVY falls likely 18th-20th Jan 2017 [Re: betsuin]
Helen Offline

Originally Posted By: betsuin
Originally Posted By: Helen

Rain Radar shows the Gilbert Valley area getting hit - looks to be plenty of CG strikes as well.

Oh for sure!!! The sky is lit up like a flashing Xmas tree!!!
Lots of CCs, but have seen some pearler CGs. Power has fluctuated a few times, but so far we're in luck... and then there's the generators if it all goes to hell. wink
Total 2016 - 637.2mm

#1403161 - 19/01/2017 21:46 Re: SA - Underhyped Trough with deep tropical moisture feed Rain & Storms HEAVY falls likely 18th-20th Jan 2017 [Re: Jet entrance]
buggerthatwasclose Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: HILLBANK, S.A. 80m.asl- great ...
Gutters completely overwhelmed eek eased off a bit, just catching the last orange bit...
Edinburgh approx 27+mm, Little Para Res, up the Hill 28+mm and I'm bang in the middle of them cheers Not much with the initial lightning, mainly cc with a few bolts just to the left or right, will have a closer look soon, quite enjoyed that grin

John

Edited by buggerthatwasclose (19/01/2017 21:52)
Edit Reason: more rain

#1403162 - 19/01/2017 21:47 Re: SA - Underhyped Trough with deep tropical moisture feed Rain & Storms HEAVY falls likely 18th-20th Jan 2017 [Re: Jet entrance]
betsuin Offline
Weather Freak

Here is the time-lapse off of my roof:

#1403163 - 19/01/2017 21:47 Re: SA - Underhyped Trough with deep tropical moisture feed Rain & Storms HEAVY falls likely 18th-20th Jan 2017 [Re: Jet entrance]
JohnC Offline
Weather Freak

That was fun. Looks like most of the rest will pass north of the city?

#1403165 - 19/01/2017 21:50 Re: SA - Underhyped Trough with deep tropical moisture feed Rain & Storms HEAVY falls likely 18th-20th Jan 2017 [Re: Jet entrance]
liz Offline
Wind Speed Queen

Hi Purnong. Its a bit odd here. The tree branches had a bit of a dance due to gusty wind with rain then abruptly stopped.

#1403166 - 19/01/2017 21:52 Re: SA - Underhyped Trough with deep tropical moisture feed Rain & Storms HEAVY falls likely 18th-20th Jan 2017 [Re: Jet entrance]
ThD Ht Offline
Weatherzone ratbag

god i hope this hangs on, i wanna see galaxyman get
smashed otherwise well never hear the end of it.
and there's one drilling down on RS as well.
watch yer back RS.

TH

#1403167 - 19/01/2017 21:55 Re: SA - Underhyped Trough with deep tropical moisture feed Rain & Storms HEAVY falls likely 18th-20th Jan 2017 [Re: liz]
Purnong Offline
Weather Freak

Originally Posted By: liz
Hi Purnong. Its a bit odd here. The tree branches had a bit of a dance due to gusty wind with rain then abruptly stopped.

Same here Liz
Some relatively light rain, Not much wind and it's over
It might settle the dust for a day or so but nothing spectacular here

#1403169 - 19/01/2017 21:59 Re: SA - Underhyped Trough with deep tropical moisture feed Rain & Storms HEAVY falls likely 18th-20th Jan 2017 [Re: Jet entrance]
Bolt Offline
Weather Freak

Nice little event. Nothing out of the usual this time of year. Guessing five to ten mill for whyalla with some flashes and bang. Nothing to write home to Cairns about.

Edited by Bolt (19/01/2017 22:00)

#1403170 - 19/01/2017 22:02 Re: SA - Underhyped Trough with deep tropical moisture feed Rain & Storms HEAVY falls likely 18th-20th Jan 2017 [Re: Jet entrance]
Bolt Offline
Weather Freak

If even five mill. Are the weather burea that paranoid about summer storms? Normal little fella is normal.

Edited by Bolt (19/01/2017 22:03)

#1403172 - 19/01/2017 22:05 Re: SA - Underhyped Trough with deep tropical moisture feed Rain & Storms HEAVY falls likely 18th-20th Jan 2017 [Re: Jet entrance]
Bolt Offline
Weather Freak

Hang on.....two ml .Outside smells nice.

#1403173 - 19/01/2017 22:06 Re: SA - Underhyped Trough with deep tropical moisture feed Rain & Storms HEAVY falls likely 18th-20th Jan 2017 [Re: Jet entrance]
teckert Offline
Weatherzone Moderator

I think you will find that 100km/hr+ winds and flash flooding was entirely deserved of the warnings etc.... it doesnt need to happen at your house for it to be justified.

#1403177 - 19/01/2017 22:10 Re: SA - Underhyped Trough with deep tropical moisture feed Rain & Storms HEAVY falls likely 18th-20th Jan 2017 [Re: teckert]
Eevo Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Originally Posted By: teckert
it doesnt need to happen at your house for it to be justified.

yeah it does.
if the bom puts out a blanket warning like they do, i expect it to happen everywhere across their warning area.

otherwise its a low confidence warning cause they dont know where it will happen.

Edited by Eevo (19/01/2017 22:11)

#1403178 - 19/01/2017 22:12 Re: SA - Underhyped Trough with deep tropical moisture feed Rain & Storms HEAVY falls likely 18th-20th Jan 2017 [Re: Jet entrance]
Markus Offline
Weatherzone Moderator

Feel sorry for yall who missed out. It was one of the best chase days of my life. I rate today higher than December 7 2010.

Chased an absolute beast of a cell all the way from Kadina straight through to Auburn, keeping just ahead of it the whole time (except Port Wakefield where it overtook me briefly). Pics composition wise suck, but the structure was incredible. Then I corepunched it 10km west or so of Auburn with ferocious gusts, I can't give any guarantees as it was very dark but I estimate a peak gust at the back end of 120-140km/h that slammed through out of nowhere (take this with a grain of salt though). I have suspicions this wasn't an outflow dominant storm, it slowed right down before it hit and I suspect the winds at the back were RFD. Won't have any pics up until probably after the weekend!

The gustfront south of Kadina earlier was the beastiest I think I have seen in SA since December 7 2010, maybe Dec 17 2011 comes close.

#1403179 - 19/01/2017 22:19 Re: SA - Underhyped Trough with deep tropical moisture feed Rain & Storms HEAVY falls likely 18th-20th Jan 2017 [Re: teckert]
Purnong Offline
Weather Freak

It doesnt need to happen at your house for it to be justified.

I agree entirely and don't have a problem with the forecast
For the people that were affected it was entirely justified, For us that weren't I was happy to prepare for it just in case
I'm certainly not sad that I didn't get strong winds and heavy rain

#1403180 - 19/01/2017 22:20 Re: SA - Underhyped Trough with deep tropical moisture feed Rain & Storms HEAVY falls likely 18th-20th Jan 2017 [Re: Markus]
Chris #3 Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Originally Posted By: Markus
It was one of the best chase days of my life. I rate today higher than December 7 2010.

Chased an absolute beast of a cell all the way from Kadina straight through to Auburn, keeping just ahead of it the whole time (except Port Wakefield where it overtook me briefly). Pics composition wise suck, but the structure was incredible. Then I corepunched it 10km west or so of Auburn with ferocious gusts, I can't give any guarantees as it was very dark but I estimate a peak gust at the back end of 120-140km/h that slammed through out of nowhere (take this with a grain of salt though). I have suspicions this wasn't an outflow dominant storm, it slowed right down before it hit and I suspect the winds at the back were RFD. Won't have any pics up until probably after the weekend!

Fwoar that sounds amazing. Look forward to checking out your report.

I did a backyard chase. Was better than expected. Maybe not as much lightning but getting smashed was fun. Def. in my top 3 semaphore/coastish gusters.

#1403181 - 19/01/2017 22:22 Re: SA - Underhyped Trough with deep tropical moisture feed Rain & Storms HEAVY falls likely 18th-20th Jan 2017 [Re: Jet entrance]
Galaxyman Offline
Weather Freak

Went to take out the rubbish and there are distant flashes along my western horizon.

#1403182 - 19/01/2017 22:29 Re: SA - Underhyped Trough with deep tropical moisture feed Rain & Storms HEAVY falls likely 18th-20th Jan 2017 [Re: Eevo]
Chris #3 Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Originally Posted By: Eevo
it doesnt need to happen at your house for it to be justified.

yeah it does.
if the bom puts out a blanket warning like they do, i expect it to happen everywhere across their warning area.

otherwise its a low confidence warning cause they dont know where it will happen.

If they had to put warnings out for only areas that -100%- were effected by the events in the title - it'd be like a Picasso, little bits here and there shaded in. Maybe 10-15 separate, smaller warning areas.

Would be a hugely complex task, and the number of 'misses' would be significant, which means people getting severe weather without a warning - which is bad.

Since we like severe weather it's disappointing when it doesn't happen after a SWW. Gotta remember that the purpose of them is for safety rather than 'christmas is coming'.

#1403183 - 19/01/2017 22:31 Re: SA - Underhyped Trough with deep tropical moisture feed Rain & Storms HEAVY falls likely 18th-20th Jan 2017 [Re: Jet entrance]
Werner K Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Flinders Park, SA
We positioned ourselves at the SE corner of the airport. Clouds were quite incredible.

Saw some CG's off to our west although reasonably distant. Closer ones were seen to our north. Of course none captured on the camera, but I was satisfied with capturing the guster or whatever it's called.

When it hit, it hit with brutal force. The grass was flattened to the ground. The tree behind us was copping a belting. Not overly much rain.

On the way home, stopped off near the skate park to watch EK440 (Emirates 777-300ER) land, she was waving about a bit just before she passed us on the way to touchdown..

Recorded about 4.2mm rain at home.

#1403184 - 19/01/2017 22:32 Re: SA - Underhyped Trough with deep tropical moisture feed Rain & Storms HEAVY falls likely 18th-20th Jan 2017 [Re: Chris #3]
Eevo Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Originally Posted By: Chris #3
- it'd be like a Picasso, little bits here and there shaded in.

haha, i like this statement.

#1403185 - 19/01/2017 22:35 Re: SA - Underhyped Trough with deep tropical moisture feed Rain & Storms HEAVY falls likely 18th-20th Jan 2017 [Re: Jet entrance]
Ryan Hothersall Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Gulfview Heights, South Austra...
Was out near Outer Harbour when it hit. Strong wind, rain and plenty of lightning.

Here in Gulfview heights, 15.8 mm rain so far and a gust of 60 km/h at 8:28 PM. Feels quite tropical outside now. Good to get accustomed to it for a trip to cairns.

#1403187 - 19/01/2017 22:36 Re: SA - Underhyped Trough with deep tropical moisture feed Rain & Storms HEAVY falls likely 18th-20th Jan 2017 [Re: Jet entrance]
Weather Guru Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Strongish winds whipped up some dust in the air, lots of thunder and lightning.
downpour overflowed our gutters. rain was heavy but nothing over the top.
16.5 mm from that lot, so from one storm were already inside my elizabeth forecasting boundaries of 15 - 25mm, and i'd expect another rumble or two over night and tomorow morning.
It certainly is humid....
ready for the next round smile

Jan 44.1 mm
Feb 24.6 mm
Mar 3.6 mm
Apr 44.7 mm
May 39.6 mm
June 14.4 mm
July 73.5 mm
Aug 8.7 mm
Sep
Oct
Nov
Dec
2017 YTD 253.2 mm
2016 571
2015 369.5
2014 460.5
2013 504
2012 417
2011 598.5
2010 553

#1403193 - 19/01/2017 22:52 Re: SA - Underhyped Trough with deep tropical moisture feed Rain & Storms HEAVY falls likely 18th-20th Jan 2017 [Re: Werner K]
Trim Tab Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Mount Osmond, Adelaide, South ...
Originally Posted By: Werner K
On the way home, stopped off near the skate park to watch EK440 (Emirates 777-300ER) land, she was waving about a bit just before she passed us on the way to touchdown.

I was monitoring it on FlightRadar24 and saw it make a diversion down south to turn and follow the coast and other traffic onto RWY05, but the gust front beat it. They nicked off to the west to wait it out for a bit before returning once the worst had passed.

Exciting watching the gust front approach the city and NE suburbs from Mt Osmond. Power transformers exploding in a moving arc across Hackney through to Payneham, from falling branches I guess. Lightning was further out and probably not involved. Then a few minutes later I got blown inside - amazed I wasn't followed by big bits of gumtree.

#1403194 - 19/01/2017 23:04 Re: SA - Underhyped Trough with deep tropical moisture feed Rain & Storms HEAVY falls likely 18th-20th Jan 2017 [Re: Jet entrance]
StormCapture Offline
Weatherzone Addict

One of the best shelfies I've seen for Adelaide in my life. Very impressive storm tho as well, in the top 5 for sure and would have to put this higher than December 7 2010, was close to Jan 7 2012 but more windier, rain almost the same tho but this one also had more lightning in it as well.

Max gust of 104 was recorded
27.2mm and a rain rate of 177.4

Expecting some more rain tonight so hopefully be nice to wake to another 10mm overnight.

#1403198 - 19/01/2017 23:53 Re: SA - Underhyped Trough with deep tropical moisture feed Rain & Storms HEAVY falls likely 18th-20th Jan 2017 [Re: Jet entrance]
betsuin Offline
Weather Freak

Leigh Creek 11mm in about 15min a little while ago:
19/10:44pm 2.0mm
19/11:00pm 13mm

Clare as well a bit earlier:
19/08:30pm 0.6mm
19/09:00pm 11.2mm

Edited by betsuin (19/01/2017 23:56)

#1403199 - 20/01/2017 00:01 Re: SA - Underhyped Trough with deep tropical moisture feed Rain & Storms HEAVY falls likely 18th-20th Jan 2017 [Re: Jet entrance]
Thunderstruck Offline
Lightning man

Well that was interesting, spent the time down at Onkaparinga Rivermouth with TH and another friend, took its time to get going, few bolts firing off more W on bottom end of line before sky darkened and revealed a couple more further N and could make our guster developing. It had a LOT more meat and green to it back towards the city and N suburbs than the fragmented scraps we had down south. Hardly any lightning and rain started so we pulled away the cameras and 10 seconds later a ripper bolt. Bloody typical. Got back to car, guster kept forming up to be half decent with odd flicker from crawler above our heads before it hit with fairly strong winds and a brief sandblasting. Solid but nothing on the Rememberance Day storm outflow. Felt very disappointed by lack of clean bolts but they were for the North this time!

Bit more messy showers coming withodd isol thunderstorm amongst but infreq bolts. Nice to hear rain again. Certainly a powerful storm but not down south. Overall was like a weaker version of the great Australia Day beast of 1995.

TS cool

#1403202 - 20/01/2017 00:26 Re: SA - Underhyped Trough with deep tropical moisture feed Rain & Storms HEAVY falls likely 18th-20th Jan 2017 [Re: Jet entrance]
Galaxyman Offline
Weather Freak

Very heavy rain here atm, geez absolutely slamming down. Very humid outside. No lightning, looks like it all died right in the ass just as I predicted but what else is new.

At least we are not getting Mt Gambier's and the LSE/Southern Vic's subarctic wankfest, no storms with bloody ridiculous cold.

And I saw a flash out my window as I typed that.

Edited by Galaxyman (20/01/2017 00:28)

#1403205 - 20/01/2017 00:40 Re: SA - Underhyped Trough with deep tropical moisture feed Rain & Storms HEAVY falls likely 18th-20th Jan 2017 [Re: Jet entrance]
Galaxyman Offline
Weather Freak

Looks like Adelaide is gonna get another epic assault. looks like it's all over for here. No lightning ,all died a miserable ass death as per freaking usual. Standard, standard, standard. mad mad mad

#1403208 - 20/01/2017 00:57 Re: SA - Underhyped Trough with deep tropical moisture feed Rain & Storms HEAVY falls likely 18th-20th Jan 2017 [Re: Jet entrance]
Pooley72 Offline
Cloud Gazer

Very jealous of some of the reports that have been submitted here.
Watched the storm come rolling in here just after 20:20. Went from very still to very windy in a flash (pun intended).
PWS recorded a gust of 80.3 Km/h at 20:32 with sustained speeds of 61.2. Temp dropped from 34.2 (20:28) to 24 (21:03), humidity went from 30% to 80% in 5 minutes (20:28-20:33) shocked and then steadily rose to 98% since then but only a miserly 2mm of rainfall to 22:30 with another mm or so since then.
A few (generally silent) CC's and not very many CG's seen or heard. Rolling cloud was impressive to observe. Winds dropped back to less than 10 km/h since 21:00. Few trees down in nearby area according to AlertSA. Power stayed on the whole time although about 23:45 the lights did flicker and most of the neighbourhood around me appears to be without power but we are soldiering with full supply. Must be a phase or two dropped but not the phase that we are on :biggrin:
No mention of Seacliff Park having an issue on SAPN website, nearest reported outage is next suburb over (Seaview Downs).

Looking forward to seeing the pics from those that have them.

Aug:
Sep:
Oct:
Nov:
Dec:

#1403210 - 20/01/2017 02:04 Re: SA - Underhyped Trough with deep tropical moisture feed Rain & Storms HEAVY falls likely 18th-20th Jan 2017 [Re: Jet entrance]
Galaxyman Offline
Weather Freak

Well, the "likely" thunderstorms never happened, all died right in its goddamned pooey bunghole the moment any lightning made itself visible, same old story, same old running gag that has been the cabaret this summer, all and sundry collapsing into a massive conurbation of regurgitated bovine dung the second it hits here. December 28 all over again.

Bite me BOM, the likely funderstorms were nothing but 5 minutes of rain. HERP DE DERP I PREDICTED THE FIZZZERRRRR BEFORE IT EVEN BEGAN AND LIKE USUAL I WAS RIGHT UNLIKE THE WINDOWLESS SUPERCOMPUTER BASEMENT AT TEH BOM

#1403213 - 20/01/2017 03:11 Re: SA - Underhyped Trough with deep tropical moisture feed Rain & Storms HEAVY falls likely 18th-20th Jan 2017 [Re: Galaxyman]
Chris #3 Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Was a tricky one to forecast until the last minute - I'd give them an 8/10 on this one. Got the gist right pretty early on and stuck with it despite models diverging. Absolutely sucks that some missed out.

Quote:
The storm rolls in at Largs Bay. Picture: Dion Clayton

A fine Guster indeed. Not my photo - credited to Dion Clayton found on advertiser site.

#1403215 - 20/01/2017 05:26 Re: SA - Underhyped Trough with deep tropical moisture feed Rain & Storms HEAVY falls likely 18th-20th Jan 2017 [Re: Galaxyman]
ThD Ht Offline
Weatherzone ratbag

had the aircon going home, when i stepped out of the
vehicle it was like stepping into a sauna with RH
in the high 80s and 24
checking radar archive reynella got bugger all, concrete
was still dry under the trees, TS and i were on the top edge
of the southern cell that went all the way to cape jarvis,
aldinga copped the best core, that green cell to the north
that we could see was the gawler cell and was hard core,
prolly be something on the news about that one tonight.

At least we are not getting Mt Gambier's and the LSE/Southern Vic's subarctic wankfest, no storms with bloody ridiculous cold.

as far as heat and southerlies go so you damnwell
shouldn't being several hundred Ks north and further
inland, you may as well draw your comparason to tasmania,
the difference is much greater there.
BTW, the lower southeast which runs from about
bordertown/keith down did a lot better for storms than
you did. poke

Puddles, how much rain did you get in that first pass of the
storm around 9:00pm?

TH

#1403217 - 20/01/2017 06:31 Re: SA - Underhyped Trough with deep tropical moisture feed Rain & Storms HEAVY falls likely 18th-20th Jan 2017 [Re: Jet entrance]
Weather Guru Offline
Weatherzone Addict

16.5 ,,from the main storm.
10.5 mm from lingering showers

27 mm total so far
Ohh and it's raining again as i type.

It's still muggy inside.
a nicer cooler day for work to be done.

Jan 44.1 mm
Feb 24.6 mm
Mar 3.6 mm
Apr 44.7 mm
May 39.6 mm
June 14.4 mm
July 73.5 mm
Aug 8.7 mm
Sep
Oct
Nov
Dec
2017 YTD 253.2 mm
2016 571
2015 369.5
2014 460.5
2013 504
2012 417
2011 598.5
2010 553

#1403231 - 20/01/2017 08:17 Re: SA - Underhyped Trough with deep tropical moisture feed Rain & Storms HEAVY falls likely 18th-20th Jan 2017 [Re: Jet entrance]
betsuin Offline
Weather Freak

22mm in my gauge this morning.

#1403232 - 20/01/2017 08:18 Re: SA - Underhyped Trough with deep tropical moisture feed Rain & Storms HEAVY falls likely 18th-20th Jan 2017 [Re: Jet entrance]
teckert Offline
Weatherzone Moderator

34mm at Valley View. 50.5mm MTD.

#1403237 - 20/01/2017 09:05 Re: SA - Underhyped Trough with deep tropical moisture feed Rain & Storms HEAVY falls likely 18th-20th Jan 2017 [Re: Jet entrance]
Werner K Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Flinders Park, SA
19.6mm at Flinders Park.

#1403239 - 20/01/2017 09:27 Re: SA - Underhyped Trough with deep tropical moisture feed Rain & Storms HEAVY falls likely 18th-20th Jan 2017 [Re: Jet entrance]
StormCapture Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Total rain 47.4mm, had 27.4mm before midnight and another 20mm since.

#1403246 - 20/01/2017 09:57 Re: SA - Underhyped Trough with deep tropical moisture feed Rain & Storms HEAVY falls likely 18th-20th Jan 2017 [Re: Jet entrance]
red earth Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Lockleys, Adelaide
That was pretty scary stuff wind wise down here around 8.30 last night. Stobie pole out the front on Henley Beach Rd moving around in the gale and when I see that the airport had a couple of gusts of 111km/h at that time I can see why.

#1403248 - 20/01/2017 10:06 Re: SA - Underhyped Trough with deep tropical moisture feed Rain & Storms HEAVY falls likely 18th-20th Jan 2017 [Re: Jet entrance]
Jet entrance Offline
Weather Freak

Wow!! Whilst the southern areas of Adelaide (including me) got bugger all (3.4mm) some other areas copped it full on!!

From Adelaide Now..

Fantastic reports, looking forward to some more pics smile

Edited by Jet entrance (20/01/2017 10:08)
Elliot Goblet

#1403250 - 20/01/2017 10:14 Re: SA - Underhyped Trough with deep tropical moisture feed Rain & Storms HEAVY falls likely 18th-20th Jan 2017 [Re: Jet entrance]
Jet entrance Offline
Weather Freak

Power outages across the state...

Elliot Goblet

#1403252 - 20/01/2017 10:18 Re: SA - Underhyped Trough with deep tropical moisture feed Rain & Storms HEAVY falls likely 18th-20th Jan 2017 [Re: Jet entrance]
Jet entrance Offline
Weather Freak

Looks like Adelaide metro ended up with the biggest storm of the whole state, pretty amazing considering some thought we wouldn't see one at all, beautiful stuff.

Another round to come Sunday night/Monday morning.
Elliot Goblet

#1403258 - 20/01/2017 10:26 Re: SA - Underhyped Trough with deep tropical moisture feed Rain & Storms HEAVY falls likely 18th-20th Jan 2017 [Re: Jet entrance]
roves Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Paringa-Riverland
18mm for me but no storms just solid rain.

#1403262 - 20/01/2017 10:33 Re: SA - Underhyped Trough with deep tropical moisture feed Rain & Storms HEAVY falls likely 18th-20th Jan 2017 [Re: Jet entrance]
Markus Offline
Weatherzone Moderator

A teaser from me and a snippet of the strongest gust I got on video. I deliberately clipped this video to start before the gusts hit, as the gust front had already gone past me a few minutes earlier, this came out of nowhere as the back of the storm came through!!
The brief but very intense gust happens around the 55 second mark. This storm literally turned day into night. Probably the heaviest rain I have seen also, cameras can see extremely well through rain, at the height of it visibility was nil! When I say the car is moving, I don't mean just rocking, it felt like it was going to get slid across the road. I was balancing the camera on the steering wheel and you can see just how much the car lurched with the gust.
And a pic of the line as it slowed down and developed near Balaklava, the actual cell I punched was RAPIDLY developing to the north, some rather wild inflow into this storm. It was perfect where it slowed down, it had initially overtaken me at Port Wakefield, but I managed to get far enough ahead to appreciate the full structure.

A language warning for this video, I swear a fair bit in it so if you don't like swearing don't watch poke

#1403270 - 20/01/2017 11:12 Re: SA - Underhyped Trough with deep tropical moisture feed Rain & Storms HEAVY falls likely 18th-20th Jan 2017 [Re: Jet entrance]
Thunderstruck Offline
Lightning man

10.6mm to 9am in Seaford Meadows. Bit ordinary! North wins this one like Dec 28.

Crazy stuff Mark!! love the road shot as well.

TS cool

Edited by Thunderstruck (20/01/2017 11:12)

#1403342 - 20/01/2017 18:17 Re: SA - Underhyped Trough with deep tropical moisture feed Rain & Storms HEAVY falls likely 18th-20th Jan 2017 [Re: Jet entrance]
ThD Ht Offline
Weatherzone ratbag

after getting home from being smashed at the onkaparinga
outlet i put the rainguage out to catch any remminants
of rain that might pass over and then promptly
went to bed.
this morning when i got ready for work i found 22.7mm in
the tube, i have a tile roof and it did wake me up around
midnightish which means it was freakin heavy but i was
too tired to get up and check. in hind sight i should have
but i checked the radar archive and it confirmed i got
well and truly bollocked.

TH

#1403358 - 20/01/2017 19:42 Re: SA - Underhyped Trough with deep tropical moisture feed Rain & Storms HEAVY falls likely 18th-20th Jan 2017 [Re: Thunderstruck]
Max Record Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Adelaide

Bit more messy showers coming withodd isol thunderstorm amongst but infreq bolts. Nice to hear rain again. Certainly a powerful storm but not down south. Overall was like a weaker version of the great Australia Day beast of 1995.

TS cool

I notice that the record from that day for highest wind gust for January at Adelaide Airport was broken (59 yrs of record, was 104, now 111)

Another nice drop for me, 51.6 - I'm only 16.4mm away from breaking the historical figure I calculated for the summer rainfall total
2014: 450.4mm
2013: 470.6mm
2012: 426.8mm
2011: 518.2mm
2010: 549.4mm
2009: 459.2mm
Yearly Average: 460mm

#1403360 - 20/01/2017 19:48 Re: SA - Underhyped Trough with deep tropical moisture feed Rain & Storms HEAVY falls likely 18th-20th Jan 2017 [Re: Jet entrance]
Ryan Hothersall Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Gulfview Heights, South Austra...
Here is what I got from this system here in Gulfview Heights.

Jan 18: 0.0 mm
Jan 19: 16.6 mm
Jan 20: 17.8 mm

Total: 34.4 mm

#1403379 - 20/01/2017 21:02 Re: SA - Underhyped Trough with deep tropical moisture feed Rain & Storms HEAVY falls likely 18th-20th Jan 2017 [Re: Jet entrance]
StormCapture Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Our record of 106 just is a bit too shy of wanting to be broken
Davis raw broken tho at 82, Max was 79 however it's not well secured for the western and NW side as of position but secured other directions so needs to be secured on those directions.

Raw is what the console read, sent through cumulus to read at 10m

Anyway this January is now our wettest on record, 67.2mm, prev 61.4mm

#1403381 - 20/01/2017 21:10 Re: SA - Underhyped Trough with deep tropical moisture feed Rain & Storms HEAVY falls likely 18th-20th Jan 2017 [Re: Jet entrance]
rstewart84 Offline
Weatherzone Addict

As Thunda said the LSE did better in terms of the storms last night with rainfalls being between 20-30 mm in some areas even though it didn't quite top the 3 straight days of storms we had in the early 2000's the light show was damned impressive it definitely cured storm deprivation syndrome for a little while

#1403527 - 21/01/2017 17:24 Re: SA - Underhyped Trough with deep tropical moisture feed Rain & Storms HEAVY falls likely 18th-20th Jan 2017 [Re: Jet entrance]
red earth Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Lockleys, Adelaide
Wow!! Whilst the southern areas of Adelaide (including me) got bugger all (3.4mm) some other areas copped it full on!!

From Adelaide Now..

Fantastic reports, looking forward to some more pics smile

Just realised, seeing the address in this morning's paper, that is the home and (was) the car of a very dear friend.

#1403531 - 21/01/2017 17:30 Re: SA - Underhyped Trough with deep tropical moisture feed Rain & Storms HEAVY falls likely 18th-20th Jan 2017 [Re: Jet entrance]
ThD Ht Offline
Weatherzone ratbag

we can all be thankful they were not in it at the time.

TH

#1403538 - 21/01/2017 17:45 Re: SA - Underhyped Trough with deep tropical moisture feed Rain & Storms HEAVY falls likely 18th-20th Jan 2017 [Re: Jet entrance]
Skysthelimit Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Gladstone Sth Aust

Hi everyone. I went for a drive up to Mt Remarkable for the event. I could see some ripper cells developing in clear air but unfortunately I got there 30 mins too late for the best pics frown . Had a great time and witnessed some huge dumpers. One cell came directly at me, climbing over the mountain before spilling water everywhere. They were reasonably slow moving so I could always keep ahead of them. No luck with the lightning shots again. When I got back home there was plenty but by then mostly rain embedded frown

[/URL]][/url]

[/URL]][/url]

[/URL]][/url]

[/URL]][/url]

[/URL]][/url]

[/URL]][/url]

[/URL]][/url]

[/URL]][/url]

[/URL]][/url]

#1403550 - 21/01/2017 18:49 Re: SA - Underhyped Trough with deep tropical moisture feed Rain & Storms HEAVY falls likely 18th-20th Jan 2017 [Re: Jet entrance]
ThD Ht Offline
Weatherzone ratbag

some nice looking stuff there StL, pity you didn't have
a nice big fat guster like down south.
slow moving makes life easier to chase.
no. 5 and 8 are my favs.

TH

#1405192 - 03/02/2017 22:01 Re: SA - Underhyped Trough with deep tropical moisture feed Rain & Storms HEAVY falls likely 18th-20th Jan 2017 [Re: Jet entrance]
Chris #3 Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Just a couple videos so far. The front hitting from my house and a swarm of dragonflies.

Edited by Chris #3 (03/02/2017 22:02)

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Moderator:  Helen, Lindsay Knowles, Markus, teckert 
Who's Online
7 registered (liberator, Foehn Correspondent, EddyG, Wave Rider, Barronriver, Mathew, 1 invisible), 284 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Today's Birthdays
Caldoche, David Obeid, desblair, Morrisjub, rmj007, rummy21, StormQueen
Forum Stats
29343 Members
32 Forums
23662 Topics
1458804 Posts

Max Online: 2925 @ 02/02/2011 22:23
Satellite Image