Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#1424459 - 28/05/2017 00:14 Re: 2017 U.S. Severe Weather season [Re: Asturai]
Ruckle Offline
Meteorological Motor Mouth

Loc: Woodend VIC 579m ASL - where w...
On 21st May headed to central Eastern parts of New Mexico which is always promising from a pretty point of view. As usual the photos don't quite do the scenes justice but was pretty impressive. These storms were all warned at one stage or another for straight line winds and or hail and were heading SE which makes for odd positioning at times.

#1424460 - 28/05/2017 00:14 Re: 2017 U.S. Severe Weather season [Re: Asturai]
Ruckle Offline

The next day the 22nd was heaps of fun also in New Mexico but a little further south. After watching some storms try and fail initially around Hobbs and bumping into Clyve and Jane I headed towards a storm east and then SE of Roswell. I did not see any UFO's but did watch a magnificent storm that became tornado warned (though it did not produce a tornado just rotated). Truly epic site over the desert. It actually split as it headed SE. Eastern storm before it fizzled looked like this

The western and soon to be warned storm is below

[img]http://i.imgur.com/5Hlfz8n.jpg?1[/img] I edited this so only have link

I did get a few dents from the hail at the right of this shot

Back of the storm

Edited by Ruckle (28/05/2017 00:20)

#1424461 - 28/05/2017 00:46 Re: 2017 U.S. Severe Weather season [Re: Asturai]
Ruckle Offline

Spent a couple of days in New Mexico and Southern Colorado spectacular scenery. On Thursday 25th I headed to Yuma CO and found this storm which I tracked into NW Kansas, it did produce a brief tornado near the border and I hope my video caught it, though on first glance there is lots of swearing, fumbling about and side of car hill shots! Other notable event was the shear frequency of lightning allowed me to get to reasonable lightning flukes without a tripod or a timer etc. Just clicking away.

Colorado

Weak rotation at this time

STW at this point

In Kansas now, WNW of St Francis, above mentioned fumbling around has already occurred, was T warned still at this time but I think was just reorganising

Further east

#1424463 - 28/05/2017 00:49 Re: 2017 U.S. Severe Weather season [Re: Asturai]
Ruckle Offline

Yesterday elected to not have a repeat show in NE CO and instead drove to E OK, had hoped for a random decent storm here as there was a weak surface boundary. It did occur but not till around 10pm. Was quite a light show for a little while but was never warned.

Today, 27th, still sitting in hotel posting all this and waiting to see where boundary sets up as opposed to where models say it will..

#1424464 - 28/05/2017 01:47 Re: 2017 U.S. Severe Weather season [Re: Asturai]
Thunderstruck Offline
Lightning man

Loc: Seaford Meadows, SA
Awesome images Ruckle!!!

Yea yesterday was a funny one, the far NE CO option indeed did fire properly with meh choice being not much more than a weak isolated thunderstorm....so would have had to abandon it for the supercell further N.....and wouldn't have had any trouble given the damn thing lasted abut 10-11 hours lol and ploughed well into KS.

But today is looking rather frightening to be honest...some of the numbers of RAW instability are absolutely off the charts literally....even the HRRR scales don't go this high. Have seen some SBCAPE's getting around in order of 8800J/Kg with MLCAPE pushing 7300J/Kg....come on that's just SILLY!!! that's bloody illegal!!! Throw in a well capped environment and you have the absolute classic loaded gun in it's highest order. When the cap is broken and if does break late afternoon, the updrafts are going to get registered on the Moh's scale....ROCK hard nuclear explosions. All this with BIG dynamic forcing aloft, only modest by Plain's standards but wow....instability eat your heart out.

So we have a nice low forming over OK moving east with a cold front pushing in from the west and a dryline extending south ahead of this. A nice triple point should be setup across far NE OK. Now also looks like we will have a nice OFB moving S-SSE from earlier activity that gets up over SE KS and this boundary will fire off storms along it or anything that is already going down the dryline that crosses it will probably go nuts and put down a big nader. The angles are not as juicy with sfc winds being more SW-S rather than SE however we do have more W-E to even ESE steering flow aloft so the overall vectors are consistent to produce big rotating supercells and potential for violent long-tracked tornadoes. SPC have gone as far as mentioning a historic supercell from 1997! which was the last time instability was so high.

So for me, a tough day to chase, but in setups like this you have to play close attention to the triple point but with added watch of that big OFB....and will discrete storms further S down the dryline be juicier? down into S OK. Probably taller with hail to 5 inches....insane!!! So triple point play will be with myself sitting down the dryline a bit from it, given the steer allowing more south distance is ok.... won't have to go forest chasing into MO but that does appear possible atm. HRRR also initiates some earlier convection by mid arvo across NE OK which may change the ball game! lot of sky watching tomorrow I think!

But target area around Calvin in C to E OK as I don't want to be caught moving south, south, south all day to keep ahead of this flying boundary as it really moves...discrete beasts and latch onto one and see how they behave with approaching boundary.

TS cool

#1424512 - 28/05/2017 18:36 Re: 2017 U.S. Severe Weather season [Re: Asturai]
ozone doug Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Roma SW QLD Eye to the West...
Nice work Ruckle .Love to see the nice stuff you guy get to watch.

#1425845 - 13/06/2017 01:15 Re: 2017 U.S. Severe Weather season [Re: Asturai]
Thunderstruck Offline
Lightning man

Loc: Seaford Meadows, SA
Well finally a decent day looks after weeks of nothing or not much. Certainly not much in the tornado department. Models had been very keen on this strong upper trough over the N plains for a solid week and a half and it has come to fruitition. Strong 60-70knot mid to upper flow with decent LLJ coming in late. Big lift and fairly good shear/CAPE balance so hopefully things hold discrete. I'll target Lusk WY and go from there as roads are good out of town. Potential for a couple of strong tornadoes so could be rather interesting!

TS cool

Edited by Thunderstruck (13/06/2017 01:15)

#1426642 - 25/06/2017 15:11 Re: 2017 U.S. Severe Weather season [Re: Asturai]
Ruckle Offline

27 May 2017. This was the day mentioned above by TS. Huge day in terms of numbers etc. Started in E OK in Muskogee, was absurdly hot day with DP's approaching 80f. Truly disgusting. Mid arvo had drifted to NE of Tulsa surprisingly prolonged clear slot broke through the stratus. Result was an amazing explosion in the NE of the state. Without the word of a lie it went from fair weather cu to huge cells within approx. 15 mins.

I was essentially right next to it. This is a shot about 20 mins after the cap broke. Not sure why its just a link

[img]http://i.imgur.com/KaEA9Wd.jpg?1[/img]

The storms immediately started expanding SW and under every new expansion a lowering would appear similar to this below but nothing more happened. Storm report shows a couple a tornadoes in SC OK that day but hours after dark as cap there was even larger.

After realising I was out of luck in the NE and darkness descending I headed southward down hilly and leafy Eastern OK, just on nightfall got in front of this storm near Jay OK. Pretty amazing outflow not long after this lightning backed snap was taken.

All in all disappointing day in some ways but will not easily forget how quick it all went up. Later that night whilst dodging Tornado warned storms I was heading east toward Arkansas in driving fog with the temp at 82f!!! Caught a ripper of a storm after midnight in Fort Smith Arkansas to complete the day

Edited by Ruckle (25/06/2017 15:12)

#1426644 - 25/06/2017 15:53 Re: 2017 U.S. Severe Weather season [Re: Asturai]
Ruckle Offline

31 May 2017 After a couple of days of non storm related fun in Lawrence KS and Lincoln NE I headed west on an interesting weather day. Boundary was laying west to east across northern Kansas toward a weak low and I guess weak triple point in E and NE Colorado.

Interesting and unusual feature was early for the US, late morning convection north of the boundary in SC Nebraska. Looked like this.

Got to the Yuma area in Colorado around mid arvo, some lumpy agitated cu in the area with upslope winds. Eventually some downward and upward growth started happening

As is often the case in these parts the storm developed into a pretty decent and severe warned hailer.

#1426645 - 25/06/2017 15:59 Re: 2017 U.S. Severe Weather season [Re: Asturai]
Ruckle Offline

1 June 2017, not technically a chase day but was in Boulder Colorado and storms started to move off the high country.

Cell coming just from behind the flatirons there (the really dark bit ) produced a fantastic deluge on the south side of town (this view is to the SW). Got off roof after this snap as a few bolts were flying around and was to chicken to stay on roof

Cheers

#1426650 - 25/06/2017 18:03 Re: 2017 U.S. Severe Weather season [Re: Asturai]
ozone doug Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Roma SW QLD Eye to the West...
Nice work Ruckle . love it .

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Who's Online
12 registered (Kino, Raindammit, Sidney, RC, kizz, Remy, samboz, DNO, BIG T, 3 invisible), 292 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Today's Birthdays
Andrew GM, frazzel12
Forum Stats
29370 Members
32 Forums
23685 Topics
1462432 Posts

Max Online: 2925 @ 02/02/2011 22:23
Satellite Image