Topic Options
#1405874 - 07/02/2017 11:35 I know why it's dry in the East, and I have A fix.
Bone Dry Offline
Cloud Gazer

Loc: Wolvi
Iíve worked out why itís so dry in the east at the moment.

This morning I was standing outside looking at the sky and watching with exasperation as a near continuous blanket of the darkest, heaviest moisture bearing cloud youíve ever seen drifted tantalisingly, low and slow, across the sky above meÖÖ and not a drop of rain in it, not even a mist.

Then, like an epiphany of biblical proportions it hit me...the lack of rain has nothing to do with any ridge, SST anomaly, nor any of that El Nano/La Nono rubbish.

Itís Gravity, or more specifically the lack thereof. We just donít have enough gravity anymore to pull the rain out of the clouds, simple as that.

What could be the cause of such a drop in gravity...digging too much stuff out of the ground...pretty obvious really when you think about it.

So then, the way I see it, the only way weíre going to fix this dry spell is by getting stuff back into the ground and the heavier the better.

It doesnít, I suppose, even have to go back into the ground, we just need to find things that are of sufficient mass density, relocate them to the middle of the affected area, and I reckon thatíll start sucking the rain out of those pesky clouds soon enough, if there are any.

But! I can hear you asking, where do we get all this heavy stuff from?

Iím not really sure at the moment; the only thing I can think of is Cory Bernardisí burgeoning level of self-importance along with his massive self-belief in his divine right to rule.

If you can think of any other remedies feel free to add.

Zveep zveep, derp.

#1405901 - 07/02/2017 14:04 Re: I know why it's dry in the East, and I have A fix. [Re: Bone Dry]
Kowree Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Utchee Creek,FNQ.
Well Bone Dry, you may be right and you may probably be wrong, but if it's more gravity you seek, the South Australian government is looking at areas to store nuclear waste - it pays big bucks - submit a request.
Failing this plan, pay people to dump their unwanted fridges, cars, tyres - rubbish in general and I'm pretty darned sure that will create 'heaviness' hence. if your theory is correct, the gravity may follow.
Where in actual fact are you situated apart from the cryptic Dryville?
If you are in a heavily populated area or one of pristine beauty or a few other considerations, you may have buckleys of obtaining the agreement to store uranium byproducts, I'm afraid.

Edited by Kowree (07/02/2017 14:05)

#1405907 - 07/02/2017 14:34 Re: I know why it's dry in the East, and I have A fix. [Re: Kowree]
Bone Dry Offline
Cloud Gazer

Hmmmm, not too keen on the old uranium thingy, and the rubbish dump idea, that'll just attract too many bin chooks, and I'm not a huge fan of them either.

I'm deep in the dead zone between Caboolture & Hervey Bay, Wolvi to be specific. It's the area where walking on grass feels like you're walking on frost, but not cold.

Anyway, I now realise that you're right that I'm wrong, right. But I've got a better idea.

Solar Autonomous Drone Aerial Ships (SADAS). Thats right, Solar Autonomous Drone Aerial Ships fitted with bloody great big condensers and storage tanks.

So how it works is you've got these things flying around catching all available atmospheric moisture and storing it. They've got all necessary topography uploaded and they get live updates from the BOM as to where the driest areas are. Drones fly to those areas, turn on the sprinklers, bingo.

Edited by Bone Dry (07/02/2017 14:41)

#1406050 - 08/02/2017 07:41 Re: I know why it's dry in the East, and I have A fix. [Re: Bone Dry]
Kowree Offline
Weather Freak

He he Bone Dry - you're a deep thinker!
I do really and truly hope you can gather the necessary funding to obtain a SADAS, I imagine they are quite expensive.
And sprinklers - good ones can cost a bob.
Personally I would not like a concrete enshrouded mass of nuclear waste near me either, but hey, some one has to sacrifice their general wellbeing.

Edited by Kowree (08/02/2017 07:42)

#1406083 - 08/02/2017 10:29 Re: I know why it's dry in the East, and I have A fix. [Re: Kowree]
Bone Dry Offline
Cloud Gazer

Mmmmm, yes I think you may well be correct about them being potentially expensive.

What about ditching the condenser and using a fog catcher like they do in Chile.

You can read about them HERE if you've never heard of them. Very cool idea.

#1406085 - 08/02/2017 10:54 Re: I know why it's dry in the East, and I have A fix. [Re: Bone Dry]
DaveM Offline
Meteorological Motor Mouth

Loc: Bathurst NSW about 700 m asl
They are a brilliant thing - essentially no rainfall but plenty of sea fogs. Saw something a few years ago about it on TV - excellent thinking smile

#1406095 - 08/02/2017 11:36 Re: I know why it's dry in the East, and I have A fix. [Re: Bone Dry]
rain gauge Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Gorokan NSW 4klm West of the ...
I've heard somewhere some of those places in South America don't get rain for years on end

Edited by rain gauge (08/02/2017 11:37)

2016 Rainfall-1241.9mm
2015 Rainfall-1568.2mm
2014 Rainfall-1109.1mm

#1406107 - 08/02/2017 12:32 Re: I know why it's dry in the East, and I have A fix. [Re: rain gauge]
Bone Dry Offline
Cloud Gazer

Yep, the Atacama Desert and coastal fringe area is pretty brutal as far as rainfall goes.

The following is average temp & rainfall for Arica, which is at the northern end of the desert.

#1406111 - 08/02/2017 12:36 Re: I know why it's dry in the East, and I have A fix. [Re: Bone Dry]
rain gauge Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Gorokan NSW 4klm West of the ...
So is it's only rainfall in July?

2016 Rainfall-1241.9mm
2015 Rainfall-1568.2mm
2014 Rainfall-1109.1mm

#1406129 - 08/02/2017 13:42 Re: I know why it's dry in the East, and I have A fix. [Re: rain gauge]
Bone Dry Offline
Cloud Gazer

Insanely enough, yes that's pretty much the long term average rainfall.

Quote:
Arica is also known as the driest inhabited place on Earth, at least as measured by rainfall: average annual precipitation is 0.76 mm (0.03 inches), as measured at the airport meteorological station.

A different Source Here. Slightly different data, but the point is nevertheless the same, dryasbro.

#1406244 - 08/02/2017 20:29 Re: I know why it's dry in the East, and I have A fix. [Re: Bone Dry]
Kowree Offline
Weather Freak

Bone Dry, what I am thinking is you must give up thinking, you will be a wreck of a person, I'm sure you are male for some reason.
But you could get your name in lights..maybe, with this new idea of Chiles and you may get your time on telly, thinking ABC Rural or that ilk. Or even A Current Affair!
I do think you should consider going with the flow and reconciling yourself to the fact that maybe Wolvi is a dry spot - how dry is it anyway?

#1407694 - 14/02/2017 16:38 Re: I know why it's dry in the East, and I have A fix. [Re: Kowree]
Bone Dry Offline
Cloud Gazer

Quote:
what I am thinking is you must give up thinking, you will be a wreck of a person

I'm thinking it may well be too late for that, grin.

Quote:
reconciling yourself to the fact that maybe Wolvi is a dry spot - how dry is it anyway?

Well, I've interpolated the annual rainfall where I am to be in the vicinity of 1450mm. So far, on a rolling year to date, we're about 650mm below where we should be.

Who's Online
46 registered (OverDrive, WeatherNut96, Steve777, petethemoskeet, Phantom, ozone doug, Nature's Fury, Squeako_88, mysteriousbrad, slider, Summ3r, BlairRoberts, redbucket, Rainbow Spirit, whatscracken, Clearskies, Colin Maitland, DaveMuzza, Mad Elf #1.5, Dipole, Aussiestormguy, schmacko67, F5, justme, gberg, DarrylS, Jimi, GringosRain, TWEEDSTORM, snoopydoo, wxra, WANDJINA G'vale, Cycles, CuNimJim, Locke, Hurricane force, synopig, paj, Rainrunner, Blowin', Ahab, Maclaw, tag, 3 invisible), 534 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Today's Birthdays
Big_Pete, CoastalStorm22, Heatwave21
Forum Stats
29193 Members
32 Forums
23566 Topics
1447041 Posts

Max Online: 2925 @ 02/02/2011 22:23
Satellite Image