Page 187 of 209 < 1 2 ... 185 186 187 188 189 ... 208 209 >
Topic Options
#1405115 - 03/02/2017 10:45 Re: Australian Politics [Re: ColdFront]
Rob G Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Porters Retreat NSW
The deal will likely proceed, but it is probable that all but a handful of the refugees will be deemed a security risk to the USA. Turnbull will then be in a difficult position. If he accepts the rejected refugees for settlement in Australia, he will renege on the very policy he proclaims saves lives at sea, encouraging more boat people, as well as being criticised for admitting potential terrorists. This will anger many in the electorate. Turnbullís other option is to tell the UNHCR we wonít take the refugees under any circumstances. But that is very unlikely from a vacillating leftist Liberal. I can see the revolving Prime Ministerial door being oiled up for motion yet again.

Edited by Rob G (03/02/2017 10:46)

#1405125 - 03/02/2017 12:58 Re: Australian Politics [Re: Rob G]
ozthunder Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Mt Warrigal, NSW, Australia
Originally Posted By: Rob G
Turnbull will then be in a difficult position. If he accepts the rejected refugees for settlement in Australia

For the sake of Australia's small position of power in the world of politics Turnbull should just say deal is off we are taking the refugees.

This may seem Trump wins, but actually puts us back into a position of power. So next bloody war like Iraq we can just stick Trump with the finger.

Starting to emerge that Trump is a Psychopath.

Just be wary Psychopath is not the same as Psyco in the mad sense. A Psychopath can be charming, but deep down totally self interested in self and power. They will manipulate and use other people (some without even realising it).

#1405128 - 03/02/2017 13:16 Re: Australian Politics [Re: ozthunder]
Eevo Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Bridgewater
Originally Posted By: ozthunder

Starting to emerge that Trump is a Psychopath.

have to be blind to have seen this...

funny thing is, this is the first politician to keep his promises and everyone is losing their minds.

#1405156 - 03/02/2017 17:29 Re: Australian Politics [Re: ColdFront]
Steve777 Online   content
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Artarmon (Sydney North Shore)
A view from America of that phone conversation and its context. Interesting, although it assumes that the 'real' Malcolm is the old 'liberal' (small 'l') one. I am not so sure:

Quote:
"I've heard from various observers in Australia in response to the now widely-reported rage bender call - some from readers outside of politics, others deeply ensconced in the political establishment. The one word I hear over and over is "bombshell." This is just today's freakshow here in the United States. It's quite a bit more down there. Here's one analysis of the background that I found edifying ..."

Link: bombshell-lands-in-the-antipodes

#1405723 - 06/02/2017 14:53 Re: Australian Politics [Re: ColdFront]
ozthunder Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Cory Bernardi to split with Coalition to form Australian Conservatives party

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-02-06/cory-bernardi-to-split-with-liberal-party/8243414

I am not sure that "conservatives" is the right term. What are they trying to conserve?

Perhaps Cory can find a few new members from Flat Earth thread below, after all the first people to suggest the world was round were scorned by the "church"

#1405751 - 06/02/2017 16:55 Re: Australian Politics [Re: ColdFront]
Rob G Offline
Weather Freak

Conservative would mean to maintain the status quo, such as traditions and not make change for the sake of change without fully understanding the benefits and costs. To the conservative SSM is weird and potentially destructive to society.

The opposite is the progressive who may support a republic, SSM, multiculturalism, more refugees and change for the sake change.

Each has its good and not so good side. Perhaps conservatives are overly risk averse and inflexible; while progressives may try to fix what isnít broken Ė sometimes resulting in more regulation and less freedom. Arguably for every Ďprogressioní there is invariably a Ďregressioní. In reality everyone possesses elements of conservatism and progressiveness.

I doubt Bernadiís move will achieve anything, particularly when One Nation is already filling the conservative void. According to Wikipedi Bernardi is a Roman Catholic Ė the church that took 350 years to admit that Galileo was right. Interestingly Abbott and Turnbull are members of the same church.

#1405758 - 06/02/2017 17:31 Re: Australian Politics [Re: Rob G]
Brett Guy Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Bently Park, Cairns
Conservative would mean to maintain the status quo, such as traditions and not make change for the sake of change without fully understanding the benefits and costs. To the conservative SSM is weird and potentially destructive to society.

The opposite is the progressive who may support a republic, SSM, multiculturalism, more refugees and change for the sake change.

Each has its good and not so good side. Perhaps conservatives are overly risk averse and inflexible; while progressives may try to fix what isnít broken Ė sometimes resulting in more regulation and less freedom. Arguably for every Ďprogressioní there is invariably a Ďregressioní. In reality everyone possesses elements of conservatism and progressiveness.

I doubt Bernadiís move will achieve anything, particularly when One Nation is already filling the conservative void. According to Wikipedi Bernardi is a Roman Catholic Ė the church that took 350 years to admit that Galileo was right. Interestingly Abbott and Turnbull are members of the same church.

Well said Rob. Both conservatives and progressives often fail to understand that doing something for the sake of it is a dangerous path to tread. I can only see it as a good thing if Corey and the far right in the coalition left as it would allow the more moderate to achieve things. Actually. What would be even better is if the far left of labor did the same thing and the remaining moderates in both the libs and labor formed a united middle of the road party unhindered by extremists on both sides.

#1405837 - 07/02/2017 08:25 Re: Australian Politics [Re: ozthunder]
ColdFront Offline
Meteorological Motor Mouth

Loc: Wide Bay..Near the beach
Originally Posted By: ozthunder

I am not sure that "conservatives" is the right term. What are they trying to conserve?

They are hardly Liberal anymore either.

#1405909 - 07/02/2017 14:49 Re: Australian Politics [Re: Rob G]
ozthunder Offline
Weatherzone Addict

I know what you trying to say. However Cory is not conservative, extreme right wind is not conservative IMO. No more than you can classify Taliban as conservative.

If he had full reign of power in some dark future (thankfully this would never happen), you would see conservative teaching in schools replaced by Creationism, along with a major war on Science, introduction of religious teaching strictly following "his church" interpretation of the bible. You would see abortions made highly illegal. A reinstate of something along lines of white Australia policy. Censorship would enter a new phase, and not only just for naughty skin bits, but practically anything he would approve of.

The guy is a self righteous nut job.

#1405936 - 07/02/2017 17:52 Re: Australian Politics [Re: ColdFront]
Rob G Offline
Weather Freak

Yes he's rather an odd ball. His quitting the Liberal Party without having first resigned from the Senate is highly unethical. Perhaps he confessed this 'sin' to his priest, who then 'absolved' him of any guilt?

#1405956 - 07/02/2017 19:33 Re: Australian Politics [Re: ColdFront]
ColdFront Offline

Maybe he can take Hansen with him. Another absolute fruit cake. Sucks the gullible into voting for her and then hits them the hardest.

#1405964 - 07/02/2017 19:55 Re: Australian Politics [Re: ColdFront]
Brett Guy Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Bently Park, Cairns
To be honest I don't think he will do all that well. Yes he will get some of the very right wing people to support him but he won't get the sort of poeple that vote for Hanson or Hinch. He is not a 'populist'at all(although I really disagree with that term). I could be wrong though. He may do better than we think

#1406125 - 08/02/2017 13:31 Re: Australian Politics [Re: ColdFront]
bundybear Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Between Bundy and Gladstone
More tax money to go to the 'corporate' mates. I would have thought they were making more than enough profit without us paying more.

Quote:
Listed long-day care provider G8 Education made an $88.6 million profit in 2015-16. Folkestone Education Trust, the owner of 393 early learning properties here and in New Zealand enjoyed a 20.5 per cent rise in net profits to $106.8 million in 2015 on the back of 5.5 per cent rent hikes the previous year. A parent is entitled to wonder: is that where my fee increase went?

The child care services industry made almost $1 billion in profit last year, equivalent to 10 per cent of the amount the government poured into it in subsidies. And that does not take into account the profits of the landlords.

The govt is trying to pass a bill which will increase child care payments to families, taking it from families without kids in care, which will lead to the inevitable increase in charges to families.

Just think, if the govt didn't spend all that money in child care payments, didn't spend it on the staff needed to administer the payments but gave it to families directly.

This payment could replace the 2 payments that is paid for child care, the rebate and the payment made directly to the centres. Unfortunately even with my google skills I can not find any information about how much a child in care costs the taxpayer. I imagine it to be many many thousands in not only cash but administration/advertising costs although the above article I posted would appear to indicate that childcare is costing the country 10 billion dollars a year.

Imagine 10 billion a year back into the taxpayers pockets. I am not sure that the 10 billion accounts for the payback at the end of the year to families. Another $7500 per child. I can't imagine the amount if it doesn't but it would be something like another 13 billion.

Yes, now I hear the screaming 'the unemployment of the workers'. That money back into taxpayers pockets would allow those who wish to put their kids in care to do so. Without such generous govt support of a private enterprise prices will drop to reflect that, same as they rise to reflect the support. Don't forget, they would still have those in some cases extremely generous tax payer funded family payments.

Some families may even decide they don't need that second job and quit. That job will then go to a jobless person on govt support putting more money back into the consolidated revenue by not claiming a benefit and paying tax.

Builders will be back in demand to do those home improvements people will want/need. Those builders will generate work for other industries. Local parks could get more use with parents actually having time for their kids. We need people to maintain them. Local swimming pools too. Really, the list is endless.

Why is there no one with half an ounce of intelligence in govt?

Edited by bundybear (08/02/2017 13:34)

#1406429 - 09/02/2017 20:22 Re: Australian Politics [Re: bundybear]
@_Yasified_shak Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: El Arish
Ohhh, the poor babies.....

Ian Macdonald defends pollies' perks, threatens split with government on Life Gold Pass

Quote:
they don't get particularly well paid.

Senator Macdonald - who is paid a salary of $200,000 a year as a backbencher

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/p...209-gu8xl5.html

Yes, sad isn't it? who can survive these days on only $3800 per week.....

Humans think they are the fabric of society,when they are merely part of the thread.

#1406490 - 10/02/2017 00:17 Re: Australian Politics [Re: ColdFront]
bundybear Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Between Bundy and Gladstone
Can someone explain why prawn farmers who had nothing at all to do with the introduction of cheap prawns infected with disease be meant to pay a levy to help manage it?

Quote:
The APFA wants to discuss financial assistance, and to develop a levy system involving farmers, industry and government to help cover the costs of managing WSD.

They certainly didn't import them. I am sure they more than likely argued against it when the plan was first put forward, even foretold of this disaster. Why is the 'minister' who authorised the importation not being asked to put his hand in his pocket?

Just like when they didn't bother to enforce correct quarantine procedures and allowed equine influenza into the country. It was the little people who paid the price.

Personally I hope those who have lost their livelihoods to this govt inflicted pain sue the backsides off them, ministers personally who approved it, and win. Not only for the money they have lost but all the money it will cost them to get back into business and pay those levies.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-02-09/white-spot-figures-higher-than-first-thought/8256398

#1406777 - 11/02/2017 10:08 Re: Australian Politics [Re: ColdFront]
ColdFront Offline

#1406795 - 11/02/2017 11:09 Re: Australian Politics [Re: ColdFront]
rain gauge Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Gorokan NSW 4klm West of the ...
LOL Coldfront. Is he for real?

2016 Rainfall-1241.9mm
2015 Rainfall-1568.2mm
2014 Rainfall-1109.1mm

#1406796 - 11/02/2017 11:14 Re: Australian Politics [Re: ColdFront]
rain gauge Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Gorokan NSW 4klm West of the ...
I've had NBN for about 18 months. Yeah its faster on the uploads and no difference on the downloads. I mean how many things do you upload compared to download?

And I've gone through 2 modems in that time.

What a monumental fail.

2016 Rainfall-1241.9mm
2015 Rainfall-1568.2mm
2014 Rainfall-1109.1mm

#1406799 - 11/02/2017 11:23 Re: Australian Politics [Re: ColdFront]
ozone doug Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Roma SW QLD Eye to the West...
I am quite happy with my copper network only had problems once .Tech came and hooked up his scope and said bad connection 250 meters away came back 10 mins later like new again. You could see the noise on the line and other connections and distance away on the scope was pretty good.

#1406803 - 11/02/2017 11:32 Re: Australian Politics [Re: rain gauge]
samboz Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Between Maffra & the Mountains...
Originally Posted By: rain gauge

And I've gone through 2 modems in that time.

Telstra standard repair, we are on 3rd wireless modem in last 5 or 6 years, the last round $140 plus 90KM travel.

Nothing wrong with any of them really, they just like to run you around wasting time and money.

Neighbour has had heaps of trouble with copper line (like us at times) and new local NBN towers had him advised they could now service his property.

They fitted the NBN gear, didn't work - he told then to just go back to the copper network - NBN / Telstra advised, "Sorry can't do that, no connection service available to you "

I kid you not!

Page 187 of 209 < 1 2 ... 185 186 187 188 189 ... 208 209 >

Who's Online
6 registered (StormCapture, Knot, Xavo, Steve777, morts, 1 invisible), 278 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Today's Birthdays
melbell, SanatKumara, Stephen-wx, Teunvm, Tropposurfer
Forum Stats
29315 Members
32 Forums
23640 Topics
1456190 Posts

Max Online: 2925 @ 02/02/2011 22:23
Satellite Image