Page 10 of 12 < 1 2 ... 8 9 10 11 12 >
Topic Options
#1463979 - 17/05/2018 14:07 Re: NBN Woes, losses and wins [Re: SBT]
ColdFront Offline
Meteorological Motor Mouth

Loc: The Beach.
Yes, they are overcrowded, but not by Optus. They are piggybacked by Telstra's techs.

#1464066 - 19/05/2018 15:54 Re: NBN Woes, losses and wins [Re: ColdFront]
Ronfishes Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Gordonvale
Originally Posted By: ColdFront

Hopefully it stays that away as more jump on the line. How far from home is the node RF?

Node is on my nature strip, but I'd say Probably 120m of line from the box to my phone. I'm the closest house smile

MTD: 14.2mm

YTD: 2241.6mm

#1464067 - 19/05/2018 16:38 Re: NBN Woes, losses and wins [Re: SBT]
ColdFront Offline

You won the lottery.

#1465712 - 16/06/2018 00:22 Re: NBN Woes, losses and wins [Re: SBT]
Mega Offline

Loc: Maryborough, Wide Bay, QLD
So it's been exactly a week since I've been connected to FTTN with Aussie Broadband's 50Mbps/20Mbps plan, and have 0 complaints so far. I reach the advertised speeds even at peak time and no dropouts to speak of yet either. Only early days but positive signs so far considering I am 400m from the node, about 450m from the pillar.

#1467435 - 16/07/2018 16:41 Re: NBN Woes, losses and wins [Re: Mega]
Stargate Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Munno Para, Northern Suburbs
Originally Posted By: Mega
So it's been exactly a week since I've been connected to FTTN with Aussie Broadband's 50Mbps/20Mbps plan, and have 0 complaints so far. I reach the advertised speeds even at peak time and no dropouts to speak of yet either. Only early days but positive signs so far considering I am 400m from the node, about 450m from the pillar.

Do you run it via wi-fi or hard wired with ethernet cable?

I find Ethernet more stable and faster..

#1467436 - 16/07/2018 17:17 Re: NBN Woes, losses and wins [Re: SBT]
Mega Offline

Originally Posted By: Stargate

Do you run it via wi-fi or hard wired with ethernet cable?

I find Ethernet more stable and faster..

All of my desktop devices are connected using Ethernet cables running to the router. We use wifi for our phones only.

Surprisingly quite happy with the upgrade to the NBN so far though despite just a few dropouts which have occurred later in the evening (though not for a good week or more now). No other complaints really...still get the advertised speeds night and day and no sign of congestion at all through my provider as yet. I honestly expected a hell of a lot worse than this...I guess I sort of won the lottery so far anyway.

#1467614 - 20/07/2018 08:26 Re: NBN Woes, losses and wins [Re: SBT]
ColdFront Offline

Ours went live last Friday. I've decided to opt out until I am forced on due to distance from the node. The more people join on the line, the slower it will become. Unless of course the node is in your yard. Hearing horror stories of 5 mbps from people who started with 40mbps here in Bundaberg, then watched it die as more switched on.

#1467937 - 29/07/2018 01:01 Re: NBN Woes, losses and wins [Re: SBT]
Mega Offline

I think I spoke too soon CF...dropouts becoming more regular now which we never used to get with ADSL. Happens during random times of the day (and night when nobody is even awake) or the signal drops to the point of sometimes killing the connection entirely. Apparently all it takes for such a thing to happen is for interference somewhere along the copper line between you and the node....so if somebody's operating a faulty device between here and there then you could be affected as well. I mean, the speeds are really good when it's properly functioning but the dropouts are just a plain nuisance. Here's to dated infrastructure hey.

#1467952 - 29/07/2018 12:30 Re: NBN Woes, losses and wins [Re: SBT]
rain gauge Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Gorokan NSW 4klm West of the ...
The drop outs drive me bonkers since you never know how long they're going to last. They seem to come in clusters of drop outs then its fine for months- then its 'rinse and repeat' Id like to go back to the good old days when you had reliable service, and people who live locally to help you if necessary. lol

#1468071 - 01/08/2018 00:07 Re: NBN Woes, losses and wins [Re: SBT]
desieboy Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Broome

Ok Signed up with IINET for FTTN NBN 2 weeks ago was on ADSL2 .They said it would be connected on 31 July between 7am and 3pm and they would let me know what time it was ready to go.. Was online today and ADSL line dropped out checked phone yep out …

Thought must be connected to NBN already. Plugged in line direct to new modem plugged in Ethernet line and then put in wireless key and hey presto on NBN.

Checked speed at 24Mbs at least 10 times faster than my ADSL2 and that was on a good day.Was a good fast no problem transition to new service ..hopefully it will stay good.

Was going to stay on ADSL2 for awhile but heard from a NBN tech who told me now a lot of the bugs have been sorted with the NBN service around here so I decided to change .

Also my daughter coming up for a holiday in Sept/Oct and god forbid if she can't live face off with her friends on her iPad and upload at a reasonable speed . wink smile

#1468093 - 01/08/2018 11:41 Re: NBN Woes, losses and wins [Re: SBT]
ColdFront Offline

15 to 18mbps on my ADSL. No incentive to change. I had to laugh at Telstra though. Sent me a letter yesterday to say all I have to do is switch. No plan change, no data change , no contract change. So they will switch me offer and give my 200 gig a month for my current $75.00. IiNet would offer me unlimited data for $59.00 and Telstra wonder why their customers are running for the door. The only reason I am not switching is because I don't trust the NBN.

#1468095 - 01/08/2018 11:56 Re: NBN Woes, losses and wins [Re: SBT]
desieboy Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Happy for the first time ever can be opening in a reasonable time 6 windows at once ..
Just pinged my address and got a speed 36 Mb/s yay.

Node is about 250 metres away up the street .Because my NBN goes into optic fibres from my copper network at home and to the node I am glad I got my copper checked out by Telstra a few years back.

For years I was having never ending trouble with the phone and internet drop outs and waited about 3 months before I finally complained enough to get a Telstra technician to come out to have a look (was with Westnet then but not their fault).Anyway the third tech had to come out after the first two told me a few crappy untruths about why etc checked phone line in house and my equipment was all good.
Finally number 3 noticed that some of my coopper into a patch panel a few doors down the road had a fig tree root growing right next to it which was pushing my copper wire in the wrong direction.

Apparently he told me someone had tried to alleviate the problem before and stuck a piece of gaffa tape around it and stuck it back towards the panel ,he was shocked himself.
Anyway he replaced my copper wire around that area properly and he told me he had put my wire into the best spot on the patch panel . Has been 100% better ever since.

So if your NBN still going too slow and your still got copper to the node and your house maybe it is that that's probably slowing you up....See you can have it checked ..but good luck with that ..

#1468970 - 17/08/2018 09:12 Re: NBN Woes, losses and wins [Re: SBT]
Mega Offline

An update to our situation.

Dropouts have increased even further since the last time I posted. Been on the phone with Aussie Broadband who I have nothing but good things to say about. They tried getting NBN to investigate who rejected the claim and blamed it on our own interference. Aussie Broadband again hit back at NBN who a second time rejected the claim. This morning we have a small breakthrough. Aussie have finally narrowed it down to a line fault somewhere between here and the node most likely due to old and deteriorating copper. No ETA on a fix yet.

And you wonder why so many people are having issues? We are using copper in 2018 ffs and what's worse is NBN co don't want to take responsibility for it so they instead blame the end user.

#1468973 - 17/08/2018 09:23 Re: NBN Woes, losses and wins [Re: Mega]
ozthunder Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Mt Warrigal, NSW, Australia
An update to our situation.

Dropouts have increased even further since the last time I posted. Been on the phone with Aussie Broadband who I have nothing but good things to say about. They tried getting NBN to investigate who rejected the claim and blamed it on our own interference. Aussie Broadband again hit back at NBN who a second time rejected the claim. This morning we have a small breakthrough. Aussie have finally narrowed it down to a line fault somewhere between here and the node most likely due to old and deteriorating copper. No ETA on a fix yet.

And you wonder why so many people are having issues? We are using copper in 2018 ffs and what's worse is NBN co don't want to take responsibility for it so they instead blame the end user.

The blame game. This is classic of NBN co from I see and read. Make sure the onbudsman gets a report.

deteriorating copper - you trying to say that the FTTN alchemy did not work ?

#1468974 - 17/08/2018 11:20 Re: NBN Woes, losses and wins [Re: SBT]
rain gauge Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Gorokan NSW 4klm West of the ...
After many drop outs the NBN guy turned up here. It was working at the time and he the said the problem is the modem is old technology, the modem is 18 months old. Its also the second NBN modem because of similar problems with the previous one.. I'm only glad I have my phone on the 4G network 30GB a month no drop outs

Edited by rain gauge (17/08/2018 11:21)

#1469037 - 18/08/2018 13:26 Re: NBN Woes, losses and wins [Re: SBT]
desieboy Offline
Weatherzone Addict

To tell the truth I don't think its the NBN fault that they have to connect the copper network.
The Turnbull government decided to save money and run the optic fibres only to the existing copper nodes not to actual households.

New suburbs will have optic fibre right to their door but not older areas.
Lots of problems with the old copper network especially with old patch panels and wires to the premises etc .

Pretty sure Telstra are still in charge of all the old copper network no matter which provider you are using.

#1469069 - 18/08/2018 19:08 Re: NBN Woes, losses and wins [Re: SBT]
ColdFront Offline

It was never about saving money and NBN Co are merely a front for the government.

#1469081 - 18/08/2018 22:36 Re: NBN Woes, losses and wins [Re: desieboy]
Mick10 Offline
Weatherzone Moderator

Loc: Kirwan, Townsville - NQld.
Originally Posted By: desieboy

New suburbs will have optic fibre right to their door but not older areas.

Developers of greenfield sites have to pay a contribution of costs towards NBN connection to new homes, that of course gets passed onto the home owner in construction costs.
Existing homes are being connected for free thru either of the different connection methods.
2018 Yearly total to date - 814.8mm (1107mm)

#1469185 - 19/08/2018 22:07 Re: NBN Woes, losses and wins [Re: SBT]
desieboy Offline
Weatherzone Addict

I think the coalition were trying to save money when they changed the original plan to have a lot more fibre to households rather than FTTN model now being used.

NBN plan changed

#1469354 - 23/08/2018 08:15 Re: NBN Woes, losses and wins [Re: SBT]
wilyms Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Roma, Qld
Regardless it’s all the government’s fault - all parties really

The copper network was sold to NBN Co to make Telstra some money to bail it out of the mess it was in (share price etc)

The NBN was underpriced / poorly estimated to start with - the was a whole swag of infrastructure project around that time that have had huge cost blowouts. Once the pilot areas were done they realised FTTP would just get insane cost wise so they went to the ‘mix of technology’ solution.

So then NBN Co gets the blame for all that. But NBN Co is effectively the Govt anyway.

Fault finding is just an exercise in blame shifting.
You got to your reseller with a complaint.
The have no tech staff so they shuffle it to NBN Co
NBN Co have a script which reads
1. The issue is in the house - either modem or wiring and flick it back
2. If you manage to prove it’s neither - after 20 phone call back to your reseller you might get a tech out

After that there’s a million possible outcomes none of which happen quickly if at all and certainly not customer focussed

Page 10 of 12 < 1 2 ... 8 9 10 11 12 >

Who's Online
9 registered (gympieweather, Un_stable, red earth, LonnyDave, MattS, Ricky, Wet Snow, 2 invisible), 84 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Today's Birthdays
Chris #3, Cloudwatcher, dave-tsv, GuyH, Joshg, Prettybub, s016230, Sprouts
Forum Stats
29700 Members
32 Forums
24005 Topics
1502910 Posts

Max Online: 2925 @ 02/02/2011 22:23
Satellite Image