Page 11 of 12 < 1 2 ... 9 10 11 12 >
Topic Options
#1469362 - 23/08/2018 11:26 Re: NBN Woes, losses and wins [Re: SBT]
Mega Offline
Meteorological Motor Mouth

Loc: Maryborough, Wide Bay, QLD
I still don't believe it was ever about money. A certain someone called on a certain someone to "destroy" a certain party's plan at the time. It was all political imho.

PS damn I miss the Australian politics thread right about now LOL.

#1469365 - 23/08/2018 12:53 Re: NBN Woes, losses and wins [Re: SBT]
ozone doug Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Roma SW QLD Eye to the West...
The other elephant in the room i think. Is all all the node box's are full of backup batteries. When the end of life ten years if their treated right are all going to fail around the same time at a incredible replacement cost to do or if they fail to do so the whole system is going to crash when they have a blackout.i can hold my end up with a ups and generator but if their end fails everyone is screwed.lol Guess we are already screwed any way.Have been trying to tell dome oldies why they wont have a phone when nbn switches over even though they don't use the internet and will have to change things. then you tell then it probably work in a blackout with out extras.

#1469379 - 23/08/2018 19:38 Re: NBN Woes, losses and wins [Re: SBT]
Mick10 Offline
Weatherzone Moderator

Loc: Kirwan, Townsville - NQld.
the issue with the individual boxes in each house having backup batteries that only last a few hours was big issue up here not long after the initial rollout site started in Townsville. When you can go a week after a cyclone with no power many elderly residents were caught by surprise that not only would they not have access to a landline, no would they have access to health alarms. which the persons who thought out the initial rollout didn't think about. Two years after the rollout, the back up batteries started failing, at which residents then realised they had to pay for new ones.
2018 Yearly total to date - 877.4mm (1107mm)

#1469386 - 23/08/2018 21:03 Re: NBN Woes, losses and wins [Re: SBT]
wilyms Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Roma, Qld
I didnt think there were any batteries in the nodes

Only FTTP had the battery option

This suggests the same

https://www.nbnco.com.au/residential/learn/what-happens-in-a-power-blackout.html

#1469395 - 24/08/2018 08:57 Re: NBN Woes, losses and wins [Re: SBT]
ozone doug Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Not at the house .In the boxes on the corner of streets they have powet from a pole under ground and the lower half of the box is full of about 100 ahr batteries. If the power goes off you still need power to send send signal on glass fibre. Link to a story .Just for the picture of the batteries in a node box.
https://www.mailtimes.com.au/story/4206896/nbn-plan-to-divide-horsham/ .

#1469397 - 24/08/2018 09:05 Re: NBN Woes, losses and wins [Re: SBT]
ozone doug Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Fttp the house back up battery will shut down when low so you can turn it on for an emergency call lol. Your having a heart attack you push the button to wake the system and you have to wait at least 10 minutes for it to boot up .So if your lucky you may get a ambulance in 1/2 an hour . Bad luck if you don't replace your battery regularly ,Or lucky to have a mobile phone. I use a ups and generator.I have health issues that require back up power .

Edited by ozone doug (24/08/2018 09:09)

#1469437 - 24/08/2018 22:25 Re: NBN Woes, losses and wins [Re: SBT]
Mega Offline

So the NBN bloke came out today and checked everything in the house which ended up all clear (no surprises here since when we had ADSL we already had multiple Telstra techs out here who said the same thing). He then took a walk to the node, came back and said there was some hanging cable at the node that he thought shouldn't be there so he raised it (lolol bullsh*t).

Of course the problem is unresolved. First dropout occurred just after he left and another one at 8:30 tonight. We do find though it's much worse during the evenings and overnight than during the daytime but when it does happen, it happens a lot...for hours at times.

The most probable cause is that the copper line that runs to the node is old and deteorating, but as we all know the NBN want nothing to do with maintaining it.

It is a complete joke and there is nothing we can do about it.

#1469439 - 24/08/2018 22:43 Re: NBN Woes, losses and wins [Re: SBT]
Mega Offline

And the whole cost cutting thing bs because the cost of maintaining aging copper would in the long run exceed the cost of rolling out new fibre anyway. It's a ridiculous excuse.

#1469451 - 25/08/2018 09:51 Re: NBN Woes, losses and wins [Re: Mega]
ColdFront Offline

Loc: The Beach.
Originally Posted By: Mega
And the whole cost cutting thing bs because the cost of maintaining aging copper would in the long run exceed the cost of rolling out new fibre anyway. It's a ridiculous excuse.

Fibre rollout is 50% cheaper than just 5 years ago. It is nothing to do with cost.

#1469848 - 31/08/2018 19:44 Re: NBN Woes, losses and wins [Re: SBT]
Mega Offline

NBN base case funding jumps to AU$51b following HFC pause

https://www.zdnet.com/google-amp/article/nbn-base-case-funding-jumps-to-au51b-following-hfc-pause/

Cheaper, faster, better?

#1469850 - 31/08/2018 20:18 Re: NBN Woes, losses and wins [Re: SBT]
Red Watch Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Cranbrook, Townsville

Edited by Red Watch (31/08/2018 20:21)

#1469931 - 01/09/2018 21:12 Re: NBN Woes, losses and wins [Re: SBT]
RC Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: near Rockhampton, Qld
Think of all the employment though. Plenty of people employed to fix problems and so on.

I have been watching this whole thing since inception and I have come to the conclusion to not trust anything anyone says as it seems everyone wants to put their own personal bias onto it.

I am over it all.

#1470685 - 13/09/2018 11:16 Re: NBN Woes, losses and wins [Re: SBT]
Red Watch Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Cranbrook, Townsville
Yea the government created problems with the NBN to lower unemployment.

#1470693 - 13/09/2018 14:24 Re: NBN Woes, losses and wins [Re: Red Watch]
ColdFront Offline

Loc: The Beach.
Originally Posted By: Red Watch
Yea the government created problems with the NBN to lower unemployment.

laugh Cheers mate. I chuckled. Unemployment should drop a further 2% when they decide to it. My guess is it won't get done until the other mob get in so that they can be blamed for the cost blowout.

#1470743 - 14/09/2018 23:19 Re: NBN Woes, losses and wins [Re: SBT]
Mega Offline

lol get this.

Since the last NBN guy who came out failed to resolve the issue, ABB lodged another ticket with NBNco and we had another guy to come out and have a look today. Nice guy, seemed to know what he was talking about. Replaced a socket near our phone line and claimed we'd be all sweet. When asked if he checked the copper run to the node he claimed he did and that if there were faults they could detect them...which as I said he claims there wasn't. So yeah, he replaced a socket and guess what?

Two dropouts literally just a few minutes after he left, lmao. Also, upload speed is back down to ADSL speeds.

My theory is that these guys have been told not to tell their clients about copper faults and instead blame the end user because replacing the copper would mean more $$ for the government to dish out on the flawed structure that THEY implemented.

The whole thing is a complete joke.

We are not letting this rest. ABB have been updated on the situation as has the TIO and the ACMA have also been contacted. Not letting these pr1cks win.

#1471416 - 27/09/2018 17:41 Re: NBN Woes, losses and wins [Re: SBT]
Mega Offline

After a continuation of dropouts (internet and landline), we had another guy come out today.

Another fail.

This guy was horrible. Rude, wouldn't listen to a word we said and kept insisting, "The speed is fine." No matter how many times we told him the speed wasn't the problem (only after the dropouts the up speed dies completely), he just would not listen. He tried to blame our modem...we pointed to the other three modems stacked up on the table. He made smart-ass remarks like, "Are you an electrician?" And pretty much threatened us with a bill for wasting his time. He did not want to know about any other faults other than it being through our premises.

Here's the funny part. What led to the above is that as soon as he got here, he replaced the exact same socket along the telephone line as the last guy did, almost as if rehearsed! We tried to tell him the last guy did exactly the same thing but he wanted none of it.

We asked for his NBN ID many times and he kept saying, "I don't have to give you that."

Ended up lodging a complaint with NBN, but like they care.

On Facebook, there's plenty of people with the same problem. Dropouts regardless of ISP, people having had numerous technicians in only to have the blame laid on them.

What it comes down to is the faulty infrastructure that the government does not want to be held accountable for. All of these techs are "taught" to do the same thing - blame the user and never, ever suggest a copper or node fault (because that costs the government money).
Ended up lodging a complaint with NBN, but like they care.

#1471948 - 03/10/2018 18:11 Re: NBN Woes, losses and wins [Re: SBT]
Mega Offline

Tech #4 came out today. He knocked on the door to let us know that he 'fixed' something in the pit. He was here for a whole 2 minutes.

20 minutes after he left, the dropouts resumed. Landline also virtually unusable because of these drops.

Not one of these technicians has even bothered to check up at the node for any faults. Apparently even a faulty port at the node can cause this issue, a simple port switch can be the fix. When we asked the nasty guy (#3), he basically said it wouldn't be worth his time.

These guys are absolutely useless but thanks to Aussie we'll just keep getting them out until they get sick of it and finally fix it.

#1471951 - 03/10/2018 18:44 Re: NBN Woes, losses and wins [Re: SBT]
Kino Online   content
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Wollongong, NSW, Aus
Had a similar incident - fault at main node. First guy came out without the key and expected me to have it. Then just left. After a furious rant to my ISP (wed been waiting a week for it to be fixed), second guy came, fixed the issue, tweaked the modem in the house and now its fantastic.

#1471952 - 03/10/2018 18:51 Re: NBN Woes, losses and wins [Re: Kino]
Mega Offline

Originally Posted By: Kino
Had a similar incident - fault at main node. First guy came out without the key and expected me to have it. Then just left. After a furious rant to my ISP (wed been waiting a week for it to be fixed), second guy came, fixed the issue, tweaked the modem in the house and now its fantastic.

You said a while back you were on FTTP?

#1471955 - 03/10/2018 18:59 Re: NBN Woes, losses and wins [Re: SBT]
Kino Online   content
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Wollongong, NSW, Aus
I have - but Im in a block of units which has a comms node for all the units.

Page 11 of 12 < 1 2 ... 9 10 11 12 >

Who's Online
16 registered (jim, ifishcq, GringosRain, mysteriousbrad, nimbuss1, BrightSide, Antarctic Whaler, Wezza, WeatherNut96, Timbuck, Kino, MattS, raincheck, 3 invisible), 125 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Today's Birthdays
Beachy, Keith, Khaliq Khabir
Forum Stats
29700 Members
32 Forums
24024 Topics
1505719 Posts

Max Online: 2925 @ 02/02/2011 22:23
Satellite Image