Page 7 of 11 < 1 2 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 >
Topic Options
#1449099 - 17/01/2018 15:37 Re: NBN Woes, losses and wins [Re: SBT]
Mega Offline
Meteorological Motor Mouth

Loc: Maryborough, Wide Bay, QLD
It is disgusting. They just don't care. I feel very sorry for those people living in Australia who want to make a living off gaming, streaming, game development, programming, web design, game design, basically anything that requires you to have a fast and reliable internet speed. We will be the biggest joke in 5 years time when it pertains to internet technology.

#1449111 - 17/01/2018 17:02 Re: NBN Woes, losses and wins [Re: SBT]
ColdFront Offline

Loc: Burnett Heads
We are the biggest joke now

#1449127 - 17/01/2018 19:48 Re: NBN Woes, losses and wins [Re: SBT]
Markus Offline
Weatherzone Moderator

Loc: Clare, SA
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/fed...84a43f58eef116a

Quote:
Late last year a joint federal inquiry into the National Broadband Network declared a seismic shift in the technology underpinning the NBN was needed, recommending the rollout use as much fibre as possible.

The government said today it was disappointed with the report, which “failed to recognise a large number of consumers’ good experience with the network, and that the majority are satisfied with their NBN service.”

“The government is disappointed that after considering 191 submissions, holding 15 public hearings, receiving testimony from 179 witnesses, and undertaking three site visits, the committee’s majority report and recommendations indicates a failure to understand the fundamentals of the NBN,” the government said in its response.

“The prominence given in the majority report of the committee to the stories of dissatisfied consumers distorts the perception of the success of the NBN.”

Can't make this stuff up. Government is disappointed in the public for not being happy with a seriously flawed and under-performing product caused by blatant corruption.

It's not enough for them to get payed hugely overinflated wages to screw over the country, they need to rub our faces in it too.

The people responsible deserve jail time.

http://markdawsonphoto.wordpress.com/

#1449130 - 17/01/2018 20:01 Re: NBN Woes, losses and wins [Re: SBT]
ColdFront Offline

Just watched the communications minister on the Project. What a pathetic moron. When pressed on his government's promise to deliver 100mbps (a key promise when trashing fttp) he completed avoided it, blamed labor and all the usual claptrap they peddle.

"You only need 5 mbps to watch Netflix"

What a mug!

#1449134 - 17/01/2018 20:27 Re: NBN Woes, losses and wins [Re: SBT]
Red Watch Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Cranbrook, Townsville
A former executive at the National Broadband Network has predicted that many of the copper wires laid down in the NBN rollout will have to be ripped up and replaced within a decade.
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-01-17/nb...nsumers/9335602

#1449135 - 17/01/2018 20:31 Re: NBN Woes, losses and wins [Re: SBT]
Red Watch Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Cranbrook, Townsville
FTTN has created NBN slums and are these people expected to put up with this technology as the copper degrades even further.

#1449141 - 17/01/2018 21:17 Re: NBN Woes, losses and wins [Re: Red Watch]
Mega Offline

Originally Posted By: Red Watch
A former executive at the National Broadband Network has predicted that many of the copper wires laid down in the NBN rollout will have to be ripped up and replaced within a decade.
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-01-17/nb...nsumers/9335602

Given the blowout of the current rollout it's hard to see where the money will come from to do it all again, the proper way. They have [censored] Australians over for years to come, and someone has to answer to this.

#1449174 - 18/01/2018 09:57 Re: NBN Woes, losses and wins [Re: Red Watch]
ozthunder Online   content
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Mt Warrigal, NSW, Australia
Originally Posted By: Red Watch
FTTN has created NBN slums and are these people expected to put up with this technology as the copper degrades even further.

and already this is reflecting in some buyers preferences when purchasing a home. Kiama Real estate near here is often advertised with its FTTP connections as a asset. Just like close to beach, view, transport used to and still are.

#1449175 - 18/01/2018 09:59 Re: NBN Woes, losses and wins [Re: ColdFront]
ozthunder Online   content
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Mt Warrigal, NSW, Australia
Originally Posted By: ColdFront
Yep spot on.

But don't worry, Malcolm Turmoil will ensure that all the advice to stop rolling out fftn by pretty much every expert in the industry is ignored. There is one such expert on the news today suggesting fibre to the kerb should be commenced immediately and fttn scrapped asset the same time.

It is already redundant.

There is only one "expert' they listened too, that disgusting old man Murdoch, who had to protect Foxtel and his large stake in Telstra.

#1462419 - 23/04/2018 09:33 Re: NBN Woes, losses and wins [Re: SBT]
ozone doug Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Roma SW QLD Eye to the West...
Anyone using Southern phone for Phone and internet or i net .Seem to have Heaps better than Telstra .Have to get on broadband by the new year.

#1462709 - 29/04/2018 11:21 Re: NBN Woes, losses and wins [Re: SBT]
Mega Offline

Quote:
Bill Morrow slams the door and kicks the dog as he prepares to log off from his dud NBN

The CEO of the NBN Corporation now admits that the government is to blame for Australia''s slow Internet speeds, writes Laurie Patton.

THE DEPARTING HEAD of the trouble-plagued NBN, Bill Morrow, has finally come clean. He has finally conceded that reusing Telstra’s ageing copper wires is creating major problems.

In a paper published by NBN Co last week, Morrow admits that fibre-to-the-node (FTTN) is causing lower speeds and more dropouts than the fibre which was originally being rolled out. He also acknowledges that there are too many dissatisfied NBN customers.

This is the man who abused parliamentary privilege to slander me for saying what he’s now admitting. Despite a reproach from members of the Senate Estimates committee he was fronting, Morrow refused to apologise, leading the committee to publish my repudiation of his false assertions. Ironically, I also noted my contention that FTTN was creating the very problems NBN Co is now facing.

Until late last year I was the executive director of Internet Australia. On IA’s behalf I helped lead the campaign for #BetterBroadband. IA is a member-based group that includes many of the top broadband experts in the country. In a survey in 2015, 80% of the members who voted told us they didn’t think the copper-based FTTN option was good enough.

18 months ago I met with Drew Clarke when he was the Prime Minister’s Chief of Staff and told him exactly what Bill Morrow is now saying. He ignored my advice. Now he’s on the NBN Co board!

Had the government moved back then they could have adopted the new FTTdp (fibre-to-the-distribution-point) technology much earlier and saved a lot of NBN customers angst, while also saving the country a lot of money. According to IA’s experts, we can expect to see NBN Co start ripping out copper wires within five to 10 years.

Fighting for a 21st century broadband service has not been without its challenges. Last year, The Australian published a series of false and defamatory articles attacking IA and me. I had no choice but to threaten to sue for defamation.

Part of the settlement involved The Australian publishing this article and appending it via a link to the earlier stories. It is even more apposite in the light of Mr Morrow’s belated confession.

What I pointed out back then, in December 2017, is the way we’re heading now, whoever is in office in 2020 will have to deal with our biggest ever national infrastructure debacle. NBN Co will owe the government about $19 billion, which it is having to borrow to complete the rollout and will have to fund an expensive replacement of FTTN. I also noted that the Parliamentary Joint Standing committee on the NBN had recently published its first report following an extensive review of the rollout. The committee called on the government to immediately direct NBN Co to abandon FTTN.

NBN Co is apparently sticking to its hoary old argument that the current strategy has allowed a quicker and cheaper rollout. The evidence is to the contrary. In New Zealand, where they’ve stuck with fibre they’ve progressively reduced their per premises cost by about 50%. If we’d done the same we could have built the NBN for less than it will have cost once you add in the expense of replacing about 40% of the fixed line network that’s using FTTN. For my money, the project won’t be finished until everyone has reliable and fast Internet access. So when you include the time it will take to rip out and replace FTTN it will actually have taken longer to build the thing.

It seems even Mr Morrow is sick of defending the mess that he’s created. He’s leaving NBN Co at the end of the year. It’s unclear, however, what efforts he has made to persuade the government to dump its flawed multi-technology mix (MTM) strategy. The rumour is he couldn’t get the board to admit they’d made a mistake in adopting the MTM model. Who knows, Mr Morrow might tell us before he leaves if this is indeed true. At least that would allow him to save some face.

Laurie Patton is the former CEO / Executive Director of Internet Australia, the NFP peak body representing the interests of Internet users and a chapter of the global Internet Society, which is the primary organisation overseeing the management of the Internet.

https://independentaustralia.net/busines...s-dud-nbn,11447

#1462717 - 29/04/2018 14:08 Re: NBN Woes, losses and wins [Re: SBT]
ColdFront Offline

They were told not to do FTTN when they made it an election commitment several years ago and ignored all the advice for political favour.

#1462721 - 29/04/2018 15:55 Re: NBN Woes, losses and wins [Re: SBT]
bundybear Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Between Bundy and Gladstone
Not quite NBN but..........

We have a new mobile phone tower in town. Common sense would have had it put on top of a hill or even the tallest hill.

Nup. It is in a bit of a dip. Reason being they wanted to put it close to a power pole apparantly!!!!

Surely there was a power pole or 3 on one the hills or even rises.

All paid for by the taxpayers under blackspot funding. It hasn't got rid of the blackspot except for the few people close to it.

#1462820 - 30/04/2018 10:05 Re: NBN Woes, losses and wins [Re: SBT]
BIG T Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Albany Creek , QLD
anyone know how long it takes after they have installed the box on the side of house , before you can actually jump into a plan & get it up n running?

#1462868 - 30/04/2018 21:39 Re: NBN Woes, losses and wins [Re: BIG T]
Flowin Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Pinjarra Hills, Qld
Originally Posted By: BIG T
anyone know how long it takes after they have installed the box on the side of house , before you can actually jump into a plan & get it up n running?

Jumping to a plan easy. Getting NBN to cooperate with your provider is a different story again. For how long it takes I would say pick a random number between one and many weeks.

#1462874 - 01/05/2018 00:36 Re: NBN Woes, losses and wins [Re: SBT]
Kino Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Wollongong, NSW, Aus
Mind was seamless and quick - 2 days to be connected and I’m getting 96mb down and 38mb up. Damn happy.

#1462895 - 01/05/2018 10:45 Re: NBN Woes, losses and wins [Re: SBT]
BIG T Offline
Weatherzone Addict

box was installed on our inv property a month ago - still cant do anything , says build in progress, could go on for months if they have to install the local area to completion before anyone can access it.

#1462900 - 01/05/2018 11:39 Re: NBN Woes, losses and wins [Re: BIG T]
Mega Offline

box was installed on our inv property a month ago - still cant do anything , says build in progress, could go on for months if they have to install the local area to completion before anyone can access it.

What rollout type are you getting exactly?

#1462901 - 01/05/2018 11:46 Re: NBN Woes, losses and wins [Re: SBT]
BIG T Offline
Weatherzone Addict

i asked the blokes who put it in , they said its the HFC

#1463000 - 03/05/2018 12:36 Re: NBN Woes, losses and wins [Re: BIG T]
Mega Offline

i asked the blokes who put it in , they said its the HFC

Have you checked your address on the NBN website to see when it's available? From what I understand, the HFC rollout was botched and most areas that were scheduled to get it were put on delay some months ago. Maybe that has something to do with it.

Originally Posted By: Kino
Mind was seamless and quick - 2 days to be connected and I’m getting 96mb down and 38mb up. Damn happy.

You must not be far from your node...or on FTTC. Whatever the case, you won the lottery.

Ours is coming on the 25th, but we're 500m from the node. House next door and all across the road get FTTC. Go figure.

Page 7 of 11 < 1 2 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 >

Who's Online
7 registered (ozthunder, mysteriousbrad, A sunshower, kathrynsview, Funkyseefunkydo, Homer, logansi), 59 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Today's Birthdays
CraigA74, Ken, Maarten Brandt, wing tip vortex
Forum Stats
29654 Members
32 Forums
23961 Topics
1497848 Posts

Max Online: 2925 @ 02/02/2011 22:23
Satellite Image