Page 2 of 19 < 1 2 3 4 ... 18 19 >
Topic Options
#1411906 - 12/03/2017 20:52 Re: Upper Trough, Storms and Possible ECL 13-20 March 2017 [Re: Floodhunta]
Wave Rider Offline
Meteorological Motor Mouth

Loc: Wollongong NSW
Good stuff ASF. I envy you driving around the countryside. Going to new places is one of my favourite things, so is driving. I would love to go on a big road trip one day, with or without friends.

Can someone please explain why this storm outbreak is occurring? What are the dynamics, why will the air be so unstable tomorrow but wasn't today. And LI's are rather low too, why? I'm not quite understanding and don't feel like checkin.

Edited by Wave Rider (12/03/2017 20:52)

Oct- 21st
Nov- 9th, 28th
Jan- 24th
Feb- 11th, 12th, 17th, 18th(2)
Mar- 13th, 16th, 22nd

#1411932 - 12/03/2017 23:25 Re: Upper Trough, Storms and Possible ECL 13-20 March 2017 [Re: Floodhunta]
aussiestormfreak Offline

Loc: Melbourne (Belgrave); Corryong...
Cheers WR! smile

My report for today...

"The early bird catches the worm" as they say, and I certainly caught the worm this morning! smile

Another rather cold start to the day here in the Capital, but when I went down to Lake Burley Griffin with my dad to see the Canberra Balloon Spectacular, there was no fog! smile

Visibility was excellent (except for a bit of mist and/or haze off to the east/southeast, towards the Kowen Escarpment Nature Reserve and the Tallanganda National Park according to Google Maps - we were at Regatta Point btw) and very little wind to worry about. It was a touch warmer than yesterday morning btw. Perfect conditions to watch over 30 hot-air balloons take flight from the Parliamentary Triangle.

And as a bonus, there was extensive mid-level (and some high-level) cloud, which made for a beautiful sunrise at 7am; the eastern sky was "literally" on fire. What a great way to make up for yesterday's dismal failure! grin

Up until dinnertime, the rest of the day was once again hot, dry and mostly sunny. Winds were no longer easterly, but now fresh, at times gusty northerly/northwesterly.

It was certainly toasty and quite blustery at times while my family and I were at the Australian National Botanic Gardens on the eastern slopes of Black Mountain. The Sun's bite was intense after the cold mornings! poke eek crazy

Cloud began increasing from the northwest after 6pm, with showers rolling into the Capital by 7:30pm.

I was down at Stage 88 in Commonwealth Park with my family this evening, seeing the Australian ABBA tribute band BABBA perform live with the Canberra Symphony Orchestra (between 7:30pm and 9:30pm). Great performance, with many THOUSANDS of people attending!! grin

The weather wasn't too bad for the most part; it was mostly cloudy, with just a couple of bursts of wind and a few light showers rolling through, but otherwise quite balmy - around 28C at Canberra International Airport at about 8:30pm according to my Weatherzone smartphone app. In-between gaps in the cloud cover, I could see the stars and the rising Moon. smile

Before it got too dark, I did notice that the weather was indeed looking convective and potentially stormy.

A surprisingly heavy shower struck at about 9pm, catching us and everyone else off-guard! The rain lasted roughly 10 minutes, coming down at an angle because of the wind. Not many people left though; most simply dug out their raincoats, ponchos and umbrellas, or huddled under trees and any nearby buildings; I myself was able to take cover under a nearby tree, protecting myself with my jacket, so I didn't get too wet. Thank goodness it was NOT a thunderstorm! smile

The temperature dropped down to a noticeably cooler 22C during the downpour btw. But the rain made it feel much more humid. poke

Around 10pm, while on the way back to our hotel in the City, I noticed a couple of faint flashes towards the east/southeast. Upon checking the Captains Flat radar, I noted a string of thunderstorm cells in progress along a line from about the eastern tip of the ACT all the way down towards Deua (west of Moruya), heading south/southeastwards. smile

They've cleared off now, and the cloudcover has broken up a bit; you can see the Moon now! And it's about 20C with a cool breeze. smile

Based on today's BOM observations (I need to wait until tomorrow for the final stats), Canberra dipped to about 11C this morning and hit around 32C this arvo.

Hoping for some good storms tomorrow! grin

#1411939 - 13/03/2017 01:16 Re: Upper Trough, Storms and Possible ECL 13-20 March 2017 [Re: Floodhunta]
aussiestormfreak Offline

Loc: Melbourne (Belgrave); Corryong...
And now for Friday's report! smile

As stated earlier, we left our home in Belgrave in Melbourne's Dandenong Ranges at about 9:30am, reaching our hotel here in Canberra around 6:30pm. Long road trip, with only three stops along the way! poke

Shortly after exiting the Melbourne metropolitan area in Lilydale at about 10am, we were faced with an unexpected detour in Coldstream!

A road closure at the Melba Highway intersection forced us to continue along the Maroondah Highway through the Yarra Valley to Healesville, and then back track through the Toolangi area towards Kinglake, adding 40 minutes to the journey. Nice and scenic, but not exactly what we wanted as we were in a hurry. frown

On top of that, once we did FINALLY get out onto the Melba Highway there was a lot of traffic, as people were leaving work early for the long weekend. poke

But by 11am we made it to Yea, and stopped for a toilet break and to grab some snacks. Then, in spite of the traffic, it was a fairly good run northwest along the Goulburn Valley Highway to Seymour. At about midday we were finally doing 110km/h, heading northbound on the M31 Hume Freeway (Melbourne-Sydney). smile

About an hour later, we drove into the Maccas at Glenrowan for lunch, but there were so many people inside (and vehicles in the car park) that it was hopeless! So we went into the Maccas in nearby Wangaratta instead.

Around 1:45pm it was back on the freeway. Soon after 2:30pm, we crossed the Murray River from Victoria into New South Wales at Albury/Wodonga. It felt so weird just continuing north up the highway and not heading east towards Corryong as I normally do whenever I'm at the Border region! poke

At roughly 4pm, we stumbled into Tarcutta to stretch the legs and get a cold drink for about 20 minutes. This was to be our last stop before the Capital.

Our final "hurdle" to navigate was road works at Jugiong at about 5pm, which slowed us down for around 5 minutes

We exited the Hume and joined the Barton Highway at Yass at around 5:30pm. Half an hour later we crossed into the Australian Capital Territory, and another 30 minutes later we made it to our accommodation! grin

Not much to report weatherwise for the road trip. Following a pleasant morning, it was a hot, dry, mostly sunny day, but with increasing high cloud. It was, however, very hazy over the Yarra Valley.

Up until we reached Seymour, temperatures were around the 20s. Once out on the Victorian Northern Plains and across the Murray River into Southeast NSW, temperatures soared to around 32C. It was slightly cooler at elevation beyond Gundagai though.

Most of the high cloud disappeared towards the evening btw. Lots of contrails from planes, especially those riding the Melbourne-Sydney and Melbourne-Brisbane flight paths as usual. The sunset over Canberra wasn't all that great unfortunately.

And we sighted a dust devil in Byawatha, not far northeast of Wangaratta at about 2pm! smile

Here's the BOM stats for last Friday from Melbourne to Canberra:

Melbourne Olympics Park
Low: 18.5C High: 23.8C Rainfall: 0mm

Scoresby
Low: 13.2C High: 27.4C Rainfall: 0mm

Ferny Creek
Low: 17.0C High: 25.6C Rainfall: 0mm

Coldstream
Low: 10.4C High: 30.1C Rainfall: 0mm

Mangalore
Low: 12.6C High: 33.0C Rainfall: 0mm

Strathbogie
Low: 8.6C High: 30.1C Rainfall: 0mm

Benalla Airport
Low: 10.5C High: 32.7C Rainfall: 0mm

Wangaratta Aerodrome
Low: 9.9C High: 33.1C Rainfall: 0mm

Rutherglen
Low: 8.8C High: 32.9C Rainfall: 0mm

Albury Airport
Low: 11.0C High: 32.7C Rainfall: 0mm

Hume Reservoir
Low: 11.4C High: 32.2C Rainfall: 0mm

Wagga Wagga AMO
Low: 10.3C High: 32.0C Rainfall: 0mm

Gundagai
Low: 10.7C High: 31.5C Rainfall: 0mm

Lake Burrinjuck
Low: 11.0C High: 29.8C Rainfall: 0mm

Yass
Low: 5.9C High: NA Rainfall: 0mm

Canberra International Airport
Low: 5.8C High: 29.6C Rainfall: 0mm

Tuggerangong
Low: 6.2C High: 28.4C Rainfall: 0mm

Mount Ginini
Low: 4.8C High: 18.8C Rainfall: 0mm

#1411949 - 13/03/2017 06:30 Re: Upper Trough, Storms and Possible ECL 13-20 March 2017 [Re: Floodhunta]
Max744 Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Kingsgrove NSW. Cooks Gap NS...
Good morning all, reporting in from Cooks Gap this morning. I'll be out here for at least a couple of weeks. I thought some of you would be interested to know that I'm watching quite a lightning display out to my West at the moment. I'm presuming that the storms are in the Area South of Dubbo, probably in the vicinity of Wellington. We had a decent shower here during the night as well. It's quite mild this morning. Currently sitting on 17 degree's. I'll keep you posted on what transpires smile

#1411952 - 13/03/2017 07:36 Re: Upper Trough, Storms and Possible ECL 13-20 March 2017 [Re: Floodhunta]
Green Fields Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Lightning Ridge/Walgett
Hey everyone, I've just moved to Dubbo, so I'm just watching the light show just to the west, lots of lightning, thunder and just started raining. So it's started early today and if it's an indicator of what will develop further east should be an interesting day for those on the tablelands and closer to the coast 😊

#1411957 - 13/03/2017 07:46 Re: Upper Trough, Storms and Possible ECL 13-20 March 2017 [Re: Green Fields]
davidm Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Orange, NSW
Originally Posted By: Green Fields
Hey everyone, I've just moved to Dubbo, so I'm just watching the light show just to the west, lots of lightning, thunder and just started raining. So it's started early today and if it's an indicator of what will develop further east should be an interesting day for those on the tablelands and closer to the coast 😊

Mate that looks like a beaut! Would be a seriously awesome lightning show there. From current track it looks like it'll go north of me, but with the way that the lightning is spreading out, I could be surprised. smile

Light rain falling here now (from the anvil of that thing I guess?)

Edited by davidm (13/03/2017 07:47)

#1411958 - 13/03/2017 07:52 Re: Upper Trough, Storms and Possible ECL 13-20 March 2017 [Re: Thundersnow]
dknever Offline
Cloud Gazer

Originally Posted By: Thundersnow
I am looking forward to a bit of thunder, rain and probably hail tomorrow afternoon. Should be fun!

Why would you want hail?

#1411961 - 13/03/2017 07:58 Re: Upper Trough, Storms and Possible ECL 13-20 March 2017 [Re: dknever]
davidm Offline
Weatherzone Addict

I guess I spoke to soon as a few minutes ago the sky erupted in lightning and thunder. Real close (and thick branching) CGs going off to my west and north, and some heavy rain kicked in.

Originally Posted By: dknever
Why would you want hail?

Why not? poke

#1411968 - 13/03/2017 09:38 Re: Upper Trough, Storms and Possible ECL 13-20 March 2017 [Re: Floodhunta]
Max744 Offline
Weatherzone Addict

What appears to be a fairly intense thunderstorm currently approaching here from the North West.

#1411976 - 13/03/2017 10:19 Re: Upper Trough, Storms and Possible ECL 13-20 March 2017 [Re: davidm]
dknever Offline
Cloud Gazer

Originally Posted By: davidm
I guess I spoke to soon as a few minutes ago the sky erupted in lightning and thunder. Real close (and thick branching) CGs going off to my west and north, and some heavy rain kicked in.

Originally Posted By: dknever
Why would you want hail?

Why not? poke

Do you want a car that looks like a golf ball?

I'm all for Thunderstorms though poke

#1411981 - 13/03/2017 10:51 Re: Upper Trough, Storms and Possible ECL 13-20 March 2017 [Re: Floodhunta]
Donzah Offline
Cloud Gazer

Loc: Woonona NSW and JIndabyne NSW
Jeepers
Got some left movers out west.
They can be nasty

#1411982 - 13/03/2017 10:51 Re: Upper Trough, Storms and Possible ECL 13-20 March 2017 [Re: Floodhunta]
DaveM Offline

Loc: Bathurst NSW about 700 m asl
Look at the radar for Bathurst and see the hole always open up over Bathurst!!! As it often does.

#1411985 - 13/03/2017 11:37 Re: Upper Trough, Storms and Possible ECL 13-20 March 2017 [Re: Wave Rider]
ozthunder Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Mt Warrigal, NSW, Australia
Originally Posted By: Wave Rider
Good stuff ASF. I envy you driving around the countryside. Going to new places is one of my favourite things, so is driving. I would love to go on a big road trip one day, with or without friends.

Can someone please explain why this storm outbreak is occurring? What are the dynamics, why will the air be so unstable tomorrow but wasn't today. And LI's are rather low too, why? I'm not quite understanding and don't feel like checkin.

A miniature USA type setup, a closed low over land and an upper level cold pool. In the NE and E side of that low moist NE winds will bring in ample moisture. The real interest though comes with the drier SW winds around the back side of the low, this should create a dry line and sunshine. Storms will fire on the edge of the dryline this afternoon, which should be anywhere from Dubbo, Coonabarabran Gunnedah, Narrabri and onto northern tablelands tonight. Watching with interest. Large hail is certain somewhere, cannot rule out the T word.

#1411986 - 13/03/2017 11:38 Re: Upper Trough, Storms and Possible ECL 13-20 March 2017 [Re: DaveM]
ozthunder Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Mt Warrigal, NSW, Australia
Originally Posted By: DaveM
Look at the radar for Bathurst and see the hole always open up over Bathurst!!! As it often does.

You want as big a hole as possible until after 3pm-4pm this afternoon, otherwise you will fall short of energy.

#1411988 - 13/03/2017 11:49 Re: Upper Trough, Storms and Possible ECL 13-20 March 2017 [Re: ozthunder]
Wave Rider Offline

Loc: Wollongong NSW
Originally Posted By: ozthunder

A miniature USA type setup, a closed low over land and an upper level cold pool. In the NE and E side of that low moist NE winds will bring in ample moisture. The real interest though comes with the drier SW winds around the back side of the low, this should create a dry line and sunshine. Storms will fire on the edge of the dryline this afternoon, which should be anywhere from Dubbo, Coonabarabran Gunnedah, Narrabri and onto northern tablelands tonight. Watching with interest. Large hail is certain somewhere, cannot rule out the T word.

Thanks for explanation ozthunder, sounds like a really good setup. I'll be watching the Namoi radar very closely.

Max, you may get some really nasty storms this afternoon.

Edited by Wave Rider (13/03/2017 11:50)

Oct- 21st
Nov- 9th, 28th
Jan- 24th
Feb- 11th, 12th, 17th, 18th(2)
Mar- 13th, 16th, 22nd

#1411989 - 13/03/2017 12:09 Re: Upper Trough, Storms and Possible ECL 13-20 March 2017 [Re: Floodhunta]
DaveM Offline

Loc: Bathurst NSW about 700 m asl
Oz - indeed you are correct, I was just moaning because I wanted some nice precip before that lot buggered off grin

Watching those cells up around Dubbo to Cobar.

The breeze here at the moment is surprisingly cool. Temp about 17 or 18.

Sun being out out will warm it though quite quickly.

#1411990 - 13/03/2017 12:17 Re: Upper Trough, Storms and Possible ECL 13-20 March 2017 [Re: Wave Rider]
Max744 Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Max, you may get some really nasty storms this afternoon.

A distinct possibility Reilly, we've already had one good one this morning. There's some really deep booming thunder coming in from the North West again now.

Edited by Max744 (13/03/2017 12:18)

#1411992 - 13/03/2017 12:38 Re: Upper Trough, Storms and Possible ECL 13-20 March 2017 [Re: Floodhunta]
davidm Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Had a break in the rain so went to tip the bucket - 15.4mm smile

Skies to the west are super dark and can hear a pretty much constant distant rumbling.

#1411994 - 13/03/2017 12:45 Re: Upper Trough, Storms and Possible ECL 13-20 March 2017 [Re: davidm]
Max744 Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Originally Posted By: davidm
Had a break in the rain so went to tip the bucket - 15.4mm smile

Skies to the west are super dark and can hear a pretty much constant distant rumbling.

Yeah, it's the same out here David. It's been a constant low rumble for at least the last hour. It actually looks like a bit of a left mover coming my way at the moment. I just moved the car under cover smile

#1412003 - 13/03/2017 13:33 Re: Upper Trough, Storms and Possible ECL 13-20 March 2017 [Re: Floodhunta]
orangeroughy Offline
Weather Freak

There's a SSW out for the CT's and surrounds. Radar shows some intense cells forming in the Dubbo region, although tending to weaken as they leave the warmer air of the slopes/plains and head SE into the much cooler CT's. Will be interesting to see if they make it to Orange/Bathurst, which are right on the edge of the SSW area, before running out of puff.

Edited by orangeroughy (13/03/2017 13:39)

Page 2 of 19 < 1 2 3 4 ... 18 19 >

Who's Online
21 registered (Clouded, Thrombus, bundybear, mysteriousbrad, Jettnewfoundland, bradcq, Snapper22lb, bip333, Tel, petethemoskeet, DaveMuzza, WeatherNut96, Blair Trewin, whiztler, redbucket, meedee, Darren J, S.Novaehollandia, Locke, justme, 1 invisible), 402 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Today's Birthdays
Ian123, Kel M, kelmac, Kirk, Lunar, Scruffy, Skipper07
Forum Stats
29193 Members
32 Forums
23564 Topics
1446499 Posts

Max Online: 2925 @ 02/02/2011 22:23
Satellite Image