Page 197 of 203 < 1 2 ... 195 196 197 198 199 ... 202 203 >
Topic Options
#1412201 - 14/03/2017 10:33 Re: Australian Politics [Re: bundybear]
ColdFront Offline
Meteorological Motor Mouth

Loc: Wide Bay..Near the beach
Originally Posted By: bundybear
Originally Posted By: ColdFront
laugh One for the closet liberals and PHON lovers (one and the same) .

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfre...e-take-the-quiz

What happened to the praise of Hanson's integrity that was flooding these pages just a couple of weeks back? The integrity of a snake.

I have never seen a flood of support for her here. She has had a couple of good thoughts in her life but then gone troppo on them. Example, going from examining the usage of 457 visas to 'stop the migration'.

I personally am terrified at the way our country is going. Our freedoms being eroded daily.

We are being legislated daily into how we raise our children. How we live our lives.

The amount of public surveillance. Every phone call we make. Every key stroke on our computers. We have police tapping houses and cars. Cameras that record our movements on the road.

I know that 'if we aren't doing anything wrong then we have nothing to fear' will be trotted out. I am sure that those living in North Korea have nothing to fear if they are doing nothing their government disapproves of. I am pretty sure though they wish they could do things their govt might disapprove of.

I am really not sure that the politics we suffer are not distraction to prevent us seeing what is really happening in our country

The reason you may not have seen it is due to the way in which it has been written. Usually with something along the lines of " for fear of" or " funny how it's ok for labor" or "the left seem to think" or some line about "at least Pauline has integrity" .The last one is my personal favourite. Integrity 😂 GOLD!

#1412348 - 14/03/2017 18:44 Re: Australian Politics [Re: Brett Guy]
Seira Offline

Loc: Adelaide Hills.
Originally Posted By: Brett Guy
Economy isn't everything RW. The western world is falling apart. Has been on that path for 15-20 years. As the coalition haters on here love to point out the rich are getting richer and the poor are getting poorer. But more importantly people are watching their freedoms being eroded. We have been barreling toward an Orwellian society for a decade plus(close to two) and many have decide to try and stop it. Of course, any who agree with that type Orwellian world will disagree with me ad say there is no problem. Those who believe everyone should be forced to have and express the same opinion love the idea and don't see an issue. Hanson, Trump, La pen, Brexit etc as I said are symptoms of this. Those voting for them hope they are the cure for the disease or if not they might lead to it. I doubt they are personally but I wouldn't bet my house on it.

Making personal the issues of Western Society (be they economic, social, security, trust, reliability...) is probably not going to be in our favour smile ... just saying.

Edited by Seira (14/03/2017 18:46)

#1412387 - 14/03/2017 21:27 Re: Australian Politics [Re: Seira]
Brett Guy Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Bently Park, Cairns
Originally Posted By: Seira
Economy isn't everything RW. The western world is falling apart. Has been on that path for 15-20 years. As the coalition haters on here love to point out the rich are getting richer and the poor are getting poorer. But more importantly people are watching their freedoms being eroded. We have been barreling toward an Orwellian society for a decade plus(close to two) and many have decide to try and stop it. Of course, any who agree with that type Orwellian world will disagree with me ad say there is no problem. Those who believe everyone should be forced to have and express the same opinion love the idea and don't see an issue. Hanson, Trump, La pen, Brexit etc as I said are symptoms of this. Those voting for them hope they are the cure for the disease or if not they might lead to it. I doubt they are personally but I wouldn't bet my house on it.

Making personal the issues of Western Society (be they economic, social, security, trust, reliability...) is probably not going to be in our favour smile ... just saying.

Not quite sure i understand the meaning of your post Sierra. Could you clarify please? Maybe it should be obvious and i may not just be reading it clearly smile

Oh. Hang on. The betting bit . Ok. I am tired. Haha. Might go to bed soon.

Edited by Brett Guy (14/03/2017 21:31)

#1412405 - 14/03/2017 22:08 Re: Australian Politics [Re: Brett Guy]
Seira Offline

Not quite sure i understand the meaning of your post Sierra. Could you clarify please? Maybe it should be obvious and i may not just be reading it clearly smile

I meant this (when we personalise stuff):
Either
“You ARE a silly person.”
Or
“That WAS a silly thing to do.”
Disowning the personalisation of ideas used in communication smile . That’s all.

----------
It's not directed at anyone, just to keep in mind, if you want smile .

Doing a lot of edits here, possible also tired grin .

Edited by Seira (14/03/2017 22:14)

#1412454 - 15/03/2017 07:27 Re: Australian Politics [Re: Seira]
Brett Guy Offline
Weatherzone Addict

I meant this (when we personalise stuff):
Either
“You ARE a silly person.”
Or
“That WAS a silly thing to do.”
Disowning the personalisation of ideas used in communication smile . That’s all.

----------
It's not directed at anyone, just to keep in mind, if you want smile .

Doing a lot of edits here, possible also tired grin .

Ahh. Yes good point. Ever the voice of reason mate. Lots of respect for you.

#1412486 - 15/03/2017 09:53 Re: Australian Politics [Re: ColdFront]
ozthunder Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Mt Warrigal, NSW, Australia
Interesting how Scott Morrison has suddenly changed his tune in regard to wages. Stating on FB and other places that we now need wage growth to boost the economy.

Maybe he should look closer at what the coalition can do in the at space rather than just another thought bubble.

methinks that the WA election is a wake up call, again I state the whole one nation issue is just a publicity front from the coalition to hide the fact that they were hammered due a lot to national issues.

#1413034 - 17/03/2017 21:27 Re: Australian Politics [Re: Brett Guy]
Seira Offline

Ahh. Yes good point. Ever the voice of reason mate. Lots of respect for you.

I'll accept that graciously smile .

#1421371 - 11/04/2017 17:52 Re: Australian Politics [Re: ColdFront]
Mega Offline

Loc: Maryborough, Wide Bay, QLD
"The experts agree, Turnbull’s NBN is ‘a national tragedy’"

http://thenewdaily.com.au/news/national/...tional-tragedy/

Quote:
The disastrous rollout of Australia’s NBN is a national tragedy, according to new research by one of the country’s most respected engineers.

Professor Rodney Tucker, of Melbourne University, argues that Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull’s fateful decision as Communications Minister to opt for Fibre to the Node (FTTN), has been an extremely costly disaster.

While the rest of the world is opting for Fibre to the Premises (FTTP), Australia is embracing an obsolete technology.

Professor Tucker’s paper, The Tragedy of Australia’s National Broadband Network, just published in the Australian Journal of Telecommunications and Digital Technology, argues that a worldwide tipping point has been reached.

Globally, the majority of connections are now through FTTP. Australia is one of the very few countries using mass deployment of FTTN, with poor results.

Professor Tucker concludes: “This situation is nothing short of a national tragedy and a classic example of failed infrastructure policy that will have long-term ramifications for Australia’s digital economy.”

The news comes after reports that Australia has slower internet speeds than Kenya or Latvia – and is continuing to sink dramatically down the world rankings.

America now has 250 “gigabit” cities using FTTP, proving a boon for local economies. Australia has none.

Professor Tucker told The New Daily: “The NBN is a great loss of opportunity. We are becoming a broadband backwater. It will have profound effects.”

Associate Professor Mark Gregory, of RMIT University in Melbourne, was equally scathing when he spoke to The New Daily.

“Every Australian expert could see what was happening with technology,” he said. “The economic case used by the Coalition government was nonsense from the outset.

“This is the largest single waste of public funds in Australia’s history. Turnbull must take ownership of this mess. The cost to the taxpayer is currently at $49.5 billion and there is every indication the government will have to tip in another $5-10 billion.”

Paddy Manning, author of the Turnbull biography Born to Rule, told The New Daily that Malcolm Turnbull had been sceptical of the NBN from day one.

A tangle of copper wires in a puddle of stagnant water sums up the NBN, experts say
A tangle of copper wires in a puddle of stagnant water sums up the NBN, experts say.
“In the 1990s Turnbull made a fortune from the internet, more than $40 million,” Mr Manning said. “Unfortunately he drew the wrong lessons from his experience. He thought there would not be enough demand for superfast broadband.

“There was also a knee-jerk ideological wariness of government enterprise and an unwillingness to embark on genuine long term nation building infrastructure projects.

“The Coalition has to shoulder the blame for FTTN. It is a mistake. It will prove an even bigger mistake when we have to find an untold amount of money to upgrade it.”

Chief Executive of Internet Australia Annie Hurley told The New Daily the government urgently needed to rethink the failed NBN. She advocated a bipartisan approach, bringing together the finest engineering minds in the country, including Professor Tucker, to plan a way forward.

“We have turned a vision into a quagmire,” she said. “There is sufficient evidence from around the globe that FTTN is an obsolete technology, yet it continues to be rolled out. We are throwing all this money at it, and we are going to have to come around and do it all again. That is the tragedy.”

Andrew Johnson, chief executive of professional association the Australian Computer Society told The New Daily: “We further reiterate that the reach, speed and quality of an NBN is critical to Australia’s future economic prosperity.”

A spokeswoman for the NBN did not respond to Professor Tucker’s criticisms.

#1421378 - 11/04/2017 18:38 Re: Australian Politics [Re: ColdFront]
ozthunder Offline
Weatherzone Addict

New York Becomes First State To Offer Free Tuition To Public Colleges And Universities

http://www.thefader.com/2017/04/10/new-york-first-state-free-tuition-public-colleges-universities

What about the "Clever Country" - Australia.

Unfortunately with the mob in power ATM, there is only one outcome, even higher fees.

How clever are we?

Did you know it takes 12 Tons of Iron Ore exports to buy just 1 IPhone 7...yep clever country that one (the one selling the IPhone).

#1421383 - 11/04/2017 19:08 Re: Australian Politics [Re: Mega]
ColdFront Offline

Originally Posted By: Mega
"The experts agree, Turnbull’s NBN is ‘a national tragedy’"

http://thenewdaily.com.au/news/national/...tional-tragedy/

Quote:
The disastrous rollout of Australia’s NBN is a national tragedy, according to new research by one of the country’s most respected engineers.

Professor Rodney Tucker, of Melbourne University, argues that Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull’s fateful decision as Communications Minister to opt for Fibre to the Node (FTTN), has been an extremely costly disaster.

While the rest of the world is opting for Fibre to the Premises (FTTP), Australia is embracing an obsolete technology.

Professor Tucker’s paper, The Tragedy of Australia’s National Broadband Network, just published in the Australian Journal of Telecommunications and Digital Technology, argues that a worldwide tipping point has been reached.

Globally, the majority of connections are now through FTTP. Australia is one of the very few countries using mass deployment of FTTN, with poor results.

Professor Tucker concludes: “This situation is nothing short of a national tragedy and a classic example of failed infrastructure policy that will have long-term ramifications for Australia’s digital economy.”

The news comes after reports that Australia has slower internet speeds than Kenya or Latvia – and is continuing to sink dramatically down the world rankings.

America now has 250 “gigabit” cities using FTTP, proving a boon for local economies. Australia has none.

Professor Tucker told The New Daily: “The NBN is a great loss of opportunity. We are becoming a broadband backwater. It will have profound effects.”

Associate Professor Mark Gregory, of RMIT University in Melbourne, was equally scathing when he spoke to The New Daily.

“Every Australian expert could see what was happening with technology,” he said. “The economic case used by the Coalition government was nonsense from the outset.

“This is the largest single waste of public funds in Australia’s history. Turnbull must take ownership of this mess. The cost to the taxpayer is currently at $49.5 billion and there is every indication the government will have to tip in another $5-10 billion.”

Paddy Manning, author of the Turnbull biography Born to Rule, told The New Daily that Malcolm Turnbull had been sceptical of the NBN from day one.

A tangle of copper wires in a puddle of stagnant water sums up the NBN, experts say
A tangle of copper wires in a puddle of stagnant water sums up the NBN, experts say.
“In the 1990s Turnbull made a fortune from the internet, more than $40 million,” Mr Manning said. “Unfortunately he drew the wrong lessons from his experience. He thought there would not be enough demand for superfast broadband.

“There was also a knee-jerk ideological wariness of government enterprise and an unwillingness to embark on genuine long term nation building infrastructure projects.

“The Coalition has to shoulder the blame for FTTN. It is a mistake. It will prove an even bigger mistake when we have to find an untold amount of money to upgrade it.”

Chief Executive of Internet Australia Annie Hurley told The New Daily the government urgently needed to rethink the failed NBN. She advocated a bipartisan approach, bringing together the finest engineering minds in the country, including Professor Tucker, to plan a way forward.

“We have turned a vision into a quagmire,” she said. “There is sufficient evidence from around the globe that FTTN is an obsolete technology, yet it continues to be rolled out. We are throwing all this money at it, and we are going to have to come around and do it all again. That is the tragedy.”

Andrew Johnson, chief executive of professional association the Australian Computer Society told The New Daily: “We further reiterate that the reach, speed and quality of an NBN is critical to Australia’s future economic prosperity.”

A spokeswoman for the NBN did not respond to Professor Tucker’s criticisms.

.....and all to protect the business interests of Uncle Rupert and Telstra in return for political favour. It is a national disgrace.

#1421442 - 12/04/2017 12:21 Re: Australian Politics [Re: ColdFront]
ozthunder Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Originally Posted By: ColdFront
.....and all to protect the business interests of Uncle Rupert and Telstra in return for political favour. It is a national disgrace.

Unfortunately my initial surprise at NBN FTTN has marched out the door with the breaking of the drought. It starting raining in mid February and has barely stopped.

After initial promise internet at 7pm at night cannot even stream Poxtel catch-up without buffering at times..irony not lost on me.

#1421443 - 12/04/2017 12:30 Re: Australian Politics [Re: ColdFront]
ozthunder Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Interesting to see the coalition now desperate to prop up the housing market bubble by allowing people to use superannuation.

No mention of ridding negative gearing.

Sorry we are now in a capital city situation where the only way out is to have the bubble burst. It will eventually on its on.

I know that this will be painful, and may hurt my superannuation, which I am sure has investments in property.

Allowing access to superannuation only achieves -

1, Keeping that real estate bubble alive for a few more months / year or two.

2. Potentially depleting retirement super pensions of the people that accessed early - we are not all $150K earners and for many the early access may mean the difference between self funded retirement, or part pensions. Smart move when we have a "pensions crisis"...no.

We should have scrapped negative gearing. We should have limited foreign investment in property. We needed to decentralise decades ago. All governments at both state and federal levels have done nothing.

#1421445 - 12/04/2017 12:40 Re: Australian Politics [Re: ColdFront]
samboz Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Between Maffra & the Mountains...
Wonder how many Superannuates can risk their super. at a level which invests in real estate.

Cash or close to it is about the only safe option left, it pays bugger all but "you'll never get that nest egg together again" is our Accountants advice.

How any young couple can get going with large city housing prices has got me beat !!
Nov-61.5mm. Dec - 26mm TOTAL 2016 - 779.5MM
Rain 2017. Jan-9.5mm. Feb-23mm. March-49mm
April-40mm. May-12mm. June-8mm to 0900 17th.

#1421478 - 12/04/2017 21:06 Re: Australian Politics [Re: ColdFront]
Steve777 Online   content
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Artarmon (Sydney North Shore)
I think that we can be sure that whatever ‘housing affordibility’ package the Coalition Government comes up with will be some bullshit pretend scheme, just like Direct Inaction, a plan that would never work to fix a problem that they mostly believed didn't exist. Like Direct Inaction, it will be carefully calbrated not to hurt their constituency (in this cast the real estate industry, developers and "investors”), while giving the appearance of doing something. If it costs money, they’ll try to make the most vulnerable (and least politically powerful) pay for it.

If it includes this idea of redirecting super contributions (which Malcolm has ruled out twice but the hares are still running), or "First Home Buyers' grants" (which in practice in this corrupted housing market are actually "vendors grants”), it will not only be ineffctive and wasteful like Direct Inaction, but actively harmful.

#1421703 - 18/04/2017 12:06 Re: Australian Politics [Re: ColdFront]
ozthunder Offline
Weatherzone Addict

North Korea's nuclear weapons program poses serious threat to Australia, Julie Bishop warns

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-04-18/no...stralia/8448790

Yes, North Korea is a basket case of 90% brainwashed people led by a megalomaniac.

However that is just great excuse for Trump to get the arms industry making squillions.

He is showing his true colours slowly and they are all big business. The USA public has been duped.

Bishop (and Coalition)with no foreign policy brain of their own have jumped on the bandwagon as well.

Who would have thought that Black Sabbath have it so correct in their War Pigs song.."as the war machine keeps turning"

#1421734 - 18/04/2017 20:36 Re: Australian Politics [Re: ColdFront]
Brett Guy Offline
Weatherzone Addict

North Korea is a classic no win situation. On one hand we have the Trump response which has plenty of merit if done with the correct amount of restraint but if that is not the case is likely to lead to conflict and on the other we have the Obama response of borderline appeasement which only serves to encourage the military expansion of a maniac which will in the long run lead to conflict.

#1421761 - 19/04/2017 15:04 Re: Australian Politics [Re: Brett Guy]
ozthunder Offline
Weatherzone Addict

North Korea is a classic no win situation. On one hand we have the Trump response which has plenty of merit if done with the correct amount of restraint but if that is not the case is likely to lead to conflict and on the other we have the Obama response of borderline appeasement which only serves to encourage the military expansion of a maniac which will in the long run lead to conflict.

Agreed about the no win.

Trump did say in the campaign that he was going to get away from meddling in foreign wars.

The mother of all bombs did it for me. The expense vs the impact of ridding the world of (was it 36) terrorists was not efficient? A great win for the arms manufacturer however.

#1421833 - 20/04/2017 11:41 Re: Australian Politics [Re: ColdFront]
ColdFront Offline

Finally some worthwhile policy from the Coalition regarding citizenship. Hopefully it is not a smoke screen like their 457 visa rubbish.

#1421838 - 20/04/2017 12:04 Re: Australian Politics [Re: ColdFront]
ozthunder Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Housing affordability: Australia's politicians among nation's most aggressive investors

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-04-20/ho...vestors/8454978

No wonder they do not want to do anything. In essence they mirror much of their backers and donators.

Perhaps one investment property should be allowed under present circumstances, then after that you pay more in Capital gains, and lose any negative gearing.

As a country we need to plan for future generations and not just ourselves.

Some will say that they got there through hard work and frugal spending and are just reaping the rewards of that. That is true for many, but money attracts to money.

The musical chairs game that is the property market is spinning so fast that ordinary Australia's, especially younger generations cannot even join in.

Just wait however when the music stops, there will be half the number of chairs than expected.

#1421863 - 20/04/2017 18:38 Re: Australian Politics [Re: ozthunder]
Cheers Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: sevenhills nsw
[quote=ozthunder]Housing affordability: Australia's politicians among nation's most aggressive investors

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-04-20/ho...vestors/8454978

No wonder they do not want to do anything. In essence they mirror much of their backers and donators.

Perhaps one investment property should be allowed under present circumstances, then after that you pay more in Capital gains, and lose any negative gearing.

As a country we need to plan for future generations and not just ourselves.

Some will say that they got there through hard work and frugal spending and are just reaping the rewards of that. That is true for many, but money attracts to money.

The musical chairs game that is the property market is spinning so fast that ordinary Australia's, especially younger generations cannot even join in.

Just wait however when the music stops, there will be half the number of chairs than expected.

[/quote

I agree with you 100% .

Page 197 of 203 < 1 2 ... 195 196 197 198 199 ... 202 203 >

Who's Online
4 registered (Steve777, paj, Foehn Correspondent, 1 invisible), 265 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Today's Birthdays
Chewy1, cirrus25, Craig Bennett, Wawny
Forum Stats
29297 Members
32 Forums
23625 Topics
1454093 Posts

Max Online: 2925 @ 02/02/2011 22:23
Satellite Image