Originally Posted By: -Cosmic- (naz)
Is your cup half full or half empty?
[Possible alternative responses smile ]

It is at 50% capacity!

Answered by an Uber-Realist!

http://www.quizony.com/are-you-an-optimist-pessimist-or-realist/result.html

You Are:

The Uber-Realist

You've always been the smartest person in your group of friends. Nothing ever surprises you, mostly because you're three steps ahead of life, and that's where you intend to stay! No matter what happens, you've got a plan, and you've even got multiple contingency plans in case that first plan fails. You have reasonable expectations, you set achievable objectives, and your determination to see a thing through to its conclusion leads to great success. Your friends and family have all listed you as their emergency contact, there's no cooler head than yours, after all!

#1403729 - 23/01/2017 16:59 Re: General Notes on Psychology! [Re: J Pabo]
Seira Offline
Meteorological Motor Mouth

Loc: Adelaide Hills.
Originally Posted By: J Pabo
Originally Posted By: -Cosmic- (naz)

It is at 50% capacity!

Answered by an Uber-Realist!

Fair enough on the 50% capacity thing smile .

#1403733 - 23/01/2017 17:09 Re: General Notes on Psychology! [Re: Seira]
Seira Offline

My answer might be I'm grateful to have cup at all.

#1410254 - 01/03/2017 22:13 Re: General Notes on Psychology! [Re: Seira]
Seira Offline

#1411415 - 09/03/2017 00:34 Re: General Notes on Psychology! [Re: Seira]
kg8 Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Mt Hallen QLD and brisbane
Originally Posted By: Seira

Whatever the answer to this question is, it is an absolute at the point of asking, it must be either one or the other.
Let's be clear, first and foremost it is an analogy, but a very poor one considering it's uses in general marketing psychology. Let me explain.

It is assumed we see a glass, on a counter say, and are asked whether it's half full or half empty. From a logical point of view this question cannot be answered without more information. All we can say with certainty is that the glass contains half it's capacity.

So we look around for further information, we consider 2 cases
A/ We see someone standing beside the glass about to pour more into it from a bottle. Or conversely
B/ We see someone about to pick up the glass and drink it.

In each case we can make the logical assumption
A/ The glass is half full.
B/ The glass is half empty.

This might seem like nit picking, like being OVERLY pedantic, but in reality the process of seeking more information is very important to understand, because in the real world it can have immense consequences for your happiness, for your standard of living.

Case 1/

The year is 2007, Mrs brown is a widowed pensioner who owns a home outright in Tarrigindi in Brisbane that has doubled in price in only 7 years. A young man in a smart suit has advised her to draw $300,000 out in Home Equity so she can buy a new Mercedes, take a holiday abroad, and invest $200,000 in Australian mining shares. She has nothing to fear he says, House prices double every ten years (or less) and the Australian mining boom is here to stay because of the Chinese demand.

Mrs. brown has bought into the pop-psychology of being a glass half full person, she believes that you have to be in it win it, You have to be positive or you will never enjoy a full life. Because of her positive "the universe will look after me" attitude she doesn't question the young man's advice except for reading a few articles in the paper which confirm it.

She re-mortgages her home, takes the 300k and happily drives off in her beautiful new car, much to the envy of Mrs. Baxter her sourpuss skeptical neighbor.

A year and a half later the GFC has struck and Mrs Brown's shares are worth only 2/3s what they were and sinking fast. Also the repayments on her new home equity mortgage are swallowing up the meager dividends and a reasonable chunk of her pension. Worse still the federal government is making changes to the pension assets formula and her block of shares will mean her pension will be reduced. She still has the new car though, and as soon as home prices rebound she knows she can draw on the house again to solve her liquidity problem.

2017: Home prices in Tarragindi on existing unimproved stock are at the same level they were in 2007, ten years earlier. This is unheard of! The mining shares Mrs brown bought have been slowly sold off to make mortgage repayments over the years but now they are gone and the bank is in the process of foreclosing on her home, all too common these days. The 10 year old Mercedes, long out of warranty, sits forlorn up the driveway with a $5000 transmission fault she has no hope of affording. This worries her a lot. What is she to do with it when she moves into the cheap rented flat she has found in the heart of Woodridge?

Mrs Baxter next door, the classical glass half empty type, still owns her home outright and is quite content driving her 2002 Hyundai excel. It might not turn heads but it gets her cheaply to the farmer's market on the weekend where she saves a fortune on the price of fruit and veg. She feels sorry for Mrs Brown but she won't be sorry to see her go because her Daughter and son-in-law have expressed interest in buying the home themselves so they could be nearer in her old age.

Yes it's good to be positive, to have positive thinking. But the power of positive thinking will never outweigh the POWER of negative thinking.

Quote:

Pop psychology tells us we can't go wrong with positive thinking. But new studies show that taking account of our obstacles is essential to success.
http://99u.com/articles/7232/the-power-of-negative-thinking

The social critic Barbara Ehrenreich has persuasively argued that the all-positive approach, with its rejection of the possibility of failure, helped bring on our present financial crises. The psychological evidence, backed by ancient wisdom, certainly suggests that it is not the recipe for success that it purports to be.

#1411509 - 09/03/2017 19:32 Re: General Notes on Psychology! [Re: Seira]
Seira Offline

Perhaps it is going to get lost in the mix of it all but the point of the original glass full-empty post/question, was it was a game to see how many different possible interpretations could be envisaged. It wasn’t intended to be taken as a driving force for something some movement, logic, advocacy, politics, financial issues, and the list goes on and on and on…

Maybe it has philosophical implications as well, who knows. All I did was send an arrow flying into the internet aether, wondering whether anyone would actually respond and have their say. Pretty clear now that’s happen smile !

The intention was purely brain-storming; if you had a good time figuring it out for whatever it might be, fantastic! Have your say, have your interpretation, but don’t expect others to always be on the same wavelength smile !

Thanks for your input smile .

#1411525 - 09/03/2017 20:34 Re: General Notes on Psychology! [Re: Seira]
kg8 Offline
Weather Freak

There are as many answers to a question as there are stars in the night sky, whether we can see the stars or not on a given night is the question.

#1411546 - 09/03/2017 22:46 Re: General Notes on Psychology! [Re: kg8]
Seira Offline

Originally Posted By: kg8

Whatever the answer to this question is, it is an absolute at the point of asking, it must be either one or the other.

My understanding is:
  • A and B – must be both!
  • A or B – can be both, or one or the other.
  • Either A or B – must be one, but not the other.
The question I posed can be a reality, from multiple perspectives:
Half full or half empty.

Let's be clear, first and foremost it is an analogy, but a very poor one considering it's uses in general marketing psychology.

My perspective is it doesn’t matter where it comes from (if we’re open about it, not requiring evidence). It’s an idea/question/thing.

Let me explain.

Go for it smile .

It is assumed we see a glass

See, taste, touch, smell…

on a counter say, and are asked whether it's half full or half empty. From a logical point of view this question cannot be answered without more information. All we can say with certainty is that the glass contains half it's capacity.

Maybe.

So we look around for further information, we consider 2 cases
A/ We see someone standing beside the glass about to pour more into it from a bottle. Or conversely
B/ We see someone about to pick up the glass and drink it.

Sure.

In each case we can make the logical assumption
A/ The glass is half full.
B/ The glass is half empty.

If we use exclusive ideas, then yes.

This might seem like nit picking, like being OVERLY pedantic, but in reality the process of seeking more information is very important to understand, because in the real world it can have immense consequences for your happiness, for your standard of living.

That may be. “Your” as in one individual’s situation. There are billions of us!

Case 1/

The year is 2007, Mrs brown is a widowed pensioner who owns a home outright in Tarrigindi in Brisbane that has doubled in price in only 7 years. A young man in a smart suit has advised her to draw $300,000 out in Home Equity so she can buy a new Mercedes, take a holiday abroad, and invest $200,000 in Australian mining shares. She has nothing to fear he says, House prices double every ten years (or less) and the Australian mining boom is here to stay because of the Chinese demand.

One could start with any one or numerous real-life situations, and get one or multiple perspectives…one could also imagine any given number of scenarios. Bringing more information to light – other peoples’ issues or concerns, life situations and so on – would be helpful, if there was something we could do about it. This would bring any number of questions to light, like why? Why....why? What is its purpose? What am I (as an individual) to do about it? I can ponder it…yes, why? Where’s this going? A million questions! I am supposed to deal with a million questions more? How does this impact on the individual pondering the information? More stuff to consider, but why? What about the pondering individual’s autonomy and right to make their own decisions?

Do you understand, my perspective smile ?

Not having a go, just pondering (not pun intended). I actually got around to this post, yay smile !

Edited by Seira (09/03/2017 22:54)

#1411571 - 10/03/2017 09:42 Re: General Notes on Psychology! [Re: Seira]
kg8 Offline
Weather Freak

Perhaps it is going to get lost in the mix of it all but the point of the original glass full-empty post/question, was it was a game to see how many different possible interpretations could be envisaged.

It wasn’t intended to be taken as a driving force for something some movement, logic, advocacy, politics, financial issues, and the list goes on and on and on…

If you only wanted shallow thinking, pat answers, I can understand, but why go to the trouble of dissecting my post? That just takes a simple interpretation and makes it even more complex.

Let it go, this is a dead thread anyway.

#1411574 - 10/03/2017 09:55 Re: General Notes on Psychology! [Re: Seira]
kg8 Offline
Weather Freak

A final word, from John Michael Greer, to put things in perspective.

Quote:
...since the only things we encounter when we examine the world are representations, on the one hand, and will in its various modes on the other, we really don’t have any justification for claiming that anything else actually exists. Maybe there are all kinds of other things out there in the cosmos, but if all we actually encounter are will and representations, and a description of the cosmos as representation and will makes sense of everything we meet with in the course of life, why pile up unnecessary hypotheses just because our cultural habits of thought beg for them?

http://thearchdruidreport.blogspot.com.au/2017/03/how-should-we-then-live.html

Quote:

Thus the world Schopenhauer presents to us is the world we encounter—provided that we do in fact pay attention to what we encounter, rather than insisting that our representations are realities and our culturally ingrained habits of thought are more real than the things they’re supposed to explain.

#1411625 - 10/03/2017 19:25 Re: General Notes on Psychology! [Re: Seira]
Seira Offline

I went to the trouble of the longer post because it helped me to clarify my own thoughts and understanding, so as not to continually dwell on stuff.

I went thought quote-by-quote for that reason alone, albeit maybe not empathetically expressed to a T, they were what I was thinking at the time.

Also, if this is a dead thread, then I will cease this communication without hesitation -- I made it clear in the beginning it's:

more of a provisory than for people to pass judgment. For this reason I will not be “maintaining” it.

Happy philosophising smile .

Edited by Seira (10/03/2017 19:26)

#1411690 - 11/03/2017 11:33 Re: General Notes on Psychology! [Re: Seira]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Wantirna, Vic
Hi all.

I have not read everything about this latest discussion, but my general gist is this. It is like one's perception of the beauty of another. It is in the eye of the beholder. Meaning, personal interpretation will guide what one sees as a glass half full vs half empty.
Some see a half-empty as an opportunity to fill 'it'. Some may see it as half-full and is better than an 'empty' all together.

Psychology is only one aspect of interpreting an event or way of being. Additionally, in the equation of perception and understanding of 'things' and people in life, is natural intuition, the laws/ways of nature itself, non man-made interpretations of how 'things' just are or can be, and so on.

So where one 'is' in their life, how they soulfully and intuitively interpret what they see or is presented to them [e.g. the glass half full or half empty hypothesis], what has been and is their life experience and their perception and hope for the future - will help form their opinion and perception of the idea of the 'glass half full or half empty', as it pertains to their interpretation.

Hope I made sense - and this is just my perspective.

Cheers, Duck.

#1411908 - 12/03/2017 21:11 Re: General Notes on Psychology! [Re: Seira]
Seira Offline

My intuition says to not overthink the whole glass full-empty idea smile .

#1412233 - 14/03/2017 11:30 Re: General Notes on Psychology! [Re: Seira]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Wantirna, Vic
I agree Seira [regarding discussion]. Overthinking and getting 'stuck' on such things can be frustrating if one is stuck in that sort of 'holding pattern' personally. It can create a multitude of options like a flood of info. It is better to take a step back, listen to intuition and take a breather [in the overall picture]. I love a good philosophical discussion and brainstorming though occasionally smile some great alternative ideas and thoughts can be considered and keeps the cobwebs from gathering in my ol' Duck cogs [brain] wink

Cheers to all Duck.

Edited by duckweather (14/03/2017 11:32)

#1412350 - 14/03/2017 19:04 Re: General Notes on Psychology! [Re: duckweather]
Seira Offline

Originally Posted By: duckweather
I agree Seira [regarding discussion]. Overthinking and getting 'stuck' on such things can be frustrating if one is stuck in that sort of 'holding pattern' personally. It can create a multitude of options like a flood of info. It is better to take a step back, listen to intuition and take a breather [in the overall picture]. I love a good philosophical discussion and brainstorming though occasionally smile some great alternative ideas and thoughts can be considered and keeps the cobwebs from gathering in my ol' Duck cogs [brain] wink

Cheers to all Duck.

Agree smile .

#1412846 - 16/03/2017 21:34 Re: General Notes on Psychology! [Re: Seira]
Seira Offline

Originally Posted By: duckweather

Cheers to all Duck.

Agree smile .

Important ingredient = humour!

Edited by Seira (16/03/2017 21:34)

#1420283 - 31/03/2017 23:40 Re: General Notes on Psychology! [Re: Seira]
Seira Offline

Interpretations - One Perspective:

Arrogance: Only their opinion matters.
Assertiveness: Are open to others' opinions, regardless of knowledge, experience or skills.

Arrogance: Ignore others.
Assertiveness: Are willing to listen to others.

Arrogance: Dictate the terms of discussion.
Assertiveness: Are open to discussion.

Open discussion is: inviting, encouraging, complex, straightforward, heated, calm, insightful, eye-opening, humorous, serious...non-judgmental, multiple subjects, meaningful smile , factual.

Closed (exclusive discussion, either explicitly or implicitly) is: provoking anxiety/reluctance, discouraging, argumentative, heated, can be vitriolic, suppressive, narrow, second-guessing, judgmental, serious, facetious...one-sided, one subject, can be subjective and confusing.

One rule: if it takes one longer to think about whether to contribute to discussion, than to actually discuss things, that may be telling one something.

#1420653 - 03/04/2017 22:22 Re: General Notes on Psychology! [Re: Seira]
Seira Offline

Game:
Read the following and see how far you get before you start giggling, or more:

How does Moses make his tea? Hebrews it.
I used to be a banker, but then I lost interest.
We’re going on a class trip to the Coca-cola Factory. I hope there’s no pop-quiz.
I didn’t like my beard at first. Then it grew on me.
Broken pencils are pretty much pointless.
What do you call a dinosaur with an extensive vocabulary? A thesaurus.
I dropped out of the Communism class because of lousy Marx.

I did a theoretical performance about puns. It was a play on words wink .
My point: Have fun smile !
[Not about success or failure.]

#1420921 - 06/04/2017 20:54 Re: General Notes on Psychology! [Re: Seira]
Reign Beau Offline
Cloud Gazer

Loc: NSW, Australia
A little bit corny, but I did get a giggle. smile

#1421372 - 11/04/2017 18:03 Re: General Notes on Psychology! [Re: Seira]
Seira Offline

Glad you managed to get some humour out of it smile ! More [humour] -- in kind spirit -- is desired smile .

Edited by Seira (11/04/2017 18:13)

Page 17 of 19 < 1 2 ... 15 16 17 18 19 >

Who's Online
8 registered (StormCapture, bundybear, Stale fish, DerekHV, raiderpete82, Steve777, Mathew, 1 invisible), 281 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Today's Birthdays
Aza1987, Dominic, NoRelationToNed, potato, Radar05
Forum Stats
29315 Members
32 Forums
23640 Topics
1456143 Posts

Max Online: 2925 @ 02/02/2011 22:23
Satellite Image