Topic Options
#1422653 - 02/05/2017 14:10 Re: Australian Politics [Re: Wild Wassa]
ozthunder Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Mt Warrigal, NSW, Australia
Originally Posted By: Wild Wassa
Originally Posted By: Markus
Could be worse I guess, could be America *cringe*

Are you particularly speaking of the imbecile with the bouffant? Trump announced that his first 100 days in office was the most successful first 100 days in office ever. If only hubris could kill.

Warren.

..and that is where the coalition are taking us.

The Walton family are that mean that a charity set up by them actually receives more money from WALMART employees on low incomes than the family itself.

The Koch brothers are just evil itself. If they had their way all social welfare would be stopped. They would be safe barricaded behind razor wire while the rest of the country implodes.

#1422672 - 02/05/2017 19:22 Re: Australian Politics [Re: ozthunder]
Seira Offline
Meteorological Motor Mouth

Loc: Adelaide Hills.
Originally Posted By: ozthunder
Originally Posted By: Seira
Maybe the federal government could invest some time and resources into making sure the news we receive about the world really is what is claimed.

They cannot do it with their own politics

Actually, I think they can do it. What is preventing them from making a start? If we're talking about resources to keep the news genuine rather peddling fake news, then the question is where are the resources going to come from? Real resources!

Perhaps we can start focussing more on economic sustainability...and less the economic growth. If I recall accurately, there is an exponential equation that describes a species that whose population continues to increase without considering the finite ability of resources!

Edited by Seira (02/05/2017 19:26)

#1422675 - 02/05/2017 21:23 Re: Australian Politics [Re: Wild Wassa]
ColdFront Offline

Loc: Wide Bay..Near the beach
If only hubris could kill.

It does. Just not the people it should.

#1422696 - 03/05/2017 13:50 Re: Australian Politics [Re: Seira]
ozthunder Offline
Weatherzone Addict

!

Perhaps we can start focussing more on economic sustainability...and less the economic growth. !

When you hear of record profits year after year nobody thinks where those profits come from. There are no free rides. If your bank makes a record profit it is because you are being done over, or the branch level bank staff are being flogged and underpaid. It could be because they took business from another bank, but they all seem pretty comfortable in regard to profits.

It gets back to the money merry go round in the economy "musical chairs", beware when the music stops.

#1422714 - 03/05/2017 20:26 Re: Australian Politics [Re: ColdFront]
Seira Offline

Loc: Adelaide Hills.
!

Perhaps we can start focussing more on economic sustainability...and less the economic growth. !

When you hear of record profits year after year nobody thinks where those profits come from. There are no free rides. If your bank makes a record profit it is because you are being done over, or the branch level bank staff are being flogged and underpaid. It could be because they took business from another bank, but they all seem pretty comfortable in regard to profits.

It gets back to the money merry go round in the economy "musical chairs", beware when the music stops.

What did you think I meant by “economic sustainability”?

#1422722 - 03/05/2017 21:22 Re: Australian Politics [Re: Seira]
Markus Offline
Weatherzone Moderator

Loc: Clare, SA

Yep...infinite growth in a finite world...can only end in one way.

Seems to me to be the elephant in the room for economics, the worlds economy can't keep 'growing' forever. What happens when we inevitably exceed the carrying capacity and have to start regressing?

I don't think true sustainability is possible at the rates we currently consume. We need to regress, drop the population and find a level of true sustainability if we as a species are to keep prospering.

We need to breed less but is this really compatible with our current approach to economics? If this did happen, it will be painful I expect during the transition as the previous generations die out.

http://markdawsonphoto.wordpress.com/

#1422726 - 03/05/2017 21:30 Re: Australian Politics [Re: Markus]
Wave Rider Online   content

Loc: Wollongong NSW
Originally Posted By: Markus
Yep you have it figured out wave rider. Took me until my last year to figure out they only push you into uni out of school to feed money into unis and get us into debt asap.

Knew of an extremely intelligent guy who did a phd is some bio-chemistry related field from memory and did very well. Well one year and about 200 job applications later from throughout the country and he landed 3 interviews for which he got no job offers. He had to fly across the country for these interviews as well. Science is dead in this country and the government don't give a [censored].

Yep school was pushing us all into Uni with these In2Uni programs and other things. They always made Uni seem like the best place ever, but being there is just a bit meh. I do like the subjects I'm doing, especially earth and environmental science but it isn't as good as it was made out. And the cost of textbooks... I almost fell over!!!

Shame about your chemistry friend, I think those kinds of sciences may be dying but hopefully the environmental sciences are not. The last thing I want is to do a three year enviro science degree and have no job.

Oct- 21st
Nov- 9th, 28th
Jan- 24th
Feb- 11th, 12th, 17th, 18th(2)
Mar- 13th, 16th, 22nd
Apr- 9th, 26th
May- 24th

The longer you wait for things, the more you appreciate them.

#1422737 - 04/05/2017 07:23 Re: Australian Politics [Re: Wave Rider]
Wild Wassa Online   content
Weather Freak

Loc: NW ACT
My youngest son did Environmental Engineering at UNSW. He has worked on a few excellent environmental projects but when this government pulled the plug on funding for over 300+ environmental projects, so the doors have closed on environmental engineers, particularly for those working in regional areas.

Despite having an large hex debt from 5 years of studying civil and environmental engineering, this year he started a degree in nursing, where he is hopefully guaranteed a job with a livable wage.

This government wants our young to be in debt slavery.

Warren.

Edited by Wild Wassa (04/05/2017 07:28)

#1422806 - 05/05/2017 10:40 Re: Australian Politics [Re: ozthunder]
Weather Freak

...and that is where the coalition are taking us.

ozthunder, G'day. I think that your comment is truer than true if at any stage you thought of a time like the 11th Century.

Geneva-based Human Rights Watch has been doing the maths and counting the abstentions in the secret ballot of the 24th April, that elected Saudi Arabia, the most despicable nation on earth, to one of the 4 seats on the UN's Commission on the Status of Women.

Saudi Arabia have absolutely pinned it, because they were also recently re-elected to the UN's Human Rights Council.

The Herald Sun said it best. The United Nations is not a joke they are a menace.

Well done to the Australia Government for thinking that money is more important than the living world and the community of humans that live in it.

Warren.

Edited by Wild Wassa (05/05/2017 10:46)

#1422861 - 06/05/2017 22:19 Re: Australian Politics [Re: ColdFront]
Brett Guy Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Bently Park, Cairns
I would challenge anyone to name a species that achieves balance. The standard population curve is an exponential one followed by a drastic contraction. It is nice to think humans would be different but i highly doubt that will be the case. No ideology has ever shown any propensity toward that concept.

#1422889 - 07/05/2017 14:19 Re: Australian Politics [Re: Wild Wassa]
ColdFront Offline

Loc: Wide Bay..Near the beach

Warren.

That's the Liberal way. Always has been, always will be. "Spread the wealth" is not in their vocabulary .Just "me, me , me"

#1422890 - 07/05/2017 15:16 Re: Australian Politics [Re: ColdFront]
ozthunder Offline
Weatherzone Addict

'Keep at it, it’s great': Turnbull praises Trump for major step in dismantling Obamacare

http://www.9news.com.au/national/2017/05...epeal-obamacare

I am a bit confused because only before this Trump was praising Australia's health care system.

However it does not take away what TotalBull would like here, and that would be a 100% user pays system.

#1422904 - 07/05/2017 18:51 Re: Australian Politics [Re: Brett Guy]
Weather Freak

Originally Posted By: Brett Guy
I would challenge anyone to name a species that achieves balance.

The Peripatus Velvet Worm.

They like sex, both ways.

The Peripatus can disintegrate a rain-forest giant ... while remaining totally anonymous. They sleep during the day and are devastating at night.

The Peripatus are tiny ... but what they do is larger than life.

Warren.

Edited by Wild Wassa (07/05/2017 18:55)

#1422905 - 07/05/2017 19:30 Re: Australian Politics [Re: Wild Wassa]
RC Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: near Rockhampton, Qld

Despite having an large hex debt from 5 years of studying civil and environmental engineering, this year he started a degree in nursing, where he is hopefully guaranteed a job with a livable wage.

Warren.

The flip side is why should other people pay for for more degrees. If your son already has a degree then he should be working in that field, or paying his own way for his next degree in a totally different field.

#1422911 - 07/05/2017 23:39 Re: Australian Politics [Re: RC]
Red Watch Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Townsville
Originally Posted By: RC

Warren.

The flip side is why should other people pay for for more degrees. If your son already has a degree then he should be working in that field, or paying his own way for his next degree in a totally different field.

Maybe this part of his post is a clue as to why he is not working in the field he originally got a degree in.

"when this government pulled the plug on funding for over 300+ environmental projects, so the doors have closed on environmental engineers, particularly for those working in regional areas."

#1422925 - 08/05/2017 09:38 Re: Australian Politics [Re: RC]
Weather Freak

The flip side is why should other people pay for for more degrees.

There is no flip side, even writing that there could be is spurious. Others don't pay for a person's degree unless they have rich parents.

Here is an example, my first two kids have Arts degrees and collectively the fees came to about $11,000. Now a few years later an Arts degree is $21-$23,000(?).
If your son already has a degree then he should be working in that field.

He was for 4 1/2 years but living on short term contracts. Some projects as short as 1- 4 weeks at a time and he was not making enough to consistantly paying off his hex debt.

Paying his own way for his next degree in a totally different field.

Well who else is going to pay for it. Nursing is about $32,000.

He is going to pay his hex debts, actually he has to. This is only his first year as a nursing student and already he has a part time job in the field, that is paying him more securely than engineering ever did.

My last kid just completed a degree on Forensics last year and her salary is very handsome.

Wise heads like Max Keiser say, the best career opportunities with livable wages, lie in finance, security and health.

Warren.

Edited by Wild Wassa (08/05/2017 09:48)

#1422926 - 08/05/2017 09:53 Re: Australian Politics [Re: Wild Wassa]
Weather Freak

There is no flip side, even writing that there could be is spurious.

Please excuse this sentence. I meant to write ... There is no flip side, even thinking and writing that, is spurious.

Warren.

#1422991 - 09/05/2017 08:38 Re: Australian Politics [Re: Wild Wassa]
Brett Guy Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Originally Posted By: Brett Guy
I would challenge anyone to name a species that achieves balance.

The Peripatus Velvet Worm.

They like sex, both ways.

The Peripatus can disintegrate a rain-forest giant ... while remaining totally anonymous. They sleep during the day and are devastating at night.

The Peripatus are tiny ... but what they do is larger than life.

Warren.

Not quite what I meant but interesting to say the least. What i was nainly referring to was balance in populatiion. An exponential population growth can only end one way. And that is with a population crash possibly then followed by a levelling out but often followed by another exponential growth and subsequent crash.it is very rare for any species to avoid the initial growth phase as it exploits a previously untapped environment.

#1423007 - 09/05/2017 13:13 Re: Australian Politics [Re: Brett Guy]
ozthunder Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Originally Posted By: Brett
GuyNot quite what I meant but interesting to say the least. What i was nainly referring to was balance in populatiion. An exponential population growth can only end one way. And that is with a population crash possibly then followed by a levelling out but often followed by another exponential growth and subsequent crash.it is very rare for any species to avoid the initial growth phase as it exploits a previously untapped environment.

..the property market?

#1423017 - 09/05/2017 16:52 Re: Australian Politics [Re: ozthunder]
Brett Guy Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Originally Posted By: Brett
GuyNot quite what I meant but interesting to say the least. What i was nainly referring to was balance in populatiion. An exponential population growth can only end one way. And that is with a population crash possibly then followed by a levelling out but often followed by another exponential growth and subsequent crash.it is very rare for any species to avoid the initial growth phase as it exploits a previously untapped environment.

..the property market?

Haha. Pretty good point. Population or property. Both fit well.

Page 199 of 201 < 1 2 ... 197 198 199 200 201 >

Who's Online
15 registered (Steve777, willitrainagain, rainiac, kizz, Knot, samboz, Timbuck, Wave Rider, Max744, PaulH, Duane, niinjaniin, Wild Wassa, 2 invisible), 277 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Forum Stats
29277 Members
32 Forums
23614 Topics
1452308 Posts

Max Online: 2925 @ 02/02/2011 22:23
Satellite Image